• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Free Subjects vs Serfdom

• Free Subjects

Votes: 103 62,8%
  • Serfdom

Votes: 61 37,2%

• Total voters
Freedom!

Free Subjects all the way, with my own personal strategy of massive technological superiority coupled with invincible morale. When I see my army of 5000 men defeat an army 7x it's size I just laugh. Free subjects increases more than just morale, it boosts production! Money!! Moneymoneymoney! IMHO the game is ALL about money. Technology, Military, Diplomacy, all depends on cash. Numerical superiority isn't as important as technology and morale. And stability I've never found much of a problem, since I find that even with -3 stability none of my provinces ever revolt, and the AI never has stability revolts either, since it magically has -4 religion for ALL religions :p

I'd have to go with on the free subjects side. Infantry is cheap anyways, and if you're tilted towards land, that cancels out the extra cost. The extra morale is fantastic, and I find I never use the available manpower anyways - I love beating up on bigger armies with my elite troops...

I do like having a low stability cost, though, so I if go towards free, I bump up narrowmindness - need that stability for a
warmongering empire with lots of religions. :D

2 Cdn cents, Teije

usually leave it alone, prefer it at slightly free, but not all the way. other things, both serfdom and free subjects have some nice bonuses, so i change other stuff like centralization and land (for land powers) where one side is way better than the other.

For myself I prefer freedom :D (But that is not the question)

In the settings of the game I rarely touch that buttom, because there is mostly a huge demand in my empire for cheap stability. That is the reason why I am not willing to give my subjects more freedom than necessary.

The negative aspects of productivity do I retouch by simply having a large empire and the enormous merchant staff on the CoTs.