• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Corrected - thanks! :)

I also wonder in which "category" my characters were nominated:

We have alot of talented writers on this forum. Be it from CK to HOI2 we have numerous tales, numerous plot twists, and a vast assortment of writing styles. Yet in all this what I think makes a good story is the characters in it. Are they the strong amazing heroes who we all look up to? Or the everyman who through it all seems to win? Or are they wicked vile people who you hate, yet cannot help but admire?
Saint Markos Isapostolos is obviously in the third first one but I'm curious whom AlexandrePrimus had in mind specifically ;)

Hey! Congratulations CzokletMuss!

And sorry, but the high american civilization have their own units. The other day I was editing some files and, in fact, they have their modern units. I'll quote some:
# Aztec Gunpowder Warfare

unit_type = high_american
type = infantry

maneuver = 1
offensive_morale = 3
defensive_morale = 4
offensive_fire = 1
defensive_fire = 2
offensive_shock = 0
defensive_shock = 2
# South American Gunpowder Warfare

unit_type = high_american
type = infantry

maneuver = 1
offensive_morale = 2
defensive_morale = 5
offensive_fire = 1
defensive_fire = 2
offensive_shock = 0
defensive_shock = 2

Et cetera, et cetera. Anyway, there are not many high american units, but they exist and are in the same folder that a converted ck2 game (with Sunset Invasion, of course).

And... congratulations again! Wooooo!

Thank you! :)

Huh, okay. But are they just as good as Western units? I guess recent changes in WoN may have messed this up a little considering overall lower number of pips and no updates to converter. Anyways, thanks for checking this.

I prefer to stay faithul rather to the lore than (rather poor) implementation of it, especially considering how broken the converter is. What do I mean by that?
1. I'll give High American pips from Western units (they are the most advanced tech group on the planet after all)
2. I'll probably give them higher starting tech level (in vanilla Western and Eastern start with 3, High American should have 4-5 IMHO)

There will be more changes/fixes but don't worry, I'll describe them all in EU4 thread :)
That's a lot, considering you'll be fighting them in the beginning of the game. It all depends on ones personal perspective on the lore on how technologically advanced the Americans are, because even if the events state some things, such as 'Thundersticks' (which existed in Europe too by the 14th century, maybe not in the Basileia Romaion, if you talk about simple handcannons), not to mention their ocean-going ships, they might just be at the level of any European, and their victories have been earned not through technology, but rather good leadership, numbers and bloodthirst.
Maybe conquest of Europe and combat with the good Roman Chiliarchiai have taught them to improve rapidly, maybe even trigger some sort of Renaissance?

Converter handles it rather badly - in predefined cities Universities just magically appear, no matter what happened in CK2. Which means that both Imperium and Aztecs start with 5-7 Universities (I checked it testing exported game few decades ago). Being obviously broken, this has to be manually edited by me because gettin -40% tech discount only because in our timeline in 15th century Renaissance began in Italy is ridiculous.

Anyways, with "Res Publica" and 1.7 announced there will be a lot of changes in EU4 (for instance no MP malus for Chinese culture); considering that I want to play with RP and in 1.7 and that I will have to wait for dorimi to update his Purple Phoenix Arise Byzantine mod I think that the next part of AAR will start in the second half of July. So I have a lot of time to think about all these issues and balance it all somehow,

I'm a fairly new reader, so I haven't read all the comments (there are a lot of chapters, I just rushed to each one because of how amazing the story is :)).
Can you explain again what's this interactivity thing? Roughly how will it work?

I'm a fairly new reader, so I haven't read all the comments (there are a lot of chapters, I just rushed to each one because of how amazing the story is :)).
Can you explain again what's this interactivity thing? Roughly how will it work?
Welcome; I hope you enjoy it! :)

The interactivity is just an idea concerning incoming EU4 part of the story which will use faction mechanic avabile for Roman Empire thanks to Purple Phoenix Arises mod by dorimi. However, according to AAR rules:
Rules on Interactive AARs said:
If your AAR is fully interactive, you will not be given permission unless you have an existing track record of successfully running and completing conventional AARs on this forum. 'Fully Interactive' is anything that is not covered in the rule above but includes commentators role playing characters, commentators advising the player (in character) or an AAR where the voting is carried out on a regular basis. If you start one of these, without permission, then it will be locked and you will not receive permission to carry on or start a new one. So if you have any doubts, ask.
So right now there's no point really in discussing it since I have to first complete this AAR (CK2 part of the story) and then ask moderators for permission; if you are interested, there was a short discussion about it few pages ago though. Even then I can change my mind about that but, assuming I get the permission and you people are interested in counseling Basileus as the Imperial Senate, the EU4 part of the story may be fully interactive (no promises).

As much as I'm encouraged by these talks of conversion and mods I'm surprised that you haven't thought of using Del gratia that very good religion mod. I would suggest to look into it due to it's more realistic conversion periods and piety system.

First off, a big thank you for writing this, certainly one of the best AARs, and my clear favorite (together with the oft-mentioned Certain Painful Doom of Abyssinia)! After reading every dang comment and catching up, I figured I had to make a post :)

You were wondering why you lost the first battle of Bejaija, as far as I can see from the screeshots the answer is clear: inferior units. The very fact that they have 6x as many HC as you, and a huge percentage of your number is LI, probably decided it in itself. HC are enormously powerful. Also, no commander on the flank is bad, but you mentioned that :D

CHAPTER 30
1430-1431
ANGEL OF DEATH

DV7yReE.jpg

On 20th day of December in the year of Our Lord 1430 the illustrious Imperial Council of the Imperium Romanum have assembled to debate and advice the blessed Augustus Basileus Autokrator of the Imperium Romanum Alexios Angelos, chosen by Our Lord and Savior as God's Regent on Earth and Protector of the Christendom.

Subjects of the 113th Imperial Council assembly:
- report of Scrinium Barbarorum concerning: internal instability of the Horde;
- report of Scrinium Barbarorum concerning: aftermath of xenoi invasion;
- high treason of some of the noble aristoi of the Imperium Romanum;
- refugees from African themata.

Present members of the Imperial Council:

- Eirenaios Angelos, Magistros of Imperium Romanum
- Demetrios Komnenos, Strategos of Imperium Romanum and doux of themata of Paphlagonia and Armeniakon
- Julian the Norse, Sakellarios of Imperium Romanum and Captain of the Varangian Guard
- Empress Ambrosia di Bar-le-Duc, Mystikissa of Imperium Romanum

Minutes made by vestes Zenobios, eunuch of the Great Palace

YIyY5L9.jpg

EUNUCH: Noble Julian the Norse, Sakellarios of Imperium Romanum and captain of Tagma ton Varangon!
:captain Julian enters the room with two Varangians:
JULIAN THE NORSE: Kyria.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You are late, captain.
JULIAN THE NORSE: I beg your forgiveness, my lady, I was-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: It doesn't matter. Come on, heave a seat. Put the report here.
:Julian the Norse sits next to the empress:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: So, tell me.
JULIAN THE NORSE: Err, tell what, kyria?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: How was your day?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Well, uhm, like every day in the service of the Throne it was very-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I don't care, Julian. :sighs: Tell me about the army.
JULIAN THE NORSE: The Imperial Army?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Yes, the Imperial Army. Brave young Romaioi dying for their Emperor. It's been almost a years since the invasion, so I believe we have rather good estimates by now about what themata have to offer, am I right?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Obviously, kyria.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Good.
JULIAN THE NORSE: …
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: …
JULIAN THE NORSE: Ahem, shall I-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: For God's sake, old man, are you demented? You are imperial sakellarios! I hope that you are better in overseeing collecting taxes than- :rolls eyes: Nevermind. Tell me, good captain, how many men will the themata provide if such need arises.
JULIAN THE NORSE: Yes, yes. Ahem. During xenoi invasion our themata have suffered heavy losses. The battle of Bejaija alone saw-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Spare me the details – I want numbers.
JULIAN THE NORSE: Yes, kyria. Before the invasion themata counted more than 195 thousand soldiers. That's obviously not including tagmata or forces of the Brotherhood, which-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Don't even mention these traitors. So, almost two hundred thousand. And now?

AMnQn42.jpg

JULIAN THE NORSE: A little more than 57 thousand, kyria.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Fifty sev- are you sure?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Yes, my lady. Although these numbers are from the first half of the year and I'm sure that by now we-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Fifty. Seven. Thousand. :rises from her chair: Tell, me captain, how is it possible that we've lost – correct me if I'm wrong – almost 140 thousand men? In a single campaign!
JULIAN THE NORSE: Well-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You were there, Julian – you were fighting beside despotes during the battle of Guelma. Is it truly his fault? Is it possible that one man's mistakes could bring such devastation?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Kyria, doux Demetrios is convinced that Kyriakos Palaiologos is responsible for our defeat and he said on numerous occasions-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I know what strategos thinks about him - I'm asking what is your opinion in this matter.
JULIAN THE NORSE: Well-
EUNUCH: Illustrious Eirenaios Angelos, Magistoros of Imperium Romanum!
JULIAN THE NORSE: Kyrie.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Aunt. Captain.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Ah, my nephew-in-law, late as always. Come, sit – do you want some wine?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: No, thank you. Is this themata report? Shouldn't we wait for strategos with this?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I don't trust him, it's better when we discuss this before he arrives.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: With him?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Yes. He was a loyal servant of the Throne for more than a fifty years – he's maybe not as capable as he used to be when he was younger, but captain Julian has my trust. He deserves it.
JULIAN THE NORSE: M-my lady, you honor me greatly with-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Enough, Julian. Very well, we shall begin with... What's the matter, my dear?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: …
:Eirenaios is avoiding eye contact:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You look very pale. Are you troubled by something?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: :rises his voice slightly: Troubled? :looks down: No, I'm not troubled.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Let me guess - bad news from the East? Or these annoying Polish envoys again?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Oh. Of course. Why, Eirenaios? You know you shouldn't go there.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Nobody is visiting him but me.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Good. He's a traitor of the Imperium.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: :rises his voice: He's my father!

s456PAg.jpg

AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: He is. But he's also guilty of high treason and you are a member of this Council. You can't visit him and you know it.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: High treason, huh? He did nothing wrong!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: He suggested to nominate Kyriakos Palaiologos as megas domestikos. He was in charge of administrative reforms which caused our limes to be neglected. He was parakoimomenos. He manipulated my husband for years and he is responsbile for the disaster in Africa. Oh, he did plenty wrong.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: That's a lie and you know it!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Your emotions have clouded your judgment.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Ha!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You must think about the Imperium, my nephew. There are things greater and more important than even your closest ones.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: The Imperium will be a rotting corpse soon if we won't do something!
JULIAN THE NORSE: :gasps: Saint Markos protects!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Now and always. What did you say?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: You've heard me. Do you really think that this whole hunt for traitors and heretics is going to change anything? That we will be better prepared for another horde of barbarians if we find and punish another scapegoat? Pointless persecution fueled by fear and bigotry, is this the best what we can do now? Purge the army of the same men who should let our forces to fight the enemy? This is madness!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Leontios Doukas is not a scapegoat.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: I'm not talking only about my father – what about the domestikoi punished for failure in Africa?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: They all failed their Augustus.
JULIAN THE NORSE: I agree. Army must be disciplined.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Oh really? And how exactly killing our own officers if going to help us in that? And the agentes in rebus of Bureau of Barbarians executed for “treason”?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Their botched attempts to deliver accurate reports of xenoi movements were one of the causes of our defeat. It's easy to debate these things here in the City, my kyrie, but I was there on the battlefield, facing thousands of western savages who shouldn't even be there according to Scrinium Barbarorum.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Precisely – this must've been disastrous to morale.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: And do we have other agents who can replace those so easily dispatched by you?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You shouldn't speak about things you have no idea of, my nephew. You would be surprised by how many spies work for the Throne.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Oh, I'm not talking about your “birds”, aunt, these blackmailed courtiers, disloyal servants spying on their masters, two-faced corrupted officials or some low-born scum. Who's going to gather intelligence for me when I have to deal with barbarians? Hmm? These young slaves and whores working for you?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You're way out of line, my nephew-in-law. Control yourself when speaking to your Empress and wife of your Augustus.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Are you really?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: What did you say?

iQjgebh.jpg

EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Do you think I don't know? You were the first to accuse my father when the news of our failure in Africa reached the City. But not out of your concern for the Imperium, no – you were just trying to protect yourself!
JULIAN THE NORSE: My lord, what are you-
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Oh shut up, old man! We all heard the rumors, didn't we? The whole Konstantinoupolis heard them. How else would Leontios became parakoimomenos so quickly if he hadn't have a powerful ally in the court? With Augustus... ill you must've grown bored quickly of life in the Great Palace, didn't you? And then he was, young, ambitious and handsome monk-knight, friend of the Emperor, always close to the Throne.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Careful now, my dear, you may want to stop now before you say something you're going to regret.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Regret, you say? Like you regret what you've done? Tell me, did you enjoyed moments you spent with my fath-
:Ambrosia rises from her chair:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Silence! I will not allow you to repeat these disgusting rumors about me only because you can't accept the fact that your own father betrayed me husband's trust.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: These “rumors” seem to upset you greatly, aunt. Perhaps that's why you wanted my father imprisoned, didn't you? To distance yourself from the “rumors”?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Not another word!
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Just admit this! You put in prison the one intelligent person among all these slavish sycophants and brainless lackeys dwelling in the Palace, one of the few people who understands what has to be done in order to preserve the Imperium you claim to care about so much and because of what? Your own sinful behavior? Fear that my uncle will find out about your affair? And Augustus will find out, mark my words, as soon as-
:Ambrosia slaps Eirenaios' face:
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Ugh! You Italian bitch! How dare you-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You open your mouth again to spew out these loathsome accusations and I will have your eyes gouge out and feed you with them. Do you understand?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Look at me! If you want your pathetic father to rot in the dungeons a little longer before he will be executed for his crimes, you won't ever mention this subject again, you hear me?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I asked you a question.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Yes.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: :raises eyebrow:
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Yes... my empress.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Good. :sits down: If you weren't Angeloi, I would have you burned for what you just said. Everyone else who's spreading these sickening lies and tries to discredit me and my love and devotion to my husband shall be treated as traitor and punished accordingly. No mercy to those who are trying to weaken the Imperium – am I right, Julian?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Of course, kyria.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Mhm. Now, before Demetrios shows up I want you to-
EUNUCH: Illustrious antypathos protospatharios Demetrios Komnenos, Strategos of Imperium Romanum and doux of themata Paphlagonia and Armeniakon!

NH8RYVq.jpg

DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Kyria. My lords.
:sits down:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I hope I didn't miss anything.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Not at all, doux Demetrios.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: So shall we begin?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Obviously. We were only waiting for you, strategos.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I was busy.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Busy? What's more important than the matters of this Council?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Augustus wanted to see me.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Oh? Why is that so?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I am to be given a special... task.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Special task, you say.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Of the utmost importance for the security of the Imperium.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Interesting. I won't ask you what is this mission my husband gave you, I don't think I want to know.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I wouldn't tell. Kyria.
:Ambrosia and Demetrios stare at each other for a moment:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Very well. Let's talk about the Imperial Army, shall we? Strategos, is there anything you would like to share with us?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: As a matter of fact, yes. The reorganization of the Brotherhood is going extremely well. I believe that soon the remaining monk-knights will be capable of performing their duties just as well as before the rebellion.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: You mean before you ordered their grandmaster to be tortured?

CKUW5Jf.jpg

P1YJ1M9.jpg

DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Just punishment is not torture, my lord. Ioannes Stibolt was partially responsible for the disastrous campaign against xenoi invaders. He personally made many unforgivable mistakes, among them the ill-fated decision during the battle of Guelma when four thousand of my... of best kataphraktoi imperial tagmata had to offer needlessly tossed their life away. We lost the elite on that they and gained nothing.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: I'm not convinced by your words.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Perhaps because you weren't there, my kyrie – but I was. Me and captain Julian were bleeding for the Imperium in these damn mountain passages. :Can you see this scar? :turns his face: Don't let anyone tell you that obsidian blades aren't dangerous – they cut through flesh easier than scythe cuts through grass. :turns his face: We had to watch how western savages slaughter Roman army. We should have never allow this foreigner to be in charge of even a bandon, not to mention tagmata. So with all due respect, you are not the one to judge, my lord.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Don't tell me about judges, doux, there wasn't even a treason trial. You just-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: There are no trials for the enemies of the Imperium. I was carrying my orders given to me by Augustus himself and he is guided by the Light of Our Lord. What Ioannes Stibolt did, blinded by his pride just like in Guelma, was unforgivable – or have you forgotten how many good Romaioi were killed because of him?

RNvH7eH.jpg

EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: I'm not defending what he did – I'm just pointing out that whether he's guilty should be decided-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: By whom? The Senate? Basileus is God's Regent on Earth, there is no higher authority to appeal to.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You must forgive my nephew, strategos, he may be sympathetic to some of the traitors because of his obvious... connections to some of them.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: What?! You-
:Ambrosia looks at him and raises an eyebrow:
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: -are absolutely right, aunt. I apologize for my behavior.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: There's no need to do so, kyrie. These are dark days we live in. First the invasion and treason, then the rebellion of those sworn to protect the Imperium. And even the death of Augustus' brother-
JULIAN THE NORSE: May he rest in peace.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: -may he rest in peace. Truly God works in mysterious ways.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I hope he will find salvation but death of that poor soul Maximos is not the topic of our meeting. How many monk-knights there are now?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: After the battle? Less than 5,000 I'm afraid – they are no longer a formidable force they used to be.

S8YAW4Y.jpg

YicBbHx.jpg

AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: That's rather disappointing.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Maybe we should have offer them pardon instead of executioner's axe.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: They are going to need new recruits, strategos.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Indeed, kyria. But I fear that they may not find many of them – we barely have enough men to protect limes right now and with tagmata slowly replenishing its loses it may take long time before they will be able to field regiment of a decent size.
JULIAN THE NORSE: Ahem. We can always search for volunteers beyond the Imperium.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: This is an option. By the way captain, are you still considering enlisting Polish warriors into the Guard?
JULIAN THE NORSE: Yes. My people are... there are not many of Norsemen left. Those who found save haven in the City after the fall of... after the fall of Konungariket Sverige are mostly women, children and elderly. We can't hope to-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Of course, of course. But are these Poles as dreadful warriors as Varangians like these two? :points at two guardians staying by the doors:
JULIAN THE NORSE: They are good enough, my lady, although they excel rather as cavalrymen than soldiers fighting on foot. You may find their skills more valuable in tagmata, strategos.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I would rather not – I won't trust the security of the Imperium to the foreigners. No offence.
JULIAN THE NORSE: None taken.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Captain Julian is Roman in all but blood flowing in his veins, doux Demetrios. So who's in charge of the Order for the time being?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Prince Norbert von Zähringen.

UcaEB9s.jpg

AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Prince Norbert?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: He's son of the last kaiser from the House von Zäh-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I know who he is. How could you allow him to become the grandmaster?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: What do you mean, kyria? He was one of the sword-brothers who remained loyal to the-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: He's half-brother is Cacamtazin's dog!
JULIAN THE NORSE: Saint Markos!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: What?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Not only that, he's the leader of this blasphemous cult of cannibals worshipping some xenoi dark god.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Huitzilopochtli.
:captain Julian makes the sing of the Cross:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You knew.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Norbert is absolutely loyal, I can assure you of that, my lady.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Really.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Kyria, he was elected by the Brotherhood's loyalists and he's completely-
VARANGIAN GUARD #1: Excuse me, my lord – there's a message for you.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: It better be important, otherwise I-
:Demetrios turns pale:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: It is important, I presume.
:Demetrios gets up:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: My lady, my lords, I have to-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Go! And make sure to follow my husband's order to the lettter – there's nothing more important than the good of the Imperium.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I will, kyria.
:Demetrios storms out of the room:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Splendid. Let's talk about the report of Scrinium Barbarorum concerning the Horde then. Are your mandatores ready?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Yes.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Wonderful. As soon as they-
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: I still think this is a bad idea.

GN87rER.jpg

AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: You do? Well, then explain to me, my dear nephew-in-law, why is that so? Do you disagree with captain Julian that we should secure Moldau while we can?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Not at all – with the Horde collapsing it's probably the best moment to strike. But sending gifts to barbarians? This will achieve nothing.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Generations of Roman diplomats disagree with you on that.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: They only had to deal with normal barbarians like Bulgars or Slavs or Alans or even Turks. But to think that gold can buy us peace from son of Timur? And xenoi... they don't care about jewels or gold. They are rabid beasts hungry for blood of the faithful Romaioi. No, giving them “gifts” is a big mistake – we would only waste money doing so and we won't gain anything.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Very well. Let's vote than – who's in favor?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: What? You can't-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Let's see... Yes. It seems that majority of this Council decided to send the envoys to barbarians.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Next thing – despotes Kyriakos Palaiologos. Can he rebel if we send tagmata to bring him in chains here so that he may answer for his treason?
JULIAN THE NORSE: It's doubtful, kyria. His son Kyrillos is still in Konstantinoupolis and despotes knows that the moment he disobeys his son will lose his head.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: His son? You mean Iakobos?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Don't even know the name of a boy you ordered to be blinded?
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Be quiet, my nephew – you're forgetting your dear father's fate is in my power.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Well?
JULIAN THE NORSE: No, my lady, Kyrillos Palaiologos. Iakobos is his younger brother and he's also a... guest of Augustus.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Ah, the 6 year old. Right. Very well then – will you bring me this traitor, captain Julian? He must be punished for Africa.
JULIAN THE NORSE: I'm honored to do so, kyria.

FIVaNPa.jpg

AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Good. You will leave the City immediately. Take only your most trusted men and remember, when you arrive in Aragon you must-
:suddenly doors open and doux Demetrios enters the room accompanied by six Varangians armed with axes and one soldier holding crossbow:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Demetrios! What is the meaning of this?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: In the name of augustus Alexios I Angelos, God's Regent on Earth and Protector of the Christendom, you are under arrest.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Are you threatening me, doux Demetrios?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: The Emperor will decide your fate.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I am the Empress! You can't do this!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: I just did.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: It's treason then. :turns quickly to captain: What are you waiting for, idiot?! Defend your Empress!
JULIAN THE NORSE: Varangians!
:two guards standing behind captain Julian come closer to Demetrios' men:
JULIAN THE NORSE: I don't want any bloodshed, Komnenos, but if you think you can arrest Her Highness-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Stavros, crossbow.
:doux takes crossbow from soldier:
JULIAN THE NORSE: -than you must be out of your damned mind! I will never allow-
:Demetrios shoots the crossbow, bolt hits one of the Julian's Varangians in the face; Varangian collapses dead on the floor:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Aah!
:Demetrios tosses crossbow and rises his right hand:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: You see this, Varangian? This is a signet ring of kouropalates given to me by Augustus himself. You will obey.
:Varangian standing besides captain Julian lowers his axe:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Good. Now help me and arrest your former captain.
JULIAN THE NORSE: What?! Former captain?! Only Augustus-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: You are traitor, Julian, and you will be treated as one.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Enough of this! You better tell me right now what is the meaning of this or, I swear on Saint Markos bones, I will have you executed!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Very well. :takes out piece of paper from his pocket: These are my orders – to arrest associates of traitor Leontios Doukas.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: On what charges?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: High treason and conspiracy to take control over the Throne and overthrow blessed Alexios I Angelos.

p7PDBUN.jpg

:Eirenaios starts laughing loudly:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: WHAT?! He would never... this is impossible! This is madness!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Take them away. :points at Eirenaios: You too.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: What?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: You are part of the same conspiracy. You thought nobody will see through your plot, son of traitor?
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: What plot? What are you talking about?!
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Varangians! I demand you to take me to my husband right now! This is some kind of a coup, you can't let this madman to-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: You have no authority here anymore and Augustus is no longer your husband.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Wh...what?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: His Excellency archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Matthaios II has granted a divorce to blessed Alexios due to you succumbing to heresy.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Heresy?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Treason means to undermine Augustus authority as Regent of Iesus Kristos on this world – and that's heresy. Seize them.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: NO!
:Ambrosia suddenly takes Julian's dagger and points it at Demetrios and Varangians:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: If any of your dogs will come any closer he'll have to use this axe because I swear on my mother's grave I won't go with you!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Ambrosia-
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Stay back!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Please, don't make it harder than necessary.
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: Shut your mouth, you vile worm! I knew you can't be trusted! That's how you repay my husband his favor?!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Ambrosia-
:Ambrosia swings the blade:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: I said stay back!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: We have your son.
:Ambrosia stops moving and turns pale:
AMBROSIA DI BAR-LE-DUC: My...
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Valerios, also charged with treason. Be reasonable, please. You know how... effective we can be during interrogation.
:Ambrosia drops the dagger on the floor:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Good. Take them away.
:Varangians grip Ambrosia, Julian and Eirenaios by their arms:
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: Wait! Wait, I want a trial! I am Angeloi, you can't do this without a trial!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: There is no trial for the enemies of the Imperium. Pray to Saint Markos that Augustus finds forgiveness in his heart.
EIRENAIOS ANGELOS: What?! No, no, I beg you..!

KsKRz7a.jpg

:empty chamber of the Council with Demetrios sitting at the table alone; Stavros enters the room:
STAVROS: The deed is done, my lord. Traitors are secured.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: It's terrifying, don't you agree?
STAVROS: Kyrie?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: To think that even the closest ones of Augustus could be tainted by heresy... His own wife, and during these dark times! Xenoi and barbarians dwell beyond our limes and within them thrive traitors. What can man do in face of such great malice and malevolence of Diabolos?
STAVROS: Be loyal to Iesus Kristos and the Throne, sir.
:eunuch enters the room:
EUNUCH: My noble lord, the message from-
:Demetrios nods, eunuch comes closer, gives him the letter and leaves:
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Loyalty. Ha! Such a rare commodity these days.
:starts reading the letter:
STAVROS: What shall we do now, kyrie? What does Augusts command?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: First of all, we were supposed to pay a visit to despotes Kyriakos Palaiologos in Aragon.
STAVROS: “Were” supposed, my lord?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Mhm. :looks at Stavros: I'm afraid it no longer matters. :shows him the letter:

BYqtBQf.jpg

STAVROS: But... this means war!
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Yes. :gets up: I'll notify Augustus.
STAVROS: We can't fight them, not now! We don't have men, most of our forces are-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Stavros.
STAVROS: Sir?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: These are just a few themata, they are not a threat. They are exercise. But yes, I have to admit...
STAVROS: Kyrie?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Sometimes it seems as if Our Lord was testing our faith, just like in case of Augustus'... illness.
STAVROS: People say that the Emperor is fighting with western daemons when he's praying and-
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: People say a lot of things but you'll never mention this again, do you understand? You're now servant of the Great Palace.
STAVROS: Yes, sir. What are your orders?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Assembly the troops, tell the Imperial Navy we're going to need transport to Aragon. In the meantime I will assembly a new Council, because, and God's my witness, the Imperium needs one. And now will you excuse me, I still have to deliver this message to the Throne.
STAVROS: But sir, when are we going to leave? The day after tomorrow?
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: During Nativity? No, Stavros – what kind of a husband spends this time of a year without his family? We will leave on the first day of January. Now go, there is much to be done.
STAVROS: Yes, sir. The Angeloi protect.
DEMETRIOS KOMNENOS: Now and always, my friend. Now and always.

ad4xElr.jpg

pti34Y5.jpg

svljqxs.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Surprise! Actually I wanted to release it during the weekend but after receiving the "Best Character Writer of the Week" award I felt obliged and motivated to finish it quicker. So, here it is, 30th chapter of "This Is Madness" - enjoy! :)

BTW considering that this chapter is longer than normally please let me know about any mistakes and typos I made. Thank you.

Well that's a lot of heads to cut ... A few more, gentlemen and you'll be good servants of the Imperium ! :D
Gameplay-wise do you have maluses for killing so many people or did you arrange yourself not to have some ?

P.S : could you use italics or another thing instead of *...* for the scenic indications ? IMO it'd look better and more readable

Well that's a lot of heads to cut ... A few more, gentlemen and you'll be good servants of the Imperium ! :D
Gameplay-wise do you have maluses for killing so many people or did you arrange yourself not to have some ?

P.S : could you use italics or another thing instead of *...* for the scenic indications ? IMO it'd look better and more readable
Wait,do you consider our Blessed Augustus Alexios the Just,to be a tyrant?
Arrest him and behead him!

the emperor is reminding me of the xenoi now...

How dare you besmirch the good name of the Basileus, Regent of God and descendant of Saint Markos!!!!
Guards, arrest this Xenoi spy for attempting to create internal turmoil and unrest within the Imperium.