• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is a province called Karvuna....KARVUNA.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I cant paste enough Rofls for that. :D

In Greek it translates as coal. We also use the term when we want to say a person is dummy.

''Man you are burning coals?" => Καις κάρβουνο?

There is a province called Karvuna....KARVUNA.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I cant paste enough Rofls for that. :D

In Greek it translates as coal. We also use the term when we want to say a person is dummy.

''Man you are burning coals?" => Καις κάρβουνο?

The Latin Empire didn't leave much for the Bulgarians to work with...

ZqZGCR5.png

The Proud duke of Karvuna

OK that is good and well, Explain to me though: How the f* did Scotland took Morea?

EDIT: He is definently burning coals :D

Guys, this is thread for my AAR, not this written by Enli :) So please discuss this in a proper thread, not here - it may be confusing for new readers.

I read your novel for two straight hours, rooting for the Byzantines and gripped by your mastery of the English language. You make it all seem so real.

I can't read anymore tonight. I must rest, but mark my words; I will read this whole story. All eighteen pages.

I'm pretty disappointed by this AAR to be honest. Its a good CK2 game no doubt but as a story it lacks a lot of tension. Watching screenshots of 50k troops pounding on 20k enemies stops being novel after the 10th time. There are no serious setbacks suffered, not a single war lost. Even intrigue managed to be dull and that was with several civil wars. One of the few interesting bits was watching the encroachment of hordes but they turned out to be paper tiger, only looking big but losing every war.

It had potential but I was underwhelmed by the execution. The story could have been much better.

Then again to be fair your AAR is being overshadowed by mighty predecessors, in particular the finished CK1 ARR called Rome ARRisen (which I highly recommend any good Byzantine fan to give a try); better narrative/story, characters, intrigue and wars. Some of the music and image links are broken from age but there was a lot of effort there. I'll be brutally honest, I find the story from that old AAR much more memorable than this one. Its been nearly two years since I read it but I still remember major events and characters.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?319347-Rome-AARisen-a-Byzantine-AAR&daysprune=365

Reactions:
To be honest that is pretty much problem is core game. Since ck2 is only about relations between characters and if your realm happens to be large there will always be a civil war or two after succession. No centuries old family ties, no blood revenge and no deeper internal politics.

Couple of times I have asked myself, oh another civil war?!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Guys, this is thread for my AAR, not this written by Enli :) So please discuss this in a proper thread, not here - it may be confusing for new readers.

I'm sorry, won't happen again...

I'm pretty disappointed by this AAR to be honest. Its a good CK2 game no doubt but as a story it lacks a lot of tension. Watching screenshots of 50k troops pounding on 20k enemies stops being novel after the 10th time. There are no serious setbacks suffered, not a single war lost. Even intrigue managed to be dull and that was with several civil wars. One of the few interesting bits was watching the encroachment of hordes but they turned out to be paper tiger, only looking big but losing every war.

It had potential but I was underwhelmed by the execution. The story could have been much better.

Then again to be fair your AAR is being overshadowed by mighty predecessors, in particular the finished CK1 ARR called Rome ARRisen (which I highly recommend any good Byzantine fan to give a try); better narrative/story, characters, intrigue and wars. Some of the music and image links are broken from age but there was a lot of effort there. I'll be brutally honest, I find the story from that old AAR much more memorable than this one. Its been nearly two years since I read it but I still remember major events and characters.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?319347-Rome-AARisen-a-Byzantine-AAR&daysprune=365

Well, I really don't agree to that. Sure the story may appear sometime repetitive, but I find that the author manage to make the reader thrive with the destiny of the bizantine empire, to see the hordes grow and grow more powerful. Even if the byzantines win a lot of war, each defeat can be the beginning of the end. Look at the lost great holy war for Bulgaria... Who knows what will happen ?

In terme of stylistic approach, the author manage to create a nice background of religious intolerance, neverending state of war world, and make the byzantine nobility looks like crabs in a basket, waiting for an opportunity to strike the emperor. The later is almost always cruel and deceitful, which is reflected by the difference between a plot success screen, and the "official" story about the plot. It is a very cynical approach. How many time have we seen a princess of the byzantine empire puppeted as a claimant to the throne killed by the player, when the story tells that hated Aztec did the work ? For me, it is brilliant and definitively the style of the author.

Yet, being like "meh, people did better things before" is weird... Shall that mean that each masterpiece is the end of history? Look at the lord of the rings? It is certainly, for me, one of the major fantasy novel, if not the greatest (personal opinion). Yet I won't tell other fantasy authors something like "why are you bothering writing ? Everything has been done already.". I haven't read the AAR you are pointing, but I will give a look. Anyway, whatever the quality of the AAR will be, I know I won't stop reading and following this one.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Sorry me no mean to, I just had some fun :(

Sorry but I don't agree to that. First of all nobody said that this AAR had to be the best AAR ever. After all I doubt the OP was attempting to write a novel. Given what it is ( the depiction of a strategy game) the effort and style put into creating a coherent and entertaining story are equally superb. Usually I don't even bother to read AARs (much more to a game I haven't played yet, such as this) but the style of the author captivated me.

I have to reiterate what some posters wrote. I think that this AAR is great. The style is very nice. I also like how he 'retell' events in new perspectives even if it's not really true, for e.g: assassinating someone and narrating the story as if it was rumour or a plot to blame the main character. I haven't read a lot of AAR, but this one strikes as an awesome piece of work.

Kudos to the OP.

I'm sorry, won't happen again...
Sorry me no mean to, I just had some fun :(
No problem guys, chill. BTW you just had to start your AAR after the Fourth Crusade and Fall of Konstantioupolis, didn't you? :p
I read your novel for two straight hours, rooting for the Byzantines and gripped by your mastery of the English language. You make it all seem so real.
I can't read anymore tonight. I must rest, but mark my words; I will read this whole story. All eighteen pages.
Thank you very much! Comments like this give me new energy to write :)

To be honest that is pretty much problem is core game. Since ck2 is only about relations between characters and if your realm happens to be large there will always be a civil war or two after succession. No centuries old family ties, no blood revenge and no deeper internal politics.

Couple of times I have asked myself, oh another civil war?!

Well, I really don't agree to that. Sure the story may appear sometime repetitive, but I find that the author manage to make the reader thrive with the destiny of the bizantine empire, to see the hordes grow and grow more powerful. Even if the byzantines win a lot of war, each defeat can be the beginning of the end. Look at the lost great holy war for Bulgaria... Who knows what will happen ?

In terme of stylistic approach, the author manage to create a nice background of religious intolerance, neverending state of war world, and make the byzantine nobility looks like crabs in a basket, waiting for an opportunity to strike the emperor. The later is almost always cruel and deceitful, which is reflected by the difference between a plot success screen, and the "official" story about the plot. It is a very cynical approach. How many time have we seen a princess of the byzantine empire puppeted as a claimant to the throne killed by the player, when the story tells that hated Aztec did the work ? For me, it is brilliant and definitively the style of the author.

Yet, being like "meh, people did better things before" is weird... Shall that mean that each masterpiece is the end of history? Look at the lord of the rings? It is certainly, for me, one of the major fantasy novel, if not the greatest (personal opinion). Yet I won't tell other fantasy authors something like "why are you bothering writing ? Everything has been done already.". I haven't read the AAR you are pointing, but I will give a look. Anyway, whatever the quality of the AAR will be, I know I won't stop reading and following this one.
This is truly my favorite AAR. The dystopian future of Europe and the Paranoid, Militaristic, and Desperate Regime Holy, wonderful successor to the Roman Empire as founded my the glorious Saint Markos Angelos!
Sorry but I don't agree to that. First of all nobody said that this AAR had to be the best AAR ever. After all I doubt the OP was attempting to write a novel. Given what it is ( the depiction of a strategy game) the effort and style put into creating a coherent and entertaining story are equally superb. Usually I don't even bother to read AARs (much more to a game I haven't played yet, such as this) but the style of the author captivated me.
I have to reiterate what some posters wrote. I think that this AAR is great. The style is very nice. I also like how he 'retell' events in new perspectives even if it's not really true, for e.g: assassinating someone and narrating the story as if it was rumour or a plot to blame the main character. I haven't read a lot of AAR, but this one strikes as an awesome piece of work.
Kudos to the OP.
First of all, thank you very much for the kind words, it's very nice to read this - I'm glad that you enjoy the story :)
Second of all - mdman1, everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I'm always open to a critic view on my work. However I prefer such criticism to be constructive. That is I would like you to not only express your dissatisfaction with this AAR but also to point out why it's so lame, for instance what exactly makes it boring (from your perspective) or why intruiges are dull and so on. This would give me a chance to improve myself.
Thirdly, I think you expect something else than what I can deliver. This is not a book nor it is a novel - this is AAR. After Action Report. First there is Action (playing the game) and After it there is a Report (writing down what happened plus some narrative). Let me repeat - this is not a book. In novel author has a total control over the world and all characters. In AAR I can only make some plans and hope that RNG won't screw them and we all know how cruel RNG can be sometimes. So instead of control there is a chance - a probability. In book one can create complicated intruiges, put Chekhov's guns, red herrings, create complicated story arcs or just put characters in a very tough sitatutions knowing that they will make it since the author wants so. In CK2 - especially in Ironman - I have no such luxury and I'm forced to improvise and react rather than execute my idea. In non-Ironman I could use console to change things (buff enemies) or load as them and declare war on myself. Realm needs some shake up? I can always imprison 10 random courtiers and face total civil war. I can surrender to every war declared on me so that things can be "interesting". But this is AAR, not a story on its own using images from the game (until I made a book of it, of course!) so I won't be playing reckless just to make things interesting plus I started as OPM in 1066 but the AAR started in 1264 when I was already in charge of the Imperium so obviously there wasn't as much typical "from zero to hero" struggle. I've played 800 hours in CK2 so I guess I'm just good at the game, therefore I don't have that big problems with keeping the realm together. So you may find longer periods of peace boring - but hey, the Romaioi surely enjoy rare moments when they don't have to fight the invaders!

And what's most important - this AAR is spanning from 1066 (Chronicles) to (hopefully) 1820, so there are a lot of chapters coming. Maybe you'll change your mind :) Speaking of which:

[size=+2]IMPORTANT[/size]
uup4asB.jpg

As I said, I'm playing till the end of the game this weekend - but than this happened. The error prevents me from saving since (probably) there are problems with Steam Cloud sync. However, I was clever enough to make a backup copy of the save every time I started the game since the last time there were problems with it. So luckily currently I have a nice copied save from 1 January 1434 and its even in Ironman (autosave every month and so on) but it'll be stored locally and without Cloud sync. So yeah, technical problems but I was prepared for it and the good news is I will reach the end date (11 November 1444) in Ironman :)

Last edited:
Surely sabotage by the devious Aztecs. Or the barbarians of the Ilkhanate!

Yes! It is surely a plot by the savages from the Far West or the filthy barbarians of the East or a collusion between both to bring destruction and doom to the good Romanoi and the glorious Imperium Romanum! Death to these barbarians! Deus Veult! Our Lord Iesus Kristos shall watch over us!

Yes! It is surely a plot by the savages from the Far West or the filthy barbarians of the East or a collusion between both to bring destruction and doom to the good Romanoi and the glorious Imperium Romanum! Death to these barbarians! Deus Veult! Our Lord Iesus Kristos shall watch over us!

I knew those savage barbarians were technologically advanced but now I have the image of an aztec nerd in mexico sitting in front of a pc from the 90s trying to hack the imperium stuck in my head

No problem guys, chill. BTW you just had to start your AAR after the Fourth Crusade and Fall of Konstantioupolis, didn't you? :p

Is this a trap?

Thank you very much! Comments like this give me new energy to write :)

Yay!
First of all, thank you very much for the kind words, it's very nice to read this - I'm glad that you enjoy the story :)

Very well written!

Second of all - mdman1, everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I'm always open to a critic view on my work. However I prefer such criticism to be constructive. That is I would like you to not only express your dissatisfaction with this AAR but also to point out why it's so lame, for instance what exactly makes it boring (from your perspective) or why intruiges are dull and so on. This would give me a chance to improve myself.

A noble response fitting for the restorer of Rome.

Thirdly, I think you expect something else than what I can deliver. This is not a book nor it is a novel - this is AAR. After Action Report. First there is Action (playing the game) and After it there is a Report (writing down what happened plus some narrative). Let me repeat - this is not a book. In novel author has a total control over the world and all characters. In AAR I can only make some plans and hope that RNG won't screw them and we all know how cruel RNG can be sometimes. So instead of control there is a chance - a probability. In book one can create complicated intruiges, put Chekhov's guns, red herrings, create complicated story arcs or just put characters in a very tough sitatutions knowing that they will make it since the author wants so. In CK2 - especially in Ironman - I have no such luxury and I'm forced to improvise and react rather than execute my idea. In non-Ironman I could use console to change things (buff enemies) or load as them and declare war on myself. Realm needs some shake up? I can always imprison 10 random courtiers and face total civil war. I can surrender to every war declared on me so that things can be "interesting". But this is AAR, not a story on its own using images from the game (until I made a book of it, of course!) so I won't be playing reckless just to make things interesting plus I started as OPM in 1066 but the AAR started in 1264 when I was already in charge of the Imperium so obviously there wasn't as much typical "from zero to hero" struggle. I've played 800 hours in CK2 so I guess I'm just good at the game, therefore I don't have that big problems with keeping the realm together. So you may find longer periods of peace boring - but hey, the Romaioi surely enjoy rare moments when they don't have to fight the invaders!

You've got me interested in every chapter. This and the one about the "Piglets roasting" Northumbria one are pretty much the only ones I read every word in every chapter, and then the comments.

And what's most important - this AAR is spanning from 1066 (Chronicles) to (hopefully) 1820, so there are a lot of chapters coming. Maybe you'll change your mind :)

Keep 'em coming!

So yeah, technical problems but I was prepared for it and the good news is I will reach the end date (11 November 1444) in Ironman :)

Your empire is constantly in danger on all sides, no doubt the work of the Bishop of Rome.

Is this a trap?
Your empire is constantly in danger on all sides, no doubt the work of the Bishop of Rome.

Did he resort to hacking now? No surprised there, the Germans captured a shipment of Cocaine been send to the Vatican today :D
So the ends justify the means it seems...

Last edited: