• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maximum screenshot limit is 20 per one hour period; you have well exceeded that. In the future, please follow this rule.

Also, if you keep posting so quickly, no one has the time to comment! :)

Just read through - looks a very interesting game and I suspect the Ottomans are probably one of the more fun factions to play - you're always going to be worried about someone.

Liking all the manouvre stuff in the Balkans.

Just read through - looks a very interesting game and I suspect the Ottomans are probably one of the more fun factions to play - you're always going to be worried about someone.

Liking all the manouvre stuff in the Balkans.

Thank you, I was worried it would prove to be very boring game compared to the great AARs I've been reading from everyone else, but the game has been a joy so far to play. I hope it's been fun to read about too.

Chapter 18 : Border Raiding

May 1806

World News Round-up

Sweden eats into Denmark, Denmark eats into Sweden, Prussia has a bite of Sweden, Britain gently nibbles French Germany.
may1_zps89334f1d.jpg

France pushed back in Sicily
may2_zps34001684.jpg

With the Ottoman armies now fully committed to sieges of Austrian cities, the decision is made to split some of the besieging troops off from Esseg to assault Funfkirchen. The victorious armys are nearly back in Esseg when the Austrian army sallies forth against the weakened besiegers. Who needs MttSotG when you have enemies with such bad timing?
may3_zpseb4444d8.jpg

The survivors retreat within the city walls once more. The Balkan Army is ordered back to Belgrad to lay siege to the last Ottoman city still in Austrian hands. On the march home they arrive in Peterwardein province the very day a breach is made in the fortress walls, and being ever helpful send troops into the fray.
May4_zps7106e70f.jpg

While they continue the march to Belgrad, AoS are ordered from Peterwardein to Temeschburg.
With 3,000 Austrian defenders Belgrad proves too tough a nut to crack and ever fearful of Russia turning our way, the Balkan Army are ordered to Temeschburg where they may tip the balance.
Once again hopes of a quick assault are dashed and the Balkan Army takes up the siege while AoS is ordered east to relieve pressure on our satellites of Wallachia and Moldavia.
No sooner have they entered Wallachia than an Austrian relief force appears in Zombar, the Balkan Army lifts it's siege and heads to intercept. Cue a flurry of constantly changing orders as scout reports conflict on where the Austrians really are heading.
May5_zps44289a68.jpg

The month ends with constant fear of sudden Russian intervention unabated but Austria in a further weakened position. If only France would attack them we could perhaps force a favourable peace.

Minor Power News - Britain rejects peace with Tunisia, Denmark and Spain, France sabotages British relations with Bavaria. Baden sends war subisdies to Moldavia. France adopts Pure Elan. France rejects peace with Sicily. Brunswick rejoins Britain's coalition. Spain subsidises Denmark. Sweden takes Kobenhavn. Sicily guarantees Brunswick.

Hoepfully the Russian's find another plaything to keep them busy - although if I was playing as Russia now would be an excellent time to hit Austria, the Ottomans or even both! The tide seems to have firmly turned against Austria in the Balkans though, and provided no one else launches an opportunistic attack you should be able to make some gains here.

Hoepfully the Russian's find another plaything to keep them busy - although if I was playing as Russia now would be an excellent time to hit Austria, the Ottomans or even both! The tide seems to have firmly turned against Austria in the Balkans though, and provided no one else launches an opportunistic attack you should be able to make some gains here.

The army and manpower Russia have available at the moment in the game they could probably cripple, the Ottomans, Austria and still prosecute the war against France too.
Ideally what I need is a new army of experienced troops fresh from successful campaigns elsewhere, please send me -> http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?679271-In-the-Shadow-of-Greatness-Etienne-s-War :)

Chapter 19 : Losing the Manoeuver Battle

June 1806

World News Round-up

France back on top in Sicily
June1_zpsd39536bb.jpg

Sweden takes a step forward, France reclaims its territory.
June1a_zps0ff1687d.jpg

The delicate dance on the Austrian border continues.
AoS is ordered back from Wallachia to Belgrad via Pasarofca. How easily the Austrians have thrown us into panic and disorder with one army!
June2_zpsb5f6c165.jpg

A minor Austrian force arrives in Funfkirchen, desperate not to lose valuable territory for potential peace negotiations and not wishing to offer an easy target for the Austrian relief force, Western Command lifts the siege of Esseg and marches north.
Out manoeuvered! The Austrian relief army swings into Esseg and absorbs the troops there. We are now facing a force that could undo all the good work done in Austria.
June3_zpsb8fd627a.jpg

Before they can move from Esseg, the Balkan Army catches them, and with Western Command rushing to join, engages in battle.

It's a close run affair, but with Ottoman troops moving to link up the Austrians retire once more into Esseg.
June4_zps968bf6fa.jpg

The losses from this battle and the ever present fear of Russia force me to the negotiating table. Our demands shall be the entire Adriatic coastline and Peterwardein. After some discussion we are at peace!
June5_zps0c05f377.jpg

We could have held out for more but the Russia shadow over our shoulder and a few more victories like Esseg would have us undone. However when the war started I assumed that the peace would have been Austrian imposed so grabbing 3 naval and 1 land dominance targets is a major win.

Time to regroup and recuperate. Depot construction begins in Nis, which will be a more forward staging area should the Austrian attempt revenge in a year.

Time also to build up the navy, we need a second fleet! The Russian transport squadron and marches along the Black Sea coast suggest trouble may be brewing.

Minor Power News - France rejects peace with Russia and Piedmont and strengthens relations with Nassau. Prussia rejects peace from Sweden. As usual Britain rejects peace with Tunisia and Spain. Brunswick declares war on France (I'm not going to predict anything this time). Hessen, Prussia, Russia and Bavaria subsidise Brunswick. Britain guarantees Brunswick. France rejects peace with Sicily. Austria guarantees Mecklenburg.

Well done getting a very favourable peace. I did not realise so many of the Ottoman dominance objectives lay so close to the Austrian border, no wonder Austria and the Ottomans seem to almost constantly be at war in my games! What are your current dominance scores? If you face the Austrian's again, those three border forts of theirs should be your primary targets. This would give you a very defensible frontier, whereas Austria would be reduced to only towns. How is manpower looking following the war?

Well done getting a very favourable peace. I did not realise so many of the Ottoman dominance objectives lay so close to the Austrian border, no wonder Austria and the Ottomans seem to almost constantly be at war in my games! What are your current dominance scores? If you face the Austrian's again, those three border forts of theirs should be your primary targets. This would give you a very defensible frontier, whereas Austria would be reduced to only towns. How is manpower looking following the war?

Thank you. I'm pretty crippled as far as manpower is concerned
2013-04-03_00002_zpsd2f59e3e.jpg

But Dominance Score is looking good
2013-04-03_00001_zps2cb3d9fa.jpg

Chapter 20 : The Lazy Days of Summer

July to December 1806

As you can tell by the dates, Russia has yet to strike.

Priorities in the past months have been reinforcing the armies. It will still take another 4 months of replacements to bring them up to pre-war levels
The building up the Ottoman navy continues with a slow but steady production of new First Raters.

The troops taken from North Eastern Command have been detached and transported back to Adana on the coast of Syria.

Overall the 6 months pass fairly quietly.

The Wallachians had to ask us to take a stand against Osman Pazvantoglu the self styled "Enemy of Wallachia". We judged our satellite more worthy than one province and ordered the raids to cease.

At the end of December Austria re-grants Russia military access!

France finally makes progress -Brunswick is satellited and forced to release Hannover who immediately declare war on the enemy coalition. Brunswick declares war on them too. France gains territory in both Portugal and Sicily forcing two more members out of the Anglo-Russian coalition.
Britain rejects 8 seperate peace offers from Spain, Denmark and Tunisia but creates the Bank of England.
Austria adopts a Military Frontier.
Russia adopts Dual Capitals.

We have 6 more months before the nightmare of an Austro-Russia pact against us can be realised. The possibility of Russian action against us is a constant headache.

Chapter 21 : Winter Break

January to March 1807

Annual Review - The treasury holds a healthy 346 ducats, this depsite an energetic campaign to increase the size of the navy. Our monthly manpower totals are still re-inforcing the recovering armies who are stationed in Nis, Silestre, our new port of Ragusa and marching back to station in the North Eastern Command zone.
Army quality has jumped to a healthy 127% well ahead of the crushed Austrians and closer to the looming Russians. We are trying to avoid looking at relative standing armies as those Russian figures are nightmarish!
A look at the figures suggests that neither Russia nor France have really thrown themselves into their war. France's dip in naval power suggests some failed attempts to wrest control of the seas from Britain.
January1807_zps2ba8baee.jpg

The Balkan Army is renamed Persian Command and takes transport to Trablussam with orders to move to Al Kut. North Eastern Command gathers in Erbil.

Minor Power News - France and Spain both guarantee Portugal. France rejects peace from Piedmont. Spain guarantees Morocco. Sweden guarantees Mecklenburg. Austria guarantees Bavaria, Hessen, Wurtemburg and Baden. Spain re-guarantees Denmark. France adopts Sturdy Seamen and guarantees Bavaria. Russia again guarantees Britain.
Prussia grants Russia Military Access (interesting).
Britain rejects yet more peace offers from Tunisia and Denmark. Britain adopts the Brown Bess Musket.

The manpower situation isn't great, but it also isn't the worst I've seen, you should be at full strength in under a year. Russian manpower and standing armies are indeed terrifying.I can understand your caution when faced with them. Is there any scope for a smaller conflict, say in North Africa?

Hopefully either Prussia or Austria will prove a more tempting target for the Russians - were they to become embroiled in an active war that would offer you some breathing space. France look like they have lost a decent number of men, they start with over 400,000 in uniform, so someone has been sapping their stregth.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how you progress from here!

France look like they have lost a decent number of men, they start with over 400,000 in uniform, so someone has been sapping their stregth.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how you progress from here!

I'm confused about this, I would have thought that if they were knee deep in bodies from vicious campaigning that their reserve manpower would have taken a drop and be virtually nil by now. Yet both Russian and French reserves are disappointingly healthy. I want more non-Ottoman death! :)

I have been playing an ultra cautious game up to now, maybe it's time to get a wee bit gallus :laugh:

I like the caution tbh, it feels realistic and sensible. The Russians cast a long shadow.

Chapter 22 : Go East Young Man

April 1807

World News Round-up

Russia in Italy, France in Piedmont!
April1_zpsedcea364.jpg

Denmark in trouble!
April2_zps8f134259.jpg

On the eve of war with Persia Ottoman armies are instructed in the use of Platoon Fire.

We declare war on Persia (did you see that coming?)

Worryingly France gets friendlier with Austria!

By the end of the month the Persian capital Bokan is under siege and Al Basra has been stormed. Their job complete Persian Command are ordered back to Al Kut. They will stay in the area until the war is over.

Minor Power News - Britain gets friendlier with Hessen and Bavaria, Austria subsidises Persia. Prussia guarantees Hessen. France again rejects Piedmont's peace overtures as Britain does with Spain's.

Chapter 23 : All Quiet on the Eastern Front

May 1807

World News Round-up
Russia no longer in Italy. France still on Piedmont.
May18071_zps0f15d561.jpg

No change in the north.

The siege of Bokan continues, with 18,600 besieging and over 10,000 in the city there can be no assault, however the supply problem will be massive and there is hope for an early fall.

Other than seeing occasional changes in province control in Italy, it's still all quiet from the Russians. I'm assuming that they are reasonably focused on the war with France at the moment. I launched the Persian invasion feeling fairly comfortable that the Russians won't consider this an area worth having much of a garrison in.
Out of approximately 190,000 total force under arms we have about 60,000 in the war zone and currently only 18,600 committed to actual combat duties.
may18072_zpsfc4972f9.jpg

Minor Power News - Russia rejects peace with France who later in the month rejects Russian overtures. Britain rejects peace with Tunisia yet again. Russia guarantees Piedmont. Prussia guarantees Bavaria. In France Tallyrand resigns. Britain sabotages French relations with Austria (go Britain). Persia adopts Fast Move. Prussia guarantees Mecklenburg.

Chapter 24 : A Light in the Darkness

June 1807

World News Round-up

No changes from May

The results of the naval build up starts to bear fruit as 3 new first raters take to the seas.

In Persia Bokan falls after 49 days and Persia becomes the latest satellite state in our empire, as a bonus 125 ducats of donated Austrian money finds it's way to our treasury. I shall name the ship that it helps build "Wien" in their honour.

It is now a year since peace was declared between ourselves and the Austrians, tension mounts again in the Topkapi. I expect the Austrians will soon declare a war of revenge and may have the Russians join them.
Persian Command takes it's old name of the Balkan Army and marches to the nearest port. North Eastern Command in ordered to Batum.

June 30th, Austrian heralds arrive at the Sublime Porte. They have important announcements that we must hear, the Grand Vizier is hurried off to send the alert to all troops.
Ushered into the palace, the herald announces that Austria has joined the Anglo-Russian coalition! Through tears of laughter and relief, we wish them well and hurry them on their way.
Austria_zps47e07797.jpg

There is partying on the streets of Kostantiniyye.

Minor Power News - Piedmont adopts fast move. Spain subsidises Denmark. Britain rejects Tunisia again. Algeria guarantees Sicily, France guarantees Spain. Prussia guarantees Oldenburg. Denmark is forced to cede Kiel and Schleswig to Sweden and annul all treaties with France and Spain.

Chapter 25 : A Vulture Swoops

July 1807

World News Round-up

The current state of the Ottoman Empire.
green1_zps8f34e2b6.jpg

Demark stage mini recovery.
green2_zps558c2b4c.jpg

No change in the Italian theatre.

I'm going out on a limb here and thinking that any day now Austria will declare war on France. Austria couldn't possibly fight a war on two fronts, so I'm assuming that means we are safe from Austria for the time being. I'm also going to take a risk and assume Russia is too occupied with France to turn our way quite yet.

However Austria have not yet declared war on France.

Since earlier diplomatic blunders there has been a constant watch on areas of importance to Ottoman expansion. Now opportunity has fallen into our lap. Britain has refused to continue guaranteeing the independence of Sicily and only Algeria now does so. War is declared against Sicily. (There appears to be a slight bug in that the country description box shows no GB guarantee but declare war still does)
green4_zps88c70b4d.jpg

Austria has yet to declare war on France.

The newly named Sicilian Command (although I actually forgot to physically rename them) is ordered to divert course away from the Balkans to it's new base of operations.

The horror! Algerian has declared war on us. This couldn't have gone any better.
green4b_zps942683da.jpg

Austria has still not declared war on France!

Sicilian Command storms ashore in Messina and captures the town. Splitting the command in half, Palermo is besieged and the advance begins on Napoli.
green5_zpsa83b3d83.jpg

Something escapes my notice.

Finally on the 27th Austria does what we have been hoping for and declares war on France and it's allies. I was starting to get concerned.

Minor Power News - Russia guarantees Austria and rejects French peace offers. Prussia Abolishes Serfdom and guarantees Wurtemburg. Britain refuses Danish and Spanish offers of peace once again. Britain guarantees Austria. France rejects Piedmont's offer of peace.

Chapter 26 : Another Satellite

August 1807

World News Round-up

Italy in Austria
chap261_zps86738f7a.jpg

No other changes since last month.

With Palermo under siege the Sicilians send a small corps of 1800 men to slow the advance on Napoli. There is no slowing of the advance on Napoli. Egypt lands troops in Messina to aid the invasion.
With the Ottoman navy covering the invasion and transports in Sicilian waters an Algerian vessel managed to sneak in and land an invasion force on Zante. Admiral Bekir swiftly makes amends sinking the transport shortly after the troops re-embark to move elsewhere.
chap262_zps2149d607.jpg

After 18 days of seige a breach in Palermo leads to the storming of the city. Egyptian troops join the assault and sustain all the casualties inflicted in the battle.
chap263_zps4403022d.jpg

The transports are ordered to the city and move the troops to rejoin the other half of Sicilian Command who have now invested Napoli. The extra guns tip the balance and a breach is blown in the walls. The defenders fight desperately to the last man.
chap264_zpsd9859b33.jpg

Sicily joins the ever swelling ranks of Ottoman satellites.

Sicilian morphs into Algerian Command and moves to it's 7th campaign theatre.

Minor Power News - Piedmont is guaranteed by Britain and Austria (I can feel a whole lot more coming). Britain gives it's monthly refusal to Tunisian appeals for peace. Russia adopts Serfdom and Spain Overseas Bases. France subsidises Italy. Portugal adopts Copper Bottoms. Russia subsidises the Holy Roman Empire. France rejects peace with Piedmont. France rejects peace with Austria.

Good stuf but feels fairly minor...

Are you building up for another round with Austria?

Gutsy move against Sicily, another good satellite to have and source of another army should you need it. Are there any North African states who aren't allied or guaranteed by stronger powers?

Good stuf but feels fairly minor...

Are you building up for another round with Austria?

Sicily holds a Land Domination Point for the Ottomans, it was in the British co-alition but then France knocked it out of the war in December 1806. It's got a while to go before it can be useful to the Brits again so the guarantee of protection expired and wasn't renewed. It should be an easy but cynical grab :)
When Austria joined the Anglo-Russian Coalition both the major powers did the guarantee their independence routine. For the time being Austria is in too strong a position for me to attack. France would need to knock them out of the war and about another year would need to pass for the guarantees to expire.

Gutsy move against Sicily, another good satellite to have and source of another army should you need it. Are there any North African states who aren't allied or guaranteed by stronger powers?

Thanks :) Sicily had to join us really, with Britain and Spain needing it for land dominance it would have been foolish to let the opportunity slip away.
Tunisia is in the French Coalition and currently being guaranteed and Morocco is being guaranteed by the Spanish. It's safer just to leave them alone at the moment.