• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Always Warsaw time.

We're set to start in 2h30m but unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea I say we start at 9:00PM, that is in 30m. Anyone disagrees?

I agree.

Btw, I will go for Red leadership this time.

Czoklet, it could be useful for the meeting to have some clues on the nature of the voting we will have, at least in general lines (ideas, expansion,...), so we can discuss them for choosing a leader and not yet arguing without any sense (as we will do anyway)

EDIT: I will let here the description of my current character so everybody can see it (if Czoklet agrees)

Representative in the Imperial Senate

Name: Aetius Scipion
Date of birth: 1484 AD
Culture/nationality: Castillian - Roman
Affiliation: Red demesReceived titles and honors: Kentarchos of engineer centuria in the Imperial Army
Biography: Aetius wanted to enlist in the Navy to serve the Imperium against all its enemies instead of in the Army as the family tradition ordered. After the continuous failure of the Navy to protect the Empire interests, and after the death of his uncle Publius in the Mediterranean disaster, he decided to follow his father advice and enlisted in the Army. He fought bravely against the Germans and at the beggining of the war against the Horde.After seeing by himself the hardness that the Roman Army had during the winter in the Steppes, Aetius enter in the Pandidakterion to learn engineering and assure that the logistic and strongholds would be the required the next time that Roman Army moves against the horde. During this time in Konstantinoupolis, Aetius made contacts that would be of importance for the family once the Senate reunites again.

Short time after his graduation, while he was seeing how to use his new knowledges in the family province of Milano, his father asked him to substitue him as the new Scipion´s representative in the Senate.Although a follow supporter of the Imperial Army, as all his family before him, the diverse experiences of Aetius in the steppes and in the Pandidakterion have moved the thinking of Aetius away from his father´s rigid positions on politic and made him more will to listen to other´s arguments than many members of the Red demes. Aetius is convinced that something needs to be changed in the Imperium if Hispania is going to be recovered from heathens any day in the future, and the Army must be involved in those changes to assure that they are the correct.

Im okay with 9 and actually prefer it.

Yes, I agree. I will post all of them before the Senate Session but if you want to post them yourself you may do this (applies only for members of the Red Demes). Just remember to use italics and brackets during the Meeting. As for the Senate Session - it depends on how much I will mod. I didn't have time to sit down and check what can I use from "Common Sense" so it's hard to tell.

However, I think that during the Session some of these issues may be discussed:

1. Economy (debt, inflation)
  2. Expansion (where should the Imperium turn its attention now when we have truce with Xenoi)
  3. Diplomacy (new allies?)
  4. Exploration (Hindustan, Far East, perhaps Africa?)

FACTION MEETING - ANNOUNCEMENT

bXfsLO5.jpg

Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos hereby annouces

THE THIRD MEETING OF THE RED DEMES HAS BEGUN

REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING
  • Begin every post written in-character using the following template:
    Code:
    [b][size=4]Senator <name>:[/b][/size]
  • While writing in-character, you have to use italics.
  • While writing out-of-character during the Senate Session or Faction Meeting, you have to use brackets.
  • You may type „@<ForumNickname>” in your post to tag forum users (they get a notification they were mentioned in your post)

EXCERPT FROM THE RULES
Article 11-4 – Faction Meeting
1. Faction Meeting is a meeting of members of a Senate Faction hold in the Sacred Palace during which noble Senators gather to discuss (in-character) state of affairs of the Imperium Romanum.
2. Faction Meeting is called, opened and closed by the President of the Senate at the request of a Faction Leader. The request has to be approved by the President of the Senate.
3. Faction Leader notifies members of the Faction he leads about the Faction Meeting after his request is approved.
4. Faction Leader ensures order and decorum during Faction Meeting and is responsible for every violation of the Rules of Procedure which occurs during the Faction Meeting.
5. Faction Meeting lasts for 48 hours and may only be called after at least 24 hours has passed since the previous Faction Meeting. Each Faction can request one Faction Meeting to be hold between every two chapters.
6. Faction Meeting takes place in:
- Atrium of Church of the Virgin of the Pharos (White Demes)
- Hall of Augusteus in Palace of Daphne (Red Demes)
- Neptune's Balcony in Boukelon Palace (Blue Demes)
7. During Faction Meeting members of the Imperial Senate Guard ensure safety of the noble Senators.
8. During Faction Meeting noble Senators may read or write letters to NPCs (non-playable characters) from their House.

(...)

Article 19 – Debate
1. During the debate, Senators may:
- present their statements in regard to the subjects of the Senate Session;
- debate with other Senators;
- ask questions to the guests invited for the hearing, if they are any.
2. Senators have to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
- [ b ][ size=+1 ]Senator <name>:[ /b ][ /size ]
with spaces between the brackets and code removed.
3. During the debate, Senators may not:
- carry any weapon with themselves;
- be accompanied by any servants or slaves;
- bring any items without the permission of the President of the Senate.
4. Non-Senators (regular readers) may post normally during the debate.

May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Michael Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate
1_constantinople_vue_aerienne_2_copie_4.jpg
1st January 1540
Daphne, Sacred Palace, Konstantinoupolis

The Palace of Daphne, called so because of an ancient statue of the nymph Daphne brought from Rome by emperor Konstantinos I the Great himself, have fallen into ruin after centuries of negliegance. The complex includes bedchamber of Daphne, hall of Octagon, chapels of Theotokos and Holy Trinity, as well as one of the oldest parts of the Sacred Palace – the Hall of Augusteus. The Hall was built over a thousand years ago and for centuries being used for receptions of foreign ambassadors and important ceremonial events. Most importantly, it was a place in which - until the reign of emperor Nikephoros II Phokas – every coronation of every basilissa took place, a function the Hall of Augusteuslost in 10th century.

But today the Hall looks different. In the center of the ancient room eight pillowed couches surrounding huge table are placed, surrounded by four statues depicting Mars, Hercules, Apollo and Konstantinos the Great standing on a marble pedestals. Against the walls covered in frescos depicting empressess of old stand several smaller tables, bending under the weight of exquisite dishes on a silver tableware.

The Hall is decorated with red draperies and golden torch stands, illuminating the whole room with warm reddish light. Although Daphne complex is far away from Mese, the main street of Konstantinoupolis, distant and muted shouts of athletes and charioteers training on the Hippodrome can be heard, although barely. As the first member of the Red Demes to arrive enters the Hall, he's greeted by an eunuch accompanied by eight members of the Imperial Senate Guard, all of them armed.

EUNUCH: Salve, honorable Senator! The Hall of Augusteus has been prepared for your arrival. The slaves are at your disposal and they will make sure that you have enough food and bevarages during the meeting. The guardsmen shall stay in the corridor for the safety of all noble Senators who are gathering here. I wish you a fruitful discussion.

*bows deeply* Saint Markos bless you.
*eunuch turns around and leaves*

During this meeting the Red Demes has to elect Faction Leader:
  • Election is unanimous (no voting).
  • Every member of the Faction has a right of veto.
  • To elect a Faction Leader a consensus has to be reached by the Faction.
  • To reach a consensus not a single veto has to be used against the candidate.
  • Every Senator at least 35 years old is elligible to run for position of the Faction Leader.
  • If all candidates were vetoed, the Faction carries on without a Faction Leader.

Senator Aetius Scipion:

Aetius seems exultant today. It seems that everything is smiling the Empire and especially he and his family. His personal bet in the last senate session for supporting the Blues in their naval reform has paid off with a tremendous victory over the Xenoi and he feels that it will reinforce his candidature for leading the Red demes. His support for exploration is bringing knowledge for the Pandidakterion and money for the Aeriarium. He expect this flexibility to pay dividends to the red demes and give them support on their very necesary reforms of the Army. And the most important, the Imperial Army has finally started the reconquest of the old province of Hispania, ancestral homeland of the Scipion family and everything suggest that not later than in the next century all Hispania will be free and Roman again. His information seems to suggest a favorable position of the Imperial Throne to give back the old Scipion´s lands back to the family. The future has never looked better for the Scipions.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aetius is one of the first Red senators to arrive to the meeting. This is good for his interest of leading the demes. It will allow him to salute personally and privately all the other senator, defend his candidature and introduce his two sons to them.

Arcadius, his older son, is an entrepreneur. He is, for first time in the family, more interested in business than in the Army. For tradition, he served in the Navy a few years but as soon as he finished his term and obtained his father´s allowance, he take part of his inheritance and embarked in some trades. At first, Aetius did not approve this behavior, but after his success in business and the increase of the patrimony of the family to amazing limits, Aetius has to step back and recognize his son´s skills with paternal proud. Now, after the recent victories in Hispania, Arcadius has decided to move to Cantabria in the province of Hispania Tarraconense and establish there what he expect would be an important trade company in the future, once the Empire recover even more lands in Hispania and Gallia.

His younger son, Honorius, is now Kaptain of the Kataphractoi in a regiment serving in the Hispania Betica province. He is the right eye of his father and will for sure continue the old traditions of the family. He is still young but his father is sure that he will serve with honor in the next conflict against the Xenoi. Aetius also expect him to be given the old Scipion´s lands in Hispania once the Emperor answer Aetius solicitude.

Both sons are single yet, what is not worrying his father till now because he expects some marriage alliance after the next meeting and session in the Senate with some important family that increase the political influence of the family.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honorable red Senators, God bless you all in this wonderful day.

We can finally, after as much time, say that the West demons have been defeated. It just now a question of time before all the Imperial lands come back under Holy Basileios rule and its peoples are liberated. The prospective of recover my family old lands make me happier than I can express.

We can, and must, say this very loud: this has been possible thanks to our demes efforts for supporting the Imperial Army and our flexibility to support the Navy even when it gave us no more than defeats. And never let the other demes forget this.

This time I am not sure what the Emperor will ask us for advice but there are two important subjects for the Empire that we should discuss anyway.

First is expansion. It is my opinion that Empire´s first priority must be the recovering of the old lands of Europe under direct Emperor´s rule. This means that we must combat the Xenoi wherever they are and whenever we can. In the East, we should allow the Horde to stay as wall against the unknown dangers of the Far East while we deal with our enemies in the West and to give another enemy to the awful Timurids. We must keep combating them, but demanding slaves and money in our peace deals instead of more lands hard to defend. We may should push out the Timurids beyond our borders, but a similar politic to the one with the Horde and for the same reasons should be applied. Int the South, Mali is unknown for us and we are for them. Let this keep being until we know more of them and their strength.

The second one is economy. Recent conquest and the state of the Aeriarium seems to suggest a policy of stabilization in the next years and preparation for the conflicts to come. I am of the opinion that this time we should use our political capital for supporting the Army on its reforms and let the economy recover enough to support it.

Finally, dear friends, I want to submit my candidature for the Red demes leadership. I have shown my ability to negotiate with other demes and obtain political support as well as the righteous of my positions in the last Senate´s sessions. I will be your voice in the Senate if you wish it and believe me, you won´t mourn it.

Thank Senators.

Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
Since the late 1400's the house of Wedrovander had been in decline as political fortunes of the empire had sifted the proud house out of ancestral lands and into abandoned area's on the tip of Italia. The last decade reversed the declining fortunes after the massive revolts in the south the great estates in the south became wary of the employment of slaves in general and sought to diversify their labor forces. The house began a profitable enterprise of taking criminals of debts and non-violent crimes to be employed as harvest labor so that the estate owners didn't have to rely on slaves. This was admittedly a little more pricey but considering the dearth of slave labor, and literal lack of slaves, this enabled some estates to pull ahead and for the house gain more powerful allies and unfortunately greater enemies as well. Unfortunately it hasn't been a widespread practice due to political and economic forces keeping the practice out of more stable regions. Despite this when the conquest of Aquitaine had finished the house had developed enough power to be a preeminent power moving into the region and as such much of the business there either is directly linked to the house or relies on supporting the business of the house. The house also has expanded it's winery operations and has been offering the clergy lower prices for wine than it's competitors and other customers giving the house more power in dealing with the church. On the front of the military the house has been "guaranteeing" retiring soldiers land in a system that is outside the empires own and whispers agree that it is superior than the prone to failure system that the empire has. So the house has the ears of many a retired solider and the current ones on it's side. One thing is for certain the house is on the rise and it seems to become a political power in it's own right.

*The senator walks in and nods to the eunuch and proceeds to the tables of food. Last time the man was simply in a uniform of the Cataphract captain, now he wears a toga of fine white linen and a sash of silk dyed red of course. After hearing the senator he drains a goblet of wine and begins to speak himself*

These are bold claims from such a man who has rightly heard the entirety of the same information as I have had. For did not the entirety of our naval capacity simply jump upon a smallest fraction of theirs and still lost 2 of our "proud" ships? Did not the entirety of their nation end up being ripped apart because of our armies continued victories allow this mugging on the high seas to be even remotely possible and still lose ships? Oh ho yes. That is how all this went down and your glib words cannot hide the complete and utter pathetic attempts of this drain of resources of the empire to be consider a "great" victory of which you have wish for. No you scalawags can fool others and yourselves but not ME. As for the attempt to claim some form of respect or some form of greatness for kowtowing to the blues wantonness I will stop you there. I, Senator Maximos Wedrovander, will VETO all the "reds" that voted for the maritime ideas propositions, in consideration of gaining the faction leader seat. I would suggest that you lot ought to begin to consider changing your high and mighty tones for there is much to be blamed upon yourselves.

Also I am very concerned by the amount of loans that the empire has we need to come up with a excellent plan that we can pitch to the Whites to recover financial sanity in the Imperium. Unfortunately it will mean cut backs on many fronts however, I am confident that with proper planing, we can get a good enough plan rolling to convince our less sane brothers to agree with.

{{ Just to say I'm not trying to be mean but that is what the character would do and if you have any questions of the house talk in game and I'll answer in game as well}}

Last edited:
{{This is a great start! :D }}

Reactions:
Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Ulysses is amazed by the splendor and grandeur of the Palace of Daphne. The bustle of servants and slaves bringing him food and drink is something he is only mildly acquainted with, as his family has risen to power quite recently and is still establishing itself.

Ulysses walks in trying to observe all of the hall with his right eye, being blind in the left. He sees Senator Scipion and walks over.

Hello, Honorable Senator Scipion!

I am happy to hear of your successes and the success of your sons! I hear you are looking for a match for them?

On the topic of expansion, I believe that we should prioritize sending a fleet to see if Mali borders the sea south of Hispania. They could have valualbe and exotic goods, look at what we have gotten just from Abbysinia! We should also attack the greedy Pisans, as their land is wealthy.

Your economic ideas are sound but I believe that the economy should recover before the army reforms. We wouldn't want the Imperium to have to default, would we?

{{Uuhh... what a start. This "veto" thing will ruin a lot of candidatures. @Attalus, let's keep it calmly in our turn, softly... or I'll veto you.}}

Edit: So it seems that the reds have a identity crisis...

Good, good... let the indecision flow through you...

Last edited:
Senator Aetius Scipion:

Dear Senator Wedrovander, do not you think it is a bit early for drink wine? Or to present a veto?

I must admit that we have had differences in the past session. We are a house divided ((;))). You and your supporters seems to be a strong supporter of the (lunatics) white demes and their preoccupation about our treasury, while me and other (smarter) senators seems to realize of the importance of trade and navy to solve such problems and push back the Xenoi.

Of course it has been the Army who has allowed our successes, not the Navy, but their contribution have also helped this time. The Army is, and will ever be, the most important institution of the Empire after the Sacred Angeloi family!!!

We have supported these (successful) policies because they have allowed us to recover our lands and the leadership in our eternal war against the demons. Now, thanks to these successes we can start thinking on recovery and economy. Listen other people, new blood as Senator Aelious. You will recognize (if alcohol allows you) that our political and military state is better than ever. At the same time, I admit that our Treasury needs urgent attention.

So I beg you to retry your veto by now and I will listen to your proposals on economic reforms. I promise to pay a very careful attention to your (stupid) words. We must join again in the Senate if we expect to be relevant in next sessions!!!!

((It seems we are still divided between pro-blues and pro-white senator. What a success of demes!!! :D:D:D))

{{What a wonderful beginning! I am delighted to see that Senator Wedrovander is still the man he used to be! Dropping the Veto-Bomb is a display of power for sure - that alone made the Blues enter a state of cold war without even having IC time.}}

{{ I forgot to mention but you can revoke your veto at any time.}}

Last edited:
Reactions:
{{This veto aspect will prove fun... of course, the Blues were about to elect my character anyway, so we shouldn't have any issues. :D CzokletMuss, I know we must refrain from metagaming while in character, but... how close is the giant empire in the Far East? It seems to me the Far East will come to us soon, so we might be better off exploring elsewhere...}}

{{This is a great start! :D }}
{{Uuhh... what a start. This "veto" thing will ruin a lot of candidatures.}}.
{{What a wonderful beginning! .}}
mj_popcorn.gif

{{This veto aspect will prove fun... of course, the Blues were about to elect my character anyway, so we shouldn't have any issues. :D CzokletMuss, I know we must refrain from metagaming while in character, but... how close is the giant empire in the Far East? It seems to me the Far East will come to us soon, so we might be better off exploring elsewhere...}}
{{I will not breath further life into rumors of the alleged "great empire" hidden somewhere beyond the Eastern Sea - at least not before the Session begins ;) }}

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Peace Senator Wedrovar. Peace Senator Scipion. Must we argue? The greedy Pisans disguising themselves as blues undoubtedly have spies among the servants and we are already arguing amongst ourselves when only three of our demes has even arrived. Further more, we need to stop catering to the whites and blues! If you plan to support them in order to use them at least get some use from them! All we have ever gotten is empty promises! Support an economic reform because it is the best option or support a naval reform because you believe that it is the best option, but for Saint Markos' sake, make sure it benefits the army and the reds!
{and czoklet. what is with that gif?}

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Peace Senator Wedrovar. Peace Senator Scipion. Must we argue? The greedy Pisans disguising themselves as blues undoubtedly have spies among the servants and we are already arguing amongst ourselves when only three of our demes has even arrived. Further more, we need to stop catering to the whites and blues! If you plan to support them in order to use them at least get some use from them! All we have ever gotten is empty promises! Support an economic reform because it is the best option or support a naval reform because you believe that it is the best option, but for Saint Markos' sake, make sure it benefits the army and the reds!

Senator Aetius Scipion:

Senator Aelious is right. Lets make peace and wait for the others.

((I will edit the letter when I have a computer))

{{The gif is a three to four second clip from Michael Jackson's music video Thriller.}}

Reactions: