• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A wee note on how I play

Back in the old days I used to play Avalon Hill's board game Empire in Arms, which this game seems to be a pretty good replication of, and as Turkey creating the Ottoman Empire was one of the goals needed to become a dominant/great power. The Ottoman Empire included all African provinces/nations along the coast up to and including Morocco, if you gained these you still needed to be at peace with all the other players and control your own core provinces.
So for the purpose of this game I'm trying to play the old Empires in Arms Ottoman Empire rule as well as the March of the Eagles rules. I intend not to count the game as finished until either 1820 arrives or I achieve the conquest of North Africa as well as the normal game winning domination rules. Nostalgia is colouring my play style for which I now apologise :)

Chapter 27 : Algerian Adventures

September 1807

World News Round-up

Russians advance down Italy, France in the Austrian Alps.
chap271_zps5585a20f.jpg

Again no change in the north.

It would appear that Russia and Austria are still too pre-occupied with France to concern themselves with anything else, but the bulk of Ottoman armed power still sits in the Balkans and around the Black Sea, just in case.

Algerian Command shall be conducting the operation in the west alone. The troops are carried along the coast and landed at Alger. A small force opposes the landing but is quickly crushed, Alger itself is invested.
Continuing the so far successful practice, Algerian Command is split in two with half being sent down the coast to attempt to capture Oran. Unfortunately neither city can be stormed with the forces split.
Algerian Command settles in for siege duties.

Minor Power News - France adopts Cavalry Charge, Tuscany Fast Move, Austria Army Reorganisation. Prussia subsidises the Holy Roman Empire. Britain rejects peace with Spain, Austria with France.

Chapter 28 : Inaction

October to November 1807

World News Round-up

Further Russian action in Italy while Austria moves in the Alps
chap281_zpsbca53599.jpg

Danish and Swedish action in the north.
chap282_zps729dcc47.jpg

Algerian Command continues siege duties into November. The Egyptian forces arrive in theatre with 30,100 men and lay siege to Annaba.

With the appearance being that Austria and Russia are fully engaged in an Italian campaign against France, Western Command is transported to Rusicade to speed the conquest of Algeria.

The slow build up of the Ottoman navy continues.

The siege of Algeria continues.

Minor Power News - Britain rejects peace with Denmark, Spain and Tunisia. Egypt adopts Platoon Fire. Russia rejects peace with France. Wallachia and Italy adopt Fast Move. Britain subsidises the Holy Roman Empire.

I knew I'd find some EiA players here! Looking good.

Thank you, hope you are enjoying the AAR. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the EiA connection. Great game, good times :)

Are there any tempting targets after Algeria is dealt with, or will it be time to plot the Austrian downfall?

Tempting targets? Oh so many :) The problem at this stage in the game almost all of them are guaranteed by someone or have become satellites. I've been watching Sicily for a while as there seems to be about a day of grace between lapses in guarantees and a new one being issued, so getting a chance to grab it with only Algeria backing it up is a big bonus.

Chapter 29 : Further Inaction

December 1807

World News Round-up

Russian troops appear in French Germany.
chap292_zps9173cb70.jpg

Britain reasserts it's power in Denmark
chap293_zpsae3dac1f.jpg

Finally there is evidence of Russian commitment to 2 fronts in the war against France. With troops in both Italy and Germany I'm once more going to take a risk and assume that neither of my border enemies will be looking at us for a little while anyway.

Recruitment begins for the Army of the Caucasus, this army will be based in Kutlofca about equal distance between the two major threats.

Annaba falls to Egyptian forces early in the month. The Egyptians, falling into old habits, proceed to savagely loot the town for day after day. To stop further atrocities Ottoman commanders assume control and move the Egyptians forward to Constantine.

Elsewhere the siege of Algeria continues.

Minor Power News - France subsidises Switzerland. Tunisia and the Holy Roman Empire adopts Fast Move, Algeria Coordinated Moves. Portugal re-joins the Anglo-Russian coalition. Britain rejects Danish and Tunisian peace attempts.

Chapter 30 : The Algerian Grind

January 1808

Annual Review - The treasury holds 466 ducats.
In the past year the navy has doubled in size with a mix of more transports and first rate ships added.
Our monthly manpower can now be utilised to increase the overall size of the army although some are still syphoning off to replace the attrition losses of the campaign against Algeria.
Army quality has improved a little and brings us closer to that of Russia and still ahead of Austria.
The vast horde of the Russian army now out numbers us 2 to 1, with their reserves appearing annoyingly healthy. Neither they nor France appear to have commited to total war yet.
Britain continues to rules the waves with 76 vessels of all sorts. France and ourselves being the next largest with a mere 24 each.
Appearances suggest that both Russia and Austria are happy in their war against France, this makes me happy too.
Annual1808_zps85365a0b.jpg

World News Round-up

Russian build up in Germany
annual18082_zps02c4d7bf.jpg

Movement in the Alps and Italy
annual18083_zps138feb09.jpg
annual18084_zps7b41c79d.jpg

Britain frames us for a coup in France!

New recruitment begins in earnest in the Ottoman Empire.

The war in Algeria grinds on. Oran falls when it's walls are breached, the troops move on to install themselves around Mers El Kebir.

Western Command and the 2nd Egyptian Army combine to overwhelm Constantine. Only Mers El Kebir and Alger stand against us. Alger has a garrison of some 10,000 men so this will prove to be a long siege.

The Belgrad Higher School is established.
annual18085_zps89f376b1.jpg

Minor Power News - Britain adopts the Parliamentary System, Portugal re-joins the war against France. Austria, Russia and Britain all guarantee Portugal. Napoleon takes the throne of the Netherlands, Russia rejects peace with France. France rejects peace with Portugal barely days after Portugal's declaration of war. Britain rejects peace with Spain and Tunisia. Frederick IV takes the throne in Denmark. Russia sends subsidies to Portugal. Moldavia and Brunswick adopt Fast Move.

Chapter 31 : A Vulture Swoops Part 2

February 1808

World News Round-up

Russia eats into French Germany. Spain takes Frankfurt.
vulture1_zps5c7ede08.jpg

No change in Italy and the Alps

Hardly a day has gone by recently without a peek at the Tunisian diplomatic status. The effort has paid off. Although in the French coalition none of the members are now guaranteeing Tunisian safety and the British are blockading their ports but have no troops in the country.

We declare war on Tunisia.

Russia cancels the military access Prussia gave it, hopefully cutting off part of the Russian army in Germany.

Western Command is moved along the coast in transports and lays siege to Tunis.

After a protracted siege Alger surrenders.
vulture4_zps94984c72.jpg

Algeria offers an unsatisfactory peace, in a counter proposal we offer to take them under our wing.
vulture5_zpsbb82ca01.jpg

This has been our longest war so far, while Sicily was quick and painless Algeria has been a long grinding slog. I should probably have tried to settle for a White Peace after taking Sicily. But what is done is done, lesson learnt and moving on. At least Tunisia has an army of less than 10,000 men so this will be a short war, I'll keep repeating this to myself and maybe I'll start to believe it!

Tunisian Command moves to the transports.

After a long war Britain wins a prestigious victory over Denmark.

Minor Power News - Britains rejects peace with France. France rejects peace with Piedmont and Austria.

Chapter 32 : Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the....oh!

March 1808

World News Round-up

Spain moves into Portugal
March081_zps72f98435.jpg

Minor changes in Italy and French Germany
March082_zpsd58632db.jpg
March083_zpsb0378810.jpg

After 26 days of siege a breach has been made in the walls of Tunis. Tunis falls.

Western Command move to mop up the surrounding coastal towns. Tunisian command disembarks in Sfax and march on to Al-Qayrawan the last true remaining Tunisian stronghold.

Shock News!
March085_zps7711c877.jpg

Tunisian Command reach and storm Al-Qayrawan in a bloody assault.
march086_zps8c9288e0.jpg

Tunisia becomes the latest jewel in the Ottoman crown.
march087_zpsd4381c69.jpg

There is now no dominant naval power, we are close to achieving dominance but the possibility exists that Britain will regain there former status before we can do anything about it.

Minor Power News - France adopts Grand Imperial Staff. Russia Adopts Scorched Earth Policies. Denmark guarantees Mecklenburg and subsidises Portugal. Russia rejects peace with France. Austria informs us of Military Reforms.

What are your remaining naval dominance objectives? You are very close, and it will be difficult for the British to regain Gibraltar in the face of superior French numbers.

What are your remaining naval dominance objectives? You are very close, and it will be difficult for the British to regain Gibraltar in the face of superior French numbers.

I've included a list in the next update, dispiriting reading it is too. My worry is that in February France sent a peace offer to Britain, if more start flying around the danger is that one will be accepted before I can take what I need.

Chapter 33 : Taking the Plunge

April to June 1808

World News Round-up

Weightier events are afoot.

Looking at the grand picture our remaining dominance objectives are as follows.
Austria holds one land point in Karlstadt. Britain holds one naval point in Valetta. Russia holds 4 naval and 4 land points The naval points Azov, Corfu, Odessa and Sevastopol. Land are Nemirov, Nikolaiev, Kertch and Vladikavkaz.

All three in the same coalition, however one in particular though guaranteeing the others is not being guaranteed itself. Poor old Russia, it wants to have friends but they really are just using her for their own needs. Standing shivering in the corner with no true friends and all she has to protect herself is a huge army and ridiculous reserves of manpower!
However if we want to rule Europe, and then the world, we'll need to poke a sharp stick in the Russian bear at some point. Committed to a 2 front war against France and with trouble brewing for her elsewhere it's time perhaps to find a long stick and something to sharpen it with.

The Black Sea fleet are sent to scout the Russian coastline for military activity. They find none, but continue to patrol to be certain. The Russian Navy appears to be in the Baltic as there are no Russian ships in the Black Sea, or as I like to think of it the Ottoman Boating Lake.

Western Command is ferried back from Africa. The transports then return to Tunisia to pick up Russian Command. North Eastern Command move forward from Bakum.
Leaving the Austria border totally unoccupied all Ottoman forces move towards Moldavia.

The Ottoman armies are re-organised and re-inforced. A new army is created through an oversight it remains named as Ottoman Army.

Russia cancels the military access Sweden gave them. This looks promising!

Trained Sharpshooters are distributed throughout the army.

Western Command is at sea off Kerch. All armies are in position. Apart from Zalich the Moldavian frontier provinces each hold an Ottoman army, including the Ottoman Army.

Late June, war on Russia is declared.
WAR_zpsd638e742.jpg

As if to ease the process France rejects Russian peace offers. Russia shall be fighting wars against 2 powers on 3 fronts.
Austria sends war subsidies to Moldavia, I'm taking this as a subtle hint from them that they will not intervene against.

Minor Power News - Lots of things happen the really important ones are: Austria rejects peace with France. Britain rejects peace with France. France accepts another prestige victory over Portugal. Spain once again leaves the country empty handed having captured all the ground.

Chapter 34 : Start a Land War in Russia

July 1808

World News Round-up

War in Russia
wir1_zpsb59a1928.jpg

No other news anywhere!

The Russian border towns are better garrisoned than any other nations we have come across so far, each town or fortress has to be starved or a breach blown. Although speed is important, nursing the fragile Ottoman manpower pool is vital.

Odessa, Nemirov and Dubno are invested in the first days. The plan is to take the border fortresses and towns then expand to Kiev. The Crimea will be overrun and the east swallowed up to the mouth of the Don linking with the forces moving down from the Kiev bridgehead. A good plan I feel, carrying it out might not be so good.

AoS in investing Dubno, AoC Nemirov, Russian Command Odessa and Ottoman Army heads to Ochakov.

We are barely over the borders when trouble rears it's ugly head!

Metternich becomes Chancellor of Austria and in disgust Britain leaves what is now the Austro-Russian coalition. If the Austrians make peace with France, Russia will be free to turn our way!
Once again timing is everything, one day I hope to have some! No matter what comes we must forge on.

Ochakov and Kerch join the list of besieged Russian garrisons.

Dubno falls to an early breach! AoS moves south to lend it's cannon to the siege of Nemirov.
wir2_zps7a0dc440.jpg

Odessa soon follows.
wir3_zpsdf11df6a.jpg

We would now be the Dominant Naval Power but for Russia controlling two of the provinces that rightly belong to us, Kutaisi and Tyrniaouz. I don't even know where they are.

North Eastern Command lays siege to Tiflis. And in a confusion of orders immediately attempts to storm the city! Despite Ali Pasha's best attempts the troops cannot be recalled and he can only watch helplessly as his troops throw themselves into battle. (I clicked the wrong button by mistake!)
A sigh of relief, potential disaster turns to victory.
wir4_zps56b10d15.jpg

The garrison of Nemirov, lead by none other than the Tsar of Russia falls, when AoS and AoC assault the breach.
wir5_zps12bca5bd.jpg

This confirms our suspicions, if Russia was not preparing to move against us why would the Tsar be on the border! Unfortunately in the confusion he escapes with part of his troops.

July ends with a new border of Ottoman provinces buffering Moldavia. And a fleeing Tsar somewhere out on the Steppe.
wir6_zpsdd3a560a.jpg

We would now be dominant in both land and sea if not for a couple of backwoods provinces no-one has ever heard of and a little thing called France.

Minor Power News - Britain rejects Spanish peace offers again. Britain leaves Piedmont's coalition (this one passed me by)

And so it begins. Russia lack of troops in the theatre will allow you to establish yourself on their territory, but I imagine that even with the war against France this will soon change. You'll need to rack up a very good warscore, and seriously reduce the Russian armies to secure a favourable peace, good luck!

Chapter 35 : No plan survives...

August 1808

World News Round-up

Russia bogged down in western Europe.
1_zps992af3e5.jpg

After their success in the siege of Odessa (and the due to the fact that it will take North Eastern Command 7 years to do anything other than march around in mountains), Russian Command are ferried across the boating lake and lay siege to Maikop.

AoC move to close the gap that has opened in the Ottoman advance and lay siege to Nikolaiev. AoS moves east towards Olviopol.

North Eastern Command (NEC) have finally reached Vladikavkaz, there will be no repeat of earlier mistakes! The command is split in half with a mobile detachment sent to find out where our two missing core provinces might be. A Russian force somehow evades all notice and lays siege to Tiflis. Fortunately there are Persian and Egyptian forces in the area that should be able to deal with them, if they can ever get there.

The Russian bizarrely tell us about Lovers of the Russian Word, the only Russian word I want to hear now is "сдаваться" (surrender).
Out of the Austrian mist a trickle of Russian troops appear.
2_zps2ee694b2.jpg

Outside Olviopol AoS catches and defeats a small Russian army which appeared to be marching to the north west. The survivors bolster the town garrison briefly, as throwing caution to the wind the order is given to storm the place. They then march south to aid the troops at Nikolaiev.
3_zps9d1e9c24.jpg

The Russians retake Dubno with forces that have swelled since they first made an appearance.
4_zpsac330957.jpg

The early plan is discarded, AoS and AoC join and assault the walls of Nikolaiev. Casualties are heavy. AoS are ordered back to Bender to counter the Russian threat in the north of the bridgehead. AoC begin the march round the coast to assault the Crimea.
5_zps23636ad6.jpg

In the east Persian and Egyptian troops are besieging Erevan ignoring the Russians at Tiflis. NEC(a) lift siege of Vladikavkaz and march south to halt a Russian resurgence in the east.

As small groups of Russian troops start to spring up around the theatre of operation a new small army is to be recruited. Balkan cavalry and horse artillery only, hopefully this Cavalry Army can rush around and wipe them out before they can coalesce into a bigger problem.

Speed is now the top priority, peace offers are flying fast between the Austrians, French and Russians. If an accomodation is reached between them, well I don't even want to think about it!

Minor Power News - Austria rejects peace with France, France with Piedmont. France also rejects peace with Russia and Austria.

Chapter 36 : Russia Arrives

September 1808

World News Round-up

Austria and Britain in action
SP1_zpsabe549f1.jpg

No change in northern Europe

Russian Command make and assault a breach in Maikop, then march east towards Pyatigorsk.

NEC(a) relieve Tiflis and march further east to Saqqez. NEC(b) have found our two missing provinces, we are now officially the Dominant Naval Power!

Russian Command reach and storm Pyatigorsk. Once again they swing west and march on Stavropol.

AoC reach Kerch. Preparations begin to assault the city. Supplies and hope for the garrison have run out and they surrender before the inevitable occurs. The survivors are allowed to march from the city, once free of the Ottoman ring of steel the poor Russian conscripts desert en masse.
SP2_zpsfc2bd89f.jpg

Scouts report to AoS, "the Russians are coming!". Bender is abandoned as AoS moves to be nearer friendly forces.
sp3_zps58675af2.jpg

The month draws to a close with NEC(b) at Ustargardoy and Russian Command taking Stavropol.

Minor Power News - Britain adopts Wooden Walls, Egyptian Trained Sharpshooters. France refuses further Piedmontese peace offers. Austria reject another French proposal.

First sign of a sizeable Russian force. What does Russia's overall army and manpower look like? If they are suffering losses against France and you manage to tackle that 50k stack, you may be able to bring them to the negotiating table.

First sign of a sizeable Russian force. What does Russia's overall army and manpower look like? If they are suffering losses against France and you manage to tackle that 50k stack, you may be able to bring them to the negotiating table.

You have a knack of asking questions I've not got an answer to :) I've played on to January 1809 and only got the figures for the annual review then. I've actually never once stopped to check, I've been focusing so much on the immediate theatre of operations and trying to avoid a repeat of when Austria got the drop on me that I didn't think to look until the January :)

Chapter 37 : Russian Dances

October 1808

World News Round-up

Russia takes Bremen
Oct1_zps718ec3be.jpg

Austria push into France
oct2_zpsd9ab857b.jpg

The combined force of Western Command and AoC reach and take Sevastapol by storm. Casualties are comparatively light.
oct3_zpsfeb63e0f.jpg

Western Command absorbs AoC and takes the transports to Hacidere.

The Russians take Bender. Then break their forces into smaller detachments one of which retakes Nemirov.

AoS move east from Odessa to link up with the besiegers of Ochakov where a breach has been made. The combined forces take the city.
oct4_zps3cb67dc6.jpg

Western Command march through Moldavia to Balti province to attack Bender from the north, thus avoiding a dangerous river assault.

The Russians are moving every way at once, Olviopol and Odessa are besieged and another force recrosses into Moldavia.

Nemirov is recaptured.

Minor Power News - France rejects peace with Austria and Russia. Austria rejects peace with France.

Chapter 38 : Chaos

November 1808

World News Round-up

Ottoman gains.
nov1_zpsbfe826bd.jpg

No change elsewhere.

AoS abosorbs OA and swings back west towards Tiraspol.

Western Command catches part of the Russian army south of Nemirov.
Nov2_zps2bd2a604.jpg

Russian Command have moved to the Azov Sea coast and are marching north towards the cluster of towns and cities at the mouth of the Don.

Western Command wins the Battle of Tiraspol
nov3_zpsb5bdd08f.jpg

Scouts report that the Russians have promoted General Winter, they are sent back to the field. I need to know where the Russians are not who is in charge!

The Russian army that was moving to battle in Tiraspol swings north to Bender instead.

The Spanish announce they have Naval Supremacy. Perhaps the words mean something different in Spanish, as having only 3 transport ships as your entire navy can hardly be called supremacy unless the British have burnt all their ships and taken up a life of peaceful tranquility.

Prussia bankrolls Moldavia, I've always liked Prussia.

While Western Command chase after the fleeing remnants of the defeated Russian force AoS attack the Russian army at Bender.

Russia takes Hannover from France.

Russian Command split off a cavalry force to move into the Crimea as yet another small Russian contingent appears.

Further small pockets of Russian troops pop up in the west.
nov5_zps37421a25.jpg

The Russians are trounced at Bender. But keep sallying out for more.
nov7_zps2753e57a.jpg

The Cavalry Army prove themselves in battle wiping out a some enemy artillery at Olviopol.

Western Command split to take more ground and obliterate the small detachments in front of them. AoS retake Bender and march north to Dubno.

Russian Command storms Azov and lays siege to Rostov.

Ustargardoy falls after 41 days of siege.

Half of the Cavalry Army, now split in two, suffers a reverse to an inferior light infantry detachment and then again to a similar force in Olviopol.

Taganrog is besieged. Western Command recombine and storm Kiev.

Saqqez falls after a 71 day siege. The troops march back to lay siege of Vladikavkaz once more.

Dubno falls to AoS once again.

Detachments have been split off from most armies, some then being split again. The campaign in Russia is proving successful but chaotic.

Russia are not yet prepared to discuss peace terms.

Minor Power News - France rejects peace with Austria again. Britain reject peace with Spain.

You have a knack of asking questions I've not got an answer to :) I've played on to January 1809 and only got the figures for the annual review then. I've actually never once stopped to check, I've been focusing so much on the immediate theatre of operations and trying to avoid a repeat of when Austria got the drop on me that I didn't think to look until the January :)

Haha sorry they are not my attempt to put you on the spot. When I get into a game my attention tends to jump back and forth, I often find myself interrupting what I'm doing to dive into the ledger and check something!

That was a great victory at Bender, a good amount of casualties inflicted with comparatively few suffered. When you say Russia takes Hanover from France, do you mean its occupied or have the two states made peace?