• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An interactive version of this? Count me excited!
Imperial Senate still functions after all. At least for now.

tarkin.jpg

Only problem is that if the game does reach EU4, the endless hordes won't be quite as endless. I hope the Byzantines can get a new rival anyway.
Indeed. That's why I'll edit converted save a little bit - it doesn't work very well and due to crazy basetax in Europe and other factors whatever balance of power was achieved in CK2 would be completely destroyed. I won't touch Imperium at all, only other countries; I experimented with converting for some time (using earlier dates like 1387 as a test) and it just doesn't convert very well (the Horde doesn't have Steppe Horde government, Sultanate of Mali is Sunni not Yazidi et cetera).

So there will be some tweaking. But considering what WoN is bringing I may not have to mess with the conferter files that much - here are the pips of land units in EU4 as of now:

Infantry_pips.png

And here are the pips in WoN and upcoming patch according to what Wiz posted:
attachment.php

To those not familiar with EU4 warfare, this is a big buff for non-European tech groups.

Someting that's been on my mind for a while: Isn't it well past the time for the empire to realize that the notion of crusades being incompatible with christianity is simply wrong and any documents claiming historical figures claimed anything of the sort must surely be forgeries made by heretics or House Doukas in order to undermine the Angeloi from fulfilling their God's-given mandate to purge all the unfaithful from the face of the world?

Someting that's been on my mind for a while: Isn't it well past the time for the empire to realize that the notion of crusades being incompatible with christianity is simply wrong and any documents claiming historical figures claimed anything of the sort must surely be forgeries made by heretics or House Doukas in order to undermine the Angeloi from fulfilling their God's-given mandate to purge all the unfaithful from the face of the world?

Of course, this must be a plot by... The Bishop of Rome!

This is a very, very good question. Historically, theological issues like this one were solved by ecumenical councils beginning with the First Council in Nikea in 325 AD. And so it will happen in 1400 that the Holy Church AD - under guidance of the blessed Augustus obviously - will solve this and other theological problems once and for all :)

jBVgVaK.jpg

The Angeloi protect!

I like your long-term goals. Assuming you can keep the Hordes and the Evil Aztecs somewhat close to their CK2-level of power, it should take you quite a while to achieve those goals. :) I can just see the final update, in which the Emperor leads his units into Tenochtitlan and razes those blasphemous sacrificial pyramids to the ground. :)

I was thinking about several possible goals:

1. Restore Trajan borders of the Imperium in Europe

[...]

I don't really get what everyone has with Trajans borders, considering that it was an incredible stupid idea of him to expand at this point. The roman empire was already overstretched and had a hard time to control it as it wars. His predecessor Domitian actually acknowledged it and so did Trajans successor Hadrian, who simply took back a loot of Trajans conquests and got in the defense so the Empire didn't simply collapse entirely.
So, what I want to say: Make it like Domitian and Hadrian take what you can hold and consolidate it. Some Borders that where drawn on an map for some years centuries ago are not worth to risk the glorious Empire of the Angeloi.

Sunrise invasion on the other hand sounds like something really really awesome. Now I imagine some ten thousand byzantine Cataphract storming the Atztec capital...

Can't wait for the next part!

Yeah, better to work on infrastructure than expand. The lands have been ruled by Xenoi for many years, and many have given up their faith in the name of the cruel Nahua Gods. If anything, the Empire must work on delivering the word of the Holy Church, as championed by the mighty Saint Markos (may his soul be blessed with peace) to the other Xenoi who live in fear under Nahua domination.

I don't really get what everyone has with Trajans borders, considering that it was an incredible stupid idea of him to expand at this point. The roman empire was already overstretched and had a hard time to control it as it wars. His predecessor Domitian actually acknowledged it and so did Trajans successor Hadrian, who simply took back a loot of Trajans conquests and got in the defense so the Empire didn't simply collapse entirely.
So, what I want to say: Make it like Domitian and Hadrian take what you can hold and consolidate it. Some Borders that where drawn on an map for some years centuries ago are not worth to risk the glorious Empire of the Angeloi.

Sunrise invasion on the other hand sounds like something really really awesome. Now I imagine some ten thousand byzantine Cataphract storming the Atztec capital...

Hadrian was pretty bad if someone like Lusius Quietus the berber general was chosen as succesor and not Hadrian, Rome could have keep Trajans border longer. So the holy Angeloi Dynasty should conquer it as well as China. Smash the Xenoi!

Hadrian was pretty bad if someone like Lusius Quietus the berber general was chosen as succesor and not Hadrian, Rome could have keep Trajans border longer. So the holy Angeloi Dynasty should conquer it as well as China. Smash the Xenoi!

That's something to debate. While I agree that Hadrian wasn't one of the empires greatest general, he was in my opinion a superb administrator who for example reformed the administration from what was de facto the private chancellery of the Princeps to a professional public government. Or took care of a kind of empire wide urban development program.

It might be a case that a better military would have been able – or to be more precise willing – to keep Trajans Borders. But there are some things to keep in mind: First, even Trajan couldn't hold his conquests. He lost Armenia and Mesopotamia already 116, the same year he had founded those two provinces (he had conquered these territories since 113). Second: Hadrian didn't lost many of the other conquests of Trajan but simply took the borders back (except in Dakia).

One can argue, if this was clever, but the fact was, that the empire was in a rough time. They had gotten a beating from the Parthians, there were near constant attacks from local tribes at all borders of the empire, which of course weren’t threatening in itself but a lot small pinpricks that sapped the military power of the empire and there were internal problems like first uprisings in the middle east that would later culminate in the Bar-Kochba-Umprising. The imperial military power was at this time still at a high that surpasses later times, but it was desperately needed in the empire as it where.

According to Tacitus, even the first emperor Augustus had advised to keep the empire in his borders (see Tacitus Annales 1.11). But then here I would agree that politics shouldn't orientate itself on the counsel of a guy who died a century ago.

HOLY SYNOD
ECUMENICAL COUNCIL OF HIERUSALEM

JYVESIn.jpg

To the Honorable Rector Magnificus of Pandidakterion

Eis to onoma tou Patros kai tou Huiou kai tou Hagiou Pneumatos. Amen.

Greetings and wishes for every good fortune to Honorable Rector of Pandidakterion and his students. The blessed Augustus Basileus Autokrator of the Imperium Romanum Leon VIII Angelos, chosen by Our Lord and Savior as God's Regent on Earth and Protector of the Christendom – long may he reign – has ordered me, his humble servant, to write this letter to Your Excellency.

Blessed Augustus requested me to deliver documents from the Ecumenical Council of Hierusalem to the Pandidakterion. Illustrious Basileus has always hold University of Konstantinoupolis and his scholars in high regard. Talents and skills of students of Pandidakterion are invaluable for the blessed Imperium Romanum. To show his gratitude, the great Augustus decided that among the first ones who should acquaint themselves with the canons of the Holy Synod are the masters of the University.

Other documents brought to you by the vestoi of Scrinium Barbarorum ton Barbaron include drafts of planned senatus consulta, which will be approved by the Imperial Senate in due time and several planned amendments of the Ekloge and the Basilika in the form of imperial edicta. Blessed Augustus deeply respects the Codex of great Justinian I and other collections of laws such as aforementioned two – however, some changes must be made in the Corpus Iuris Civilis accordingly to the canons of the Ecumenical Council. As Ulpian said, ius est ars boni et aequi, and if one truly wants to practice the law as the art of goodness and equity, one has to follow the light of Our Lord. Illustrious Basileus wishes that the law students of Pandidakterion study the teachings of Holy Church expressed during the Synod so that they can translate them to the language of law so that in the future new revised codex could be written. I ordered the eunuchs to write down proposed changes with red ink so that it would be easier to study the documents. Receiving the divinely-inspired teachings of the Council as the first ones in the Imperium is a great honor for the University – illustrious Basileus hopes you will appreciate it.

fr29Dqh.jpg

It is my sad duty to invite Your Excellence for the funeral of venerable doux Megistos Doukas, Magistros of the Imperium Romanum and Head of the great House Doukas, God rest his soul. He was a great man, skilled diplomat and faithful servant of the Throne. His death left us all inconsolable - it's always a tragedy when noble Roman statesmen leave this world. Let us all pray together for his soul so that Our Lord have mercy on him, for we all are sinners.

May Iesus Kristos bless Your Excellency and all students of Pandidakterion.

Signed,
Imperial Regent Thomas Angelos, Mystikos of Basileia Romaion

Sealed with Regent's Ring on sixteenth day of September in the year of Our Lord 1400

Note to vestes: Take care of this from now on, I won't waste my precious time on epistolography with those pompous lawyers; five lashes to every eunuch who will come with this to me.

[video=youtube_share;feu2owd0MsY]http://youtu.be/feu2owd0MsY[/video]

0TsPR8i.jpg

[size=+2]CANONS OF THE ECUMENICAL COUNCIL OF HIERUSALEM[/size]

The Holy and Ecumenical Synod, gathered together in Hierusalem by the decree of our most religious Augustus Basileus Autokrator Leon VIII Angelos, to the bishops, presbyters, deacons, and all the people in every province and city:

[size=+1]Canon I (Place of xenoi in God's Creation)[/size]

The sublime God so loved the human race that He created man in such wise that he might participate, not only in the good that other creatures enjoy, but endowed him with capacity to attain to the inaccessible and invisible Supreme Good and behold it face to face; and since man, according to the testimony of the sacred scriptures, has been created to enjoy eternal life and happiness, which none may obtain save through faith in our Lord Iesus Kristos, it is necessary that he should possess the nature and faculties enabling him to receive that faith; and that whoever is thus endowed should be capable of receiving that same faith. Nor is it credible that any one should possess so little understanding as to desire the faith and yet be destitute of the most necessary faculty to enable him to receive it. Hence Kristos, who is the Truth itself, that has never failed and can never fail, said to the preachers of the faith whom He chose for that office 'Go ye and teach all nations.' He said all, without exception, for all are capable of receiving the doctrines of the faith.

The Enemy of the human race, who opposes all good deeds in order to bring men to destruction, beholding and envying this, invented a means never before heard of, by which he might hinder the preaching of God's word of Salvation to the people: he inspired his satellites who, to please him, have not hesitated to claim that the xenoi of the Far West should not be treated as dumb brutes created for his service, pretending that they are capable of receiving the True Faith.

We, assembled here on this Holy Synod, consider however, that the xenoi are truly soulless beasts and that they are not only incapable of understanding the True Faith but, according to our information and what was proved during last decades on innumerable occasions, they desire nothing more but to exterminate good Christians.

By the authority of this Ecumenical Council and the Holy Church we declare all the xenoi the Enemies of Iesus Kristos and servants of Diabolos. These creatures are but a pathetic mockery of the holy form of man, created by God in His image, a blasphemous soulless corpses created by demons whom they serve. For Our Lord, knowing of their existence far beyond the seas, decided not to bring Gospel to them because they are not human nor they possess an immortal soul. They can not attain salvation nor can they hope for God's mercy, as what many suspects their are remnants of the giants who once inhabited earth. For it is said in the Holy Bible (Genesis 6: 5-7): „The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

(...)

As soulless instruments of the Diabolos in his desire to destroy beloved children of God, which is proved by countless atrocities committed by them including blasphemous and terrible human sacrifices to their false dark gods, the xenoi should be considered equal to vile and dangerous animals incapable of reasoning and devoid of love, kindness, justice or any other virtues or feelings. Being born damned by God, it is a great displace of mercy when one of the xenoi is made a slave, for this act elevates them from their miserable condition of men-beasts to the status of a slave. But no condemnation should be expressed to those who are not merciful for them, for no man can sin against the soulless.

We hope that with blessing of Our Lord these tormented creatures will be put out of their misery whenever soldiers of Kristos encounter them.

OGpO6zd.jpg

[size=+1]Canon II (Saint Markos Angelos Equal-to-the-Apostles)[/size]

The Holy Church recognized the sainthood of the most pious Markos I Angelos. He was the one who protected the Holy Church and Basileia Romaion from all the enemies in the hour of need. But even the greatest emperor is nothing without the Grace of Our Lord. He has made him victorious over every enemy that disturbed his peace: he it is who displays him as an example of true godliness to the human race. Iesus Kristos made it so that saint Markos, like the radiant sun, to this day illuminates the most distant subjects of his Imperium through the presence of his progeny as with the far piercing rays of his own brightness. Saint Markos is the one who is dear to the Supreme Sovereign himself; who alone was truly lord: above the thirst of wealth, superior to sexual desire; victorious even over natural pleasures; controlling, not controlled by, anger and passion. He was indeed perfect in discretion, in goodness, in justice, in courage, in piety, in devotion to God: he truly and only was a philosopher, since he knew himself, and is fully aware that supplies of every blessing are showered on him from a source quite external to himself, even from heaven itself. He alone after long rule of the sinful worthily weared that imperial purple which so well becomes him. When he was looking at the military service of his subjects, the vast array of his armies, the multitudes of horse and foot, entirely devoted to his command, he felt no astonishment, no pride at the possession of such mighty power. The wealth which others so much desire, as gold, silver, or precious gems, he regards to be, as they really are, in themselves mere stones and worthless matter, of no avail to preserve or defend from evil. For all these reasons, divinely taught and noble-minded saint Markos Angelos, aspiring to higher objects than this life affords, exhibited a pious spirit in each action of his life; and finally, as a wise and good instructor, imparts to his children this knowledge and wisdom.

(...)

Therefore this Holy Synod decided that henceforth saint Markos I Angelos shall be venerated as Equal-to-the-Apostles, Isapostolos, like Constantine the Great before him.

Furthermore, on the authority of the Holy Church and with blessing of Our Lord Iesus Kristos, we declare saint Markos I Angelos Isapostolos as the patron saint of the Imperium Romanum, Romans and all those suffering from the hands of the xenoi.

Let all Christians in the world find consolation in these dark times praying with his guidance to Our Heavenly Father.

Let his holy icons be displayed in every church in the Imperium so that he may be venerated for his excellence and holiness.

Let it be known from this day forward that saint Markos I Angelos Isapostolos, patron of the Imperium Romanum, Romans and all those suffering from the hands of xenoi, is a true saint in Iesus Kristos, aequalis apostolis. Amen.

jBVgVaK.jpg

[size=+1]Canon V (On the subject of the holy war)[/size]

As saint Athanasius stated, “Although one is not supposed to kill, the killing of the enemy in time of war is both a lawful and praiseworthy thing. This is why we consider individuals who have distinguished themselves in war as being worthy of great honors, and indeed public monuments are set up to celebrate their achievements. It is evident, therefore, that at one particular time, and under one set of circumstances, an act is not permissible, but when time and circumstances are right, it is both allowed and condoned”. The question arises whether killing not in the name of the Emperor but rather in the name of Iesus Kristos is just and acceptable.

(...)

The Bible says: “render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's”. Those who take the sword will perish by the sword, yet without bravery of the soldier the peace frequently can not be achieved. As Apostle Paulos wrote, “for the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer".

(...)

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.” These words shall guide every Christian in his life. However, it should not be expected from everyone to love his enemies, rather to forgive them and pray for them, for it requires exceptional virtue to do so. What can then be said about loving the fallen angels or Diabolos himself? Evil spirits are beings vastly different from men. Shall we as God's children love them too? (…) The answer is no, which should not stop the good Christians from praying for them, for the love of God is so great that even the fallen angels may find salvation in His mercy. The xenoi are similar to those evil spirits in their malice and sin but without a soul they may not be saved – they are forever lost and damned.

(...)

Therefore although the holy war against God's children is a sin and cannot be justified, the holy war against God's soulless enemies is not only permissible but should be encouraged, for every Christian sacrificed by the men-beasts from the Far West to their false dark gods is mourned by the Holy Church. It's impossible to enumerate all the terrible atrocities committed by the xenoi (…) who have to be eliminated. And such is the resolution of this Ecumenical Council that holy war against the xenoi was, is and always will be just in the eyes of Our Lord.

UwxFDZa.jpg

[size=+1]Canon IX (Heresy in Italia)[/size]

It is a cause of great sadness and to this Holy Synod assembled in Hierusalem (…) that the so called Catholic heresy still dwells in Italia. Those who were corrupted by the preachers of this disgusting heresy or (…) [those] who were foolish enough to believe in blasphemous claims of bishop of Rome shall be

(…)

This Holy Synod with all power and strength condemns the Catholic heresy and calls upon misguided Romans to repent. We assembled here with fatherly love remind those misguided by the bishop of Rome who will remain stubborn in their madness will be excommunicated latae sententiae from the Holy Church (…) and also face the proper punishment applied by the secular authorities.

06BlNTz.jpg

[size=+1]Canon XXIII (Slavery)[/size]

(…) father rules over son, man rules over woman and king rules over his subjects. As the Holy Bible teaches us (Titus 2:9-10), “Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.” It is also said that (1 Peter 2:18) „Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.”

(…)

(Luke 12:47) „And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.” However, Our Lord teaches us that the true slaver is being a slave to the sin. Even the least of slaves may find salvation, for it is said (Matthew 25:40) „The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

(…)

Therefore as it is of great injustice and sin to punish too severely one's slaves or to make it impossible for them to partake in the life of the Holy Church, these rules do not apply to the xenoi for they are soulless. There can be no injustice or sin in any action against them just as one cannot sin against rocks or trees. It shall be known than that we assembled here in Hierusalem do not see (…) anything wrong with taking harsh measures against the insubordinate xenoi slaves. To the contrary – as soulless beasts they can understand and respect only power, it is thus advised to not restrain oneself while disciplining these vile creatures.

fLg5sYa.jpg

[size=+1]Canon XXXIV (Apostates and faithless)[/size]

Between false gods of xenoi, Mongol barbarians and followers of Muhammad and those who – due to madness or stupidity – follow the teachings of false bishop of Rome and those faithful to the True and One Faith there are also those who do not believe. The question has been asked how the Holy Church should proceed in rare cases when one of us is revealed to be atheos.

(…)

Therefore God's existence is self-evident in His creation – as it was said (Romans 1:20) “For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.” One must then be vigil to not be corrupted by poison of atheoi. As the Holy Bible teaches us (Collosians 2:8): „See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.”

(…)

And that's why only a foolish man can close his eyes to God's Glory (Psalm 14:1): „To the choirmaster. Of David. The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.” But what should be done with those misguided who do not want to repent and rather prefer to remain in sin? Apostle Petros teaches us (Act 2:38): „Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” But some, fueled by daemon of pride, do not want to repent and accept Iesus Kristos as their Lord.

(…)

God does not have mercy for them, for it is said (Revelation 21:8): „But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” This is God's justice. The secular authority however cannot remain silent in the face of such travesty which is to reject God's love (…) this Holy Synod advises they shall be punished accordingly by burning. Let the flames similar of these of eternal torment for which there are destined cleanse their souls, for it is said (Psalm 10:15): „Break the arm of the wicked and evildoer; call his wickedness to account till you find none.”

MmqeU5S.jpg

[size=+2]PROPOSED SENATUS CONSULTA[/size]

[size=+1]Senatus consultum I (Jews)[/size]

The noble aristoi assembled in the Senate of the Imperium Romanum unanimously voted for and Praefectus of Konstantinoupolis signed the proposed senatus consultum, which the Senate hopes to be accepted by the High Imperial Majesty and issued as an edictum, and which concerns following matter:

The expulsion of Jews shall be henceforth considered null. Citizens and foreigners of Jewish origins may now again freely settle and trade within the imperial limes. All privileges given to them before are to be restituted.

Such is the will of the noble aristoi assembled in the Imperial Senate.

VkYIZDT.jpg

[size=+1]Senatus consultum II (Heresy in Italia)[/size]

The noble aristoi assembled in the Senate of the Imperium Romanum unanimously voted for and Praefectus of Konstantinoupolis signed the proposed senatus consultum, which the Senate hopes to be accepted by the High Imperial Majesty and issued as an edictum, and which concerns following matter:

The vile Catholic heresy is spreading in Italia like a disease. It's corrupting influence on the citizens of the Imperium is now more of a threat than ever. This is a plague which has to be stopped and like a wound burned so that it bleeds no more.

- All those recognized as heretics are to be seized and interrogated by the Italian themata;
- Heretics who do not repent are to be burned for their treason against the Throne, their wealth to be confiscated;
- Poisonous thoughts of Catholic heretics such as Thomas Aquinas, Duns Scotus, Francis of Assis et cetera are to be eradicated by burning their books;
- Who keeps books of aforementioned heretics in secret or refuses to give them to the local authorities shall be recognized as heretic as well.

Such is the will of the noble aristoi assembled in the Imperial Senate.

UhFtVxu.jpg

[size=+2]PROPOSED IMPERIAL EDICTA[/size]

[size=+1]Edictum I (changes in the Ekloge)[/size]

The most sacred Augustus Basileus Autokrator Leon VIII Angelos, Emperor of the Romans and Protector of the Holy Church, proclaims:

”1. A married man who commits adultery shall by way of' correction be flogged with twelve lashes; and whether rich or poor he shall pay a fine.
2. An unmarried man who commits fornication shall be flogged with six lashes.
(...)
5. The husband who is cognizant of, and condones, his wife's adultery shall be flogged and exiled, and the adulterer and the adulteress shall have their noses slit.
6. Persons committing incest, parents and children, children and parents, brothers and sisters, shall be capitally punished with the sword punished by burning. Those in other relationships who corrupt one another carnally, that is father and daughter-in-law, son and stepmother, father-in-law and daughter-in-law, brother and his brother's wife, uncle and niece, nephew and aunt, shall have their noses slit. And likewise he who has carnal knowledge with two sisters and even cousins.
7. If a woman is carnally known and, becoming pregnant, tries to produce a miscarriage, she shall be whipped and exiled flogged with ten lashes.
8. Those who are guilty whether actively or passively of committing unnatural offences shall be capitally punished with the sword punished by burning. If he who commits the offence passively, is found to be under twelve years old, he shall be pardoned on the ground of youthful ignorance of the offence committed.
9. Those guilty of abominable crime of man coupling like a woman shall be castrated and will become slaves working for the good of the Imperium as eunuchs.

[size=+1]Edictum II (changes in the Codex Iustiniani)[/size]

The most sacred Augustus Basileus Autokrator Leon VIII Angelos, Emperor of the Romans and Protector of the Holy Church, proclaims:

“1. The Emperors Gratian, Valentinian, and Theodosius to the people of the City of Konstantinoupolis.

We desire that all peoples subject to Our benign Empire shall live under the same religion that the Divine Peter, the Apostle, gave to the Romans, and which the said religion declares was introduced by himself, and which it is well known that the Pontiff Damasus, and Peter, Bishop of Alexandria, a man of apostolic sanctity, embraced; that is to say, in accordance with the rules of apostolic discipline and the evangelical doctrine, we should believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit constitute a single Deity, endowed with equal majesty, and united in the Holy Trinity.

(1) We order all those who follow this law to assume the name of Orthodox Christians, and considering others as demented and insane, We order that they shall bear the infamy of heresy; and when the Divine vengeance which they merit has been appeased, they shall afterwards be punished in accordance with Our resentment, which we have acquired from the judgment of Heaven.
(2) Whoever worships false god of Allah or his false prophet Muhammad shall be flogged with fifty lashes and have his right ear slit. If he who commits the offence is found to be under twelve years old, he shall be flogged with ten lashes and have his right ear slit.
(3) No places of prayer dedicated to false god Allah shall be build within the Imperium Romanum nor shall they be repaired.
(4) Followers of the false prophet Muhammad shall pay additional tax in the amount of three out of ten parts of their wealth every year on top of the taxes paid by all citizens. Those who will refuse to pay the tax shall be punished by burning, their children sold to slavery of which profit shall go to the thema in which they lived.

Dated at Thessalonica, on the third of the Kalends of March, during the Consulate of Gratian, Consul for the fifth time, and Theodosius.

2. The Same Emperors to Eutropius, Pretorian Prefect

Let no place be afforded to heretics for the conduct of their ceremonies, and let no occasion be offered for them to display the insanity of their obstinate minds. Let all persons know that if any privilege has been fraudulently obtained by means of any rescript whatsoever, by persons of this kind, it will not be valid. Let all bodies of heretics be prevented from holding unlawful assemblies, and let the name of the only and the greatest God be celebrated everywhere, and let the observance of the Nicene Creed, recently transmitted by Our ancestors, and firmly established by the testimony and practice of Divine Religion, always remain secure.

(1) Moreover, he who is an adherent of the Nicene Faith, and a true believer in the Catholic religion, should be understood to be one who believes that Almighty God and Christ, the Son of God, are one person, God of God, Light of Light; and let no one, by rejection, dishonor the Holy Spirit, whom we expect, and have received from the Supreme Parent of all things, in whom the sentiment of a pure and undefiled faith flourishes, as well as the belief in the undivided substance of a Holy Trinity. These things, indeed, do not require further proof, and should be respected.

(2) Let those who do not accept these doctrines cease to apply the name of true religion to their fraudulent belief; and let them be branded with their open crimes, and, having been removed from the threshold of all churches, be utterly excluded from them, as We forbid all heretics to hold unlawful assemblies within cities. If, however, any seditious outbreak should be attempted, We order them to be driven outside the walls of the City, with relentless violence, and We direct that all churches, throughout the entire world, shall be placed under the control of the orthodox bishops who have embraced the Nicene Creed.

(3) Let those who are branded heretics still loyal to the teachings of the false bishop of Rome be subjected to additional tax in the amount of two out of ten parts of their annual income.

Given at Konstantinoupolis , on the fourth of the Ides of January, under the Consulate of Flavius Eucharius and Flavius Syagrius.

3. The Emperor Martian to Palladius, Pretorian Prefect.

No one, whether he belongs to the clergy, the army, or to any other condition of men, shall, with a view to causing a tumult and giving occasion to treachery, attempt to discuss the Christian religion publicly in the presence of an assembled and listening crowd; for he commits an injury against the most reverend Synod who publicly contradicts what has once been decided and properly established; as those matters relative to the Christian Faith have been settled by the priests who met at Chalcedony by Our order, and are known to be in conformity with the apostolic explanations and conclusions of the three hundred and eight Holy Fathers assembled in Nicea, and the hundred and fifty who met in this Imperial City; for the violators of this law shall not go unpunished, because they not only oppose the true faith, but they also profane its venerated mysteries by engaging in contests of this kind with Jews and Pagans. Therefore, if any person who has ventured to publicly discuss religious matters is a member of the clergy, he shall be removed from his order; if he is a member of the army, he shall be degraded; and any others who are guilty of this offence, who are freemen, shall be banished from this most Sacred City, and shall be subjected to the punishment prescribed by law according to the power of the court shall be punished by burning; and if they are slaves, they shall undergo the severest penalty of evisceration, their remnants to be burned and cast into the sea.

Given at Konstantinoupolis, on the eighth of the Ides of February, under the consulship of Patricius. ”

8J0NKyM.jpg

[size=+1]Edictum III (on the subject of xenoi)[/size]

Since the the year of Our Lord 1258 when the accursed savages from the Far West arrived on the shores of Iberia, the Christendom has been besieged. The xenoi are the cause of the great misery of faithful Christians and citizens of the Imperium Romanum. Let there be no safe place for them within the imperial limes. Let there be no mercy for them on the field of battle and on the fields and within city walls alike. Let not a single xenos be allowed to continue his existence in peace under Our authority.

(1) Let all adult xenoi, especially those living in African themata, be seized immediately. Let their nose and ears be slit, let their eyes be removed from their bodies, let them be subjugated to most severe punishment prescribed by law to those guilty of high treason and here, let their corpses be burned to remove the stain of Evil from the Imperium. Let no man or woman suffer their presence.

(2) Let all xenoi male children be castrated and taken away from their xenoi parents to serve the Imperium as slaves so that officers of the Imperial Army may understand filthy language and customs of the xenoi so that they can more easily fight against the savages. They shall also be used to perform the worst kind of work unworthy of free man, such as working in mines. Let all xenoi female children by blinded and taken away from their xenoi parents to serve the Imperium as slaves as the governors of themata see fit.

(3) Let no Roman commit carnal sin with the xenoi women or children, for it's an abominable crime in the eyes of the Lord. Let everyone who commits such heinous crime be flogged with fifty lashes.

(4) In times of war let not a single xenos be spared for their deserve only death and disdain like ferocious and poisonous rabid beasts.

(5) Let every citizen of the Imperium Romanum who worships the false dark gods of xenoi be punished like the adult xenoi are, that is by mutilation and burning. Let those guilty of this crime suffer greatly during the interrogation so that their accomplices may be found and examined during a fair trial before the court of law as all Romans are. If found guilty, they should be mutilated and burned as well.

Given at Konstantinoupolis, on the ...................., in the year of Our Lord .................... . ”

hdEBXnK.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm back! :)

More good news:

1. I'm proud to announce that "This is Madness" has been nominated to the AARland Choice Awards (CK2, Q1 20014)! I would like to thank everyone who voted for me and my work - your support is what helps me to motivate myself. Thanks guys, you are great!

2. From now on there will be new chapter every weekend (including this weekend) until the CK2 part of the story is over.

And now long overdue responses to your comments:

I wonder what Saint Markos would think about using MechJeb ... :p ( just kidding :D I really need to pick up KSP sometime again. Oh and nice AAR there . The second Epilogue is really good ... )
Hey, it's not cheating if the astronauts IRL do this... right? :D Thank you very much: the other AAR is now completed so you can read the last part of the Epilogue as well.
This is amazing I love it, to bad i can't play CK2 till the computer i play it on gets fixed or my sister brings back the other computer.
Hey its your first post.Welcome to the forum!
Welcome to the forums, all you have to do is give knowing acknowledgement for people complaining about never ending Grant Tournaments.
I've been playing the game and using the forum for a while, i just don't post,I would do an AAR(I have 200 hours in game so i think i'm qualified enough for it) but i'm not verry good at taking alot of pictures
Welcome to the forum Skritdlez and thank you for the kind words :)
Hey, I've been following your AAR for a while and I must say that is a really good story. There is a couple of AAR that were inspired by yours, so you must feel really proud of your work. Keep writting because the people that read this is a lot (including me, haha). I would like to write my own roman story, but my english is not so good to make an interesting and somewhat detailed story like I like to write, so it will have to be enough read yours and some others here.

Good luck, and that Saint Markos protect us all.

P.S: woohooo, first post! :D
Hey! Another new forumite! Welcome and come enjoy the ride with us! CzoklettMuss is acting as a gateway drug for AARLand, woohoo! ;)
Seriously though, I think it shows something that this AAR is drawing in a good number of people who have just started exploring the forums. You're doing a great job showcasing a great game, CzoklettMuss. :)
Thank you very much and welcome Leandor! I'm really glad to hear this from you in your first post - I myself joined the forum and bought CK2 and later EU4 because of some high quality AARs, so it makes it even better when my work can be just as inspiring. I'm proud that my humble writings help to showcase CK2, though I hope it's not as addictive as drugs since there was a long brake between the last update and what I posted today. But hey, at least you won't OD!
And just like Stuyvesant said, prepare for quite a ride - in the grim darkness of the Crumbling Europe there is only dark grimness ;)
Imperium Dominatus!
Just bumping this thread up :D
Glory to the Angeloi! :)
"Crusader Kings II" made me love the Byzantine Empire more than the actual united Roman Empire. If only we could remove kebab and return the glories of Byzantium to the world...
Also, one does not simply refer to Constantinople as "Istanbul".
The Irony is that 'Istanbul' is a mangled up version of Greek which translates as 'Is tin Poli' or literally 'to the City'. Or so I have been told.
'Is tin Poli' is syntactically correct though as far my Greek knowledge goes so its plausible.
"Ist-an-bul"? What heresy is this?
I like your long-term goals. Assuming you can keep the Hordes and the Evil Aztecs somewhat close to their CK2-level of power, it should take you quite a while to achieve those goals. :) I can just see the final update, in which the Emperor leads his units into Tenochtitlan and razes those blasphemous sacrificial pyramids to the ground. :)
It would be glorious. However, considering hopeless strategic position of the Imperium and EU4 mechanics (manpower) one failed war will be even more dangerous since AI will attack me on all fronts. Let's pray to Saint Markos that this would never happen.
Ahhhhhh! The suspense is killing me!
Sorry!
Before we had the xenoi, the barbarians, the doukai .... Now Wealth of Nations has caught the attention of CzokletMuss ! :D
Kinda :p Though I have to admit I underestimated the amount of work this particular chapter is going to require. It took 2-3 times as long as normally, plus I didn't have much time in the last few weeks. So there's that.
Yeah, better to work on infrastructure than expand. The lands have been ruled by Xenoi for many years, and many have given up their faith in the name of the cruel Nahua Gods. If anything, the Empire must work on delivering the word of the Holy Church, as championed by the mighty Saint Markos (may his soul be blessed with peace) to the other Xenoi who live in fear under Nahua domination.
That's something to debate. While I agree that Hadrian wasn't one of the empires greatest general, he was in my opinion a superb administrator who for example reformed the administration from what was de facto the private chancellery of the Princeps to a professional public government. Or took care of a kind of empire wide urban development program.

It might be a case that a better military would have been able – or to be more precise willing – to keep Trajans Borders. But there are some things to keep in mind: First, even Trajan couldn't hold his conquests. He lost Armenia and Mesopotamia already 116, the same year he had founded those two provinces (he had conquered these territories since 113). Second: Hadrian didn't lost many of the other conquests of Trajan but simply took the borders back (except in Dakia).

One can argue, if this was clever, but the fact was, that the empire was in a rough time. They had gotten a beating from the Parthians, there were near constant attacks from local tribes at all borders of the empire, which of course weren’t threatening in itself but a lot small pinpricks that sapped the military power of the empire and there were internal problems like first uprisings in the middle east that would later culminate in the Bar-Kochba-Umprising. The imperial military power was at this time still at a high that surpasses later times, but it was desperately needed in the empire as it where.

According to Tacitus, even the first emperor Augustus had advised to keep the empire in his borders (see Tacitus Annales 1.11). But then here I would agree that politics shouldn't orientate itself on the counsel of a guy who died a century ago.
This is one of the reasons I enjoy being a member of this forum - where else can one participate in a discussion like this? Well, there are history forums of course but with possiblities which CK2 gives us we can try to change the history as we see fit and then show the results to each other. Ain't that great? :)

Anyways, considering the borders and expansion in EU4 - this is just a provisional plan (like the rest of them). I think that when it comes to this, Augustus will ask the Senate for council. Assuming mods will agree for EU4 part of the story to be interactive, you will decide about such things. And there will be a lot of questions to be answered. Shall the Imperium integrate the Orthodox states or shall it abandon them to their fate? Shall it expand as much as it can or shall it focus on internal integrity? Shall it conquer the West, the East, the North or the South? These and other matters will be the subject of council from the Imperial Senate :)

Let us all rejoice for the return of the Angeloi !
About the Synod, I have to say that it the fate reserved to the Xenoi is harsh and reminds me of some 20th century political regimes but well the Imperium is in a dire situation and the harsher the medicine the better recovery ! :D
The last beacon of civilisation must endure !

Hum, the hardline won the Synod in all fronts ;) But again, some clarifications are needed. As you already pointed in other chapters, there are a bunch of dynasties that only "converted" to the Xenoi gods to assure survival ( I do remeber specifically the Idrisids, but there should be more ). If ... err, I mean, when Basileia recovers those lands, what will be done with them?. They technically aren't Xenoi , but just humans that were forced to live under their yoke ... ;)

TBH I would have liked a chapter about what to do with non-Xenoi and non-islamic foreigners with some detail. You in game know about China ( Cathay ), India ( Hindustan ) , and due to Sunset Invasion, the Plains tribes and the Incas. Maybe the Basileia should start thinking about reaching those to rally them against the Xenoi, as the defender of God Creation ;)

TBH I would have liked a chapter about what to do with non-Xenoi and non-islamic foreigners with some detail. You in game know about China ( Cathay ), India ( Hindustan ) , and due to Sunset Invasion, the Plains tribes and the Incas. Maybe the Basileia should start thinking about reaching those to rally them against the Xenoi, as the defender of God Creation ;)

But aren't the Incas considered Xenoi as well ?

This is madness indeed...Its unfathomable that Orthodox Christians would decree other humans soulless. The Imperium is treading a very very dark path. It seems that they are losing their selves in their quest for survival, even setting up inquisitions....Lets hope that after the danger is past enlightenment will follow and they will rectify their mistakes, or God will abandon his children in disgust...

But aren't the Incas considered Xenoi as well ?
That is what I would like to see clarified ;) The Inca in Sunset invasion timeline are said to have suffered a Aztec invasion as well, but they repelled it with Gunpowder weapons ( yeah, right, they invented or imported gunpowder ). Given that they should not have much love for the Aztecs, that Inca did not sacrificed humans to the gods and that the Inca did not threatened the Basileia, I assume that they would not be considered Xenoi in the terms used in this chapter ( they could even be this timeline counterpart to our Pester John ) ... More it does seem that the intolerance of the chapter above only applies to the Aztecs and the Muslims ( note the pardonning of the Jews and the complete absence of reference to the Tengri rulers ) .

Last edited: