• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Iskandar Ouranos (unaffiliated)

*A man in his thirties gets up to speak, having been staying silent for the beginning of the session.*

Fellow senators, the Imperium faces off in 2 major wars, soon to be a third once again with the xenoi. Thus is it really the time to focus on far-away lands that will provide almost nothing to us? Even if we were to put this land known as Ceylon under our vassalage, the distance between us and them would mean that they only owe us loyalty on paper. Do you really think they would send troops to die for an Imperium they have just discovered? We must be pragmatic here gentlemen.

Nay, we must focus on our territory, and the state of our economy should prove this twofold. I will not stand for a Senate that would so dismissively spend so much on far-away lands that may have no impact on the Imperium. The economy must be reinforced, our enemies must be dealt with firmly and quickly. Aquitaine must fall and the war with the Horde must end with a peace much in our favour. As Senator Maximos has said, I have yet to see something the Navy has actually brought to the Imperium apart from defeat after defeat. Thus I firmly believe that the construction of any major fleet must be put at the bottom of our agenda, as building one after the disastrous losses at the Straits of Gibraltar and the Barbary Coast would only be a setback to the economy that will end with another loss.
Stability and wealth is what we need, reducing this inflation that plagues our prices must be our ultimate focus. Our administration needs to be the focus of the Imperium with only this in mind.

Senator Junius Pylaeus (unaffiliated)

*Junius finally raises himself to add his own voice to the discussion*

Fellow senators, for long years the halls of Magnaura filled me with sadness whenever I entered them. The Senate was not called and nothing but dust and silence were accompanying my thoughts. It is truly a great pleasure for me to see these halls finally come to life again.

Senator Ouranos, thank you for speaking out as one of the neutral members of this great council. I did not wish to be the first since there are some many new senators here that I found it inappropriate for a long time member to speak out first. But let me allow to address the urgent matters at hand now.

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (the Blues)
So for those of you who dismiss our navy, a counter proposal would be the strengthening of the internal economic framework of the empire. From simply enhancing the bureaucracy to make the tax collection more thorough and efficient towards higher centralization of all imperial financial processes. Even the imperial army might profit from this. {{Proposal: Economic Ideas}}

Well met, Senator Melissenos. I can see the wisdom in your words and I am surprised that a member of the blue demes makes this proposal. I don't know if you are familiar with my house, but we are scholars in these dark times and as such I find myself spending a lot of time in Imperial libraries studying old manuscripts and pondering the overall situation of the Imperium with Imperial officials. We have to face the grim reality of the Imperial economy: Our coffers are empty. Rebuilding the fleet would mean taking more loans and further questioning the legitimacy of our coin in the world. This must not happen!

The fleet is very important, of course. And yes, we will see a more glorious navy rise in the future. But for now, we have to temprarily limit the role of the Imperial navy to that of a transport fleet for the more succesful - and thus fundworthy - army. This will change once the economic situation has improved.

I believe that we can count on your support on this, senator Ouranos and Serapis? Surely the white demes agrees with us on this.

I want to encourage the other unaffiliated members to think about this - please support this proposal. All of us are individuals, we do not belong to a demes, but the senate needs a majority to be able to make decisions.

{{I support the proposal of economic ideas.}}

To further enhance the ability of our legions in the field I also support that - since there will be no immediate rebuilding of the fleet - we direct more capital towards the military. I believe that the honourable members of the red demes would much rather join us in this cause if we can give them something in return and they will not have to make half-baked deals with the esteemed blue demes.

{{I support the switch to a military focus.}}

Since we do save a lot of money if we do not rebuild the fleet, we can direct this saved capital to other matters of the fleet. I am sure that the senators of the blue demes agree when I support the funding of another expedition into the east to uncover more distand lands and to learn more about Hindustan and south Africa. Being a scholar always keeps me curious about the unknown and we need all the knowledge that we can get if we are to face the most despicable Xenoi again - and that is just a matter of time, not one of probability.

{{I support the new voyage of discoveries in the Eastern Sea.}}

In fact, one of benefits the first venture into the east brought to us was the discovery of Ceylon. Now, we might not know the exact location or the coastal outline of the island. But in time, we will. Especially if we start diplomatic and trade relations with them. Should the Imperium be able to acquire that Island as part of its sphere of influence than I think it would be very wise to grasp this opportunity. They will share their knowledge with us to the benefit of everyone. We will be able to profit from the trade with them. And who knows, maybe we will find new friends against the horrible enemies that never cease to threaten our borders?

I say these perspectives are definitely worth giving a try.

{{I support the attempt of vassalisation of Ceylon.}}

The last immediate matter, that I want to address as of now, is the enactment of the pronvical taxation system. This policy further strengthens the iron fist of our military whilst saving money that we currently lack. Enacting it will prove very beneficial, especially for the stretched state our economy currently finds itself in.

{{I support the enactment of the provincial taxation system.}}

"And I, with total confidence, can say the next: even the merchant fleet of the Kasteloi fought better than the Imperial Navy."

Senator Kastelos, I know that you have been called to the Senate just recently. But please choose your words more carefully in the future. Belittling the Imperial Navy after it had to suffer a fatal blow is not something that a senator should do. I am sure that the fleet of your family did everything it could, but making it sound like you outperformed the Imperial Navy of our beloved Imperium Romanum is a little insolent, don't you think? We can only be thankful that our most venerated guest has not arrived yet, for this would have been both: A grave insult to him in person as well as his position in general that he could not have led slip by without losing face.

You are however right, when you talk about the necessity of adopting these "cannons". We will not be able to defeat our mortal enemies if we do not adopt what we can learn from them. That's why I strongly suggest that we modernize the transport fleet with cannons. On top of that, we should try to produce them for our legions as well. I'd like to propose that we build a number of test cannons so that our army might introduce them into their ranks. We have seen how devastating their use in the field can be.

Ceterum censeo Aquitanium esse delendam. Their lands are rightfully Roman, they shall join the Imperium once more.

Pardon me for making such a long speech, I wholeheartedly wish to hear your thoughts now, my fellow senators.

Last edited:
{{ It's a really nice feeling to see such vivid debate in the Senate after all this time :)

Please keep in mind that depending on which Idea Group is chosen, one Demes will gain 100 influence in the Senate and thus its modifiers will affect the Imperium for a long time:

ZTidGvN.jpg

As for some of your questions, I'm sure megas droungarios will answer them as soon as he arrives. }}

Petrus Taurinus (Reds)

*Petrus is smiling as he watches the unfolding discussion, he senses the potential for the Blues to finally lose power after so many years dominating the Empire. ,
*to his fellow Reds:*

It would seem if we supported the economic reforms and a military investment we may able to persuade the unaffiliated to stand with us, as well as the Whites, well, the White, with you good senator's support, I would lead the Reds in proposing that the senate adopt the economic reforms and a focus on the development of the military. (Economic Ideas and Military Focus)
*he frowns*
As a member of the Red Demes I would prefer that our reforms went towards the military but such a proposal seems uncertain of success, and in any case, economic reforms are far superior to the alternative naval proposal that would likely only succeed in bankrupting the Empire.

Last edited:
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes

Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna of the Red Demes:
Giacomo mentally raises an eyebrow. He had not been expecting the lone White Deme to be anything approaching reasonable, let alone of nimble wit... this would be entertaining. He inclines his head in respect. "It is the wise man who acknowledges the wisdom of his elders. The Lord did give us all our parts to play in service to His designs, and faith is a treasure beyond counting."

"In the matter of the fleets I must respectfully disagree, noble Serapis. The Xenoi have shown the ability to launch major invasions across great distances. They raid our coasts with impunity. Worse, the Tagmata in Africa were harried by raiders, their supplies stretched thin. How many hundreds of Romans starved in the African sun? And, if we are ever to strike at the heart of darkness we must be able to fight them at sea.

"True, the Xenoi are capable of invading and raiding our shores, though the historical record shows they use that ability poorly. The problem is that they seem capable of doing so no matter what our navy tries to do to stop them. Will a handful more or bigger ships make a difference, even equipped with heathen sorcery? I doubt it. Our armies suffered in the desert because their strategy relied on naval supply which failed to show. We chose the location of our fight and those troubles could have been avoided."

"As for fighting them in their home-land, Senator Este-Ravenna, I admire your audacity. But that can only be a very long term goal. One we will never reach unless we first strengthen the Imperium internally."

Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue Demes):

As for you, Senator Serapis- it is appearent that your house hadn't changed one bit. All my father told me about your predecessor, I would tell my son about you. How can you ignore the achievements of the Kermanos expedition? You say that it only confirmed what was known- and I ask you, was it known that we will be able to vassalize a nation in such a strategic position as Ceylon, which would allow us to gain more knowledge about the area, more trade, more soldiers to fight for us in the east, more followers of the one true faith? No, we hadn't even dreamed of such a thing. And this achievement came from only one expedition- imagine what we may discover in more expeditions! Did the lord make this world to remain unexplored?
I would also ask you how, as a pious man who obviously supports the destruction of the Xenoi like every true Kristianoi, do you expect to fight them at their homeland?
Our fleet cannot become a petty transportation device if we want to defeat the Xenoi. We cannot allow the Xenoi ships to freely roam Mare Nostrum and raid our coasts, and we cannot push against their homeland without a strong fleet to counter their own. Furthermore, our... transportation fleet, which is what you want the Roman navy to become, will be easily hunted down and destoyed by the Xenoi ships, and all the transported soldiers will drown with the ships.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

{{At this rate, houses Salamis and Serapis will be sworn enemies :p These Senate rivalries are quite entertaining.}}

{{:D}}

"Ah, House Salamis." he nods, smiling slightly. "Yes, my uncle talked at length about your father. But we would be foolish to believe everything we're told, lest you would be the spawn of... Well, that hardly matters anymore."
"What matters more is the state of the treasury. And had the Kermanos expedition been a private notion, a couple of merchant ships simply sailing across the eastern ocean to rekindle ancient trading routes all would have been fine. A poor investment for the merchant, perhaps, but hardly a concern for the State. But instead the merchants brought the senate into their venture and got 1300 {{ducats}} for their trouble. Do you really believe their few ships cost that much to build and supply when the imperial navy for all its waste can build a ship for 20? Where did the money truly go? Perhaps some of it returned to the senate?"

Senator Maximos (Red Demes)
I propose that we consider trade ideas instead of maritime ideas.

"An interesting idea, Senator Maximus. There is some merit to your proposal."

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (the Blues)
From simply enhancing the bureaucracy to make the tax collection more thorough and efficient towards higher centralization of all imperial financial processes. Even the imperial army might profit from this. {{Proposal: Economic Ideas}}

"That is wise, considering our current situation. If we bring our debt under control the whole Imperium will prosper."
---
{{I have to go before I could finish, but this is great. I'm really glad the game is on again.}}

Senator Alexandros Raoul

*Alexandros has stayed calm since the beginning of the Session only greeting the nobles he knew there. He did not like that Kastelos, too brave, too insolent ; he might be a problem to become leader of the Blue Demes. It was sad to see the Blues reduced to such few numbers but well it meant less opponents in the end. Anyway he was well in his forties, wearing rich clothes but few jewelry. All in his person showed his nobility, and he would challenge anyone denying it.*

*He rises and speaks*

"Fellow senators and servants of the Imperium, this debate has seen interesting developments, I won't deny it. I don't think I need to present myself and for those who do not know me, well it may be time gentlemen to inform yourselves of your superiors in the Imperium.

I have to say that I will not be long and I will reserve my thoughts for when our honored guest eventually arrives. Already what I can say is that Aquitaine must be crushed. Their lands are rich and will be better under our admnistration than the one of a fool and heretic. That I think is one decision we all share, at least I hope. One must not forget that the war with the Horde is not finished and ur admnistration might find difficult to organize all these territories at once. Such a thing will be true if we suddenly decide to give more funds to the admnistration instead of following the benevolent and righteous advice of our Emperor -St Markos bless him.

The Navy is in dire needs of reform, all can agree on that. We must not forget what our ancestors did in their time for history is often an acquisition for the future, honorable senators. The Athenian strategos, Themistocles said that "the one who rules the sea, rules everything" and that is the truth. Some will say that navy is inferior to the army and I think it is wrong. Should our navy form a wall of wood across the Western Ocean, then no Xenoi swarm would ever threaten us ! A powerful navy would have alleviate the problem of supplies for the glorious Imperial tagmata. I know I might not see it happening in my lifetime but I cherish this project will all my heart.

Also I present myself for the position of leader of the Blues and thus succede my grandfather -St Markos bless him- to protect the interets of the Imperium that are clearly threatened by the other Demes who only see their interests as important. Inflation is a dire problem but fighting it would only overstretch what was reformed in the last decades. Strenghtening the navy will also offer us the ability to maybe one day establish a real thalassocracy like the Athenian archè, and will strengthen trade along with the Imperial Navy. To deny the truth given by the Emperor, counseled by God, is foolish, dear nobles and I think we must bear the burden of finances a while longer ... If I'm chosen by you honorable Blues then I will help organize a special charter company to continue the colonization of all lands available to us. Funj which was recently vassalized must be integrated to open a gate to the rich lands of West Africa.

For how this reform will be done, I will await the advices of the Megas Droungarios. I must say however to not listen without thinking to the proposals of Senator Kastelos. He paints himself as a war hero but for him to survive where all others failed he must not have been close to danger. His predecessor was a treacherous one and I fear he inherited his vices .... "

*After Senator Raoul returned to the Blue faction, Junius stands up to raise a question*

Esteemed Senator Raoul,

so you propose taking further loans and neglecting the current economic situation to once again raise a powerful fleet? Since you accuse the other demes of persuing nothing but their own interests, this disrepute surely would not befall such a noble and humble Senator like you.

In my opinion Senator Melissenos of your very own demes shows more concern regarding the entire Imperium then you do at this moment, which is why I must raise this question:

Do you really think that not improving the economic situation of the Imperium with its catastrophic inflation and thousands of ducats of debt is the right way? How can the reconstruction of the fleet bring salvation to the Imperium after it failed to do so numerous times? What is different now?

Please enlighten me, for I cannot follow your train of thought thus far.

Senator Antiochos Salamis (blue demes):
Senator Junius Pylaeus. Economy is very important, of course- but do you think that we can prevent the Xenoi fleets from destroying us by throwing gold at them?
Of course, an Economical reform in due time is needed, but currently I believe that it would just not be effective. Our treasury is in a dire state, but we must reform the Navy else in the next war the Xenoi will attack even the Queen of Cities! Reforming the Navy is most urgent.
I would also warn you from all of your Administrative and Economical reforms- in a measured amount, they are needed and effective. However, overstretching the rope will be dire- if we continue to throw a reform after a reform on our Administration... it can become for the bad and not for the good. The Navy of the Imperium whas long been neglected and we cannot continue to neglect it lest we fall too much behind the Xenoi's accursed navy to ever close the gap. I call to you, honorable unaffiliated Senators, to not support this scheme and instead support the Emperor's proposed reform.
My friend Senator Raoul, I would like to warn you- Diabolo's favorite sin is the Hubris. Beware.
Now, about your proposal to become the leader of the Blue demes. I must admit that I fear you're not your grandfather- Hadrianos was like a family member to me, he was very close to my father Anastasios. He would never say such proud words.
However, our families are close allies and I would not like to harm this alliance.
I would like to propose this- a rotation between us as leaders of our demes.
I had the dubious fortune to be born to my father when he was already 38 years old. I lost my older brother, Kalistos, who was murdered by the Xenoi beasts during the 2nd battle of the Gulf of Almeria as a Navy officer. After his death, I became the heir to the family. I am now 64 years old and much older than you. I propose that I will be elected as the Blue Demes leader today, and you or your successor will have the honor next term. What do you say?

Last edited:
Senator Christoforo Colombo: (Unaffiliated)(for now, look at end)

*Christoforo, the only begotten son of the Great, or Heretic, Domenico Colombo, rises.

Much has changed over the 50-odd years since Domenico came to the Senate. Christoforo was younger then, foolish, naive, and.. heretical. But no one need know of that here. He had always thought it funny that his father, a conservative to the bone by his death, was accused, but he himself had gotten away with much more than an offhand comment on a fellow Senator.

But those days were over. Christoforo's Socotran wife had died in childbirth, and Christoforo swore that he would never find love again. To escape depression, Domenico sought to bury his feelings overseas. He spent years on the expeditions to India and Somalia, yet never found what he was looking for. Sure, there were jewels and spices in Sri Lanka, but the people knew nothing of the true word of God, and knew of no practitioners currently active. Christoforo began to lose hope, as anger slowly built inside of him.

20 Years ago, he snapped. He returned to his quarters in Socotra and Alexandria and burned everything in his libraries. The ancient classics, written by heathens. The heretical tomes of Nestor, the false prophet. The maps and reports of a christianized east, and all artifacts relevant to these things. The only things spared were religious writings by true Christians. For the past twenty years, Christoforo has been an ascetic, focused on the veneration of St. Markos, and the preservation of religious purity in Imperial Policy. Ancient, but still limber from years at sea, Christoforo rises.*

All of you are fools. There is naught but heresy and heathens beyond the known world, and more expeditions will do nothing but confirm that. And add yet more debt to the Imperial Treasury. The Imperium faces threats within and without, we do not need other potential threats to know of our existence. Would the Xenoi have known to come East if the blasted Odin-Worshipers had not poked the sleeping giant 500 years ago?
{No to more expeditions}

Our finances are strained by the interest we are bound to repay to the Pisan, Jewish bankers. They are loathsome creatures, and if we do not regain control over our economy, we are doomed. I am aware that times have changed, and we can no longer just kick them out of the Imperium, but that only means that we have no choice but to reform our economy. Without proper funding, all will suffer, and most severely the Holy Church.
{Supports Economic Ideas}

On the subject of the military, I am ASTOUNDED AND OUTRAGED that ANY senator would support COPYING FROM THE XENOI. The Xenoi are agents of the devil, therefore all things they create are the devil's work. Do we copy Satan? Do we take holidays from the German Pagans are make them our own? NO. The Imperium must be kept clean of heathen creations at all costs, regardless of how effective they are at killing God's true faithful.
{Against switching focus from admin to military}

The Ceylonese are heathens, and will not bend the knee to a Christian power in peace. If we do force them to be our vassals, they must accept Christ into their hearts as well.
{Conditionally supports vassalizing Ceylon}

A new provincial taxation system is in great need. Many of our churches have fallen into disrepair, if we were to raise the taxes on the wealthy, we could certainly help preserve these important places.

May God help you all...

*Christoforo Colombo has joined the WHITE Demes.*
*Sits back down*

{WILDCARD, BITCHES!}

Senator Mahdi ibn Tarek Rashid (unaffiliated)
* A short, balding, somewhat pudgy manstands up and nervously shuffles a stack of yellowed, old parchment. He is dressed in modest robes of thin wool, and wears an embroidered pale skullcap. If it weren't for the insignia of the Imperial Senate on his chest, one might mistake him for one of the eunuchs. He has dark circles under his eyes-understandable, as the Archon of one of the wealthiest trade ports in the Mediterranean would have quite a lot of work on his plate. *
Salaam, my fellow senators. Many of you may not know me, for I am new to this collection. I am Mahdi ibn Tarek Rahid, Archon of Rashid and Second of his Name. It has been a commendable experience watching so many talented debators take the floor.

For Senator Melissenos' proposal, I agree wholeheartedly. In the wake of the Eternal Wars, the Emperor, blessed be his name, has ruled over an increasingly unstable realm. We should have a strong navy, of course, but the importance of stability and inward strength is nigh-unquestionable.
{{I support the Administrative focus option that was proposed}}

However, naval reform is also of high importance. These.... defeats on the Mare Nostrum are our wake-up call: our new, reformed, and powerful Navy will truly be our wooden wall against the enemies of the Faith, so I support all measures that the Emperor has proposed regarding the reform of the Imperial Navy.
Senator Diaver Kastelos (Blue Demes):
"Imagine if we could "modernize" the Imperial Dromons, think what a mere merchant fleet did. I can assure you, the coast of Italy wouldn't have been sacked, our women rapped and their children killed, and our armies could reforce the defenses to expell the those beasts out of our limes."
As for Kastelos' proposal, I support it as well, but remember that those who use Shaitan's tools without great care become by degrees his tool.
{{I support the addition of Maritime Ideas}}

As for matters regarding the great Eastern Sea, I have mixed opinions. I believe that we should embark upon a second expedition to the East, in search of rich trade ports and possibly new allies. It is said in my family that our ancestor Faisal ibn Ja'far, peace be upon him, made a voyage to the east by boat and caravan and supposedly discovered many new lands. Sadly, what he saw changed him and he came back a broken man, unable to tell his story. However, I believe that he did go east, as he came back with many exotic spices and coins engraved with languages no one in Rosetta had ever seen before, so I have faith in an expedition to the East to secure more knowledge and wealth for the good of the Empire. With regards to Ceylon, however, we may wake a beast greater than the Sons of TImur or the Ilkhans if we attempt to meddle in the affairs of places we know nothing about. We should not take Ceylon under our protection until we know more about the surrounding environs.

{{I support the expedition, but do not support the vassalization mission}}

As for Aquitane, I believe that it is in our best interests to take it under our protection. We call ourselves the rulers of all true Christians, and let us live up to that glorious title.
{{I support the Vassalization of Aquitane}}

Thank you very much, fellow senators. It has been an honor speaking here with you today.

do you think that we can prevent the Xenoi fleets from destroying us by throwing gold at them?

Their fleets cannot do a thing if they cannot resupply themselves on land, where our fearsome legions will destroy them wherever they are found. And as I said before, once the financial situation of the Imperium is improved the proper reconstruction of the battle fleet will begin. The Queen of cities is safe as well, no one has ever managed to break its holy walls, nor will anyone ever be able to! The Angeloi protect!

*Since a part of the blues is apparently unwilling to see the error of their untimely reconstruction plan, Junius sits back down again.*

{{I am not sure how I should react to the new Colombo. He is a witch-hunting maniac, against any form of cooperation and devoid of anything but religious fanaticism. Maybe he will just go away or stay silent if we ignore him? :D }}

Their fleets cannot do a thing if they cannot resupply themselves on land, where our fearsome legions will destroy them wherever they are found. And as I said before, once the financial situation of the Imperium is improved the proper reconstruction of the battle fleet will begin. The Queen of cities is safe as well, no one has ever managed to break its holy walls, nor will anyone ever be able to! The Angeloi protect!

*Since a part of the blues is apparently unwilling to see the error of their untimely reconstruction plan, Junius sits back down again.*

{{I am not sure how I should react to the new Colombo. He is a witch-hunting maniac, against any form of cooperation and devoid of anything but religious fanaticism. Maybe he will just go away or stay silent if we ignore him? :D }}

{I may brand YOU a witch if you don't respect your elders, young man. I'm the oldest geezer here. Back in my day, we used to hang people for swearing too loudly in the Senate..}

{It made little sense for two characters in a row to be heretics, and Christoforo has gone his whole life failing to find what he wanted, what he believed in. I'd go insane too if it happened to me. I do find it fucking hilarious that Christopher Columbus hates the idea of even leaving the confines of the Imperium though. This is the last of the direct line of the Colombos, if I do decide to keep the dynasty alive it'll be through the line of that idiot uncle of Domenico's. I may just want a fresh start though.}

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (The Blues)

*Inside himself, Titos smiles. Movement. It was clear, that the senate was divided today like it was in the days of his grandfather, but there was at least the hint that the institution was useful. For one thing or the other. Outward smiling he nods towards those, who support his economic proposal. Wasn't it great, that others, with their rejection of the navy, had given the opening through witch it was made? Indeed, there was much use in this senate...
He rises from his seat and turns toward toward Colombo.*

I understand your... lets call it rejection of those, who are lending money to the empire for I to have read the holy scripture. But isn't it a fact that without them, the empire would not have been able to pay it's soldiers and mercenaries? So we made use of this instrument to the benefit of the empire and using the enemies weapons would not be different from that. Of course this has to be a closely monitored process, by military men and clerics alike. But the question is: Is a tool itself evil, even when used in a pious way as the empire would do?

Senator Alexandros Raoul

I find amusing the fact that you honorable members of this venerable institution speak of economy to refuse to rebuild the Navy. If our armies had been circled in the steppes and forever lost, I'm sure everybody would have stood up and ask for an immediate mobilization of new recruits and new loans to fund it. But now, when one of the pillars of our defences, the Navy is destroyed, you ask for its complete removal. I see nothing but ignorance and bias here.

Honorable Salamis, I count you as one of the best here in this assembly that is filled with ignorants and bigots
*look at Senator Colombo* and I don't see why you are accusing me of hubrys, I merely state what I think is right.
{{ Your post really makes me think of a godfather considering the Demes as his own but my character as the same mindstate so I can't really criticize it :p }}

Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

I am happy to hear so many Senators involved in the discussion. My father often told me that the Session was usually run by only a handful of Senators. As for the discussion itself... Many of you have raised excellent points about our current economical situation. I see much to be gained from both trade and economic reforms... except that if we are to consider trade, I believe we should improve the navy first, as ships are obviously necessary. We don't want all of our ships to be attacked by Xenoi raiders, no?

Senator Serapis, the Imperium focusing on economic reforms would be most beneficial to the White Demes. As of now, there are two members, and you seem the most... reliant of the two. Would you like to make an agreement with the Blue Demes, who already has the support of some of the unaffiliated Senators? Perhaps you could support our naval reforms, and in the future the Blue Demes willl gladly support economic reforms.

Now, to those who say we should not bring Ceylon into the fold.... You claim they are heathens. You claim they will not be loyal to the Imperium due to distance. What do we know of Ceylon? They could be innocent people looking for guidance. As their protectors, they could learn from us. We could uplift them.

*Marcus turns to his fellow Blue Demes.*
Can we not argue like children over who will lead us? The man most qualified will lead, simple as that.

Last edited:
Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue demes):
*Antiochos slowly claps when Christoforo finishes his speech*
Congratulations, Senator Colombo. You just managed to be an even more of a mindless fanatic than the previous Senator Serapis ever was.
I do not even see the need to address your points- you'd rather throw the Imperium into the sea than use the enemies devices against him.
Senator Junius, will the holy walls of our city withstand an attack by those cannons of the Xenoi? I am not sure. We must swiftly reform our navy and equip it with these fire weapons used by the Xenoi, for if we will not the next war against the Xenoi will be even more disasterous. Please, honorable unaffiiliated Senators, reconsider- the Emperor wouldn't support a Naval reform if he wouldn't think it best for the Imperium. And Senator Melissenos, my friend, please re-think too. We have to be united as a Demes, and you know just as well as I that the Navy was neglected for a very long amount of time- a very dangerous amount of time.
As the Senate is completly devided, I would like to continue my father's tradition and support the deal proposed by Senator Arrius- you, Senators Junius, Melissenos, and maby some more who would join the deal or your successors will vote for a Naval reform, and next time we or our successors and at least a few Senators from the blue demes will vote for an Economoc reform, or any reform you suggest.
*Only inside the Blue demes*
{{Btw, I consider all of my Senator's conversations with members of the blue demes to be done inside the demes as it doesn't make sense to bicker for leadership in speeches for the whole Senatr, so I'll be mentioning it now}}
Senator Raoul, seeing yourself as a superior is indeed Hubrys. However, I do not wish to sour the great alliance between our houses, and surely not upset my sister who, if I'm not mistaken, is your mother {{is she? She was married to this angry son of Hadrianos if I remember right}}. I would only like to warn you of further hubryd words lest the other Senators would think ill about the blue demes. What do you say about the deal I proposed?

{{It's really entertaining- Senators Hadrianos and Anastasios were the greatest friends, and now their successors try to uphold the alliance and still get their goals. I see Antiochos as the sly ambitious kind unlike his humble father, but he may agree to back off for the sake of the alliance.}}

Last edited:
Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (The Blues)

And who would that be, Senator Arrius?

Senator Alexandros Raoul

My apologies, senators if I may look ambitious but I merely want to protect the Imperium from madmen and bigots. I am not against Reforms of the Economy ; I merely think that the Xenoi fleets are more threatening than our inflation. Arrius is right, it is not the time, we will see that later gentlemen. I shall refrain to speak now and I will await the wise servant and honorable guest of the Senate.

{{ as per your question Parrot, well the characters are not directly related since he is the son of Leontios (last son) and a Hvide woman. But I think the ties of our families are still strong :p }}

Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

*Marcus whispers to Melissenos.*
We will see who can lead us. I just do not wish to see our Faction divided over who will lead when we need to be persuading the unaffiliated, the sane White Deme, and hopefully some Red Demes to work with us. I had considered trying to become the leader of us, but that would only cause more strife. Another time, perhaps.

Last edited: