• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ivashanko

Field Marshal
66 Badges
Dec 6, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
yuCbuo9.jpg

Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

Let Justice be done, though all the World Perish

Table of Contents:

It is beyond the work of a lowly historian such as myself to properly record the massive tale of the past century. This, of course, is no great criticism of myself or my work; those who have tried have only succeeded in writing books fit for high school consumption rather than pure history. The task I have set for myself has been arduous enough, and I have found myself traveling across five continents, through libraries in dozens of different countries, and dodging censors and rival historians who wish to contest my version of the Grand Truth. But, and the Greatest on High can personal attest to this, I believe that my work has finally reached a conclusion. I wish to thank fellow historians Robert Graves, Heinrich Himmler, Harper Lee, and hundreds of others. Without their great works this book would not have been possible.

If you see any writing with this colour, it is an editorial note. I'll write a few detailing my thought process, or to give background information that the author wouldn't think of putting in.

The Start of the Second Cold War

The end of the Third World War came not with a bang, but with a whimper. The defeated Syndicalists fled from their homes in France and England much like their royal rulers before them. Not content with merely driving them out of Europe, the Eighth Coalition invaded Africa and after a year of hard, bitter fighting conquered the continent.

th

Masses gather to celebrate the end of the conflict

This period of time is too close to my heart to write about as impartially as a historian should. The victory of all that I thought was good over all that I thought was evil still brings me near to tears. I would like to say right now that, despite what you may have heard, I love my country. I love it deeply; more deeply, in fact, than those that refuse to criticize it. Its victory over the foes that threatened it with destruction is something that I will always be thankful for. But this is a chapter in history that is much like the fall of Constantinople and the plight of the final Emperor Constantine; I can't possibly approach it without casting one side as demons and the other as angels. Thankfully many fine books already cover this period, chief among them We Wish We Fell, Blood in the Sahara, and the authoritative The Third Weltkrieg.

So instead of moralizing, I will simply present the facts. This, friends and fellow historians, is the situation of the world on June 26th, 1948, just before the second Congress of Vienna.

Because of the villainization of France, Napoleon's conquests became known as the First World War.

upload_2015-8-6_1-10-22.png

The Austria that founded the Eight Coalition was radically changed from the Austria that was called the 'Sick Man of Europe'. Its performance in the Brother's War shattered the perception of Vienna as a power past its prime and created a new regional superpower. The war started in 1937 when the young Emperor Otto von Hapsburg, who believed that his alliance with Germany was stronger than it was, pushed for full union with the assorted states of his Empire. The Hungarians refused, and rather than bribe them back into servitude the Austrian army called for a general advance. Despite assurances from the Kaiser, Berlin refused to intervene.

Austria's first target was Croatia, which had decided to stand with the Hungarians. The small country quickly collapsed in the face of sustained Austrian assault. The Papal Italians decided to take advantage of the situation and wrestled control of Venice back from the Austrians. This is something that is often glossed over by history books, but I think it led to one very significant outcome: it gave the Pope a great propaganda victory, something that caused the Syndicalists in the south no small amount of discomfort. With the help of the Bohemians and the Romanians, Austria quickly conquered much of Hungary, and then dealt with the aggressive Poles that had tried to forcefully unite with Galicia. Despite Russia's protests, Austria refused to release Poland as an independent state. This was something that Berlin tactically supported (afraid, as the Kaiser was, of the growing power of the Russian state and their newly crowned Tsar Vladimir Kirillovich Romanov, and convinced, as he was, of Vienna's continued support).

StrangeTank.jpg

Austrian Tanks rumbling through Hungary

Now I must mention an event which has caused me great shame over the year. I feel like a pious Roman must of after Rome broke its vows to protect Carthage, but I must list what my country has done. Bohemia, the small nation that had so steadfastly stood with the Austrians when the Brother's War broke out, asked for naught but to remain as an independent vassal of the Austrian Empire. The Austrian High Command found this to be unacceptable; what was the war fought over if not to incorporate all parts of the Empire into a undivided whole? Negotiations soon broke down, and Otto von Hapsburg reluctantly gave the order to bring the Bohemian state to heel. The Bohemians fought hard, but could not possibly withstand the Austrian advance. This action remains something that diplomats even today bring up to attack the remaining Hapsburgs.

His Imperial Majesty began instituting reforms that would one day be known as the Danube Federation. This massive undertaking was an attempt to allow equal access to political power to all ethnic and (to a lesser extent) religious groups. Perhaps no other person on earth would attempt to weaken his own power in an attempt to bring progressive reform to minority groups, but the Emperor had already come to deeply mistrust nationalism and national identity. The Hungarians, Montenegrins, Croatians, and Galacian eagerly accepted the reforms, for they expected to be given only the stick after their military defeat. The Poles, still in shock over the loss of their state, were less pleased with their place in the Empire. Guerrilla resistance sporadically spread across the nation. It should go without saying that the Bohemians were the least accepting. Their army and population had been forcefully disarmed so they had no way to resist the changes except through strikes and popular resistance.

Destroyed-Soviet-Tank-in-Budapest.jpg

The Invasion of Bohemia was short, but resulted in many lives lost.

The Emperor made it clear to the Kaiser that Germany's lack of faith during the Brother's War displeased him greatly. Austria began to look outward to try and better its diplomatic situation. A few tentative conversations occurred between the Entente and the Austrians but ultimately led nowhere; the Emperor did not feel that the Entente would be able to help him in case of a large scale conflict. There was one power though that could though: Russia. The ambassador in Petrograd met the newly crowned Tsar and convinced him over s series of meetings that an alliance with Austria would protect Russia from both German intervention and Syndicalist terror. The alliance had other benefits: trade bloomed between the two countries. This increase in economic activity was a particularly large blessing, for both countries were still struggle with the effects of the German stock crash.

55629_2.jpg

Syndicalist soldiers enjoying a break during the invasion of Germany

In 1942, the Syndicalist Politburo in France sent the German Kaiser a curt message: Alsace-Lorraine or war. Before this Paris had carefully avoided provoking the giant superpower to their east, but it became convinced that Austria would not come to Germany's aid and that Berlin had overstretched itself dealing with rebellions in Indochina and Africa. The German soldiers fought valiantly, but were being slowly pushed back into the heartland. To make matters worse Northern Italy was quickly conquered by Syndicalist forces. Then, miraculously, things soon began to stabilize; Lawrence of Arabia was thrown back to England, the Carlists were making noises that they were about to join the war, the French were unable to advance across the Rhine, and, most auspiciously, the Austrians and Russians were beginning to mobilize.

And Austria declared war on Germany.

They say that Paris was so confused by the report that they spent the entire day debating whether or not to tell the public. In Berlin, shock reigned. Operation Titanfall had begun.

The war was not as easy as High Command thought it would be. The Germans proved to be remarkably resilient, and occupied large parts of Bohemia before the Austrian army was able to surround the southern divisions. While the outcome of the war was never in doubt, the sometimes fanatical defence led the Germans to draw an unfortunate conclusion: that they could have beaten the French on their own. That Austrian intervention was not a last minute attempt to save Germany from Syndicalist powers, but rather was an attempt to usurper Germany's rightful place in the sun. This 'Stab in the Back' myth (and the necessity of Operation Titanfall in general) is fiercely debated by historians to this day, but there is no doubt that it would fuel much of the growth of the large right-wing anti-Austrian paramilitaries after the Syndicalists fell.

20f73d933834479e6adfb60e514a593c.jpg

This famous image of a destroyed Berlin, captured by famed photographer Joseph Goebbels, became a rallying cry for anti-Austrian right-wing forces after the war.

MittleEuropa was then divided up into three zone. The French held the Ruhr, Alsace-Lorraine and a very large section of western Germany, which it used to create the German Union. Russia conquered all of Germany's allies in the east with the exception of the Ukraine, which had become a bizarre form of Syndicalism now called Khrushchevism (after the Ukrainian Syndicalist leader Nikita Khrushchev) which advocated an alliance between the monarch and the people against the aristocracy and the capitalist classes. This form of Syndicalism kept the Ukraine from joining any of the conflict's three sides, which, for a time, protected its independence. Austria overturned the Peace of Prague and regained the territory it had lost to the Germans. Though many in the Austrian High Command wanted to replace Kaiser Wilhelm II with a Hapsburg, Otto von Hapsburg refused. He believed that a Hapsburg on the throne would be weak and hated by his subjects, and that a proper German Kaiser would help pacify the German people and keep the army in line. For all intents and purposes Germany had become a vassal of Austria.

upload_2015-8-6_1-2-57.png

France quickly came to the conclusion that the Vienna-Moscow axis was too powerful to engage directly. Instead Paris decided that it was time to deal with the deposed nationalists and royalists that had fled to Africa and beyond. In a matter of weeks much of North Africa was overrun. The French, British, and Italians pushed deep into the continent, and were even able to aid a Syndicalist coup in South Africa and Iceland. They were often greeted as liberators, and as Africans rose to lead African states the stain of Syndicalism began to take root deep in the hearts of the natives.

upload_2015-8-6_1-11-21.png

Not all was well for the French. The areas around the 'Front Line' between Austria, Germany, and the Syndicalists became a battleground of warring militias and paramilitary groups. The German Union in particular had to fight a desperate battle against its own people, and only survived because of the support of the French. The French clergy and other so-called 'reactionary' groups formed the backbone of Austrian intelligence in the country, while Syndicalism spread in Bohemia, Poland, and large parts of Russian-occupied Eastern Europe. Britain remained mostly peaceful; the government was radical, but in many ways only superficially syndicalist. They either ignored or supported religious activities, refused to exhort much energy trying to spread revolution abroad, and allowed private wealth and even a form of (somewhat primitive) capitalism. Historians call this type of political system 'the Canterbury Compact', or 'Compactism', for the agreement between the British government and the Anglican Church.

This First Cold War ended in June 1945 when a German paramilitary group launched coordinated attacks on schools throughout the German Union and eastern France. Despite what many historians will tell you there is no good evidence that this took place with the support of German or Austrian intelligence. The so-called 'Danube Document' is an obvious Syndicalist forgery of the highest order created to make the Austrian intelligence service look like they worked without oversight or supervision. I can not and will not believe that any true Austrian would ever agree to kill children.

The resulting war resulted in the deaths of over five million people. The Austrians, Russians, and Germans significantly outnumbered the Syndicalists who nonetheless fought ferociously and nearly broke through into Austria itself before being pushed back. Italy was the first nation to fall; its internal divisions, the support of the Mafia, and the Catholic Church's all-but-open blessing of the Eight Coalition advance caused a civil war in northern Italy which broke the back of the Italian syndicalists even before Coalition troops arrived. The German Union fell next- its own troops were demoralized and uninterested in fighting Germans and many surrendered or turned on their French allies at the first opportunity. France itself held out for nearly a year and a half before being overrun, but the country simply did not have the manpower to fight such the forces arrayed against it. Britain was a tougher nut to crack but the majority of Britain's forces were either stuck in Africa or had been destroyed fighting in Italy or France. The invasion was bloody and ferocious, but after the Coalition forces had gained a beachhead the whole rotten structure that was the British government collapsed. This, ironically, was to be a great blessing for England, as it left most of its roads, almost all of its industry, and much of its great cities entirely intact.

upload_2015-8-6_1-14-9.png

The invasion of Africa soon followed. The newly liberated Papal Italy began flexing its muscles by launching naval invasions across North Africa, but it was only when Austrian and German troops began arriving in large numbers that Syndicalist positions began to be overrun. The continent was too large to keep the Coalition's forces from quickly penetrating into it, and the African nations and European Remnants were simply not powerful enough to hold back the coming tide. The struggle was deadly; many villages and towns were burnt down, and many lives were lost. The civilians casualties in particular were horrendous. The outright majority of the 5 million lives lost during this struggle were lost under the African sun. The Portuguese took advantage of the opportunity to declare war on the Internationale and to scoop up more colonies. Soon the last holdouts of French and British resistance were defeated, and what remained of their governments accepted an offer of annexation and surrender. The remaining African Syndicalist countries held out for a while longer, but soon their territory was occupied and their official armies forced to surrender. Many Africans and Europeans retreated to the vast interior of the continent, were they began to wage a guerrilla war against the neo-colonizers. This war would soon become a gaping wound for Germans, Austrians, and Portuguese alike.

I hope my loyal readers have not grown bored of my more factual presentation; I promise you that proper analysis and even a touch of personal anecdotes will soon flow forth from these pages. But for now I leave you with one lasting image. Imagine an African boy, a boy unable to dream of a world where he can obtain any kind of influence, a boy who had to deal with incompetent officials, many of whom had lived in Austria all of their lives, a boy who's anger grew as he saw that to the Europeans he was both a threat and a savage. This boy, and others like him, would soon lead some of the bloodies revolutions the world has ever known.

I just wanted to say hello to all my readers. This is my first AAR, so I'm kind of nervous that it won't go so well. I've been thinking about writing one for a while, but the excellent ARR 'The Crown Atomic' recently inspired me to try. I didn't think I'd be writing an AAR until after the Syndicalists were conquered, so I apologize for the complete lack of pictures from between the start of the game until the start of the AAR. This chapter, and the next one (but hopefully not the one after that) are prologues that will explain what happened between 1936 and when the AAR begins in 1948. If you have any suggestions about writing style, spelling, etc, don't hesitate to mention it. Also I'll probably incorporate some of the board's ideas about how events are going to play out, so don't be surprised if your idle board speculation spawns a bloody conflict in the middle of nowhere. Finally, I need some help with a few modding tools- this is particularly true when it comes to army unit flags, which I find myself unable to come to terms with. If anyone would like to give me a few pointers or answer a few questions, I'd really appreciate it.

And if you enjoy the AAR please comment! Not only is the feedback helpful, but its also a motivating factors. It gets awfully lonely writing new posts when no one responds.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-5_17-19-7.png
    upload_2015-8-5_17-19-7.png
    807,5 KB · Views: 98
  • upload_2015-8-5_17-19-18.png
    upload_2015-8-5_17-19-18.png
    807,5 KB · Views: 84
  • upload_2015-8-6_0-47-5.png
    upload_2015-8-6_0-47-5.png
    587,8 KB · Views: 80
  • upload_2015-8-6_1-10-45.png
    upload_2015-8-6_1-10-45.png
    807,5 KB · Views: 83
  • upload_2015-8-6_1-12-59.png
    upload_2015-8-6_1-12-59.png
    628,1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Smallish prologue update. I'll get to the good stuff soon, I promise!

upload_2015-8-18_12-31-23.png

It is difficult to imagine a more hellish decade than the one the United States went through during the 1930s. The country's ideological divisions and economic woes lead to a terrible Civil War which caused the deaths of five million people. The Syndicalists and the Pacific States were in the process of overrunning both the federal government and Huey Long's neo-Confederacy when the Canadian High Command came to the conclusion that the United States was irreparably broken. The resulting Canadian invasion of the CSA was relatively swift and bloodless. The remaining American armies quickly threw down their guns and surrendered. Before the start of Canada's involvement, New England had already become dependent on Ottawa, and was allowed to survive.

This created grave problems for the Canadian-British administration. The subjects of the newly-crowned Emperor Edward were overwhelmingly Americans, many of whom were ill-prepared to accept a foreign authority. The northern cities were mostly destroyed, and the Syndicalists were either killed in battle or by the large right-winged militias that roamed the land. The West was a bastion of anti-Canadian sentiment; the people there had no direct memory of Syndicalist terror, and thus they believed that the Imperial intervention was unnecessary. The South, on the other hand, became a staunch supporter of the Anglo-Union and the Emperor. Huey Long was allowed to retain power in much of the south, and the people there became convinced that the only thing keeping the north from rising again was the jackboot of the Entente's army. Canada also refused to touch racial inequality in the region, which endeared them to the local population.

The former United States were filled with oftentimes violent political groups of radically different ideologies. Syndicalists, Khrushchevists, and Totalists competed with the radical right wing, who were themselves divided between those who believed in an independent Republicans (the feared United Republican Army) and those who supported the monarchy. The Empire's approach to this particular issue was novel: rather than try and control the vastly larger American population, it enacted widespread democratic reform in an attempt to pacify the population. Against all odds this approach somewhat worked, and in 1944 Canada reformed to become the Imperial States of America. If this process seems familiar to you, that is because it is: official Canadian documents explicitly mention that much of these reforms were inspired by the Danube Reforms. In both cases, though, large sects of the population refused to see the light and remained at odds with the government.

The Imperial States had yet to develop a cohesive response to the Coalition's successful fight against the Syndicalists. In the last couple of years historians have found Entente plans to invade France or England during the collapse of the Internationale, but for some reason an attempt was never made. I can only speculate as to why, but I suspect it was mostly logistics: the Entente's continued defeats in Africa made it impossible for them to launch a massive overseas invasion. In the middle of 1948 English, Canadian, and American politicians debated and argued over their role in the future of the Homelands.

I was originally going to have Canada be a more authoritative regime, but I wanted to be truthful to how the game played out and I didn't want to copy the Crown Atomic's Canada.

During the Internationale's invasion of Africa the remnant of the old French government was forced to flee again, this time over the Atlantic Ocean to a home the Canadians set up for them. This administration, called the Norfolk Administration for its location in the small town of Norfolk, had even greater problems managing the territory nominally under their control than the Canadians did. The government had no legitimacy in the eyes of its people, and many did not even fully comprehend that their leaders were now French. One famous story involves a woman who, after being pulled over by French police for speeding, invoking the name of the Imperial Emperor and told the police they had no authority over her.

upload_2015-8-8_1-38-28.png

The Middle East had been torn apart by ethnic and regional strife. The Ottoman Empire tried to implement their version of the Danube Reform, but a punishing and ultimately losing war against the Egyptians, Persians, Libyans and Arabs caused them to fall apart. The lack of German or Austrian support has led to a bitterly anti-European government, a government where ethnic tensions between the majority Turks and the minorities rose, and Christians everywhere are suspected of being spies for the enemies. The Kurds successfully revolted, leading to a radical left-wing state in the region that fully armed its population. In 1945 the Kurdish government took the first tentative steps towards repressing Islam, a stance that would inevitably draw it into conflict with surrounding powers. The Egyptians and Yemenis were quick to pounce on the German Empire while it was weak, taking the Suez Canal and southern Yemen respectively, and Egypt in particular watched with concern as Germany grew ever more powerful and angry that the Egyptians had taken over its colony. Egypt's control over much of its northern territory was spotty at the best of times, and the land became something of a 'Wild West' where Jewish nationalists competed with Christian missionaries, organized crime, Islamic fundamentalists, and anti-Egyptian militias.

upload_2015-8-8_1-39-8.png

At the start of the Second Weltkreig the ideological divisions of India reflected the world's as a whole. By the end of it, much had changed, but the subcontinent remained an ideological microcosm. In the north, an Entente-allied Delhi had successfully liberated the Indian Commune, though the country's elite were becoming more and more wary as their country's industrial and economic interests became nearly entirely dominated by Imperial aristocrats and businessmen. The Princely Federation began to look abroad for support, and the region remained a haven for Syndicalists fleeing from the Entente or the Coalition. Japanese and Russian spies in particular played their own version of the 20th century's Great Game, with explosive results that would in time leave millions dead. But I get ahead of myself; in 1948 Russia was only on the outskirts of India, as it controlled a rebellious Tibet (which it had liberated from the Mongols) and Burma (which it had taken from the Syndicalists).

upload_2015-8-8_1-39-29.png

There is something about China that has always drawn the eye. It is hard to say whether it is its past imperial glories, the vastness of its size, or the terrible events that repeatedly occur to it, but it is a land I love to visit, a land where I can communicate with the people (or, at least, the Mandarin Han and the Cantonese) fluently. My work with the AOG in particular has caused me to study the area with the greatest interest, and there are some who would say that I am one the world's leading expert on Chinese affairs.

It is fair to say that be 1948 China was nothing more than a geographical entity. The Qing spent much of the 30s industrializing and Westernizing, a process that the Emperor embraced so fervently that Christianity was officially encouraged, a Latin-based script was adopted, and Western styles of clothing were freely given to the rural population. The Qing Emperor believed that these changes, as well as ones that had completely redesigned China's military, made his country more powerful than it was. Instead of striking south or east, his armies moved against the Japanese in the hopes that the Chinese people would rally around him and help drive out the imperialists and rebels. In this the Emperor was greatly mistaken; the Chinese people in the south and east did revolt, but were unable to achieve independence, and the Japanese soon annexed China and sent the Qing Emperor running to the AOG.

In the south, the Yunnan Clique tried to take advantage of German weakness after the Austrian Intervention by declaring war on the AOG. Their armies successfully conquered most of the company's territory before Coalition forces overran its position in 1946. The Russian armies, without the permission of their allies, set up their own puppet government in order to protect their interests in southern Asia.

The long survival of the AOG is one of the greatest and most debated mysteries of the 20th century. The first half of the company's history is remarkable, but somewhat analogous to that of the British East Indian Company. Its second half was like nothing else in history. With the defeat of Germany and the saving of the company by Coalition forces, the company's board of directors were technically supposed to support Austrian, German, and Russian interests, but soon found themselves unable to follow the instructions of their competing masters. Over time the company's board took significant steps towards a form of independence by unifying its armies under Chinese-born-European commanders and an attempt to create a common front with the local Cantonese, but by 1948 its efforts had mostly failed. The Chinese were not yet confident enough to fight the Coalition in open battle, but more and more gunfire began to be heard in the cities and the countryside became unsafe for any travelling European.

Interestingly enough the AOG is an independent government, not a puppet.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-8_1-20-36.png
    upload_2015-8-8_1-20-36.png
    431,2 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
This is the last part of the prologue. After this you all can look forward to reading about the second Congress of Vienna!

upload_2015-8-8_13-2-52.png

The Japanese sphere of influence only to grow during the Second Welkrieg, as did the number of nations seeking an allience with it. In the north the government of Transamur clung to Tokyo in the hope that its allience would keep the Russian bear from looking east. To the south Thailand still struggled with incorperating German Indochina, especially as the pro-independent rebels began turning their guns on Thai soldiers. Japan's High Command was not oblivious to its allies' problems, but it still looked greedily upon Dutch's colonies, Hawaii, and even the weak and fractious southern Indians.

upload_2015-8-8_13-3-49.png

Russia's Asian sphere of influence. Like with earlier pictures ignore the information on the bottom; I left the alliance with Russia to get a better picture of their SOI.

upload_2015-8-8_13-1-39.png

By 1948 Australisia had grown into a strong regional power. Many refugees from America were greatly accepted by the country, though this led to issues with a native population that was tired of putting up with the strange practices of the migrants, and worried that they might be bringing Syndicalism or far-right winged politics with them. Dutch Indonesia, on the other hand, remained one of the few relatively peaceful colonies left on earth, though with the rise of the Japanese and their anti-European rhetoric the Dutch in 1948 had much to be worried about.

upload_2015-8-8_13-5-3.png

South America remained divided into two camps: the authoritarians and the leftists. Argentina beat Brazil in a large scale war during the 40s, but Brazil was able to survive with their government intact and had reached out to other leftist nations in an attempt to reconquer what they had lost. Even in 1948 it was clear that another war in the continent would soon occur.

Last edited:
"Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!" The little duchess whispered excitedly.

Her father smiled. He tried to act like this wasn't new to him but he had to admit to himself that he had never seen a more glorious event. The ballroom was covered in tiny gold specs that somehow refracted the light into rainbow colours. The soldiers and servants that frittered throughout the room were dressed in some of the finest clothing the Duke had ever seen, and the masks that everyone wore only added to the majesty of the event.

"Is that the Emperor of Japan?" The duchess pointed at a clearly Asian man wearing some sort of demon mask.

"Don't point." He commanded. He could not imagine how much this event cost to throw. More than he'd ever see in a lifetime, he suspected. But why shouldn't his people finally enjoy themselves? They had been scared since before the Second French Revolution, storing guns in their homes and keeping a constant eye on their servants just in case the hated virus of Syndicalism affect them as well. They had been scared since the end of Verdun, since the overrunning of Paris, since the torture of the Holy Father himself. Why shouldn't they get the sort of ball that their grandfathers' enjoyed? Why shouldn't they show the world that their time had once again come? This was our victory, the Duke thought. Ours.

Last edited:
upload_2015-8-8_19-44-43.png

This post will be more event-picture heavy than most. The description in the events are part of the story, so please read them!

In history it is often difficult to separate fact from fiction, but with the Second Congress of Vienna it is all but impossible. The rumor and intrigue of the aristocratic classes has created hundreds of contradictory reports, and the topic has become such a successful draw for Imperial Hollywood and Napoli movies that witnesses often confused something they saw in a movie for something that actually occurred. I, myself, was invited, and I can confirm that what really happened was almost as magical as the rumors say. No expense was spared on the Congress, something which often irritated the lower classes throughout the Empire who had fought the wars and were still scrounging for food.

This was, in many ways, the upper classes coming-out party. It was their way of announcing to the world that the troubles of the past fifty years were at an end. That the world had been put right and that they were in charge once again. With the conquest of France the exiled aristocracy, many of whom had not held estates in France since the first Restoration, began carving up the newly 'liberated territory' while those of other conquered states had already sent their servants to occupy their former lands.

But the main purpose of the Congress was to decide the fate of occupied Europe. The most important issue was what was to be done with France.

upload_2015-8-8_19-58-44.png

The Austrian Emperor fervently believed that the only way France would stay low was to break the country into four parts, each with their own monarch. This proposal was met with widespread approval, particularly with Carlist Spain, who's monarch Francis gave a long speech on the dangers of a united France. Despite Spain's approval, the real authority lay with the Emperors of the four strongest nations in the world: Japan, Russia, the Imperial States, and Austria. There were few nations on earth more aware of the threat of Syndicalism than Russia, who quickly supported their ally's proposal. Japan held no love for the French's appeal to the nations of Asia to reject imperialism and capitalism, and so they also agreed to the break up of the country. The British were the lone holdout: the British Emperor's National French allies pressured him into proposing that France be given back to the Nationalists, something which drew heavy condemnation.

upload_2015-8-8_20-7-21.png

At the bottom here you can see the different major powers voting on the proposal.

View attachment 134854

The Congress erupted into cheers and celebration as the roll call came to a close and it became clear that the proposal would pass. The whole city of Vienna celebrated for days as dozens of potential royal candidates approached the Emperors in the hopes of gaining a throne. The question of who would rule would soon be a contentious one, but at that moment goodwill reigned. I personally remember those days as some of the best of my life; many lasting friendships were made over the popping of champagne and the constant toasting of our boys in uniform.

70th-Anniversary-Celebrations-of-VE-Day-745x483.jpg

Masses celebrated the success of the proposal throughout the world.

upload_2015-8-8_20-18-58.png

After Holy Mass, the Pope himself approached Otto von Hapsburg and asked him for Austria's support to rebuild the newly rechristened Papal Italy. It is suspected that the Holy Father exaggerated the state of Italy's industry and the extent of the Syndicalist damage: the country had mostly avoided the worst of that leftist ideology. The Emperor, conscious of his role as a Most Christian Ruler, and desiring an eventual alliance with the strongly Catholic powers of Carlist Spain and Portugal, decided to give the Pope the support he asked for. Soon Austria's industrial capability would be stretched to the breaking point as it attempted to rebuild a destroyed Europe.

The Swiss President Albert Meyer requested the return of Geneva. The city had suffered greatly during the French Occupation as the French harshly oppressed the Swiss majority and shipped much of the city's industry to France. The Austrians believed that other world powers would be upset if they decided to give the city to their French puppets, so Geneva was once again part of Switzerland.

upload_2015-8-8_20-36-23.png

A variety of other small issues were raised to the Emperor and to the Congress. The Germans requested that they be allowed to keep the part of France they occupied during the war; a request that was harshly denied, though the Germans were allowed time to dismantle the industry in the region and bring it back to Germany.

upload_2015-8-8_20-38-22.png

The Tsar's demand that Poland be liberated was denied by the Austrian Emperor. Otto von Hapsburg did not believe in the right of a people to be ruled in a nation comprised of only their own ethnic group, and was afraid that liberating Poland would anger the many soldiers who had died in Poland and the conservatives who believed that releasing the nation would diminish the glory of Austria.

upload_2015-8-8_20-43-24.png

Various nations proposed that the Suez Canal be returned to a civilized power, as the Egyptians could hardly be expected to secure such a vital link in the world. The Egyptians and their allies (Arabia, Libya, and Persia) strongly argued against this, and none of the major powers wanted to lead the charge into Egypt. The British, Austrians, and Russians all claimed the port in case something was to happen to the Egyptian nation; this angered them and their allies so much that they stormed out of the Congress.

upload_2015-8-8_20-46-18.png

There were some in the Imperialist factions in Austria that supported continued Imperial control of Flanders-Wallonia; the country had once been part of Austria, and they were convinced that what had once been part of the Empire should never be allowed to go free. The Emperor disagreed with this assessment; the Austrian nation could hardly afford an occupation of the area, and King Leopold was a personal friend of his.

upload_2015-8-8_20-49-25.png

Not all was good, however. Ever since the end of Operation Titanfall terrorists in Germany had targeted Austrian citizens, but a new form of Republican terror began sweeping the cities. These groups saw the German Kaiser as a stooge of the Austrian Emperor, and that the only way the German Empire could protect themselves is if they achieved independence and dealt with the Austrians once and for all.

upload_2015-8-8_20-52-36.png

Iceland was also given independence, but the nation didn't interest the author enough to write about it.

Finally the Congress began to discuss the fate of Britain. Unlike National France, the exiled British remained a significant power, and Austrian diplomats were convinced that whatever they proposed would be shot down by a British Emperor who had spent the entire Congress rallying support for the Windsors return to England. Sure enough, despite the support of Japan and Russia, the British obtained enough votes to keep the proposal from passing.

upload_2015-8-8_20-58-47.png

You can see how the various powers voted on the bottom. I also should have gone over this (and many other) event's text: I meant to write 'a divided England' not a United one

Coalition diplomats made it clear to the British that the Emerald Isles would be divided. The British, like the French, had been a menace to global stability for centuries, and the Eighth Coalition never again wanted to face a threat from Albion. At the same time, however, Austria had no desire to make a mortal enemy out of the Imperial States. Otto von Hapsburg approached Emperor Edward with a suggestion that he hoped would be accepted to both; that Britain would be divided, but that England would have a Windsor monarch and the Exiles would be allowed to return to their estates, regardless of which part of Britain they were from. The North American Empire, seeing that they would get no better offer, agreed to this proposal. Edward's brother George was given the crown of England.

upload_2015-8-8_21-5-14.png

As the month long Congress drew to a close, the various nations came to the conclusion that a permanent organization was necessary to solve the problems of the world. The League of Monarchs (which would also come to be known as the Crowned League) would have diplomats from all the kingdoms in the world, who would together proposal solutions to various issues. Though the League had not yet been formed it became an instant target of Republicans and Syndicalists who decried the 'kingdoms-only' club's ability to enforce their will on countries without monarchs. They also (correctly, as it turned out) feared that the League and particularly the most powerful nations in it would try and crush republicanism in an attempt to strengthen the organization and widen its control.

The detractors' fears were released days latter. Hawaii, for years a strong and vibrant republic, was forced to become a monarchy.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-8_19-37-37.png
    upload_2015-8-8_19-37-37.png
    648,8 KB · Views: 86
  • upload_2015-8-8_19-38-19.png
    upload_2015-8-8_19-38-19.png
    649,7 KB · Views: 82
  • upload_2015-8-8_19-54-38.png
    upload_2015-8-8_19-54-38.png
    629,1 KB · Views: 82
  • upload_2015-8-8_20-32-34.png
    upload_2015-8-8_20-32-34.png
    631,6 KB · Views: 84
  • upload_2015-8-8_20-52-6.png
    upload_2015-8-8_20-52-6.png
    408,5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hey I'm having difficult posting pictures in my edits- which is important 'cause some of my pictures have already broken. Does anyone know how I fix that?

Edit: NVM got it. Does anyone know why the picture broke in the first place? I don't want to lose anymore if I could avoid it.

Last edited:
"You get a monarch! And you get a monarch! Everybody is getting a monarch!"

Also, are the Imperial States going to absorb New England and get cores on America?

Subbed.

Thanks everyone! It is always really nice to have people respond to an AAR, even if my writing hasn't been as good as it used to be. It'll get better with practice, I promise. It has just been a long time since I wrote anything like this.

The fall of the first Hawaiian Republic started in early August. A group of Japanese man, whose names have been lost to history, was accused of raping a famous boxer's mother. The relative of the victim began spreading their story throughout the whole island, and several days latter protests turned into race riots. The islands racial hierarchy was a complex issue and the Japanese were generally mistrusted because of their homeland's aggressive nature and their tendency towards self-segregation. The Hawaiian Government, afraid that the fighting would provoke Japanese aggression, brutally put down the rioters.

upload_2015-8-11_21-39-0.png

A Japanese family returning to their homes after the riots

Then-Emperor Hirohito did not accept Hawaii's apologies. Japan had long been worried about its position in the world; of the four major powers, it was by far the weakest. The Japanese High Command was convinced that war would come soon and the Far East Prosperity Sphere would need more allies if Tokyo was to dictate Asia's role in the conflict. Furthermore Hawaii's logistical position and English speaking majority would allow Japan to better mettle with the internal workings of the Imperial States. The Imperial Japanese Navy began sending ships into Hawaiian waters.

Honolulu quickly sent a dispatch to Ottawa asking for support. The British's focus in Asia was spent on another brewing conflict against the Russians and they therefore had no interest in damaging their fragile relationship with the Japanese.

upload_2015-8-11_21-39-29.png

The return of the Great Game greatly worried the British, who began to make plans for countering Russian aggression. I worded this event with the plan that Delhi would invade India, but the AI decided that it did not want to provoke Russia with such an aggressive move. It will be interesting for me to see how things play out from here.

The Hawaiian government realized that the only way they could avoid an invasion was to bend the knee and beg for forgiveness. Tokyo was delighted with the news, and their terms were light: Hawaii was forced to accept a king of Japan's choosing, join the Far East Prosperity Sphere, and allow Japan to conduct Hawaii's foreign policy. The cowardly native leaders quickly accepted the offer. Hawaii was soon occupied, and a king once again sat upon its throne.

upload_2015-8-11_21-41-13.png

Because of the stress caused by integrating the former German Union, Berlin was in no position to support its colonies in half of Africa. In a deft move praised even by conservatives, Kaiser Wilhelm III appointed a loyal African Princeling, Mwambutsa IV, to be the nominal head of Mittleafrika. This left the Austrians in a difficult position; its conservatives and imperialists were in no mood to give away what they saw as their colonial destiny, especially not to an African Prince. They believed that they and their Austrian armies would crush the Syndicalists now engaged in guerrilla warfare.
upload_2015-8-11_21-41-46.png

Mwambutsa was a great admirer of the Germans, and had fought on the German side against both the French and the Austrians. He was guided through the early parts of his reign by the energetic but incompetent Heinrich Schnee.

parsley_massacre-persil.jpg

The Haitian Revolution left many dead on both sides. Civilians quickly became a favorite target of paramilitary units.

A formerly obscure event, the Haitian Revolution has recently been rediscovered by historians looking for clues about why the Catastrophe of South America occurred. The typical story, which is embedded in the average Haitian's understand of his own history, is that the Haitians rose up after ten long years of Dominican rule. What historians now believe is that a Columbia backed Totalist faction already working in the radically rightist and hopelessly poor Dominican Republic was able to rally the people to action after police soldiers fired upon striking fishermen. The army was able to hold the eastern half of Hispaniola, but the syndicalists joined with Haitian nationalists and declared independence from General Trujillo's regime. This new nation instantly found support from the anti-rightist alliance of Venezuela and Columbia, but found itself unable to quickly overwhelm the Dominicans.

upload_2015-8-11_21-42-45.png

Columbia is a Totalist regime, but Venezuela is a social liberal democracy. I have no idea how that happened. In the AAR the idea is that in South America the extreme right (led by an Argentina victorious in their war against Brazil), is seen as a much greater threat than the radical left, and so leftist democracies are able to ally with Totalist powers without issue.

upload_2015-8-11_21-43-15.png

Throughout the years leading up to the defeat of France, German's population of Jews had swelled as many fled from conflict. This was particularly true of Russian, American, and Polish Jews, who were fleeing from civil conflict and invasion. During the Syndicalist War, many continued to flee south into Austria, created a vast and vibrant community that still proudly exists to this day. In the aftermath of the war and the rise of the German far right, many of the immigrants (many of whom had never really integrated with the local population) feared that another conflict was coming. Rather than be continuously tossed around by the tides of international events, many decided that the Jewish people deserved a homeland of their own. Even though Egypt was nominally in control of Palestine, its armies were engaged in fierce battles with partisans elsewhere, and the Jews believed that they could set up a community without protest from Cairo. And, for a while, they were correct.

Jewish%2Brefugees.jpg

The long awaited Return to the Holy Lands.

upload_2015-8-11_21-43-26.png

The Austrian economy experienced the start of austerity in the months following the Congress. Far too much of Europe was destroyed to trade with, and even the countries that had not been occupied had to built up again. At the same time Austrian imperialists demanded that great resources be poured into the African colonies. Austria's economy was not strong enough to support both these issues and its own military needs, and so the Imperial military budget was greatly slashed. This would have sever repercussions in the years to come.

This was a necessary handicap; otherwise I'd just run over any opposition in a future conflict.

Last edited: