• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Article 16b – Praesidium of the Senate
1. The Praesidium of the Senate safeguards the rights of the Senate and ensures order and decorum during the Sessions of the Senate with help of the Imperial Senate Guard.​

"The Praesidium of the Senate safeguards the rights of the Senate and ensures order and decorum during the Sessions of the Senate with help of the Imperial Senate Guard."

ensures "order and decorum"

Read mah l̶i̶p̶s̶, er, signature, punk.

EDIT: 350 pages, wooo!

Reactions:
Also @CzokletMuss, it means that any Speaker can intervene with his colleagues if he feels the situation demands it or the Praesidium intervenes after the President demands it ?
Err could you be more specific?

I think he wants to know under what conditions the Proesidium would meet - whether or not the President calls for a meeting, or if any Speaker can.

I think he wants to know under what conditions the Proesidium would meet - whether or not the President calls for a meeting, or if any Speaker can.
Yep basically this, sorry it was not really clear

SEVENTH SENATE SESSION - OPENING

6x6rCbi.jpg

IIllustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby announces that

THE SEVENTH SENATE SESSION HAS BEGUN

SCHEDULE (WARSAW TIME)
  • Opening of the Session – 23:00 p.m. 31 October (Saturday)
  • DEBATE (48 HOURS) - 23:00 p.m. 31 October – 23:00 p.m. 2 November
  • VOTING (24 HOURS) - 23:00 p.m. 2 November – 23:00 p.m. 3 November
  • Closing of the Session – 23:00 p.m. 3 November (Tuesday)

AGENDA
The Seventh Senate Session is dedicated to the following matters:
RESOLUTIONS
  1. Synodos – convening the Synodos
  2. Synodos – summoning Sophia Angelos
  3. Synodos – summoning the Italians
  4. Trial – arresting Sophia Angelos
  5. Trial – sending Black Tagma
  6. Trial – summoning the Italians
  7. Exarchates – raising tariffs
ALBUM SENATORIUM
  1. senator Decius of the noble House PYLAEUS (played by: ThetrueColt)
  2. senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb)
  3. senator Andronikos of the noble House OURANOS (played by: Blogman66)
  4. senator Lodovico of the noble House DI CAPPONI (played by: Enlil)
  5. senator Philaretos of the noble House MANDROMENOS (played by: Mach Twelve)
  6. senator Lazaros of the noble House MELISSENOS (played by: McGrey)
  7. senator Marcus of the noble House SCIPION (played by: varetta)
  8. senator Leon of the noble House TAURINUS (played by: Ponce_The_Great)
  9. VACANT SEAT of the noble House WEDROVANDER (played by: Kingjerkera)
  10. senator Alexios of the noble House COLOMBO (played by:luciusmalfoy012)
  11. senator Ioannes of the noble House RAOUL (played by: Attalus)
  12. senator Magnus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  13. senator Harun of the noble House AL-ASKARI (played by: bigseb31213)
  14. senator Marius of the noble House SERAPIS (played by: Serpent)
  15. senator Alexios of the noble House ESTE-RAVENNA (played by: Undead Martyr)
  16. senator Nikephoros of the noble House SALAMIS (played by: ParrotGuy)
  17. senator Donasien of the noble House DE LA LUMIERE (played by: Tecumseh23)
  18. senator Markos of the noble House VON HABSBURG (played by: GulMacet)
  19. senator Flavius of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)
  20. senator Kastor of the noble House KASTELOS (played by: Leandor)
  21. senator Absalon of the noble House HVIDE (played by: Drucchi)
  22. senator Alexios of the noble House VON HOHENZOLLERN (played by: zenphoenix)
  23. senator Banoub of the noble House RASHID (played by: BanishTheSpleen)
  24. senator Dooley of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom)
  25. senator Jakov of the noble House ZETSMRTI (played by: Jericho Roker)
  26. senator Theon of the noble House MUZAKA (played by: Rascar Capac)
  27. senator David of the noble House IGNACION (played by: Awesomematrix96)
  28. senator Belissarios of the noble House LEONIDOS (played by: RedInc)
Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos hereby announces that the required quorum is equal to 14 SENATORS

GENERAL RULES
Article 19 – Opening
1. The Session is opened by the President.
2. The inauguration includes the following:
- presentation of the agenda;
- presentation of the guests of the Senate.
3. The debate begins after the inauguration.

Article 20 – Debate
1. During the debate the Senators may present their statements, discuss subjects of the Session with other Senators and propose amendments to bills.
2. The debate lasts at least 72 hours.
3. The Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]Senator <name> (<name> Demes):[/b][/size]
4. During the debate, Senators may not:
- carry any weapon with themselves;
- be accompanied by any servants or slaves;
- bring any items without the permission of the President.

Article 21 – Recess
1. During the debate the President may call recess of the Senate.
2. The recess lasts at least 24 hours.
3. During the recess the Session is suspended.
RULES ON AMENDMENTS AND POLICIES[
Article 25 – Amendment
1. Every Senator who is a member of a Faction may propose motion to amend a bill during the debate (amendment).
2. Amendment must include the following information:
- name of the amended bill;
- proposed amendment of the bill;
- statement of reasons for which the motion was proposed.

Article 26 – Proposing amendment
1. Only one amendment may be proposed by the Senator during the Session.
2. To be put under vote by the Senate such motion must by supported by at least five other Senators.

Article 27 – Supporting amendment
1. Every Senator may support an amendment.
2. The Senators may support as many amendments as they wish.
3. The Senators support amendment by using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]House <NAME> supports the amendment of Senator <NAME>[b][/size]
3. In the same post the Senator have to state reasons for which he supports the amendment.
4. Additonally the Senators who support an amendment have to use the „✓Agree” button in bottom right corner of the post which contains the amendment.

Part 3: Policy

Article 28 – Policy
1. Each Senator may propose motion to enact available Policy.
2. Articles 25-27 apply accordingly.

Part 4: Senate Policy

Article 28 – Senate Policy
1. Each Session the Senate may present one Senate Policy to His Imperial Majesty for His approval.
2. Senate Policy approved by His Imperial Majesty is enacted.
3. Only Senate Policies passed by the Senate may be presented to His Imperial Majesty.

Article 29 – Proposing Senate Policy
1. Every Faction Speaker may propose a Senate Policy in the name of his Faction.
2. Senate Policy must include the following information:
- name of the proposed Senate Policy;
- two bonuses chosen from the list of ideas in the Custon Nation Designer for EU4;
3. The total cost of two bonuses provided by Senate Policy may not surpass 15 points.

Article 30 – Supporting Senate Policies
1. Every Speaker supports the Senate Policy proposed by him.
2. Every Speaker may also support Senate Policy proposed by other Speaker.
3. To be put to a vote Senate Policy has to be supported by at least two Speakers.
VERY IMPORTANT
  • Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
    Code:
    [b][size=4]Senator <name> (<name> Demes):[/b][/size]
  • Example:
    Code:
    [b]Senator Exemplus Testus (White Demes):[/b]
  • Everything written in-character has to be written using italics.
  • Everything written out-of-character has to be written using {{ double brackets }}

THE DEBATE STARTS NOW

1 January 1566
Magnaura, Sacred Palace, Konstantinoupolis

A middle-aged man was sitting on ebony armchair placed on the second step of the marble dais. The dais itself surrounds the throne from which centuries ago high imperial officials used to welcome envoys from foreign countries. The throne was not visible, hidden beyond a heavy red curtain. As per tradition, President of the Senate was dressed in white silk robes with paludamentum cloak, both decorated with simple gold embroidery. He was balding but still had an impressive beard, red and bushy. To his left on the same step of the dais there was another armchair, made from much less expensive wood and without embellishment on the back representing Fasces. This was the seat of the Vicepresident - Alexios of the House Este-Ravenna, the Red Speaker.

On the lowest step beneath the man there were two more armchairs, one to his left and one to his right, both empty and awaiting for members of the Praesidium. Isaakios shaked his head. How on earth did he manage to convince the Emperor to create this mockery of the Imperial Council? To put him, one of the Komnenoi, among the lowly aristoi! Like all of them, this insult against House Komnenos also shall be repaid when the time comes – with interest. Isaakios looked at Whites entering the chamber and slowly taking their seats. There they are, he thought to himself, sheep from the Dalassenos' flock. Poor things. They imagined themselves playing the game with the Powerful but even their shephard won't protect them from the wolves.

Finally, when every Senator took his place and was given documents prepared for them, Komnenos nods towards the members of the Imperial Senate Guard, who close the heavy doors to the Great Hall and silence fills the room. Isaakios rises from his armchair, with the Vice President and other members of the Praesidium rising after him, and the door to Mangaura opens again as three eunuchs wearing ceremonial robes enter to the Great Haull slowly moving toward the President of the Senate. All Senators rise from their seats. The eunuch in the middle holds in his hands the Fasces of the Imperial Senate. Almost as tall as the man carrying him, the sceptre consists of twelve ebony rods bound together by silver strans criss-crossed over the length of the pole. Atop is a single-headed axe on which sits an intricately cast solid golden aquila – the Imperial Two-Headed Eagle. Having approached the President of the Senate, eunuchs bows deeply and hands over the Fasces to him, then turns to his right and walks away to the aisle where the rest of the eunuchs writing down the record sit.

President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:

Isaakios Komnenos stands in silence in the centre of the Great Hall for a moment. He raises the Fasces and hits the floor with its iron ending, then turns toward the senators.

- The Seventh Senate Session has begun - take your seats, senators. His Imperial Majesty, Sacred Emperor Theodoros I Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, decided to seek your counsel.

Isaakios pauses for a moment.

- Today you shall debate on the resolutions introduced to the Senate by His Imperial Majesty regarding here-

He quickly corrects himself.

- Regarding controversy of the so-called Angeloduloi and their leader, Sophia of the Great House Angelos. This matter is of the utmost importance and thus this session in its entirety shall be devoted to it, save for the vote on taxes. No amendments may be proposed.

Dynatos pauses and looks at the senators to make sure they understood.

- His Imperial Majesty wants your counsel and you will provide it. You have been given materials concerning the matters which will be subject of today's discussion. Make good use of them.

lBWJ5RV.jpg

fGY1I12.jpg

efLee1d.jpg

wNY0nCQ.jpg

sksjekU.jpg

OX8ZfLM.jpg

zVfGRGI.jpg

veuoyEf.jpg

Isaakios hits the floor of Magnarua with the iron ending of the Fasces.

- The debate begins now - may Theotokos give you wisdom. Before you start however...

He points the Fasces at the Senators from new Houses.

– Senator Jakov Zetsmrti, senator Theon Muzaka, senator David Ignacion, senator Belissarios Leonidos. Step forward.

Last edited:
{{Answering your question @Attalus - the Praesidium is always convened while the Senate is in session. Right now the Vicepresident and two other Speakers are sitting on the chairs on the dais together with the President.

This obviously makes it rather hard for them to discuss anything with their members of their Faction in private when there is no recess... ;) }}

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*Philaretos looks at the assembled Senators. *

*He Looks First to the Blues. "Heretics" He thinks to himself "Heretics against the Church and Traitors against the Imperium. That is all they are. They would sell their own kin to gain a just few bronze coins. They will be given the same loyalty that they have shown in the past..."*

*He looks to the Whites. His thoughts continue "Fools who would ally with the Dalessenoi, the ones who killed my brother. Why else would all of them be called to his home? They will learn that their master is a cruel one, but I must be cautious of them, for any who serve the Dalessenoi are my enemy, and will be treated as such"*

*He looks to his fellow Reds. "Jackals who will harm one who called them brother. They have no kin of mine, if I wasn't determined to be loyal to the Army, I won't be one of their number"*

*He looks to the undecided. "And perhaps the most interesting of the group. The unaffiliated. They are the wisest of us all, and the most unpredictable. Perhaps their lack of faith is reason enough to not trust them.*

Welcome my fellow Senators, it is good to see you here today. We have been called to discuss action against the heretic Angelodouloi and their "Lightbringer" along with tariffs that we should clearly pass. My thoughts are clear, we reject this heresy and give them no synod to discuss, we do not negotiate with heretics. We arrest this Lightbringer and send the Black Tagma after her, no Italians will be needed to observe her trial.

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes)

Belissarios, upon hearing his name, immediately stood and moved forward. He was scrawny and looked quite nervous, his eyes darting from face to face. He was dressed quite simply for his position, wearing a grey robe. He has a long nose and black, short hair, and he also wears spectacles.

"Yes, er... Mister Kommenos, what is it that you wish?" It is obvious that he is unfamiliar with how to adress high-ranking superiors such as the President of the Senate.

{{If I screwed something up with the format, please tell me.}}

President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:

Isaakios waits until all of the new Senators stand before him in the center of Magnaura and then adresses them.

– Kneel.

The Senators kneel and he speaks loudly, raising the Fasces above.

– Repeat after me: “„I do swear in the name of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity to perform my duties to the Throne diligently and conscientiously, to devote all my effort to serve His Imperial Majesty with counsel and to observe the laws of the Imperium Romanum. So help me Saint Markos.”

{{ @Jericho Ranger , @Rascar Capac , @Awesomematrix96 , @RedInc - your Senators must repeat these words to become, well, Senators so please do this :) }}

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes):

Decius sits down on the armchair at the bottom of the dais of Magnaura, thinking that the Komnenos sure is lost in the game the dynatoi like to play so much. Contrary to what everyone in the hall might think, this lower position does not affect him on a personal level. If anything, even this post still shines too much light on him. Far greater sins have been commited during the past six years that need to be punished. The Senate will probably be as useless as always in resolving the matter at hand. But a resolution will be found anyways, he thinks to himself.

Trying not to get too carried away by his thoughts, he focuses on Senator Leonidos, the new addition to the whites.

"Hopefully he won't be another di Capponi or Mandromenos in need of a caretaker" , he mutters to himself as the new senators are to undergo a vow of loyalty to the Augustus.

{{There were no meetings, so I guess the old leaders are still in place?}}

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes):
{{There were no meetings, so I guess the old leaders are still in place?}}
{{Yes.

Also @ThetrueColt and @zqfrmb could you please tell me what is the seat of your House? }}

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes)

"I do swear in the name of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity to perform my duties to the Throne diligently and conscientiously, to devote all my effort to serve His Imperial Magesty with consel and to observe the laws of the Imperium Romanum, so help me Saint Markos."

He states this, and when dismissed returns to his seat. No turning back now, he thought.

Reactions:
Senator Theon Muzaka (unaffiliated):

Hearing his name, Theon looks directly at the President, then slowly walks forward. Stopping at side of Leonidos, he does not say word, just waiting for further instructions. There is no emotion on his face, but his stiff posture betrays that he does not like being in center of attention.

{{...guess we have to wait others before taking oath?}}

{{...guess we have to wait others before taking oath?}}
{{Nah, just do i, it won't work otherwise. We're on a forum after all, not sitting at the table while playing D&D or something and some of us are even on different continents at this very moment now :) }}

Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos (White Demes)

*The shadowy figure who take it's place in the ranks of the whites doesn't seem to have changed. Again, Lazaros II. Melissenos is clothed in thick wide robes, the face hidden behind a veil. Rumors surround this senator like a cloak, the reason for it being, that he hasn't been seen much in the last years. Sure, the rebellion that had Constantinople in his hands in 1561 had something to do with it. When the city burned, the Melissenos household retreated behind the fortified and guarded walls of their estate, leaving less prepared pears as more easy targets for the rebels.

But even without the civil war ravaging the streets, there weren't many who had seen Lazaros. He stopped leaving the estate all together, communicating with business partners only per letter and only receive view selected guests personally, among them Senator Pylaeus.

And of course, that let rumors arise. That he was disfigured or frightened, that he wasn't a Melissenos but only a servant of the household, that he was actually several persons wearing the name like a mantle. And of course there were those, that suspected the truth, but how should they confirm it in a sea of rumors?

But when the Augustus called, Lazaros had answered and now, he sat on the senatorial benches. Lazaros nods a greeting towards Speaker Pylaeus and utters a few greeting-words towards the other whites, before taking a look at the new senators that had strengthened their ranks.

Or weakened? Only the future would tell.*

{{'kay.}}

Kneeling before the President, Theon fought to keep his emotions in check. Oaths. Responsibilities, regulations. Things to do. How he hated all this, how wanted to be in anywhere else. Even from the grave, his father's hand danced Muzakas like puppets in a strings.

He spoke, voice low, so not all senators even heard what he said, repeating oath to word.

Rising abruptly as soon as others moved, he walked back to his seat, eyes tightly set straight before him.

Last edited:
Senator Ioannes Raoul (Whites) :

*While the new Senators perform the oath, Ioannes decides to begin the discussion on the Angelodoloui matter with his fellow Whites. He sees mistrust in their eyes. Understandable, he thinks. The Raouls had been Blues since the creation of the New Senate, and it was Hadrianos, his ancestor, who made the Blue Demes what it was now. But Ioannes never was involved in mercantile matters. Since his father recognized his sin, took him from his mother and sent him to a monastery -like many aristoi bastards- he only spent his life in prayers and study. His monastery was not left out of the time of troubles and he had been forced to come beg for help, Valerios, his cousin. Valerios had welcomed him and even made him regent, a duty he now fullfilled for his son, since Valerios had died in the December Revolt.
He was wearing the clothes of a monk, with his holy cross visible by all. He looked like an inoffensive old man but the Session may change this impression*

*speaking to the Whites*

"Fellow Senators of the White Demes, it is a pleasure to be here with you. Let us cut the talking and answer directly what we are here for. What will be the stance of the Whites, the defenders of the Holy Church in the matter of the Angelodouloi ?"
*He waits for the answers of the Whites*

{{ I can't make a longer post now but the solution of Ioannes to this matter involves a lot of burning :p }}

Senator Marius Serapis of the White Demes

Marius takes his seat wearing simple robes of white silk adorned only with a cross of white gold encrusted with diamonds. He turns his still youthful face, a neatly cropped black beard barely concealing a scar on his cheek, as he gazes over the senate floor. He nods in greeting to Speaker Pylaeus and smiles at Senator Melissenos. "A pleasure meeting you again, even under these circumstances."

As Senator Leonidos makes his oath Marius ponders the bookish-looking man absentmindedly before turning in mild surprise to Ioannes Raol.

"'In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.' Noone who disputes this fact can call themselves christian. Nothing more need really be said. The Faith is not up for negotiation."
He clears his throat and smiles. "It is a pleasure to see the such a prominent house as Raoul joining the White."