• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DEV DIARY 5
ART OF WAR & MODS

Salve! I'm busy with fixing converted save, so please forgive me that I'm not responding to all your comments – I really want the AAR to start as soon as possible. Today we shall examine how „Imperium Sine fine” is going to work after „Art of War” release. We will also take a look at the mods I'm going to use during the campaign. This is the penultimate dev diary – the constant stream of modifications and fixes is going to finally end this week. And I have to say that I'm glad that instead of staring at code in Notepad++ I'll be able to finally write the story :)

Let's start with the map.

8vESY7P.jpg

This is how the known world (Europe, Northern Africa and Middle East) look like at the start of the game. Know that it took 294 manual changes to provinces files to make the old converted save work again. But yes, at last everthing works and – after some fixing – it seems that there are no serious bugs, save for the vanilla ones of course. I'm not going to wait for 1.8.1 to start though.

7d21Gdh.jpg

Another change introduced by AoW is autonomy. Here you can see its effects on the Imperium – all themata in Africa are virtually cut off from the City and suffer 75% local autonomy (LA) penalty, while the rest of the imperial lands enjoy 20% LA. Why? Because I changed the way Dominate Empire (current government of the Imperium) works:

Code:
#Dominate Empire
	monarchy = yes
	valid_for_new_country = no

#bonus
	land_morale = 0.05
	global_autonomy = -0.10

faction = ki_nobles
	faction = ki_clergy
	faction = ki_peasants

min_autonomy = 20

}

Changes in autonomy forced some minor changes concerning the imperial officials:

Code:
# PALACE OFFICIALS

# Parakoimomenos - ADM FACTION
byz_parakoimomenos = {
	global_autonomy = -0.05
	stability_cost_modifier = 0.05
}

Some of the triggered modifiers were changed as well:

Code:
[u][b]# Pax Angelica Ambition[/b][/u]
byz_restore_ambition = {
	stability_cost_modifier = 1
	ae_impact = 0.50
	global_missionary_strength = -0.02
}

[b][u]# Pax Angelica[/b][/u]
byz_restored_ambition = {
	global_unrest = -1
	global_autonomy = -0.1
	global_missionary_strength = 0.01
}

[u][b]# Imperial Red Tape[/b][/u]
byz_huge = {
	trigger = {
		NOT = { stability = 2 }
	}
	global_autonomy = 0.1
	global_unrest = 2
	stability_cost_modifier = 0.5
}

[b][u]# Great Purge[/u][/b]
byz_huge_stable = {
	trigger = {
		stability = 2
	}
	global_autonomy = 0.05
	global_unrest = 1
	stability_cost_modifier = 0.25
}
There were also some changes to the Senate Factions:

Code:
[b][u]# The Reds[/b][/u]
ki_nobles =
{
	monarch_power = MIL

modifier = 
	{
		#Best
		army_tradition = 1

#Good
		core_creation = -0.05
		war_exhaustion = -0.01
		siege_ability = 0.05
		land_morale = 0.10

#Worst
		global_colonial_growth = -25

#Bad
		global_autonomy = 0.05
		naval_morale = -0.15

#Cost
		global_regiment_cost = 0.10
	}
}

[b][u]# The Whites[/b][/u]
ki_clergy =
{
	monarch_power = ADM

modifier = 
	{
		#Best
		stability_cost_modifier = -0.25

#Good
		global_missionary_strength = 0.02
		global_tax_modifier = 0.10
		global_autonomy = -0.05
		advisor_pool = 2

#Worst
		technology_cost = +0.10

#Bad
		land_morale = -0.10
		navy_tradition_decay = 0.02

#Cost
		advisor_cost = 0.25
	}
}

[b][u]# The Blues[/b][/u]
ki_peasants =
{
	monarch_power = DIP

modifier = 
	{
		#Best
		idea_cost = -0.10

#Good
		global_colonial_growth = +20
		diplomatic_reputation = 1
		trade_efficiency = 0.1
		navy_tradition_decay = -0.005

#Worst
		discipline = -0.05

#Bad
		army_tradition_decay = 0.02
		global_missionary_strength = -0.03

#Cost
		global_ship_cost = 0.1
	}
}

So all in all in regards to local autonomy it works like this:

Autonomy bonus

-0.10 LA while in peace (vanilla)
-0.10 LA because of the government
-0.05 LA when the Whites have the most influence in the Senate
(-0.10 LA if „Pax Angelica” is triggered)
(-0.25 LA if Roman Ambition is unlocked)

Autonomy malus
+0.20 LA if „Imperial Red Tape” is triggered
(+0.10 LA when „Imperial Red Tape” is substituted by the „Great Purge” triggered modifier)
+0.05 LA when the Reds have the most influence in the Senate

So let's say on 11 November 1444 for some reason Imperium is at war, „Imperial Red Tape” is triggered and the Reds are in charge. This would mean these modifiers apply:

-0.10 LA because of the government
+0.20 LA if „Imperial Red Tape” is triggered
+0.05 LA when the Reds have the most influence in the Senate

So during war Imperium would gain +0.15 local autonomy each month. This represents the general problems with administration Imperium has which are additionally strained by a war effort and the Reds, who don't really care about collecting taxes in, say, Malta when the enemy is at the gates. Of course in the mid-game these maluses can be overcomed – hopefully- but in the early game they should prove to be another challenge for me :) The LA malus also helps balance the Reds, who have pretty good modifiers (+5% discipline). Important – I'm still tweaking these things so it may change a little. Oh, and speaking about challenge I also made penalties for corruption much harsher:

Code:
[b][u]# Massive Corruption[/b][/u]
byz_corr1 = {
	trigger = {
		NOT = { stability = 0 }
	}
	global_tax_modifier = -0.10
	production_efficiency = -0.10
	global_trade_income_modifier = -0.10
}
[b][u]# Medium Corruption[/b][/u]
byz_corr2 = {
	trigger = {
		stability = 1
		NOT = { stability = 2 }
	}
	global_tax_modifier = -0.06
	production_efficiency = -0.06
	global_trade_income_modifier = -0.06
}

[b][u]# Small Corruption[/b][/u]
byz_corr3 = {
	trigger = {
		stability = 2
		NOT = { stability = 3 }
	}
	global_tax_modifier = -0.03
	production_efficiency = -0.03
	global_trade_income_modifier = -0.03
}

[b][u]# Corruption Eradicated[/b][/u]1
byz_corr4 = {
	trigger = {
		stability = 3
	}
	global_tax_modifier = 0.02
	production_efficiency = 0.02
	global_trade_income_modifier = 0.02
}

That's about it – there are few other things which concern LA but I can't reveal them right now and few other things which AoW broke but which are fixed (Catholic-only HRE for example). One of the most important things is the minimum LA of the colonies created on the same continet on which colonizer has his capital (yes, the issue which makes everyone on the forum angry). No longer there is – pretty silly IMHO – minimum 50% LA floor; in fact there is no minimum at all, so colonies can go from 0% to 100% LA like every other province. Of course 75% LA distant overseas penalty still applies, but things like „I'm playing as Kongo and if I send my colonists on the other side of the river the new province gives me permanent 50% LA for the whole game” won't happen in „Imperium Sine Fine”. I'm sure that Paradox will fix this either way but why wait for 1.8.1 when all it takes is a simple change in defines, right?

vmRSMEv.jpg

There's also one profound change I made which doesn't really have anything in common with „Art of War” but I would like to hear your feedback sooner rather than later. Here are some of the Lucky Nations in „Imperium Sine Fine” (in random order):
  • The Timurids
  • The Horde
  • Xenoi Xolal
  • Mali
  • Poland
  • Leon
  • Scotland
  • Pisa
There are few more and in total there are more than 10, which is important sine game allows only 10 Lucky Nations to exist at any time and to determine this it uses the order in which they are listed in the historical_lucky.txt. I won't tell you which are which on the list (among the top 10) and for obvious reasons I won't tell you about the hidden Lucky Nations – for now. If we encounter such a nation, you'll learn about it from Unlockable Dev Diary.

Oh, and I also changed xenoi National Ideas:

Code:
xenoi_ideas = {
	start = {
		core_creation = -0.33
		global_manpower_modifier = 0.25
	}
	bonus = {
		colonists = 1

# National Idea 1 = {
		army_tradition_decay = -0.01
		stability_cost_modifier = -0.15
	}
	# National Idea 2 = {
		land_morale = 0.15
		free_leader_pool = 1 
	}
	# National Idea 3 = {
		global_unrest = -1
		global_missionary_strength = 0.03
	 	tolerance_heathen = -3
	}
	# National Idea 4 = {
		global_tax_modifier = 0.10
		global_autonomy = -0.10
	}
	# National Idea 5 = {
		technology_cost = -0.05
		advisor_cost = -0.15
	}
	# National Idea 6 = {
		discipline = 0.05
		infantry_power = 0.10
	}
	# National Idea 7 = {
		range = 0.5
		culture_conversion_cost = -0.50
		may_explore = yes
	}

Now I know some of you think that I must be crazy by taking so many precautions to make sure Imperium is rather weak and its enemies are stronger. You may be right, of course – but considering how good are Roman NI, how beneficial is the geographical position of the Imperium, how silly AI is and how boring it would be if I would just blob unopposed for 400 years I think that there is no reason to not use such obstacles. There are some things (modifiers, events, decisions, mechanics etc.) which can make Imperium pretty strong but – for obvious reasons – I can't really talk about them. So remember that your impression of me nerfing myself into oblivion is biased: you simply don't see all the good stuff hidden in the game files :)

Ufh5lhF.jpg

MOD – Feudal Factions

Factions from Feudal Factions mod were covered earlier, so there's not much to be said here. I rewritten events from PPA so that each of the three factions gains influence based on:
- events from Feudal Factions
- events from PPA
- decision from PPA

plus obviously the Faction which „wins” the Senate Session gains +100 influence (via console). I won't use the option to manually increase their influence by spending monarch points, so which Faction is dominant will depend totally on the outcome of Senate Session and RNG.

MOD - PURPLE PHOENIX ARISIS

Well, when can I start? There were so many modifications that I think basically the whole mod was re-written. And I'm not talking only about localization files (all of them changed) or officials modifiers (all changed) – I'm talking also about events, images, decisions etc. To list them all means practically copy-paste all the code in this post, which is impossible. Some things were removed (like advisors or triggered modifiers based on ruler's MP) because they were obsolete, depended on long-abandoned mods or simply caused the game to crash (old faction system). Basically nothing was added per se, I was focused mostly on changing things and changes I made – like better unit and ships models for Imperium – were mostly not connected to the mod itself.

In the end, PPA is now well-tailored for the „Imperium Sine Fine” in almost every aspect – modifiers make sens in EU4 1.8, localization is based in the setting and decisions and events are balanced (lots of them were OP because they were written with vanilla Byzantium start in mind).

GRAPHICS AND UI MODS

I use Thick Borders v1.0 and Tooltip Font Mod too but I didn't change them in any way. More visible and distinct borders and bigger text in a tooltip is something I'm used to after usign these two mods for months (they are Ironman-compatible) and I have to say that it's hard to play EU4 without them.

oHj3lDd.jpg

Next time in „Dev Diary 6 – Finishing touches” I will list all the modifications which are worth mentioning (and I haven't mentioned them yet) before the AAR finally begins.

Last edited:
Yay, another dev diary. I'm interested in these unknown Lucky Nations, but waiting is part of the fun.

Secrets are lurking behind the imperial limes. Riches and risks, tresures and traps, I can't wait to see them! And of course see you make them proper roman and hand out their lands to faithful "public servants".

Calling it: China westernized, Indonesia united and colonizing, India either united or split into a few huge blobs. Japan westernized as well. Potentially Inca colonial nation in Australia.

I hope you've left us some space to plop our colonists...

"While this certainly doesn't end the Great Schism" uhh I think someone should tell the pop-up box...

Shouldn't the Blues also get a LA penalty because they wouldn't want to impose or collect taxes from their merchant cronies? :laugh:
Ha, I didn't notice that :D These are events from Purple Phoenix DLC, I forgot to change the localization.

Well, I'm trying to make it all fairly balanced, it wouldn't make sense if two Factions would give LA penalty IMHO.

I had an idea with the centers of reformation but I think it will require heavy, real heavy modding :p
Could be fun to have proselitysm by the Imperium represented by a center of reformation which would convert the borders around.
Example :
Imperium gets a foot in India
It refuses to trade or deal with heathens and decide to heavily proselit the area around its foothold (with a nasty cost of course :p). A center of faith is established for 50 years and Indian rulers could get the option to convert to Christianity

But well it would be complicated to implement and I think some people would find it OP :p

Well just looked in the files and it could be easier than I thought :
in common/religions you can determine what religion this center can convert (in our example of India, it would be hindu)
then you just have to make an event triggered by a decision when you own an orthodox province in India to establish a center of faith in this province.
But if ever we introduce it, it should cost A LOT. I mean with it, the Imperium could easily convert most of Deccan just by owning Ceylan and converting one of their provinces
So maybe give a penalty to diplo rep, or diplo slot while making the center cost 300-400 adm (it would cost just like an idea)

What else is there to say other than the continuation of awesomeness of the possibilities of this scenario. Keep up the great work man and it will be the most epic adventure on the internet!

Calling it: China westernized, Indonesia united and colonizing, India either united or split into a few huge blobs. Japan westernized as well. Potentially Inca colonial nation in Australia.

I hope you've left us some space to plop our colonists...

A) No minghal empire and super ryukyu vying for dominance over asia?

B) The xenoi also get colonists, so I'd assume he left some space.

Yeah, I doubt Czoklet will be able to resist the Ryukyu blob, now that you mention it.

In terms of stuff I'd like to see, I'd like to see a warring states China, with everyone having cores/claims on each other. Would be interesting to see which gains dominance.

Another kick-ass thing would be a Nestorian China or India. That would be dope.

warring states china would probably be resolved if/when we manage to get there

If? IF? You lack faith in the strength of the Imperium!?

We're going to run out of Heresy related crimes to convict you of, and the Gifs to accompany them eventually.

At this point I think it's a false flag operation by you to make the Blues look bad.

[size=+2]FIRST SENATE SESSION - ANNOUNCEMENT[/size]

lYLKoiY.jpg

Illustrious doux Maximos Komnenos, President of the Imperial Senate and Prefect of Konstantinoupolis, hereby annouces that Sacred Emperor Markos III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, in his wisdom decided to

[size=+2]CALL THE FIRST SENATE SESSION[/size]

to seek counsel of the noble Senators who, guided by the Holy Spirit, are going to debate and vote on the following matters:

[size=+1]Reform of the imperial administration and new legislation (First Idea Group)[/size]​
His Imperial Majesty Caesar Augustus Autokrator Markos III Angelos has introduced the following bill to the Imperial Senate:

Restauratio Fortitudinis Imperii Act (Senatus Consultum)

The Imperial Senate, excersicing legislative power it was given by the Sacred Emperor Markos III Angelos, basileus basileon by the Grace of God, king of kings and rulers of rulers, Caesar Augustus of the Romaioi and all Men, Autokrator of the Holy Church and Protector of the Christendom, acting on authority of His Imperial Majesty and with His approval, decided what follows:

1. That the Imperium Romanum, its Administration, Army and Navy, and all Logothesia are in a dire need of a Reform.
2. That such Reform is necessary for the preservation of the Imperium and all Roman citizens and all Christians.
3. That the Imperial Senate and all Noble Houses support His Imperial Majesty absolutely and with no hesitation in all matters and all actions taken by Him.
4. That His Imperial Majesty, guided by the Holy Spirit and with Saint Markos' blessing, accurately and properly determined that such Reform has to begin with Sanatio of the Imperial Administration.
5. That all Senators agree that the matter of the foremost priority for the Imperium is in fact Administrative Reform (Administrative Ideas).

Bill adopted by the Imperial Senate on [DAY] November 1444 year and submitted to His Imperial Majesty for approval on the same day.

and wishes the Senators to accept it in the form of a SENATUS CONSULTUM.

In his wisdom, His Imperial Majesty decided to ALLOW the Senate Factions to propose provisions not included in the bill

SCHEDULE (WARSAW TIME)
  • Opening of the Session9:00 PM 5th November (Wednesday)
  • Debate – 3 days, that is from 10:00 PM 5th November (Wednesday) until 10:00 PM 8th November (Saturday)
  • Opening of the voting10:00 PM 8th November (Saturday)
  • Voting – 1 day, that is from 10:00 PM 8th November (Saturday) until 10:00 PM 9th November (Sunday)
  • Closing of the Session11:00 PM 9th November (Sunday)

Before the Session begins, the Senate shall assembly in Hagia Sofia to take part in Theia Leitourgia and to pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance and wisdom, so that the noble Senators may advice His Imperial Majesty having received God's blessing.

ALBUM SENATORIUM
Illustrious doux Maximos Komnenos, President of the Imperial Senate and Prefect of Konstantinoupolis, hereby annouces:
  • that the noble House Anatolios and its representative have been REMOVED from the Album Senatorium (reason: matti0020 resigned);
  • that the noble House Scipion and its representative, senator Michael Scipion (played by: varetta), have been ADDED to the Album Senatorum as a member of the Red Demes;
  • that including the aforementioned changes the Imperial Senate consists of 24 SENATORS;
  • that therefore the required quorum derived from this number is 12 SENATORS.

DslMqgr.jpg

May Saint Markos protect us all.

Signed,
Maximos Komnenos
President of the Imperial Senate

[size=+1]***[/size]

My comment: Originally I wanted to proceed like this:
  • Dev diary 5
  • Dev diary 6
  • Prologue (1444-1450)
  • State of the World (1450)
  • First Senate Session (1450)
But only now I've realized that this would mean that (1) I would have to personally choose which Faction would be in power during 1444-1450 period (2) Imperium would have to wait with unlocking Idea Group whole six years while the rest of the importnat nations got it from the start (3) before I would get to the point in which I can release the „Prologue”, the 1.8.1 would come out and I would have to AGAIN completely devote myself to fixing bugs. Which in the end would mean that the first chapter would come out in the end of November or even December and in the meantime nothing interesting would happen. As you can see, all in all a pretty silly plan.

So I decided to change this. Here's the new plan:
  • Dev diary 5
  • First Senate Session (1444)
  • Dev diary 6
  • Prologue (1444-1450)
  • State of the World (1450)
This fixes everything – I have more time for fixing and tweaking the converted save, the Imperium will start with a proper faction and Idea Group and we will have a First Senate Session already completed before I even release the „Prologue”, thus starting the „interactive” part of this After Action Report before any Action to Report After will happen - IMHO much better plan, although slighlty confusing, I'll admit that :) This also means that you don't really know how things work in EU4 because there wasn't a "Prologue" yet. But since there were dev diaries I think it shouldn't be a problem, especially since we're only choosing Idea Group and not deciding whether to go to war with X or not. Story-wise, the Session takes places less than 3 weeks after death of Demetrios Komnenos. Take this into consideration while playing your characters.

You are free to vote as you please but I decided that I'll share some of my thoughts concerning the first Idea Group with you :)

TVwZiL2.jpg

But these are just my thoughts - as per rules, I'll take whatever Idea Group the Senate decides is the best for the Imperium (oh dear...).

Remember the following:
  • This is the First Session – the Tutorial Session doesn't count at all and was only that, a tutorial;
  • This is the first time we're doing interactive stuff for real, so PLEASE READ THE RULES – there will be consequences for breaking them from now on;
  • As per the rules, only Factions may propose provisions to the bill – and since they are represented by Faction Leaders, this means that ONLY Faction Leaders may propose changes to the bill in the name of their Factions;
  • Voting will be slightly more complicated than the last time but don't worry, I'll explain everything either in the opening of the debate or voting.

[size=+1]To sum it up – the interactive part of „Imperium Sine Fine” starts today! :D[/size]​

Last edited: