The Insane Tyrant
- Feb 3, 2015
Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):President of the Senate Isaakios Komnenos:
Suddenly what you think was just another part of the wall moves – a hidden postern opens and Isaakios Komnenos enters the room, followed by two guardsmen and the eunuch. He no longer wears the robes of the President of the Senate – instead you see him in red doublet with white shirt underneath and black tabard. The tabard is adorned with intricate golden pattern and you can see a beautiful penannular silver brooch adorned with rubies, shaped like the Komnenos eagle. You notice something different about him – his beard is no longer red but black with patches of henna. As he approaches the table, Isaakios waves at you with gloved left hand.
- Senators. You must excuse my bad manners, I bring news from the Sacred Palace.
Isaakios is much older (the man is in his 30s and Isaakios is in late 40s-early 50s) and doesn't wear a hat but besides this that's how he looks
The eunuch steps before him and moves the chair away, allowing his master to take a seat. Isaakios stops however – still standing, he starts to remove his gloves and cast them at the table while adressing you.
- The heresy of Angelodoulism continues to spread. More and more of the Italian hoi polloi join her followers every day.
He leans on the table, now with his hands ungloved.
- Therefore it was decided that the Synodos will be convened in Ravenna and His Imperial Majesty himself is going to preside over it. Sophia Angelos shall be summoned before the Emperor r to renounce or reaffirm her teachings. Such is the will of the Throne.
Isaakios waves at the eunuch and while he pours wine in golden chalice Komnenos gazes at each and every senator, pausing for a moment at the Red Speaker. Then he raises the chalice in a toast and speaks.
- For the Emperor. Long may he reign.
Isaakios empties the chalice quickly and finally takes a seat.
- I have invited you here and you arrived. Good.
He points at Red Speaker.
- As you can certainly imagine, I had a purpose in doing so. We shall not waste time on pleasantries or flattery at this table. I have no patience for such things. I am your host and you are my guests however, so please, enjoy your meals. One should not discuss politics on an empty stomach.
The President of the Senate gives a sign to the eunuch who pours him more wine. The servants approach you, ready to serve beverages or meals of your choosing.
*Despite his opposition, a chalice of water and a plate of bread is laid before Mandromenos. The servants wanted to obey their master after all*
I have already eaten, I'm afraid, but I do appreciate your hospitality. You have proved to be an accommodating host.
It is good that the Emperor is going to be present at the Synod. One of the attendants are Angeloi and as their patriarch, he alone can judge her. May the wisdom of the LORD guide his words on that day.
I am concerned though about the number of Rebels in the area. There are more of them in northern Italia than soldiers in the Imperium. But I presume that the Emperor already has an answer for that.
The Angelodouloi need to be stopped, they have gained too much too quickly. They have a supporter among the greatest of men who appears to seek to marginalize the Church with this new heresy and break the one thing that binds all Romans together.