• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah but rules can't apply retroactively you know :)

Well you decide. I don't think many people would complain about some RP becoming a mechanic but I see the logic here.
People will have to be more careful about what they say now.

Also can the unaffiliated take a second from any faction ?

Duels look complicated, but hopefully worth the introduction. Obviously if it gets to be too much trouble, you'll just ban them.

Have you tried purging?

But honestly I don't know the answer to this question yet :p

I imagined someone somehow winning so much duels that his stats will allow him to autowin everything.
The modifier will be capped. Also Duels will occur very rarely.

FACTION MEETING - OPENING

bXfsLO5.jpg

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby annouces

THE MEETING OF THE WHITE DEMES HAS BEGUN

RUMORS AND GOSSIP
Here are the pieces of information your Faction have gathered recently. Remember that most of them are not entirely trustworthy and some of them may simply be not true:
  1. Ecumenical Patriarch Samuel is a member of the House Taronites, a trusted ally of the House Komnenos.
  2. Previous Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos – brother of Nikephoros Dalassenos - was killed during the riots of 1561 in the City.
  3. According to rumors circumstances of death of Niketas Dalassenos were troubling to say at least, with some outright stating that an imperial officer – bastard of one of the Taranitoi – abandoned him to the enraged mob.
  4. Many of the Roman bishops died during the Plague and War of Hoi Polloi, thus leaving empty places on which their successors were elected, backed either by previous or current Ecumenical Patriarch – many of those bishops are present on the Council.
  5. No representative of the Pisan Republic arrived in Ravenna, at least not oficially.
  6. With a sizeable part of the imperial court and most members of the Imperial Council in Ravenna with the Emperor, Megas Logothetes Manuel Komnenos is ruling over Konstantinoupolis in the name of His Imperial Majesty.
  7. Ravenna resembles a fortress under siege, with hundreds of Roman soldiers patrolling the streets and main bulk of the Imperial Army assembled in a camp just outside the city's walls.
  8. Rossetta is allegedly under siege of Mamluke rebels.
  9. A huge army of former Mongol slaves is said to be marching on Cherson, the last imperial bastion in burning Taurica.
  10. The armies of the Horde are in almost complete control of Moldau and it seems that soon the whole realm will be fall to the Great Khan.
May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Isaakios Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate
3uquMqZ.jpg

25 April 1566
Chapel of Saint Petros Chrysologos, Palace of Archbishop, Ravenna

You enter the cross-shaped chapel from a small barrel-vaulted rectangular vestibule, covered entirely with marble in its lower part and decorated with mosaics at the top. The mosaics, ancient as the chapel itself, depict various martyrs, Apostles and Evangelists, as well as stylized animals, all of them united in worship of the one true God. What attracts your attention the most is however a wonderful representation of Iesus Kristos depicting him as a soldier wearing ceremonial robes of the Emperor on top of classical Roman armor. You can't help yourself but to think of how much time have passed since the mosaic was made – as you were told, the whole chapel was created in 5th century Anno Domini on the order of Saint Petros Chrysologos, archbishop of Ravenna living under the rules of emperor Valentinianus III. Kingdoms have risen and fell, the Mongols arrived from the steppes and xenoi launched the Sunset Invasions and yet today, over a thousands years later, the Roman soldier still serves his Emperor and God protecting fellow Kristianoi from barbarians.

Having spent a long while admiring the marvelous mosaics you finally notice that a modest table and chairs were prepared for you. There is nothing to eat or drink save for water – you are after all in a chapel, inside the private oratory of the archbishop. For some reason you find the lack of distractions and servants pleasing. You keep in mind however that even here, so far from Konstantinoupolis, the walls still may have ears. After all this meeting was arranged by Megas Domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos, as he emphasized in an invitation sent to all of the Whites. You are unsure of the intent of your patron but you have to admit that being allowed to hold a meeting within these ancient walls is certainly a pleasant welcome.

It is hardly a surprise however. In the years following your pact with Dalassenos for some reason attention of many high imperial officials – and in some cases their daughters – turned toward the Whites. Small favors of all sorts, invitations, extravagant gifts from distant lands… many were the benefits the senators enjoyed these days. The Megas Domestikos himself seemed to not only pull the strings but to fulfill his promise himself, as it was evidenced by the fact that His Imperial Majesty decided to grant all of the Whites a prestigious title of spatharokandidatios with which followed privilege of wearing the maniakon – a golden chain – around their neck during ceremonies in the Sacred Palace, as well as honorary place in the Hippodrome during the chariot races.

Naturally the greatest honor has fallen on the White Speaker. The Vice President was honored with title of spatharios – a spatha-bearer – with which he was granted a ceremonial spatha sword and a right to bear it with him in the Sacred Palace and every other place. He was also named stratelates by Dalassenos himself – an ancient title used once in place of contemporary strategos. This gave him the right to part of the income from imperial holdings in a long-dissolved military district, greatly increasing his wealth, as well as exemption from military service for him and his heirs.

With titles came also roga - an annual stipend paid by the Imperial Treasury to the holder – in an amount which allowed every White to greatly expand their manors, buy a small residence in Konstantinoupolis and pay for eunuchs, servants and guards to protect them. The Imperium could be falling apart but for many of the White Senators it was a time of prosperity. Alas, the more grew the wealth which came due to favor of Megas Domestikos, the more uncomfortable was a thought of a debt owed to their benefactor…

You take your places around the table, ready to discuss the events of this day which took place in basilica of Saint Vitalis.

IMPORTANT – the meeting is for members of the White Demes only!
No unaffiliated senators allowed.

REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING
  • Begin every post written in-character using the following template:
    Code:
    [b][size=4]Senator <name>:[/b][/size]
  • While writing in-character, you have to use italics.
  • While writing out-of-character during the Senate Session or Faction Meeting, you have to use brackets.
  • You may type „@<ForumNickname>” in your post to tag forum users (they get a notification they were mentioned in your post)

EXCERPT FROM THE RULES
Article 12 – Faction Speakers
1. Each Faction has a Speaker who represents it before the Senate and other Factions.
2. Speaker is elected among the members of his Faction by acclamation.
3. Speaker:
- proposes Senatorial Policies in the name of his Faction;
- requests a Meeting for his Faction;
- notifies members of his Faction via PM of the Meeting;

Article 13 – Faction Meeting
1. Each Faction may hold a Meeting for its members to discuss public affairs of the state between Sessions.
(...)
4. Speaker ensures order and decorum during the Meeting, while members of the Imperial Senate Guard ensure safety of the Senators.

{{I would assume that in my case, I would restore my honor (after being unjustly slandered as a cannibal) by defeating my challenger in honorable fashion and extracting an apology from them.

EDIT: ds get hype}}

Last edited:
{{ Colombo-bowl? :p

The Faction Meeting is in progress - everyone please use brackets. White Senators may post in-character. }}

{{I posted at the same time you did, that's why there weren't brackets. Will add them now.}}

{{More importantly:

1. A huge army of former Mongol slaves is said to be marching on Cherson, the last imperial bastion in burning Taurica.}}
{{Well, sane Colombo was fun whilst he lasted...

BRING OUT THE BRAZIERS}}

{{Well, the Whites are boned}}

Senator Decius Pylaeus, Faction Speaker of the White Demes

*Decius arrives in the chapel and marvels at the artwork that Romans have created a millenia ago. In spite of the astonishing surroundings, or maybe because of them, he is reminded that countless works of art were destroyed by hoi polloi and the angelodouloi. The beginning of the synodos seems to have proven what every faithful Romaioi feared the most - one of the Angeloi is apparently a heretic.

While much is still unknown and the synodos has only just begun, the outcome of this event might incite another period of turmoil in the Imperium. Surviving the plague, war, rebellions of hoi polloi, sometimes Decius wonders if his trials would never be over. And slowly, but steadily, he is starting to grow tired of political affairs, after all, he has done more than almost any Pylaei before him.

Their family is more powerful and rich than it ever was before, and the white demes is enjoying the most influence within the halls of Magnaura. Of course, all this came at a price. The Megas Domestikos pays in many different ways to ensure the prosperity of the whites. Truly, his character does not speak well for him. But if his only desire is to gain allies in the Imperial Senate, would it be wrong to support him if he does not do any wrong? Maybe the counsel of his fellow demes members can clear Decius' mind and answer some of the many questions at hand.

After taking a good and careful look around, Decius cannot find anyone that might eavesdrop on the senators. In fact, he seems to be the first one to arrive within the chapel. Decius takes a seat in one of the plain chairs and ponders the things yet to come. One might notice his fine robes of silk that are an embodiment to the new status he enjoys and the stark contrast between his clothing and the humble interior of the ancient chamber.*

{{I just realised that I could go on for ages, but I didn't want to ramble too much. I guess it's good to have another IC session after all!

Remember that most of them are not entirely trustworthy and some of them may simply be not true

Surely you mean that they are all upstanding, honest and loyal, because no true Romaioi would ever dare to lie.}}

Senator Lodovico di Capponi (White Demes)

*Walking into the room, the Italian senator looks around*

Ahhh.

Who would have believed that I would live to see another Deme meeting?

How... nice, to see all of you again.

Now that the wicked and corrupting madness of the Mandromenos family has been removed from our esteemed society, we can perhaps make progress.

Progress is simply so rare in the world these days.

*Lodovico takes his seat*

Senator Ioannes Raoul :

*The old monk looks at the wonders displayed in this chapel. The Synodos and now that reminds him clearly that he was once a monk. Technically he was still one even after many of his vows had been broken because of the war. He kept on wearing plain and cheap clothes, only allowing himself to wear a maniakon to symbolise his rank. From the outside he often appeared like a lowly priest and he had been the subject of many remarks for his "simplicity" in the high society of the City of the World's Desires...

Under his management and the support of the Megas Domestikos to all Whites, he had rebuilt the House Raoul. The palace of his uncle and nephew in Konstantinopolis was built anew in the latest Imperial designs ; the monastery he had attented in Arkadiopolis and where his noble ancestors were buried
{{ I don't know if it happened in Orthodox countries but in the West many nobles were buried in churches they had founded to get closer to God. If someone knows better I would be glad to be enlightened about that fact :p }} was receiving his support to be build back from its ashes ; his grandnephew was growing healthy and strong ... He wondered often if he had not made the wrong choice and sold his soul to the Devil by becoming a client of the Megas Domestikos -for what were the Whites, if no clients of the Dalassenoi ?

The meeting of all the Great Patriarchs in Ravenna was definitely an amazing event. So many holy men together would find the truth about Sophia. She was dangerous, and her subtelity was surely hiding the most wicked heresy ...*

"Speaker and spatharios Pylaeus and Senator Di Capponi, I am most pleased to see you here for this outstanding event in the history of the Imperium and Christendom.
I will wait for my fellow Senators to arrive here, we have much to discuss be it about the Synod and Sophia ...
*he pauses and lowers his voice* or our esteemed benefactor."

His Imperial Majesty decided to grant all of the Whites a prestigious title of spatharokandidatios with which followed privilege of wearing the maniakon – a golden chain – around their neck during ceremonies in the Sacred Palace, as well as honorary place in the Hippodrome during the chariot races.
{{Is this honor inheritable?}}

Senator Lazaros II Melissenos

*Lazaros enters the hall, looking unchanged. Which is easy, for his is still cloaking his appearance in robe and veil, although one can see that here, far from Constantinople, the clothing is more practical and more tighter wound around a thin body. For reasons unbeknown to most people, Lazaros has taken the more dangerous route over land to Ravenna, instead of sharing the sea-voyage with his pears.*

Ah, dear Decius. How are you? And how do you feel with all the new titles bestowed upon you? Ready to stab us all in the back now, as soon as our esteemed master, pardon, friend deems in necessary?

*Lazaros voice is soft as always, although you can hear clearly that the words are spoken as a joke.*