• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes

{{ First off I owe an apology about the game mechanics particularly the idea groups. I'm sorry I thought it was calculated first instead of at the moment of choosing. Secondly I still think that it is nearly impossible to vassalize Ceylon but I concede that I'm no genius on the subject.}}
{{Btw can anybody tell me how to do that button stuff? I don't know how to do that. And I'd like to reply and send out some messages.}}

{{Quote someone and copy their tags.}}

Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

*Marcus reads the letter sent to him from Senator Serapis. Once done, he calmly puts it down and approaches the White Deme. A smile is ever-present on Marcus' face as he speaks.*
Alexios... Have I somehow offended you? I had thought we had already reached an agreement. This letter you sent to the Blue Demes... It almost seems as if you do not value my word. Some might even read your letter and think you are betraying me without even giving me a chance.

{{I honestly don't remember that proposal. I'm afraid I'm a bit disorganised and failed to keep track of my notes. Sorry. Can you remind me?}}

Alexios returns the smile with a hint of puzzlement.
"Offended, of course not. I find you eminently reasonable. It is simply, well." he leans in closer. "I'm afraid one of my servants has misplaced my notes, again. That will be dealt with in time, but for now I have no replacements. As embarrassing as that is to admit. Perhaps I should hire a Hebrew, they seem reliable."

{{Obviously, my Senator didn't send a Jew who looked like a believer of the Jewish faith...
Also, I don't think that ANY Jew or Muslim or Pagan in our tolerant Imperium walks with any religious clothes/headwear/anything else, so no one should really know :D}}

{{Then why would anyone be offended? I thought the Imperium was only racist against the Xenoi? Even Mongols can be redeemed if they convert. It still seems suspicious to me...:p}}

Last edited:
Petrus Taurinus (Reds)

*Still hanging around in the chapel, Petrus pens a short letter to Seraphis before the Divine Liturgy begins.*

Honorable Alexios Seraphas,

It is good to see that men of bravery and wisdom stand firm in the senate against the madness of the blues and their merchants.
Although I was pressured by those within the Reds to support the Blue's reforms, if you are indeed able to rally enough support for the economic reforms that the Imperium truly needs, I will gladly stand with you. The Empire needs the economic reforms and military support, not the disastrous obsessions with the navy the Blues advocate that will drive the Imperium into the ground.

For the good of the Empire,

Petrus Taurinus

*Another letter is also sent to Wedrovander*

Honorable Senator Wedrovander,

Although I have been pressured into giving support for Scipion's plan to give into the proposals of the blues, the decision does not sit well with me.
The Empire is indeed in need of economic reforms and support for the military. For the good of the Reds I cannot publicly break with the rest of our faction at this time, but if we can indeed rally enough supporters to our cause opposing the naval reforms, I will indeed stand with you.
At the present it seems like our best chance is to support Seraphis's proposal, but really anything that avoids being brow beaten into following the merchants is preferred.

Petrus Taurinus

{{Also to put the spoiler button on you go to the top bar and press the icon to the left of save, it will give you a small list and you choose spoiler to get the buttons.

Senator Serapis, I had already discussed with you that I will happily support your plan next Session so long as I could count of the White Demes to support my Faction now. Now you send my offer reversed to the other members of my fellow Blue Demes.
*Trying to remain calm while talking with the man Marcus suspected would lead the White Demes, a eunuch brought Marcus the message from Senator Raoul. The contents surprised him, as he had expected the Blue Demes to continue arguing over who would lead. His eyes shined as a plan came together in his mind. Marcus was completely for naval reforms {{Maritime Ideas}}, offering protection to Ceylon and funding another expedition, so publicly announcing his support for these issues would be fine.*

{{Then why would anyone be offended? I thought the Imperium was only racist against the Xenoi? Even Mongols can be redeemed if they convert. It still seems suspicious to me...:p}}
{{Well, the guy IS a Jew but it is a little secret of house Salamis. They actualy have many foreign servents- not only Greeks but also Italians, Mongols, Arabs, Hebrews, Armenians, Georgians, Castillans, Ethiopians, you get it, and some of them are converted Tengri, Jews and Muslims... and there are whispers that some are un-converted :)
Antiohos sent a Jew because he liked the idea of getting an infidel near an unaware fanatic, I roleplay his house as very tolerant (compared to others in the Empire), in some cases secretly. Well, not all of the house members, which you may see after Antiochos dies.}}
Senator Antiochos Salamis (blue demes):
*Antiochos strolls around the gardens, looking worried. He was already sure that the Blues will be able to pass the Maritime reforms easily, but now this Serpent Serapis {{;)}} managed to form a one man campaign and sway many to his side. Now these Economic reforms, which would put so much weigh of reforms on the Imperial administration that it will break, seem like a very likely outcome, maby as likely as Maritime reforms. Wedrovander, Taurinus, Serapis, Colombo, maby Pylaeus and some others... They are a lot. He has to do something. Quickly scribbling, Antiochos sends a letter to all of the red demes.*
Most illustrious members of the Red Demes,
The armies of the Imperium, which are your area of expersite, are one of the most important pillars of the Empire. They are the ones winning us victories and defending us against the Xenoi beasts.
I see, however, that some of you oppose the strengthening of the navy. It is most worrying. I ask you to support the maritime reforms, for the army needs the navy. Without ships, how can soldiers from Thema Italia transport to Africa to strike at the Xenoi? How can soldiers from Greece transport to Taurica to defend the Romanoi there against the Horde? Without the Navy, our glorious legions will have to walk aroung the Imperium, and that way journies will be long and they will suffer from a great attrition. It is also dangerous to make the Imperial Navy a simple transportation fleets- do you think that the Xenoi warships will allow us to just peacefuly transport our soldiers around Mare Nostrum? No, they will drown them along with the soldiers. We need a strong navy to win future wars against the Xenoi, and as we saw how poorly our current Navy performed- we must reform it. Please, support us in this.
I offer all of you to support the Maritime reforms this session, and if you agree the Blues will support an increased focus on military and more power to Megas Domestikos.
I also understand how important the economy is- and considering the poor state of our coffers, we will have to reform the Economy next. I promise to you, I will support this reform if you support a Maritime reform now. After these two reform, I can also say that I or my successor will gladly advocate for a reform to the army- whichever the Red demes chooses.
Senator Antiochos Salamis, head of house Salamis and holder of the Castle and City of Salamis.

Last edited:

Senator Serapis, I had already discussed with you that I will happily support your plan next Session so long as I could count of the White Demes to support my Faction now. Now you send my offer reversed to the other members of my fellow Blue Demes.
*Trying to remain calm while talking with the man Marcus suspected would lead the White Demes, a eunuch brought Marcus the message from Senator Raoul. The contents surprised him, as he had expected the Blue Demes to continue arguing over who would lead. His eyes shined as a plan came together in his mind. Marcus was completely for naval reforms {{Maritime Ideas}}, offering protection to Ceylon and funding another expedition, so publicly announcing his support for these issues would be fine.*

"Ah, yes. That was your proposal, but did I give my agreement? No. I said it was wise, perhaps. Because it is wise to offer compromise. Above all that is what the Senate needs, and I can see the appeal in following the Emperor's suggestion. We are all standing in his august light, and would all like to rise in his view. But he seeks our decision for a reason, and not simply to repeat his own words back to him, though that is honestly the only appeal I can see in enacting a Maritime reform at this time. Our economy is a sinking ship and it needs our aid now. Our sinking ships have already sunk.

You made your offer and I made my counter-offer. If we save the Economy now we can build more ships later, or give more prestige to our diplomats, or improve our trade. The Blue have time on their side, the Economy does not.

Or, are you concerned at a breach in confidence? I did mention your name in the note to the Blue senators. But I did not believe that would be harmful to you, on the contrary I took it as an indication that negotiations were underway and if you were leading those negotiations with the leader of the White it would improve your chances of you rising to lead the Blue Demes. If you took offense to that I sincerely apologize."

And if you accept my apology, let us continue to negotiate. There is yet time, and the Senate needs a greater majority. If a deadlock should arise we will yet need a compromise. Mine, yours, or someone else's."

{{Well, the guy IS a Jew but it is a little secret of house Salamis. They actualy have many foreign servents- not only Greeks but also Italians, Mongols, Arabs, Hebrews, Armenians, Georgians, Castillans, Ethiopians, you get it, and some of them are converted Tengri, Jews and Muslims... and there are whispers that some are un-converted :)
Antiohos sent a Jew because he liked the idea of getting an infidel near an unaware fanatic, I roleplay his house as very tolerant (compared to others in the Empire), in some cases secretly. Well, not all of the house members, which you may see after Antiochos dies.}}

{{That's great role-playing. I really like that you're giving yourself dangerous secrets someone could possibly get a hold of... :D, But I guess you're off the hook for now.
--

Another question for Czoklet. I tend to edit my posts after I've saved them, but only a few minutes after. Not to retcon anything or change the meaning of what I've written but just to correct grammatical errors or to format them better, or improve a weird turn of phrase. I know that is absolutely disallowed in the voting, but is it also banned here? In that caSE YOU WILL HAve to put up with my bad English, or ugly things like that. ;)
}}

Last edited:
{{Leandor, am I to take the letter you sent out as you no longer seeking to become the leader of the Blues?}}

{{Nope, he is just trying to act humble and get some kind of support for it, hehe }}

You know Kastelos, I'll be direct, I don't like you and I think I never will. It's physical, you can't stand the sight of some people and you are amongst the ones I can't. But we have the same agenda in the Senate and I think the Blues need some unity to finally win over the Reds and especially the Whites. Here is what I propose : we both relinquish our candidacies to become leader and elect someone more neutral. Arrius comes to mind but Salamis could be fine too. Of course in exchange of our support, we will be the first to receive honors should the Emperor give some to the Demes.
What do you say ? From what I see, the Blues could lose against the joint Whites and Reds. The latter are divided and could be persuaded easily to give up some support for our Reforms.
We have to avoid a White trick.

Senator Diaver Kastelos (Blue Demes)

Diaver didn't expect an answer that soon, less so direct. Exactly after Alexandros stopped talking, the senator of the Kasteloi left his seat, giving Raoul a great view of his back.

"You know, Alexandros, in our world nothing is black and white, even when the odds seems to confirm it." He turned right, with now his profile darkened thanks to the position of the light. The wine he have in his cup is moving in circles, leaving in evidence the good quality of the beverage. "Maybe we can't like each other, but we can have mutual respect. That would not only benefit us, but all of the Blues, specially when our cooperation is vital for the success of the faction."

"As for your offer... I can't tell you that I like it. While we both would relinquish our aspirations, you are proposing Salamis, which we, and all the senate knows, its your trusted allied. Even some say that they are nothing but a mere puppet of your family. I do not believe such non-sense, of course." Cynically smiled. "If he is elected you are the one who win anyway. Your influence, intact, while mine forgotten until the next session, and who knows when it will be."

"I'll think for a while your proposal, but if we are going to be truly neutral, I think that Arrius should be the one to get elected." He drinks a little of wine. "Neither a Raoul, a Salamis, or a Kastelos will lead if I, eventually, agree."

He leaves Alexandros alone, going for something to eat. Politics makes him hungry.

*Antiochos strolls around the gardens, looking worried. He was already sure that the Blues will be able to pass the Maritime reforms easily, but now this Serpent Serapis {{;)}} managed to form a one man campaign and sway many to his side. Now these Economic reforms, which would put so much weigh of reforms on the Imperial administration that it will break, seem like a very likely outcome, maby as likely as Maritime reforms. Wedrovander, Taurinus, Serapis, Colombo, maby Pylaeus and some others... They are a lot. He has to do something. Quickly scribbling, Antiochos sends a letter to all of the red demes.*
Most illustrious members of the Red Demes,
The armies of the Imperium, which are your area of expersite, are one of the most important pillars of the Empire. They are the ones winning us victories and defending us against the Xenoi beasts.
I see, however, that some of you oppose the strengthening of the navy. It is most worrying. I ask you to support the maritime reforms, for the army needs the navy. Without ships, how can soldiers from Thema Italia transport to Africa to strike at the Xenoi? How can soldiers from Greece transport to Taurica to defend the Romanoi there against the Horde? Without the Navy, our glorious legions will have to walk aroung the Imperium, and that way journies will be long and they will suffer from a great attrition. It is also dangerous to make the Imperial Navy a simple transportation fleets- do you think that the Xenoi warships will allow us to just peacefuly transport our soldiers around Mare Nostrum? No, they will drown them along with the soldiers. We need a strong navy to win future wars against the Xenoi, and as we saw how poorly our current Navy performed- we must reform it. Please, support us in this.
I offer all of you to support the Maritime reforms this session, and if you agree the Blues will support an increased focus on military and more power to Megas Domestikos.
I also understand how important the economy is- and considering the poor state of our coffers, we will have to reform the Economy next. I promise to you, I will support this reform if you support a Maritime reform now. After these two reform, I can also say that I or my successor will gladly advocate for a reform to the army- whichever the Red demes chooses.
Senator Antiochos Salamis, head of house Salamis and holder of the Castle and City of Salamis.

{{Again, why Maritime as opposed to Naval? Most of the fleet is galleys, and ship durability and admiral shock seems more useful than ship repair}}

Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna of the Red Demes

Naval reforms must pass, that much is clear. The Emperor himself is pressuring for these reforms... the Blues, if need be, require only to prevent 15 votes from coalescing behind any one reform on a Consultum If their seven Blue Demes stand united then they can forestall this from happening no matter how the others vote...
this implies, to him, that the blues are worried about division in their ranks, or else not suitably aware of Senate politics. Good knowledge to have, in any case.
He writes a letter to Senator Wedrovander, Senator Taurinius, Senator De Mallorca, all of the Red Demes, and to each of the Unaffiliated:

My fellow senators,
The Emperor himself has recommended a staunch overhaul of the navy. All proposals counter to this wisdom must be taken with the utmost care that they do not originate in mere politics. Do not forget that the first senate session did defy the Imperial wisdom, and chose army reforms first, yet they did submit to the path of wisdom in subsequent sessions, and reformed the administration after decades of delay. The economy is overtaxed, it is true, but these expenses have won us a decisive string of victories over the treacherous Xenoi. Who doubts that we shall fight them again? We cannot rest on our laurels... What good is a reformed economy if the ships built with it are sunk in their first major engagement? How many lives would a naval reform save? The benefits of a strong navy have been made apparent by myself, a staunch Red Deme, and others of my faction as well- when even men of the army have found cause to support such an action, then the crisis must be great indeed.
I urge you all to seek the path of wisdom and support Naval Reforms.
The Angeloi Protect,
Senator Este-Ravenna

{{Thank you all those who have told me about the spolier button I hope to use it to a nice effect}}

Senator Maximos Wedrovander (Red Demes):

*Maximos receives the writing equipment and begins to write hastily*

I understand your plight. However I think that your current stance will profit you and I in the long run. Simply put I believe that the red demes is in the position to assert that we are they who make or break a senate vote. Therefore we must be seen as pliable enough to bend when necessary. However I think there are more who support making more gold than say so. Also why would the blues deny an opportunity to get more gold and rather support the navy over trade? It was highly suspicious until I discovered that the proposed reforms are not about our galleys but rather trade protectors! They have been selling this as a great navy reform but forgot the most numerous ship in the fleet! That said though other parts of the proposal would help out but mostly for a reform of naval officers. Of which I admit there would be a need only if the last battle has shown it. Therefore I suggest until there is more support to stay where you are in your considerations. I hope to gather that which would be useful for us all in the end. Maximos Wedrovander

To your esteemed self of which there is no trade conducted without some consideration to your house and self I wish to bring to your attention that there is in your grasp a possibility to seize far more power than the current situation would seem to allow. I have been brought to attention a possibility that would not only bring strength to your demes but also bring the throwing out the power that the red demes still have. If you consider Naval ideas instead of maritime ideas then the entirety of the military might will focus upon it and they will have no power to do any other action! You end up with not only having power in this senate but also guaranteed power for at least the next senate as well! I could understand why you would need to compromise in the face of such power of the red demes seeing as they are the true power within the senate. However this maybe a chance to show forth that it was the blue demes who hold power all along! I simply wish to bring this to you attention. Signed anonymous.

Greetings I hope that you recieve this information well and that it maybe of some use to you.
*Enclosed is a cope of the letter sent to the house Raoul*
If anything this will show who is considered the true power in your faction when and if you disclose it to any of your allies or soon to be ones.
Signed Anonymous

*Maximos grabs a eunuch*

Deliver these to the servants of those listed to. I have to admit that I hate being the one who has to speak unpleasant things from other sources.

Senator Junius Pylaeus (unaffiliated)

*While chatting the time away with Senator Ouranos, Junius feels as if there is a quiet suspense rising during this supposed break from political affairs. The letters being sent in between the factions and the different persons talking to each other imply that nothing is decided yet. What is supposedly a time of relief turned into something like an all-out scheme-war between the two blocks of the discussion. Merely the public debate has been put to a halt. And Junius certainly wants to turn the unaffiliated into the deciding factor of this session. After taking a sip from his glass of fine wine, he calls for his most trusted servant.*

"Honorius, I need you to get the casket we talked about earlier. Be sure to bring it in utmost secrecy. If you are to be discovered with it before it can be put to use at the correct time...let's just make sure that it won't come to this."

Before leaving the gardens, Honorius hands Junius a letter from Senator Este-Ravenna.

After reading its contents, Junius thinks to himself: "Even after several people of his demes clearly oppose this maritime first-doctrine, he still chooses to go for it? Has he gone mad or was he bribed by the blues? Either way, his future in the ranks of the reds is most likely finished after going against the will of his own affiliated senators.
Since he just confirms his previous position, I have nothing new to say to him."

{{Undead Martyr, I think that we need the military points to catch up with the Xenoi, and to choose a diplomatic group idea after an administrative and military one, but if we have enough military points and diplomatic points would be more useful for tech to get better ships, going with Naval is better.
Also, KingJerKa, you know that Naval ideas will give influence to the Blue demes too, right? ;)}}
*After another fight with his fanatic white-supporting cousin, Antiochos decides that he needs to do a few more conversations. Recess? Ha. He decides to seek Senator Kastelos and finds him eating.*
Hello, Diaver. First of all, I want to assure that if we make any compromise with another demes to ensure a naval or maritime reform now, you follow our promises in this compromise.
Now, I want to inform you that I have abandoned my wish to become the leader of the blue demes this session, and that I did it for the unity of our demes. I can also tell you that, pondering which candidate should I suppors, you were an option- you're, in my opinion, a good and capable man to lead our demes. I can't, however, destroy my alliance with house Raoul and so will not support you. I decided, however, to support Senator Arrius- something about Alexandros seems wrong to me. Because our unity is so dear to me, I would like to propose this to you- withdraw your candidacy and support Arrius. Now, the Kasteloi trade company is broken. The Salamis trade company, after beign non existent until not many years ago, is thriving and controls, along with the Raoul company, much of the Aegean sea. These facts you know. In exchange for abandoning your ambition of becoming the faction leader for the sake of the Blue unity, my house could give your some support and maby some help with re-establishing your trade. Just be warned- do not return the Aegean sea, not after houses Raoul and Salamis managed to sieze much of the trade there from house Kasteloi.

{{This recess is so awesome... It was a realy great idea, Czoklet.}}

Michael Komnenos, President of the Senate:

The short recess has finally ended and Senators come back to the Great Hall. Their chatter, laughs and whispers fill the ancient Magnaura. Michael Komnenos observes them as they take their seats, refreshed after the short break and ready to continue the debate. And though not a single one of them seems to be affected by poison, still so commonly used in the feuds among the aristoi, Komnenos knows all too well that not food or wine but poisoned words hurt the most.

After all of them have taken their places, he rises from his ebony armchair with help of two eunuchs and takes Fasces of the Imperial Senate from the hands of eagle-bearer. Silence fills the room. Komnenos hits gently the floor of Magnaura with the Fasces and speaks in a quiet, soft manner .

- The recess has ended, noble Senators. I hope you spent this time wisely, for there is still much, hmm, to talk about, yes. This Session was called by His Imperial Majesty to provide blessed Autokrator with counsel, a wise counsel mind you. Noble Senators, do not forget that to answer to questions of the sacred Emperor is not only your, hmm, privilege but also your duty. Yes... - Michael Komnenos glances at the golden Imperial Two-Headed Eagle atop the Fasces – However, this duty is not only yours. His Imperial Majesty has sent one of his most trusted servants to join us here today. - Leaning on the Fasces, Komnenos rises his left hand palm up. – All rise.

ZG3cyHN.jpg

The Senators rise from their seat while Michael Komnenos turns toward the throne still hidden beyond the curtain.

- His Excellency Javier Espinosa, Megas Droungarios of the Imperium Romanum and Megas Doux of the Imperial Navy.

Megas Droungarios Javier Espinosa:

Suddenly the curtain opens, revealing the throne before which stands a bearded middle-aged man with long black hair beneath his dark blue turban. Even despite being quite far away from the Senators he appears to be shorter than most of them. The men wears a simple paludamentum blue cloak with a huge brooch of Megas Droungarios encrusted with sapphires. He smiles down to the Senators and rises his right hand in a sign of good will.

- Greetings, noble Senators! I am honored to be a guest of the Imperial Senate and I beg your forgiviness for my late arrival. As a member of the Imperial Council I have many responsibilities and some of the matters which require my attention simply cannot wait, among them especially those in which His Imperial Majesty has taken interest. I'm sure you understand. After all we're all servants of the Throne, aren't we? And you really don't want to dissapoint our blessed Autokrator, long may he reign, unless you want to have a little chat with the Athanatoi that is. - Megas Droungarios winks – I'm sure there is a certain protocol to these things but forgive me if I skip over the usual pleasantries and spare you the trouble to listen a litany of compliments adressed to you noble Senators, hmm? I would like to get to know you better – well, better than what my spies told me about you. - He winks again – Now don't act as if you were surprised, my friends. You're in Konstantinoupolis, the Queen of Cities, the heart of the Imperium! You think agentes in rebus of Scrinium Barbarorum dedicate their attention only to barbarians? Ha! But let's not delve into this - time is money, as they say in Pisa, so let's not waste our precious time then.

Javier Espinosa sits in the throne.

- Now, me and illustrious President of the Senate have already talked about the part of the debate I missed, for which once again please accept my most sincere apologies. Imagine my surprise when I found out that, despite my initial fears, the Imperial Senate is filled not with sycophants but with Roman citizens who dare to have their own opinions. How about that, eh? - He smiles widely - A true rarity these days! You should all be sent to Pandidakterion immediately instead of sitting here together with mindless flatterers who fill the Imperial Court. Having spent five years within its walls I can tell you that Great Pandidakterion is nothing like the Sacred Palace – not nodding in agreement with whatever your superior says but challenging him and using your wit is encouraged there. I see now why blessed Autokrator Markos III Angelos decided to renovate this ancient institution, for truly having someone with a different point of view is much more valuable to those in power than ten mindless servants of which there is no shortage, let me tell you that. - Espinosa pauses for a moment and then rises from the throne - Enough. I would like to spend more time discussing various subjects with free minds like yours but alas time is of the essence. Let's talk about the reason you are here – to advice the sacred Emperor on matters vital for the future of the Imperium, most important of them being the reform of the Imperial Navy.

Megas Droungarios slowly comes down the marble daises surrounding the throne.

3Kn3tI9.jpg
- My predecessor drowned with ten thousand good Romaioi during the battle of Pillars of Hercules facing the xenoi warships and with him died the majority of our naval forces. A catastrophic defeat which, as you all know, had a direct impact on our campaign in Africa and Bavaria. Shame that it had come to this before. Even greater shame that it was not the first time when our dromonoi were destroyed by the Westerners like child's toys. His Imperial Majesty was absolutely clear on this subjects in our conversations – such tragic and senseless loss of life may never happen again. The Imperial Navy have risen again and again like a phoenix but no more. The next time soulless xenoi approach our shores not Romaioi but they shall know the bitter taste of defeat. - He stops on the last dais and looks at the Senators - I know that all of you are well-educated. Some of you mentioned an ancient enemy of the Imperium from the time in which it was barely a size of a today's province – Carthage. Our ancestors defeated the Carthaginians, although they were masters of the seas at the time while Romans excelled on land. How, you ask? The answer is simple – they adapted.

He takes the last step and sets his feet on the marble floor of Magnaura nearby the puzzled Michael Komnenos visibly disturbed by such open rejection of the protocol concerning guests of the Imperial Senate who always listen to the debate from their throne.

V0DYHjK.jpg
– Noble Senators, I've come here to tell you about the vision of His Imperial Majesty. A vision of Mediterranean turned once again into Mare Nostrum, Our Sea, safe from any and all enemies of Romaioi and Christians. A vision of the strong Imperial Navy, a Navy capable of not only supporting the Imperial Army but also dealing a devastating blows to our enemy on its own. A vision of the Imperium which masters not only the power of the land but also the power of the sea. This, my friends, is what I want to share with you.

WbAPwy4.jpg
– The reform of the Navy, long overdue and today more important for the prosperity of the Imperium than ever, will take years, there's no doubt about this. This won't be an easy process, hence why His Imperial Majesty in his wisdom is considering giving special powers to his loyal servant in order to make the reforms a little easier. Though if I were you I wouldn't trust me with so much power – after all, power corrupts and there's plenty of corruption in the Imperium as it is, eh? Espinosa winks to Senators from the White Demes - Yes, the task is immense. Yes, it will be expensive. But don't all good things have a price? Noble Senators, what I'm asking here is to think creatively and in an unconventional way because clearly narrow-minded approach to the Navy has led us nowhere. - He turns towards members of the Blue Demes – They call some of you the Blue Senators. They treat you with disdain – the dynatoi, the older Houses. And I say let them laugh at you, let them call you greedy merchants and upstart riffraff. Because clearly you are. - He smiles – And that's your greatest advantage. Too long the Navy was led by indolent aristoi and the Imperium paid a horrible price for their lack of vision. What the Imperium needs right now is not the old blood – this we have plenty – but new ideas. Fresh perspective, my friends! Some of you say that the Imperial Treasury is in trouble, that not a single basilikon should be spent on investments in our fleet. Some say that there is no money. - Espinosa points his index finger at the seats of the Red Demes – No gold to protect the Imperium from xenoi warships, eh? I say if we need the gold we take it from the Westerners!

qWSIwDA.jpg
- Thanks to the support His Imperial Majesty gave to Pisa during their ill-conceived war against their former masters we gained access to vital information shared with our agentes in rebus by Pisan traders – willingly, may I add. Well... mostly willingly. - Espinosa grins, turns away from the Reds and starts to walk in circles in the middle of the Great Hall while gesticulating vividly – We know where the xenoi ships from the Far West deliver their goods from beyond the Sunset Sea and where they are loaded with slaves and other valuable cargo to be sent across the sea. There are three major ports, three gates to the Far West – and all but one are beyond our reach.

gMoWQKA.jpg
Noble Senators, you say we don't have enough money? If you advice His Imperial Majesty to give me a free hand in matters concerning the Navy I promise you that the expenses of the Aerarium not only won't increase but that in fact the Roman sailors shall ease the financial burden of the Imperium. Instead of limiting ourselves to Mare Nostrum we should hunt down every ship in which xenoi carry their spoils from Europe to the Far West. But, you will say, our fleet can't match the warships of the Westerners? You are correct. – Espinosa pauses for a dramatic effect – Dromonoi have served the Imperium for hundred of years but they are nothing compared to leviathans from beyond the sea. So what shall we do? I will tell you, my friends. Abandon the old ways of thinking and instead think what would our ancestors do. What they did to preserve the Imperium against Carthaginians and Persians, Muslims and Slavs. And Avars. And Latins, Mongols and all other barbarians. Why the xenoi should be different? What I want from you, my friends, is to ask yourselves... - Espinosa points at the Imperial Two-Headed Eagle atop of the Fasces - … what would Saint Markos do? Would he have us cowering behind our walls, ignoring the unknown world beyond our limites? Would he clutch to the old solutions, despite it being obvious that they do not work? Or perhaps... - Megas Droungarios turns towar the Senators - Perhaps he would do everything in his power to protect faithful Romaioi.

oyXQaO4.jpg
- Perhaps he would have us face the unknown. Perhaps he would have us tame the fire-breathing metal statues from the Far West and use them against the Enemy. Our dromonoi can't face the warships of the Westerners? Fine. Let's capture one of these warships or buy it from the Pisans so that scholars of Pandidakterion could learn how to construct them. Let's sail bravely through the uncharted seas to the lands far away. You fear we find enemies there. I say the Imperium is surrounded by enemies – what harm could one more inflict upon the Romaioi which could match the horrors unleashed on Europe by the Westerners? - Espinosa stops few feet from the first row of Senators – What you close your eyes and minds to are the great treasures we can find there, a means with which we can finally push the xenoi back to the sea they crawl from. And I'm not talking about gold or spices or even slaves of which so many thousands the Navy needs to work in shipyards and on dromonoi as rowers. No, I'm talking about the greatest treasure there is - knowledge. And knowledge, my friends, is power.

Silence fills the Magnaura. Espinosa stands before the Senators looking them into their eyes. He smiles and raises both of his hands.

– May Saint Markos bless you today with his guidance.

He turns towards Michael Komnenos.

– Forgive me, illustrious President of the Senate - sometimes when I talk about this subject I forget where I am. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Espinosa turns towards the Senators and winks.

– Just like old ideas. -

He turns away, bows slightly before the President and walks back to his seat As he reaches the throne, he turns and looks down at the Senators.

– I'm sure you have many questions, I don't expect anything else from you. Feel free to ask them. As they say in Pandidakterion, there are no stupid questions. – he grins – Only stupid students.

Megas Droungarios summons one of the eunuchs to pour some water in his golden chalice and awaits the answers.

Another question for Czoklet. I tend to edit my posts after I've saved them, but only a few minutes after. Not to retcon anything or change the meaning of what I've written but just to correct grammatical errors or to format them better, or improve a weird turn of phrase. I know that is absolutely disallowed in the voting, but is it also banned here? In that caSE YOU WILL HAve to put up with my bad English, or ugly things like that. ;)
}}
{{It's not forbidden, it's encouraged in fact :) "No editing" rule is for voting so that your vote is final; here you can edit spelling and grammar as long as you want to (within reasonable limits of course) :)

{{This recess is so awesome... It was a realy great idea, Czoklet.}}
I'm glad it worked out like this! :) }}

{{ Well I'll be the first stupid student :p }}

Senator Alexandros Raoul :

*Alexandros is visibly destabilized by the speech of the Megas Droungarios. He is at the same time enjoying the fact that the Emperor trusts such a character to lead the Navy and shut all objectiosn from the madmen. He decides to rise and ask a question*

Question :

Honorable Megas Droungarios, it is an honor to see you there. I have a question you may be able to answer. Why don't we use Greek Fire and arm the dromonoi with this terrifying weapon ? It is this weapon that saved the City of the World's Desires from the Arabs, and surely it could inflict tremendous damages if it were used in the Western areas of the Mediterannean. Not that I discard the firesticks from the West but I don't see why we should not use our most frightening weapons on our archenemies.

Last edited:

*Marcus stands and applauds once Megas Droungarios finishes his speech.*
Well said! To hear from such a bright mind makes the time waited seem inconsequential. I cannot agree more with you. To fear our enemies' tools is the same as accepting death. Just as Senator Raoul says, I am all for incorporating Greek Fire into our attacks, but we must go further. We must use these cannons. The Imperium is greater than the Xenoi. If they can use these weapons, imagine what our ships will be capable of with them.

Question:

Megas Droungarios, how long would it take us to acquire the Xenoi's weapons? Is Pisa willing to sell?

Last edited:

*Alexios continues his polite conversation with Marcus Arrius (before the senate reopens) while glancing at the senators plotting around him, noting the eunuchs and servants dancing around each others to deliver their masters schemes to their victims, enemies and allies. It was as exhilarating as it was exhausting. Briefly, to keep up his own place in the dance, he excuses himself and pens another set of letters to the Senators outside any Faction.

To the unaffiliated:*
"Most esteemed colleague.

I applaud your wisdom in keeping your options open, to serve the Imperium by following your own head without the need to adhere to narrow principles. It shows a strength of character that the Imperium needs if it is to face it's current troubles and overcome them, but there are disadvantages to standing too firmly on ones independence. Membership in a faction carries many advantages for yourself and for your house, and if narrowness of principle is your main concern with the faction system you need not be concerned. The Blues may care for little but their fleets and oceanic trade, while the Reds are consumed by the needs of the army, and no matter what compromise some of them try to reach they will always be rivals. For they compete for the same resources. Resources the Administration provides and the Faith motivates. Their focus may be narrow, but the Whites' need not be. The White Demes can fulfil or deny both their needs, because we are the centrist option. We have no natural rival, and our scope is vast. If you believe narrow-mindedness defines us you could not be more wrong.
Trough the Administration we reach into both their domains and trough the faith we reach into the heart of every true Christian. Join us and stand at the heart of the Imperium!

The great issue of the day is Maritime or Economic reform. And I ask you, as senators and patriots of Rome; What use are ships we can not pay for? What use are fleets that have proven they can not win, even with a few more coins tossed their way? What use is having the second greatest fleet in the world, when the greatest fleet is twice as powerful with a far stronger economy to support it? We can defeat the Xenoi on land, that much is proven and has been proven enough. Why should we try to build a fleet that can defeat them in open battle when we have won our wars even after our own fleet has been sunk? There is no reason. There is no sense.

The Economy is always vital, and never so more than now when we are drowning in debt. Our interest payments nearly equal our incomes from taxes. Our inflation devours ever greater parts of our treasury. That must end, or we face bankruptcy. And bankruptcy is unworthy of Greece, unworthy of the Imperium, unworthy of us.

Senator Alexios Serapis."

{{ Well I'll be the first stupid student :p }}

Senator Alexandros Raoul :

*Alexandros is visibly destabilized by the speech of the Megas Droungarios. He is at the same time enjoying the fact that the Emperor trusts such a character to lead the Navy and shut all objectiosn from the madmen. He decides to rise and ask a question*

Honorable Megas Droungarios, it is an honor to see you there. I have a question you may be able to answer. Why don't we use Greek Fire and arm the dromonoi with this terrifying weapon ? It is this weapon that saved the City of the World's Desires from the Arabs, and surely it could inflict tremendous damages if it were used in the Western areas of the Mediterannean. Not that I discard the firesticks from the West but I don't see why we should not use our most frightening weapons on our archenemies.

{{ Ahem.

GUESTS & HEARING
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate may issue statement shortly after opening of the Session.
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate may answer questions asked by Senators; he may not participate in a debate however.
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate while answering a question may use all data available to him considering his position in the imperial administration.
  • Questions to the Guest of the Imperial Senate have to concern matters debated during current Senate Session.
  • Every Senator has a right to answer a question, no matter his Faction affiliation or position.
  • Questions are asked using the following template:
    Code:
    [size=4][b]Question:[/b][/size]
  • Guest of the Imperial Senate has the right to ignore questions asked without using the aforementioned template or those he deems unimportant or badly thought out.

When I'll be reading your posts tomorrow I may miss the questions to Megas Droungarios if you won't follow the rules. So please follow them :p }}

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos

*Titos is listening the speech of the Drougarios carefully and while he doesn't agree with all points, he has respect for this man and as he finishes his speech, Titos is one of the first to rise from his seat and applauds respectfully.*