• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[size=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos:[/size]

I agree with my hornoured fellow senator Anastasios. We have been called together to be advisers, originating from all corners of the empire. Warriors, Merchants, Administrators. We might not all be of the same opinion on all things – our forbearers on the capitol in Rome weren't either – but we should not descent into infighting. Our enemies stand before our limes, ready to strike at a sign of weakness. Let us not show them, what they are waiting for, but lets stand united against them.

I for one support the decision of my blue fellows and our hornoured leader Senator Hadrianos.

[size=+1]President of the Senate Maximos Komnenos:[/size]

***Maximos Komnenos sits silently on a ebony armchair placed on the lowest step of the dais surrounding the throne from which high imperial officials used to welcome foreign envoys in the days before the Great Dying. He's tapping his fingers on the luxurious wood, visibly impatient, while the Senators are taking their seats in the Great Hall of the Magnaura. Barely noticing the presence of eunuchs from the Sacred Palace, hidden beyond the marble pillars in the aisles and ready to record every word during the First Senate Session, he dedicates all his attention to the Senators themselves, slowly pouring into the nave. His disgust is ostentatious ans perceptible.***

"Upstart commoners, all of them. Why the Emperor concerns himself with this filth? Ordinary aristoi, low-ranking offciers and bureaucrats, foreigners from distant lands, governors of some backwater themata and - God Almight! - even merchants. Pathetic lowlife scum - what right do they have to set foot in the halls of the Palace? What have they done to earn this honor? How come they represent anyone except for their servants or slaves, assuming they have any?"

***Maximos Komnenos raises his eyebrow while closely looking at the Senators***

"Unbelievable. To think that I, who was once the head of the House Komnenos and member of the Imperial Council, have to deal with these hoi polloi. How can they even advice His Majesty? They know nothing. Nothing! We have the Council, we gave the Scrinium Barbarorum and all these logothetoi - why the Emperor wants to deal with them in the first place? It's a mistake to allow this... rabble to delude itself with ilusions of grandeur and importance. They are nothing more but pawns to him. Fools. Whatever is his goal, I hope that the Emperor will get rid of them as soon as they are no longer needed."

***Maximos Komnenos sighs***

"Saint Markos give me strength..."

***Maximos Komnenos clears his throat and stands up***

Noble Senators, it's time to start the debate. Which one of the wise servants of the Imperium would like to speak first?

[size=+1]Senator Ioannes Kantakouzenos:[/size]

Being that my family lands rest near the heartlands of the Imperium, and that I have assisted my brother with the administration of my family's lands on many an occasion, I am very familiar with the grave situation that the Imperial Administration finds itself in. Being also that I am a god-fearing man, I feel that our efforts our best concentrated in the construction of an effective religous structure, serving only the Angeloi and no other besides their greatest supporter, God himself. I do not claim to be worthy of taking on the mantle of God's cause-I will leave that to my fellow Senator Theophilus Rhadenos, who, being a man of god, is far more suited to dealing with church matters. However, I cannot deny my strong inclination towards improving the Imperium through administrative means, creating an efficient and healthy system for both the Imperium's clergy and its mundane citizens.

I implore my fellow senators to see the wisdom of my words, and thereby the wisdom of God, because the Emperor has brought before us his own thoughts on the matter, highlighting the need for internal reform. While I suppose he will accept whatever consensus the Senate may reach, I still do not wish to defy the will of God's representatives on Earth, the Angeloi, in this or any other matter that may be brought before us.

[size=+1]Senator Helios IV Eliasian:[/size]
Like my fellow faction member Anastasios, I would very much like to send a company to explore the mystic lands of Hindkastan. However, we would need to be sure that we can travel safely along the borders of Aegyptua, and while the Lame Khan's descendants still rule a part of the coast, this will not be possible. So I agree with him in favoring Administrative Reforms for now, to finally reconquer Awgyptua.

[size=+1]President of the Senate Maximos Komnenos:[/size]

***Maximos Komnenos sits silently on a ebony armchair placed on the lowest step of the dais surrounding the throne from which high imperial officials used to welcome foreign envoys in the days before the Great Dying. He's tapping his fingers on the luxurious wood, visibly impatient, while the Senators are taking their seats in the Great Hall of the Magnaura. Barely noticing the presence of eunuchs from the Sacred Palace, hidden beyond the marble pillars in the aisles and ready to record every word during the First Senate Session, he dedicates all his attention to the Senators themselves, slowly pouring into the nave. His disgust is ostentatious ans perceptible.***

"Upstart commoners, all of them. Why the Emperor concerns himself with this filth? Ordinary aristoi, low-ranking offciers and bureaucrats, foreigners from distant lands, governors of some backwater themata and - God Almight! - even merchants. Pathetic lowlife scum - what right do they have to set foot in the halls of the Palace? What have they done to earn this honor? How come they represent anyone except for their servants or slaves, assuming they have any?"

***Maximos Komnenos raises his eyebrow while closely looking at the Senators***

"Unbelievable. To think that I, who was once the head of the House Komnenos and member of the Imperial Council, have to deal with these hoi polloi. How can they even advice His Majesty? They know nothing. Nothing! We have the Council, we gave the Scrinium Barbarorum and all these logothetoi - why the Emperor wants to deal with them in the first place? It's a mistake to allow this... rabble to delude itself with ilusions of grandeur and importance. They are nothing more but pawns to him. Fools. Whatever is his goal, I hope that the Emperor will get rid of them as soon as they are no longer needed."

***Maximos Komnenos sighs***

"Saint Markos give me strength..."

***Maximos Komnenos clears his throat and stands up***

Noble Senators, it's time to start the debate. Which one of the wise servants of the Imperium would like to speak first?
{{Awesome, I like it that Maximos has an opinion too :) Btw, let's all agree that Maximos said that before the speeches of Lazaros and Anastasios? It makes more sense.}}

{{Awesome, I like it that Maximos has an opinion too :) Btw, let's all agree that Maximos said that before the speeches of Lazaros and Anastasios? It makes more sense.}}
Well, you were supposed to start at 10:00 PM, so I assumed that you won't post anything before that ;)

Well, you were supposed to start at 10:00 PM, so I assumed that you won't post anything before that ;)
{{Oh, I saw the declaration and got all excited thinking that it started- sorry, will put the gmt converter in my favorites and use it :p I guess we should just pretend that I posted right after you, followed by Senator Lazaros.}}

Senator Osgard Godric

"My fellow senators, I ask you not to begin this foolishness of searching for new lands, At least, Not yet. Deep in Aethopia, The Limes under my command are struggling to recieve supplies and equipment from the rest of the Imperium. So much so i have had to start drafting the native's to aid in the defense of the frontier. Due to this, The economy suffers due to most of the craftsmen and farmers being conscripted into the Limes. We need to secure Egypt to ensure that a secure supply route reaches Aegyptus. Although we have need of more eunchs, We will need Spartans once we have secured new lands.. Thus i propose that we reform our army after our administration. We face an insidious enemy, Like the Persians of old. The Spartans faced the largest army ever assembled with only 300 men, And though they were defeated, The death toll they inflicted is legendary. I say we emulate the great Spartans, Instead of sending heretical children into the Eunchs once we have reformed them, We create a new sparta, Where the children will become good christian soldiers trained from birth by the finest of our troops, The only reason the spartans fell was a lack of manpower, We would not suffer the same if we levy this on the peasentry, After all, what could be a greater honour than becoming a soldier in the army of Christ?

{{sorry about being late guys, got carried away with a game of civ
I agree that we should take administrative as ourfirst idea, but after that quality. Nothing less than the best for the heirs of rome!}}

Last edited:
Senator Domenico Colombo, Red Faction Leader:

{Address to the Red Demes}

Welcome, brothers! We meet at a time of great change for the Imperium, and our voices here in the next few days will echo for decades to come in the policy, attitude, and perhaps, fate, of our Empire. It has become clear that the Imperium needs reform in all sectors, but we cannot focus on all of them. As Red Demes, we are the voice of the military, the safeguard of the Emperor and the Empire. While we may wish for a more direct focus on the military in the future, it appears that a Military Idea would not pass the Senate, and regardless of that fact, it would be a poor choice for reasons I detailed in my campaign. The Emperor, blessed as he is, has voiced initial support for a focus on Religious or Administrative focuses. While both are laudable, I do not think Religious Ideas would be terribly useful, at least right now. A side effect of losses against our foes is that our Empire has high religious unity, and the areas we want to reconquer first (Egypt) are still of the Orthodox faith. While some of the side effects of a focus on religion would be useful, I do not think focusing so heavily on it would provide as many positive results as Administrative Ideas would. Administrative would allow the Imperium to incorporate new territory far more easily, and would also make using mercenaries easier, through increased supply as well as cheaper costs. Mercenaries certainly are not exactly what the military would want, seeing as they are fighters who will only fight so long as they are paid. But in desperate times such as these, we must pull military might from wherever we can find it, despite the Imperium's previous bad blood with Mercenaries. Besides that, it is the platform our Emperor directly supports, which only strengthens my opinion that this is what should be focused on.

If enough of you are in support of this measure, I will not propose an amendment to the original bill put forth. I would also like to ask if there are any other provisions that we, the Red Demes, would like to propose. An initial proposal that i think would be a good choice would be to move 75% of the Imperial Army to Aegyptus and the Holy Land to prepare for an attack on the Timurids. Another provision could be to hire a Morale or Discipline advisor.

What say you, Red Demes?

{In your responses, include whether you support my conclusion on Administrative, whether you agree with my (potential) provisions, and other provisions you would like me to introduce. I will also handle negotiations with other factions, so if there is anything you would like me to say, or ask for, please tell.

Keep in mind that I, as faction leader, have final say on what the Red Demes propose and do not propose.}

Since you are managing a large empire administration ideas would not hurt.

{{It is noted in the rules that my Senator is not allowed to have any items not approved by the President of the Senate. Is he allowed to have paper and pencil? I wish to have him sketching.}}

{{Is he allowed to have paper and pencil?.}}
Yes.
{{Oh, I saw the declaration and got all excited thinking that it started- sorry, will put the gmt converter in my favorites and use it :p I guess we should just pretend that I posted right after you, followed by Senator Lazaros.}}
No problem, just remember about this in the future please :)

Senator Hadrianos Raoul

*Hadrianos Raoul rises with a content feeling on his face. He had accomplished one of his goals : becoming the leader of a faction in the Senate at only 28 years old. A strange combination of the human kind, he had Titian hair coming from his old ancestors from the Norse while harboring a beard cut like in Ancient Greece. He had power, a limited one and which will surely shift through time but at least he had an influence.*

Dear Senators, *he turns to the side of the Magnaura where the Blues have gathered and bows a little* Dear friends of the Blue Demes, we are assembled here under the eyes of God to advise our Basileus, long may he reign.

I will make my will clear. I advise those who have gathered under our banner to support the proposition of our Emperor to reform our Administration. I know that some will think that I change advice as soon as the wind turns but that is not true !

Exploration is and will always be my goal. I already exposed my reasons before but for those who would not have understood, *a sarcastic smile appears on his face* my dear friends of the White Demes come to mind, I will expose them once and for all. The world which we thought knowing for centuries is bigger than even Alexander could have ever thought when he was crying thinking there were no more worlds to conquer. But alas for us he was wrong. The Xenoi empire is bigger than the empire of Trajan, and yet we do not know any of these. In the same time, they know our lands, they know where to land, where to strike. During the last campaign, I was drougarios. I have captured some of their ships, at the costs of many lives, and I discovered maps, but no maps of the lands of the Falling Sun. No it was the Imperium and the other Christian lands which were represented. Of course, it was not as accurate as the maps of the Pandadikterion, but how could we imagine be safe in this situation.
But it is not the West that we should explore first. No, countrymen, there are countries where spices, gold and other riches lie in abundance. There are countries which could be converted to the One True Faith, not by force but by spreading the Gospel amongst these innocents. India, Serica, .... So many places where we could build an influence and then bring back riches, men to the Imperium and then completely push the Xenoi out of Christian lands and establish a new Pax Romana, a Pax Angelica ....

But exploration is not possible currently. The Imperium is circled by enemies on all sides. The lands in Aegyptus and Ethiopia which will be from where we will launch our ships to a new era of Discoveries, is isolated. But time will come, my friends, when the Imperium will stand proud and high, ready to discover what lies out of what we have known for centuries. Let us reform our administration, ridding it of corruption and thus better know ourselves. For if we want to win against our enemies, we must know us better than they do. "Gnothi seauton" as said a great thinker

So dear senators of the Blue Demes, what do you think of it ? I am merely your servant, your representative here in the capital. Please let me know if you agree on supporting the Emperor's proposal and if you have any project you want to be defended by me in this assembly. I am in favor of advising to go to war against Timurids to reclaim Egypt, once and for all. I would be also strongly in favor of annexing the Reich, or what stays of it before Xenoi but it is less important than Egypt.

Thank you senators for hearing my plead, Imperium shall prevail ! St-Markos bless you all.

*Before going back to his seat, Hadrianos goes to senator Columbo *
I see senator Columbo, leader of the Eagles, that we pursue the same goals in this noble assembly. Would you be ready to promise us to support Exploration in the future, and you will have my support for any matter, especially against the fanatics of the so-called "Faithful" ?

*Hadrianos then goes back, and speaks to senator Salamis*
I appreciate your support, senator Salamis, and be sure that you will be rewarded for sure when the time comes. Just trust me and our carriers will surely prosper

Last edited:
Zubilus jalius
postion
I would like to propse a change of support. Instead of supporting the fanatical white we shall support the more pragmatic red.In I had to travel a great deal from tunis to get here and was shocked at lack of manpower imperium has for ships. I support increase in our manpower and troops count. I ask you to reconsider your
{{I support quantity ideas because if it is pared with expansion it will provide an extra colonist}}

Senator Gaius Arrius

*Gaius glances up from his sketch of a half-dreamed invention, looking at his fellow senators. He wonders who he can trust, and who he should not share drinks with.*

My fellow Blue Demes, it seems we all see what must be done. Exploration must wait. I agree with our Faction Leader, Senator Hadrianos Raoul. We must side with the Red Demes and take back Aegyptus. I hope all of us, we loyal servants to the Imperium, make work together to insure a bright future.

Senator Hadrianos Raoul

*Before going back to his seat, Hadrianos goes to senator Columbo *
I see senator Columbo, leader of the Eagles, that we pursue the same goals in this noble assembly. Would you be ready to promise us to support Exploration in the future, and you will have my support for any matter, especially against the fanatics of the so-called "Faithful" ?

[/I]

Senator Domenico Colombo

*Colombo responds to Hadrianos in a loud manner audible, perhaps, to the Whites.*
While I am certainly glad that we share goals, I do hope you will formally come out in favor of the administrative reform. In addition, I won't have you causing bad blood with the Whites yet; they haven't even had a chance to make a position! I came to the Senate to heal wounds, not to belittle those of other political persuasions!

*Colombo lowers his voice to a whisper.*

Of course, it's not like they matter anyway. They are irrelevant, and with the combined political might of the Reds and Blues, not even the President of the Senate will be able to overrule us...

And then,

*Colombo smiles*
There will only be one man capable of throwing a wrench in our plans. At least, for now.

Senator Domenico Colombo

*Colombo responds to Hadrianos in a loud manner audible, perhaps, to the Whites.*
While I am certainly glad that we share goals, I do hope you will formally come out in favor of the administrative reform. In addition, I won't have you causing bad blood with the Whites yet; they haven't even had a chance to make a position! I came to the Senate to heal wounds, not to belittle those of other political persuasions!

*Colombo lowers his voice to a whisper.*

Of course, it's not like they matter anyway. They are irrelevant, and with the combined political might of the Reds and Blues, not even the President of the Senate will be able to overrule us...

And then,

*Colombo smiles*
There will only be one man capable of throwing a wrench in our plans. At least, for now.

*Hadrianos responds to Columbo*
I am a supporter of administration, I said it earlier, and I am happy that the Eagles and the Blues could work together.

*He approaches, speaking in a way that only Columbo can hear*
I think that we share the same goals, but be cautious with your words here in the Senate. One could easily misunderstand them

[size=+1]Senator Ioannes Kantakouzenos:[/size]

*Ioannes scowls at the multitude of insults to the Faithful*

Senators of the Blue and Red Demes, I urge you to reconsider your hatred of the Whites. If what I am hearing is correct, the opinion sways in form of a coalition between your Demes, in some futile show of mutual hatred towards us of the Faithful. But we are united, for the most part, in that we all support the implementation of further Administrative ideas of some kind. I could even be persuaded from the full-fledged support of the Faith, if only there would be a single person in this Senate besides me and Senator Rhadenos that had even a modicum of respect for God.

While the election of Senator Domenico Columbo as leader of the Red Demes concerns me for a number of reasons, the foremost is that it contradicts the balance of power itself. Senator Columbo is a staunch supporter of both Exploration and Trade, and while I cannot deny the allure of those things they are not the values espoused by the Red Demes, but by the Blue Demes. By supporting him, you are supporting the causes of the Blues, though I know I shouldn't be surprised by the Red Demes supporting the causes of the Blues as you are already doing so by being amiable to the sick merchants and foul greedy men who infest that Demes, much like the spawn of Satan infest the burning inferno of hell that all the members of the Blue Demes will surely visit when they die.

It is not to late to save the souls of the Eagles, however. Speaking from a more pragmatic perspective, the Red Demes could easily get more of their preferred legislation passed if they joined in a coalition with the Faithful. I cannot speak for Senator Rhadenos, but I am sure he would be fine with the idea of a Red-White coalition so long as the Whites are not neglected. We can either allow the Blues total domination of the Senate or deny them that, at the cost of some compromise between the Faithful's and the Eagle's positions. If you join with us, you may yet have a chance of gaining influence in the Senate, whereas joining with the Blues means only they win. A victory for the Blue Demes, or a pyrrhic victory for the Faithful and the Eagles. Your choice.

*Ioannes fondles his small cross necklace, made of gold.*

I pray you make the right one.

{{I would be more reasonable and sane in my arguments, but that would ruin the fun of insulting everyone as loudly as possible.}}

Senator Hadrianos Raoul
A strange combination of the human kind, he had Titian hair coming from his old ancestors from the Norse while harboring a beard cut like in Ancient Greece. He had power, a limited one and which will surely shift through time but at least he had an influence.*

{{Look out Raoul is a titan!!! Quick everyone get their 3d manuvering gear!!!}}
KBOKd2w.jpg

{{I'm starting to suspect that our faction leader may have misled us....}}