• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes
{{I hope it's ok if I reply to this in character even though the Blue meeting is still going on, if not I'll delete it and repost it afterwards.}}
{{No, only Blues may role-play during Blue Demes meeting. Please delete this. }}

{{I thought this might be the case based upon what you told me. I could easily delete my post and repost after the Senate Session begins if you would like.}} @CzokletMuss

Last edited:
Sigh... Guys, the rules are simple: you may post in-character during (1) Senate Session (2) Faction Meeting. Right now there is no Session and no meeting. So why do you keep posting in-character? :confused:

Reactions:
Sigh... Guys, the rules are simple: you may post in-character during (1) Senate Session (2) Faction Meeting. Right now there is no Session and no meeting. So why do you keep posting in-character? :confused:
I am merely using my previous post as a place holder until the senate session starts, at which point I will delete the added portion of my post and repost it in the senate session.

{{Guys i am really sorry i missed the faction meeting, i had to write and defend my bachelor. For some reason the AARgustus has a wierd tendency to place these things right during my exams.}}

There is no need for the brackets, until the session starts tonight you can post normally.

So I guess it is high time to prepare ourselves for the BIGGEST senate session yet to come! Brace yourselves!

Let the shouting and blaming the Blues begin. It will be glorious!

Actually I was thinking about starting the Session earlier today - moving the start date forward after the announcement is unfair, no doubt about this, but I don't think anyone would be actually complaining if we start earlier. After all it would mean only more time for you to play and frankly, it would be more comfortable for me to post stuff now rather than at 11:00 p.m.

What do you think? Shall we start now? It's not the most important Session anyways (no National Focus or Idea Group will be chosen during it), so why the hell not, right?

Oh yes, that would be great. Then I can move my improperly placed IC message.

FIFTH SENATE SESSION - OPENING

q32fjzl.jpg

IIllustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos hereby announces that

THE FIFTH SENATE SESSION HAS BEGUN

AGENDA
The Fifth Senate Session is dedicated to the following matters:

RESOLUTIONS
  1. Expedition – Far East (Alakeshvara map)
  2. Diplomatic mission – Serica (to establish diplomatic relations)
  3. Casus belli – Pisa (Trade War CB)
POLICIES
  • Provincial Taxation System
SENATE POLICIES
  • Issue: „Management of oeconomic affairs of the Imperium and sanation of Imperial Aerarium”

GUESTS OF THE IMPERIAL SENATE
Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos on the order of the Sacred Emperor Basileios III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom hereby announces that
  • His Venerable Excellency patrikios Javier Espinosa, Megas Droungarios of the Imperium Romanum and Megas Doux of the Imperial Navy

has been invited for the Fifth Senate Session as a guest of the Imperial Senate, so that the noble Senators may ask His Excellency questions concerning matters discussed during the Session as per article 20 of the rules of procedure.

His Venerable Excellency shall arrive in the Magnaura after the recess.

ALBUM SENATORIUM

1. senator Alexandros of the noble House RAOUL (played by: Attalus)
  2. senator Decius of the noble House PYLAEUS (played by: ThetrueColt)
  3. senator Diaver of the noble House KASTELOS (played by: Leandor)
  4. senator Titos of the noble House MELISSENOS (played by: McGrey)
  5. senator Bubba of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom)
  6. senator Maximos of the noble House WEDROVANDER (played by: Kingjerkera)
  7. senator Herakleios of the noble House SALAMIS (played by: ParrotGuy)
  8. senator Petrus of the noble House TAURINUS (played by: Ponce_The_Great)
  9. senator Ulysses of the noble House AELIOUS (played by: Coragamy)
  10. senator Quintus of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)
  11. VACANT SEAT of the noble House DE BRETAGNE (played by: fastrike)
  12. senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb)
  13. senator Giacomo of the noble House D'ESTE-RAVENNA (played by: Undead Martyr)
  14. senator Giovanni of the noble House COLOMBO (played by:luciusmalfoy012)
  15. senator Aetius of the noble House SCIPION (played by: varetta)
  16. senator Alexios of the noble House MIKRIANDES (played by: Titianicia)
  17. senator Iskander of the noble House OURANOS (played by: Blogman66)
  18. senator Iskinder of the noble House GODRIC (played by: Malal)
  19. senator Marios of the noble House BATAVOS (played by: LordSolar)
  20. senator Christian of the noble House HVIDE (played by: Drucchi)
  21. senator Marcus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  22. senator Alexios of the noble House SERAPIS (played by: Serpent)
  23. senator Marcelo of the noble House DI CAPPONI (played by: Enlil)
  24. senator Pau of the noble House DE MALLORCA (played by: tunapirate)
  25. VACANT SEAT of the noble House VOJIMIR (played by: TheSlavicWiseMan)
  26. senator Mahdi ibn Tarek of the noble House RASHID (played by: BanishTheSpleen)

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos hereby announces:
  • that the Imperial Senate consists of 24 SENATORS as per Album Senatorium
  • that the required quorum is 12 SENATORS

ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONS
GENERAL
  • You must follow the rules, especially those concerning writing in-character (IC) and out-of-character (OOC), or you risk getting banned from voting, participating in the next Session or in worst case getting permanently banned from the Senate.
  • You must cooperate with other Senators to successfully pass the bill you want to become a law. This includes argumentation, careful counting of the votes, convincing other players and making deals with them, but also manipulation, backstabbing, switching Factions and lying. You are role-playing a politician – behave like one.
POSTING IN-CHARACTER
  • Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
    Code:
    [b]Senator <name> (<Faction/unaffiliated>):[/b]
  • Example:
    Code:
    [b]Senator Exemplus Testus (White Demes):[/b]
  • Senators have to write in-character using italics. Everything not written in italic is considered being said out-of-character with all the consequences.
  • When speaking out-of-character during the Senate Session, Senators have to use double brackets: {{example}}.
VOTING
  • Quorum – 1/2 of the number of Senators (calculated in accordance to Album Senatorium)
  • Simple majority – for senatus consulta, resolutions and policies
  • Ballots (senatus consultum) – you will use „FOR” and „AGAINST”
  • Ballots (policy) – you will use „FOR” and „AGAINST”
  • Ballots (resolution) – you will use „AYE” and „NAY”
AMENDMENTS TO RESOLUTIONS
  • As it was decided by His Imperial Majesty, the Senate Factions are NOT ALLOWED to propose amendments.
POLICIES
  • Each Senator may propose a Policy if available.
  • To put Policy to a vote it must be supported by at least 5 other Senators.
  • Support is given by: 1)declaring support in a post 2)using „agree” button -green check mark – on the post in which Policy is presented.
SENATE POLICIES
  • The Imperial Senate may propose 1 Senate Policy each Session to the Emperor, who may then give his approval to the proposed Senate Policy (enacting it).
  • Every Faction Speaker may propose a policy in the name of his Demes.
  • Every Faction Speaker may also support 1 Senate Policy proposed by other Demes.
  • To be presented to the Emperor, the Senate Policy has to be 1) supported by at least two Speakers 2) passed in vote by the Imperial Senate
  • This means that at least two Factions have to cooperate to pass a Senate Policy
  • The cost of the Senate Policy is determined by the Faction which proposed it.
  • Every Senate Policy consists of two bonuses.
  • Each bonus is chosen from the list of ideas in the Custom Nation Designer for EU4
  • Thus each bonus costs some points.
  • The Senate Policy may not surpass 10 points in total.
GUESTS & HEARING
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate may issue statement after arriving in the Senate.
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate may answer questions asked by Senators; he may not participate in a debate however.
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate while answering a question may use all data available to him considering his position in the imperial administration.
  • Every Senator has a right to ask a question related to the matters discussed during the Session.
  • Questions are asked using the following template:
    Code:
    [size+1][b]Question:[/b][/size]
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate has the right to ignore questions asked without using the aforementioned template or those he deems unimportant or badly thought out.

THE DEBATE BEGINS NOW

President of the Senate Nikephoros Dalassenos:

A man in his early thirites sat silently on ebony armchair placed on the lowest step of the dais surrounding the throne from which high imperial officials used to welcome foreign envoys. The throne itself was not visible, hidden beyond a heavy red curtain. As per tradition, President of the Senate was dressed in white silk robes with paludamentum cloak, both decorated with simple gold embroider. Before him on a table made of heavy luxurious wood lied a single piece of paper, silver inkstand and ivory box for quills, all neatly ordered. With cold gaze and stern expression on his face Dalassenos was observing as Senators were slowly taking their seats, his thin lips pressed together under his beard. His long black hair fell on his broad shoulders in cascades, as it was in fashion among the young nobles from good Houses of the East - and Nikephoros was a son of one the oldest and influential Houses in the Imperium.

Dalassenoi traced their origins back to doux Damian, who ruled Antiocheia as a doux in the end of 10th century. House Dalassenos was among the Powerful, the Dynatoi, providing countless strategoi, domestikoi and other officials to serve the Imperium for almost five centuries. It's no surprise that during that time the Dalassenoi ammased a great fortune. It was said that latifundia covered two-thirds of arable lands in Armenia and almost one-fifth of those in Anatolia, with thousands of Romaioi sowing thier fields and reaping their grain. But even including their quarries in Aegyptus, copper mines in Dalmatia and other possessions the wealth of Dalassenoi paled in comparison to this of the House Komnenos, whose domain covered more than a half of Anatolia and extended across the Imperium from Abyssinia to the newly reclaimed Aragon.

Nikephoros was thinking of all this as he watched the arriving Senators. By securing the position of the first President who was not a member of the House Komnenos for one of their own, Dalassenoi strengthened their position among the Powerful. Young dynatos never dreamed of joining the Imperial Court. His hands weren't soft and pale like those of the eunuchs, his thick fingers more accustomed to spear or sword then a quill pen. He would rather spend his time on hunting for beasts, Mongol raiders and women, always eager to meet someone of his status, then in the Great Palace, surrounded by bureaucrats with dreary voices and indifferent eyes. A small price to pay for such opportunity, he reminded himself. Nikephoros was patient: the Magnaura was but a first step on a long road to the real honors and power. He didn't expect much from the Senators. Small aristoi from minor Houses, merchants and foreigners, upstarts of lowly origin – his falconers had more noble lineage than half of this rabble. Mice, he thought, mice gathered before a hawk. Why should anyone listen to their squeals?

Finally, when every Senator took his place and was given documents prepared by Scrinium Barbarum for this Session, he noded towards the members of the Imperial Senate Guard, who close the heavy doors to the Great Hall and silence filled the room. Nikephoros rised from his armchair and the door to Mangaura opened again as three eunuchs wearing ceremonial robes entered to the Great Haull slowly moving toward the President of the Senate. All Senators rised from their seats. The eunuch in the middle was holding in his hands the Fasces of the Imperial Senate. Almost as tall as the man carrying him, the sceptre consisted of twelve ebony rods bound together by silver strans criss-crossed over the length of the pole. Atop was a single-headed axe on which sits an intricately cast solid golden aquila – the Imperial Two-Headed Eagle. Having approached the President of the Senate, eunuchs bowed deeply and handed over the Fasces to him, then turned to his right and walked away to the aisle where the rest of the eunuchs sat, ready to write a transcript. Nikephors Dalassenos stood in silence in the centre of the Great Hall for a moment. He raised the Fasces and hit the floor with its iron ending, then turned toward the Senators

- The Fifth Senate Session has begun - take your seats, Senators. His Imperial Majesty, Sacred Emperor Basileios III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, decided to seek your counsel. You will... - Nikephoros suddenly pauses. Could it be? Spawn of the horse lords here, in Magnaura? He closed his mouth, still staring at the Mongoloid Senator. So the rumors were true – the magnanimity of the Emperor, long may he live, knows no bounds. First came the small aristoi, then merchants, then Pisans and Aragonians and other foreigners and now here he was, a Mongol bastard comfortably sitting in the Great Hall. Nikephoros knew his kind all too well – primitive brutes, capable only of acts of cruelty and low cunning, with thick necks and ugly faces, good as slaves but nothing more. Barbaroi in the Senate... how could it come to this? Who will be next to usurp his place among the true Romaioi? He shaked his head and continued. - You will provide it to His Imperial Majesty. The debate begins now – the recess is going to start at midday and after its over His Excellency will join us and the debate will continue. May Theotokos give you wisdom.

Nikephoros hands over the Fasces to the eunuch and sits down in his armchair, his eyes fixed on the Mongol.

MATERIALS FOR SENATORS

y6agDaJ.jpg

X0Zg6cp.jpg

3mkDlCs.jpg

lnI7gVH.jpg

ypc7e8i.jpg

aKmNQK5.jpg

Last edited:
Senator Quintus Mojmirid

Quintus sat in his study, finishing writing the letters to the senators in the hope that his words would not fall upon def ears.

"Arellius, could you come in here please?" A young man who looked to be a Syrian origin entered into the room.

"Please send these letters to the respective senators with the utmost haste." Upon receiving the letters Arellius bowed and dashed out of the study. Quintus leans back and stares out the window at the blue sky above. 'I pray they listen to my words.'

Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes
Dear Senator Alexios Serapis,

I write to you in the hope that you will heed council and break words. I have a plan to not only improve our economy, but also to advance the goals of our faith. As we have been made aware, there is a large nation to the far east. I believe this nation to be the legendary Cathay that was talked about in early medieval texts. With your support I would like to send an expedition to Cathay in the hopes of opening up a new market for our goods. I know this may seem more blue than white to you, but I assure you, my goals only seek to support the Imperium. If I were a member of any faction this might be seen as a bid to gain power for one or the other. However, being that I am unaffiliated I wish to throw my support behind all the parties. The expedition will be funded by my family, so it will cost the Imperium next to nothing in terms of funds, and if everything goes according to plan, we should all benefit from the contact with Cathay, and they can be taught what it means to be truly christian. I wish to assure you that I do not seek to gain wealth for myself, nor my family. My only true goal in life is knowledge, and if there is more to learn I will learn it.

I eagerly await your response.
Sincerely,
Senator Quintus Ovidius Mojmirid

Senator Petrus Taurinus of the Red Dems
Dear Senator Petrus Taurinus,

I write to you in the hope that you will heed council and break words. I have a plan to discover the true power of the nation to the east. The map we have discovered only tells us how big they are. However size does not prove strength. With your support I would like to fund an expedition, using one of the Tagmata, to discover what this land truly holds in the name of power. If my guess is correct they should be on par with our own military, however this is uncertain. My goal is to discover of this current unknown, and to find out if they would be friend or foe. While Pisa might be in your sights right now, they are little more than a minor nusance, a thorn in our paw if you will, and should be easily subjugated should we honestly enforce our will. Cathay, on the other hand, is a complete unknown in this regard. If we do come to blows I, as I am sure you would like to as well, wish to know the true strength of this future opponent. As such, I hope to garner yours, and your faction's, support in the senate tomorrow.

I eagerly await your reply.
Sincerely,
Quintus Ovidius Mojmirid

Senator Marcus Arrius of the Blue Dems
Dear Senator Marcus Arrius,

I write to you in the hope that you will heed council and break words. I have a plan to open the markets of the Imperium to a wide variety of goods from the far east. However, I must first congratulate you on your election as the head of the Blue Dems. That being said, my wish is to lead a merchant expedition to the land, which early medieval scholars referred to as Cathay. I would be funding the mission on my own, with my families wealth, so the cost to the Imperium would be minimal. We already know that silk, a fine commodity, and a cloth of unparalleled beauty and elegance, comes from the far east, from Cathay. If such fine things exist in Cathay, I can only imagine what else we could find in terms of goods. If everything goes according to plan, I intend to open up direct trade routes between Cathay and the Imperium. Any and all funds gathered through trade will go straight to the Imperium, but not before helping to fill the purse of the Blue Dem senators. Perhaps we could even discover some unknown technology that would make production of certain goods even easier in the Imperium. I hope to hear a positive response from you in the Senate tomorrow.

I eagerly await your reply.
Sincerely,
Quntus Ovidius Mojmirid

{{ This is not a good way to start this Session but... You are all in the Senate right now, so you can't be in your study at the same time nor can you send letters to the Senators who are several feet from you. But let's ignore it this time - in the future please stick to the rules The rules are the same for everyone and if you break them again you will be banned from voting.}}

Senator Marcus Arrius

My fellow Senators. We have much to discuss, and I believe we should just handle the issues as they come to simplify things. Shall we start with Pisa? During the Faction meeting, the majority of the Blue Demes present felt we should leave Pisa be for now. What do the Red and White Demes have to say on this matter?

{{We're not suppose to know what happened in the other faction meetings, so I figured this was a good way to briefly sum up what the general opinion of the faction was.}}

Senator Iskander Ouranos

If we were to go to war, it would need to be quick and swift. We cannot afford a long war with our economic situation. If the war were to end with our victory, monopoly over Pisan trade in the western Mediterranean would certainly aid our recovery.

I would only support the war if we are sure without a doubt that we can crush the pisans.