• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
you are doing well ... its just the yellow blob is rather ... well very large

I'm actually trying to develop a set of strategies how to conquer the blob and I'm not as worried anymore as I was before. The lack of Armenia is actually bigger trouble than anything else as cutting it to 2 pieces (controlling Antioch and preventing their operations in Asia minor) is now pretty much impossible.

My friend once conquered his way to Persia with Sparta in Magna Terra mod and I intend to do the same but without getting help from other human players attacking the blob.

Luckily Seleucids are Greek as well so alliance with them is not totally impossible to happen and staying out of their way can be to key to long life. Attacking Egypt instead of Seleucids could prove almost equal trouble but it might be interesting.. :ninja:

And btw, I just mailed the savegame to you, Sarys. Forgot to do it when I posted the update.

EDIT:

I had to check the blob and my chances of successful conquest.. Now I'm a lot less confident than a while ago.
They have 113 units, one 35 unit stack, two 24 unit stacks and some smaller. Their land tech is 4, our is 2 so they have quite major discipline and morale bonuses against us.
Only weakness is their navy of 18 ships which has an admiral with 2 martial. However it can't be trusted that they wouldn't change the admiral so Sparta won't beat them even in Naval superiority.
Seleucids have core in Pergamon so they have a permanent Casus Belli against Pontus and I'd strongly advice to disagree the call to arms in case they decide to attack Pontus, even if this will cause the yellow to spread all around the black sea as they will attack the provinces in Rhoxolani as well.. '

Any good ideas? Other than waiting for them getting into civil war and Egypt attacking them..

I love this game :D

Last edited:
I'm actually trying to develop a set of strategies how to conquer the blob and I'm not as worried anymore as I was before. The lack of Armenia is actually bigger trouble than anything else as cutting it to 2 pieces (controlling Antioch and preventing their operations in Asia minor) is now pretty much impossible.

My friend once conquered his way to Persia with Sparta in Magna Terra mod and I intend to do the same but without getting help from other human players attacking the blob.

Luckily Seleucids are Greek as well so alliance with them is not totally impossible to happen and staying out of their way can be to key to long life. Attacking Egypt instead of Seleucids could prove almost equal trouble but it might be interesting.. :ninja:

And btw, I just mailed the savegame to you, Sarys. Forgot to do it when I posted the update.

EDIT:

I had to check the blob and my chances of successful conquest.. Now I'm a lot less confident than a while ago.
They have 113 units, one 35 unit stack, two 24 unit stacks and some smaller. Their land tech is 4, our is 2 so they have quite major discipline and morale bonuses against us.
Only weakness is their navy of 18 ships which has an admiral with 2 martial. However it can't be trusted that they wouldn't change the admiral so Sparta won't beat them even in Naval superiority.
Seleucids have core in Pergamon so they have a permanent Casus Belli against Pontus and I'd strongly advice to disagree the call to arms in case they decide to attack Pontus, even if this will cause the yellow to spread all around the black sea as they will attack the provinces in Rhoxolani as well.. '

Any good ideas? Other than waiting for them getting into civil war and Egypt attacking them..

I love this game :D

I have no idea to how to spend my 10 years....

I have no idea to how to spend my 10 years....

Build stockades and kill barbarians? At least the game doesn't run out of them :D

Build stockades and kill barbarians? At least the game doesn't run out of them :D

Okay I'm not sure tho when I will do the next update since at the moment I'm at work and after work I don't feel like doing update. So I guess next weekend is friend for Sparta fans.

I'm afraid that my job with this AAR is done. I might not do anymore updates to this because of I don't have motivation and it's more work thank fun. If I don't give new update before monday evening I have stoped this AAR and leave it to Wave.

I'm afraid that my job with this AAR is done. I might not do anymore updates to this because of I don't have motivation and it's more work thank fun. If I don't give new update before monday evening I have stoped this AAR and leave it to Wave.

Sad to see you quit, I know that sometimes AARs became a burden, especially if you are writing a big narrative project.

I can continue alone or if someone else is interested in joining the campaign just send me a PM.

Sad to see you quit, I know that sometimes AARs became a burden, especially if you are writing a big narrative project.

I can continue alone or if someone else is interested in joining the campaign just send me a PM.

Yeah I'm really sorry to quit like this but I lose my interest easily I'm afraid. It's like when I did let's plays to youtube I played something for a while the I stared new one played it for a while and started new one. But I might come back at one point maybe not sure yet. The fact that I have long working days doesn't help this thing tho.

EDIT: with some time to think I desided to do at least one more update and see will I continue after that. So Wawe are you doing update at the moment? If not leave it to me.

EDIT2: Okay 5 years played 5 more to go.

Last edited:
**** the Seleucids, I won't be satisfied with anything less than the conquest of all the known world! SPARTA!

I would offer my assistance but I currently have no less than 4 AARs and 3 LPs on my plate. I can't really take another project on.

**** the Seleucids, I won't be satisfied with anything less than the conquest of all the known world! SPARTA!

I would offer my assistance but I currently have no less than 4 AARs and 3 LPs on my plate. I can't really take another project on.

That's pretty hardcore AARing, I have my hands full with two AARs despite not doing anything related to them.. :rofl: To be honest I'm not satisfied myself either before I know I can crush anyone or anything. I just realized too late that I'm playing vanilla as vanilla as it gets so I don't have infinite time which gives me a reason to hurry up..

As it seems that Sarys has left the AAR I'll continue with my savegame from the last update. Keep your eyes open in case I manage to do something during the next a couple of days, after that update I'll be bringing some life back to the Letters from wAAR.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!​
10 YEARS OF PEACE​
510-520 AVC​

I started my turn by checking revolt risk and Wawe was right I was kind of high.

And because of the hig revolt risk there was few revolts (one).

And because I was worried about the yellow blob I checked our relations and found out they see us as rivals.

After three years barbarians finaly found lant to call theirs...(never seen this happen before)

Well even though I didn't go to war I still managed to gain land :D

I know this is kind of boring update but that's because nothing interesting ever happened.

(World in 520AVC)

Sorry about my recent silence, I found myself having a real life and a lot of things to do so I haven't had time to even open the game.

I'll do my best to get back into the business and update my both ongoing AARs but I can't promise any dates.

Sarys: in case you want, you can play and write the next update as well. Just tell me so I know to not start playing the next

THIS IS SPARTA!!!
515-520 AVC
Pontic wars

Back in the ring to take another swing! This time a rather screenshot heavy update. Wasn't the maximum 20 screenies per post? I'm still in safe waters I hope.

Sarys had forgot to save the game when he quit (520 AVC) so I played forwards from 515 AVC and decided to put the extra 5 years into use and post them here as an individual update.

The barbarian-nation bug had appeared on Sarys' turn and barbies got their own country in Pantipaceum. Unfortunately much diplomacy can't be done with them or the game crashes which may not be a good thing while writing an AAR...

RomeGame2012-08-1217-39-03-55.jpg

I've had hard time deciding who will be the next one to fall under the boots of Spartan army, checking the diplomacy and finding out that Seleucids may actually ally me convienced me to switch my target to Pontus. I did not send alliance proposal to Sels because they too often find work for a couple of extra swords and right now I have not enough resources for that.

RomeGame2012-09-0212-26-54-29.jpg

The next one will sound rather narrative but I don't want to let you hear how gamey tactics I use...

Pontus' basileus was very much like our former basileus, liked spreading his genes around to create a better world. However Spartan court didn't like one of his bastard sons and sent an envoy to Pontus to deal with the matter. Not long after that the bastard was found dead and the Spartan envoy imprisoned.

RomeGame2012-09-0212-31-34-77.jpg

Despite the great efforts by the Spartan court to clear the dispute by negotiating, the court of Pontus did not relent and Sparta was forced to take actions to get their envoy back.

diplomacy.jpg

When the court of Pontus still didn't allow the envoy to leave, Spartans sailed their warships to the coast of Amisus and threatened Pontus with a full-scale war and sent Therapon Apollonid to their court. Two days later the court of Pontus executed the envoy Therapon

diplomacy2.jpg

That was too much for the basileus of Sparta and the Spartan armies landed on the coasts of Pontus and engaged their army in a huge battle.

THIS IS SPARTAAAAH!!½!1!!

The court of Pontus reacted to the declaration of war by briefly cutting off any trade between them and me.

RomeGame2012-09-0212-37-38-10.jpg

The first battle was won and the Pontic army hunted down while it fled towards Pergamon. Later it was totally destroyed when I trapped it between two Spartan armies.

Battles1.jpg

My navy was caught off guard by the Pontic fleet which easily chewed off a big part of my already attrition-eaten fleet. Due to this defeat my fleet was forced to retreat into the port of Thracia for the rest of the war despite immediately started building projects for new ships.

RomeGame2012-09-0212-39-48-95.jpg

Rather interesting things have happened in North Africa:
Numidia has been split into Numidia and Numidian League which both have been in civil war (even simultaneously so there was 2 Numidian Rebels) continuously. Carthage is collapsing and Egypt has conquered parts of Numidia and Carthage. During my wars against Pontus Egypt once again launched an attack against Numidia. Carthage and Rome are not allied anymore but Carthage is Egyptian tributary.

RomeGame2012-09-0212-41-09-05.jpg

When wars go on well some people tend to have some overgrowth in their egos and our basileus must be one of them. He dumped his wife (who was originally from Epirot court) and not a long time after that had troubles with his sister. His older daughter also died at the age of 7 due to bad health.

ruler.jpg

In December 518 AVC the siege of Pergamon was won and Pontus was totally occupied. Time to do some business.
I didn't want to take Pergamon because Seleucids have core on it but because I couldn't find any other good solution I decided to take it and hope that the yellow blob still is friendly with me and doesn't mind if I own one of their cores.

RomeGame2012-09-0213-13-22-08.jpg

The blob was still eager to ally me! Awesome. Now the only problem is ending the alliance because I may not want to stay with them forever or vice versa and when the alliance is ended the relations will take -100 hit which will make me look like a breakfast in their eyes... Anyway, currently there is now only a handful of Greek nations and one Greek superpower alliance. I hope I can manage to cut down Egypt with Seleucids so I can then focus on taking Sels themselves down when there are no other big threats nearby.

RomeGame2012-09-0213-13-35-37.jpg

As expected the Seleucids didn't look forward to let me sit down and rest, instead they declared a war against the huge Egypt and called me to help...

RomeGame2012-09-0213-26-43-28.jpg

Bring it on!
The 10 years start now and I'm not going to be losing any provinces during the next update, it's just a whole other story how coslty it will come to make that happen. The only bad thing is that Seleucids are the alliance leader and with the AI of this game they will offer or accept white peace when I have conquered half of the Pharaos so for now I'm probably focusing on defending my allies and seeing how they manage to do to know what to do in the next wars.

The European map 520 AVC:
rome_map_3.jpg

Last edited:
Is this AAR dead?!

To be honest it kinda was, I've been without a proper phone and totally without internet connection for a couple of weeks so I couldn't check the forums at all. I have the next update almost ready as I played it ages ago but haven't been able to post it

Ps. Let's make the moderator team and many writers and readers happy by voting in the ACAs once again!

AH UUuuuuu Ah UUuuuuu