• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought I had said in the email that Alexios was a Blue Deme? He's not counted as one in the list above..

If I do have to wait until the session to declare, can I at least attend the blue demes meeting?
Oops, my bad - I'll fix this in a minute.
Unaffiliated Senators can't attend to any meetings.

I have been reading this thread with great enjoyment ever since it began, and with the opportunity to play a (German) Senator now, I would very much like to participate. However, I am currently spending a semester abroad in China, where Google is blocked by the Great Firewall. Is there any way to join the Senate without Google access?
Sure, in this case we can make an exception - just send me everything via PM here on the forum :)

SIXTH SENATE SESSION - ANNOUNCEMENT

6x6rCbi.jpg

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos hereby announces that Sacred Emperor Theodoros I Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, in his wisdom decided to

CALL THE SIXTH SENATE SESSION

to seek counsel of the noble Senators who, guided by the Holy Spirit, are going to debate and vote on the following matters:

SENATUS CONSULTUM
(1) Reform of the imperial administration (National Focus)

His Imperial Majesty has introduced the following bill to the Imperial Senate:

”Reformatio de Administratio Romanorum” Act

The Imperial Senate, excersicing legislative power it was given by His Imperial Majesty Markos III Angelos and confirmed in Edictum de Senatum Imperialis by His Imperial Majesty Basileios III Angelos, acting on authority of His Imperial Majesty Theodoros I Angelos and with His approval, decided what follows:

1. That in this dire hour the very foundations of the Imperium are threatened due to consequences ofthe Black Death, barbarian invasions and the Soulless.
2. That to preserve the Imperium the Administration has to be immediately reorganized to collect taxes, govern imperial lands and dispense justice in the name of His Imperial Majesty with greater efficiency.
3. That in order to achieve this goal special powers have to be temporarily granted to Megas Logothetes.
3. That therefore all Senators agree that the Reform of the imperial administration (Administrative Focus) is of the utmost importance for the prosperity and stability of the Imperium.

Bill adopted by the Imperial Senate on 1 January 7068 Anno Mundi and submitted to His Imperial Majesty for approval on the same day.
The noble Senators may propose amendments to the bill of His Imperial Majesty.

RESOLUTIONS
(2) Imperial Navy – mothballing all fleets (budget )

His Imperial Majesty decided to ask the Imperial Senate for counsel in the following matter:
Shall the fleets of the Imperial Navy be mothballed effective immediately in order to ease the burden of the Aerarium?

(3) Exarchates – raising tariffs (subjects)
His Imperial Majesty decided to ask the Imperial Senate for counsel in the following matter:
Shall We raise tariffs for Exarchate of Abyssinia and Exarchate Africanus?

(4) Expropriation of the Jews (decision)
Shall We punish the Kristos-killers for spreading the Black Plague by expropriating them and banning them from all imperial offices?

(5) Enlisting privateers (decision)
Shall We order Megas Droungarios to enlist privateers to raid fleets of Pisans and Westerners with greater efficiency?

(6) Seizure of lands of the Holy Church (decision)
Shall We issue a decree by which some of the lands of the Holy Church shall be taken by the Imperial Administraion, thus increasing the revenue of Aerarium?

SENATE POLICIES
Sacred Emperor Theodoros I Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom requested the Imperial Senate to prepare a general policy to be presented to for approval before His Imperial Majesty concerning one of the following issues:
  • Reducing expenses and increasing revenue of the Imperial Treasury (20 points)
  • Increasing efficiency of the Imperial Administration (20 points)
  • Increasing effectivness of the Imperial Army on the battlefield (20 points)
The policy proposed by the Imperial Senate must directly adress one of the aforementioned issues to be accepted by His Imperial Majesty.

POLICIES
bGloP8t.jpg

SCHEDULE (WARSAW TIME)
  • Opening of the Session – 10:00 p.m. 23 September (Wednesday)
  • DEBATE (2 DAYS) - 10:00 p.m. 23 September – 10:00 p.m. 25 September
  • RECESS (1 DAY) - 10:00 p.m. 25 September – 10:00 p.m. 26 September
  • DEBATE (2 DAY) - 10:00 p.m. 26 September – 10:00 p.m. 28 September
  • VOTING (1 DAY) - 10:00 p.m. 28 September – 10:00 p.m. 29 September
  • Closing of the Session - 10:00 p.m. 29 September (Tuesday)

The Session may start earlier or later than announced - I'm announcing it now so that you can discuss the subjects of the Session during your Faction Meetings. In such case there will be a separate announcement.

You will be provided with complete information of the state of the Imperium as well as conditions and effects of the decision in the post opening the Session.

My comments:
  • The Black Death seems to be more devastating than I've expected – I may have gone too far in a few places.
  • The most important thing is to balance the budget. Excessive spendings means loans, loans means bankruptcy and bankruptcy means -100% morale malus and Imperial Army completely hopeless, which means every single enemy of the Imperium (that is basically all countries in Europe and beyond) can DOW and win.
  • I really count on Senators giving me some good Senate Policy. Seriously, choose well and the situation may become much worse.
  • Balancing the budget means disbanding whole armies and fleets – yes, it is that bad.
  • For the forseeable future we may forget about unlocking new tech, I need every point of MP to deal with the Black Death and what's coming...

As for senatus consulta and resolutions:
  • Reform of the imperial administration (National Focus): as usual you will be choosing National Focus
  • Imperial Navy – mothballing all fleets (budget: expenses have to be drastically cut ASAP or the Imperium will face another bankruptcy in year or two
  • Exarchates – raising tariffs (subjects): likewise
  • Expropriation of the Jews (decision): custom decision which offers trade-off between one-off huge profit and unpleasant modifiers
  • Enlisting privateers (decision): vanilla decision
  • Seizure of lands of the Holy Church (decision): custom decision which offers trade-off between one-off huge profit and unpleasant modifiers

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ohhh, this will be interesting. I'll probably support what's (really) best now though, we need the Imperium alive if we want the AAR to continue :p

The Black Death seems to be more devastating than I've expected – I may have gone too far in a few places.

:eek:

Czoklet becomes one of us softies!

Edit: Can you show us an up to date pick of the economic ledger so we can see where the most money can be made / spending be cut for the policies?

So, uh... What happened with that plan of a new rome in Australia?

Banished from rational thought and pleasant company like the rest of the Blue ideas and the people who support them.

Anyways, what is the benefits/tradeoffs of the jew expulsion and church lands decision?

Last edited:
:eek:

Czoklet becomes one of us softies!

Edit: Can you show us an up to date pick of the economic ledger so we can see where the most money can be made / spending be cut for the policies?
I was refering to Plinket's review of Episode I - but yeah, I may have gone a little overboard.

All information will be provided to you before the Session starts.

I'm hoping you make the Black Death a little less brutal in the mod when it comes out... Until then, we have to deal with the present issue. Can we ask how unpleasant the consequences for expelling the Jews will be in the long term?

Can we vote to cancel policies? The Naval School Act seems a bit of a luxury at this time, and ADM points are sorely needed. And I don't really see why it's draining ADM when it's clearly more related to DIP.

So, uh... What happened with that plan of a new rome in Australia?

The Chinese super empire was probably waiting for us there.

And wow the unaffiliates are dying out. And the factions are pretty evenly sized

Last edited:
All of the policies when enacted remain in force until the next Session. Every Session all of them are automatically revoked and you vote starting from a scratch. Naval School Act is a vanilla policy, so don't ask me :p

Only 6 seats left in the Senate! You can see some basic information about current Senators here on Google Doc.
During the weekend I will give all players pages with their Houses on Google Drive and update the first page of the thread with their Senators' bio.

Can we vote to cancel policies? The Naval School Act seems a bit of a luxury at this time, and ADM points are sorely needed. And I don't really see why it's draining ADM when it's clearly more related to DIP.
That one is not enacted though

It's nice seeing the age gap between the senators, but Czoklet I think those death dates are a little optimistic ;). If I make it to 85 I'm either the luckiest senator in the Imperium, or I ditched the Emperor and escaped to the Bahamas

When submitting applications, are there any noble houses that we are not permitted to use (I'm concerned with Komnenos and Paleologos)?

Yes, obviously - as a general rule you can't use Houses already established in the story, like Komnenos, Doukas or Dalassenos. Especially House Angelos is out of the question. Powerful and ancient Houses are also forbidden - you can't for instance make a House Julio-Claudian and claim that it's the same House as the one existing in the 1st century or Byzantine House Makedon from 9th century.

However, you may generally use historical Houses like say Jagiellon or Habsburg - this is a separate timeline, so they are nowhere near as significant as they historically were.

Isn't this in the rules? It should be; if not I'll fix this ASAP.

Should there be a proposal to force the vassals of the imperium to either become independent entities needing to only pay scuttage? Or rather make them into a March to better hold off the unclean.

I think the imperium has seen darker days. The plague had the luck of hitting at the same time the imperium had started up an offensive. If it had hit before war with the horde or before during the xenos slave wars it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. The future lies in expansion in the south along the African coast. It will revitalize trade with a new trade node to dominate. Colonies away from the coast will inflate the armies and won't revolt.

But I am just a court enunich what do I know.

Reactions:
three cranky old men

Guys pls - Decius is 46 now. He is a capable veteran who bested the black death, surely he can lead to senate to new heights. So if there are any more posts regarding 3 "old" men, you are in for some duels ;)

Reactions:
Guys pls - Decius is 46 now. He is a capable veteran who bested the black death, surely he can lead to senate to new heights. So if there are any more posts regarding 3 "old" men, you are in for some duels ;)

TELL EM BRO

Reactions:
I like how the Blues will be completely useless in the short future :
- exploration ? Too costly and also cause the Plague
- the Navy ? serves nothing in the current situation
- trade ? has always been secondary in the whole finances
- Innovation ? Well the new heresy and the Plague will surely mean a return to the good old ways of treating those who do not think like us

So basically we are screwed fellow blues :p

Reactions: