• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Keep in mind however the fact that so far >90% of all chapters and descriptions were told from Roman perspective. Not much time has been spent on motivations, ideas etc. of other powers, which is I'm looking forward to explore in the future :)

Reactions:
That's what I had in mind when I was saying the above. No one is White, the minor powers are various shades of Gray, the Imperium is likely a darker Gray, the Hordes are Black, and the Xenoi is either Black or, due to how far removed their mentality is compared to the rest of Europe, is in the Blue and Orange territory.
You mean Purple and Blood Orange. The sacrifices have tainted the colors. ;)

Manor of the House Este-Ravenna

That's going to be great. His demes hates him (since Mandromenos is gone he is pretty much on his own), he can just have his guards organize an interesting new version of a faction meeting though, I guess.

There will be a meeting for Blues in prison due time

And I just wanted to say that the Blues are probably going to meet in some run-down cellar or something :D

Not much time has been spent on motivations, ideas etc. of other powers, which is I'm looking forward to explore in the future

Another perspective in ISF? That's heresy stemming directly from the AARgustus himself. But it will be great to learn more about the world. That Xenoi vision update was already rather great to read.

{{That was in jest, I apologize if that wasn't clear. I'm very much aware of the need for variation, I've played a pragmatic heretic, a xenophobic religious nut, and only now am I playing someone insane.

You know, I was planning to save this for a downtime during a break in sessions, but I think it's fitting now.

I've been basing my characters on aspects of the Imperium itself. Dominico was ambitious and pragmatic like the Imperium itself in 1444, always thinking of what would best improve the situation of the country. Christoforo was in the Senate during the exploration period, yes, but the intentions of the Senate did not reflect the Increasing zealotry, bigotry and religious tension in the Imprrium, do Christoforo's job was to be a counter-weight.

Alexius, on the other hand, is the incarnation of everything bad about and in the Imperium. He is weaker militarily and economically than his predecessors. He is suspicious and a plotter like the dynatoi parasites. He is corrupt like the Senate. He is religiously deviant (though in which way is in question) like the Angelodouli. And he is a cannibal because the Imperium has been devouring itself for decades, culminating in the Hoi Polli War.

But...

There is a faint hope that the Imperium can recover. Just as there is there hope Alexius can become a good father and a good citizen. Just like Alexius' medication, that hope is slim and easily disrupted. If Cherson falls, if Angelina triggers a civil war, everything will be ruined and the old evils will return, to both Alexius and the Imperium.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this trend, it depends on how the Imperium progresses.

This wasn't meant to be some big reveal or anything, I just thought it was interesting to hear how other people construct their characters. I hope you found this interesting as well. I try to put a lot of thought into my characters, as do a lot of people.}}
Well it was interesting, at least for me. When I was creating character, it seemed to me that despite grimdark theme of the world, most senators seem to go on their business like nothing, just another day in the protection of the Angeloi. Which it is, actually.o_O Wars in all frontiers? Plague killing piles of population? Murderous dynatoi and heresy cases? C'est la vie. Sure, they react... it affect's them. They have things to lose, they have motivations, secrets, feelings and goals. But in midst of all, they continue living.

You seem to have taken this adaptation even more far. Characters who are not mere part of the society, but embody it. Not just products, but also mirrors.

Theon was meant to answer this. He is a revenant in sense. A man who was patronized and whose ideals were destroyed, jaded, aloof, awkward, hammered by his guilt and own instincts and feeling of powerlessness, trying grasp dimmest ray of light when world around is evaporating. I wanted to invoke trauma, despair and grief the people in this world must see and experience.

So you see, the duel thing was basically Czoklet waving red flag. If Muzaka let that go, he would betray everything he has become. I find it bit ironic that Colombo, who is symbol of corruption, and Muzaka, token of suffering, are put against each other without any interaction between them. As if it was fated.:D

Did that make any sense?

Last edited:
And I thought that I put a lot of thought in my House and characters, well done.

Thanks for the kind words. Writing is my second passion after History.

Well it was interesting, at least for me. When I was creating character, it seemed to me that despite grimdark theme of the world, most senators seem to go on their business like nothing, just another day in the protection of the Angeloi. Which it is, actually.o_O Wars in all frontiers? Plague killing piles of population? Murderous dynatoi and heresy cases? C'est la vie. Sure, they react... it affect's them. They have things to lose, they have motivations, secrets, feelings and goals. But in midst of all, they continue living.

You seem to have taken this adaptation even more far. Characters who are not mere part of the society, but embody it. Not just products, but also mirrors.

Theon was meant to answer this. He is a revenant in sense. A man who was patronized and whose ideals were destroyed, jaded, aloof, awkward, hammered by his guilt and own instincts and feeling of powerlessness, trying grasp dimmest ray of light when world around is evaporating. I wanted to capitalize in trauma, despair and grief the people in this world must see and experience.

So you see, this duel thing was basically Czoklet waving red flag. If Muzaka let that go, he would betray everything he has become. I find it bit ironic that Colombo, who is symbol of corruption, and Muzaka, symbol of suffering, are put against each other without any interaction between them. As if it was fated.:D

Do I make any sense?

That's... actually quite beautiful, like Muzaka would be confronting all that has caused his suffering and torment by dueling Alexius. I'm reminded of The Princess Bride with the "you killed my father, prepare to die" emotion, except on a more existential and philosophical level. I'd almost feel bad for winning the duel now, since it would essentially be Muzaka being defeated by his suffering.

TLDR: "It's like poetry, it rhymes" @CzokletMuss :D

Reactions:
Fix some words and get quoted while doing that. .:oops:

Muzaka is not some pure victim, he is also witness and perpetrator. Killing would actually be a favor, he would die fighting what believes in and be free from his own conscience. Leave him alive, though...

That's going to be great. His demes hates him (since Mandromenos is gone he is pretty much on his own), he can just have his guards organize an interesting new version of a faction meeting though, I guess.

I really didn't have a say in the matter, but it likely wouldn't have changed anything. Philaretos would have opportunistically joined in on any plot on Este-Ravenna due to his detainment of his brother Alexandros. And any other Red who attended the 1560 Faction Meeting, if he could get away with it. You have to remember that Philaretos does not have a full account of the events since Alexandros arrived at the Red Meeting in 1560 (He is suspicious of a cover up since his brother was detained from the Red Meeting to the Senate Meeting where he died, Alexandros didn't have the opportunity to send a message. Philaretos, without evidence of his brother's insanity, distrusts the accounts told to him). I do have to ask, what are the rules concerning the dagger I was given. Do I have it with me at all times? Can a use it freely?

Theon was meant to answer this. He is a revenant in sense. A man who was patronized and whose ideals were destroyed, jaded, aloof, awkward, hammered by his guilt and own instincts and feeling of powerlessness, trying grasp dimmest ray of light when world around is evaporating. I wanted to invoke trauma, despair and grief the people in this world must see and experience.

So you see, the duel thing was basically Czoklet waving red flag. If Muzaka let that go, he would betray everything he has become. I find it bit ironic that Colombo, who is symbol of corruption, and Muzaka, token of suffering, are put against each other without any interaction between them. As if it was fated.:D

Did that make any sense?

Thanks for the kind words. Writing is my second passion after History.

That's... actually quite beautiful, like Muzaka would be confronting all that has caused his suffering and torment by dueling Alexius. I'm reminded of The Princess Bride with the "you killed my father, prepare to die" emotion, except on a more existential and philosophical level. I'd almost feel bad for winning the duel now, since it would essentially be Muzaka being defeated by his suffering.

I like how these little sub-plots evolve and progress in these greater stories, while still relating to the larger story.

It's also interesting to hear how people design their characters. I like to think of Belissarios as the sheltered kid of the Senate - he was protected from plagues and riots and Mongols for his whole life, seeing his entire fairly large family fall apart. Now because of being head of the house and the sizabke Dalassenos bribes gifts he can do what he wants, he spends excessively and, despite being a history nerd has very little regard for his economic and personal safety, being more concerned about his wallet first, and the Imperium second.

He spends too much time in the past and enjoying the present that he worries about the future. How about you?

I like how these little sub-plots evolve and progress in these greater stories, while still relating to the larger story.

It's also interesting to hear how people design their characters. I like to think of Belissarios as the sheltered kid of the Senate - he was protected from plagues and riots and Mongols for his whole life, seeing his entire fairly large family fall apart. Now because of being head of the house and the sizabke Dalassenos bribes gifts he can do what he wants, he spends excessively and, despite being a history nerd has very little regard for his economic and personal safety, being more concerned about his wallet first, and the Imperium second.

He spends too much time in the past and enjoying the present that he worries about the future. How about you?

I rather enjoy how at last we have a Colombo about to duel a guy who is (to a certain extent) being supported by the Reds.

Given the long running Red vs Blue conflict it doesn't seem that surprising that we're the ones who are about to be spilling blood, and the Colombos have gone from the head of the Reds to (seemingly) the most corrupt of the Blues.

It feels rather fitting.

{{That was in jest, I apologize if that wasn't clear. I'm very much aware of the need for variation, I've played a pragmatic heretic, a xenophobic religious nut, and only now am I playing someone insane.

You know, I was planning to save this for a downtime during a break in sessions, but I think it's fitting now.

I've been basing my characters on aspects of the Imperium itself. Dominico was ambitious and pragmatic like the Imperium itself in 1444, always thinking of what would best improve the situation of the country. Christoforo was in the Senate during the exploration period, yes, but the intentions of the Senate did not reflect the Increasing zealotry, bigotry and religious tension in the Imprrium, do Christoforo's job was to be a counter-weight.

Alexius, on the other hand, is the incarnation of everything bad about and in the Imperium. He is weaker militarily and economically than his predecessors. He is suspicious and a plotter like the dynatoi parasites. He is corrupt like the Senate. He is religiously deviant (though in which way is in question) like the Angelodouli. And he is a cannibal because the Imperium has been devouring itself for decades, culminating in the Hoi Polli War.

But...

There is a faint hope that the Imperium can recover. Just as there is there hope Alexius can become a good father and a good citizen. Just like Alexius' medication, that hope is slim and easily disrupted. If Cherson falls, if Angelina triggers a civil war, everything will be ruined and the old evils will return, to both Alexius and the Imperium.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this trend, it depends on how the Imperium progresses.

This wasn't meant to be some big reveal or anything, I just thought it was interesting to hear how other people construct their characters. I hope you found this interesting as well. I try to put a lot of thought into my characters, as do a lot of people.}}

{{Excepting that jerk last session who joined the AAR with, apparently, the sole purpose of killing me, and then when he couldn't, left. How charming.}}
That's a great way of designing characters. Well done.
Most of my characters were pretty similiar- Blue rational people trying to do stuff in a crazy Senate. I think my next one is going to be unique though...
I see my first character, Anastasios, as a 'test' to roleplaying in the Senate, a great Salamis who managed to gain a lot of power and is now like a legendary figure for the house. Antiochos was pretty bland I think, I don't even remember anything unique he did. Herakleios died in his first session but he was supposed to be a fearsome sailor. Nikephoros is more interesting- he has gone from a green boy coming from hiding, hysterical about his hygiene to a gruff war veteran. Also, I think, the youngest Senator in history. He could have remained a Blue sailor if he joined the Navy instead of the army, but it seems a sea-sickness can do a lot.

Last edited:
My own characters are far more impulsive than @luciusmalfoy012 , but I did generally try to reflect the situation in Italy in thinking about the characters' history and surroundings and also how the events in the Senate would affect the family's ambitions and characters- I started with a lazy dandy who just wanted to get along with his life in comfort, then went to a decadent self-serving philanderer, both of whom are supposed to represent some of the worst aspects of an aristocracy bloated by wealth and power and the general self-serving greed of the Rome of the times. Then I went to a hardcore army man because Italy and the Empire went to hell and as a "puritan" reaction against the previous excesses, and now I'm going to a fat, bookish monk because of the Synod, and because it makes a good contrast and I felt like I wanted to do someone who was a bit more idealistic for once.

The meetings will be quite awkward, even with all the guards you can guarantee I'll be bringing. Can I officially retire after this, or am I going to be "retired" by some plot?

Hadrianos was quite the Renaissance noble-merchant : interested in classics, open minded but a real cunning man when it came to money, lending at "good rates" to the state and his clients.
Alexandros was clearly more an arrogant noble who thought that the Demes was his and deeply convinced of his upper standing
Valerios was a broken man who had never been prepared to such positions and who had faced dark moments with the Plague and Riots
Now Ioannes is the bastard monk of the family who has been recalled because there is no one else to fill the job until the majority of his great-nephew.

And for your retirement @Undead Martyr :p

The Mandromenos are meant to be businessmen, captains of industry and merchants of death that produce military goods for the Imperium, part of the military industrial complex, if you will. The part where they also serve in the Army (to help promote their wares) was meant to be a secondary feature, something on the side that has taken over the main part.

Alexandros's zealotry was meant to be part of his character's story, but due to his death it has passed on to his brother (who originally didn't exist). While the Mandromenos were never a large family, the Black Death killed all of the distant cadets and left only the main line - the most militaristic of all.

Alexandros was to be an ambitious zealot, dedicated to increase his place in the world, be it through the Imperium, the Senate, or his House. Increasing any of these would have increased his own power, in his eyes. His optimism about the Senate and the Imperium proved to be a large part of his downfall.

Philaretos is more cautious and less optimistic than his brother, but still a devout Christian. He is willing to mock himself and others about the situation that they are in as a way to express his malcontent of the situation. He is eager to undo the perceived damage his brother caused, and knows that their are battles he is not able to win, for now... but he does hold on to the hope that one day things will change, that the Mandromenos will not be kept under the boots of those that he perceives as enemies.

Next up, assuming Philaretos lives long enough, is Demetrios, Philaretos's son (currently 4). Who knows what path the boy will take? He will be among the oldest who can't remember the Plague, and the rise of Sophia (who knows about the aftermath of the Synod). He may be a Spartan in shining armor representing the resurgent of the Army (or Navy, we will see if the Blues manage to keep Mandromenos in the long term), an Administrator skilled in keeping the Treasury full, a Bishop for the Church and its state, or a Merchant Prince making money off of the chaos.

At the beginning my idea with the Scipions was to create a typical military traditional family, based on roman and castillian culture and, at the same time, to play the exiled character who (at that moment I expected soon to be) get to come back to his old lands.

My second intention was simply to play a character in this amazing world and practice my English skills.

Michael was a novice in the Senate arena whose only focused purpose was to obtain a military intervention in Hispania. Nothing special about his character.

Aetius was, essentially, a improved version of Michael who failed to obtain the leadership of the red demes, although my intention was to play as leader of a red - blue alliance, so a military progressive mindset was my initial idea.

Honorious initially was going to play as Marcus Aurelius, the wish and smart guy of the family, silent, cult, logical, trying to understand every faction...but honestly, by now he has been my preferred character, the clown.

Finally, Marcus Aurelius is as described above but initially he was going to be my first blue character, although circumstances made me change my mind.

And in general I do not think too much my character, I let it flow once the session has started and then I follow it in a logical IMHO manner.

Hopefully it will work.

It's so dense, every single chapter has so many things going on.

Sophia is a key to all of this.

It's grimdark. It's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that. But we can diminish the effects of it.

It's gonna be great.
Just started reading all this. I found it while scrolling through pictures of "ck2 epic" on google. Impressive stuff
Hi there! :) I wonder what are the other results from "ck2 epic" search :p

Also - @Undead Martyr, I take it that you won't send me the description of your character's manor?

FACTION MEETING - OPENING

bXfsLO5.jpg

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby annouces

THE MEETING OF THE RED DEMES HAS BEGUN

RUMORS AND GOSSIP
Here are some pieces of information that your Faction have gathered recently. Remember that most of them are not entirely trustworthy and some of them may simply be not true:
  1. It is said that the largest host present in Ravenna apart from the tagmata of the Imperial Army are the retinues of House Komnenos, counting almost 2000 men accompanying President of the Senate.
  2. The streets of Ravenna are filled with troops – regular patrols ensure peace and safety in most parts of the city save for the poor's district where many of Sophia's followers have gathered.
  3. It is said that Excercitus Dei – militia of Angeloduloi is gathering in northern Italia not so far from Ravenna.
  4. According to rumors Zara has been burned down during the siege and is now controlled by Croatian rebels.
  5. With a sizeable part of the imperial court and most members of the Imperial Council in Ravenna with the Emperor, Megas Logothetes Manuel Komnenos is ruling over Konstantinoupolis in the name of His Imperial Majesty.
  6. Ravenna resembles a fortress under siege, with hundreds of Roman soldiers patrolling the streets and main bulk of the Imperial Army assembled in a camp just outside the city's walls.
  7. Rossetta is allegedly under siege of Mamluke rebels.
  8. A huge army of former Mongol slaves is said to be marching on Cherson, the last imperial bastion in burning Taurica.
  9. The armies of the Horde are in almost complete control of Moldau and it seems that soon the whole realm will fall to the Great Khan.
May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Isaakios Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate
25 April 1566
Manor of the House Este-Ravenna, Ravenna

You enter the chamber prepared for arrival and take your places. This is surely going to be an interesting meeting.

IMPORTANT – the meeting is for members of the Red Demes only!
No unaffiliated senators allowed.

REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING
  • Begin every post written in-character using the following template:
    Code:
    [b][size=4]Senator <name>:[/b][/size]
  • While writing in-character, you have to use italics.
  • While writing out-of-character during the Senate Session or Faction Meeting, you have to use brackets.
  • You may type „@<ForumNickname>” in your post to tag forum users (they get a notification they were mentioned in your post)

EXCERPT FROM THE RULES
Article 12 – Faction Speakers
1. Each Faction has a Speaker who represents it before the Senate and other Factions.
2. Speaker is elected among the members of his Faction by acclamation.
3. Speaker:
- proposes Senatorial Policies in the name of his Faction;
- requests a Meeting for his Faction;
- notifies members of his Faction via PM of the Meeting;

Article 13 – Faction Meeting
1. Each Faction may hold a Meeting for its members to discuss public affairs of the state between Sessions.
(...)
4. Speaker ensures order and decorum during the Meeting, while members of the Imperial Senate Guard ensure safety of the Senators.

Reactions:
Senator Marcus Aurelius Scipion:

*Marcus arrives to the house of his partner dressed with his military uniforms and a red cloak. He takes his two swords and give them to the guards of the Este-Ravenna and then speaks directly to the host:

"Hello my dear friends and thanks for your invitation. This house is really wonderful. It remembers me to my own in Milan.

It seems that I am the first one to arrive so I will take the oportunity to comment you that I would like, at some moment of the meeting, to talk alone with you about the situation of our demes and your...future as our leader. Current situation between Dynatois is dangerous and we will need to be united if we want to take part in this circus.

But let´s forget this by now and wait for the rest of our demes.

Would you invite me to some of your famous wines, my friend?
:):):) "

Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

*Leon has set aside his old plague mask and is dressed in a battered military uniform. He has been scarred by battles and the strain of trying to lead his family is weighing heavily on him. The Taurinus have been frantically shipping all their family's wealth, posessions and heirlooms to safer places in the Imperium. With the help of his fellow Reds they have scattered the family treasures in (relatively) safe monasteries, island castles, anywhere to try to preserve the family. In the meantime, Leon has been preparing for the inevitable struggle to defend Cherson against the rebels marching against the city. The pride of the Taurinus demans that the family make a stand at their ancestral home. His face is one that is weared, scarred and exhausted. Since arriving he has been trying to lobby for any aid for his family and cherson.*

*He sees Scipion and allows a small smile*

"Greetings friend, it is good to find familiar faces in distant and dangerous harbors in these dark days."

*He eagerly accepts wine and readily gulps down a bottle*

Senator Alexios Este-Ravenna (Red Demes)

The family manor is a fine example of neoclassical architecture, with graceful arches and marble facades. The family's prosperity has seen it expanded significantly and rules over a fairly large and prosperous estate. Yet the signs of the unrest are there, for a keen eye would note the unusual quality and quantity of the guards and the thick, reinforced doors...

The aging, worn out senator greets his guests in the main dining hall. Though his own faction has turned against him-
abandoned him- honor prevents more... drastic, measures, at least under his roof. These men are his guests. He must remember that, and show them proper courtesy. And ensure both he and his guards remain ever vigilant...

"Well met my colleagues. Though my familly's estate is not so grand as the Komnenoi, I hope the company will be all the more palatable."

Servants begin laying out the first courses for those already assembled.

"A rot has set into Rome. The Angelina and the Dynatoi pose a direct and decisive threat, a poison, that rots out our insides even as the foreigners look on with delight. Though I pray to God the Synod will resolve the crisis, I am skeptical that the Council will avoid bloodshed, either here or elsewhere. Heretics, we all agree, cannot be suffered to live- but an Angeloi, one whose death would trigger uprisings across half of the Imperium, what are we to do with her? Our first order of business is to decid what we as a faction should advise in regards to the heresy. I am left with many troubles and few answers but if the Red Demes- nay, the Senate itself- are to be of any relevance then we must stand and voice our opinions as one.

"The second matter, of course, is that of the Dynatoi. I have received a letter from the Komnenoi requesting my presence, indeed that of all the Demes, at his manor. I know not what the other Demes are doing but I myself will not return to that craven dog, hat in hand." His voice is contemptuous and angry. "I am done playing their games. Were we as a faction to boycott all such meetings it would send a clear message. Even better if the other Demes would stand with us, but I fear they will already have accepted such an invitation."

"And on a third order... I have heard rumors that some of our members do not wish my continued leadership, and even talk, undoubtedly overblown, of possible... plots, against myself or certain other persons of note. Unlike the Dynatoi I will not deign to cling to power over you as a tyrant- I would ask you all, now, to speak frankly as between friends. Do you wish me as your leader or no?"