• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Quantity vs Quality

• Quantity

Votes: 19 12,8%
  • Quality

Votes: 130 87,2%

• Total voters
Quantity to Quality

Using the knights I needed as many soldiers as I could get so, I used quantity and its not that bad actually, especially with the knights leaders as is... damn.. that makes up for it... but I suppose in the 3rd patch there is more to come...

If you have a lot of good leaders then quantity is a good thing because you don't need to worry about default leaders. Lots of good leaders and lots of troops sounds like an unbeatable combination. But as yet I have not played a country where I've felt that I have a continuous string of good leaders. In the countries I have played they arrive in bunches if at all.:(

This is the VERY first slider I modify in my games. In the first 200 years, the morale to be gained from this is quite nice, especially once I get my other settings where I want them (max offensive, max serf, max aristocracy). I use the uber-morale from quality to help offset the morale loss from enserfing my people. The reduced cost for infantry from max serf, combined with high quality, makes assaults at on fortresses useful, until the 1700s.

After 1700, the fire bonus for generic leaders from max quality makes that 200 pieces of artillery in your army so much more effective.

Originally posted by Sonny
If you have a lot of good leaders then quantity is a good thing because you don't need to worry about default leaders.

Good point, I could probably live with the morale loss if it weren't for the 1 or 0 default values. I've played a lot of minors with almost zero, or in some cases just plain zero, leaders, and the 2-4-4 defaults makes a huge difference there.

This slider is hardly balanced as it is now, so I'll go for Quality without a doubt.

The manpower penalty is hardly a penalty and for that you get extra firepower and morale. Quality troops excel a assaults.

We really need this slider to be more balanced;)

Qua.... euh what i'm saying!!

For my part i prefer quality when my country is big enough to substain a -50% man power, but if my country do not produce enough man power i'm going to the mob strategy, maybe i have a lot of dead people, but who care because my lost is due much more because of attrition than dead soldier. Another factor why i^prefer quality, it's beacause when you initiate a siege far from your home country you have a lot of attrition, so at the end you send the same number of troop, but with quality your troop are better trained.

So that why i prefer quality and for other who say the opposite i will respond "you have no heart to send poor untrained soldier to war"!!

I think that quantity (slider setting 3) and low serfdom (as low as you can manage) is a rather nice mix! However the low serfdom can be a real pain in the rear at times so I have to balance it with decentralization. I haven’t played A LOT, but it’s my preferred approach when playing smaller countries and it have worked out well so far…

If you're a minor going quantity makes even LESS sense. You'll never match the really big boys in manpower, and if you have to fight with low-morale troops besides, you aren't going to be able to stand up to much. Playing high quality as Brandenburg was the only way. And playing it as Nippon has been beneficial as well. I'll never go through tech as fast as China, and I'll never match her manpower. My only hope is superior morale.

So far, its worked OK.

Originally posted by Mariani
this poll, predictably, is a slaughter. :)

Thats because quality has the better morale and always wins over quantity - just like in the game!:D

Except the fact that majority is wrong on this poll:p

But good enough for me. If they want to imporve quantity even more, why should i object?:D

Originally posted by shawng1
If you're a minor going quantity makes even LESS sense. You'll never match the really big boys in manpower, and if you have to fight with low-morale troops besides, you aren't going to be able to stand up to much. Playing high quality as Brandenburg was the only way. And playing it as Nippon has been beneficial as well. I'll never go through tech as fast as China, and I'll never match her manpower. My only hope is superior morale.

So far, its worked OK.

I disagree. As a minor, you aren't going to be taking on a major. You are going to be taking on other minors. Being able to retain a sufficiently large army to defeat them is vital. Thus, I retain my default quantity settings. However, I focus on conquering grain provinces so that I can increase my manpower. Once my mapower exceeds my standing army level by 10-15%, I start tweaking towards quality. Over the course of a century, even if I'm advancing slowly, I should have grown large enough to have switched to complete quality without having any problems maintaining my army at its ideal size. Thereafter, I retain my top-level quality and enjoy all of the benefits of the constant increases in my manpower.

Alexandre

Originally posted by Idiotboy
Just hope they don´t unbalance the slider in their attempt to improve it.

Fat chance, they can improve it loads but still people would vote for the same things they are now, quality will always be more morale and such.

Originally posted by BiB

Fat chance, they can improve it loads but still people would vote for the same things they are now, quality will always be more morale and such.

But if quality doesn't give you as much morale boost etc. then some more folks may swing over to the quantity side to make up in manpower what they are not getting enough of in quality.

Originally posted by Sonny

But if quality doesn't give you as much morale boost etc. then some more folks may swing over to the quantity side to make up in manpower what they are not getting enough of in quality.

The odds on the morale thingy changing are extremely low though ;)