• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah but these events do limit role-playing by forcing some, well, events on your characters. Though to be honest I seriously doubt anyone will spare any attention to them concerning what the next Senate Session will be about.

I'd say to keep some though. One demes may say it has changed but habits are hard to change ;) (i say that for all be it Blues, Reds or Whites)
Agreed, the White still have and will have many corrupt and incompetent members just like the Blues have and will have many greedy, selfish merchants.
In my opinion these events should just become rarer while new events involving the new-white members come more often.
Oh, and we shouldn't be able to just make our faction better in-game though role play without maluses- if we're talking whites for example, the new white events should be both positive and negative.
Yeah but these events do limit role-playing by forcing some, well, events on your characters. Though to be honest I seriously doubt anyone will spare any attention to them concerning what the next Senate Session will be about.
Well, when we reach the part of both arguing about important members AND insult other Senators we may, haha :D

Problem being that if we listened to ourselves the senators would be ubermensch :p

Its not like we need to get rid of those events. Maybe adding a line where it limits those events to, for example, before of 1530.

Edit: That way we could see a development of the imperium political and cultural changes through the time. Besides you don't need to do it all alone Czoklet, you have a mini-community that, I'm sure, its willing you help you (including me).

Stop teasing us that much! :D

Stop teasing us that much! :D

Should I?

nEkY47N.jpg

Its not like we need to get rid of those events. Maybe adding a line where it limits those events to, for example, before of 1530.

Edit: That way we could see a development of the imperium political and cultural changes through the time. Besides you don't need to do it all alone Czoklet, you have a mini-community that, I'm sure, its willing you help you (including me).
Noted, I would gladly use your help seeing that I expect to be pretty busy in September as well :)

Reactions:
Should I?

nEkY47N.jpg

Noted, I would gladly use your help seeing that I expect to be pretty busy in September as well :)

trap.png

Somehow this is all obviously part of the Pisans master plan.

Reactions:
Yeah, I'll do what I can to help out as well. Do not remove the events now, history is written only once - now we need to deal with it. This IS madness, after all.

And about new events, there should be a downside, I just couldn't think of one quickly while I was writing my post.

I'm back, after two awful months, and I'm glad to see this aar is still alive and well. And I'm almost as glad to see it hasn't moved on too far without me. I'd half expected to have missed a couple of senate sessions and having been kicked out of the game, but I see life has made demands on you as well Czokletmuss. Still, a lot has happened and a lot has yet to be done, and I'm looking forwards to seeing what fate awaits the Imperium and its Senate in these terrible times.

It would be great if we could reform the faction bonuses and events, with balanced positives and negatives. I'd imagine the Whites would be good at tax efficiency, production, administrative efficiency, stability, revolt risk and missionary strength, and bad at trade efficiency, discipline, morale, naval combat efficiency, and arguably interest rates (the new Whites being pro fiscal discipline and anti deficit spending. The Blues, being into private finance should perhaps be better at securing loans trough their private connections (though the Whites are connected to the extremely wealthy Faith, so the point could be made either way.) Perhaps the faction in power could also influence the monarch point gain in addition to the bonus provided by the focus, giving a bonus to the factions respective area of interest, since the ideas or policies that put the factions in power also drains their needed points.

Welcome back Serpent, long time no see :)

Yes, you will have the option to change them during Faction Meetings before the next Session. I don't know exactly how this is going to work but I'll come up with something by the time next chapter is released. Remember however that Faction bonuses can't bee too strong - it would go against the spirit of the story (Imperium is absolute autocracy after all) and I don't want to buff myself, quite the contrary as you may have noticed ;)

I am (pleasantly... for a given value of pleasant) surprised that Bubba has survived, albeit blinded. Well, such is Rome.
Pisa has fallen?!! Glorious! Strip them to the bone and salt the barren earth.

The Whites have proven themselves as corrupt as any other politicians. I am not surprised.

I second the notion of expanded events. Perhaps something to refer to the "Renaissance" of sorts, both positive (boost to base tax and advisors?) and negative (filthy republican traitors, instability etc?) I assume the Senate's power will expand at least slightly as the period goes on, and of course even an autocracy could change and evolve. It would be horrifyingly fascinating to contemplate what such a world would look like. This assumes, of course, that Rome survives the war.
Of course it will. Right? Right?

This assumes, of course, that Rome survives the war. Of course it will. Right? Right?
Sure...

WvCV1Az.png

Just kidding, in this universe Turks are long gone - just like the French and English and Russians and several other groups - so at least there is no risk that 1453 will happen.

OR WILL IT?!

Somehow this is all obviously part of the Pisans master plan.
- So, was getting conquered part of your Master Plan?
- Of course!
- And what is the next step in this master plan of yours?
- To crash mankind. Leaving no survivors.

Reactions:
Wow. You really can't let yourself win can you Czo? As soon as you win a minor victory and have things looking up you get involved in four wars and a rebellion. The Diabolus and the other Dark Powers are laughing tonight.

On a side note: can it be assumed that certain Roman government branches (the Inquisition or equivalent in particular) have the right to operate freely in the vassals of the empire?

Last edited:
UPDATE

I've finished the new revised rules of this interactive AAR:

RULES OF PROCEDURE

TITLE I. The Imperial Senate
Part 1: The Imperial Senate

Article 1 – The Imperial Senate
1. The sacred Emperor basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom reforms the Senatus Imperialis to serve Him with counsel and to prepare bills whenever it is deemed necessary by Him.
2. His Imperial Majesty entrusts the Senate with a certain degree of His power carried out by the Senate in His name and in accordance with His will.
3. The Senate has no other powers than those bestowed upon it by His Imperial Majesty.
4. The powers of the Senate may be revoked or suspended anytime by His Imperial Majesty.
5. The Rules of Procedure may be changed anytime by His Imperial Majesty.

Part 2: Legislative powers

Article 2 – Legislative powers
1. His Imperial Majesty is the source of all laws.
2. The right of legislative initiative belongs only to His Imperial Majesty.
3. The Senate may issue senatus consulta by the authority vested in it by His Imperial Majesty.
4. Senatus consultum approved by His Imperial Majesty has the force of law.

Article 3 – Senatus consultum
Senatus consultum may concern only the following matters:
- National Ideas;
- National Focus;
- Policies.

Article 4 – Senatorial Policies
1. On its own initative the Senate may propose Senatorial Policies to His Imperial Majesty.
2. Senatorial Policies are proposed for approval of His Imperial Majesty as senatus consulta.

In AAR terms this means that whatever the Senators decide in a form of senatus consultum is binding for me.

Part 3: Advisory powers

Article 5 – Advisory powers
1. His Imperial Majesty may ask the Senate for counsel in a particular matter.
2. The Senate may issue resolutions to express its opinion on the matter presented to it by His Imperial Majesty.
3. Resolutions do not have the force of a law.

In AAR terms this means that whatever the Senators decide in a form of resolution is NOT binding for me.

TITLE II. Organisation
Part 1: The Senators

Article 6 – Number of Senators
1. The Senate consists of 24 delegates of the Noble Houses.
2. Each Noble House has 1 seat in the Senate.
3. To be eligible to become Senator, member of the Noble House have to be:
- male;
- at least 25 years old;
- experienced in the service of the Imperium;
4. The privilege of representation in the Senate is granted and revoked by His Imperial Majesty.

Article 7 – Album Senatorium
List of the Senators (Album Senatorium) is maintained and revised by the President of the Senate.

Article 8 – Prerogatives and duties
1. The Senator has a right to
- vote on bills of His Imperial Majesty and the Senate;
- propose amendments to the bills;
- participate in the debate during the Session;
- join or leave Factions.
2. The Senator may not hold any other office.
3. The Senator has to reside in Konstantinoupolis at all time.

Article 9 – Term of office
1. The Senators, before the commencement of the performance of their duties, shall take the following oath in the presence of the Senate:
- „I do swear in the name of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity to perform my duties to the Throne diligently and conscientiously, to devote all my effort to serve His Imperial Majesty with counsel and to observe the laws of the Imperium Romanum. So help me Saint Markos.”
2. The Senators serve until they are removed from office.
3. The Senators are removed from office in case of:
- death;
- being charged with treason or heresy;
- flagrant violation of the rules.
4. In case its delegate to the Senate is removed from office, the Noble House has to choose new delegate before the next Session or it will lose its seat in the Senate.

Part 2: The Factions

Article 10 – Senatorial Factions
1. The Senators may organise themselves within the Factions.
2. The Factions are as follows:
- the White Demes;
- the Red Demes;
- the Blue Demes.
3. The Factions may propose amendments to the bills of His Imperial Majesty and the Senate.

Article 11 – Membership
1. Membership in the Factions is voluntary.
2. A Senator may be a member of only one Faction at a time.

Article 12 – Faction Speakers
1. Each Faction has a Speaker who represents it before the Senate and other Factions.
2. Speaker is elected among the members of his Faction by acclamation.
3. Speaker:
- proposes Senatorial Policies in the name of his Faction;
- requests a Meeting for his Faction;
- notifies members of his Faction via PM of the Meeting;

Article 13 – Faction Meeting
1. Each Faction may hold a Meeting for its members to discuss public affairs of the state between Sessions.
2. Meeting lasts for 72 hours and is requested by the Speaker
3. Meetings take place in:
- Atrium of Church of the Virgin of the Pharos (Meeting of the White Demes);
- Hall of Augusteus in Palace of Daphne (Meeting of the Red Demes);
- Neptune's Balcony in Boukelon Palace (Meeting of the Blue Demes).
4. Speaker ensures order and decorum during the Meeting, while members of the Imperial Senate Guard ensure safety of the Senators.

Part 3: The President

Article 14 – President of the Senate
1. The President of the Senate presides over the debates of the Senate, safeguards the rights of the Senate, as well as represents the Senate in external matters.
2. The President is nominated by His Imperial Majesty.
3. The President exercises his prerogatives in accordance with will of His Imperial Majesty.
4. Speaker of the dominant Faction is given a title of Vicepresident of the Senate and an honorary seat during the Session.
5. President may delegate some of his responsibilities to the Vicepresident.

Article 15– Prerogatives and duties
1. President also:
- convenes the Sessions of the Senate;
- introduces bills of His Imperial Majesty to the Senate;
- invites guest to the Sessions of the Senate;
- announces results of the Sessions of the Senate;
- maintains Album Senatorium.
2. President ensures order and decorum during the Sessions of the Senate with help of the Imperial Senate Guard.
3. President issues penalties in case of violations of the rules and removes Senators from the office by the order of His Imperial Majesty.

Article 16 – Diarium Senatorum Imperialis
1. President issues Senatorial Record (Diarium Senatorum Imperialis).
2. Senatorial Record includes information concerning the following:
- Album Senatorium;
- new Noble Houses given the privilege of representation in the Senate;
- new Seators nominated to the Senate by the Noble Houses;
- other issues deemed important by the President.

TITLE III. Procedures
Part 1: The Session of the Senate

Article 17– The Session of the Senate
1. The Session is called by His Imperial Majesty.
2. The Session is divided into the following parts:
- announcement;
- opening;
- debate;
- recess;
- voting;
- closing;
3. During the debate a hearing may take place.

Article 18– Announcement
1. The Session is announced by the President.
2. The announcement includes the following:
- agenda of the Session;
- policies;
- Senatorial Policies;
- Album Senatorium.
3. The agenda of the Session includes the following:
- bills of His Imperial Majesty introduced to the Senate;
- date and hour in which the Session is opened;
- time scheduled for the Session in days;
- date and hour in which the Session is closed;
- guests of the Senate;
- other information deemed important by the President.

Article 19 – Opening
1. The Session is opened by the President.
2. The inauguration includes the following:
- presentation of the agenda;
- presentation of the guests of the Senate.
3. The debate begins after the inauguration.

Article 20 – Debate
1. During the debate the Senators may present their statements, discuss subjects of the Session with other Senators and propose amendments to bills.
2. The debate lasts at least 72 hours.
3. The Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]Senator <name> (<name> Demes):[/b][/size]
4. During the debate, Senators may not:
- carry any weapon with themselves;
- be accompanied by any servants or slaves;
- bring any items without the permission of the President.

Article 21 – Recess
1. During the debate the President may call recess of the Senate.
2. The recess lasts at least 24 hours.
3. During the recess the Session is suspended.

Article 22 – Voting
The debate ends with the beginning of the voting.

Article 23 – Closing
1. The Session is closed by the President.
2. After closure posting in-character is not allowed.

Article 24 – Hearing
1. During hearing the Senators may ask questions to the Guests of the Senate invited to the Session by the President.
2. Questions are asked using the following template:
Code:
[size+4][b]Question:[/b][/size]
3. Guest of the Senate:
- answer questions asked by the Senators;
- may issue statement after arriving in the Senate ;
- may not participate in the debate in any other way.
4. While answering the Guests may use all data available to them considering his position in the imperial administration
5. Guest of the Senate ignore questions asked without using the aforementioned template or those they deems unimportant or badly thought out.

Part 2: Amendment

Article 25 – Amendment
1. Every Senator who is a member of a Faction may propose motion to amend a bill during the debate (amendment).
2. Amendment must include the following information:
- name of the amended bill;
- proposed amendment of the bill;
- statement of reasons for which the motion was proposed.

Article 26 – Proposing amendment
1. Only one amendment may be proposed by the Senator during the Session.
2. To be put under vote by the Senate such motion must by supported by at least five other Senators.

Article 27 – Supporting amendment
1. Every Senator may support an amendment.
2. The Senators may support as many amendments as they wish.
3. The Senators support amendment by using the following template:
Code:
[b][size=4]House <NAME> supports the amendment of Senator <NAME>[b][/size]
3. In the same post the Senator have to state reasons for which he supports the amendment.
4. Additonally the Senators who support an amendment have to use the „✓Agree” button in bottom right corner of the post which contains the amendment.

Part 3: Policy

Article 28 – Policy
1. Each Senator may propose motion to enact available Policy.
2. Articles 25-27 apply accordingly.

Part 4: Senate Policy

Article 28 – Senate Policy
1. Each Session the Senate may present one Senate Policy to His Imperial Majesty for His approval.
2. Senate Policy approved by His Imperial Majesty is enacted.
3. Only Senate Policies passed by the Senate may be presented to His Imperial Majesty.

Article 29 – Proposing Senate Policy
1. Every Faction Speaker may propose a Senate Policy in the name of his Faction.
2. Senate Policy must include the following information:
- name of the proposed Senate Policy;
- two bonuses chosen from the list of ideas in the Custon Nation Designer for EU4;
3. The total cost of two bonuses provided by Senate Policy may not surpass 15 points.

Article 30 – Supporting Senate Policies
1. Every Speaker supports the Senate Policy proposed by him.
2. Every Speaker may also support Senate Policy proposed by other Speaker.
3. To be put to a vote Senate Policy has to be supported by at least two Speakers.

TITLE IV. Voting
Article 31 – Voting
1. Voting begins after announcement of the President.
2. Votes are counted by the President.
3. Results of the voting are announced by the President before closing of the Session.

Article 32 – Votes
1. Every Senator has one vote.
2. Senators vote using ballots.
3. Senators cast vote by posting one post in the thread which includes the ballot (voting post).
4. The voting post may include also a closing argument no longer than five sentences.

Article 33 – Validity of the vote
1. Vote is valid if it meets the formal requirements described in article 32.
2. Vote is also invalid when it doesn't meet the formal requirements described in article 32.
3. Vote is also invalid if Senator:
- voted and later edited the post in which the vote was cast;
- voted more than one time;
- voted while writing out-of-character;
- voted after the voting ended;
- voted elsewhere than in this thread;

Article 34 – Ballot
1. Ballots are provided to the Senators by the President before start of the voting.
2. Ballots include the following information:
- names of senatus consulta, amendments, policies and Senate Policies;
- possible voting options.
3. Ballot includes also statement concerning membership in the Senate Faction.

Article 35 – Quorum and majority
1. The Senate passes bills by a simple majority vote, in the presence of at least half of the number of Senators.
2. Current number of Senators and quorum derived from it are included in the opening of the Session.

TITLE V. Violations and penalties
Article 36 – General
1. Senator who violates the rules may be:
- issued a warning;
- prohibited from voting during the next Session;
- removed from office.
2. Player who violates the rules notoriously may be:
- temporarily suspended from participating in the AAR;
- permanently banned from participating in the AAR.
3. Player who was suspended or banned will be reported to Forum Moderators.

Article 37 – Absence
1. Senator who is doesn't vote during two consecutive Sessions is permanently removed from Album Senatorium together with his noble House.
2. Absence is not counted towards the abovementioned limit if it was notified by private message or e-mail before opening of the Session.

Article 38 – Speakers
1. Speaker is responsible for every violation of the Rules during the Meeting.
2. Speakers are also responsible for actions of members of their Faction in other cases if due to organisational reasons such need arises.

Article 39 – Penalties in-character
1. Penalties are administered by the President.
2. The following are considered capital offense:
- insulting, offending or disrespecting Saint Markos Isapostolos;
- critisicing His Imperial Majesty;
- questioning the Divine Providence which guides His Imperial Majesty in all his actions;
- commiting blasphemy, especially by promoting or encouraging idolatry, faithlessness, sorcery, aposthasy, sodomy, shamelessness, immorality, wickedness et cetera;
- wearing purple clothes;
3. Capital offenses are by mutilation and death by burning.

Article 40 – Tribunal of the Senate
1. The Tribunal of the Senate may be convened by His Imperial Majesty.
2. The Tribunal has judicial authority over Senators.
3. The Tribunal pronounces judgments in the name of His Imperial Majesty.
4. President of the Senate shall be chairman of the Tribunal.
5. The Tribunal shall be composed of a chairman and:
- one member chosen by His Imperial Majesty;
- one member chosen by the Senate.
6. The Tribunal passess judgment in a simple majority vote.

Please feel free to comment on them, there is still time to make some changes if needed. The completely new part includes titles 4-6. The rules still seem to be kinda too long but on the other hand if we're going to role-play a true Senate this is how it has to be. We could obviously abandon the Factions, amendments, motions, Speakers, discussion and all that and instead just use the simple system "post YES or NO in the next 48 hours" but where's the fun in that? ;)

I'm also working on new rules concerning character submissions.

Wow. You really can't let yourself win can you Czo? As soon as you win a minor victory and have things looking up you get involved in four wars and a rebellion. The Diabolus and the other Dark Powers are laughing tonight.

On a side note: can it be assumed that certain Roman government branches (the Inquisition or equivalent in particular) have the right to operate freely in the vassals of the empire?
Just wait for the next chapter...

There is no inquisition in the Imperium but yeah, I see no reason for which imperial officials should not be able to carry out their duties in Aragon or Bavaria.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Article 40 – Tribunal of the Senate
1. The Tribunal of the Senate may be convened by His Imperial Majesty.
2. The Tribunal has judicial authority over Senators.
3. The Tribunal pronounces judgments in the name of His Imperial Majesty.
4. President of the Senate shall be chairman of the Tribunal.
5. The Tribunal shall be composed of a chairman and:
- one member chosen by His Imperial Majesty;
- one member chosen by the Senate.
6. The Tribunal passess judgment in a simple majority vote
Bring the heresy fellow Senators :p

There is no inquisition in the Imperium but yeah, I see no reason for which imperial officials should not be able to carry out their duties in Aragon or Bavaria.

No inquisition? Darn, looks like I need to reread the earlier chapters again. I'm getting excited about the next chapter, especially if it is as grimdark as you are making it out to be. Makes one wonder how the children of the senators who grow up in these times will be when they reach adulthood. Service in a losing war and other desperate situations might cause a lot of PTSD and other mental scars that will go on to influence the imperium at the next senate.

Reactions:
No inquisition? Darn, looks like I need to reread the earlier chapters again
Athanatoi under the Komnenos domestikos (whose name I've forgotten :p ) acted like an Inquisition and they still do although on a lesser scale I'd say.

Service in a losing war and other desperate situations might cause a lot of PTSD and other mental scars that will go on to influence the imperium at the next senate.
As if :p
They'll either be war heroes who decided the fate of the Imperium ( :D ) or they would have stayed away from the war front (I'm tempted to do so with my next who will surely be paranoid given the death of his father). At least I hope the Blues still alive following their questioning will act scarred. ( @Leandor : I hope your character will be less mighty given he lost his principal source of money and was under the interrogation ;) )