• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{How much time do we have? I don't think everyone is quite ready for a vote. I know I and several others have been extremely active, but there are several senators we have barely heard from.
I don't want to present any more motions or amendments to the senate, my senator already has enough to argue for, but someone definitely should.}}
{{ You have time until voting begins and it starts tomorrow at 9 p.m. (UTC+1). So slightly less than 24 hours. Indeed you were very active - which is great, I mean this Session is probably the best one so far - but if other Senators don't participate in the discussion, well, their loss :)

Remember that the default option (when the Senate fails to pass bills) is that the proposed bills are going to be enacted, just like it happened the last time. }}

{{ You have time until voting begins and it starts tomorrow at 9 p.m. (UTC+1). So slightly less than 24 hours. Indeed you were very active - which is great, I mean this Session is probably the best one so far - but if other Senators don't participate in the discussion, well, their loss :)

Remember that the default option (when the Senate fails to pass bills) is that the proposed bills are going to be enacted, just like it happened the last time. }}

{{Except this time, the majority of people are happy with what was initially proposed. Hopefully next time, we'll vote for something to change, but I'm fine with the way things are for now.}}

{{ I'm not saying you always have to try to pass something else than what is proposed in bills, I'm just reminding you how this works - it was a long break after all :) }}

{{I think things are clear by now after as much discussion. We just need to vote and see what happens

PS: We did not reach an agreement with blues previously, in case some one believes it beyond RP purposes}}

}}

{{True. Sometimes it's fun to fight windmills :).}}

{{
PS: We did not reach an agreement with blues previously, in case some one believes it beyond RP purposes}}

{{That kind of collective agreement seems very difficult to achieve. Maybe it could be done with the White Demes, since there's only two of us for now (which limits the value of an agreement). But for the other Demes it would be a lot of work.}}

{{True. Sometimes it's fun to fight windmills :).}}

{{That kind of collective agreement seems very difficult to achieve. Maybe it could be done with the White Demes, since there's only two of us for now (which limits the value of an agreement). But for the other Demes it would be a lot of work.}}

{{To be honest, I see it as an interesting RP resource. For example, this time it has allowed to clearly divided the red demes between progressive/maritime faction and conservative/economic faction. It will also give an undertone for Red demes election.

I still consider this the best senate session, even if I consider we won´t reach Senatus consensus.}}

{{To be honest, I see it as an interesting RP resource. For example, this time it has allowed to clearly divided the red demes between progressive/maritime faction and conservative/economic faction. It will also give an undertone for Red demes election.

I still consider this the best senate session, even if I consider we won´t reach Senatus consensus.}}
{{Yes, it was glorious- it begun with a very heated debate which included many new and colorful Senators presenting their opinions, continued with a recess which was more like a mega war of schemes and now ends with another heated debate AND scheme war. Truly the best Senate session until now.}}

Senator Leon Cortez (Blue Demes):

There has been much debate so far, but very little proposals, this senate session will not last forever, and we must submit our decisions to the president of the senate, so I implore all senators to start supporting ammendments.

{{edit: the text bolding was being tempermental}}
{{ Zqrfmb, if you are proposing two amendments/policies please propose them in separate posts so that we can easily count how many Senators support them. I advise you delete this post and make two new separate ones instead :) }}

{{Re-posting in order to split my amendment and policy to two posts}}
Senator Leon Cortez(Blue Demes):

AMENDMENT OF SENATOR CORTEZ
I wish to amend Senatus Consultum 5: Terms of peace – Aquitaine (annexation)
While I do believe the people of Aquitaine are good christians under the dominion of a wicked madman, I do believe that taking all of them under imperial protection would overextend us to an unacceptable degree, and thus pisan raiders would have easy access through our limes and cause a great deal of unrest not only in Aquitaine but also in Italia and Carthago, therefore I believe the mad "emperor" should be made to submit to three conditions:
First: The mad king disband his pathetic 'empire' that means literally nothing, as he has no authority over the remaining german states. Permanantly. All imperial regalia will given over and melted down. I would guess this would be enforced on him even if this amendment failed, but it does not hurt to repeat.
Second: The mad king submit to the true emperor's mercy, whatever it may be, and the nobility of Aquitaine pay tribute to Imperium Romanum as a vassal state until such a time that it can be annexed without the threat of pisan raiding and chaos.
Third: The mad king pay for his insolence by forefeiting some of Aquitaine's territories up front, a more managable amount than the entire kingdom, preferably a stretch of land that gives the imperium a land connection to the ocean beyond the Mare Nostrum, to support raiding of Xenoi trade fleets and keep a watchful eye on the brittanic provinces.

Reactions:
Senator Leon Cortez (Blue Demes):

POLICY OF SENATOR CORTEZ
Since nobody has proposed the policy of provinical taxation our recent administrative reforms have allowed for, I shall be the one to do it.
Since our reforms to the administration and military to provide a maximal amount of labor and manpower at a reduced cost, we have been able to get accurate figures of the wealth and availability of able-bodied men in an individual province. Therefore, if we were to adapt our taxation system on a provinical level, reducing the burden on themata depleted of men to fight or work the fields and making up the difference across richer themata, we would ultimately come out with more men for the Tagmata, thereby reducing our need for mercenaries, as well as less of an overhead cost for their upkeep, to reduce the expenditures of the imperium. This is, of course, at a cost, as many nobles who normally are in charge of leading the Tagmata will have to focus more on implementing this policy than leading troops, but it is a good alternative or supplement to economic reform.

Reactions:
Senator Maximos Wedrovander (Red Demes):

I must actually admit that I support both cortez proposals. Both that of policy and of the amendment considering Aquitaine. I'm also sorry about not being clear before. I Senator Maximos Wedrovander support Senator Serapis Admendment proposal fully this session. I could almost hear my grandfather cheering for that last statement. Lastly before I sit down again for a time I wish to voice my opinion on the Red Demes considerations when we are in "Official" control. My opinion is that we will need better logistics to operate anywhere in vast numbers, not just the desert {{ I support -5% land attrition}}. Lastly I believe that anything that would detract from the treasury at this time, that would impede on our efforts in the field should be discouraged until we have paid those loans back.

{{Edit: wrong senator :oops::rolleyes:}}

Last edited:
Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

I support both of Cortez amendments. I must try to hold my anger towards the Mad King of Aquitaine from his people.

{{Don't forget to hit the agree button on Zqrfmb's posts.}}

Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue demes):
I support the Both of the Cortez amendaments, however only if we will eventually annex Aquitaine when we're ready.
{{And KingJerKa, I think you meant Senator Serapis as he is the one who proposed the amendament :p}}

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos

House Melissenos supports both amendments of Senator Cortez

All imperial regalia will given over and melted down.

{{Although that lets my heart bleed... :( }}

{{ Remember that if there's anyone else who wants to propose an amendment, he has to do this - and gather 5 supporters - today before 9 p.m. (UTC+1). }}