Thrall-worlds are effectively the rarest tech of tier 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GrosChefBandit

Recruit
Jun 10, 2021
Greetings people,

I've been trying to get the Thrall-world tech a couple of times now, in multiple games

It seems to have the lowest tech weight possible in Society techs: 35
And having the least modfiers to make it appear in your tech choices, which is a 1.25x multiplier if you have a Statecraft expert leading the research
So effectively it is a 43,75 weight
And if you dont have this Statecraft expert, it drops to 0.25x so its a 8,75 weight

Thrall-worlds.PNG

The only other tech at 35 is Arcane-Deciphering, which happens way more frequently

Arcane Deciphering.PNG

IMHO Thrall-worlds should be a rare tech like Resort worlds and Penal Colonies, which would get a bonus 1.5x from Technological Ascendancy

Right now its just not appearing in games, or way too late in the end game to make a difference

What do you think ?

• 2Like
Reactions:
And if you dont have this Statecraft expert, it drops to 0.25x so its a 8,75 weight
IMHO this is the part which is egregious.

The presence of a slave species is already a significant barrier, and the number of planets is a speed-bump for build like Shattered Ring.

Reactions:
Totally agree. The first time I wanted to make one I went to look the tech tree to look the tier of the tech or if I was missing an specific tech because it just took forever for it to appear.

I never had a problem getting Arcane Deciphering during a game. If you're not seeing it, my guess would be A) that there's some requirement that's being overlooked for the tech to spawn and/or B) there's a bit of a bug in triggering the requirement.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yes, even when enslaving several empires, I only get this tech in end game. The possibility for thrall worlds should be increased.

I never had a problem getting Arcane Deciphering during a game. If you're not seeing it, my guess would be A) that there's some requirement that's being overlooked for the tech to spawn and/or B) there's a bit of a bug in triggering the requirement.
Exactly ! Never had any problem getting Arcane Deciphering myself neither

Yet it is the same weight and tier as Thrall-worlds, and the Thrall-worlds tech never appears

Thats why I used it to compare, AD is considered a rare tech and spawns in every play it seems

Greetings people,

I've been trying to get the Thrall-world tech a couple of times now, in multiple games

It seems to have the lowest tech weight possible in Society techs: 35
And having the least modfiers to make it appear in your tech choices, which is a 1.25x multiplier if you have a Statecraft expert leading the research
So effectively it is a 43,75 weight

View attachment 730401

The only other tech at 35 is Arcane-Deciphering, which happens way more frequently

View attachment 730402

IMHO Thrall-worlds should be a rare tech like Resort worlds and Penal Colonies, which would get a bonus 1.5x from Technological Ascendancy

Right now its just not appearing in games, or way too late in the end game to make a difference

What do you think ?
i'm fine with efficient and stable slavery techs being extremely rare, slavery is already far too ezmode in this game :p

I wonder if it should be a tradition instead of a tech. After all, how technically sophisticated is "we're going to cram all our slaves on one planet"? No, the difficult bit is persuading your people that it's a good idea. Maybe in the expanded tradition trees, there will be a place for traditions about how to extract the maximum milk for the minimum moo, so to speak...

• 3Like
Reactions:
While I can't object to the conclusion that Thrall Worlds are the rarest T2 tech, I fail to see why that is a big deal. It's not like Thrall Worlds are all that terribly useful. Yes, you get +50% slave growth but without the ability to construct City District or Luxury Housing the planet is doomed to have low capacity which negates much of the benefit. And the slaves that grow on it all have to be manually resettled because of the infinite Toiler jobs preventing unemployment. If anything, not having it clutter up the tech options is a good thing.