• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pigzhu275

Sergeant
13 Badges
Apr 17, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome
Hello all and welcome to my first AAR attempt. I will be taking us deep into the dark continent of Africa to follow the rise of the tribal kingdom of Timbuka. Much of the story will be character driven, and many of my decisions will be based on how I think an actual ruler would have acted given their circumstances. This means I won't rush colonize to westernization, min max or follow other ideal play strategies which would not have been how real rulers would have acted. Please take the time to comment and share your thoughts on the story; I will take the time to read any comments and try to improve the read as we go along together on this adventure.

For anyone returning, I have put up chapter links! For newcomers, just keep reading the introduction which follows the links... don't skip to Chapter 1!!

Table of Contents
Introduction
Chapter 1: One Man's Greed, 1444-1459
Chapter 2: The Council, 1460-1469
Chapter 3: The Impious Muslim King, 1469-1480
Chapter 4: The Birth of a Nation, 1481-1488
Chapter 5: The Prince, 1488-1500
Chapter 6: Decline of the Mwenemutapa, 1500-1508
Chapter 7: In the Shadow of Giants, 1508-1519
Chapter 8: An East African Expedition, 1520-1544
Chapter 9: The Somali Wars, 1544-1562
Chapter 10: The Tale of Two Siblings, 1563-1605
Chapter 11: A Leopard Reborn, 1605-1632
Chapter 12: Westernization, 1632-1651
Chapter 13: The French Invasion, 1651-1657
Chapter 14: Pawns and Players, 1662-1669

Introduction
Mare Nostrum added in tons of new nations and regions in south and central Africa and the new corruption and sailor mechanics should be interesting to explore as well. As for my goals this AAR, they will evolve if I last long enough. Early on I will be aiming to triumph over my local rivals so I won't be gobbled up. If all goes well I will aim to unite all of Africa; going for African Power would be fun now with a new fleshed out Africa. This will require pushing out some Europeans and Ottomans most likely, so we will have to see how things go. Before we get started, we should take a look at what we have to start with.

eMjSd6l.jpg

Tumbuka is the two province whitish-blue colored kingdom to the north of Mutapa.

Regional Situation:

Tumbuka starts in a position with limited opportunities to expand: to the south, the Maravi and their vassal of Lunda together can field twice our nation's force limits, and beyond them lie Mutapa and their subject of Butua with gold mines. The Kilwa Sultanate, to the east, is even stronger than both these threats and has a significant technological edge over us since we start at only tech level 2. Kilwa and the Muslim nations along the East African Coast start at tech level 3 and have 25% cheaper technology compared with us. Hostile tribes limit our ability to expand north or north westwards until we gain colonists.

More about Timbuka:

Tumbuka lies deep in the African interior, so we have a 65% tech cost malus as part of the new central african tech group. We are also part of the new Fetishist religion, which gives us +1 diplomatic reputation and a +2 tolerance of heathens. Timbuka has really neat set of national ideas: cheaper stability, easier culture acceptance, more manpower, reduced revolt risk, +2 tolerance of the true faith, increased legitimacy and several ideas oriented towards trade. Ivory and gold are by far the predominant regional trade goods. Our starting development is 11.

tHqQnW7.jpg

Capital City of Tumbuka, African Interior, 1444:

"Our nation has waned in power as our rivals, the Maravi, have grown. I realize that our position will likely grow dire as time goes on; the Maravi will likely only grow stronger and we will stagnate if we do not strike now. I take inspiration from our sigal: the mighty leopard beneath the sun. We must strike to secure a better tomorrow. We are weaker than those around us, but we have the opportunity to turn the tide and crush our rivals. Both Mutapa and the Kilwa Sultanate seek the downfall of Maravi. And so, I send riders as the sun begins to rise over the hills to see what our future brings."

- King Gonapamuhanya Kisindile (2/3/3)
(Ambitious, Impetuous, Greedy)

Last edited:
Chapter 1: One Man's Greed
1444 - 1459

Within a few days, we receive word that the Mutapan King had accepted our proposal for an alliance. King Gonapamuhanya wished to strike the Maravi immediately, but bides his time. Claims are fabricated, sell swords are hired and promises of land and loot to the Mutapan King are made. In 1445, we declare war on the Maravi and Lunda. In this war the biggest danger was that, being separated from our Mutapan allies and in indefensible terrain, we might be crushed before we were able to group up with our allies. King Gonapamunya took command of his forces and pushed them through the western wildlands; luckily no tribes attack, and we are able to reinforce our allies as they attack the Maravi at the city of Tete. After a crushing victory, its a matter of running down what remains of the enemy and sieging their towns. Within the year the kings settle down for peace talks.

tuRAKKK.jpg

King Gonapamunya invites High Chief Muzura I Mwale of the Maravi (3/3/4) and Chief Mcepera I Mwale of Lunda (0/5/2) to talk terms in secret, without the knowledge of the Mutapa. The Mutapan king is leading the seige of Lunda with his army, unaware of the following conversation:

The three leaders seat themselves around a round table. Formalities are exchanged, regrets expressed that the Mutapan king could not attend, and then the two chiefs fall silent, unsure how King Gonapamunya would proceed.

King Gonapamunya offers that, if the two chiefs accepted complete surrender of all Maravi-Lunda terrirory, he would allow Chief Mcepera to retain his control over the city of Lunda and they would be granted a significant degree of freedom in their rule while enjoying Timbuka protection. The two chiefs protest, but the king makes it clear that the chiefs can either accept this alternative, or have all lands split between the Tumbuka and the Mutapa, with no land at all for the two chiefs at all. The two men resentfully accept the first alternative and Chief Mcepera was integrated into the Timbuka court.

King Gonapamunya had dishonored his promise to cede land to the Mutapa, and instead demanded it all for himself. Some within the tribal court supported the decision, being granted new titles, land and a considerable degree of autonomy as a result of the conquests, but others wondered were wondering if the young Tumbakan king was perhaps biting off more than he could chew...

xD7DM2k.jpg

After the war, wartime loans and rising corruption had to be addressed. The Lunda refuse to support King Gonapamunya and could become a threat if left untended. It was clear that the country had lost as much as they had gained and needed some time to rebuild.

In late October, a rider came over rode into the capital, without a head. King Gonapamunya publicly lamented the man`s loss; he was of noble birth he would be missed. It seemed that the Mutapa had sent a message by tracking down and killing the man. Attached to the corpse was a letter, stating in no kind words, that the Mutapa-Timbuka alliance was at an end.

King Gonapamunya sent an envoy to the Kilwa Sultanate to arrange for an alliance. Sultan Ismà'il al-Mawahib (3/1/4), the ruler of the Kilwa, had heard of Tumbukta's victory, and reluctantly agreed to sign a defensive alliance against Mutapa. He made it quite clear that he had heard of King Gonampmunya's failure to meet past obligations with the Mutapa, and would not heed any aggressive call to arms for the time being.

By the summer of 1448, King Gonapamunya desired further expansion. The borders of Tumbukta had grown to come into contact with the kingdom of Makua, a small nation known for neutrality and isolating themselves from the regional power politics that gripped the region. This made them an easy target; Tumbukta declared her intent to conquer the province of Lolo that same year. Kilwa and Mutapa watched intently but did not intervene.

ULw9hOu.jpg

During the war we receive a notification stating that our people's merchants have become known for their honesty. Even the king is unable to hide his surprise at this announcement.

Since the Kilwa Sultanate is unwilling to join an offensive war, we are forced to take some time at peace. We decide to invest diplo points into regional development to strengthen the economy; we boost development by 5 in the important trade city of Kalonga, and by 2 in our two starter provinces to increase ivory and iron production. This will slow my tech rate a bit, but iron and ivory are really valuable trade goods and since these will be my home regions i figure the long term investment is worth it.

gEFK53D.jpg

Remember to develop your provinces and awe your rivals as they visit

(Next time in Chapter 2, the three regional powers of Tumbukta, Kilwa and Mutapa can no longer remain at peace, visit again to learn what happens!)

Last edited:
FYI, monitoring.
I had the same idea as you to test out the new African regions, but I started as Betsimisaraka (on Madagascar).
As it's going, AI Tumbutka is my greatest ally in checking the ambitions of regional superpower Kilwa.
(Also I love how the ruler of Butua is titled the "Grand Mumbo". He deserves your friendship for that alone.)

Looking forward to further episodes, great King Gonapamunya!

Reply, Oscot: Great to hear some feedback at last! Makes me glad that Tumbuka is doing well in your game; let me know how it goes between you guys ;).
I really wish I could see how Madagascar is developing in my game, and I'll post screenshots once I actually discover them once I get a coastal province :).

Keep following and we'll see how far I can bring King Gonamamunya!

Chapter 2: The Council
1460 - 1469

The councilmen spoke in hushed whispers. A feeling of anticipation was palpable in the air as everyone waited for King Gonapamunya to arrive. Some of the men were exchanging hearsay, while others took the time to curry favor or plot with their fellow council members. Among the group was Chunzo Chiluba al-Mawahib, a Kilwa man of royal standing who had been part of the Tumbuka council for many years. He was the man who had first proposed that King Gonapamunya should seek an alliance with the Sultan of Kilwa. In the following years, Chunzo had been steadily gaining in influence behind the scenes. Chunzo recognized that King Gonapamunya had no designated heir, and that there would be a free for all upon the throne in the coming days. It was vital to ensure someone trustworthy and capable took the throne, and Chunzo had convinced a not insignificant number of people that this meant him. The tent flap swung open and the King stepped into view. All conversation ended, the king stabbed a dagger into the thick oak table and, with a gleam in his eyes, stated, " we are at war".

-Excerpt from the council meeting at Kalonga, 1460

King Gonapamunya had long petitioned the Sultan of Kilwa to launch an offensive campaign against the Mutapa, and at last in 1460 he agreed. Sultan Mawahib promised modest land compensation for Tumbuka's aid, and declared war on Mutapa. The campaign is short, as there aren't any forts in the South Afrian region to stop invading armies once the first major battle is won. Sultan Ismà'il al-Mawahib demands the province of Manikya, gives King Gonapamunya the region of Zumbo, and also demands that the Mutapa end their vassalage of Butua.

AmmCM1D.jpg

Post-war, 1461: King Gonapamunya's investments into iron mining industry around Kalonga have led to squalor as more and more peasants move in from the countryside, until the King is forced to take action. Also note that the region of Lundu has been integrated.

Tumbuka looks like it is powerful if you consider how much it has grown, but since all of its regions are still very high in autonomy and we lack the gold that Kilwa, Butua and especially Mutapa own, we don't have enough strength to make a move without an ally. Over the next six years King Gonapamunya cuts military expenditures and the army shrinks to a force of 7,000. Across the border, Kilwa holds a standing army of 13,000 and Mutapa retrains a force of 10,000. In 1467, King Gonapamunya once again advocates for war, wishing to strike against the diplomatically isolated Butua. Butua is weak and alone, and so they fall without much trouble.

JsrLdyh.jpg

King Gonapamunya decides to humiliate and demand land from Butua in the peace agreement. The King announces his news to the council, with a smile on his face. Upon hearing the news, one of the newest council members, a Madagascan from Betsimisaraka, asked why the King did not instead subjugate the Butuan ruler, Mambo Chirisamhuru Chrima Mwenemutapa (3/1/3), and possibly gaining a valuable ally. Whispers began to grow, and council member Chunzo Chiluba al-Mawahib voiced agreement that the King had been imprudent and should have perhaps sought advice from the council earlier to have avoided this mistake. The King just about opened his mouth to speak, when a messanger burst into the tent, declaring that the Butua had signed an alliance with the Kilwa Sultanate! Everyone stared at the King and dared not speak aloud their thoughts, as the King's face twisted in anger for one second, and then he abruptly turned and walked out. The council exploded into discussion. Chunzo gestured to four of the other councilmen and they stood to take their leave. It was time to make their move.

-Excerpt from the council meeting at Kalonga, 1467

A year and a half later, the people of Tumbuka are shocked to learn that the King is dead. The official announcment is that he died on a hunting expedition, when he fell off his horse and broke his neck in the fall. There is some uncertainty following the King's demise, as he left no designated heir. The council announce that they will elect amongst themselves to determine a new ruler.

ZCrro3s.jpg

Chunzo Chiluba al-Mawahib (5/5/2) is named the new king.
The King is dead, long live the King!

Last edited:
Nice mix of gameplay and roleplaying, and it's nice to see an AAR of this region. Will be interesting to see how you can go with this.

I definitely agree with @Kagemin : with patch 1.16 Africa has become way more interesting than it was before. I also like the roleplay part of the Kilwa aristocrat who takes the opportunity to become King when the old one dies. Also not too many images and text. Overall, this seems very interesting and I'll follow this AAR.

Nice mix of gameplay and roleplaying, and it's nice to see an AAR of this region. Will be interesting to see how you can go with this.

Thanks for the feedback Kagemin, I am a little unsure how things will go because I still don't have a strong grasp of the new patch mechanics, but hopefully things turn out alright :D

I definitely agree with @Kagemin : with patch 1.16 Africa has become way more interesting than it was before. I also like the roleplay part of the Kilwa aristocrat who takes the opportunity to become King when the old one dies. Also not too many images and text. Overall, this seems very interesting and I'll follow this AAR.

The Kilwa Aristocrat is definitely a fun character; I really enjoyed writing his backstory and sort of want to do it with other characters but also don't want to overdo it on non gameplay content. Decisions, decisions...

Chapter 3: The Impious Muslim King
1469 – 1480

“When I was named King, rumours could be heard here and there, among influencial priests and nobles, that I was only able to take power because of my kinship ties to the Sultan of Kilwa. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nonetheless, I did nothing to squash the rumours, and may have started a few of my own. I often ruled as if I was two people, pretending to be amicable to the Sultan because I needed his nation`s aid, but those close to me knew that I relished the thought of when I would finally make our nation strong enough that such pretences would no longer be needed.”

King Chunzo Chiluba al-Mawahib (5/5/2)
(Deceitful, Ambitious, Pragmatic)

King Chunzo begins his rule with many doubts cast on his legitimacy. The new king recognized that he should take immediate steps to consolidate his rule. He appoints a spymaster and begins searching for dissidents among the upper classes and the council. A new general was appointed from among the nobility to lead the Tumbuka forces in case of a rebellion. In 1471, King Chunzo invites Sultan Ismà'il al-Mawahib of Kilwa (3/1/4) and some members of the Kilwa court to visit the palace at Kalonga to assure the Sultan that he will continue the alliance King Gonapamunya had established.

The meeting with the Sultan goes well at first; the Sultan does not seem particularily diplomatically adept, and openly admits that he has little interest expanding south since his northern ally, Malindi, has been fighting on and off with Ajuuran, to the dismay of the Sultan. The Sultan is old, at 50 years of age he seems to creak with every step. He seems glad to see a kinsman on the throne of Tumbuka, and a few gifts are exchanged: statues of ivory and fine fabrics. A large feast commences. At last, long after the alcohol had begun flowing, Chunzo gets the promise he needs: the Sultan of Kilwa promises to assist the Tumbuka in any offensive act against the Mutapa without any expectation of land or loot.

yXZFiQr.jpg

1473: King Chunzo puts the promise made by Sultan Ismà'il to good use. We grab the region of Tete since it is an important centre of trade and will allow us to dominate the Zambezi trade node. We also subjugate both the Mutapa and Makua kingdoms.

The next few years King Chunzo does what he can to begin integrating the Mutapan ruler, Prince Matope Mwenemutapa (1/2/3), and Mukuan Chief Gallo Makua (2/2/1). The two men are extremely resistant to King Chunzo`s efforts to appease them, and it is a continuous worry that they will attempt to rise up and secure independence. In 1475, the realm is overjoyed to learn that the King has had a son, who is named Bwati al-Mawahib (3/4/4). The King, while Muslim, decides to raise the son through traditional Tumbuka religious rites. A practical decision to ensure his son's future rule is seen as being more legitimate. Near the end of 1476, an emissary arrives from the Kilwa Sultanate arrives bearing terrible news. The man regretfully informs King Chunzo that Sultan Ismà'il al-Mawahib of Kilwa had passed away. Worse still, according to the messenger the new ruler, Sultan Suleiman al-Mawahib (3/4/6) was a young, hot blooded militarist who desired Tumbuka land.

R27jFrs.jpg

1477: The Tumbuka-Kilwa alliance was annulled and King Chunzo began seeking alliances elsewhere. He could not rely fully on the defensive aid of his less than cooperative vassals. Shared religion, increased diplo reputation from Fetishist faith, and other factors all together means that it is easy to create an alliance with most nearby nations even if we don’t share a border. King Chunzo decided to ally with the Kingdom of Kazembe for mutual defense of the two nations; even if there is some hilly hostile land between us they might still be useful in deterring the Kilwa, and we might dissuade stronger Congo nations from uniting the region and gobbling up Kazembe as well as an added bonus.

Tumbuka is a fairly stable nation at this point, with all provinces being Fetishist and being part of the main culture or same culture group. Makua`s only province is Sunni, so we are informed on two separate occasions that enough people are interested in converting that we are forced to consider whether to promote or reject this new faith. This is a was not a difficult one for King Chunzo: he had already decided that holding Tumbuka together meant his own son should forgo a muslim religious education. There were other reasons as well for this choice: the peoples of his land were almost unanimously followers of traditional faiths, and Chunzo's legitimacy was still in question as a Muslim ruler related to a national foe; things could only become worse if he attempted to openly proselytize his people.

Time passed and the King waited to see whether it would be him or the militaristic Sultan who would first see weakness and strike.

Last edited:
Chapter 4: The Birth of a Nation

1481-1488

The room was abuzz with discussion; debate over policy and personal opinion echoed throughout the halls. The King had built up an elaborate court life which garnered support from the upper classes and allowed him to easily draw additional favours from the elite, but at considerable expense. This was not how some kings would rule, constantly seeking advice and support of an extensive council, but for King Chunzo it had become a very necessary and useful tool in maintaining his legitimacy. The King, with his strong diplomatic skill, found it easy enough to convince the court that what he wished was the best course of action in most cases. However, court maneuvoring and a silver tongue was not enough to make the Makua and Mutapan rulers, Prince Matope Mwenemutapa and Chief Gallo Makua, happy and their the two designated seats in the council remained empty year round.

z9QpXzX.jpg

Unfortunate that there isn’t a way to earn favors with vassels or improve their trust; Mutapa will hate Tumbuka for years to come.

In 1484, there came a debate not so easily solved; the council were debating whether or not the country should invade Kilwa. The decision to invade Kilwa was complicated. For one, a militarist faction had emerged within the council which believed that Tumbuka should strike to secure land and spoils of war now that the Kilwa Sultanate was in a period of decline. The King was inclined to agree but wanted to consider the full situation.

For over a year, the Kilwa Sultanate had been at war with Ajuuran and a number of other small Somali states over some sort of border dispute that Kilwa’s ally had pressed. Ajuuran had so far managed to gain an edge and was seiging the Kilwa capital with 12,000 men, but one of the councillors pointed out that Kilwa would likely win out because their greater wealth would allow them to win a war of attrition if they resorted to hiring a large number of mercenaries.

Another consideration was that a pretender to the Kilwa throne had emerged; Hasan al-Wakil (0/0/2/1) and 6,000 men had occupied some coastal regions. One of the councilmen, a swarthy Madagascan fellow, stated that these rebels realistically had no change of overcoming the Kilwa main army and noted that al-Wakil’s aptitude for command was, “quite horrible”. Somber nods were shared. Tumbuka was fairly strong at this time, and Kilwa had more than a few problems at the moment weakenening it, but Tumbuka could not count on aid from its vassels and there was a fear Tumbuka would not be able to triumph over even a weakened Kilwa.

QNUXca2.jpg

Surely this will be the man which brings down the Sultanate

The court is divided in their stance, but one day the Chief of Matua and the Mutapan Prince come to court and pay tribute to King Chunzo and express their loyalty. This is the moment that King Chunzo at last comes to a decision. He agrees with the militarist faction that now is as ideal a chance to strike as will likely come, and that the benefits from crippling Tumbuka’s strongest rival would be worth the risk. Some within the court object, but the King could not be swayed. In the November of 1484,Tumbuka declares war on the small nation of Butua and their ally of Kilwa.

At the onset our forces quickly overrun the meagre army that Butuan has and we seige them down. We begin occupying foreign provinces, but suddenly a messanger arrives to the front lines informing us that Mutapa refuses to continue advancing unless they receive the province of Tete. King Chunzo of course refuses, and to the horror of all those gathered, the Mutapan forces leave. It is not many days later that the Chief of the Makua likewise pulls his men back, leaving the Tumbuka army alone to face Kilwa.

SCRFtyO.jpg

The war drags on, and we are forced to pull back to defensible terrain near Tete. To our surprise, the Kilwan forces go after the Mutapan force which has done nothing but sit in Zimbabwe for over a year. After the battle we are able to hit Kilwa`s remaining force and push them back with superior numbers.

UwpUp4b.jpg

We slowly advance up the coastline and seige down the forts at Mozambique and the capital. Kilwa has more than enough money to hiring wave upon wave of mercenaries on the island of zanzibar, which we can`t reach without a navy, and hit us again and again. Our vassels, seen in blue, want no part of this war of attrition. The council urges King Chunzo to seek favourable peace terms in mid 1487. The Kilwa Sultanate is forced to cede the regions of Manikya, Quelimane and Sofala to Tumbuka.

King Chunzo and his council meet once more. It has been a few weeks since the victory speech and most celebrations have died down. The King announces Tumbuka has surpassed all her regional rivals and that the Kingdom was entering a new era of peace and prosperity. Cheers erupt around the table. After a few moments, the king raises his hand and all sound dies down. The King asked a simple question to the court: how would Tumbuka be different in twenty years? One councillor replied: more powerful! Another replied: we will have conquered Kilwa entirely! The King nodded slowly, anticipating more answers. None came. The King explained that Tumbuka’s entire history and identity for the last few decades had been defined by their mission to surpass other stronger powers in the area; now that Tumbuka was at the top, where should they go next? King Chunzo dismissed the councillors with instructions to return next week with suggestions on how to govern the new Tumbuka.

At the next meeting, the councillors wrote their individual concerns or suggestions anonymously and submitted them to be read aloud for consideration. Here are the main ideas that were discussed:

Point 1: Integration of the realms of Mutapa and Makua are underway. These lands are rich in gold and will be a welcome boon to government revenues, but could cause inflation. We should use the next few years to establish a strong economic system which can handle large gold flows.

Point 2: We have gained a number of Sunni provinces through our victory over the Kilwa Sutanate. These regions are rebellious and we should consider strengthening the power and privelges of the clergy as well as developing religious institutions to homogenize and stabilize the nation.

Point 3: We have substansial control over the trade which flows through our region. With the conquest of Quelimane, we can consider expanding the merchant classes and promoting trade beyond our borders to increase national revenues.

Point 4: There are many small, autonomous tribes beyond our north and north-western borders which would be easy to subdue. While expensive in the long run, exploration and expansion would greatly increase the size of the realm.

The King finished reading aloud the best of the ideas that would shape Tumbuka forever into a true nation, and asked those gathered to think on the matter before making a final decision.

Oh god, a Muslim ruler who drinks alcohol. I'm not surprised his legitimacy is very low ;). Great chapter and progress.

Thanks again for the feedback Tom. Actually, both of the rulers are Muslim. Pretty sure King Chunzo is fine since the Tumbukan people wouldn't mind (being Fetishist and all), but I wouldn't want to be the Sultan after that evening.
I suppose 5 Diplo skill makes King Chunzo VERY convincing.:D

Thanks again for the feedback Tom. Actually, both of the rulers are Muslim. Pretty sure King Chunzo is fine since the Tumbukan people wouldn't mind (being Fetishist and all), but I wouldn't want to be the Sultan after that evening.
I suppose 5 Diplo skill makes King Chunzo VERY convincing.:D
That 5 DIP skill will indeed rescue him ;). I can only say, keep it going. Some roleplaying and a story to tell is very enjoying to read.

It's always a nice change of pace to see an AAR based in Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East as is all too common. Good luck, will be watching.

Cheers!

Good AAR. In my attempts, Mutapa was strong and kick all around.
Well Mutapa has so many gold provinces that they can field huge armies. Doesn't surprise me they are doing well in your games.

It's always a nice change of pace to see an AAR based in Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East as is all too common. Good luck, will be watching.

Cheers!
Thanks for the support volksmarschall :)

Chapter 5: The Prince

1488-1500

The room’s air was thick and sweet; priests swung candles of incense as the King slowly entered the room. Cloaked in a magnificant leopard’s pelt, King Chunzo immediately grabbed the attention of every nobleman, councilmember and other notable person the room. Among the crowd was the young Prince Bwati al-Mawahib (3/4/4), next in line to the throne. The prince looked not at his father, who was by now at the front and beginning to give an inspiring speech, but at those present in the crowd. He saw the priests, who were increasingly granted authorities and admistrative positions and avid supporters of the King. He saw the councilman pass a small slip of paper to a noble discretly. He saw the nearly senile old ruler of the Mutapa, Prince Matope Mwenemutapa, who still cursed every time a toast to the King was called. All this and more the Prince saw, and yet he knew that his father, preoccupied as he was, undoubtedly saw more.

-The Speech at Quelimane, 1491

After the war with the Kilwa Sultanate had come to a close, the King began a lengthy national campaign of unifying the Tumbuka nation. The King began granting almost all conquered Kilwa to the Makambala: the priest class. The King aimed to helped grow the clergy into an effective administrative class to assist the King and unify the nation through organized ritual and rites, and immediately revolt risk declined in the new regions and tax income began to flow in.

From 1490 to 1500 the King steadily increased the powers of the Makambala and enforced new religious traditions such as church attendance duties and funded religious schools. Religious sacrifices are formalized. All of these policies gradually began to unify the populace and lead to common national traditions over the decade. King Chunzo reorganized the Lower Zambezi region into a state and invested heavily into national production development during this decade as well.

n690Vw1.jpg

By 1499, all Sunni provinces have been converted to Fetishist. We have adopted the first four religious ideas. Here is how development rises during the decade of 1490 to 1499: Lunda (cloth) rises by 5, Tete (ivory) rises by 2, Lolo (ivory) rises by 1, Tumbuka (ivory) rises by 1, Nsenga (grain) rises by 1. The nation of Tumbuka has become a leading producer of ivory at this point. Stability is laughably cheap at this point: -10 for first national idea, -10 for government type, -25 for church attendance duty, -20 for religious sacrifices = 35 points for +1 stability.

King Chunzo called forth his son late one evening. Prince Bwati entered his father’s chamber, uncertain what his father had called him for. The King was seated and was deep in thought; he did not even notice his son had entered until a few moments had passed. He beckoned his son to sit beside him. ‘Son’, he began, ‘you have lived most of your life at court, learning from me, your tutors and learning about how to handle court politics. You are a perceptive and principled man, and I have no doubt you will be a good King. Yet, you are nearing your twenty fourth birthday next month, and it is time I give you another form of training to prepare you for Kingship. Bwati, I am sending you to the court of Prince Matope Mwenemutapa. You will rule some of his lands and be a part of his court. Listen, Bwati, this will be hard; you are not just going to be governing, I need you to be the link to the capital as we begin integrating the Mutapan provinces. Watch Prince Mwenemutapa, speak the right words at the right time and keep your eyes open; you will be a governor, a diplomat and a spy. One day, you will also be King.’ The young prince was overwhelmed at the task before him, but he saw in his father’s eyes that he believed in him. King Chunzo had begun to shift the burden of rulership to the next generation, but time would tell if the king’s faith was well placed.

As he prepared to leave for his mission, Prince Bwati was presented with a map and information detailing the regional situation of the neighboring countries:

jhPICtN.jpg

Above: Prince Bwati’s Map. The Kingdom of Kazembe, our valuable ally, was currently absorbing the remaining minor Congolese kingdoms with the help of Congo. The Kingdom of Kongo had become a powerful nation to the North-West and the King was worried they might turn against the Kazembe for further expansion.To the far North, the Great Lakes nations were still fairly small. In the south, Butua still defied Tumbuka might by maintaining an alliance with the Kilwa Sultanate.

After a final look back at the capital, the Prince folded the parchment, climb onto his horse and rode out from the gates of Tumbuka.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Hope you are all enjoying the AAR so far. If anyone has any suggestions for how they want things to progress (i.e: less character driven, more/less screenshots, something you want to see me try in the game, or really anything), just let me know. I'm thinking about adding chapter links so you guys don't have to scroll down every time (since the AAR's starting to get longer... hurray), but not sure how. Anyone reading got any idea how to do that?