• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
X

President of the Senate Nikephoros Dalassenos:

Nikephoros sighs silently before speaking.

- Noble senators, this is not a time nor place to discuss private matters. This august body has been convened to counsel His Imperial Majesty, I suggest you concentrate on the agenda.

He waves his hand at you.

- You can freely discuss other issues during the recess.

{{ Unrelated, of course: I wonder what bottled blood would taste like? }}

{{

Blood tastes like drinking thick ocean water. It is very thick and has a foul, extremely salty taste. I know this because I have cut my gums and have had my wisdom teeth removed. I don't know why anyone would like drinking blood, especially at ninety seven to ninety nine degrees Farenheit.

}}

Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of the Roman Far East (Blue Demes):

Bishop Dooley had made sure to enter the Senate floor in silence without making a grand spectacle. His distinctive appearence was certainly attention enough. He had spent the time from his entrance until now praying for Rome and for guidance in the Senate. He made the Sign of the Cross and finally took his turn.

The Mongol rose as his turn was called and smiled to the current President of the Senate. This man, and his family, was one of the largest landowners in Armenia and Azerbaijan. Many of the men under him visited a church overseen by a Mongol, Orthodox priest under him.

"Sechen Nikephoros, President of the Khuraltai of Rome, it's a honor to see you again. Many members of your noble Ail are familiar with me because, as you may know, I am blessed by God and the Imperior to be the highest ranking bishop in the Roman Far East. There are many priests under me that look similar to me, many who have administered the Eucharist and prayed with Romans, and I can assure you, and anyone else here, that I am Roman as much as you are. Also, Sechen, I wish to congratulate your consolidation of lands in my diosce. From what I can tell, you have been a just landlord and a good Roman servant. I hope one day we can meet together and discuss bettering the men on your lands in the Lord."

He looked to the gagged Senator, unfamiliar with the events happening to him, and sighed. The plague must have gotten him.

"Sechen Nikephoros, if you so will, I would like to speak on matters of the plague and its origins. My brother was a scholar who died at the plague's hands, and I myself caught it and forfeited my left eye's vision, among many scares and some lingering pain. There are many rumors swirling about the plague, and many lies as to its origin. My brother, God rest his soul, told me what he and his colleagues deemed was the agent that spread the plague. The source is a longstanding enemy of Rome, and I feel it urgent to explain the facts behind it."

The bishop smiled.

"Will you not grant an old clergyman's wish to impart some knowledge about something so critical to Rome's survival?"

-------------

{{

For those unfamiliar with the new terms Dooley as used:

Sechen = "wise man"
Ail = "great house of nobility", equivalent to Roman "dynatoi"
Chang (used earlier) = "land tax"

}}

Senator Lodovico di Capponi (White Demes):

*Noticing the Azizid*

Ah! How refreshing it is to encounter another Man of God. I myself, when not dealing with the madness and treachery of Constantinople, serve as a Chorespiscopus in Italy.

*Turning to the other Senators*

I would like to immediately address the debates to expel the Evraíoi. Though the Whites, in a addition to many crazed ideas, believed it would be fit to throw our own people into the hands of the Mongols and the Xenoi, I hope the other demes do not share such ideas. On the other topics, *Lodovico fingers the cross around his neck*, yes, even regarding Church land, I am willing to discuss.

President of the Senate Nikephoros Dalassenos:

Nikephoros answers with a smile.
"Sechen Nikephoros, President of the Khuraltai of Rome, it's a honor to see you again. Many members of your noble Ail are familiar with me because, as you may know, I am blessed by God and the Imperior to be the highest ranking bishop in the Roman Far East. There are many priests under me that look similar to me, many who have administered the Eucharist and prayed with Romans, and I can assure you, and anyone else here, that I am Roman as much as you are. Also, Sechen, I wish to congratulate your consolidation of lands in my diosce. From what I can tell, you have been a just landlord and a good Roman servant. I hope one day we can meet together and discuss bettering the men on your lands in the Lord."
- You all look familiar to me, Reverend Bishop. Yes, I 've heard a lot of your... tribe, although I must say I always considered the name "Roman Far East" to be rather pompous. After all, this "Far East" of yours consists of several themata in Caucasus, it does not span to India and beyond.

Nikephoros waves at one of the eunuchs.

- As for the meeting, I look forward to it. In fact I was recently thinking about founding a monastery or two in lands of my House. Like I said, this is nor a place nor time to discuss private matters - I'm sure you understand, Reverend.

Eunuch hands him some documents and Nikephoros starts to read them.

"Not yet, Sechen." Bishop Dooley said, winking. "-but God may yet take us to Enetkheg Uls!"

The Mongol chuckled a bit at his humor and then turned to Capponi.

"I concur with the honored Senator Capponi wholeheartedly. A nation that punishes the Yevryeichüüd is punished by God. The holy Laws of Moses do not bind us Gentiles, but we must never forget that the Yevryeichüüd were God's original Chosen People. The Yevryeichüüd may not be Saved and they do need Yesüs, but they have never raised a hand against their rightful Roman sovereign. They have done nothing but good for this country for centuries and I must add that expelling them would also expel the Messianic ones, who follow the Old Testament Law AND acknowledge Yesüs Khristed as the one true Messiah. We cannot, we MUST not send true Romans to die just because they aren't yet Saved or follow the True Faith alongside the Laws of Moses. To do so would be to further curse Rome when we are already cursed!"

The Mongol crossed his arms.

"Now, as for levying Chang on the Holy Church, I actually support it fully. Those selloffs will be regathered as the decades go on, and the fraction of land sold off is petty compared to the remaining estates. The Church teaches us to give freely to her, to render unto God what is God's, now it's time for her to defend her protector and render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. God's bride stands ready to help you raise money! In our darkest hour in generations, let it be said that the Holy Church stood by you!"

{{@CzokletMuss From an ic point, how big of confiscations of church lands do we actually talk about? With all this mali that sounds like pretty much like all of it.}}

Last edited:
{{Oh my @CzokletMuss at first you are teasing us about di Capponi and then there is not even a word about him escaping or having to face trial? So that he can just show up and try to bend it to his end? What a disappointment, seems like I have to take things into my own hands again...let's see what this position of Vice president is actually good for...}}

{{@CzokletMuss From an ic point, how big of confiscations of church lands do we actually talk about? With all this mali that sounds like pretty much like all of it.}}
{{ Church in medieval/modern times (or nowadays in Greece and Cyprus if I rememeber) was the first possesor of lands so if the decision takes a half then we could simply repay several times our previous debts :p
I think there it's more taxing some of the lands that were given a while ago }}

Senator Leon Taurinus (Red Demes): Exarch of Taurica

*He ignored Alexandros as he is gagged once more, accepting the madman will not be of use to them. He adjusts his mask and speaks in a muffled voice*

"Honorable senator di Capponi, Azizid....
I think we all realize it is critical the imperium is able to fund its defense properly, and we must support the army in these dark days against the rebels and barbarians that seek to rip the Imperium limb from limb. But unless you are able to propose a solution where the Church leaders are able to donate funds to Emperor without causing widespread chaos and disorder from confiscation of these treasures, I cannot support such a move.

The Imperium is divided already, plagued by enemies within and without, I fear that traitors within the Imperium might use such division from such a decision against the Church to inspire even greater revolt. And for that reason out of loyalty to the Emperor, I will not support such a dangerous proposal. "

Last edited:
Senator Honorius Scipion (Red demes):

*Honorius enters in the great hall of the Senate and realize that discussion already has started but soon he relax realizing that important matters are not being taken by now.

He sees Mandromenoss next to his seat, still seated in the same chair that he was last time they met. He has a gag in his mouth and his eyes still warns of his insanity. Honorius sits next to him at the same time that gives him a campion without any one realizing of it.

"Hello my fellow Senators, it seems that today we will sol...o_O"

*Honorius observes the red liquid that Senator Colombo is drinking at that moment. Is Colombo drinking blood in the Senate??? No, it can´t be."

*But he has seen that liquid all his life in the many battlefields that he has visited. He is sure nothing else can it be but at the same time it is impossible. How will any one dare to drink it? And in the same center of the Imperial power???

"Sorry. As I was saying, welcome senators. Today is the first day of the begginning of the end of...

*Honorius stops talking again when Senator di Capponi starts talking a nonsense about Mandromeno´s conspiracy and other idiots

"Pero que cojo*** is happening here today?"

Senator Scipion decides to sit down and wait until the Session begins. It seems that darker times of the Imperium will become even worse. At that moment, while he is disowning, Honorius realize of some strange face in the extreme of his field of vision. It seems an asian face, a Mongolian face in the same center of the Senate!!!!!!

Honorius facepalms himself while he starts mourning:

"Everything is lost. The own Emperor has decide that he does not appreciate this holy institution anymore and he is joking us!!!"

*He starts to swing in his seat while saying in very low voice:

"We are lost. Everything is lost. The Emperor is lost"

Last edited:
{{You are seriously sitting near me? You know I smell right?}}

Reactions:
Senator Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

*Noticing Scipion's distress Leon leans over and whispers to Scipion*

"Calm yourself friend, though things may seem in crisis we must stand together against the madness of the fools who seek the Imperium's destruction. The mongols and madmen will be dealt with in time."

{{My senator is dressed in a black robe and mask like a plague doctor and he's probably one of the more sane members of the Reds. Wow things really are that bad.}}

{{ More or less 20-25% I would say. }}

Last edited:
Senator Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

*Noticing Scipion's distress Leon leans over and whispers to Scipion*

"Calm yourself friend, though things may seem in crisis we must stand together against the madness of the fools who seek the Imperium's destruction. The mongols and madmen will be dealt with in time."

{{My senator is dressed in a black robe and mask like a plague doctor and he's probably one of the more sane members of the Reds. Wow things really are that bad.}}

Senator Honorius Scipion (Red demes):

*Honorius turns his face to the man who is speaking to him. It sounds strange, as if pronounced throug a thin wall...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

*Honorius suddenly stands up, slaps Mandromenos´face and starts running to the other corner of the Senate Hall while screaming and shaking his arms over his head. Even the worst war or action behind enemy lines has never been so scary as this Senate sessions seems.

{{You are seriously sitting near me? You know I smell right?}}

{{

Ancient Mongols never bathed and actually considered bad smells to be pleasant because (I assume) they smell like victory and/or calvary. Presumably, though, Christian Mongols bathed themselves at their baptism like Queen Isabella did in RL.

}}