• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Asalto

Chairman of the Board
5 Badges
Sep 30, 2008
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
Welcome on my first AAR!

This is my first After action report, so please be patient with it. English is not my native language and there may be some grammatical errors. There were images first in this AAR but after problems with image sharing I lost all of them and I didn't make backup on my computer. Now this AAR is storyline only. AAR is finished and completed.

Now to the game. I will play exelent MDS2 mod version 1,5(MDS team, thank you for this great mod!), with normal AI aggressivnes and with normal difficulty(sorry, not very tallented player).
After thinking which nation should I play I have chosen Russian federation.
Why? The thing is, that playing Russia has many interesting challenges.
USA is superpower, but it is so powerfull that it doesen't have any real enemies. China has great IC and population, but on sea it is not match for USN and it hasn't any real challenges in neigbourhood(friendly Russia and communist nations- DPRK, Vietnam, Laos, militarist Burma, India is separated by mountains...). India could be vise choice with great human potencial, but in geopolitics it is pretty isolationist and neutral.
EU is wealthy and powerfull, but all you can do with it is to wait war with Russia. South American nations and Africa are still developing, but they can be trustfull trade partners and allies.
Russia borders Caucasus and constant conflicts in this region give me much material for storyline, NATO allies are fighting for influence in former USSR republics and Russia can play global chess in those regions.
I will simulate my own storyline and try to get in some kind of cold war first, then in series of small conflicts in which superpowers could be dragged and on the end maybe global war comes. Here I must dissapoint you- I don't like nuclear weapons very much so I will try to avoid use of them in case of global war.
Storyline does not really reflect my own political views, some events that might be political to hot will be only result of my wish to make gameplay more interesting. After all, this is fun forum. I hope you will enjoy my AAR.

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six of a while ago...

Good luck, I'll be reading.

Introduction

Northern Caucasus is participated in many autonomous republics and districts of Russian federation. This region is conglomerat of nations, many of them are opposing Russian rule and want independence. Republics of Chechnya, Ingushethia and Dagestan have still not recovered from destructive wars some years ago. Ethnic unrest and insurgency are forcing Federation in constant military presence in area. On this map you can see four mechanised divisions deployed in North Ossetia. They serve as task force for rapid deployment in areas where bigger insurgency might start. Since end of second Chechnya war there were no important operations that would demand so big military force. Those units are now serving in case of war in Southern Caucasus, their most important mission is to intervene in case if Russian peacekepeers would be in danger. Russia has peacekeeping units in Georgia(South Ossetia and Abkhazia) and in Azerbaidian(Nagorno-Karabakh). In case of greater conflict those divisions can be reinforced by independent artillery and AA brigades. Two tank divisions are also waiting in provincial reserve. Other military units are too small to be represented on map, but they are playing important role. Those are local light garrisons of Russian army in every bigger town, there are also military police units, local police, republican special police, FSB border guards, battalion of Cossacs and three Spetsnaz Batallions in Grozny, Vladikavkaz and Makhachkala.

In Southern Caucasus are located three independent and international recognized republics, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaidian. Russian Federation has best relations with Armenia, while in Georgia regime of former Soviet minister, Eduard Shevernadze has mixed relations with Russia. Georgian president is friend of Russia and is ensuring Russian presence in military base of Batumi. But Georgians are criticising Russia for supporting two de facto nations, South Osseta and Abkhazia, who are beligirent towards Georgia. Russia should soon mediate between Georgians and minoritis to make compromise, or it will lost one of the allies. Georgians are very dissapointed with current regime and it is just a matter of time when reign Shevernadze will end. Azerbaidian is oil-rich country and Azeris know this. They are acting more and more independent towards big neighbour and are turning to the West. American and European corporations are investing in Caspian Basin and plans for pipeline from Baku to the West are becoming reality.

Last edited:
Volksmarschall, thanks.

Cool, like the idea for this AAR. One question, how much cors do you have? enough for former USSR territory's? If so then go on an invading spree in Central Asia and the Caucuses to start with :D

Tommy4ever, thank you.
I gave some cores, but not on whole ex-USSR.
Today reunion like this is very unlike.
I got cores on Baltic states(only in case of war with NATO- I pressume that baltic Russian would collaborate and take power so there wouldn't be too much resistance). I got cores on Belarus and Ukraine(two orthodox slavic nations probably wouldn't mind if there would be union with Russia), I have some cores on Caucasus(whole Georgia if there will be federation of minorities and on Armenia which is very pro-Russian), in CA in got cores only on Kazahstan which has great Russian minority. Other CA republics have very small number of Russians and probably wouldn't let me peacefull anexation).
Probably I won't even try to restore USSR becouse there isn't enough chance today. But we will see, this AAR is spontanous. :p

Razbojnik, thanks...

I wouldn't advocate trying to restore the Soviet Union, but it would be interesting to see if you can (story AND game-wise) make yourself more powerful than the US through honorable means. (as in peaceful unions, and intervening in wars for the sake of justified causes)

A few corrections:

Actually Leonid Kuchma was the Ukrainian president until 2005, and Yuschenko succeeded him after the Orange Revolution, and if you want to be realistic about cores in the Ukraine, the Eastern parts would welcome Russian rule, while the Western parts would most likely revolt as they are the nationalistic parts of the country.

But otherwise great AAR, I've always planned on doing a Russian AAR.

Introduction

Kazakhstan is a country with greatest Russian minority in region. Northern parts of this country are settled with Russian people from the time of Cossack colonisation and Soviet migration. Many Russians live also in capital of Astana. Kazahstan has gigantic supplies of energents and foreign investitors are fighting to get hands on precios oil and gas fields. Kazakhi regime is very opportunistic and wants to have good relations with all great powers. When American War on Terror took place in 2001, most of the states of Central Asia welcomed American army in their military bases and gave them support in war on Taleban regime in Afghanistan.
Reasons they allowed whose actions were fear from islamic movements, American financial aid and of course, it is not wise to say ''no'' to american request. Most of those nations now host American and Russian army, they are also granting military access to those countries. But those times are coming to the end. Another glboal player came on stage- Peoples republic of China. Developing Asian giant needs more energy for hungry industry and wants access on rich energy basins in region. China is trying to improve relations with Russia which is great provider of energents and weaponry for PRC. In 2001 China suggested great conference in Shangai were cooperation organisation was established to secure Sino-Russian interests in region. Those were cultural and economic cooperation, war on Terror and secured energy policy. SCO(Shangai Cooperation Organisation) is for now only political and economic bloc, but still it is not upgrated into military alliance.
But this organisation is not so peacefully oriented as it seems. Secret cause of this cooperation is to throw US out of Central Asia and secure energy bases there. But Americans have fortified there well. In Tadjikistan and Kyrgisia they have airbases for delivering supplies to NATO forces in Afganistan. They have also military access trough Kazahstan and Uzbekistan.
Turkmenistan is most interesting country in region. This nation is the third most isolated country on world after North Korea and Burma. But with gigantic supplies of energents is participating in building of pipeline cross Afghanistan, of course under American jurisdiction. Formaly this country is strictly neutral. But USA has secret agreement that USAF airplanes can use Turkmen airspace.
Future of this region is unpredictable.
There are rummors that USA has secret plan for each of CA republics in case of loosing friendship of regimes. Since goverments of those republics are providing support to USA there is no need for action but in case of ''enemy takeover'', if those leaders fall under complete influence of Sino-Russian bloc.
In each country there are ready agents who will start democratic revolutions called ''coloured revolts''. In this case ancient regimes would be replaced by democratic goverments. But there is one more less reliable option, which threats to interests of all superpowers. There are underground islamic movements that want to owerthrow secular conservativist regimes and establish islamic republics. What will be future of Central Asia like?
Post-Soviet dictatorships, democratic republics or islamic revolutions?
This will be hard war to win hearts and minds of people of the Steppes.

Last edited:
Interesting so far. Hereby I join.

Chamboozer, I will try to use honorable methods. I don't like to show Russia as tyranical bully. :p

Brad1, thanks.

Merlowe, thank you for support and corrections.
Yes, Kuchma is president, but the prime Minister who leads the goverment is still Janukovich and I thought that he is actualy leading goverment.

About Ukraine I got many doubts becouse I didn't know what to include in pro-Russian sphere. Eastern Ukrain is pro-Russian and pro-Janukovich, but west is complicated. You can count into anti-russian Ukrain all regions that voted for Juschenko, but people there are just like eastern Ukrainians, they can speak russian and ukrainian and are orthodox by religion.
Really anti-Russian part is only Galitia especialy city of Lvov.
It is interesting that people there are mostly catholic christians.
Those lands were not part of Russia as other Ukraine and were part of Austria-Hungary as region of Galitien-Lodomerien and after WW1 part of Polish republic. In this regions Russians are very unpopular and I will try to simulate dissent if there will be anexation of Ukraine.
But I still don't know what to do with Ukraine, I think some kind of civil war where Russia will intervene will happen.
I don't have any tags to create Novorossyja, pro-russian ukrainian revolters, so I will try to make something via images and game too. :p

Kurt_Steiner, thanks and welcome.

Last edited:
looks great

Introduction

End of introduction, updating soon.

Last edited:
Ah, the mighty Russian state! :) I wish you good luck in bringing this country back to its rightful place under the sun. And I like the idea of not using nukes. HoI2 system is quite unrealistic and besides, I don't believe in nuclear warfare being possible anymore. WW3 in nuclear terms will be just like WW2 and gas weapons - every combatant had huge supplies, but even when on the verge of defeat, he feared possible retaliation.

Beladriel, thank you.
Jedrek, I'm glad that you think like this. I thought everyone here are fans of nuking. :p

Part I : Orient Express

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin has been leading Russian Federation for merely three years and in all those years he was never so angry as now.
After 9/11 Russia gave diplomatic support to United States in toppling Taleban regime in Afghanistan. Even if Russians werent very happy about presence of American armed forces in Afghanistan, the didn't care to much about that. Afghanistan was bitter memory for Russian pride and people and Russia didn't have much interest in this poor country. All Russia could do was to give airspace for USAF planes and let Americans settle into former Soviet republics in Central Asia.
But Iraq was other story. Long years Iraq was good friend to USSR and then to Russian Federation. Iraq was buying large shipments of Russian made weapons. When being under sanctions Russia was sending aid to Iraq, in first Gulf war Russians did everything to prevent the worst for Iraq. Only half year ago, Russians signed soe very good contracts with Iraq about modernising Iraqi oil production. Chinese, French and Germans had same ambitions and those nations were strictly against this war.
But now, Putin could do nothing more.
Full-scale land invasion on Iraq has begun and everything looked like that Iraq will be defeated.
When Putin was reading report about progress of Coalition Allied forces already captured Basrah. It seemed that only light armoured batallion of Iraqi armed forces was defending city. This unit was neutralised in 6 minutes by heavy pounding from allied artilery. Most of Iraqi crews abondoned their positions when artilery fire begun. When allied troops entered Basrah there were some fighting with Saddam's Fedayins, militias from Baath party, dressed in civilian clothes. It seemed that armed forces of Iraq were collapsing without fight. Iraqi air force was not seen at all and soldiers of regular Iraqi army were surrendering in long columns. Fall of Baghdad was just matter of time. But there was only one question that bothered Anglo-American Allies. Where is Saddam's Republican Guard? Those elite units were not seen yet and reports from reconnaissance units showed that Republican Guard simply vanished. In time when Putin was reading FSB reports on operation ''Iraq freedom'' Coalition troops already captured Basrah. Parliament of Russian Federation(Duma) declared condemnation of American operations against Iraq with absolute majority of votes. When first armoured brigades of Coalition reached suburbs of Baghdad sporadic urban fighting was still raging but when first armoured car drove on street of Haifa, Baghdad has fallen. Political peak of Iraq fleed and Iraqi commanders surrendered with their units. Iraq was anexed. Paul Bremmer, who was now general governour of occupied Iraq disbanded all Iraq security forces to prevent further fighting. But this was capital mistake. American soldiers were not able to prevent the looting and first days of occupation were very chaotic. But still many Iraquis were celebrating liberation and due to small number of casulties operation ''Iraq freedom'' seemed to be complete military success.

Last edited:
Wonder if it's possible to kick Americans back as Iraq!

Chamboozer, I will try to use honorable methods. I don't like to show Russia as tyranical bully. :p

Brad1, thanks.

Merlowe, thank you for support and corrections.
Yes, Kuchma is president, but the prime Minister who leads the goverment is still Janukovich and I thought that he is actualy leading goverment.

About Ukraine I got many doubts becouse I didn't know what to include in pro-Russian sphere. Eastern Ukrain is pro-Russian and pro-Janukovich, but west is complicated. You can count into anti-russian Ukrain all regions that voted for Juschenko, but people there are just like eastern Ukrainians, they can speak russian and ukrainian and are orthodox by religion.
Really anti-Russian part is only Galitia especialy city of Lvov.
It is interesting that people there are mostly catholic christians.
Those lands were not part of Russia as other Ukraine and were part of Austria-Hungary as region of Galitien-Lodomerien and after WW1 part of Polish republic. In this regions Russians are very unpopular and I will try to simulate dissent if there will be anexation of Ukraine.
But I still don't know what to do with Ukraine, I think some kind of civil war where Russia will intervene will happen.
I don't have any tags to create Novorossyja, pro-russian ukrainian revolters, so I will try to make something via images and game too. :p

Kurt_Steiner, thanks and welcome.

Figures as I come from Lemberg, Ostgalizien.

If you want to have a reason to take over Ukraine, you can intervene during the Orange Revolution, perhaps have the FSB aggitate some riots to give you a pretext?