• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hah, most of their units aren't even infantry!

January-July 1938

Leaning back in his chair in the Oval Office, General Douglas MacArthur smiled triumphantly: After only three months of fighting (most of the resistance being put up in the first month or so), the Pacific States of America had accepted the inevitable and formally surrendered, formally being readmitted to the union.

Mac_Arthur_33.png

As of January of 1938, the only remaining rouge territories were in the Pacific and New England:

"Sir," said Brigadier General Smith "We've seized control over the PSA fleet completely: We figure that an invasion of Hawaii and and the Pacific territories could be completed in-"

"Let them go," interrupted MacArthur, lighting his corncob pipe "We've got bigger problems right now: Rebuilding the former PSA, CSA, and Union State, as well as getting back New England from the Canadians."

"But sir!"

"That's an order, Smith. Besides, they're more trouble than they're worth. Now Puerto Rico, on the other hand, we NEED that back: We're way to vulnerable to an invasion from the Entente as it is and PR as a part of the Caribbean Federation is as good as a dagger aimed at the belly of America. Speaking of Perfidious Albion, how are the 'negotiations' going?"

"Excellently sir," The troop buildup in Pennsylvania seems to be having the desired effect."

Mac_Arthur_34.png

Mac_Arthur_35.png

"Furthermore," added Smith "We've begun to integrate PSA ex-military personnel into the National Guard structure of the western states."

Mac_Arthur_36.png

"And we've also entered secret negotiations with Mittleuropa to join their bloc."

"That'll teach those rotten-toothed, tea-drinking bastards that we're not just their lapdogs."

"What about the foreign front?" inquired MacArthur "Is it another 'good news, bad news' thing?"

"No, sir, it's pretty much all bad news," said Smith

Last edited:
The Canucks sure hate you. It's okay since I like you.

July 1938-January 1939

"Wait," said MacArthur curiously, snatching the documents from his adjutant "You said it 'was pretty much all bad news': What did you mean by that?"

"Well..."said Smith, trailing off as if looking for the right words

Mac_Arthur_37.png

"Sir, do you remember those Mexican military officers we gave our support to in hopes that they would topple the red government?" began Smith

"Oh, let me guess," replied MacArthur angrily "The reds caught them and finished them off, right?"

"A good number of them applied for asylum, but with the Union State and PSA in control of the border regions, they were pretty much out of luck."

Mac_Arthur_40.png

"Also the Germans had been fighting Vietnamese syndicalists for months," continued Smith "However, the poor state of their economy and ongoing preparations for war with the French forced them to abandon the area."

"Dammit," snarled MacArthur "If they had just concentrated their bombing raids on their supply depots and industrial facilities, as well as sent massive troop numbers into their strongholds instead of just propping up the local colonial government and letting them do the fighting, this never would have happened."

Mac_Arthur_41.png

"Also," resumed Smith "The war in Spain has ended in a decisive defeat for BOTH the legitimate government and the Carlists. Those who could went into exile in Portugal, Free France, or Germany, but our sources there tell us that the reds are eying Portugal as well. The only silver lining to the situation is that the German puppet regime of Mittleafrika and the exiled French government seized the Spanish colonies before the reds could set up puppets."

"Unbelievable," groused MacArthur "Just unbelievable! Could 1939 be a worse year on the international front?"

"Actually sir," said Smith, unsure whether or not the question was rhetorical "It could."

Mac_Arthur_42.png

"Our remaining sources in red France tell us that the Internationale is preparing for war with Mittleuropa any month now. While we're confident that the Union of Britain and the Commune can be defeated by the Germans alone, if the Russians join the war on the French side, all bets are off: The German eastern flank is the weakest one."

MacArthur sighed exasperatedly:

"For now with Europe, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best," he said "Smith, I want you to keep me posted on any new developments out of Europe. For the time being, we've got our own red trash to take out."

"Of course, sir," replied Smith dutifully

"Also send word to the commanders in Texas and the Southwest: Preparations for Operation Cortez are to begin immediately. Timeline for completion is by October of this year."

Huh, I almost never see Russia lose the Civil War. Are you skewing the results to creat ea more challenging end game?

Huh, I almost never see Russia lose the Civil War. Are you skewing the results to creat ea more challenging end game?

Just to make it more interesting, yes ;)

Although I did (manually) nerf the Commune of France even further because I was kind of worried that the German AI would do something fatally stupid.

I later learned that the German AI for fighting France is excellent: Seriously, I once saw CoF conquer the western half of the Reich and the German AI eventually mounted a counter-attack, almost pushing them back to the Rhine.

Last edited:
July 1939

General Douglas MacArthur had found himself considerably annoyed as of late: Not only had Spain fallen to the syndicalists, but now the entire Iberian peninsula was in red hands:

Mac_Arthur_43.png

Concerns over the ever-expanding Soviet Russia and the Internationale's master plan had caused the general-president even more stress.
However, it was an emergency radio broadcast which bought him potentially advantageous or horrifying:

Mac_Arthur_44.png

"Breaking news out of Paris," came the voice of the radio announcer "In light of increasing tensions with the German Empire, the French foreign ministry has issued a declaration of war, handed down personally by the president himself, the stated casus belli being the alleged German repression of the French population in the disputed region of Alsace-Lorraine."

Suddenly, a flushed and winded Smith burst down the Oval Office door:

"Sir!" he said breathlessly "The-"

"I know already, Smith," interrupted MacArthur "Sit down."

"What is to be our course of action, sir?"

"Nothing: The Germans can take care of the French themselves. Although the Union of Britain's navy may pose a problem for them. And that's where we come in."

"But what if the Germans lose?"

"In the unlikely event where this happens, our timetable for intervention in the war is moved up several months to a year: We cannot allow the German Empire to fall. Apart from Austria, we'd be without a major ally in Europe."

The developments in Europe is more than worrying...

November 1939-March 1940

"Seriously?!" said MacArthur incredulously "You expect me to believe that the forces of red France were this ill-prepared and incompetent?"

"Our sources are all reporting the same thing: The Communal Army collapsing and surrendering in droves," reported Smith "It was almost like some unseen, supernatural force crippled their army and navy."

Mac_Arthur_45.png

Mac_Arthur_46.png

"In addition," resumed Smith "The Germans have partitioned the French mainland, releasing Normandy and Brittany as grand duchies, as well as imposing a member of the royal family as king of France in order to secure their hold on the country."

"Interesting..." replied MacArthur curiously "Begin setting up our embassies in all three and tell the State Department to extend our recognition."

"What about Spain?"

"The government in exile and the Carlists have put a truce in place and began raids against the red government. Exactly as you commanded, sir, we've begun funneling arms and supplies to the Iberian resistance."

"Excellent. Without their French patrons, it shouldn't be long before they fall to the German war machine."

Mac_Arthur_47.png

Mac_Arthur_48.png

"Smith!" said MacArthur "What about the governments the Germans are releasing?"

"About that," replied Smith "It's kind of interesting."

Mac_Arthur_49.png

"Apparently," the adjutant continued "The Germans thought that the Carlists would be easier to control and less likely to drift towards the Entente. There was some grumbling from the Alfonsists but the German military presence prevented too much trouble from breaking out."

Mac_Arthur_50.png

"However," continued Smith "Portugal was apparently kind of a wild card as far as they were concerned: They decided to put a member of the Hohenzollern family on the throne."

"Excellent!" replied MacArthur, sounding truly excited for the first time since Paris fell "The reds are finally on the defensive and its finally time for us to do our part against the red menace: Operation Cortez is a go."

Last edited:
Operation Cortez, eh? Bye, bye Mexico.:)

I love the ironic name.

Also, I am surprised France didn't sic that huge Communist Russia on Wilhelm. Really.

April 1940

Dry and warm even this early in the year, Arizona was a nice change for Brigadier General John Smith from his native Minnesota. But this was a time for business, not enjoying the sun and paying careful attention to his field telephone was a must:

Mac_Arthur_51.png

"Smith." came the voice of General MacArthur "How have the initial skirmishes gone so far?

"Excellently sir," replied Smith "However we do forecast some upcoming problems as central Mexico has a lot of mountainous terrain."

"It doesn't matter, just keep pushing forward. You'll be getting most of the air support required to drive them out of the mountains.The Navy's also providing support in the gulf: Good luck."

"Thank you sir, but I don't think that we'll need it."

Mac_Arthur_52.png

July 1940

Mac_Arthur_53.png

Although pleased with his State Department's recent diplomatic efforts, General Douglas MacArthur was somewhat surprised by the letter from the German Kaiser himself, Wilhelm II.
As of July 10th, 1940, the United States of America was officially a member state of Mittleuropa and more or less at war with the Union of Britain and the remaining states of the Internationale.
Naturally, the British-in-exile were not happy when this news became public, but the general could sleep easier knowing that the red Internationale would soon meet the fully fury of two of the mightiest nations on the face of the earth.

But this move on the part of the Germans should not have shocked anyone:

Mac_Arthur_54.png

With another new syndicalist power to their north, the danger was very real that Stockholm would join the Internationale and give the UoB the run of the Baltic.
However, out of Mexico, there was more good news:

"Sir,"
came the voice of his adjutant, Brigadier General Smith "Mexico City has fallen recently and we're succeeding in pushing the reds into the southern jungles! The air support from our new allies isn't hurting us either. We're confident that Acapulco de Juarez will fall in a matter of days."

"Perfect," replied MacArthur

Mac_Arthur_55.png

Mac_Arthur_56.png

Good work in Mexico.:)

September 1940-March 1941

Triumphantly returning from Washington after the Operation Cortez, Brigadier General Smith recognized still that the greatest task of all remained: Eliminating the brain of the world syndicalist movement in the Union of Britain:

"Sir!" began Smith "We've succeeded in stomping out the remaining red resistance and installing a friendly government!"

Mac_Arthur_57.png

"Perfect," replied MacArthur "Now that only leaves Centroamerica to deal with, but we've got bigger problems than them right now: Send some fleets and strategic bomber wings to France: The only way we're going to be able to invade the British Isles is with a massive bombardment campaign and naval supremacy in the channel."

Mac_Arthur_58.png

Mac_Arthur_59.png

"The bombardments have been paying off sir!" reported Smith excitedly "The Germans have made a beachhead at Norwich!"

Mac_Arthur_61.png

"Even so, we've got no time to waste," reminded MacArthur seriously "Send all of our troops in Europe to reinforce them. And prepare a plane for me: I'm going to command one of the units myself."

"Sir, why?! Do you have any idea how dangerous that would be if the reds figure out that you're one of the field commanders?!"

"To liberate Scotland from the red yoke, why else?"

Douglas MacArthur freeing his ancestral homeland from the Red Menace?

Awesome.

March-July 1941

Reviewing his maps and telegrams from the study of a semi-ruined Norwich manor, General MacArthur had pondered long and hard where exactly to press the attack: The German-American beachhead was not terribly wide, and any mistake could be disastrous. Reaching for the ringing telephone, MacArthur was half-expecting good news and half-expecting news of an impending disaster:

"What is it, Smith?" inquired the general, his confident tone somehow not betrayed by his nervousness

"Sir!"
began Brigadier General Smith "We've broken out of the Oxford pocket! The British defenses in the south are crumbling!"

"Perfect!" replied the general "All that leaves are their lines in the north! I'll be right there!"

Mac_Arthur_62.png

Mac_Arthur_63.png

Mac_Arthur_64.png

July-December 1941

The initially planned route for the flight back to DC consisted of layovers in Iceland and Canada before the British-in-exile revoked American transit rights. The alternate route of London to the Azores, and finally on a carrier in the Caribbean was looking to take significantly longer:

"As expected," reported Smith "Our forces and the Imperial German Army have finally finished off the remaining red holdouts on the British Isles."

Mac_Arthur_65.png

"Great," answered MacArthur hungrily "All that leaves is red Italy. Oh by the way, get on the phone with the State Department: Tell them to extend our congratulations to the new governments of England, Scotland, and Wales."

Mac_Arthur_66.png

"Sir," said Smith "Is it just me, or does something seem kind of...off that this Churchill character accepted the position of PM under a German king?"

"No, Smith," replied MacArthur agreeably "It's not just you. I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems weird to me. But enough about that: Has the Sicilian beachhead widened any?"

"Now that you mention it, according to the latest reports, yes it has, sir."

Mac_Arthur_67.png

"A good part of their army was destroyed by the Germans in France and Spain," resumed Smith "So we don't expect them to last a terribly long time."

"But remember," cautioned MacArthur "It's their home and they know the terrain really well, so they're at an inherent advantage."

"Speaking of inherent advantages, it seems that a few German units jumped the gun and got significantly ahead of our lines."

Mac_Arthur_68.png

"Damn, we can't lose this opportunity," the general replied "Race our motorized and mechanized units in the area to back them up."