• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Are other factions allowed to award titles to people in other factions, as a means to bribe them to vote with them or switch factions? Fellow Blue Demes, I am not planning on switching, just curious.}}

[size=+1]Senator Konstantinos Moustakas[/size]

Senator Colombo is an egoist whose ambition knows no bounds. Privately, he cackles to himself about the control he thinks he wields over the Senate. If we do not check him, he will probably use the Senate as a springboard to capture the throne and name himself Basileus. Colombo is a power-hungry hack who holds no original ideas of his own. Why else would he copy my ideas to improve the quantity of the tagmata and take the credit for them? Furthermore, he is not even a proper soldier. He is a "reformed" merchant who hopes to turn the proud Red Demes into a lackey of the Pisan Blues so he can increase his power.

What further proof do we need than Colombo's refusal to distribute the titles our Augustus so wisely handed to our faction? He fears crediting the other members of our faction so he can hoard all the glory and wealth for himself. He waits for us to line up like meek sycophants so we can beg for the titles on our hands and knees. But we shall not comply! We shall not let Colombo become a dictator. Down with the false Caesar!

*Konstantinos shakes his fist angrily at the False Caesar*

{{I was planning on playing nice, but you've just gone and blown it m8. Why can't we have a nice election for once?}}

Senator Domenico Colombo:

One does wonder if Konstantinos has lost his hearing. Did he not hear my proposition that Pisa be the next target of a war after the Timurids? Even after six years, he still suspects me of being a collaborator with the Blues, despite giving them nothing, and taking away their ill-gotten influence in the Imperial Court. I must admit, I was foolish younger man with delusions about realms outside the known world once, but times change. I have changed. But Moustakas has not. The Blues are in full support of our policies, there is no evidence any of them are in league with the Pisans.

If I am Caesar, he is Brutus. A man afraid of progress and the future, a man afraid of Imperial rule, a man who would be seen in history as the very name of deciet and treachery. This Brutus accuses me of wanting the seat of Emperor for myself; such claims are laughable! Nobody, save the Angelos, are fit to rule the Imperium. In addition to be laughable in their accuracy, such claims are bordering on disrespectful to the Emperor himself. Of all Senators, I have forged the closest relationship with our Emperor, and to think he would allow someone who didn't have his best interests at hand so close to him is... near heresy. If Moustakas wants to be a soldier so much, he should volunteer to the front lines of the upcoming war, and see how much of an impact he will have. It is the soft power, the word spoken at feasts, the obligation of others to carry out favors, that will serve the Reds best.

Oh, and if Moustakas thinks I care about honorary titles...

*Senator Domenico Colombo grants the title of Mandator of the Great Palace to Senator Konstantinos Moustakas*

There you are, Mandator. You want such honors? You shall get them. They mean nothing to me. I am no Caesar, but you aspire to be. Why else would you seek to undermine a successful system I have set up? You are not worthy, yet you shall receive, because I have determined so. Wear this crown of thorns, King of the Senate.

*Domenico shouts 'Hail, King of the Senate!'*

{{If anyone doesn't catch it, this is a reference to the Romans mocking Jesus by giving him a crown of thorns befitting the King of the Jews. Obviously, in this case, words were changed. And Konstantinos is certainly no Jesus, and Domenico no Pilate. Just thought I'd use my own historical analogy to match my opponents. This is probably as close to 'get rekt' as is possible in the 15th century.}}

Last edited:
{{Oh it will truly be a sad day when Konstantinos and Domenico finally kick the bucket and the senate will be far more boring without them, though at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we had a blood feud between families that could go on for centuries. Imagine both of them on their death beds, their last words reminding their children to never trust anyone from the other family.
Either that or we'll be back here in a hundred years and Moustakas and Colombo will be close allies and friends.}}

{{If anyone doesn't catch it, this is a reference to the Romans mocking Jesus by giving him a crown of thorns befitting the King of the Jews. Obviously, in this case, words were changed. And Konstantinos is certainly no Jesus, and Domenico no Pilate. Just thought I'd use my own historical analogy to match my opponents. This is probably as close to 'get rekt' as is possible in the 15th century.}}

{{This is just awesome.}}

{{Oh it will truly be a sad day when Konstantinos and Domenico finally kick the bucket and the senate will be far more boring without them, though at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we had a blood feud between families that could go on for centuries. Imagine both of them on their death beds, their last words reminding their children to never trust anyone from the other family.
Either that or we'll be back here in a hundred years and Moustakas and Colombo will be close allies and friends.}}

{{There will be more to replace them, I figure my next guy will be louder and less reasonable, it seems more fun that way}}

Senator Alexios Batavos

I will support you, senator Colombo, in the coming election as your only opponent seems to be a madman who argues for no reason as the differences between your plans are quite insignificant. It is obvious his only goal is the control of our faction, not it's or the Imperium's prosperity.

Senator Georgios Tsoukalos:

{{Georgios has been listening to the others bickering, as usual. Six years of turmoil have made him into a much more calculating man, and the stress of raising two young children in what can only be described as the Imperial Backwaters has taken its toll, with the senator's hair beginning to grey. Nevertheless, he steps up to announce his vote.}}

Honorable Senator Raoul, while I despise the years of bloodshed that have passed, I believe that the Christians suffering under the yoke of Timur's Iron Khanate must be freed. The ancient province of Aegyptus has been wrenched away from us, and I concur that the matter must be resolved with utmost speed. As for the Reich, while they are traitors, are their lands of any value to us? We could simply let the xenoi put the Bavarian heretics, or what is left of them, in their places. Imperial provinces first!

{{Georgios goes back to his chair, listening to every speech.}}

{{There will be more to replace them, I figure my next guy will be louder and less reasonable, it seems more fun that way}}
{{ I fully expect the next Senate Session to look like this:

[video=youtube_share;RdE5fvX9FdA]http://youtu.be/RdE5fvX9FdA[/video]

BTW, glorious argument between Red candidates! :) }}

Last edited:
*Senator Helios speaks with a mild Armenian accent* My fellow senators, in these past years we have been doing nothing but war. It was necessary, and I fully supported it. Now we stand again on the doorstep of war, this time for Aegyptus. Again, we need it: not only to liberate the good christians and Romans under Timurid oppression, but too to have a strong naval base ready to set out to the east.
However, I do not see why senator Raoul would want to attack the Germans: after all, are they not Orthodox too, and why should we attack them and not the furasteri or the monghols first? Should we not first attack the infidels rather than, while usurpers, christians? and how, I ask you, would this benefit the Blue Demes in any way? We already know of their lands, and there is nothing to trade or explore.
However, if after reconquering Aegyptus we send an expedition to the east instead, this would wholly benefit us: it would lead to both trade and exploration, the main concern of our Demes. This is why I propose you vote for me: instead of fighting pointless wars with the Germans, we will benefit our Demes and the Kaysrut- Impera- the Imparium.

Senator Hadrianos Raoul

It seems that my reasons have been misunderstood, senator Helios. I will not ask you to stop your candidature but I am sorry you don't trust me to represent our interests again. But first I'd like to point something that people in my Demes seem to have forgotten. Our time is not a time of peace and security, ours is full of war and threats to the very existence of the Imperium. We will not see the time of exploration beyond our borders, my friends, for our purpose here on Earth at this very time is to secure these borders. I hope my sons will embark on the same dreams than I dreamt of in my youth. I don't forget I was an advocator of exploration during the last session. But since the Imperium has dedicated itself to war, so must we. Thus we will never amount a lot in this time I regret, for what we long for is peace, which allow diplomacy, trade and exploration. But if we embrace the path of war in our own way, not being led by the other leaders, we can influence the course of the Empire. It is my hope, and I trust you will share this vision of mine.

What I propose is simple :
First as all people in the Senate have agreed, we must conquer Aegyptus and bring its population into the fabric of the Empire. Without it, exploration and trade toward India are dead.
Second, I propose that we begin turning our eye to the West, toward the Christian realms that remain independant. The German people are mislead, that's for sure. They follow the rite of the Holy Church but are led by a fool pretending to be the equal of the Angeloi. Thus he can't be allowed to live in our dream of Pax Christiana. We should start enabling contracts, surveying these lands to have them prepared to be integrated when the time comes. I never said that we must go to war with the Reich, but we must take any opportunity that arises. What interest is there in Germany some people ask ? Well, they were part of the Imperium of old, are inhabited by Christian people and are threatened by the Pisan and Xenoi. It is our duty to protect them !
The same goes for Aquitaine. I add to my propositions that we ally ourselves with Aquitaine. Due to their fragility and weakness, they could easily be integrated by diplomatic means in the Empire. But they could allow us to attack the Pisans without their demonic overlord intervening. Xenoi have assured them that they will protect them in exchange for slaves and gold. But what the Xenoi value most is strongness. If Pisan were to attack Aquitaine and lose, the Westerners will not intervene. Thus we could have a choice between surely ally them or protect them nominally.

It is what I think is just, honourable friends and I hope you will follow me in this task. And my gratitude to the friends that already support me.

Last edited:
{{ Ahem.
Remember to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
- [ b ][ size=+1 ]Senator <name>:[ /b ][ /size ]

I'm giving you a warning. Please don't ignore the rules.[/quote]

[SIZE=+1]Helios IV Eliasian:[/SIZE]
While the Germans are traitors, they still believe in our Lord Iesous Kristos. Why should we attack them and not furasteri, monghols or Timurids?
And in your speech, I do not see anyhting that will help our Demes.

{{ I fully expect the next Senate Session to look like this:

[video=youtube_share;RdE5fvX9FdA]http://youtu.be/RdE5fvX9FdA[/video]

BTW, glorious argument between Red candidates! :) }}

[size=+1] Senator Nicholaus II:[/size]
{{There's no feud like a blood feud. And why do you think I went radical? I figure we're all going to be frothing-at-the-mouth zealots in the end.}}

Senator Moustakas, I demand you check your heretical remarks! To accuse our faction's leader of seeking the Imperial Throne, all for the sake of petty factionalism... this is precisely the sort of poisonous strife that is most destructive to our empire. I would not have expected it even from the Blue Demes, let alone a man of your standing or character!
I must therefore support Domenico Colombo.

All Christendom, indeed all Europe, must bow to the Emperor. The German Heretics, and the peoples of Aquitaine, and even the distant British Isles, all should be brought into the light of Rome as soon as possible. To stand by and let them fall to the Xenoi is to allow our enemies to grow stronger, and condemn heretics- the souls most in need of the saving grace of our Basilius and His Church- to the soulless Xenoi and their dark, heathen gods. They must be annexed and brought within the flock forthwith.

Senator Septimark Wedrovander:
I must say the terrible twosome have show their true faces and fittingly turned against themselves. I think that some other candidate, should he enter the field, would be able to leverage great advantage. That said there has been quite some discussion about the... heretics of the pope. As my family was once apart of that vile heresy I can honestly say that your concerns for their souls while noble forget that they have had ample opportunity to change and come to the true faith. Why don't they change? Because of pride and selfish delusions of power and belonging. The orthodox faith is recognized as the Empire's faith and to join is to admit that the empire is right and the Angelnoi are powerful and deserve respect. The best way to deny that? Pretend that there is a split in Christianity. Therefore the realms of catholic powers are not only delusional and subversive. They use their strength to fight us politically and spiritually therefore they are not innocent. I say these realms must be scrounged and brought to the true faith. On the subject of helping orthodox leaders. I only approve of helping Poland due to it's relative strength, but as for Accquitane it is doomed and an alliance would be foolhardy.

[SIZE=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos[/SIZE]

*Lazaros is looking in the round of the senate, following the heated discussions and verbal comparisons of a certain body part. 'That's the way the audience in the old roman colosseum must have felt.', he thinks and feels a craving for some snacks and a goblet of wine. Looking from senator Colombo to senator Moustakas he adds in his mind: 'It's definitely more funny than a performance in the theater.*

While the Germans are traitors, they still believe in our Lord Iesous Kristos. Why should we attack them and not furasteri, monghols or Timurids?
And in your speech, I do not see anyhting that will help our Demes.
Senator Hadrianos Raoul
Senator Eliasian do you want me to repeat myself ? It seems you have a hard time to understand what I am saying.
The Timurids we are striking them in the year to come.
We still have a truce with the Horde and it is not a war that will be won easily despite what you think.
And Xenoi, do I have to point out why we can't ? If we can't beat the Horde, we can't hope destroying the Xenoi swarms which would soon invade the Empire and ruin all the efforts our ancestors made !

*On an arrogant tone * And how your propositions will benefit more the Blues than mine ? Let us listen to your reasons for I think I have enough explained mine

{{ You want me to defend my steak ? Then I will ! :p }}

*on even more arrogant tone* I do not see how you fail to understand how exploration, one of our Demes' goals, fails to benefit the Blue Demes more than wars.

[SIZE=+1]Senator Anastasios VI Salamis:[/SIZE]
*Anastasios sits silently. He would like to help his friend, Hadrianos, but he is tore between his lifelong ambition which has to involve exploration, and his friendship with Hadrianos.
He almost opens his mouth to tell Senator Eliasin that the blue demes are not the only ones which should benefit, but also the Imperium- which, he knew, would do wisely if it didn't begun exploration now.
Almost. A war is going on, and not only in the Imperium but also in the mind of Anastasios.
"I must support Hadrianos in this argument... He is not only a friend, he is also right. But... what if Helios wins and the Imperium sends a ship to colonize a faraway land? I would finaly be able to fulfill my ambition!
I... No! I can't betray my friend and the Imperium! My ambition is not the most important thing on earth... I must strive to help the Imperium as a top priority!
And Hadrianos, he will feel betrayed if I... No, what am I thinking?! I can't support this Helios openly! I can't! Hadrianos is right, exploration is unwise now... My years in Constantinople taught me that... I must talk, support not only Hadrianos but the good of the Imperium! I must...*
*Anastasios clenches his teeths and remains silent.*
"If I see that my friend is starting to have problems, I will help him against this Armenian. But until then... I can't talk. I just can't, not after all those years of dreaming about leading a colony..."