• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those Pisan Scum have unlocked the power to control black holes and want to compress the whole world into it because they know its the only way to defeat the Imperium!!!

Of course, I simply sacrificed one of those Greek fools to one of the Nahuatl Gods while sipping delicious chocolate in my throne, lifted constantly by fifty expendable Orthodox slaves. By the end of the day, it is nice to be a Pisan.

[size=+2]SECOND SENATE SESSION - OPENING[/size]

q32fjzl.jpg

Illustrious doux Maximos Komnenos, President of the Imperial Senate and Prefect of Konstantinoupolis, hereby annouces that

[size=+2]THE SECOND SENATE SESSION HAS BEGUN[/size]

The Second Senate Session is dedicated to the following matters:​
[size=+1]SENATUS CONSULTUM
  • (1) Reform of the imperial administration and new legislation (National Focus)
  • [/size]
His Imperial Majesty Caesar Augustus Autokrator Markos III Angelos has introduced the following bill to the Imperial Senate:

Restauratio Fortitudinis Excercitus Romanorum Act

The Imperial Senate, excersicing legislative power it was given by the Sacred Emperor Markos III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, acting on authority of His Imperial Majesty and with His approval, decided what follows:

1. That the Imperium Romanum, its Administration, Army and Navy, and all Logothesia are in a dire need of a Reform.
2. That such Reform is necessary for the preservation of the Imperium and all Roman citizens and all Christians.
3. That the Imperial Senate and all Noble Houses support His Imperial Majesty absolutely and with no hesitation in all matters and all actions taken by Him.
4. That His Imperial Majesty, guided by the Holy Spirit and with Saint Markos' blessing, accurately and properly determined that such Reform has to continue.
5. That all Senators agree that the Imperium shall concentrate all its efforts on reforming Imperial Army (National Focus MIL), which is the foremost priority considering recent events.[/b]

Bill adopted by the Imperial Senate on [DAY] January 1450 year and submitted to His Imperial Majesty for approval on the same day.
In his wisdom, His Imperial Majesty decided to ALLOW the Senate Factions to propose provisions not included in the bill

[size=+1]RESOLUTIONS
  • (2) Liberation of Aegyptus (war vs the Timurids)
  • [/size]

Vjj4sKE.jpg

His Imperial Majesty in his wisdom decided to ask the Imperial Senate for counsel in the following matter:
Shall the Imperium declare war on the accursed sons of Timur so that the whole Aegyptus and Syria may be liberated from the yoke of Shia opression and tyranny and that good Christians and Roman citizens may once again enjoy imperial protection?

[size=+1]
  • (3) Taxation of Roman merchants (slave trade)
  • [/size]

wxf1p36.jpg

His Imperial Majesty in his wisdom decided to ask the Imperial Senate for counsel in the following matter:
Shall the Roman merchants who deal in slave trade, as good Christians and loyal citizens, be relieved from tax for the period of 10 years, so that they may with even greater ease provide the Imperium with slaves to work in mines and fields and thus increase the prosperity of all citizens and increase the revenue of the Imperial Treasury?

In his wisdom, His Imperial Majesty decided to ALLOW the Senators to issue statements which are not directly related to these matters.

k8seKwO.jpg

[size=+1]SENATE FACTIONS[/size]

AMENDMENTS
  • As it was decided by His Imperial Majesty the Senate Factions are ALLOWED to propose provisions not included in the bill.
  • Faction Leaders propose provisions in the name of their Senate Factions after discussion within the Faction.
  • Faction Leaders may start proposing provisions after 24 hours have passed since the opening of the Senate Session.
  • The Imperial Senate will vote only on the bill introduced by His Imperial Majesty and properly introduced provisions.

TITLES&HONORS
  • Faction Leaders may distribute titles and honors among the members of their Faction during Senate Session.
  • Faction Leaders distribute titles and honors by clearly stating this in their post.
  • Once given, the titles and honors are irrevocable by the Faction Leaders.
  • Editing the post in which the said titles and honors are given to Faction members is prohibited.

[size=+1]Remember to begin every post written in-character using the following template:
- [ b ][ size=+1 ]Senator <name>:[ /b ][ /size ][/size]

[size=+2]THE DEBATE BEGINS IN 1 HOUR
***[/size]

How strongly dependent is the Imperium's economy on slaves? Would we be hurting ourselves by not taxing it for ten years?

{{Ah, alright. Cool to see you further expanding the lore in this mad world.}}

Zubilus Jailus
Fellow senators If we allow the slave exemption to pass. We shall create a new class of unofficial aristocrats either the slaves shall gain power like it happend to the muslims. Or the slave owners shall become a class . There interests shall run opposites to ours. I urge all of you to oppose it.
{sorry if i posted early }

Senator Osgar Godric

"Senators, I say that we should lessen the taxes on the slave owners. The richer our people, the better we can fund our armys to recover more land. On a related note, To the east lies the accursed offspring of that bastard Timur. *Spits on to the senatorial floor, His face becomming marred with a mask of hatered and disgust* Lets teach these devils what it means to face Rome. For once Aegyptus is reclaimed, We can open up new lands to settle and bring the word of god to!

Senator Frederik V Hvide.

The crippled Norseman steps up to the podium, while muttering a short benediction: "Absalon min storslåede forfader lån mig din visdom og dine talegaver så jeg bedst kan tjene almægtige gud i Jesu navn, Amen." (translated: Absalon my honored ancestor, lend me your wisdom and your silver tongue, so that I might serve almighty God amen.) At the podium he spreads his arms and addresses the senate:

"Honored Senators it is clear from the proposed legislation that our great and merciful emperor litsens to the pleas of his people within his borders or not, the time has come to reclaim Aegyptus. For far too long have loyal Romans citizens suffered under the yoke of the children of accursed Timur, by the grace of the Almighty may his soul forever roast in the pit. I urge all my fellow senators to show our great Emperor that the Senate unanimous in its sagely advice and inform him that the reconquest of Aegyptus must occur as soon as possible.

To the doubters, to those that feel that the liberation of fellow Romans is not enough I offer you these reasons to support the declaration of war. To the Blues who may doubt, remember that while the city of great Alexander is still in Christian hands and that trade still flows through the great city north to the seat of the Emperor, barbarian ships now threaten both the Red sea and the Mediterranean. This access to both seas is increasing their ability to interrupt trade and steer it away from the honorable Romans depending on grain from the south. Furthermore, they even gain the ability to strike at Konstantinopoulos itself should the watch of the navy falter for even a moment. This AFFRONT to Emperor, Saint, Kristos and God cannot be allowed to stand any further Aegyptus must be reclaimed.

To the Faithful who may doubt the rightness of the Emperors cause, remember that Aegyptus is as Christian as it is roman, and the very idea of allowing loyal Christians suffer under the influence of that heathen god the vile Shia follow, must be as abhorrent to you as it is to me. And if reasons of faith is not enough and you feel a more worldly motive is necessary for war, consider this. A Unified realm is much stronger than one divided, roman control in those provinces is near nonexistent , severely hampering our ability to recruit people from and tax the provinces. I am even told that we cannot even recruit mercenaries in the land to the far south.
I pray that these reasons are enough to convince you my fellow senators. I Yield the floor."

{Guys, remember the rules! Italics for in-character, brackets for out while in debate! Also, Senator Bloobity blah, not just the name.}

Senator Domenico Colombo:

We are gathered here today to make three decisions. Two are on the material integrity of the Imperium, the other on its integrity of morals. I will address the body of the Empire first, for without it, the soul of it will lack a home.

Policies spearheaded by me and my colleagues in the Red Demes have greatly improved the Imperial Army. Morale has improved, we are getting more qualified officers every day, and we have far more efficient methods of recruiting that allow us to bounce back far more quickly since the loss of Crimea. (Well, most of it) It is a mark of this success that our Emperor believes our forces ready to take on the Timurids, who hold great swathes of land that should be ours, so soon. However, our administration is not yet fully geared for war, and it showed in the conflict against the Horde. It is obvious that a real Military Focus is needed if we want to keep our Empire secure. In addition, I do not doubt the Emperor's judgement on our military capacity; if he thinks we can win this war, we shall. The Angelos have never led us astray, and they never will!

However, I worry that special interests are seeping into the Imperial Administration and clouding the morals of our Empire.

Despite my families' background in trade, we never stooped so low as to sell slaves. This was more a financial decision than a moral one initially, but at this point, it has become an unspoken tradition for our House to look down on such practices. True freedom, as my father would tell me, is the freedom to make choices, whether they be financial or familial, or personal. It is one of the biggest reasons why I hate the Xenoi. They have enslaved half of Europe, forced the people to convert under pain of death, and then tortured them in such ways that death would be preferable.

However, I am a practical man. The slave trade is of such importance that a ban would cause immense damage. And I can morally permit some slavery, but under certain circumstances.

1. The potential slave has been offered a chance to convert to the True Faith
2. The potential slave has refused the offer.
3. The slave is given the option to convert to the True Faith every 5 years.
4. If he does convert, he must stay with his owner for a period of 2 Years. If he remains true to the Faith, he must be released.

No true follower of Jesus and Saint Markos should ever be held against his will.

But in regards to this proposal, I will wait for the reaction of my fellow Red Demes before proposing an amendment. I would also like to ask the President of the Senate whether the above statement can be an amendment to the bill. If it may be, I would not be against the Emperor's proposal. Stronger regulation is all I ask for.

{{CzokletMuss hasn't said debating can begin. I think we should wait until we get the green light, to stay on the safe side.}}

{{It's been more than an hour already, he shouldn't say one hour and then wait two for an announcement. I waited for about an hour and a half before writing.}}

Decius Taurinus

{{The Exarch of Taurica, Decius Taurinus, gets up and walks to the center of the chamber.
The years weigh heavily on him and he is using a cane in his right hand to support a leg injury from the recent fighting and other scars on his arms and legs. He surveys the surrounding senators with a cold look before beginning.}}

In my years of serving the Empire, I have given all my strength and my skills for the Empire. I carry many wounds that I have gladly won for our great Imperium and in the service of our great Emperor. And so it pains me when any true Roman blood is spent unnecessarily.
We first gathered this senate six years ago with such optimism, harboring dreams of conquest, exploration, and riches from the East. {{Looks coldly at some of the more vocal merchants}}
We let ourselves become consumed in petty squabbles among factions and personal disagreements, and many wished to place their own interests before those of the Empire, dreaming of fortunes to be won from trade, of distant expeditions, all while giving only a half hearted support for the reform and strengthening of the Imperial Military that the Empire so dearly needs.
And while all this happened, the Horde learned of our quarrels, they heard of how hollow much of the support was for the military, and they prepared for an invasion, an invasion that lost us land, man brave Roman soldiers, and claimed the life of my eldest son Zeno.
I buried my son after the battle of Kuban when he was slain leading a charge against the enemy lines, trying to win victory against the brute force of the barbarian horsemen, sadly only one of the many brave Romans killed in that war.
I myself fought alongside our noble forces in the north, and from that war I now carry many new wounds, a barbarian crippled my leg during the battle of Yedishkul, and I buried many friends and comrades, brave Romans who gave their lives for the Imperium.
The armies of the Empire are still as brave, as devoted, and as determined as ever, but the senate must continue to give its full support to the military to ensure our success. For all of our efforts, for all of the sacrifices, we lost that war, the Imperium again was forced to give up more territory and condemned more souls to life under the ruthless barbarians.
To suggest that we should neglect the continuing strengthening of the military is not only madness but treason, it spits on the graves of those Romans who were slain in the war, and will invite our enemies to descend on us once more.
I propose that we continue the reform of the military, ensuring that the Empire’s defenses are strong enough to repulse any future invasion, so that then we may bring about the reconquest of Egypt and when the Emperor’s wisdom allows, avenge our defeat by the Horde and sends the Horsemen to the fate that awaits them.
We cannot let ourselves be distracted with false treasures and selfish ambitions, the Imperium stands at a crossroads and we must choose the right path before it is too late.
I stand with the Reds and the continuing support of the Imperial Military, to make the legions strong and bring low all the barbarians who shed Roman blood! And I hope that all true Romans will stand with me!

{{Returns to his seat and sits with a look of determination}}

{{A letter from Domenico Colombo to his son}}

Dearest Son;

I find myself somewhat hurt by your last letter to me. I have not sold out to the Whites, the Reds, to anyone. Our family is still doing phenomenally well, the only issues being that some of our benefits have been redirected to the military. It has been a few years now, but I think enough strings have been pulled. The Emperor has asked the Senate for authorization for an attack on the Timurids. This is what I have been working towards for years; soon Alexandria will be safe and we will be able to prosper without having to fear hordes storming in from the east. My original intention was to retire from my position as head of the Red Demes after this session, as I had joined mostly to achieve personal goals. But now, I feel a responsibility to stay and guide to Imperium to military victory. The Army Reform is going well, and additional powers should be granted to us shortly. Thus, I will most likely seek re-election, if my members will have me.

I am also worried somewhat about your... reading habits. I went through great risk to get you those texts six years ago, all for the sake of a thorough education. The intention for those was to be able to know your enemies' arguments so that they can be better defeated in debate. I grow increasingly worried that you may have taken different lessons, especially seeing some of your recent expenditures, which you have attempted to hide from me. I have given you increased responsibilities in this family, but I won't have you hiding your purchases, especially such risky ones. I also do not understand your increased hatred towards the remaining Coptics in Alexandria. I don't see how they are different from any other heretic.

You've always wanted to see the world, and to find great riches in the East, but I feel in the past 5 or so years something has changed, and I would like to know why. Your support for policies of exploration hasn't faltered, but...

I'm not sure. It just seems like there's something more than gold you want to look for.

-Domenico Colombo

Senator Juan Cortez:

I fully agree that we must give our all to our military. Though we are able to pull up more troops, we must also know how to counter the cavalry charges of the hordes, for their swarms of horses will charge through anything we pull up. Our pike walls work for frontal charges, but as this war has proven, they easily flanked. If we were to research ways to prevent these flanks, we will gain a tactical advantage over the hordes, and the knowledge that our flanks our safe would certainly be a boon to morale. With this tactical knowledge and our new recruitment practices, we should be able to fight a war to reclaim aegyptus and syria and make some headway against the timurids, for I hear they are focusing eastward, far from our limes, and so unless the xenoi invade, now would be the time to attack. They certainly must be having trouble with all the true christians and tengri savages in their land anyway. As for the matter of slaves, with our increased recruiting practices, we msut further our reliance on slaves to keep the fields and mines producing, for I have already noticed an increase in the number of children from our policies, but it will still be another decade before any real population change will affect us, and until then we should rely on slave labor.

[size=+1]Senator Konstantinos Moustakas[/size]

The Imperium is pressed by enemies on all sides. It is a blessing that we have decided to take the quantity measures to increase the levies of the tagmata, else we would be doomed after the debacle against the Horde.

The tagmata desperately needs further reform if we are to stave off the Xenoi, Mohammadens, and other barbarians. We must focus on our military if we are to survive. Aegyptus must be reclaimed as soon as possible before it is too late. I agree with the wise Senator Taurinus that to focus on anything but the tagmata is treason. I pray that we will recover the senator's land in good time and reverse the damage the savages inflicted upon his lands, though we can never resurrect his dear son, Zeno.

I also believe that slave owners should be compensated, for the labor they provide shall free up many young men to enter the tagmata and defend the Imperium

*Konstantinos hobbles back to his seat*

Senator Septimark Wedrovander:
"I do not address you here today in any amount of hope or triumph that others have. I come today like the esteemed Taurinus having lost something precious. I lost my younger brother to the horse archers of the horde and one man here has made his death futile and vain. Colombo, your bill helped to kill many thousands of men and only to end up replacing them with more. Instead of considering giving the men some sort of training to at least know which end actually kills things you just simply said, "Go forth and replace him with his son and his grandfather so that one of them can see the day of an actual roman victory. Oh yes, I know your other "reforms" are not quite implemented and will take time but the Imperium suffered because of your proposal. However now there is some actual amount of opportunity to redeem your policies. Of course I speak of the possible war, the inevitable war with the Timurid heathens. And here you are doing just that, always prepared to kill a thousand peasants for a 10 slaves, a gold bar, and a another title for your own glory. Oh but I don't deal with slaves you say then what are all those peoples bound to your land are then hmm? Your work gangs don't even have the option of buying their freedom due to the fact that all the coin you make with your grain farms goes to you. I bet you also made quite a killing with those contracts of yours considering where the fighting was. But this I could forgive. If it wasn't suicidal to think about attacking when we don't know what the Xenoi of the west are thinking. Sure maybe have some time after all the horde have their fill of our lands and citizens. On the plus side the ones you were worried about aren't coming to cut the rest of your lands off yet. I support us attacking the Timirids only if the Xolal aren't in a position to attack us. Because quite frankly if the Xenoi attack with their Pisan friends when were also at war with the Timirids then we're doomed.

That said I think that those that have such, persons, as slaves are the ones providing most of the wealth that the empire needs and they are the ones benefiting from all this war which is plunging slave market values with excess goods. I think that it is better to consider returning to the slavery of old where all slaves could earn wages to free themselves from servitude. Save of course the Xenoi which are considered without souls are to be treated differently.
*no one suspects the twitch he gives at those words are from doubt not anger*
That is all I have to say at this time. Thank you for your ears.

{{Yeah my guy's angry but i'm not really. Just a bit miffed. If only we had infantry combat ability instead of replenishment of manpower... but oh well. Any who what are the Xenoi up too they're just too quiet for my tastes.}}

Last edited:
Wow, the senate really is turning out nicely. The aristoi may constantly bicker in the empire's dying days, but they manage to bicker against each other and not the throne.

Furthermore, has the Imperium really turned away from the dagger and managed to unite for state interests, and chosen to fight the Horde on the battlefield like men instead of delivering poison to the khan's bedside like the women in men's clothing who have ruled it for centuries? Then again, a lot of good it did them this war.

The offer remains as it was in the time of the great Genghis; all the Romans must do is surrender Constantinople and their other lands to the Khagan and you will be spared and allowed to practice your religion in peace. :)

(hope this post is okay. I'm not a senator - and for my own safety if I *were* saying this in-character it would be a letter from an embassy safely in the Horde's borders - but I've been lurking for a while and I thought a sort of... in-universe touch might be fun.)

{{ To birdboy: Please read rules during the senate sessions back at page one, I understand that you're excited and all but this thread will be very bloated by the end of all this. Also no role playing outside of the senators or else we'd be spammed by the crowing of the Pisan by now between every post :p.}}