• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Why not? Dynastoi Feud would end a little earlier than everybody expected.:p And your House would be catched in the web of intrigues and/or series of duels. :D}}

{{The President isn't the Family Patriarch, it wouldn't change a thing. Plus he wouldn't dare risk the wrath of the Komnenoi}}

((I just lose the head of one senator. Why do you want me to kill another one? :eek::eek::eek:

But being honest, I do not think @CzokletMuss will allow me to win such a duel))
{{ I may allow your character to live though... :p }}

{{See, this is what you get for not collaborating with the Blues! The Reds are no fun. I totally would have bitten Konmenos' ear off during the duel.}}

Reactions:
Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)
*He laughs to himself as Scipion hastens to back away from this offer of a duel. This generation of Scipion is far wiser than the previous one who lost his head so easily. He's a bit surprised by the appearance of the unaffiliated but it does make him a bit more relaxed, more members of the senate lessens the likelihood their host will kill them (hopefully)*

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

Ah, I apologize, President, perhaps I presumed too much when I asked you to explain the actions of the Imperial Council. After all, the permanent members are your uncle, the Patriarch of the Dalessenoi, and the head of the Navy. And about the Dalessenoi, it would be convenient to claim that he is using his position to advance his own agenda, and to claim that rebels and Angelodouloi working freely in the Imperium is part of his agenda, especially given the current state of affairs between the Komnenoi and Dalessenoi. However, this does not mean that I believe the Dalessenoi harbor no ill will, quite the opposite in fact. It was they who killed my brother and attempted to strip my House its status and possessions.

And about the inaction of my century, perhaps that will change. The Emperor, long may he reign, is having twenty-five Tagma go with him, and I can guess which ones will be asked to do so.

*Mandromenos smiles and turns to his Speaker*

It seems that I will be visiting Ravenna soon Speaker. You must give me a tour and show me the grandeur of the Italians. Perhaps it is different than my home.

President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:
Senator Marcus Aurelius Scipion (Red demes):

Of course Isaakios, of course! Please, accept my apologies. I did not pretend to offend you or your family. I know how much you did for saving the life of my uncle Honorius and I would not dare to forget it.

My dear..."friend". Could we know why are we here today? I must admit that I am really curious. Sorry for being so direct, but I guess that my Spanish hot blood controls me

- Apologies accepted. As for your question...

Isaakios strokes his beard before answering.

- I can't give you the answer before I receive one from the Red Speaker. I have a question to you all however, in the same spirit of honesty in which you asked yours. During the last session of the Senate you all declared support for megas domestikos. Why? Why would you support this snake Dalassenos?

He makes a dismissive gesture with his right hand.

- What was your motivation? Greed? Ambition? Lust for power? Fear? Or something else? Speak the truth.

- I can't give you the answer before I receive one from the Red Speaker. I have a question to you all however, in the same spirit of honesty in which you asked yours. During the last session of the Senate you all declared support for megas domestikos. Why? Why would you support this snake Dalassenos?

- What was your motivation? Greed? Ambition? Lust for power? Fear? Or something else? Speak the truth.

*At last, the opinion of the President stated openly*

Appearances. Appearances must be maintained. It is important that one makes sure to remain a warm smile until he slips a knife between his target's ribs. Let the Megas Domestikos believe that he has my support. Let him believe that his has the Senate's support. It will be a joyous occasion to see him proved wrong.

{{ I may allow your character to live though... :p }}

((You know that is not true...:D:D:D))

I did not support Dalassenos, nor pretend to support you. If I am for supporting a family, that family can only be the Angeloi...as I always have shown with my martial skills :cool: during my time in the tagmata

I support the motion because I did not see a reason not to do it. I have seen from very near the lose of a part of my family because this fight between the greats and I am sure any good person will sympathize with some one who just lose a relative.

When my uncle was murdered, we all could see how all the families, especially the dynatoi, mourned him...

((I was being ironic before with the "Komnenoi support" with Honorius dead. Marcus is wisest, but he has no sympathy at all for the dynatoi, being them Komnenos or Dalassenoi))

{{See, this is what you get for not collaborating with the Blues! The Reds are no fun. I totally would have bitten Konmenos' ear off during the duel.}}
{{No! Bad! You are not allowed to pull a Mike Tyson!}}

Senator Nikephoros II Salamis (Red Demes):

And about the inaction of my century, perhaps that will change. The Emperor, long may he reign, is having twenty-five Tagma go with him, and I can guess which ones will be asked to do so.

*Mandromenos smiles and turns to his Speaker*

It seems that I will be visiting Ravenna soon Speaker. You must give me a tour and show me the grandeur of the Italians. Perhaps it is different than my home.
*Nikephoros nods at Mandromenos' words*
Aye, as an officer I too will most probably travel to Ravenna with the Imperial army. *He grins*
Mayhaps this will become another meeting of our esteemed Demes, a way to cooperate and show that we are the true men of Rome in the Senate. And, perhaps our meagre influence will aid the House of Este-Ravenna to host this great army with no... problems. Certainly, we are not as great and wise as the Komnenoi, but surely everyone here will do his best to aid our speaker.

Esteemed President, surely it would reflect poorly upon our humble Houses and the Senate if we refuse to show support for the megas domestikos, at least in words. He is the supreme commander of the Imperial army, whether we like it or not, or express our condolences for the death of the Ecumenical Patriarch, head of our Mother Church.

{{Btw, is dekarchos the term for an officer?}}

Isaakios puts down fork and knife and nods his head before answering.

- His Imperial Majesty will be accompanied by 25,000 men strong tagmata led personally by megas domestikos, probably close to 30,000 if we count members of the court, bishops with their levies et cetera. They will travel by sea, assisted by the whole Imperial Navy. This ought to show the Italians the extent of concern of His Imperial Majesty. I agree, with you, senator Mandromenos – the outbreak of heresy must be contained. The situation would've never detoriorated so much if not for certain… supporters of Angelodouloi cause.

Isaakios smiles dryly.

- Valid concerns, all of them. The actions – or rather lack of them – of megas domestikos have caught the attention of many man. Some of them even fear that he may be acting foremost in the interest of his House and not that of the Imperium.

Komnenos point at the senators.

- What is your opinion?

Isaakios nods.

- I'm not as familiar with the inner workings of the Imperial Council as you may suspect, senator. It is my uncle who presides over the Council as megas logothetes, not me. I'm a soldier however and I can tell you this: if kentarchos of the Imperial Army allowed the enemy to roam Roman lands freely and without opposition despite having both men and resources to stop the enemy's forces...

Komnenos leans toward you.

- I would have him executed as traitor.

Isaakios looks at you with a faint smile on his face.

- I'm glad to see you here, Banoub of the House Rashid. I've heard of your deeds during the siege of Rosetta. I was told many of the Timurids' mugahidun were killed by defenders of the city despite you being outnumbered and under-equipped. You are not a Roman but you are a warrior who bled for the Imperium and that...

Isaakios rises his chalice to you.

- ...I can respect. As for the means of dealing with heretics you are obviously correct. For too long they were allowed to defy the Holy Church with impunity. This must end now.

Komnenos looks at you surprised.

- „These Komnenoi”? Careful, Marcus of the House Scipion, you may be my guest but I will not have aristos disrespecting me or my House within these walls. Do you understand?

Isaakios waves at you.

- I believe apologies are in order. Unless you would like me to seek satisfaction with other means? Hmm? It's been some time since the last time I was challenged to a duel.

Komnenos shows his teeth.

- Nobody dared. Do you, senator?

Isaakios strikes his beard before answering.

- Honored, you say. We shall see how „honored” you are when your friend megas domestikos takes command over the city and starts requisitioning supplies for the tagmata. Do you find „honor” in estates of your House being expropriated, senator? You shall find it plenty then.

Komnenos scowls at Red Speaker.

- But I'm glad you've touched this subject. Before we talk I want you to anwer one question – are you a man of your word, Red Speaker?

Senator Alexios Este-Ravenna (Red Demes Speaker):

Alexios weighs his words carefully, more carefully than usual. His feelings on the Dynatoi feud can be summed up as "a pox on both their houses" but of course that is not something he can proclaim here.

"But of course, President. The Red Demes live to serve Rome, in war and peace. The Dynatoi are not the only ones to understand the notion of honor, esteemed President.
As to the vote... I am loyal to Rome, and the senseless attacks on the Archbishop and Patriarch offend the sensibilities of all true Romans. In times of battle one does not let mere ambition or personal feelings interfere in the chain of command... before or after the battle is the time to bring such questions to bear. The Imperium is beset on all sides by foes, the last thing we need is a foe from within, which is why I remain adamantly opposed to the heresy of the Angeloduli. If as Senator Rashid suggests they can be redeemed by repenting and placing their numbers in service to the Imperium then so much the better, but if not they are to be crushed without mercy or hesitation. During the Session one senator suggested that we let these Angeloduli embark upon a war with some heathen foe, the Pisans or the Mohammedans or the Xenoi. Such a proposal has much merits- let the heretics and heathens slaughter each other! Sophia can hardly object if she bears any loyalty to Rome or her August kinsman."

Isaakios listens to your responses unfazed.

Appearances. Appearances must be maintained. It is important that one makes sure to remain a warm smile until he slips a knife between his target's ribs. Let the Megas Domestikos believe that he has my support. Let him believe that his has the Senate's support. It will be a joyous occasion to see him proved wrong.
He nods towards senator Mandromenos with no trace of smile on his face.

- Then we have nothing to discuss. You may finish your meal and then I'll have to ask you to leave.

I did not support Dalassenos, nor pretend to support you. If I am for supporting a family, that family can only be the Angeloi...as I always have shown with my martial skills during my time in the tagmata

I support the motion because I did not see a reason not to do it. I have seen from very near the lose of a part of my family because this fight between the greats and I am sure any good person will sympathize with some one who just lose a relative.

When my uncle was murdered, we all could see how all the families, especially the dynatoi, mourned him...
Komnenos raises his chalice towards you.

- An honest answer from an honest man. You have my sympathies, senator. What Dalassenos did to your uncle was great injustice. His death may yet be avenged...
Senator Nikephoros II Salamis (Red Demes):
Esteemed President, surely it would reflect poorly upon our humble Houses and the Senate if we refuse to show support for the megas domestikos, at least in words. He is the supreme commander of the Imperial army, whether we like it or not, or express our condolences for the death of the Ecumenical Patriarch, head of our Mother Church.
Isaakios points at senator Salamis.

- Empty words. Is this all your House have to offer, senator? If so than I'm afraid we have little to talk about. I asked for an honest answer – don't let me wait too long, I'm not known to be a patient man.
"But of course, President. The Red Demes live to serve Rome, in war and peace. The Dynatoi are not the only ones to understand the notion of honor, esteemed President.
As to the vote... I am loyal to Rome, and the senseless attacks on the Archbishop and Patriarch offend the sensibilities of all true Romans. In times of battle one does not let mere ambition or personal feelings interfere in the chain of command... before or after the battle is the time to bring such questions to bear. The Imperium is beset on all sides by foes, the last thing we need is a foe from within, which is why I remain adamantly opposed to the heresy of the Angeloduli. If as Senator Rashid suggests they can be redeemed by repenting and placing their numbers in service to the Imperium then so much the better, but if not they are to be crushed without mercy or hesitation. During the Session one senator suggested that we let these Angeloduli embark upon a war with some heathen foe, the Pisans or the Mohammedans or the Xenoi. Such a proposal has much merits- let the heretics and heathens slaughter each other! Sophia can hardly object if she bears any loyalty to Rome or her August kinsman.
Komnenos looks at Red Speaker in silence for a moment.

– So you deny that you swore allegience to Dalassenoi? You deny that you have bent the knee before megas domestikos Nikephoros of the House Dalassenos? Answer me, Red Speaker. Did you or did you not give your word?

{{Well that's it. I'm dead. So, how will you handle regencies, my heir will be way too young to participate in the next Session}}

{{Well that's it. I'm dead. So, how will you handle regencies, my heir will be way too young to participate in the next Session}}

((Perhaps you are just tortured and can go to the next session:D:D:D))

Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

**Leon watches the Reds making their excuses. He looks at Komnenos and shrugs as he responds.*

"I care little for the Dalassenoi, they are far too content to let the bands of rebels and heretics run rampant in the Imperium while they pursue their own selfish interests.

In the previous session the Dalassenoi was reckless and nearly obliterated two houses. In the senate hall, it was clear the senate as a whole was arrayed to support the Dalassenoi. Why make a powerless gesture to oppose the Dalassenoi when I am a single senator who's home is threatened by the ravages of Mongol rebels?
If you wish to offer an alternative to the Dalassenoi, I will listen eagerly to any such proposal."

Isaakios listens to your responses unfazed.

He nods towards senator Mandromenos with no trace of smile on his face.

- Then we have nothing to discuss. You may finish your meal and then I'll have to ask you to leave.

Komnenos raises his chalice towards you.

- An honest answer from an honest man. You have my sympathies, senator. What Dalassenos did to your uncle was great injustice. His death may yet be avenged...

Isaakios points at senator Salamis.

- Empty words. Is this all your House have to offer, senator? If so than I'm afraid we have little to talk about. I asked for an honest answer – don't let me wait too long, I'm not known to be a patient man.

Komnenos looks at Red Speaker in silence for a moment.

– So you deny that you swore allegience to Dalassenoi? You deny that you have bent the knee before megas domestikos Nikephoros of the House Dalassenos? Answer me, Red Speaker. Did you or did you not give your word?

**Typical Dynatoi. Too concerned with their own advancement to hold allegiance to Rome. What did it matter who held office, so long as they were competent?**
"I bent the knee to the Megas Domestikos twenty years ago, out of respect for his station and the rank bestowed upon him by the Emperor, and swore that I would serve his office to the best of my capacity. A soldier must obey his superiors regardless of his feelings on the matter or else there is chaos. What reason would I have to not to offer service to the Imperially appointed commander of the army? Dalassenoi, Komnenoi, your rivalry is no concern of mine, so long as the army is allowed to do its duty. At the time I saw no reason to object to the Domestiko's demands, but now, as he has proven himself spineless and unwilling to respond to heresy? I will gladly hear your proposal, President, if you are done impugning my honor."

{{Question is Nikephoros Dalassenos still technically excommunicated?}}
Senator Petrus Wedrovander (Red Dems):
Look at this. I must admit that I wasn't prepared for the Komnenos to be looking for an alliance withing the senate. So those wild rumors of the Dyantoi trying to take over were true. Well this looks like a wonderful opportunity to...Petrus stops that line of thought with an iron fist of a statement. No we will not back stab for power like those foul beasts who murdered my father. I will not cave to the devil's words. I will not...

*Este-Ravenna's words come forth*

"Alexios Este-Ravenna you don't say. Please tell you didn't try to sell out our honorable dems to the like of the Dalassenos who has proven himself not but a tyrant and dishonorable to the peoples of Roma who now dwell so much under warlords of the sword? Do you not have the tiniest wisdom to avoid such a foolish endeavor?"

Petrus then turns to Isaakios. "I know not the game afoot but throughout my fathers lines many a force has attempted to buy our vote in the senate. To it we have always answered no and nay to those. If there are now factions and or men who serve something other than God or the Imperator tell so that I may ready my sword and to cut them from the power that they have been given. I will endeavor to cut out of this senate those who think to turn her into a whore. I will do this even to my death. And if all of this is true Dalassenos is none other than a usurper in disguise. He must not be allowed to attend or have power in the synod that is to come." Petrus declared.

((Perhaps you are just tortured and can go to the next session:D:D:D))

{{Oh, because that worked out so well for me last time}}