• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kazmir

Keeping the ship on course
56 Badges
Aug 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
And I'm probably going to get it, but a few questions that I'm interested of:

- Is the game still in too early phase to give us some info regarding the interface?
- Is there something similar to flight sims where you can cruise around the world from wherever you wish to wherever you wish?
- How does the multiplayer work? I'm just asking because I can't really think of anything plausible, some missions where more than one ship is required?

Looking forward for this one.

And I hope the game involves impressive ways to sink your vessel. :D

Last edited:
Hi Kazmir,

Let me take the liberty to answer some of your questions:

- Is the game still in too early phase to give us some info regarding the interface?

Players can choose different viewpoints, the most realistic and hardcore of course being the one on the bridge where you will see what the captain will see. If you prefer you can also choose fixed and freecam viewpoints from behind any vessel. This gives you a better overview of your surroundings. Interface will be userfriendly and based on the real thing. We will reveal screenshots in the near future with the interface, so it will become clearer.

- Is there something similar to flight sims where you can cruise around the world from wherever you wish to wherever you wish?
From wherever to wherever would be a bit too much for the game, but it does feature a lot of different and huge environments and realistic ports all over the globe.

- How does the multiplayer work? I'm just asking because I can't really think of anything plausible, some missions where more than one ship is required?
There are plenty of examples of missions where ships have to work together. e.g. Tugging a ship (with 2 tugboats) in distress into port, extinguishing an oil rig fire, racing each other with the powerboats, etc.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Kind regards,
Frank Dolmans
VSTEP (Ship Simulator Extremes Developer)

After reading the dev diary the attached pictures seemed quite familiar. They looked a lot like the simulator the prime minister of the Netherlands used to open Europort 2009 (and proceeded to ram through another vessel :p). It turns out that the simulator he used, Ship Simulator Professional, was also developed by VSTEP. On what fronts will the professional version differ from the extreme version?

Obviously the controls will differ since it's hard to ship a mock bridge with a version of the game. However will it be comparable graphic wise? Is extreme a dumbed down version of professional, or is it in essence the same simulator, but adapted for home use?

After reading the dev diary the attached pictures seemed quite familiar. They looked a lot like the simulator the prime minister of the Netherlands used to open Europort 2009 (and proceeded to ram through another vessel :p). It turns out that the simulator he used, Ship Simulator Professional, was also developed by VSTEP. On what fronts will the professional version differ from the extreme version?

Obviously the controls will differ since it's hard to ship a mock bridge with a version of the game. However will it be comparable graphic wise? Is extreme a dumbed down version of professional, or is it in essence the same simulator, but adapted for home use?

PM Balkenende indeed used Ship Simulator Professional (which is now called NAUTIS) during the Europort 2009 opening.

I have to contradict your statement that it looks much the same like the new Extremes. It doesn't. While visually ok for a professional sim (compared to the competition), it cannot be compared to the Ship Sim Extremes game.

Comparing Ship Simulator Professional (which went live in 2008), with the modern Ship Simulator Extremes is like comparing a banana with a whale (I.E. they cannot be compared). They are completely different products. NAUTIS purpose is to be integrated in full mission bridge or other maritime simulators and/or to be used for specific and exact training purposes tailored to the professional customer, and with scenario's that can be used and created by instructors. NAUTIS uses an update of the Ship Simulator 2008 engine for its visualisation, and is still one of the best looking professional maritime simulators available.

Creating a game is a different thing and requires a completely different approach. That is why we have different teams on the entertainment and professional simulations. It's a different ballpark. Not only visually, but content-wise as well.

Ship Simulator Extremes is a game, features fun and exciting simulation gameplay and campaigns/missions, all tailored to what a simgamer wants (so no - professional users will kill me for saying this - "boring" training exercises). It uses a completely new graphics renderer, new ocean renderer & sky/weather system as well as a new interface and features. Just take a look at the Extremes visuals on the www.shipsim.com website for a look at the new graphics of Extremes and then take a look at the screens of SS2008 on the site, and you will notice the difference.

Hope this answers your question.

Frank

Last edited:
Creating a game is a different thing and requires a completely different approach. That is why we have different teams on the entertainment and professional simulations. It's a different ballpark. Not only visually, but content-wise as well.
Good to hear this. I am glad it's not just a port, but a completely seperate project. This answers most of my questions and takes away some reservations and worries I had about the game.

About the two looking similar: it was quite some time since I last saw footage of NAUTIS and while I did notice that Ship Simulator extreme looked more polished (especially the water) for me the connection between the two was immediately apparent. Hence why I said they looked a lot alike. However having looked at ship simulator 2008 and extremes, I have to agree that extremes indeed looks a lot better. Not only the environment, but the ships are a lot more detailed too. I am now really looking forward to the first ingame video. On that note, when can we expect the first trailer? :)

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to answer my questions. As said, I'll be looking forward for the game's release and more information in the future.

Another question I forgot to ask earlier: How many scenarios are there in the game? Are we talking of a handful, dozens or closer to hundred perhaps? And can we expect new ones to be added either as free addons or through updates?

I'm also interest if it possible to make custom scenarios one way or another.

Another question I forgot to ask earlier: How many scenarios are there in the game? Are we talking of a handful, dozens or closer to hundred perhaps? And can we expect new ones to be added either as free addons or through updates?

There will be different storyline campaigns in the game, as well as single missions. Plenty of missions. After release you can expect even more new missions to be added as DLC.

There will be different storyline campaigns in the game, as well as single missions. Plenty of missions. After release you can expect even more new missions to be added as DLC.

Sounds good, thank you.

Keeping my eye on this.:cool:

...I'm also interest if it possible to make custom scenarios one way or another
He didnt answer this.

ninja_icon.png

I bought SS2006, tried SS2008 and liked them very much. When I heard that a new one was coming I thought about the things I was missing the most and were basically some freight company management and more (but, I mean, like tonnes of them) ports.
I cannot say that I am disappointed with the features of the announcement as I understand none of these 2 points is going to be implemnted/improved. I'll try the demo, and given that I am not now a miserable freelance like in 2008 :)oo:D) I'd even consider buying it if captures the feeling so well (approaching Hamburg or Leaving Europort in the game were really exciting) but, and here's the onion,
* will more ports be added in the future (like the new ships you have on the "shipyard" web)? (Cadiz is the port I miss the most, zekerweten, being me from the place :p)
* or some kind of global navigation simulation be implemented (ie. some of you guys may remember High Seas trader where when in storm or swallow waters or ship encounters you had deal with the situation in person instead of moving in a map)?
Of course a freight company simulation would be just perfect :D (Ports of call, anyone?)
Finally a comment about that greenpeace thing. It is weird. Personally I find it totally useless missions to sail saving whales or bananas.

Last edited: