• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
any sign of an update on the way??

later, caff

I'm going to work on it today. Although I must admit I am struggling to keep this afloat. I will probably conclude this part with the Germans and then briefly cover the rest of the game in a couple of updates.

stuff

I have to say after reading this i say congratulations on writing an Australian AAR but... Where the hell is the HMAS Melbourne. C'mon that would be the coolest thing to see it in your AAR. Also since your playing on easy you should've considered taking on Japan. I've taken the entire japan mainland by about mid-1944 playing on normal and I tell you what the, action there gets pretty intense.

Other than that, keep it flowing :D

I have to say after reading this i say congratulations on writing an Australian AAR but... Where the hell is the HMAS Melbourne. C'mon that would be the coolest thing to see it in your AAR. Also since your playing on easy you should've considered taking on Japan. I've taken the entire japan mainland by about mid-1944 playing on normal and I tell you what the, action there gets pretty intense.

Other than that, keep it flowing :D

HMAS Melbourne is coming eventually. So far I've been building CAs but once my MP disappears my navy really expands as ships costs the least MP. So far the HMAS Vengeance is the flagship but as this was my first game I didn't realise that CVLs are pretty useless.

Also, the war with Japan is Part 3 :)

@midget_roxx - Actually I've just checked and I didn't even research carrier technology until 1945, focussed more on destroyers, battleships and cruisers.

Chapter XV: Recovery
Oct 1943 - Dec 1943​

It was October 1943 and Rommel the new Germand Commander in Chief of the Balkans Front had just blitzed through the overstretched Australian lines. General Bingham White had been preoccupied with the attack into Romania and the merger of the front with Russia to properly defend the keystone province of Pristina. The results was a month of defeats for the Australians and the loss of multiple provinces along the Ionian coast into Greece and the battle fatigued regional centre of Sofia. Rommel’s invulnerable run came to an end in mid October when the Australians succeeded in defending both Edessa and Larissa.

Rommel charging during the blitz

General Bingham White was forced to send his forces south from Romania to help stop the flow of the Germans and win back lost territory before they could consolidate. However most of the AIF found themselves defeated upon attempting to liberate Sofia on October 5. It will be down to the skeleton defence force in Greece and the Greek allies to retaliate. In actual fact this was too difficult as Rommel had no more than a few tanks with him and with their failure to take Edessa and Larissa meant they were on the back foot. Immediately the AIF, which included the obsolete cavalry divisions, struck back with attacks into Ioannina and Skopje. These were both successful and Rommel was in retreat. By the end of October he had retreated to Vlorë but the cavalry regiments followed up their success and scared the Germans back to Tirana where Rommel regrouped.

On the 28th the 10th Corps arrived in Skopje but immediately found themselves under attack from Rommel’s reserve attempting to come to his aid from Pristina. The General saw the importance of this battle in the ascendency of the Blitz. He threw men in Stip at Pristina in an attempt to relieve pressure on Skopje. The attack into Pristina would fail after three days as the men were still too weary from the Sofia battle to fight on. However the diversion was enough as after a week of fighting the Australians in Skopje were able to hold to province thanks to arrival of the General himself with his 2nd M.D. Even with the victory, the Aussies in Skopje would have to recover from the battle whereas Rommel had already regrouped and ready to launch another attack. He chose the cavalry in Vlore as his target and this time he proved the theory that cavalry don’t work well on mountainous terrain and marched forth.

With Rommel on the march again the General decided it was time to retake Sofia as with the way it’s occupation was slowing down his troop movements Rommel could be in Athens before the AIF get anywhere near him. Sofia was now surprisingly only lightly defended. Within the last month some 15 Germand divisions or so had left the city, some to assist Rommel further south who just got defeated at Skopje and some withdrawn further north to combat the increasingly ominous Soviet drive forward. The AIF fielded 18 divisions in their attack on Sofia and found themselves with an almost 10-1 advantage over the opposition. By November 21 Sofia was back in Bulgarian hands and never again would it fall. The most devastated city of the war could now finally recover.

Later in the month Rommel tried to continue his drive down the coast and once again put his tanks up against Australian cavalry, this time in Ioannina. However the cavalry had learnt from their previous mistake and positioned on a rare coastal plain. Rommel the great tank commander found himself defeated by two thousand horsemen. It really did epitomise how quickly fortunes had changed for Rommel. A couple of days later his relief column once again tried to breakthrough Skopje. However by now the Aussies had the 2nd M.D, the 6th and 10 Corps and two Greek divisions protecting the province. The Germans failed to take the province which sealed Rommel’s fate as being virtually cut-off. The Aussies attempted to counterattack into Pristina straight away but were too fatigued to make it happen; the General would have to wait until his men in Sofia were ready to support an attack on Pristina to have any chance.

Whilst the General planned his two-pronged attack into Pristina he chose to take the opportunity to make Rommel’s worst nightmare as reality. On December 9th, after days of heavy bombing, he sent the 2nd M.D in an assault on Tirana. The single german division was bulldozed and by the 17th the city was captured and Rommel was now truly encircled. The General let the cavalry do the honours of approaching the surrounded german tanks and accepting their surrender as he himself led the attack on Pristina. Rommel was held captive and never again threatened Australia or any other Ally for the duration of the war. The Australian attack on Pristina was now a three-pronged attack incorporating 19 divisions against the Germans’ eight. It may have been winter but it took just two days to rout the dejected Germans and by December 19 all of the lost provinces from Rommel’s Blitz had been recaptured. To seal the deal on Christmast Eve Albania was released as a puppet state with the hope of building defences to protect their own lands so the Aussies need not.

Encircling Rommel

Although whilst the AIF had been in the South defending against Rommel the Germans further North in Romania had taken advantage of the sparseness of Australian forces and recaptured some lost ground. The Germans were relentlessly attempting to separate the Aussies from the Soviets with the Australian tanks doing their best going backwards and forwards defending ground. The General was not too worried about that though because Germans forces were thinning out all over the place and with Rommel gone he could send men back north without fear of a repeat of the blitz. In fact he might even be able to launch an attack into Serbia whilst the Germans were still in a distressed state. Another crucial point was that the Germans now had no Commander in Chief of the Balkans. Now that the Balkan and Eastern Fronts had more or less combined the germans had given the job to the commander of the Eastern Front, somebody about a thousand miles from the action in the Balkans and completely incapable of fathoming the situation let alone make his presence felt in the way of Rommel. The Germans were in disarray. To make things even worse General Bingham White after four years in command was finally getting his own headquarters name the 2nd A.I.F HQ. He would no longer be in command of the 2nd Military District but would finally act like all other 4 star generals, behind the line and observing the frontlines from safety. It was one of the last additions to the A.I.F actually as the war took its toll and the pool of volunteered decreased to nothing. The Australians had just 32 divisions with which to conquer Germany plus whatever Greece, Bulgaria and Albania could offer. It would prove to be more than enough. :cool:

It would prove to be more than enough. :cool:

I dont know about that, but still good effort with getting romania. However at the start didn't you say that there would be no "gamey" tactics used and I think puppets are pretty borderline with that.

Other than that good update

PS: Just build a CVL for HMAS Melbourne ;)

However at the start didn't you say that there would be no "gamey" tactics used and I think puppets are pretty borderline with that.

Well I tried to be somewhat realistic about releasing puppets. I waited about six months before releasing Greece and did not Albania until just now whereas I first took it two years ago. Bulgaria on the otherhand I admit was a gamey instant release but even that could be seen as the government switching sides.

So will you go after Italy or keep going for the Balkans. Also give us a screenie of how Japan is going in China, because that will have a huge impact on the rest of the game (like massive superstacks in mainland Japan *groan*)

After seeing how much damage Rommel inflicted on the Australian war effort, it was incredible to see the Australians swing back the tide.

Rommel the great tank commander found himself defeated by two thousand horsemen. It really did epitomise how quickly fortunes had changed for Rommel.

My favorite line of this update. It's irony in the best form.

I've not forgotten about this. I want to at least get this to the end of the European war before I stop it. I'm writing a new update as we speak and should release it tomorrow. In the meantime enjoy another Australian war song.

Interlude 4

The fourth entrant into the ThundAAR from Down UndAAR songbook is titled Swinging Along The Road To Victory and is one of my favourites. It's suitable to add this song now as, as the next update will show, the Australians are beginning to get on top of the germans and trully are swinging there way to Berlin. It's a marching song from 1940 that also emphasises how most of the Australian men were volunteers during WW2 unlike most armies. Once again here's Peter Dawson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KncSRzAi-aw

===="Swinging along the road to victory"===

Verse 1:
the bugler boy has sounded the call to arms
to fight for liberty
we've sent our force of right defying all their might
for we need to keep our Empire free
its no wonder our songs ring around the world
if we march beneath the union jack unfurled

Chorus:
for we're marching along the road to victory
swinging along the road to victory
i'm telling you, and you'll agree with me
we're in this fight for the sake of liberty
never a job too tight for you and me
now here's to the army, the boys in navy blue
salute for the airforce and the nurses too
and now for australia, shout koo-wee

Verse 2:
the cream of our youth have answered most loyally
the call to volunteer
our nation's sons elect march side my side erect
with no thought of danger or of fear
and the kaiser wilhelm saw what our boys can do
so herr hitler your time up we're telling you

Chorus:
for we're swinging along the road to victory
i'm telling you, and you'll agree with me
we're in this fight for the sake of liberty
never a job too tough for you and me

never a job too tough for you and me
swinging along the road to victory​

Thank for all the comment by the way. Rommel's downfall was indeed ironic.

@midgetroxx: a screenshot of the pacific will come in the next update. The Japanese control all of China (some through puppets), they are moving through Indonesia and the Philippines is divided between them and the US.

Also I didn't put it in this update but Italy has reopened the African front with Vichy France support, by April 1944 they had retaken an area from Algiers to Tobruk. However the US have just landed in Morocco and are heading east. Also Italy has retaken Crete but that's rather insignificant this time and no repeat of Operation Anchor would be neccessary. Actually from this point on there weren't really any 'operations' as nothing was really planned.

Chapter XVI: Thunderstrike
Jan 1944 - Jun 1944​

With Rommel defeated the German Balkan front was in disarray. With the Russian march further north, many divisions had been diverted leaving the Balkans undermanned. By the end of 1943 the Australians had regained all their lost provinces and were ready to launch a new offensive against their weakened enemies. On the 5th of January 1944 General Bingham-White from his new headquarters launched an attack on Podgorica which was defended by just a couple of Italian divisions. The 2nd corps led the assault and arrived in the city on the 11th but was soon met by the Germans from the north and forced into retreat.

Meanwhile further north the Australian armoured divisions were struggling to protect Romania. After the majority of the AIF went south the four Australian tank division were left alone and outnumbered. The Germans succeeded in punching through northern Romania to once again separate the Balkan and Russian fronts as the tanks stuck to the more populated and flatter Danubian plains. However it was clear they would need help as Pitesti fell and Bucharest was under threat. The fighting over Pitesti endured for about three months and became the keystone in the battle over Romania as the General refused to manunever men to support the fight in case of another blitz through Albania. In fact by the time Pitesti’s fate was eventually decided in early April, the German forces were almost the most eastern troops and found themselves in encircled.

As the battle in Pitesti drew on the General once again tried to breach Podgorica where the Italian defence was thin. However whilst the cold weather of January and February persisted little ground could be made. Nonetheless the there was hope as attacks in Podgorica, Novi Pazar and Nis were all able to shift the Axis forces even if not permanently, they were unable to dig in. Novi Pazar was held for a couple of weeks but fell on February 29th. Finally on Feb 30 the Italians were defeated in Podgorica and the province was captured. What happened next was the General’s masterpiece. He had been planning for some time how to beat the Germans in his HQ and came up with what became known as the Thunderstrike. It was the Australians version of the Blitzkrieg, a doctrine the AIF had followed for years but could only now put into action. Just as the Germans came flooding into the retaken Novi Pazar which left Nis vunerable, the AIF launched a large coordinated assault on Nis personally led by General Bingham-White in his HQ and supported by the bombers. Starting on Feb 29 the German defence was overcome by March 1 and this battle proved Bingham White became an expert hill fighter. The 2nd AIF headquarters was a highly mobile force, apparently more so than the accompanying infantry. It arrived in Nis first on the 3rd but quickly fell back and waited for the infantry. The 3rd and 9th Corps arrived on the 8th but were defeated by the German counterattack and it was not until the 13th and 7th Corps arrived on the 14th that the province could be secured.

Whilst Podgorica fell again mid-March the Aussies did not fret as Nis was a far more crucial province and opened up the rest of Serbia for Thunderstrike. The Germans poured men into Podgorica where the Australian cavalry and others fought on. On March 29th the Germans were defeated in Podgorica once more but as their retreated towards Novi Pazar they soon had to change directions as the 13th and 7th Australian Corps walked into the province unopposed on April 4. The Germans were now completely on the run.

Meanwhile back in Romania whilst the Aussies cautiously watched over Pitesti they were also trying to achieve two objectives: rejoin the two fronts and push up the Danube towards Hungary. During February the gap between the front was closed, firstly Tulcea was recaptured and the then the Germans in Braila were shifted back into the mountains. In April simultaneous attacks were launched on the mountainous Brasov and Sibiu in an attempt the encircle the Germans incessantly attacking Pitesti from the mountains. Sibiu fell rather easily and then the 8th and 12th Corps were able to attack Timisoara whilst the 6th Corps would need another attempt to take Brasov. By the end of April though all three provinces were taken and Pitesti was encircled by the 5th Corps.

Down in Serbia the General was continuing his Thunderstrike now that he had the Germans in retreat. The 10th and 11th Corps retook Podgorica on April 11, the Germans attempted a counterattack from Uzice but failed and were met with their own counterattack from the General’s men in Novi Pazar. By the 14th the 13th Corps was in Uzice and preparations were being made for an assault on Belgrade. Belgrade had long been goal of the Australians, like the pot of gold at the end of rainbow though, not entirely reachable and somewhat ambitious thinking. Yet after three years in the Balkans the Australians were finally able to attack the city. On April 21 the assault was launched after just five hours the Germans were in retreat. The 11th Corps captured the city on the 24th.

The Balkans on Anzac Day 1944

The Thunderstrike was now in full force as the Germans in Romania had been defeated and Serbia was crumbling. The two portions of the Balkan front could now unite in the big push westwards. During May the provinces of Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Zrenjanin and Bacau were taken. Mostar was also taken but not until after the 10th Corps was destroyed just hours before the reinforcements arrived. This was the first Australian corps in history of the war to be completely annihilated, a sign of the volunteer shortage. By the end of June the Australians had spread further. The Australian cavalry, who had been sitting it out in Athens led a greek force that landed in Mostar and pushed up the coast taking Zenica and Split. On the 16th of June the Australians liberated Montenegro and set up a puppet government in Podgorica.

The progress in the Balkans was rapid and a massive change to the previous three years of stagnation. However if the progress in the Balkans was fast than the Russian advance through Poland was warp speed. At the end of April they were still at their pre-war border but by the end of June they were knocking on the door of Berlin itself having captured all of Poland and half of Czechoslovakia. The Soviets were marching their way towards Prague and Vienna, if the Australians weren’t quick enough they could even reach Italy first and effectively cut off the Australian advance and claim most of Europe for itself. It was time for a Cecil Rhodes style land-grab but this time in Europe not Africa. The General grabbed his driving goggles and started the ignition.

The Soviets were marching their way towards Prague and Vienna, if the Australians weren’t quick enough they could even reach Italy first and effectively cut off the Australian advance and claim most of Europe for itself. It was time for a Cecil Rhodes style land-grab but this time in Europe not Africa. The General grabbed his driving goggles and started the ignition.

A literal race against time...

I like the touch you added at the end.

land grab indeed!

with the Germans collapsing you need to think about digging in for the inevitable confrontation with the bear.

great update.

later, caff

I see the only way you can get some land is through amphibious assualts. Also try to get Italy even if it means abandoning the balkans only because you get more IC with Italy. And if the WW3 event doesn't come around will you DoW on Soviets anyway?

*wipes the cobwebs off a 7 year old abandoned AAR*

I don't know why I never finished writing this AAR. A lot has changed in my life since 2009 but I have thought about this AAR several times and it at least deserves some conclusion.

I am not going to continue writing with the same level of detail as before. But I do want to share the story of Australia.

The rest of the Western War

It was April 1944 and after several years struggle, the Australians had liberated the Balkans and linked up with the Russian front at the Danube estuary. Now the Germans were finally in retreat. The Soviets were approaching Poland and the Australians were heading towards Croatia.

1944'4'balkans.JPG
The situation in April 1944

Over the next few months the Eastern front was moving at a rapid rate. By July the Soviets had taken Berlin and the Australians were approaching Vienna. However it was quickly becoming a race across Europe between the Australians and the Soviets and the Aussies were currently losing and would most likely miss out on capturing much of Europe.

Meanwhile were rest of the Allies were slowly beginning an invasion of Sicily.

1944'7'europe.jpg
Europe in July 1944

The war was over for Germany by this stage, it was just a matter of who would take over Europe. By September, the Australians captured Paris while the Soviets took the Low Countries. Italy fell to the Australians in December and by January the last pockets of the Axis forces on the mainland were cornered in Southern France.

1945'1'europe.JPG
Europe in January 1945

The Western War drew to a close on 1 April 1945 after the Soviets cleared Norway and annexed Germany.

The result was a strange division on Europe between Allies and Soviets. It was virtually a straight line from the Danube estuary to Dieppe in France.

With the fall of Germany, the allied powers including Australia could turn their attention to Japan who were now threatening the Australian homeland...