• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos

*A thickly clothed figure enters the courtroom. Her body is wrapped in thick robes, the hands gloved and the face hidden behind a thick veil, only slim, maybe haggard features barely visible while no details can be spotted. The robes are unembellished but their owner is easily identified for his clothing habit are well known by now: Lazaros II. Melissenos, Senator of his house, founder and director of the Melissenos Bank and one of the two of his family who survived the plaque and the riots in Constantinople.

His movements are flowing and are showing a certain aristocratic elegance as he closes in with the table in the middle of the room and seats himself. As he speaks towards Senator Mandromenos, his voice sounds soft and steady.*

Greetings, fellow senator. I assume, that this show of force outside is yours? If so, I wonder what you intend to accomplish. Would you like to explain yourself?
{{Gentlemen, I do believe we have our first, unofficial, female senator. :D}}

Reactions:

I do indeed disagree, Senator... excuse me, I don't know you name yet. The point is, I'm not sure I trust you, or any one else who will appear today. And bringing an army instead of a few chosen men isn't trust building.

*Lazaros falls silent for a moment, before continuing.*

But now they are here and that can't be changed. There are more important topics at hand. Let's see if all members of our demes will be able to attend in this troubled times. Unity will be important on the senate floor.

Last edited:
Senator Iskandar Ouranos

*The quiet footsteps of an old man calmly echo as Iskandar Ouranos enters the hall. His grandson and future heir aided him to make the trip to the island, as the Senator's son was killed by the Black Plague. The old man makes the sign of the cross as he reveals his worn out face from under his clock. The ravages of time have made their toll on the elderly man, marks from the Plague still haunt his movements and face, yet the man walks with a certain humbleness and pride. He walks inside the room with his cane tapping onto the ground, and sits down silently.

He gazes at the two other senators with him, his eyes scheming and deeply thinking.*

"If this is the new generation of White Demes, I must say I have yet to be impressed... I remember when shows of military force was something only the Reds did, and that hiding oneself was meant for spies and cowards - O how the times have changed indeed."

*Iskandar does not let go of his penetrating gaze on the men before him, waiting for their answer.*

{{
  • They say that during sack of Antiocheia while the Timurid soldiers were looting churches one of the holy eikon of Saint Markos has began emmiting heavenly light which killed the vile heathens.
Love this :p
And well if you can afford such things during the Plague I can't imagine how it will be when we return to normalcy :D }]

{{Gentlemen, I do believe we have our first, unofficial, female senator. :D}}

{{May she not be the last. Seriously, I'm hoping the Imperium eventually gets gender equality. Female Senators would spice things up.}}

Reactions:
Lazaros II. Melissenos

*Lazaros takes a look at Iskandar*

I saw my grandfather, my uncle, my sister... *he falls silent for a moment, before continuing emphatically* ...and several of our servants die to the illness that emptied the streets of this city. I won't take the risk to become it's next victim. I wouldn't leaf the estate at all, if not for the call of the emperor at our houses to assemble and give council.

I do indeed disagree, Senator... excuse me, I don't know you name yet. The point is, I'm not sure I trust you, or any one else who will appear today. And bringing an army instead of a few chosen men isn't trust building.

*Lazaros falls silent for a moment, before continuing.*

But now they are here and that can't be changed. There are more important topics at hand. Let's see if all members of our demes will be able to attend in this troubled times. Unity will be important on the senate floor.

Senator Alexandros Mandromenos

Alexandros, my name is Alexandros. Your lack of faith in your fellow Whites is saddening, but understandable. For who can we trust in these times but the LORD and the emperor? I hope my dispaly today will lessen your fear however, for I assure you there is no threat from me.

Senator Iskandar Ouranos

*The quiet footsteps of an old man calmly echo as Iskandar Ouranos enters the hall. His grandson and future heir aided him to make the trip to the island, as the Senator's son was killed by the Black Plague. The old man makes the sign of the cross as he reveals his worn out face from under his clock. The ravages of time have made their toll on the elderly man, marks from the Plague still haunt his movements and face, yet the man walks with a certain humbleness and pride. He walks inside the room with his cane tapping onto the ground, and sits down silently.

He gazes at the two other senators with him, his eyes scheming and deeply thinking.*

"If this is the new generation of White Demes, I must say I have yet to be impressed... I remember when shows of military force was something only the Reds did, and that hiding oneself was meant for spies and cowards - O how the times have changed indeed."

*Iskandar does not let go of his penetrating gaze on the men before him, waiting for their answer.*

Welcome to our meeting Senator Ouranos. I see your heir has joined you here today. How did he like the guards I stationed outside the palace for our protection? The times may be hard, but we need to make time for pleasantries. We can't start until more of us arrive anyways.

Senator Lodovico di Capponi:

*A shrivled, husk of a man enters the room, he bears no resemblance to the Capponi's of old. His long lasting residence in Pisa was cut short when all Romanoi were expelled, but there is a still lingering Pisan-ness to his Italian accent. The long journey to Constantinople was fraught with danger, as Italia becomes more and more rebellious, and his position of Chorepiscopus was the only shield between him and the "mobile vulgus". He shudders at the slightest sound. He screams at the slightest glimmer of steel. He shrinks away from the men in tall places. He is a broken relic, the last relic, of an Italia that no longer exists.*

Greetings... m-m-m-y fell-low S-s-senators, I-i-i hope to... *Lodovico jumps at the movement of a servant, and takes several moments to recompose himself* I-i-it's a ple-pleasure. *He sits down, near the door, already set in a mindset of escape*

Senator Iskandar Ouranos

Lazaros II. Melissenos

*Lazaros takes a look at Iskandar*

I saw my grandfather, my uncle, my sister... *he falls silent for a moment, before continuing emphatically* ...and several of our servants die to the illness that emptied the streets of this city. I won't take the risk to become it's next victim. I wouldn't leaf the estate at all, if not for the call of the emperor at our houses to assemble and give council.

*Iskandar gives a curt nod to Lazaros*

You are not the only one to have lost loved ones to the plague, the Lord deemed them fit to enter heaven with Him. It may be better there than in this hell on Earth we live today.

Alexandros, my name is Alexandros. Your lack of faith in your fellow Whites is saddening, but understandable. For who can we trust in these times but the LORD and the emperor? I hope my dispaly today will lessen your fear however, for I assure you there is no threat from me.

Welcome to our meeting Senator Ouranos. I see your heir has joined you here today. How did he like the guards I stationed outside the palace for our protection? The times may be hard, but we need to make time for pleasantries. We can't start until more of us arrive anyways.

*The elderly man looks upon Alexandros.*

Armed men are ill tidings in these harsh times Senator. I have seen too many a guard kill nobles despite being told to protect them.

*He looks at Senator Mandromenos closely, his crooked neck seemingly popping out as he looked hard.*

But I feel I have no reason to doubt you, for distrust is the seed of all sins.

*As the Capponi Senator comes in, Iskandar merely scoffs at the state of the once proud Italian now broken, good riddance, he thinks.*

*A shrivled, husk of a man enters the room, he bears no resemblance to the Capponi's of old. His long lasting residence in Pisa was cut short when all Romanoi were expelled, but there is a still lingering Pisan-ness to his Italian accent. The long journey to Constantinople was fraught with danger, as Italia becomes more and more rebellious, and his position of Chorepiscopus was the only shield between him and the "mobile vulgus". He shudders at the slightest sound. He screams at the slightest glimmer of steel. He shrinks away from the men in tall places. He is a broken relic, the last relic, of an Italia that no longer exists.*

Greetings... m-m-m-y fell-low S-s-senators, I-i-i hope to... *Lodovico jumps at the movement of a servant, and takes several moments to recompose himself* I-i-it's a ple-pleasure. *He sits down, near the door, already set in a mindset of escape*

Senator Alexandros Mandromenos:

*This is a white senator? He looks like he will crumple under a hard stare. How can he have the strength to make decisions for the Emperor? No matter, he could be coerced into voting for the right cause*

Greetings Senator di Capponi, it is good to see you here, take a seat so we can discuss matters.

I understand your caution Ouranos, but these men are highly disciplined and loyal, they pose no threat to anyone but the rabble that may attack us. However, it is good that at least one of us recognizes the need to take direct action to ensure our safety.

{{it will be nice to get one more senator in on the debate, but not it is at least 4 of 7.}}

Ah! Alexandros Mandromenos i-i-i-t's a p-p-pleasure! I-i-i-hope to b-b-b-be of use to the esteemed white d-d-d-demes. We sh-sh-should m-m-m-ake great strides for th-th-e Imperium!

Last edited:
{Loving the senators! I'm surprised no one tried a female senator before, a very creative idea, and not without precedent as IIRC there was at least one female pope. Was Capponi one of the plague/riot survivors or is he merely jumpy from the wars in Italy?}

Reactions:
Senator Iskandar Ouranos:

*Iskandar looks disdainfully at the motley group of senators before him: a pawn, a man of ambition and a cloaked man, he shakes his head all the while sighing to himself.*

Senator Mandromenos, I will part with you something before we can get onto bigger matters. I see in you what so many members of the White Demes turned the Empire into. I am someone that upholds truths, and your demonstration of power does not impress this old man.

Do not expect power, wealth and glory from the Senate, to claim the institution is even valuable can be contested. I say this to all of you...

*He points his crooked finger at all the White Demes in .*

I warn you of this before you find out yourself the hard way at your first Senate session, like so many of us did in the past...

*The old Senator suddenly looks melancholic and tired at the mention of the times before, looking off into the distance to the waters of the Bosporus.*

{Loving the senators! I'm surprised no one tried a female senator before, a very creative idea, and not without precedent as IIRC there was at least one female pope. Was Capponi one of the plague/riot survivors or is he merely jumpy from the wars in Italy?}

{ Its currently against the rules to create a female senator. Also, Capponi is not a surviving Senator, but he was alive during those times. Mercello Giovanni met his end at the hands of the riots. Lodovico has been quite traumatized by the sudden and spectacular fall of Italia. }

Senator Iskandar Ouranos:

*Iskandar looks disdainfully at the motley group of senators before him: a pawn, a man of ambition and a cloaked man, he shakes his head all the while sighing to himself.*

Senator Mandromenos, I will part with you something before we can get onto bigger matters. I see in you what so many members of the White Demes turned the Empire into. I am someone that upholds truths, and your demonstration of power does not impress this old man.

Do not expect power, wealth and glory from the Senate, to claim the institution is even valuable can be contested. I say this to all of you...

*He points his crooked finger at all the White Demes in .*

I warn you of this before you find out yourself the hard way at your first Senate session, like so many of us did in the past...

*The old Senator suddenly looks melancholic and tired at the mention of the times before, looking off into the distance to the waters of the Bosporus.*

*The old man is weary from times long since past, before the wars, before the plague, before the rebellions. Weary of war and death and struggle. Such a man is not suited for leadership, but that does not mean his doesn't have his uses*

Senator Ouranos, I think you underestimate my understanding of the realities of Senatorship. I understand the meaning of sacrifice.

*Alexandros raises his left arm, the bending at the elbow stops abruptly a little after the forearm reached 90 degrees*

The Xenoi gave me this injury in Aragon, where I led both Roman and Spaniard in battle. In that war and the wars that followed, I sold weapons to the Army for less than what it took to produce them. I know the need to give ones time, gold, and well-being for the good of the Imperium. I also know that the Imperium needs many kinds of people and perspectives to ensure its continued survival. Ouranos, your experience in serving the Imperium in the Senate is invaluable, especially when it is considered that only three such people exist. I pray that you feel inclined to share that experience with us here so we can decide on a proper action. We are truly blessed by the LORD to have two of them in our number, even if one of them is not present. It is a shame that we are missing three of our number, it will be difficult to achieve unity among ourselves if we aren't here.

{{Glad to see people are lovehating Alexandros. He's meant to be a divisive figure and its good to see hes doing exactly that.}}

Last edited:
{{Behold the dominant party of the Senate on a quest to save the Imperium.
Can't wait to see what the Emperor thinks of the two hundred men hanging out at the faction meeting, if letters were suspicious what will they think about this?}}

Reactions:
{{Behold the dominant party of the Senate on a quest to save the Imperium.
Can't wait to see what the Emperor thinks of the two hundred men hanging out at the faction meeting, if letters were suspicious what will they think about this?}}

{{It isn't two hundred men at the faction meeting. There are only twenty-five, the two hundred are the number of soldiers who returned with Alexandros from Aragon, he doesn't feel the need to demand the services of all two hundred at once for anything less than a proper attack on the island (numbering in the thousands) by rioting peasants, or other full blown disaster}}

Senator Marius Serapis of the White Demes:

The journey from Cyprus had been longer then expected but finally, in the late hours of the evening, he arrived. When his small ship docked outside the Palace of Justice he looked out over the smouldering ruins of Constantinople one last time before heading inside the building. There was much to be done if the Imperium was to be saved, and failure today would make it all so much harder.

Marius enters the Courtroom, leaving his handful of guards behind and bringing with him only a scribe carrying a satchel of scrolls and wearing the robes of the Monastery of the Divine Light. Marius himself is young, merely 26 years of age, but already weathered. Though his face and body is that of a soldier his clothes are those of a monk. Simple white robes of the finest white Hindustani cotton, adorned only by a small holy icon around his neck.

He looks out over the assembled Senators, most of whom had already arrived and were already establiching precedence amongst themselves. He walks forth among them, greeting the militaristic Mandomeros, forced to defend his bold display, with a courteous nod. The ancient Senator Ouranos, expressing his displeasure with the young generation, gets a deeper bow in respect for his age and continued survival. Ludovico Capponi, cowering and jumping at shadows, gets a puzzeled glance and a smile. If he was truly the best of what that resourceful family had to offer there had to be more beneath the surface than this sniveling wretch.

The mysterious Melissenos, hiding his body much like the Emperor himself, he greets with a handshake. His line had once been great, Marius had been told. His predecessors had been able allies of Serapis in the past, but this new creature could be anything. Did he hide out of vanity? Or was it the marks of plague... Marius' grasp stiffens and he withdraws his hand perhaps a bit faster than what is polite. Fool! he thinks to himself. Did you come here, of all places, just to catch the plague? "It is a relief to see the House of Melissenos still among us. I have heard of your losses, My Father held great esteem for your House, and you have my condolences. Let us hope that what we accomplish here today will help others in the Imperium to avoid such grim fates in the future."

Last edited:
@Serpent the whole thing has to be in italics.

Reactions:
Senator Decius Pylaeus:

Three robed figures appear at the corner of the square in front of the Palace of Justice. They look like beggars or some run-down monks that are seen all too often these days.

*The situation of the estate in the city is stable for the moment. I should not need to worry. With the arrival of the Roman survivors last week I am confident that no critical damage will be delivered to the library.*

"Thank you for the company, my friends. Now if you could just take these..."

As if recognizing this as a secret command, something gleaming in the sun, presumably metal, exchanges between the hands of the men. The speed of the process make it impossible for the untrained eye to identify what was transferred or where it was hidden before.

"Best of luck to all of us. You should see what your brother is up to, helping him to ensure the security of the meeting should be our primal concern right now."

The two (former) Athanatoi guards leave the square, heading straight to the army headquarters of Prinkepos Island. While passing the entrance, Decius raises an eyebrow while passing two dozen soldiers dressed up like they are some kind of exotic bird.

---

Decius enters the courtroom. So far, five other whites have arrived. Decius leaves his torn and worn robe at the entrance, revealing a layer of impeccable white clothing. Embroidered on the white silk are a couple of black regalia: The Imperial eagle showing his status as a senator on the chest and back, a symbol representing his position as a professor in the great pandidakterion on his left arm {{ I leave the choice of the symbol to the AARgustus @CzokletMuss }} and a skull that is shattered by a cross, marking him as a survivor of the black plague, on the right.

Interestingly, there is no aftermath of the black death visible on his exposed parts of the skin. Also, upon close examination, one could see that the eagles appear to shed a tear from each of their heads.

"On behalf of the Imperial senate and the staunch defenders of everything that is worth fighting for, I heartily greet and welcome all of my fellow whites. First of all, my heart is filled with great joy, because my old friend senator Ouranos is with us today. Let us work together for the sake of the Imperium once more!"
*He walks up to senator Ouranos and offers his hand in a gesture of a kind and warm greeting.*

"Now, I do not know the rest of you yet. But I hope that we can all work together in this great crisis that is plaguing the Imperium. For those of you that do not know me, I am Decius Pylaeus, first of my name and one of the few veteran senators of the halls of Magnaura."

The new senators are quite unlike their predecessors. A cowardly di Capponi? A humble monk of the Serapis? The Mandromenos seems quite militaristic for a white, but in these times, Decius is relieved that whites do what has to be done. The times are always changing.

"Before we start, I'd like to inquire about the two dozen upstarts dressed as clowns in front of the entrance. Is this some mockery of the red demes to mark us as a target in these times of unrest? You should know that an inconspicuous appearance saves more lives these days than an impressive display of wealth. Just have a look at senator Melissenos, he knows what has to be done in these dark times, shrouding one's presence in mistery is worth a hundred swords."

---

It appears that after all these years and the downfall of the Imperium, Decius hasn't changed too much. But beneath the surface, he evolved from an optimistic scholar and open-minded diplomat to a cunning spy, ruthlessly and mercilessly working for the sake of the Imperium and to save his family from all evil. He has become able to adapt his exterior composure to anything the circumstances require.