• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:

Isaakios sits silently in his armchair, listening to the chatter of senators. That was his task – to listen, to watch, to assess. And although he knew well that many of those assembled in Magnaura were already caught in the web woven by Dalassenos, he was still surprised by how... inexperienced most of them are. How naive are they in their understanding, how simple-minded are their ideas – and the so-called “solutions” they propose? To call them foolhardy would be too generous. These are the aristoi chosen by the Emperor to provide him with advice? Some of the Houses they are representing are not even a hundred years old!

Issakios strikes his red beard.

Do they even understand what they are debating on? Do they grasp the gravity of the situation the Imperium is after more than half of all Romaioi perished due to the Plague? Do they have any idea what force supports Anglina? Or are they so credulous that they really believe that what she accomplished in such a short time was possible without backing from a powerful patron? Of course not, he thinks to himself while watching as senators Salamis and Raoul argue with Arrius. How could they? The know nothing about honor or duty, these filthy merchants and sanctimonious upstarsts. Three generations ago most of them would not be even allowed to be a swineherds in latifundia of the truly noble Houses and today – today the mud fills these ancient halls. Still...

Isaakios glances at Red Speaker sitting on the armchair to his left.

The usurers and puppets of the Dalassenos were of no use for him - the Red ones, on the other hand, could be useful. After all, they were not only the strongest faction in the Senate but unlike the others they had people among their ranks who knew the meaning of duty and honor. They fought and killed for the Imperium, not hiding behind the walls or in praying in the chapels like the rest of them. They understand what it means to bleed for a cause they believe in.

Isaakios waves at the eunuch holding the Fasces.

Yes, it could work. But first he must show him that Komnenoi will not be restrained so easily.

Still sitting on the President's armchair, Isaakios hits the marble dais with the iron ending of the Fasces.

– Silence. Senators, I think I have heard enough. It's already midday and it is clear that the issues the Senate was convened for will not be resolved quickly. Thus I hereby move that debate be extended {{for another 24 hours}} and recess {{lasting 24 hours}} be called now {{that is 23:00 PM Warsaw time}}. As for your question, honorable White Speaker...

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

Also, if the decades of slaughter have shown us anything, it would be that people already kill each other on the grounds of baseless accusations. The most recent version would be....ah yes, the support of certain dynatoi families. Surely the esteemed President Komnenos can share his most noble wisdom regarding the mysterious deaths of high Imperial officials such as the former Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople with us? {{ @CzokletMuss }}

– I move that point 8 be added to the agenda of this session regarding resolution in which this august body shall express its great sorrow at this senseless and vicious attack at His Excellency Archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos, as well as express its unwavering support and gratitude for the megas domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos who, despite losing his dear brother, carried out duties of his office with utmost dilligence and dedication.

You wanted to curb the power of the most powerful House in the Imperium with a piece of paper, Dalassenos? You wanted to play this little game of yours? Let us play then.

– Vice President, honorable Speakers. Two motions have been proposed before the Praesidium, let us cast votes. Who's in favor?

{{Members of Praesidium - you vote by saying:

"<name> Speaker supports the motion for <description>"
or
"<name> Speaker votes against the motion for <description>"

to each motion separately.}}

Last edited:
Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

After returning to his armchair at the dais, Decius writes up a letter for Senator Salamis for the recess and hands it to a servant for delivery.

Esteemed Nikephoros II Salamis,

after you expressed your increased interest in the wellbeing of the libraries and important books of the Imperium that hold its immeasureable value, I can propose an offer you might be interested in. Since my family likes to view themselves as patrons of knowledge, we own vast private libraries and are among the chief scholars of the Great Pandidakterion. Since the safety of said ressources is often severely neglected, my house also took it upon itself to safeguard the wisdom of Christianity within the Imperium.

The recent decades took it huge toll on every aspect of the Imperium. Aside from the efforts of my family, no one provides protection for the libraries of the Imperium. The tragedy of Alexandria, the loss of the family estate in Roma and the damage dealt to the Pandidakterion in the queen of cities herself are sad reminders of this fact. If you want to, I would be glad to link up the ressources of my private guard with your family, so that we can join forces to prevent further harm to treasures that cannot be replaced, should they ever be lost.

If you are willing to support this noble cause, meet me during recess so that we can discuss what kind of help you can offer and how we can put it to a good use.

Signed,
Decius Pylaeus

After the President finished his proposal, Decius rises.

*To the Senate*

"A fine proposal indeed, esteemed President. I say

AYE to the expression of great sorrow at the senseless and vicious attack at His Excellency Archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos, to express unwavering support and gratitude for the megas domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos in these dark times and

AYE to the extended session for recess and more time for the debate."

{{I hope these are the two motions you mean, @CzokletMuss ?

I think we all can imagine how Colombo will vote on this, so it's all up to Este-Ravenna again :D Fun times indeed.

It seems I managed to sneek in recess time! Glorious! :D

Edit done.}}

Last edited:
{{Actually I meant:

(1) motion to extend the session by 24 hours and have the recess start at 23:00 today
(2) motion regarding expressing sorrow and support

So please edit the post if you may :p }}

{{ I could have the Praesidium convened between the sessions you know :p }}
{{Oh, sorry then. I had assumed that you meant they only assumed during the Senate session.}}

Reactions:
{{ Well sure but it's the only way I can make any surprise during a session ;) }}

Reactions:
{{You may do this if you want.}}

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes):

*During the past few hours, Belissarios has been contemplating the statements and opinions of the Senators in silent. After collecting his thoughts, he stands.*

"Good friends, honerable Senators, Colombo, di Capponi, the Imperium has been embroiled in nearly two decades of ceaseless war and plague and death. As responsible and diligent Senators (glares at Colombo) we must not aggrevate the hoi polloi by giving them another reason to revolt.

"I support the notion Serapis has put foreward. A synod to rebuke Sophia's teachings, and a trial to rebuke her character. Doing this would de-legitimize her to her followers and convince them to become Christian again."

{{I get the bad feeling Czoklet will screw us over no matter what we choose.}}

Senator Alexius Colombo (Blue Demes Speaker):

*"Well, well, well." Alexius thinks. "The game begins. A game where no-one, not even the Dynatoi themselves, know what the rules are, what the board looks like, and who," he smiles, "the pieces belong to."*

*He stands up*

I am in agreement with the White Speaker.

AYE to the extended session for recess and more time for the debate."

AYE
to the expression of great sorrow at the senseless and vicious attack at His Excellency Archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos, to express unwavering support and gratitude for the megas domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos in these dark times.

President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:

That was easier than expected. Now we shall see which senators will publicly express their support to House Dalassenos by voting for the resolution.

- The motions have passed.

Isaakios Komnenos gives a sign to the carrier of the Fasces and gets up from his armchair. The eunuch hits the stone floor of the Great Hall with iron ending of the sceptre, then bows and hands him the Fasces. Silence fills Magnaura as all senators stop talking and turn towards middle of the room. President of the Senate leans on the sceptre and raises his right hand.

- The midday has come, senators. I hereby announce recess of the Seventh Senate Session.

Isaakios nods towards the two guardsmen standing by the door leading to the garden of Magnaura, who immediately open them

- Food and beverages have been prepared for you in the peristyle. When the time comes I'll sent for you and the debate will continue.

Komnenos hands over the Fasces to the eunuch and waives at one of the eunuchs who approaches him with some documents.

Remember that during the recess the Session is suspended – this means that your character may not adress all other senators or speak publicly. You may however talk in private with whoever you want: members of your Demes, members of other Demes or unaffiliated. Eat, drink and socialize – writing letters to other senators is also allowed.

The Speakers are welcome to organize small “meetings” of their Factions.

{{@CzokletMuss I just realized that technically my senator isn't allowed to have his box and his servants. Can we retroactively determine he was allowed these by the president? He needs the servants to get around, and the box just contains some small amount of "meat" to share with Colombo. Also, can we see the liberty desire for the exarchates?}}

{{ Alright, alright.

I'm going to sleep now so I'll post it tomorrow. }}

The House of Wedrovander presents for the Senate one Petrus Wedrovander as it's representative. The House continues to support the Red Demes.
{{ Details for said representative can be found in the recent pages of the houses. Sorry again for being a wee bit late.}}

Senator Petrus Wedrovander (Red Demes):
*Petrus's thoughts to himself as he scurries down the halls.*
Drat that darn storm and those petulant piers-men. They would have no employ if the house was running things around here.
*He finally gets to the senate chamber not long after Colombo's announcement.*
"That is kind of you Colombo to offer such condolences and extension of time." He says.
*Mentally Petrus breathes a sigh of relif and leaves for recess.*
{{Edit to clarify speech}}

Senator Jakov Desmerti
He has his servants lift him to a secluded corner, where he lights his brazier and starts to fry some strange looking meat, pulling some spices from hidden pockets and seasoning it liberally. He then writes a note to senator Colombo:

"My friend, let us meet. We have much to discuss. I have a interesting proposal for you."

Senator Banoub ibn Mahdi Rashid (Unaffiliated):
*Banoub has been watching Leonidos carefully, silent in his observation.*

"While I believe that negotiations could work if we have the upper hand, it seems that my view is not prevailing amongst the Senate.

Therefore, I must agree with Senator Leonidos in that we must have a Synod and a quick and efficient trial to rid ourselves of this heresy.
I have uneasy and ominous feelings about the results of such ruthless behavior to an Angeloi of all people, but I must say that sometimes ruthlessenss is needed to serve the greater good of the Imperium when negotiation is off the table.

Last edited: