• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Yeah this clash amid the Reds has been long in coming. I mean our first leader was more purple than anything else, and the faction's always had a lot more tension between the war hawks and the pragmatists so I'm sort of hoping for a big showdown over the Reds.}}

Reactions:
{{Since this seems like the thing to do I guess i'll have the little info on what's new with the Taurinus}}
**The House of Taurinus, which has always prided itself on upholding old traditions has been increasingly shaken with internal divisions. The previous senator, Aeneas Taurinus was a good businessman for his family and oversaw its expansion into the city of Rome, but he had proven too Blue for the old guard in the family, which was how Petrus was able to arrange his takeover of the family after Aeneas's death.

Petrus saw how the Reds at his first session bowed to the interests of the Blues and the navy, and knows that what happens to the Reds now will have serious effects on his family. He has been able to keep a great deal of influence in the newly reorganized province of Taurica and in Rome, and realizes that the family is and must adapt to chaning circumstances, what is uncertain is how they should do so.
Increasingly the Taurinus family has become divided between the more traditional, military minded members of their family, and those are increasingly devoted to the Imperial administration or even a few radical purples in the style of Aeneas who support the navy and trade.**
Petrus Taurinus

*Petrus Taurinus arrives at the gathering of Reds in a hurry, preoccupied increasingly with family struggles over their family's future and already potential successors to Petrus take their place, he knows that the coming faction meeting and senate session will have wide implications for the Taurinus family and sits with apprehension as he examines his fellow faction members, some faces familiar, others new and wonders what this gathering has in store for his family's future.*
**He Rises to speak to those gathered**

Honored senators, it is good to finally gather with the members of the Red Demes in true council.
I will be blunt, in my family the Red Demes have long held great esteem among our family, I grew up with tales of the renown of the Red Demes in their early days, as my esteemed predecessor Decius was one of their number. Yet in recent times our demes has struggled to hold onto its esteemed role as it has been engaged in internal bickering, and proven unable to properly support the Imperial army and the Imperium's economic good.

Whatever our priorities might be when we are at last called on to help our great Emperor with our humble wisdom, we must be ready to act with a united voice and harness our numbers for the good of the Empire, otherwise the Reds will continue to decay in prestige and be unable to oppose the plots of those in the senate who place their own greed and wealth over the good of the Empire.

Gentlemen for the good of the Imperium we must stand with a leader before this session is out!

Last edited:
{{I guess I should as well then}}
When Ulysses was little he was conditioned from birth to be a military commander. That changed when he was 12 and was blinded in the left eye by a third cousin of his with a burning olive branch. Ulysses trained with a bow almost religiously since he could not fight in close quarters with one eye. He became so skilled with a bow that he could, in one fell swoop, string a bow that most of the strong young suitors of his sister, Penelope, couldn't even bend. After the Tagmata refused his service, he dedicated himself to his studies, becoming quite the learned man and a capable Senator.
Senator Ulysses Aelios:
Dear Senator Taurinus,
Is it safe to assume then, that you will make a bid for leadership of our demes?

Last edited:
Petrus Taurinus
*Responding to Senator Ulysses*

I would not presume to hold vain personal ambitions when the future of our demes and the good of the Imperium is at stake, but if for the sake of our unity and the Empire's good I am called on to lead this noble demes, then I would humbily accept for the good of all.

The Este-Ravenna are an old and proud house, but a dynasty does not get to be old nor proud without a degree of flexibility. Though they remain staunch Reds and supporters of the established order, several younger members of the family- led by the example of Giacomo- are increasing ties with the rising mercantile classes of the Italian City States. As might be expected, this has led to a great increase in generational strife within the family; however, dynastic loyalty, and loyalty to the Angeloi, Rome, and Italy, have so far outweighed the disputes, eased along by the commoners' gold and the success of the naval reforms.Allin all the Este-Ravenna present a proud, giddy front of rising fortunes and splendor, like Italy itself, reaping the benefits of the nascent Pax Angeloi.
The Xenoi's Civil war and the Reconquest of Iberia, North Africa,and Aquitaine, have finally opened the Mediterranean to commerce, and put an end to fears of invasion. The flow of wealth and patriotic fervor has in turn spawned an upsurge of artistic "patronage"in Italy, spearheaded by wealthy commoners and aristocrats, chief among them the Este-Ravenna. Painters, sculptors, artists, philosophers, actors, dancers, musicians- all are appearing in ever greater numbers in the courts of the peninsula, as a renewal, or Renaissance, of classical virtues and aesthetics sweep the province in a fever of dazzling displays of splendor. Though the Este-Ravenna pride themselves in holding the most extravagant and prestigious Renaissance courts, the costs of supporting these wonders is forcing them to make concessions to commoners, and there are some in the family that scoff at their more "effeminate" kin, choosing to emulate the martial aspects of Rome and disdaining the gaudy excesses of the Italian Renaissance. Time will tell how the family navigates these dizzying changes, but for the moment such troubles lurk quiescently beneath the surface, buried beneath the glitter and glory of Giacomo's wealth and political success...
Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna:

Giacomo entered, a richly dressed, portly man, still handsome in his middle age. The Naval Reforms had secured the Imperium’s first victory at sea against the Xenoi. More importantly, they had benefited Venice- site of the Empire’s finest Naval Academies and shipyards- which had made his in-laws, the Dandolo, very wealthy. They, in turn, had made him wealthy; some of the silver he had paid to taxes, some to invest in good lands in Venetia and Thrace, but the lion’s share were spent in the capital, in an endless string of parties, political or otherwise. His cousins on the mainland were fools. The merchants were a golden teat, a font of wine, women, wealth- and information. The Empire’s financial woes were an endless source of consternation for the money-grubbers, and several cities had responded by pooling their resources, in banks. Yet even this was not enough- in Rome they gilded coppers to save gold, and in Genoa the merchants had started using banknotes instead of coins, trusting in Italian paper over Greek gold. The shiftless Greeks, in their profligacy, were bleeding Rome white, and something had to be done. There was talk of expanding the local bankers’ guilds to province-level banks, merging the various city branches under one management, and naturally they all wanted theirs to be the leaders. His in-laws were “suggesting” the Venetian bankers take over for Italy; Swiss exiles in Milan wanted their group in charge (preposterous! As if Germans- least of all those Alpine savages- could manage finances better than Italians, when they could not even manage an empire!), a clever Tuscan in his entourage had suggested his native Florence; Giacomo did not particularly care where the bank was, so long as his hands were on the purse strings. Money was power, to put it bluntly, and he was a man of great appetites and greater ambition. The Queen of Cities had given him his first taste of that sweet ambrosia and he found it very agreeable.

As he entered he found,unsurprisingly, Senator Wendromander deep in argument, ranting about the "treachery" of Scipion and his fellow moderates. “Noble senators, at our last session our Emperor, long may he reign, did sagaciously suggest to us naval reforms, to which our August Body did acquiesce. The victory at Finisterre Bay did confirm the Angeloi’s wisdom, and the credit for this success lays with them, and with the sailors that did fight and die for Rome. Yet the words of the White Demes have also rung true- the finances of the Empire are in dire condition, and in desperate need of reform. We, as a faction, stand at a crossroads. Though we have numerical superiority, the Senate, as a whole, cannot function without compromise. Many unaffiliated senators did express agreement with economic reforms, and if we were to ally with them, and our colleagues in the White Demes, we could demonstrate our reasonableness and sagacity, and then, having won support, press for military reforms in the future with the Senate’s support. In this, and this alone, does he offer wisdom, yet his hubris does threaten to leave us without a leader.

A disagreement on politics is one thing- my own family has had its share of disputes- yet we have also learned that, when looking outwards, we must stand united. Fully half of the Red Demes, myself included, voted to support the Emperor's proposed reforms. Would you, Senator Wendromander, then choose to veto the heir of Saint Markos himself, and name him a Blue Deme,for proposing the bill in the first place?
Until and unless you end this madness, I, Giacomo Este-Ravenna, do
Veto your candidacy. Such pig headedness is unbecoming of a faction leader.

I do also declare my support for Senator Scipion's candidacy.

Last edited:
Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
I'm afraid that these calls for peace fall on deaf ears for I am still wroth by the base treachery of my fellow "Reds" I will not breathe more personal insults but quite frankly the betrayal and weakening of our hand came from the half of the faction that decided that it would be a lark to simply fold to the demands of the blues and their pet naval commander. Honestly that entire session was so easily taken over by the bluish tint it is nearly unforgivable therefore I say no matter what else may come we must force the blues in whatever position that they may have to bow to our wishes in this session. Either through power or through persuasion it matters not. As for allegations of blindly following the White demes, I admit that I have long been a support for some of their activities. However, it is not for the love of their ideals that I suggest to align with them, it is their power over gold and the wages of our soldiers that I seek their help. For without gold we are undone for despite in a more perfect world that man would serve God, Emperor, and fellow man without the need of lucre we live in this world where men's hearts are foolish and most unwise. Therefore an alliance with them is far more tolerable due to the fact that they hold the purse strings and they are relatively weaker than the monstrous legion of blue demes senators. Yes, I concur they are less than they were, but they are still enough to be a threat.

As for the emperor, long may he reign in peace and prosperity, he called a senate meeting to learn the will of the senate. This means he sought our advise and wished to know our thoughts on the subject that he thought valuable it doesn't mean that he thought that we ought to be yes men and vote to his beck and call. Indeed Markos the Third, may he find heaven to be a paradise forever and ever, made clear that our institution should be used in order to advise and be a help meet for the emperor. As for your veto. I
welcome it. Go right ahead. My ambition this day needs not to be fed for I have no desire for that power. For power has thusly proven to be a fickle friend indeed. Instead I wish to make clear that your matter factly treachery harmed our cause greatly and I see no point in allowing you or your kind to take over and make our dreams dust. Lastly, I suggest that we at least agree that no matter the temptation, we must take a hard line against any unwise use of the treasury for now the loans that I had feared in the past have now made a crisis in our good imperium that could doom us all. So long as you have good words speak and know that I watch so that I may guard our faction from yet another betrayal. Also know that I will support Taurinus should he decide to become faction leader for he went above and beyond than what he could of done. Also I suggest that you ought to be more careful with your speech for your butchering of the last name could be seen as an insult not only to myself but yourself.

*Maximos ceases speaking and hands a eunuch a letter*

I'm afraid to ask this but my house has a problem. One of the family's daughter, a second cousin once removed, has become a problem. We need a safe harbor away from Italia and from the western mare nostrum for that matter that can take the child in and keep her away from any politics. She tried to sneak in with a dyanstoi family and create a scandal to have them try to ruin us. They're not too powerful but thankfully they have other things to worry about than her now. If the price of keeping her away is that of marriage the house would be indebted to you. Whatever you think of this and decide to help
do not for the good love of the church let her near powerful people. She is beautiful, smart, and has the tendency to dominate weak to flesh men. If you don't have a good situation for her I will understand for we have a another option available. Maximos Wedrovander.

{{No I don't know why it decided to work this way with the spoiler and I can't seem to fix it but it does have the benefit of more drama to it. Also I think columbo was pure blue through and through but had his eye on power and was able to be flexible.}}

Last edited:
{{@Undead Martyr - while I appreciate your dedication please remember that you as participants of this AAR are playing your characters and Houses, not I have nothing against some minor but juicy details entwined in your characters' backstories or history of your Houses but within reasonable limits. This piece:
The Naval Reforms had secured the Imperium’s first victory at sea against the Xenoi. More importantly, they had benefited Venice- site of the Empire’s finest Naval Academies and shipyards- which had made his in-laws, the Dandolo, very wealthy. They, in turn, had made him wealthy; some of the silver he had paid to taxes, some to invest in good lands in Venetia and Thrace, but the lion’s share were spent in the capital, in an endless string of parties, political or otherwise. His cousins on the mainland were fools. The merchants were a golden teat, a font of wine, women, wealth- and information. The Empire’s financial woes were an endless source of consternation for the money-grubbers, and several cities had responded by pooling their resources, in banks. Yet even this was not enough- in Rome they gilded coppers to save gold, and in Genoa the merchants had started using banknotes instead of coins, trusting in Italian paper over Greek gold. The shiftless Greeks, in their profligacy, were bleeding Rome white, and something had to be done.

Is not really about your character or House but about your interpretation of what's going on in Italia. I'm not saying that you shouldn't write something like this but please if you want to describe some important changes from a world-buidling perspective - like introduction of banknotes - I would appreciate if you would ask me first in the future :) }}

Senator Aetius Scipion:

I am glad to see you again, my dear friend Giacomo. I am also happy to know of your prosperity.

As you have pointed, the reforms the Senate passed the last time have assured a victory that seems impossible not too many years ago and we must assure that the blindness of some of our members does not avoid us to take our deserve part of victory.

But at the same time, I am worried that our demes fall apart because of divisions and personal vendettas. The election of our next leader must not serve to adjust old rivalries, it must be the beginning of our recovery of the fair place of our demes advising the Emperor over the blues and the lunatics, assuring the good state of the Imperium over everything.

For this reason, dear red senators and especially you, Senator Wedrovander, I swear, as I promised in my initial speech, that if it is the will of our demes and I am elected as our future leader, I will do everything in my hand to assure the improvement of our economical situation, even if that means to delay the reforms of the Army that would speed up the recovery of Europe for the faith.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In other order of things, my older son is still single (and rich). He is very busy improving the family treasure but I think he would be interested on meeting some of your daughters now that we are all in Constantinople. The Bosphorus is where I met my wife, a perfect place to fall in love for younger people than us. hehehehe

"For all of your faults, Wedrovander, I have not accused you of selling out to the Whites. Unlike you, I do not view politicking with other factions to be utterly reprehensible. Our faction did once hold a large majority, under the first Colombo. *he muttered curses about the Crazy Genoese fools under his breath* yet it ultimately collapsed. Power is fleeting and our faction cannot stand alone.
As to the issue of your name, it is hardly of concern to me what an up-jumped Gaul barbarian calls himself. You dare accuse me-
me, a true-blooded Roman- of conspiring against our faction?! Retract your slanderous filth at once lest I take offense!"

To the Senator Taurinius, he writes:

Do not be swayed by the frothing lunatic. Like an ass he is, though industrious, also stubborn and stupid, and wont to bite the hand that feeds it. I have not put forward my name as candidate for leader- though I do think myselfqualified- because I view unity to be more important than personal ambition. Senator Scipion has proven capable and insightful, and I do think he would be the best candidate, but if the stubborn Gaul remains intractable I will consider switching to support yourcandidate and advise him to do the same. For good or ill we must stand together, and you have, like the noble Cincinnattus, shown that rare virtue, lacking ambition for your own sake, but for Rome's.

{{@Undead Martyr - while I appreciate your dedication please remember that you as participants of this AAR are playing your characters and Houses, not I have nothing against some minor but juicy details entwined in your characters' backstories or history of your Houses but within reasonable limits. This piece:

Is not really about your character or House but about your interpretation of what's going on in Italia. I'm not saying that you shouldn't write something like this but please if you want to describe some important changes from a world-buidling perspective - like introduction of banknotes - I would appreciate if you would ask me first in the future :) }}
{{Ok, thanks. Historically this sort of thing started happening around this time in Renaissance Italy and the Netherlands, though TTL obviously things are substantially different I imagined the instability would see some local merchants trying their hand at it... it's not a universal or widespread thing, more to illustrate that *interesting things* are happening, some might work some might not}}

((Czoklet, a few history related questions, thinking in the development of my future characters:

1st. I am allowed to take new lands in Castille for the family? In such case, could I divide the family in two branches, one in old Milan lands (White posibilities) and other in Spain (blues and reds)? I have no plans to play more than one at the same time, of course, no RP confusion.

2nd. Can I assume that Spain will be repopulated by Spanish or Roman-Spanish?

3rd. Exactly, what kind of OTL environment can we expect to have at the moment? Renaissance, late middle ages, exploration ages... I mean darker version of which one ))

I'm afraid that these calls for peace fall on deaf ears for I am still wroth by the base treachery of my fellow "Reds" I will not breathe more personal insults but quite frankly the betrayal and weakening of our hand came from the half of the faction that decided that it would be a lark to simply fold to the demands of the blues and their pet naval commander. Honestly that entire session was so easily taken over by the bluish tint it is nearly unforgivable therefore I say no matter what else may come we must force the blues in whatever position that they may have to bow to our wishes in this session. Either through power or through persuasion it matters not. As for allegations of blindly following the White demes, I admit that I have long been a support for some of their activities. However, it is not for the love of their ideals that I suggest to align with them, it is their power over gold and the wages of our soldiers that I seek their help. For without gold we are undone for despite in a more perfect world that man would serve God, Emperor, and fellow man without the need of lucre we live in this world where men's hearts are foolish and most unwise. Therefore an alliance with them is far more tolerable due to the fact that they hold the purse strings and they are relatively weaker than the monstrous legion of blue demes senators. Yes, I concur they are less than they were, but they are still enough to be a threat.

As for the emperor, long may he reign in peace and prosperity, he called a senate meeting to learn the will of the senate. This means he sought our advise and wished to know our thoughts on the subject that he thought valuable it doesn't mean that he thought that we ought to be yes men and vote to his beck and call. Indeed Markos the Third, may he find heaven to be a paradise forever and ever, made clear that our institution should be used in order to advise and be a help meet for the emperor. As for your veto. I
welcome it. Go right ahead. My ambition this day needs not to be fed for I have no desire for that power. For power has thusly proven to be a fickle friend indeed. Instead I wish to make clear that your matter factly treachery harmed our cause greatly and I see no point in allowing you or your kind to take over and make our dreams dust. Lastly, I suggest that we at least agree that no matter the temptation, we must take a hard line against any unwise use of the treasury for now the loans that I had feared in the past have now made a crisis in our good imperium that could doom us all. So long as you have good words speak and know that I watch so that I may guard our faction from yet another betrayal. Also know that I will support Taurinus should he decide to become faction leader for he went above and beyond than what he could of done. Also I suggest that you ought to be more careful with your speech for your butchering of the last name could be seen as an insult not only to myself but yourself.

*Maximos ceases speaking and hands a eunuch a letter*

I'm afraid to ask this but my house has a problem. One of the family's daughter, a second cousin once removed, has become a problem. We need a safe harbor away from Italia and from the western mare nostrum for that matter that can take the child in and keep her away from any politics. She tried to sneak in with a dyanstoi family and create a scandal to have them try to ruin us. They're not too powerful but thankfully they have other things to worry about than her now. If the price of keeping her away is that of marriage the house would be indebted to you. Whatever you think of this and decide to help, do not for the good love of the church let her near powerful people. She is beautiful, smart, and has the tendency to dominate weak to flesh men. If you don't have a good situation for her I will understand for we have a another option available. Maximos Wedrovander. \

{{No I don't know why it decided to work this way with the spoiler and I can't seem to fix it but it does have the benefit of more drama to it. Also I think columbo was pure blue through and through but had his eye on power and was able to be flexible.}}
Simply delete that extra spoiler [] thing in your sentence to get rid of the two spoilers.

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
*Ulysses stares at Senator Este-Ravenna with his burned scared eye, opening his eyelid for the first time, revealing the grisly sight*
*Speaking slowly*
Senator Este-Ravenna. Please do try to keep the debate without intentional insults to family. I do find such individuals who indulge in such bickering deplorable. I am speaking to you as a fellow Italian and Roman when I say, show Senator Wedrovander some respect, his people after all toppled our empire. Ma- Saint Markos obviously willed that they would win their invasions.

On another topic, if the loans can't be repayed by conventional means, we should simply attack Pisa and take money from them and have them pay reparations to us. Furthermore, I support Senator Taurinus as our demes leader.

{{My character is too young to be leader. Thanks @DKM }}

Last edited:
@coragamy , you accidentally messed up on your title and you forgot to use italics.

Senator Aetius Scipion:

Senator Taurinus is a honorable member of this chamber and, even if he voted against maritime reforms on last session, I consider him a capable and reliable man so I am will to accept him as our leader if that is the will of the demes and for the unity of us, the guardians of the Empire essences (TM).

But, at the same time, it is intolerable the attitude of Senator Wedrovander and it would be unforgivable to allow him to get away with his wish in this way.

So I propose this: I will retry my candidature for the leadership of the demes and support Senator Taurinus if me and the other Senators who supported maritime reforms on last session receive public and satisfactory excuses from Senator Wedrovander And he recognize that these reforms were a success for the Empire.

BUT, if he does not show humility for doing this, I will veto any Senator who did not support maritime reforms as reprisal to Wedrovander´s haughtiness.

He will be the only responsible for our lack of leadership in the next session

((The war is on @KingJerkera!!! :mad::mad::mad: :D))

{{

Ma- Saint Markos obviously willed that they would win their invasions.

TO ADMIT DEFEAT IS TO BLASPHEME AGAINST THE EMPEROR, Saint Markos would NEVER harm Romaioi!

That being said, we will see if your mates will cover that or if they will call the athanatoi (there are just reds and slaves around...)

}}

That is a bold claim that I am to be held responsible for a scalawag back stab. Also how hard is it for your teachers to have taught you to spell? I mean do I need to go into detail? I guess I do and I have a nice little memory enhancing phrase to go with it. First we start with we, in which we need to not to forget the amount of wasted effort that the resources of the Imperium was wasted on the blue's proposal. Then we move on to dro which is linked to Dromons that were sunk even though we outnumbered the Xenoi at the bay. Moving on to van which is the front of an army to we ought to be supporting instead of nearly losing the control of the Imperium to the blues. Lastly we have der which is the sound of your brain after your entire flop with the vote last time in the senate. That aside to ask me to apologize in the face of a threat like thusly is paramount to a child throwing a tantrum because he is getting a honeycomb instead of a sugar cookie. I will not apologize at such an outrage unless you admit that the reforms, in hindsight, were less than appropriately timed and the resources used would have been better used in hindsight. Then I will consider and more than likely not groan on about it and yes admit the usefulness that it had.

If you can put that aside I think that focusing on getting the emperor to consider cut backs enough to allow use some breathing space will do wonders for the Imperium.
{{The heat continues to burn. Also sure it's on, :rolleyes: :p :D. }}

Senator Aetius Scipion:

Of course you will have my excuses. I excuse for waste imperial resources recovering the old lands of Aragon together with Hispania and the lands you claim as yours in Gallia. I also excuse for the dromons sunk in the AMAZING DEFEAT of the demons that has converted the Mediterranean again in the Mare Nostrum. I excuse for betraying the Army assuring that it can move to fight the Xenois wherever they are required instead of waiting with no use in North Africa. I excuse myself to assure the safety in our lands that has allowed this new "Renaissance" to be born. And of course I excuse myself to listen other groups like the Blues instead of defending the independence of our demes following the yells of white lunatics as you seem to do as well because who knows what dark reasons.

Since this moment, I announce my veto to all candidates who did not support Maritime reforms last time until me and my colleagues receive formal excuses from white Senator Wedrovander.

((And the bets grow up!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:))

Does the foolish Senator think battles are won without taking any losses? If Senator Wedrovander were as diligent with his sums as spelling his own name, he might have noticed that the most recent battle had far fewer losses for the Empire- it was a resounding victory, as opposed to utter annihilation. The naval reforms were successful, indisputably so. You are either breathtakingly stupid or willfully blind to think that the recent naval victory equivalent to the past defeats, though I grow to suspect that a Wedrovander skull is thick enough to withstand even Xenoi cannon.