• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Lazaros II Melissenos

The question is, how we can put our political weight to the best use. Individual, we are no match for even one of the Dynastoi, all together we're not as powerless, but what to do with that power?

*Lazaros again taps with his finger on the table.*

I agree, that staying truly neutral will not be possible, not at this point. But we should stay open to alternatives, maybe even act opportunistic, if a better option presents itself or our benefactor starts to show weakness. More important, we should do what we can to prevent the Dynastoi from splitting the senate. We must continue to working with our peers, be ready to make compromises, negotiate, bargain. I know, there are differences, but still... only a united senate can be a strong senate.

And that's what the Dynastoi secretly fear, I think.

Senator Andronikos Ouranos

Hmph, they may fear a united Senate, but it will be centuries before all three Demes agree on something unanimously. The Dynastoi only see the Senate as a plaything of the Emperor, something to keep an eye on but never truly fear. I am all for being pragmatic when it comes to comprises, but we must be careful not to give too much for too little gain.

I believe nonetheless that the Dynastoi underestimate us... or at least I hope so. Using them for our benefit may be a double edged sword that can easily backfire on us. So I do agree that starting to seek new horizons may be a sound plan.

Mandator:

The door to the oratory is opened by member of the archbishop's guard. A bold eunuch wearing robes of the mandatores – official messengers – of the Sacred Palace enters the oratory. He bows deeply before the assembled senators and addresses them silently.

- May Our Lords Iesus Kristos and all the saints bless you, esteemed White Speaker and noble senators. Please forgive me this interruption but I was obliged to deliver a this to you.

He reaches inside his sleeve and takes out a small letter.

- A letter from His Excellency illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos.

He makes a few steps and places the letter on the table before the White Speaker - the seal looks authentic.

- I was ordered to deliver for your response, noble spatharios. I shall await for it outside.

The man bows deeply again and backs up to the door, leaving the chapel.

{{ @ThetrueColt }}

Last edited:
Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

"And while we wait, esteemed Spatharius, I would like a word with you in private."

We can talk as soon as the cicumstances permit it. *Decius eyes the mandator as he delivers the letter*

{{
Although I would like to see di Capponi questioning Sophia as much as the next follower of this AAR I see one major problem with this idea - how can one represent Pisa and be a member of the Senate at the same time?

Shouldn't we leave that question to the RP-capabilities of Enlil? Depending on whether you are convinced or not he could become part of the synodos.}}

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes)

"Indeed Pylaeus, we do not have much of a say in this - which begs the question: Why are we here? You keep speaking of our benefactor the Megas Domestikos."

*He plays with a ring on his right hand.*

"Hopefully he shall arrive soon, and state the reason why we are gathered here."

{{Your cue, @CzokletMuss }}

Even though we are not directly part of the synodos, there may be much we can do and learn as the powerful are all assembled in a relatively small city.

Senator Andronikos Ouranos

*He shakes his head*

I still believe that the "wait and see" tactic will only lead to the White Demes getting outpaced by the dynatoi and the other Demes. But if a united front is needed, so be it.

Senator Raoul :

"I agree with our Speaker except on one thing : we won't be able to stay "neutral" if a fight erupts. For the Komnenoi and the other Senators we will be easy targets because of all the gifts we have received ; the Megas Domestikos will also surely punish us afterwards. Staying neutral is a fantasy ; we are only condemning us to be subject to the wills of others later on"

That would be the most rare incident, I just presented it as a third option in case something truly unexpected happens.

Mandator:

The door to the oratory is opened by member of the archbishop's guard. A bold eunuch wearing robes of the mandatores – official messangers – of the Sacred Palace enters the oratory. He bows deeply before the assembled senators and addresses them silently.

- May Our Lords Iesus Kristos and all the saints bless you, esteemed White Speaker and noble senators. Please forgive me this interruption but I was obliged to deliver a this to you.

- A letter from His Excellency illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos.

He makes a few steps and places the letter on the table before the White Speaker - the seal looks authentic.

- I was ordered to deliver for your response, noble spatharios. I shall await for it outside.

The man bows deeply again and backs up to the door, leaving the chapel.

{{ @ThetrueColt }}

Decius takes the letter and opens it.

{{And so it begins, I wonder what will happen}}

Letter from Isaakios Komnenos

You break the seal and read the letter:

Eis to onoma tou Patros kai tou Huiou kai tou Hagiou Pneumatos

His Excellency illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos

To most noble White Speaker, spatharios of the Sacred Palace and stratelates of Lykandos, Decius of the House Pylaeus and all noble spathariokandidatoi Senators of the White Demes

Grace and peace upon you from God our Father and Lord Iesus Kristos,

It is with great pleasure that as the President of the Imperial Senate I hereby INVITE YOU AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE WHITE DEMES to attend to a banquet I decided to organize to celebrate the commencement of the Holy Synodos in Ravenna.

The banquet shall take place in Cypress Manor outside the city. Your safety shall be ensured not only by the Imperial Senate Guard but also by retinues of my House. I give you my word as Komnenos and your President that I would not allow any harm to be inflicted upon you.

It is my wish for the noble Senators to assemble in peace and to show unity, such needed in these are perilous times. Therefore I decided to sent the same letters as the one you read to other Speakers, wishing for all Houses of the Imperial Senate to participate join me TOMORROW during the banquet.

I would like you to give your response to mandator who delivered the letter to you. He is my trusted servant and shall give it to me so that I can make preparations for the arrival of the esteeemed guests.

I wish that we meet soon.

Saint Markos bless you,

Signed by His Excellency President of the Imperial Senate Isaakios Komnenos

Amen

{{ @luciusmalfoy012 and @Undead Martyr - you receive the same letters (accounting for different titles and Demes membership of course) }}

{{Shouldn't we leave that question to the RP-capabilities of Enlil? Depending on whether you are convinced or not he could become part of the synodos.}}
{{ I meant it from a story perspective. It's like being member of US Senate AND ambassador of, say, Lithuania in United States at the same time. It's not possible really. }}

It seems like our esteemed president invits us to a banquet just outside of the city. It would appear the other demes received a letter as well. He guarantees our safety not just as the President of the Senate but also as a member of the Komnenoi. *Decius knits his brows*

I see no reason why a senator should not follow the invitation of the President of the Senate. Maybe this banquet will grant us more insight into what is going on. I will definitely attend and write up an answer. All of you are free to join me or to abstain from the meeting.

*Having said that, Decius sits down and formulates a short answer.*

Eis to onoma tou Patros kai tou Huiou kai tou Hagiou Pneumatos

Speaker of the white Demes of the Imperial Senate, spatharios of the Sacred Palace and stratelates of Lykandos, Decius of the House Pylaeus

To His Excellency illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos

Esteemed and most noble President,

may the light of St. Markos guide you.
As faction speaker of the white demes I shall follow your invitation together with every available and willing white senator to join you in Cyprus Manor. In these turbulent times it is important that the Imperial Senate does its utmost to serve the Imperium as best as it possibly can.

St. Markos guide you,

Signed by Speaker of the white Demes of the Imperial Senate Decius Pylaeus

The Angeloi Protect

*After finishing, Decius calls in the Mandator from outside the chapel, hands him the letter and sends him on his way with the best of wishes.*

{{
{{ I meant it from a story perspective. It's like being member of US Senate AND ambassador of, say, Lithuania in United States at the same time. It's not possible really. }}

I realize that it's not plausible or likely to happen and the conflict between his past and present occupations. Given his past AND the lack of Pisans at the synodos however, it is also not entirely impossible. So I thought it might have been nice to give this chance to him. Even if he was not even a true bishop in Pisae, the Patriarchs surely do not know about such a minor fact? He could try to present himself as a former bishop etc. If you don't want it, I understand ofc. }}

Senator Marius Serapis

"Well, how could we possibly refuse such a gracious invitation. Let your illustrious master know that I shall attend his celebration, and give him my sincere thanks." Now, let's hope we're not ambushed on the way to or from the feast, Marius thinks to himself. Our dear president didn't guarantee that.

{{ Even if he was not even a true bishop in Pisae, the Patriarchs surely do not know about such a minor fact? He could try to present himself as a former bishop etc. If you don't want it, I understand ofc. }}

{{Yes. That's a great plan. He should totally do that ;)}}

*After sending the Mandator on his way, Decius returns to his comrades.*

I believe that with all of the different people gathered here in Ravenna, it is only reasonable that we ensure our own safety while we are on our way to the manor. Thus, I'd like to invite all of you that will attend the banquet to gather here again early tomorrow. My personal guards will accompany us and provide the safety we might need. If any of you would like to bring their own soldiers as well, I have no obligations.

*Decius faces Senator Serapis*

There was something you wanted to talk to me about?

*Decius points his finger at a remote area far away from the table where they won't be disturbed.*

Senator Lazaros II Melissenos

*After thinking for a while, Lazaros nods in agreement.*

I will attend and meet up with you here. I to will bring my guards, although I too think, that there will be no immediate danger to us. It would be much to obvious for someone like this Komnenos.

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes)

*Addmitedly, not quite what Belissarios expected, but one should not look a gift horse in the mouth.*

"I would normally be suspicious of a Kommenos inviting us to a banquet, considering he is the President of the Senate I don't think I'm in a position to refuse. I shall go with you, Pylaeus. I trust you can keep us safe on the brief journey?"

ThetrueColt said:

{{+1}}

{{ Important - I'm having some problems with converted save in 1.11.4 (AGAIN), so if someone here who is vell-wersed in Clausewitz coding would like to give me a hand it would be great (please use PM to not clutter the thread)

Honestly I can't wait until I switch to current version of EU4, there are so many problems with the current save sometimes that it makes me disheartened... :( }}

Reactions:
Senator Marius Serapis

"Yes, Speaker, if I may take a moment of your time." He stands up and moves over to a secluded alcove. "So, Spatharios, as you well know the position of faction speaker carries with it certain benefits greater than those bestowed upon ordinary Senators, especially when that speaker leads the dominant faction in the Senate. Old Theophilus Rhadaenos was granted the patriarchy of Anthiocheia, you were made the Vice President of the Senate, amongst many other honours, and my father was permitted to found and control a monastery. The Monastery of Divine Light, as he so humbly named it."

"That may seem a small thing and yet it has proven quite valuable. For not only does it aid House Serapis in our service to our Lord and Saviour, it lets us do that without paying a single coin in taxes. Our estates have been sold or rented to the Monastery and in return the Monstery is indebted to us. They pay no taxes on their profits and we pay no taxes on the funds we withdraw from their ever expanding assets. For the last few decades that arrangement has allowed us to prosper more than any other Aristoi House, except perhaps your own. But the benefits have not been limited to House Serapis. Most of the Houses in the Demes have invested heavily into the Monastery and gain a proportional share of the gains. Our activities include everything from banking and shipping to industry and mining, but is still founded on farming since agricultural lands have become so very cheap in the current crisis. Still, our assets are wide-spread and immune from any single calamity. All, perhaps, but one. Our dear Angelina. And even against her we have contingencies."

"And so, it comes to this. Serapis and our partners have built the Monastery as part of our efforts to strengthen the White Demes and tie it together in mutual interest, but we cannot be truly united while the greatest of our Houses remain excluded. Therefore I would like to offer House Pylaeus and yourself the opportunity to invest in our humble project and take your share of the profits you can really gain nowhere else. Together we can assure the rise of all our Houses, and in time perhaps we can rival the arrogant Dynatoi who would call themselves our betters."

"You may question the morality of our business model. But keep in mind that while the Dynatoi avoid taxation by similar means they will continue to accumulate ever greater lands and powers at our expense, and they are already far too powerful. While such means are available to them we can not afford to abstain and in so doing make ourselves their victims. Until a tax reform affects all assets equally I consider us justified in our strategy."

"But let me end with a question of etiquette. You are a man of many titles, so many that I do not know how to adress you. Shall I call you Speaker, Spatharios, Senator, Pylaeus or Partner?"

{{My reasoning was that as a member of the church, I, in that regard, transcended boundaries. Yes I am a Senator of the Imperium, but I am also a Chorbishop of the Holy Orthodox Church. Representing Pisa would be through my position as a Chorbishop, not as a Senator. Much like how in the middle ages vassalage was an issue, with lords such as the Duke of Toulouse being vassals of both France and Aragon in different areas of their realm. Its sort of like doublethink, but somehow it worked. Another good example is when the Plantagenets came to power in England, they reaffirmed the lordship of the King of France over his holdings in dejure France, even though they were of the same rank. My point is not that I am loyal to both Pisa and Rome, but that it is not unheard of for such seeming conflicting interests to exist and still work out. Say if we were at war with Pisa at the time, that would be a different story, but as it stands, does not the Church exist to serve all its faithful, including those suffering under the Pisan worship of Mammon? What more, am ability to give Pisa some representation can give a unique glimpse of Orthodoxy in Pisa not normally portrayed. That is of course, if the Serene Doge would allow a Romanoi and former resident to represent the Republic. }}

{{ :eek::eek::eek: }}

{{ @CzokletMuss Sigh....

I though you knew by now that Senators have an allergy to letters. Symptoms include: beheadings, poisonings, whippings, assassination plots, and general insantity.}}

{{Also, we're all being invited to the Konmenos' house? And protection is being provided by him and the Senate guard, who are known to be owned by the Konmenoi?

Methinks he says he won't allow harm to come to us because he's going to be the one inflicting it..

I think I have the appropriate music for the occasion:

}}

Reactions:
{{ @CzokletMuss Sigh....

I though you knew by now that Senators have an allergy to letters. Symptoms include: beheadings, poisonings, whippings, assassination plots, and general insantity.}}

{{Also, we're all being invited to the Konmenos' house? And protection is being provided by him and the Senate guard, who are known to be owned by the Konmenoi?

Methinks he says he won't allow harm to come to us because he's going to be the one inflicting it..

I think I have the appropriate music for the occasion:

}}

{{This is definitely the pretext for the duel, but I wonder if anything else will happen... like our friend the Megas Domestikos telling a new addition to kill a certain Speaker before he dies by duel}}

{{Yay politics and intrigue, how I adore thee. :D}}

Reactions:
{{"wishing for all Houses of the Imperial Senate to participate join me TOMORROW during the banquet."
Does that mean that all of us are invited?}}

Senator Marius Serapis

"Yes, Speaker, if I may take a moment of your time." He stands up and moves over to a secluded alcove. "So, Spatharios, as you well know the position of faction speaker carries with it certain benefits greater than those bestowed upon ordinary Senators, especially when that speaker leads the dominant faction in the Senate. Old Theophilus Rhadaenos was granted the patriarchy of Anthiocheia, you were made the Vice President of the Senate, amongst many other honours, and my father was permitted to found and control a monastery. The Monastery of Divine Light, as he so humbly named it."

"That may seem a small thing and yet it has proven quite valuable. For not only does it aid House Serapis in our service to our Lord and Saviour, it lets us do that without paying a single coin in taxes. Our estates have been sold or rented to the Monastery and in return the Monstery is indebted to us. They pay no taxes on their profits and we pay no taxes on the funds we withdraw from their ever expanding assets. For the last few decades that arrangement has allowed us to prosper more than any other Aristoi House, except perhaps your own. But the benefits have not been limited to House Serapis. Most of the Houses in the Demes have invested heavily into the Monastery and gain a proportional share of the gains. Our activities include everything from banking and shipping to industry and mining, but is still founded on farming since agricultural lands have become so very cheap in the current crisis. Still, our assets are wide-spread and immune from any single calamity. All, perhaps, but one. Our dear Angelina. And even against her we have contingencies."

"And so, it comes to this. Serapis and our partners have built the Monastery as part of our efforts to strengthen the White Demes and tie it together in mutual interest, but we cannot be truly united while the greatest of our Houses remain excluded. Therefore I would like to offer House Pylaeus and yourself the opportunity to invest in our humble project and take your share of the profits you can really gain nowhere else. Together we can assure the rise of all our Houses, and in time perhaps we can rival the arrogant Dynatoi who would call themselves our betters."

"You may question the morality of our business model. But keep in mind that while the Dynatoi avoid taxation by similar means they will continue to accumulate ever greater lands and powers at our expense, and they are already far too powerful. While such means are available to them we can not afford to abstain and in so doing make ourselves their victims. Until a tax reform affects all assets equally I consider us justified in our strategy."

"But let me end with a question of etiquette. You are a man of many titles, so many that I do not know how to adress you. Shall I call you Speaker, Spatharios, Senator, Pylaeus or Partner?"

So this is what you wanted...after all those years. I've always wondered why I wasn't invited to such businesses of my friends among the white demes, especially when you declined that a new library could be built upon monastery grounds. I have done some research on the topic, though. Listen, I ... am not a resentful man. My contacts say that your family investment has yielded quite a few returns over the years. As far as the commitment of Houses Melissenos and Ouranos is concerned, they have invested relatively modest amounts compared to your house.

A joint business to the profit of all the long-time whites - it is something I can support. What's more, I'll probably invest quite a bit in it, if you do not mind. Probably half of what your house has given would be alright? I don't want to question your status as the head of the monastery, but since I've got the means, I'd like to show that I am serious about a commitment to the cause.

As for your other question...I'm not used to being called by my new titles yet. If we are among us whites, I'd like to call you friends and be honoured to be called one by all of you, as it always has been. If the situation is more officially demanding, I am sure that you know which one would be appropriate to use. Just remember that a title does not make a man, it is the man that should make up the true worth of the title.

{{
{{"wishing for all Houses of the Imperial Senate to participate join me TOMORROW during the banquet."
Does that mean that all of us are invited?}}

All demes speakers received a letter. I guess "tomorrow" IC will be once the faction meetings are over...

I've got a question for @CzokletMuss : The title of spatharios is not inheritable, I guess, just like the long title all of the whites received. What about that of stratelates, though? Is it inheritable? I'm asking because you said it does also exempt my heirs from military service.}}