• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the event is set in motion. I wonder how many senators will survive the heresy. Perhaps i will even think of making a senator myself if there are openings.

Also reading the synod thing made me feel a bit uneasy. Maybe a harbinger of things to come and definitely a sign of exceptional writing.

I probably missed/skipped something, but where are the differences in what Sophia preaches and what the patriarch preaches?

First, I'm neither a theologian nor a church historian, but that’s the way I see it:

For one she disputes the exclusive agency of the church in the matters of faith. I don't know how the RL Orthodox church handles that, but in the medieval Roman Catholic church that was a really important point. Only when you got your sacraments through the the agents of the one true church (Priests, Bishops, etc.) they were seen as valid which was a very serious topic at this times since in the believes of that time it directly influences ones salvation. (And on a more worldly note: It also played a very big part in the direct power the church had over the believers, see for example the political use of the interdict.)

For the second point I'm not quite sure. It seems to me a discrepancy in the interpretation of the events at judgment day. Who rises an who enters the Kingdom of God. But I don't know what the orthodox teaching in this regard is.

- Do you believe in one Lord Iesus Kristos ... of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made?

- I believe in one Lord Iesus Kristos ... of one essence with the Father.
Note that there is no "through Whom all things were made", so maybe Sophia actually believes the diablolos to be partly responsible for creation, just didn't want to uncover that yet.

Reactions:
Note that there is no "through Whom all things were made", so maybe Sophia actually believes the diablolos to be partly responsible for creation, just didn't want to uncover that yet.
Indeed, in both replies she just referred to almighty God without mentioning he created the world.
That's quite telling, and we had other reports in one of the last updates that she might be quite close to gnosticism, manicheism and catharism, in these matters.
No wonder she has her own take on judgment day and afterlife.

Reactions:
1427_3_full.jpg

It's diabolos actually :p I guess I should make a separate update dedicated to vocabulary, it surely gets confusing what with all the Greek and Latin terminology.

Reactions:
DIARIUM SENATORUM IMPERIALIS #27

bXfsLO5.jpg

ALBUM SENATORIUM
Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby annouces:

1) that the following delegates to the Imperial Senate have arrived in Ravenna:
  1. senator Decius of the noble House PYLAEUS (played by: ThetrueColt)
  2. senator Andronikos of the noble House OURANOS (played by: Blogman66)
  3. senator Lodovico of the noble House DI CAPPONI (played by: Enlil)
  4. senator Philaretos of the noble House MANDROMENOS (played by: Mach Twelve)
  5. senator Lazaros of the noble House MELISSENOS (played by: McGrey)
  6. senator Marcus of the noble House SCIPION (played by: varetta)
  7. senator Leon of the noble House TAURINUS (played by: Ponce_The_Great)
  8. senator Petrus of the noble House WEDROVANDER (played by: Kingjerkera)
  9. senator Alexios of the noble House COLOMBO (played by:luciusmalfoy012)
  10. senator Ioannes of the noble House RAOUL (played by: Attalus)
  11. senator Magnus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  12. senator Marius of the noble House SERAPIS (played by: Serpent)
  13. senator Alexios of the noble House ESTE-RAVENNA (played by: Undead Martyr)
  14. senator Nikephoros of the noble House SALAMIS (played by: ParrotGuy)
  15. senator Markos of the noble House VON HABSBURG (played by: GulMacet)
  16. senator Flavius of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)
  17. senator Banoub of the noble House RASHID (played by: BanishTheSpleen)
  18. senator Absalon of the noble House HVIDE (played by: Drucchi)
  19. senator Alexios of the noble House VON HOHENZOLLERN (played by: zenphoenix)
  20. senator Theon of the noble House MUZAKA (played by: Rascar Capac)
  21. senator Belissarios of the noble House LEONIDOS (played by: RedInc)

May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Isaakios Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate

Last edited:
Reactions:
FACTION MEETING - ANNOUNCEMENT

bXfsLO5.jpg

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby annouces that it was decided to

CALL THE WHITE DEMES MEETING

which will take place in Chapel of Saint Petros Chrysologos in Palace of Archbishop in Ravenna on 25 April 1566.

The Faction Meeting shall begin on 9:00 PM 11 January 2016 (Monday) and shall last until 9:00 PM 14 January 2015 (Thursday) Warsaw time (CEST).

May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Isaakios Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate

{ @ThetrueColt }

Reactions:
The Whites go first? As expected of the senate's finest. :D
We're the only demes to send all of its members to the synodos...

Regarding the start of the synod I can only bring out this ISF classic once more:

I also just realised that Czoklet wrote my position as speaker in italics in the google doc, but not that of the other two. So yeah, it was nice to know all of you :eek:

Assembling the team: @Blogman66 @Enlil @McGrey @Attalus @Serpent @RedInc

I'd use forum PMs for it, but some people have configured their profile so that they cannot receive any, so I guess this works as well.

The party starts 9pm CEST, folks. Don't forget the wood and oil. I am counting on you, Enlil.

Poisened food and drinks for everyone!

We still have some time before the White Meeting starts, so let's talk about Duels, shall we?

Rules on Duels

636px-Military_and_religious_life_in_the_Middle_Ages_and_at_the_period_of_the_Renaissance_%281870%29_%2814598398438%29.jpg

I. Introduction

Duel is a new mechanic for the interactive part of the AAR allowing characters to fight each other for honor (or other ulterior motives). This opens a new field for interaction and richer experience for all participants of the AAR.

Story-wise, according to laws of the Imperium as a general rule „judicial duel” (trial by combat) is forbidden. However, it is a privilege of all nobleborn to settle their disputes outside of the court in a duel, a tradition which emerged during Middle Ages and was based on customs of the Latins. This is not only much faster and cheaper method but often is the only way in which poor nobles could try to seek justice. It is also much riskier and most of the dynatoi – in these rare cases in which they are challenged and they themselves do not have authority over challenger – prefer to appeal to imperial courts.

II. Starting a Duel

To start a Duel your character must be in possession of the following:

• Honor (in-character)– to challange or be challenged to a Duel one must have be honorable himself; Dishonorable characters or characters from Dishonorable Houses are incapable of giving Satisfaction
  • Just Cause (in-character) – a valid reason to challange someone to a Duel; validity is judged by me in regard to laws and customs of the Imperium and gravity of the Offense
  • Permission (out-of-character) – given by me; without Permission you may not challenge anyone to a Duel

To be challenged for a Duel your character may give another character an Offense. Offense may become a Just Cause if approved by me.

If all of the conditions are fulfilled, your character may challenge other character to a Duel.

The Challenger has right to choose one of the following types of Duel:
  • First Blood – Duel lasts until the first wound
  • Second Blood – Duel lasts until the second wound
  • Third Blood – Duel lasts until the third wound
  • Last Man Standing – Duel lasts until one of the parties is physically incapable to continue fighting due to the wounds
  • To the Death – Duel lasts ntil one party is mortally wounded or killed
If the challenge is accepted, the Duel may begin.
Refusal to accept the Duel causes refusing character to lose Honor.

III. Conditions of the Duel

Once the challenge is accepted, the challenging party („Challenger”) and the offended part („Offended”) must agree on the conditions of the Duel.

The following conditions always apply:
  • President of the Senate serves as a judge in every duel
  • Imperial Guardsmen assist the President in fulfilling his duties
  • Each party must name 1 trusted representative („Second”) among other characters; if party is member of the Demes, the Second also must be a member of such Demes
  • Each Second is responsible for the weapon of nominating party and condition of thereof
  • Both Seconds must agree on the place and time in which the Duel will take place („field of honor”)

The Offended has a right to choose weapons with which the Duel will be fought. Only melee weapons are allowed.

IV. The Duel

Four characters participate in the Duel (Challenger and his second, Offended and his second) as well as NPCs played by me. Faction Speakers may observe the Duel but may not participate.

Duel lasts until Satisfaction is given (1st blood, 2nd blood, death etc.) or until one of the party decides to Yield.

Once the Duel starts, each party may try to attack the other one; the party which starts is determined by a coin flip by me.

The Duel is divided into Rounds. Each Round consists of a single attac.

During each Round both parties roll d6 dice. The attacking party must have score at least 3 points higher than the other party to succesfully inflict a wound.

The difference of score needed to inflict a wound becomes 2 after 5 Rounds and 1 after 10 Rounds.

In the same post in which an attack is described you (the participant) must declare whether it is a Normal Attack or Attack to Kill.

V. Death and experience

Duel is dangerous. Each hit may potentially cause death:

Normal Attack
  • 1st wound – 5% chance of death
  • 2nd wound – 10% chance of death
  • 3rd wound – 15% chance of death
Attack to Kill
  • 1st wound – 25% chance of death
  • 2nd wound – 50% chance of death
  • 3rd wound – 75% chance of death
You may also automatically kill an enemy who decided to Yield. This will bring great dishonor for your House, making your House Dishonorable.

Attack to Kill is only allowed during Duel To the Death. If used succesfully in any other Duel it makes your character Dishonorabke.

Killing the other party accidentaly doesn't make your character Dishonorable.

Every character which won the Duel (gained Satisfaction) gains +1 to attack and defense rolls.

Reactions:
And this is why we can't do anything violent without permission. This relatively simple duel system is a very long affair. I would hate to see what rules governing brawls in the Magnara would look like...

A few questions for this pretty good post. One who will handle the roll? Second what sort of dice will be rolled I.E. real or virtual dice? And are there considerations towards critical fails and critical hits?

A few questions for this pretty good post. One who will handle the roll? Second what sort of dice will be rolled I.E. real or virtual dice? And are there considerations towards critical fails and critical hits?
1) I will obviously - we are not sitting at the table rolling good old fashinoned dice however, so you'll just have to trust me on that.
2) Real ones! I still have them back from playing D&D back in the day.
3) Absolutely not. I tried to make it as simple as possible.
And this is why we can't do anything violent without permission. This relatively simple duel system is a very long affair. I would hate to see what rules governing brawls in the Magnara would look like...
It would probably take a week and end in a total chaos. BTW this is just how being GM for high level players in D&D looks like if you go by the books - way too long and horribly boring calculations.

Reactions:
1) I will obviously - we are not sitting at the table rolling good old fashinoned dice however, so you'll just have to trust me on that.
2) Real ones! I still have them back from playing D&D back in the day.
3) Absolutely not. I tried to make it as simple as possible.
Thank you for the clarification.