• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
So not long ago I did make a suggestion on Tibet, here comes a much updated thread on the matter with more detail and historical accuracy. All drawings I done myself are just rough pointers and in not accurate.

Representing semi-tribal regions like Tibet accuratly is not possible, in fact, only the region of Kham had over 20 different kingdoms at various times. This is a suggestion to broaden the historical accuracy, suggest new provinces and flavor for the region in various ways.
Generally speaking the region had a small population density but at the same time covers an area over 2.5 million square-km big and historical sources notes it as being rich, with trade going over Tibet from India, central asia and China with tibetans being known for exporting gold and horses and buying tea. I think it's justifiable from what I've read that Tibet becomes a slightely richer region with a few extra provinces.

For most of the Tibetan history between unified states, western Tibet would be it's own cultural and political "center". At one point western Tibet, that is roughly the EUIV provinces of Guge and Ladakh, would form a political entity which would then fracture over time, reform, fracture und so weiter. Occasionally Western Tibet would be conquered by Mongols, be at war with central Tibet or with Kashmir but for the entire EUIV timeline there would be at least one independent kingdom in Western Tibet.

Western.Tibet-.jpg

My first suggestion concerns an increased amount of provinces in the region, it should be mentioned that all of the Kashmir region/northwestern India could do a bit of a redrawing, most notably the EUIV province of Baltistan does only barely correspond the historical province of Baltistan, as can be seen in this map:
Jammu-and-Kashmir-map-new-No.1.jpg

but I will only focus on Tibetan areas.

Ladakh should get Tibetan culture and be split in two provinces, with Zangskar (at times an independent kingdom). Zangskar should also take some land from the Himalaya wasteland province corresponding to the Lahul and Spiti valleys under Ladakhi influence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahaul_and_Spiti_district
Also information on the Guge kingdom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guge
I find it more reasonable that Ladakh has Tibetan culture due to it not only being a Tibetan language spoken in the region but also adherence to Tibetan Buddhism and the close political and cultural network of western tibet. Baltistan as having been converted to islam could better be represented with an Indic culture. Besides the political conquest of Ladakh would be more within the west tibetan sphere rather than northwest indian as can be seen in Ladakh at it's height.
Ladakh.jpg

Tibet, West.jpg

Red areas circle roughly the proposed province of Zangskar, dotted circle is a rough localisation of the actual Baltistan with remainding territory better being an independent state (Gilgit)

The Black stripes indicate areas which should be under control of the Guge kingdom. Which I suggest being split into two provinces (with some territory being taken from Shigatse, possible some parts of Changtang) and the Kinnaur district of modern India in the Himalaya range to create a border to Garhwal), with many choices of what to call them. Ngari more correctly being the northern part of the current province would remain with a new province using any of following names: Guge, (Mangyül) Gungthang or Puhrang/Burang. All refering to different kingdoms/regions within the west-tibetan political sphere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangyül_Gungthang
While the Gungthang kingdom was independent in 1444, using the Gunthang as a guidline for the province would allow the Ngari province to remain unchanged. Guege/Burung are basically interchangable and would be centered in southern Ngari province

Last the Yellow circle refers to the Kingdoms of Dolpo and Lo united into one independent kingdom of Lo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolpo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Mustang (with a picture of the Lo flag)
While Lo was a small and fairly isolated kingdom, it was a major transhimalayan trade link and it will provide a better connection between Nepal and western tibet, after all the Khasa kingdom of central Nepal did at one point conquer Guge without going through central Tibet.

Also there were gold being mined in western tibet so I suggest the new province in Guge, whatever it'd be called produces gold

All in all that is three new provinces into Tibet and Ladakh changing culture (in case nothing else is done with the Kashmir region). I suggest a slim boost to the capitals of Guge and Ladakh giving them atleast 4 development each. Starting off Ladakh with 10 development and Guge with seven (Lo will suffice with 3). Furthermore Guge and Ladakh should have missions relating to reuniting western tibet and gain claims upon each other. The changes also includes more accessability in the region, maintaing the unique defensive position of Tibet but making it more dynamic.

Tibet, South.jpg

First of the paradox got the areas wrong, if nothing practical in the game is changed, at least the names should be switched with Ü being the central area around Lhasa and Tsang being the west.

Mainly working to split Bhutan into new provinces so that Bhutan is no longer part of the Ü-Tsang area and can form it's own area. Red circle denotes the future independent kingdom of Sikkim with Darjeeling hills in India which would be part of Sikkim until the late 18th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikkim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darjeeling_district#History

Yellow circle is the Bhumthang kingdom, one of the largest kingdoms in eastern Bhutan before unification in the 17th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Bumthang
These two new provinces would reasonable be poor (3dev) and start with high autonomy comparably to what Bhutan starts with.
Furthermore Gold were produced in central Tibet (Ü), I can't say exactly were but it was a major source of revenue for the central goverments in Tibet, but I suggest placing the mine in Nagchu (a 3 dev province)

Tibet East.jpg

map_022_front_100ppi.jpg

202_kham_culturalarea_1500px.jpg

As I mentioned in the begining, Kham wasn't a united kingdom nor where Amdo part of Kham or a united Kingdom. It is ard even to assert exact borders between the three main regions of Tibet. Nevertheless I tried making more sense of the area. I keep Kham as a kingdom but add AMdo as a new independent kingdom starting as a ming tributary representing the kingdom of Choné (much like the kingdom of Dege is used to represent all of Kham)
Details about the Choné kingdom can be read at this page:
http://places.thlib.org/features/24353/descriptions/81?frame=destroy

To get some more detail out of the region there are a few things that should be noted. The center of the kingdom of Choné is slightely southeast of Xining, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonê_County
Meaning a new province needs to be carved out partly from chinese territory. The region in question is reffered to as Tewo on the map of eastern regions provided. The goal ought to be a smother eastern border for Tibet taking into consideration Xining and Songqu as part of "Tibet"

Furthermore, while exact borders are vague, sources I looked at has been clear that the city of Gyegu and surrounding is part of Kham rather than Amdo, so I would keep that province in Kham and either make a new provinces in the east, or let the remaining territoy be divided by Changtang and Amdos other provinces.

The division of areas could be solved with A new area called "Hor" taking three northernmost regions of Kham.

What is the connection between Tibetans and Burmese people? distant related language? different version of Buddhism? There are no close relationship between any of the Tibeto-Burman languages in the game that would have any regocnition between speakers of the different languages. There are also vast geographic distances, and very different cultural spheres. I suggested an overhaul of Southeast asias smaller cultures before the last patch https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...g-at-south-east-asian-culture-groups.1004122/
But would go on to update that. I don't know much about Yi or Dali cultures, which direction they would most logically fit in, with tibetan, burman or chinese
Tibetan however, I now suggest becomes it's own culture group (called Bodish) To understand Tibetan diversity this article is a good start: http://places.thlib.org/features/5226/descriptions/5
Essentially "Tibetan" is not a coherent group of people but rather better compared to something like EUIV's south slavic (since it come to include non tibetan speaking peoples like Qiang peoples in Kham). The cultures of the Bodish group would be: Tibetan (In Ü area and Shigatse), Kham (in Hor and Kham area) Amdo (In Amdo area and Songqu) Ladakh/Bhotiya in Ladakh/Guge provinces of western Tibet and Dzongka/Bhutanese for the Bhutan area, (Changtang and Lo get's either Ladakh/west or Tibetan/central)

As I can't come up with how events should work, but in Tibet at the entire EUIV timeline there where serious rivalry between different sects of Tibetan Bhuddism. Historically speaking this was nothing new in itself but in the 15th century a new sect arose called Gelug (commonly known as yellow hat sect) which came to be dominant in Tibet (Dalai Lama is the Gelug leader) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelug and the older sects are commonly known as Red hat sect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_sect. War and conflict between on the other hand dominant Gelug against the older sects would be a constant element of Tibetan politics throught the whole era with different princes and monasteries supporting different sects. (For simplicity only using red hat and yellow hat is enough)

This is there this excellent suggestion will be good to point to https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-make-1-21-the-mongolia-patch.1012148/
And see a Tibet overhaul as part of a larger Mongol overhaul.
Mongols from Kubilai Khans era until today has variously seen Tibet as their spiritual beacon, ensuring several tibetan lamas prominent positions in Mongol culture
Including Phagpa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogön_Chögyal_Phagpa who were spirutal advisor to Kubilai Khan
The third Dalai Lama who converted Altan Khan and mongols to tibetan Buddhism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Dalai_Lama
The fifth Dalai Lama who with the aid of Güluk Khan became king of Tibet and ruled over Tibet with the Mongols: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Dalai_Lama
There is a lot of interesting history to build from to create flavor events and to encourage mongol interest in Tibet.

What are the thoughts of east asia enthusiasts? @Warial @JKiller96 @Semi-Lobster

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure whether there ought to be one more Kham owned province in northern Yunnan
tibet-map.jpg

Possibly there could be a bit of an overhaul of eastern Tibet Amdo-Kham also rethinking the current provinces.

One thing more about Jinchuan after I looked into the area more (instead of just names). The territories of Jinchuan seem to be almost entirely in Garze province instead, with only a relatively small portion in Chengdu. (It also worthy to add that current borders in China, and between China and Tibet are based on historical Ming divisions)

I can't search further right now, but Chinese wiki states that in Dali was practiced Tantric Ari Buddhism. So, connecting dots with Azhaliism Vajrayana fits the best here.

Looks like the topic of Garze has come up, which would cover the area Kangding (Dardo) is in. This area makes up thre modern Autonomous prefecture in Sichuan and was annexed into the Republic of China formally in 1910, with Tibet eventually giving up claims to the area in 1932 after a short war with the Republic of China.

Warial, as you mentioned earlier, the current borders in EU4 are based on historical Ming divisions, and Jinchuan falls within the area controlled by Ming China. Nearly all the fighting took place in or around what are now modern Jinchuan and Xiaoxing counties in Ngawa Autonomous Prefecture, not in Garze.

lGyBWYi.png

8rCoVFn.jpg

cARKbWo.jpg
The first map is Ming period, the second Qing. I marked Greater Jinchuan (金川) and Lesser Jinchuan(小金川). As you agreed, the province borders follow Ming divisions so that would mean that both rivers are outside of Ming borders. On the second map (which shows administration post-campaign) Jinchuan was under the government of Maogong subprefecture (懋功厅).

Last edited:
So I was thinking concerning the Tusi system and Ming borders. I suspect the Choné kingdom would end up on Ming maps within their borders, since Ming bestowed the title of Tusi on the Choné king who volontarily took it and then continued to reign virtually independent, paying tribute to china and being the key player in the horse-tea trades northern route. Ming also bestowed on the Choné king to be ruler of all of Amdo, a territory the king nor the Ming emperor had no de facto control over and contained a few petty kingdoms, a few independent monasteries and nomads (the Golok confederation being the most proiminant political structure among the nomads). For obvious reason I think one kingdom to represent Amdo should be enough (if it even becomes an independent state) and using the Choné kingdom as base for that becomes the most viable (rather than the Rebgong monastery for example) It would have to take some border territory from Ming to form a new province but that should not be unrealistic that Ming doesn't start with direct control over Choné.
Whether there would be any other Tusi deserving this special treatment I can not say though I doubt it and it would generally not apply to large enough territory to reward independence (Dali which would probably be the largest did not enjoy that much freedom)

And talking about Dali. At the very least Lijiang province should get Vajrayana as province religion. Possibly culture should change to Tibetan/Kham that would better represent the mixture of Tibetans, Lisu, Pumi and Nakhi people of the area. Both the Pumi and the Nakh people largely adhere to tibetan buddhism, with some even adhering to the Bon faith. Lijiang were headed by a Nakhi Tusi/Chieftain

Also following wikipedia's references I came to a book (old, from 1957) which is a fairly famous book Forgotten Kingdom by Peter Goullart who lived in China for 25 years and in Lijiang for nine years.

One fact emerges clearly, the Nakhi did come down from Tibet. Their sacred literature, written in pictographs, refers to Lake Manasarowar, Mount Kailas, to the yaks and living in tents on alpine meadows. They call the Tibetans their elder brothers and the Minkia [Bai] their younger brothers. Their ancestors are curiously linked with all the gods of the Indian pantheon

From wikipedia
In 1278, the Yuan Dynasty established the Lijiang Prefecture, which represented the imperial court in Yunnan. A chieftain, Mude, was made the hereditary chieftain of Lijiang Prefecture, exercising control over the Nashi people and other ethnic groups (particularly the Eastern Tibetans inhabiting the region of Kham) during the Ming Dynasty. The hereditary chieftains from the Mu family collected taxes and tribute, which then went to the Ming court in the form of silver and grains. The Ming relied on the Mu family as the mainstay for the control of the people of various ethnic groups in northwestern Yunnan Province

Connecting the dots it seems likely that also all of Bai territory should be Vajrayana considering the mention of Bai practising various buddhist sects more generally considered Tantric/Vajrayana than theravada aswell as Wikipedia when listing ethnic groups in china adhering to theravada makes quite a detailed list while not including Bai.

In East Asia:

The source goes back to a webpage called adherents.com which seems semi-reliable

Last edited:
Warial after looking at the maps and actually reading my own source I can say, you are actually right. Jinchuan only ever became directly part of China AFTER being defeated in the Jinchuan War, also the Dadu River is also quite obviously mostly in Garze. Warial you're once again completely right! Thank you for correcting me on that! :D

So what we're looking at is like you said, a Jinchuan province would mostly be carved out of Songqu, an eastern chunk of Garze with a small chunk of west Chengdu. The Tibetan Tusi basically begin immediately West of the Min River and North of Yazhou (Dzagu, Ekshi, Wasi and Muping). The tricky part is separating the Jinchuan area from Garze while still maintaining the areas in Garze that were still Tibetan until 1701.

Shouldn't most of the Tusi be part of Ming to begin with? I make a special argument for the Tusi of Choné to start of as a tributary off Ming rather than a part of Ming. And actually there isn't even the need for a new province to accomodate that since the Taozhu province acually is in the Choné region. They just need to redraw the borders a bit and change it to Tibetan and form the new country Amdo.

I start to suspect a more efficiant solution would be to expand the province of Songqu to cover some of the borders zones corresponding to the valleys and perhaps up the dev a little rather than drawing a whole new province?

Tibet Ost.jpg

Black stripes: Extension of a buffed Songqu (+1 manpower)
Blue: Roughly new border of Taozhou province (Tibetan: Choné) (Even in modern times Taozhou is part of Gannan tibetan autonomous prefecture in Gansu)
Purple: Possible extension of Xining province
Yellow: Ifany new province within Amdo itself Golok would be the most fitting considering the regions political independence and cultural particularity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golok_people http://places.thlib.org/features/15434/descriptions/1209

There could be some reshuffling of areas. I would propose something on the lines of:
Kham: Lijiang, Markam and Tachienlu
Hor: Gyegu, Qamdo, Garze and Dege
Amdo: Golok, Taozhou/Choné and Rebgong (possibly Songqu)
Koko nur: Tsaidam, Anding and Xining
Xining while mainly populated by Han and Hui is still in the Tibetan Plateau, note that not even today Xining is part of Gansu province, but rather the Qinghai province.
Alternatively if there is no Golok province added just letting all the provinces remain in their current areas except moving Xining to Amdo region.

Two other things I noted on Tibetan flavor:

First ideas; The current idea set represent a western fantasy Tibet as a land of peace and harmony: National unrest, stability cost modifier, tolerance of heretics and heathens. This is extremely ahistorical since Tibet was extremely shattered, with tribal and feudal lords, many small kings and constant warfare and general pillaging. The Kham people and the Golok people were notorious raiders. Religious tolerence is also completly wrong due to the continous war and conflict between different sects.

I suggest replacing those peaceful ideas for ideas more focused on making it extra painful to try and conquer Tibet:
Instead of national unrest in tradition: Hostile core creation cost
First national idea: Land attrition instead of stability cost modifier (reference to the hostile environs, mountains raiders snow)
Fourth national idea: Increased fort defence and decreased maintainance (reference to the multitude of forts, castles and fortified monasteries all over Tibet)

Secondly, when to choose an heir:
This might be harder to change, but I just remembered that tibetan theocracy works just like all others, you always have an heir who you selelct as a grown up man. Tibetan buddhism were all about finding the reincarnated spirit of a previous lama/tulku to fill in vacant roles. Thus after the death of a religious leader, there should be a regent, and after six years (normal time to find a reincarnated Lama) you would get the event to choice a successor who'd be six at the time. (Regent should be allowed to go to war)

Last edited:
Decided to write some suggestions for NI's might add descriptions later

Tibetan

Traditions
+50% Hostile core-creation cost
+1 Attrition towards enemies

Horse-tea road
+20% Carava power

Land of castles
-15% Fort maintenance
+10% Fort defense

Beacon of vajayana buddhism
+1 Diplomatic reputation

Secterian warfare
+10% Army morale

Gelugpa, Kagyu, Jonang
+3 Missionary strength against heretics

Lama leadership
+2 Tolerance towards the true faith

Ganden Phodrang
-0.05 Autonomy

Ambitions
+1 Devotion
+1 Legitimacy

Khosut Khanate

Traditions
-10% Army attrition
-10% Cavalry cost

Mongol Bannermen
+25% Cavalry combat ability

Patrons of the buddha
+1 Missionary strength

Dharma Kings
+1 Tribal unity
+1 Legitimacy

Chö-Yön
-25% Core-creation cost

Peace of the Lama
-2 National unrest

Chinese approval
-20% Agressive expansion impact

Tantric schools
-10% Ideas cost

Ambitions
+1 Land leader shock

Last edited:
For gameplay reasons, I'd like to see the Himalayas extended to allow fewer connections between Tibet and Nepal/Bhutan. I always see Tibet be dominated by Bengal or Assam, which is crazy. The Himalayas TI should be extended so that the only connections are Shigatse-Katmandu (representing the Kuti pass) and Shigatse-Bhutan (representing the Nathu La pass in Sikkim, which obviously would move over to Sikkim if that becomes a province).

This would involve extended both the Western Himalaya TI (blocking off the connection between Shigatse and the province west of Katmandu) and the Eastern Himalaya TI (to block off Bhutan-Lhasa), and introducing a new piece of the Himalayas north of Limbuwan (blocking it off from Shigatse).

For gameplay reasons, I'd like to see the Himalayas extended to allow fewer connections between Tibet and Nepal/Bhutan. I always see Tibet be dominated by Bengal or Assam, which is crazy. The Himalayas TI should be extended so that the only connections are Shigatse-Katmandu (representing the Kuti pass) and Shigatse-Bhutan (representing the Nathu La pass in Sikkim, which obviously would move over to Sikkim if that becomes a province).

This would involve extended both the Western Himalaya TI (blocking off the connection between Shigatse and the province west of Katmandu) and the Eastern Himalaya TI (to block off Bhutan-Lhasa), and introducing a new piece of the Himalayas north of Limbuwan (blocking it off from Shigatse).

I've been thinking of changing the wastelands aswell, though haven't looked into it yet. Do you have any sources to recommened? I still think there should be decent enough connection between Tibet and the south though narrowed down to a couple of passes rather than one long stretch. Historically speaking there were a lot of warfare between Tibet and the south which can't be consdiered to be limited to just two passes.

I'm adding one suggestion for creating a springboard for Mongol interference in Tibet. Adding a 1/1/1 empty province as large as possible between Kunlun ountains and Qingai lake. The province would still be passable, even realistic that armies walking across Tibet occasionally has to fight native raiders. Qinghai lake would still allow Amdo and Sarig Yogir fabricating claims on each other if the province is drawn all the way to the lake.

Point of the province is that sometimes in the 1500's or 1600's the province is ceeded to a mongol prince, increasing development by some 4-7, changing culture and giving permanent claims on the Kokonuur Area (essentially Sarig Yogir and this new province, possibly Xining). This is to represent the historical migration of mongol tribes leading to the establishment of the Khanate of Tsaidam and Kokonur (also called Upper Mongolia) which would become the basis for Güshi Khan Khoshuut Khanate.

Mongols on the Gansu-Kökenuur (modern Qinghai)
frontier under the YUAN DYNASTY (1206/71–1368) submitted
to the Ming (1368–1644) after 1368. They became
the predecessors of the Yogur and Tu (Monguor) nationalities.
The modern “Upper Mongols” stem from the
Mongols and OIRATS who invaded Kökenuur in the 16th
and 17th centuries. The first invasions began in 1509
with refugees from BATU-MÖNGKE DAYAN KHAN’s unification
of the Mongols. From 1559 to 1586 princes of the
ORDOS and TÜMED Mongols invaded Kökenuur, subjugating
the local Tibetan nomads and vastly increasing their
followings.
In 1632 LIGDAN KHAN and TSOGTU TAIJI took refuge in
Kökenuur from the rising QING DYNASTY (1636–1912).
While the Ordos and Tümed Mongols supported the Dalai
Lama’s “Yellow Hat” (dGe-lugs-pa) order, the newcomers
leagued with its Tibetan opponents. The Fifth Dalai Lama
(1617–82) appealed to the Oirats in Zungharia (Junggar
Basin). TÖRÖ-BAIKHU GÜÜSHI KHAN, with a vanguard of
10,000 men, defeated all the Dalai Lama’s enemies from
1637 to 1642 and was enthroned by the Dalai Lama as
KHAN of Tibet (1642–55). Having conquered Tibet, Güüshi
Khan divided the Tibetans of Kökenuur among his sons
and brothers of the Khoshud tribe as well as among allied
Torghud and Khoid noblemen. The king of Tibet himself
nomadized in ’Dam-gzhung (modern Damxung) near
Lhasa, where Mongols had lived at least since 1558.
Güüshi Khan’s son Dayan Ochir (1655–69) and grandson
Gönchug Dalai Khan (1669–98) succeeded him as khan at
’Dam-gzhung. Meanwhile, the Kökenuur nobility, organized
into right and left wings, was under the senior
prince, who held as regent for the khan the title Dalai
Khung-Taiji. In 1685 the Dalai Khung-Taiji promulgated a
law code for the Kökenuur confederation.

As different Mongol tribes did move to Kokonur over the era. At best there would be some preset deciding which Mongol prince get's the province (also dependant on whether more Mongols states is added) though the default should be Oirats. This would really chage the dynamics of the regionsince it just puts a new player into the game that might be a super power or be ressurected as a OPM. It could be really interesting.

Furthermore As kan be read Güshi Khan did take the title King of Tibet, so I figured there should be a special decision for Mongol culture countries to for Tibet, using the same tag as nomral Tibet but remaining steppe nomads and having different national ideas. This would be for mongol countries with vajrayana faith, that owns and cores Lhasa and have a capitol in the Tibetan highlands.

AMdo the country would ideally have three provinces, Choné (main kingdom) Golok (important tribal federation) and Rebgong (important and independent monastery) although it might be hard to fit them all in.

The areas formed to create the empty province would not be under the control of any of those polities and be free nomadic territory not making it ahistoric by actually representing the place as stateless in the 1400's

Tibetan

Traditions
+50% Hostile core-creation cost
+1 Attrition towards enemies

Winter raids
-10% Army attrition

Tribal entrenchment
-15% Fort maintenance
+10% Fort defense

Beacon of vajayana buddhism
+1 Diplomatic reputation

Secterian warfare
+10% Army morale

Gelugpa, Kagyu, Jonang
+3 Missionary strength against heretics

Lama leadership
+2 Tolerance towards the true faith

Ganden Phodrang
-0.05 Autonomy

Ambitions
+1 Devotion
+1 Legitimacy

They're faily good but perhaps a bit unbalanced.
I probably remove the "winter Raids" either using one of the old ideas like Yaks! or the Pale Earth School. Could possibly be a new NI refering to the "Horse-Tea trade" which culd give both trade power and possibly some diplomatic bonus.

Id change the name of Tribal Entrenchment to something like "Land of Castles".

I'd remove Lama leadership cause tibetans had like, no tolerance towards any alternative sect (like the wars between different sects were brutal) perhaps keeping Pale Earth School here instead.

They're faily good but perhaps a bit unbalanced.
I probably remove the "winter Raids" either using one of the old ideas like Yaks! or the Pale Earth School. Could possibly be a new NI refering to the "Horse-Tea trade" which culd give both trade power and possibly some diplomatic bonus.

"Tea horse road" should do it

Id change the name of Tribal Entrenchment to something like "Land of Castles".

Will do

I'd remove Lama leadership cause tibetans had like, no tolerance towards any alternative sect (like the wars between different sects were brutal) perhaps keeping Pale Earth School here instead.

Fairly sure all of them used lamas to varying extents (even if only as spiritual leadrship), the 5th idea is intended to refer to the destruction of the schools you don't support and thus the "Lama leadership" refers to the leadership of the Lamas of your sect hence Tolerance towards the true faith and no Tolerance towards heretics

A question for @Warial , during the Ming era who controlled Yumen? According to Britannica it took until the Qing dynasty to recover the city from 'Tibet'?
Direct Ming control reached only as far west as Jiayu Pass, a bit to the west of Suzhou. After Ming expelled Yuan forces from the area they created the so called 8 garrisons to the west of Jiayu Pass (关西八卫) composed of local Mongol and Turkic forces (like Chijin Mongols I mentioned before). Among the garrisons included were also those run by Sarig Yogir and Kara Del (哈密卫). Ming held mostly nominal control in the area. Moghulistan conquered the region under Mansur Khan in 1510s and it continued to be contested between Moghuls, Oirats and Mongols until Qing conquest.

Thanks for clearing that up Warial, changing the ownership of Yumen might encourage more interaction between Tibet and Mongolia perhaps? Right now the only viable province to go back and fourth between Dzungaris and Tibet is Qaqilik. The region was quite volatile during the Ming period from what I've read recently, for example the Sultan of Turfan repeatedly attempted to annex the neighbouring Ming tributary of Hami, eventually not only taking Hami but also the Ming garrison town of Shazhou in 1517, killing 700 Ming troops. The Chijin and Handong Mongol commandaries were tributaries to the Ming and nominally in the device of the Ming but they were generally reluctant to fight the Turfanese, eventually as Ming authority in the region continued to wane, and the and Ming payments began to evaporate, the Mongols of the area stopped paying tribute to the Ming by around 1516.

Thanks for clearing that up Warial, changing the ownership of Yumen might encourage more interaction between Tibet and Mongolia perhaps? Right now the only viable province to go back and fourth between Dzungaris and Tibet is Qaqilik. The region was quite volatile during the Ming period from what I've read recently, for example the Sultan of Turfan repeatedly attempted to annex the neighbouring Ming tributary of Hami, eventually not only taking Hami but also the Ming garrison town of Shazhou in 1517, killing 700 Ming troops. The Chijin and Handong Mongol commandaries were tributaries to the Ming and nominally in the device of the Ming but they were generally reluctant to fight the Turfanese, eventually as Ming authority in the region continued to wane, and the and Ming payments began to evaporate, the Mongols of the area stopped paying tribute to the Ming by around 1516.

Since Yumen still would be under a Ming tributary it's still a hard call for the Mongols, only if the tributary get's to cocky and declares offensive wars on places like Chagatai and Oirats. Ming would really needs some sort of nerf.

Historically speaking, in this region Turfan was ALSO a tributary of the Ming and gifted the Chinese with much needed horses. The Ming sent two expeditions to force the Turfanese, of which, of which, only one of 2300 Chinese and Mongols in 1495 actually succeeded through force of arms. In the end though the only thing that seemed to work was economic sanctions against Turfan. For the Ming, Hami was a strategic tributary for the Ming, they not only helped control the shrinking but still lucrative silk road trade but was also part of a larger policy to keep the city states small, weak and controllable. Hami was simply too far for the Chinese to send an army and would be too expensive and in the end they were unable protect Uyghur city from Turfan. So much like in game, while it is in China's best interest to stop wars amongst it's tributaries but it doesn't necessarily mean it can or will, perhaps we need use Yumen as a template perhaps from turning areas currently under direct Ming rule into tributaries and direct vassals?

I'm still trying to figure out who exactly the Chijin Mongols were, they had a royal marriage with the Oirats under Esen, but I can't seem to find anything else?