• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Quantity vs Quality

• Quantity

Votes: 19 12,8%
  • Quality

Votes: 130 87,2%

• Total voters
Indeed, what would be the POINT of choosing quality if the morale boost isn't there. That's sort of what quality HAS to refer to, in EU terms.

If you're playing a cannon fodder type nation, maybe you can get away with going quantity. But for most nations most of us play--that is, minors, smaller majors, etc, that will not be the case.

Well, I disagree Shawng1, as my vote showed. :) There is more than one way to skin a cat. And you can screw up just as bad with Quality as you can with quantity.

But I am with BiB and Maur13: If you want to give me more stuff to go with my already preferred settings, more power to you!. :D

Aloha
Vormaerin

Actually, people will still choose quality, because they are brain-washed to choose it:D

It's obvious. Just look at the result of the poll, and who voted for quantity (me and BiB. Isn't it enough for ya?:D)

EDIT/ Hmmm, tribute to Vormaerin:cool:

Chuwawa,

The combat system is morale based. Noone here can argue against that. A +1 fire bonus is nothing beside the morale boost.

As for Maur and BiB taking the same side. Well, delusion can be found in odd places. :p I think the AARs of those of us who have played high quality bear out its superiority quite well--especially as a minor.

Originally posted by shawng1
Chuwawa,

The combat system is morale based. Noone here can argue against that. A +1 fire bonus is nothing beside the morale boost.

As for Maur and BiB taking the same side. Well, delusion can be found in odd places. :p I think the AARs of those of us who have played high quality bear out its superiority quite well--especially as a minor.

Well, I can post AARs where I rule with quantity, including MP games, so what ? ;)

In fairness to Chuwawa, the fire bonus for high quality is useful, but only inthe later stages of the game. The bonus to fire has NO effect until you get muskets. Thereafter, it becomes more and more useful, especially once you get artillery to a certain tech level (I say past 40), then it really punishes the enemy in engagements. Remeber, morale becomes less important as time goes on than does sheer firepower.

Interestingly, has anyone tried this approach? High offensive, high quantity in the early game (since you need the sheer numbers of cavalry and the shock from offensive) to high defensive and high quality in the late game (to get the high siege bonus and high firepower for your artillery)?

Originally posted by Secret Master

Interestingly, has anyone tried this approach? High offensive, high quantity in the early game (since you need the sheer numbers of cavalry and the shock from offensive) to high defensive and high quality in the late game (to get the high siege bonus and high firepower for your artillery)?

I definitely go from quantity to quality as the game progresses. I find that I need more men when the empire is still small. As the empire increases in size, my ability to support larger armies increases faster than my need for them. Therefore, as time goes on, I move towards ever higher quality.

I'm still playing around with some of the other DP and haven't completely decided on what makes the most sense. Partly, it is a question of balancing out the strengths to make up for my weakness (e.g., free trade versus mercantalism. Although, I think that I've decided that depends upon whether I'm playing a colonial nation (in which case I should go free trade) or a non-colonial nation in which case I'll go mercantalist) which ironically is the opposite of what my policies in the real world would have been). Partly is a question of finding out where I need to be in order to get any of its benefits (e.g., I have to be one click on the narrow minded side to get any missionaries, and I need missionaries in order to maintain a tollerable stability level.)

Alexandre

Secret,

That's almost exactly how I played Brandenburg. I was high quality/high offensive early. Then once I got past land tech 30, I started nudging back towards defensive. I finished max quality/4 defensive. Which I think is the perfect late game equation. You still take no morale hit to your troops, but you do get low priced artillery and a slight seige bonus. Plus you get all the high quality bonuses. Perfect combination.