• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*Domenico Colombo stands up. In thinking while sitting in his seat the head of the Reds section, he has come to realize how little of his fate lies in his hands. The Whites tempt greedy Senators with meaningless titles, and if they gain yet more titles, and the Reds do not, both he and the Reds could find themselves in a position of great weakness. Domenico dislikes this concept of titles; he was brought up knowing that true power is not in what you are called, but what you own and control. Domenico also has a sudden realization that this war may be the end of his political career. If the Imperium fails, the reforms have failed, and as the Imperium falls, so will he. He perks himself up with the thought that a huge victory will most likely see him soar back to re-election on a tide of goodwill. Hopefully.*

Senator Domenico Colombo:

On behalf of the Red Demes, I do not offer any amendments to the proposals before us. I have heard my faction loud and clear; we must put the material success of the Imperium first and foremost. Provided that Hadrianos does not propose an amendment, I would say that this debate is more or less over. All factions more or less agree on these issues, as they are currently able to be altered. I would prefer that the less time the Whites have poison my colleagues' ears is the better.

I would like to remind my faction members that loyalty will be rewarded, while treachery will not be.

*Domenico returns to his seat to await the next announcement from Maximos Kommenos*

[size=+1]Senator Nicholaus II:[/size]

[SIZE=+1]Senator Theophilus Rhadenos[/SIZE]

Fellow Senators,

It is clear that the... setback that we suffered in the lands of Taurica can only be interpreted as a sign from God to punish us for the recent lack of Faith that has plagued the Empire. It is sufficient to remember that the Most Sacred Chapel of Theotokos has been savagely plundered by heathens only a few months ago and that the works to restore it to Her former glory (financed by the House of Rhadenos and the Whites, let all remember) are still under way to see how lowly has fallen the respect for the One True Faith! Had we enforced a stronger union between the Holy Church and the Imperium those blasphemies and such a military defeat would have never happened.

But let us not waste time grieving on the past, let us instead concentrate on the Future!
The Emperor, in his unlimited Wisdom, commands a further strengthening of our Military Forces, the Whites therefore can only stand beside His Will and shall support His rightful demands. The Military reforms we started six years ago are not yet completed and if we want to take back Taurica and other rightful Imperial lands then we MUST complete these reforms as soon as possible, once we will have done this then you will see that within a lifetime we will have thrown the horse-lords and their slaves beyond the Ural Mountains that spawned them!

Now, on the matter of Egypt, I say to not waste any more time and drive the Shiite Pagans back to their hellish wasteland of Arabia, to venerate their Demons and false prophets and never return! The reconquest of Egypt must not be delayed any longer, let us send all of our forces to this Holy quest, let us take back our bread basket and secure our borders in the East once and for all! Then we shall be free to concentrate on the threat of the beastly Xenoi...

And at last, there has been a lot of talking about Slavery.
To enslave fellow Christians is indeed a terrible sin, for Christ came to free all men and put them under the ever-shining Light of the Lord, forever ending their spiritual bondage to Demons and false idols. Therefore it is illegal and punishable by death to enslave the free peoples of Christianity, whose spiritual freedom allow them to recognize the natural hierarchy of the Universe and willingly submit before the Emperor and all Christian authorities as loyal subjects of the Imperium.

But of course it is no sin to enslave someone who is already a slave: the barbarians and the heretics are unable to behave themselves properly, like children they are enslaved to their own basic instincts and are doomed to the fiery pits of Hell if left on their own, it is therefore not only legally allowed, but also a moral duty of all Christians, to enslave all those who live beyond the limes of proper Christianity.

With a Christian master the poor unfortunate souls of the heretics and the barbarians, who have rejected the Truth of Christ, have one last chance for salvation. They are rightfully forced to embrace the True Faith, for their own good, and are taught to behave like Christians by their pious masters. They work in the caves and in the camps for the betterment of Christianity and sustain the nation of God, even if not willing. Through harsh work and benevolent punishment they are purged from their sins and pay for their blasphemies. So, once they die after a life of suffering and forced labor their Souls will have earned their place in Heaven, completely purified from their old villainy and pure in the eyes of God.
And all of this only thanks to us pious Christians and slave masters, we are helping those people to ascend!

So remember, fellow Senators, that through Slavery we are selflessly helping countless of otherwise lost Souls! Remember that our slaves must always be grateful for the precious opportunity we gave them when we captured them, that through forced conversion we give them Eternal Salvation and that through harsh punishment they gain Expiation from their sins.
Slavery therefore is indeed a merciful institution, that does good to the Souls of both the benevolent master and the repenting slave! It is something that should be expanded as much as possibles through all of the Imperium and therefore the Whites shall support the temporary exemption from Taxation proposed by the Enlightened Emperor, may He rule long and Piously.

Now, for Xenoi...
They are not slaves, for the same reason cattle and sheep are not slaves. When they are concerned no moral question arise and all are free to do what they desire with them. Except of course sympathize with them, which is the worst of Heresies...

- Theophilus Rhadenos,
Metropolitan Bishop of Tiberias

((I hope that I didn't went overboard with the rant on Slavery.

Anyway people, remember that the Whites can reward any newcomers with juicy titles, four of them! Being a Fanatic is Fun, try it you too! ;)))
{{I was picturing him as a libertine renaissance dandy- were it not for the Pisan blood feud and aristocratic snobbishness he might have been somewhat sympathetic to the Blues actually. He found the Jesus killing Mongols and decided to repent the errors of his sinful ways, because such was too interesting to pass up.:p That said he's sticking with the Reds for now, so long as they don't make a deal with the filthy merchants...
I'm considering killing him off in glorious battle as it seems just the sort of thing to do. I've got an idea for his successor.
}}
The emperor in his wisdom pointed us to a reform of the administration, and though the army reforms were much needed they were insufficient to save Crimea. I will not make this mistake again, and will follow the Basilius' will and wisdom as is proper for all sons of Rome.

Senator Hadrianos Raoul

*Hadrianos rises and begins his speak. The six years have not marked him too much but the birth of three sons has strenghtened his convictions but also awayed of his youth ideals*
Dear Senators, honourable friends, it has been a long time since we assembled here for the first resolution in favour of our tagmata, which has proved to be helpful during the wars against the barbarous steppe warriors. We have all changed and I did not recognize some of you at first sight. I’ve been in contact with many of you during these dire years ; I remember the estates built in the Danish style by the honourable house Hvide near the mouth of the Danube, the delicacy of the wine of the estates of the house Melissenos, the hospitality of the Salamis during this tempest in the Aegean Sea …. But I know that these years were harsh on many of you, especially to the Taurinus, who I support in their losses.

Before giving my advice on the resolutions, I shall announce that I give the title of Silentarios of the Great Palace to Anastasios Salamis, a dear friend who has always helped me in this very chamber but who suffer from vile rumours and this since many generations. I hope that the vipers spreading these lies shall respect this title bestowed upon him by the Emperor with my advice.

I did not support the Military Reform, six years ago, but I have seen the benefits of it during the war against the Horde. Thus I will support the resolution in favour of pursuing the reforms to increase the Imperial Army.
As everybody in this sacred room *Hadrianos looks on the wall behind him where an icon of St-Markos was placed during the renovation of the Imperial Palace* I support the reconquest of Aegyptus by the Imperial Armies. The Shia heathens are a threat to the Holy Places, to our Trade, to our Grain supplies and to all Imperium. Let us fight now, while they are weakened by their adventures in the East ! If the need arises, we could hire mercenaries for the time of the war, sparing the life of the proper soldiers of the Imperium.

The matter of slavery has been debated a lot today. Senators Columbo and Rhadenos have been very persuasive in their own way, but I can’t agree with any. I agree with Senator Columbo with the fact that we should try to evangelize the slaves. It shall be a duty to any masters in the Imperium. But hoping free them so easily ? I cannot agree.
The Romans of old offered to slaves the possibility to buy themselves and thus becoming free, but they could not be considered proper citizens until 2 generations. Even conquered people did not become Roman until the Emperors in their wisdom granted it to them, and so until the reign of Caracalla. Even religion cannot always be taken as a guarantee. We have seen it during the war with the Horde when proper Christian people rebelled against their Emperor. Thus two years is not long enough. If any of them fake his religion and then transmit it to his children, dissidence will only grow. It is a danger we can not afford. Thus I propose that we reinstall the status of eranos (freed slave according to Wikipedia) which their children will keep. If any eranoi revolt they go back to being a slave. But after two generations of faithful, they can become citizens of our glorious Empire.
On the resolution itself I support not to tax our noble traders for we are in a dire need of slaves with the policies undertaken by the Imperium. But I think this need of slaves could be easily reduced by a simple measure. Currently, any Xenoi taken as a slave is castrated. But as said by senator Rhadenos, Xenoi are mere cattle. Do we castrate all our cattle ? No for we would run dry of these animals soon. The same problem occurs with the Xenoi. Let us them respond to their bestial needs and multiply. It will be more future slaves to the mines, to our fields. And in the same time we should pass drastic laws to separate the parents from their seed to prevent servile wars.

Last edited:
So here is the amendment I propose upon the matter of slavery :
Codex Servi [/I]{{Slave's Code, yep my latin is far from being good :p }}
1. All slaves shall be instructed in the Holy Faith.
2. The Master has the right to free any of the slaves he finds worthy of.
3. A slave can buy his freedom with the money the Master may give him.
4. A freed slave becomes an eranos, and becomes a client of his old master.
5. Only grandchildren of the eranoi become free citizens of the Imperium.
6. The Eranoi who commit crimes will be enslaved.
7. These laws do not apply to the Xenoi slaves who can't be freed.
8. The law obligating slavers to castrate Xenoi shall be abrogated.
9. If any children is born from a Xenoi, he shall be sold by the master of its parents
{{Since the issue of taxation of slave tax is just a resolution and not a senatus consultum, you MAY NOT propose any amendments. The Emperor is just asking the Senate for an opinion, His Imperial Majesty doesn't want to pass a law concerning this matter.
{elections of Faction Leaders. Senate votes are where they will normally be, right?}
Yes, they will be held during voting during Senate Session. I'm afraid the answer is no however, since during voting you may only vote (not counting closing statement). Which, now when I'm thinking about it, means that Faction Leaders elections actually should take place NOW, during Second Senate Session - a very important thing I forgot to include in the announcement due to all this "save-not-working" business.

Sigh.

I guess I'll have to extend the scope of this Session then...}}

Last edited:
{{Since the issue of taxation of slave tax is just a resolution and not a senatus consultum, you MAY NOT propose any amendments. The Emperor is just asking the Senate for an opinion, His Imperial Majesty doesn't want to pass a law concerning this matter.}}

{{ Sad, I had made some work on it. I will read better next time :p
Could it be counted as another proposition ? We have the right to propose another amendments no ? (since it's more on slavery in general than on the specific matter
Do I erase it ? }}

{{Since the issue of taxation of slave tax is just a resolution and not a senatus consultum, you MAY NOT propose any amendments. The Emperor is just asking the Senate for an opinion, His Imperial Majesty doesn't want to pass a law concerning this matter.
Yes, they will be held during voting during Senate Session. I'm afraid the answer is no however, since during voting you may only vote (not counting closing statement). Which, now when I'm thinking about it, means that Faction Leaders elections actually should take place NOW, during Second Senate Session - a very important thing I forgot to include in the announcement due to all this "save-not-working" business.

Sigh.

I guess I'll have to extend the scope of this Session then...}}

:sad:

{{But, but, I need that feel good boost from winning the war! Ah well, at least I have bribery! I'm somewhat concerned that someone might take a title and run for it, that would be kind of a jerk thing to do. My plan was to give titles to people after they voted (for me of course). The problem being that someone could say they vote for me/a proposal and then not do it. Not that ANY OF THE HONORABLE GENTLEMEN WOULD EVER DO THAT. :p

I'll have to adjust. But of course, this assumes someone dares run against me, which, to be honest, is not the worst assumption one could make.}}

{{ Sad, I had made some work on it. I will read better next time :p
Could it be counted as another proposition ? We have the right to propose another amendments no ? (since it's more on slavery in general than on the specific matter
Do I erase it ? }}
{{ What means then "propose provisions not included in the bill" ? Coul you clarify it ? }}
{{When there is a bill introduced to the Senate by Emperor, Faction Leaders may propose amendments to it:
An amendment is a formal or official change made to a law, contract, constitution, or other legal document. It is based on the verb to amend, which means to change. Amendments can add, remove, or update parts of these agreements. They are often used when it is better to change the document than to write a new one.
The whole slavery issue was introduced as a question to the Senate, not a bill. So in this case there is no legal document to which you can make any changes
:sad:

{{But, but, I need that feel good boost from winning the war! Ah well, at least I have bribery! I'm somewhat concerned that someone might take a title and run for it, that would be kind of a jerk thing to do. My plan was to give titles to people after they voted (for me of course). The problem being that someone could say they vote for me/a proposal and then not do it. Not that ANY OF THE HONORABLE GENTLEMEN WOULD EVER DO THAT. :p

I'll have to adjust. But of course, this assumes someone dares run against me, which, to be honest, is not the worst assumption one could make.}}
As I said before test session, betrayal and backstabbing is highly encouraged ;) }}

{{ Sad the faction leaders can't propose any law even if it just for lore. I'll keep my Codex Servi up my computer then. It could be used later }}
{{I'm sure we will get back to this issue sooner or later.}}

((The "Codex on the Regulation of Slavery" will have to wait. :closedeyes:

All I wanted to do was to make this living hell of a setting we live in even more deplorable and depressive. :sad:
Why is the Human condition always trying to improve? WHY!?))

((The "Codex on the Regulation of Slavery" will have to wait. :closedeyes:

All I wanted to do was to make this living hell of a setting we live in even more deplorable and depressive. :sad:
Why is the Human condition always trying to improve? WHY!?))

{{ At first I wanted to talk about the "repopulation of rebellious provinces" but since everyone here writed walls of texts upon slavery I felt obligated to do the same :p }}

{{ At first I wanted to talk about the "repopulation of rebellious provinces" but since everyone here writed walls of texts upon slavery I felt obligated to do the same :p }}

{The rebellious provinces were in the Caucuses...

We'd be beating the RL Ottomans by 450 years by doing, well, 'cultural conversion'.}

[size=+2]SECOND SENATE SESSION - FACTION LEADER'S ELECTION[/SIZE]

fasFLmq.jpg

[size=+1]ALBUM SENATORIUM[/size]

NRIMPERIAL SENATORPLAYED BYSENATE FACTION
1.Hadrianos Raoul (Blue Leader)(Attalus)Blue Demes
2.Ioannes Kantakouzenos(MaskedPersonage)White Demes
3.Leontios Kastelos(Leandor)unaffiliated
4.Lazaros Melissenos(McGrey)Blue Demes
5.Theophilus Rhadenos (White Leader)(viola)White Demes
6.Septimark Wedrovander(Kingjerkera)unaffiliated
7.Anastasios VI Salamis(ParrotGuy)Blue Demes
8.Decius Taurinus (Ponce_The_Great)Red Demes
9.Konstantinos Moustakas(Andre Massena)Red Demes
10.Georgios Tsoukalos(Halocon720)Blue Demes
11.Leon Zvonimir(Paragonfilmgoat)Blue Demes
12.Juan Cortez(zqrfmb)Blue Demes
13.Nicholaus II d'Este-Ravenna(Undead Martyr)Red Demes
14.Domenico Columbo (Red Leader)(luciusmalfoy012)Red Demes
15.Michael Scipion(varetta)Red Demes
16.Zubinus V Jalius(alamking)Blue Demes
17.Alexzander Victorianous (KotoR45)unaffiliated
18.Alexander Ouranos(Blogman66)Blue Demes
19.Osgar Godric(Malal)Blue Demes
20.Alexios Batavos(LordSolar)Red Demes
21.Frederik V Hvide(Drucchi)Blue Demes
22.Leo Solomonid(scelestus13)Blue Demes
23.Helios IV Eliasian(eliaspays)Blue Demes
24.Gaius Arrius(TheAnguishedOne)Blue Demes

[size=+1]***[/size]
[size=+1]REVISED SCHEDULE (WARSAW TIME)[/size]
Opening of the Session11:00 PM 17th November (Monday)
DEBATE (3 DAYS)12:00 PM 17th November (Monday)
CANDIDATURES FOR FACTION LEADERS (1.5 DAY)11:00 AM 19th November (Wednesday)
Opening of the voting11:00 PM 20th November (Thursday)
VOTING (1 DAY)12:00 PM 20th November (Thursday)
Closing of the Session12:00 PM 21th November (Friday)
[size=+1]***[/size]

CANDIDATES FOR FACTION LEADERSHIP
If you want to announce your candidature you have to:
1. Use the following template:
„Senator <name> announces his candidature for Faction Leader of <COLOR> DEMES.”
2. Provide information about you (the player) using the following template:
Hours played in EU4: <number> hours
Following „This Is Madness I” since: chapter <number>
3. Provide information about your character (the Senator):
What Imperium should do before year 1460: <few sentences>
4. Make a short speach in which you lay down reasons for which other Senators should vote for you using this template:
Candidate speech: <speech>
5. After that you have to answer any questions other Senators ask you.
6. Current Faction Leaders may be re-elected for a second term (two Senate Sessions).

Example:

„Senator Exemplus Simplus announces his candidature for Faction Leader of DUMMY DEMES.”

Hours played in EU4: 9999 hours
Following „This Is Madness I” since: chapter 1
What Imperium should do before year 1460: Conquer the world. Destroy xenoi. Purge heretics.
Candidate speech: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum....

VOTING
1. Senators who are members of a Senate Faction (according to Album Senatorium in this post) MAY VOTE for a Faction Leader from their Faction.
2. Senators who didn't choose their Faction or are unaffiliated (according to Album Senatorium in this post) MAY NOT VOTE for a Faction Leader. They may however join the Faction during the debate and then vote.
3. Votes to be valid must be casted using the ballot. Ballots will be provided by President of the Senate before voting.
4. Faction Leaders elections will take place during Senate Session voting.

[size=+2]***[/size]​

I should have included this in the Second Senate Session announcement but - to be completely honest - I just forgot due to this whole "saves-are-not-working-my-AAR-is-doomed" thing. Sorry for the inconvenience, it won't happen again! You have to choose new Faction Leaders now since the rules say that they are elected for 2 Senate Sessions and therefore the elections have to take place before the Third Session begins.

Sorry once again!

((Pity, I was thinking about proposing my own thing on slavery.))
Your glorious "rant" has been noted ;)

Last edited:
Senator Theophilus Rhadenos announces his candidature for Faction Leader of White Demes.

Hours played in EU4: 146 hours
Following "This Is Madness I" since: more or less the end.

What Imperium should do before year 1460: Naturally reconquer Egypt, after that we should concentrate on military build-up and enhancing the internal administration to prepare ourselves to the next stages of expansion.

Candidate speech: White Demes, in the last six years I have led this faction with humbleness and dedication. All that I ask you today is to continue to support me and ensure that our small but influential presence in the Senate is not wasted. Under my continued leadership I will try to strengthen this influence so that we may serve more than ever as the trusted confidants of the One Emperor.

- Theophilus Rhadenos,
Metropolitan Bishop of Tiberias

Senator Hadrianos Raoul announces his candidature for Faction Leader of the Blue Demes

Hours played in EU4: 451 hours
Following "This Is Madness I" since: chapter 10 I think

What Imperium should do before year 1460 : The reconquest of Egypt must be the priority of the decade. I would also focus on preparing the reunion of the German principalities to the Imperium (fabricating claims on the states of the HRE)

Candidate speech :
Blue Demes, in the last years I have tried to unite the various positions among us, to weigh here and in the politics of the Imperium. Some people would say that I betrayed us by standing with the Reds but I acted for the good of the Imperium not for our own interests -even if the interests of the Imperium are ours, it just takes a little more time. But look what we achieved in the past few years, together ! We merchants, droungarios, explorers, we are advisers of the Emperor, even if our opponents still despise us. I promise to listen to all of you as I have done before, I'll be for sure the candidate that divides us the less, and I sincerely hope you will trust me for the years to come.

-Hadrianos Raoul

Last edited:
Senator Konstantinos Moustakas announces his candidature for Faction Leader of Red Demes.

Hours played in EU4: 101 hours
Following "This Is Madness I" since: Chapter 9

What Imperium should do before year 1460: Reconquer Aegyptus first. After that is finished, wait for our mp to replenish. Then take on the Xenoi for the rest of North Africa.

Candidate speech:

Some years ago I advised our Basileus to adopt measures to increase the quantity of our levies. After much grumbling this request was finally approved by most of the senators here and adopted by our glorious Basileus. We have of course seen how crucial our enlarged tagmata was in saving the Imperium during our last unfortunate conflict with the ignoble Horde.

Senator Colombo is a capable man, but he is not a warrior. Only a true soldier is fit to lead the Red Demes in this time of crisis. When we retake Aegyptus, who would you want guiding our faction and personally advising the Basielus- a former merchant, or a hardened veteran who has served in the hot sands of Aegyptus and Africa?

-Konstantinos Moustakas

[SIZE=+1]Senator Anastasios Salamis VI:[/SIZE]
I thank you, Senator Raoul. I am honored that you consider me and my house friends.
Of course, house Salamis will continue supporting Hadrianos Raoul for faction leadership- he has led us greatly, and we remain the biggest faction in the Senate. In those times of war, it is just natural that the Imperium will focus on military- if we continue supporting honorable Senator Raoul, I am sure that we will be able to win many Senate sessions in times which are a bit more peaceful.

Senator Hadrianos Raoul announces his candidature for Faction Leader of the Blue Demes

What Imperium should do before year 1460 : The reconquest of Egypt must be the priority of the decade. I would also focus on preparing the reunion of the German principalities to the Imperium (fabricating claims on the states of the HRE)

Candidate speech :
Blue Demes, in the last years I have tried to unite the various positions among us, to weigh here and in the politics of the Imperium. Some people would say that I betrayed us by standing with the Reds but I acted for the good of the Imperium not for our own interests -even if the interests of the Imperium are ours, it just takes a little more time. But look what we achieved in the past few years, together ! We merchants, droungarios, explorers, we are advisers of the Emperor, even if our opponents still despise us. I promise to listen to all of you as I have done before, I'll be for sure the candidate that divides us the less, and I sincerely hope you will trust me for the years to come.

-Hadrianos Raoul

Senator Frederik V Hvide

*Senator Frederik once again steps up to the podium to speak, his energy seemingly spent after all this talk of the war. The perceptive among the senate might notice that his limp has become greater, due to an infection that claimed the rest of his foot. He also seems to be muttering curses under his breath when walking, seemingly directed at the Xenoi, but without any knowledge in danish it is impossible to be certain.*

Hadrianos it brings me great joy that that you so fondly remember your visit to my estate. My eldest asked that I bring you his thanks, he tells me that the Norman Knot that you taught him during your visit, saved his life during the great storm last year. You and the rest of the blue demes are of course once again invited to our celebrations on Saint Johns Eve and it would please me greatly to host you during the celebrations this summer.

You of course have my support for your candidacy, you have done well during the last session and i have no reason to doubt you now. I am also very pleased to hear that you remember my suggestion that the Reich be put under the imperial banner. Serve us well.

{{And Attalus if you want to know what a danish castle looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronborg for a medieval castle converted into a renaissance castle, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spøttrup_Castle for a medieval castle.}}

Last edited: