• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

The goals of the Army are to protect the Imperium from threats within and without.We have been plagued with the former in recent times. If we can solve the issue of rebellion here, we can focus on other matters, like the continued reconquest of Hispania for the Imperium. The decisions we make today may influence the course of this rebellion. I fear that I must disagree with your opinion that this business is worthless of our time. But perhaps you are right, we need a change to bring the Imperium back to glory.

Anyways, loyal men are in short supply and having a great force in a secured area is counterproductive to the destruction of the rebels. Perhaps in a few more years when this bankruptcy is a forgotten ill, we can strike out at them. Perhaps this is a shortcoming of our esteemed Megas Domestikos. There is one thing to consider though, these Angelodouloi couldn't have gained the ground they have, especially in Aegyptus, without aid from one of the great dynatoi houses. The primary agents for this would be the Dalessenoi and the Komnenoi. Personally, I find the support of the Dalessenoi of a synod with the Lightbringer present and the failures of the Black Tagma under orders from the Megas Domestikos to be most suspicious. What say you my fellow Reds?
Senator Petrus Wedrovander(Red Demes):

"I believe as much as behavior is suspicious I don't see that we have the power to push back against these... powers without suitable power in return. Meaning if the senate could act as one in concert and yet play a double game then I would suggest to do so. However I believe that there are those with loyalties in all directions other than the senate it self. Therefore the pragmatic thing is to gain support of the other Dynatoi families and attempt a fight from thence. Because you know what the ahem... forces that try to manipulate us think of us. Yet the true question is where is the Imperator in all of this? Where is his majesty so that we may coordinate with yet more superior power? I wouldn't think that the Imperator would be blind to all this yet where is his hand? I fear that the senate is liken to a ship not on the water but underneath and the sea beasts glower from all sides. Yet somehow the lich pin in all of this is none other than the senate. Yet once more I must say I fear for our future. If only we could combine a large enough force to be actually a power to defend from these fiends at the door.

*Nikephoros quickly catches up with Senator Raoul*
Senator Raoul! Ioannes! I was hoping for a word. Our houses have been ever close, great Hadrianos has been the truest friend of my ancestor Anastasios, and your kin Valerios sheltered in castle Salamis for months. He was a friend... I was deeply saddened by his death. In my opinion, our houses need to strengthen those ties. My wife, of the house Hvide, gave me a daughter not too long ago. She already shows signals of being a quite bright child. I would be honored if you agreed to betroth young Lord Raoul to her, to create strong ties again, but I will understand it if you would prefer to wait, make sure she grows comely and bright enough. However, until such time as they both reached adulthood, I would be glad if our houses can be partners in Aegean trade again, as of old. I am sure that the Raoul trade company suffered grave blows like the Salamis one- ours was completely shut down... Until now. This could prove a good source of income, if we combine our resources to work together. What say you?

Senator Ioannes Raoul :
"Senator Salamis, I don't think we have spoken before but my cousin Valerios spoke highly of you who was here even during the direst moment of his life. A shame he had to suffer at the hands of the hoi polloi again, during the December revolt. I will gladly accept your proposal. Who knows what may happen until both of his children access adulthood but I will gladly support such a union.
As for trade things are dire for both of our families. Valerios was competent in these matters, but ... his condition did not allow him to rebuild his relations amongst the merchants of Konstantinopolis. I have spent 40 years in a monastery before accessing to these positions and I have yet to fully understand trade. Consider the Raoul as your friends as we ever were, be it at home or in trade.
I'll just ask you to be prudent. You have announced your disagrements with Arrius and I am glad for it. Diabolos is always there, tempting even the most Christians. Remember it always."

*He receives the letter of the Speaker*

"You will excuse me but the Whites' Speaker is calling me. May we meet again and our houses prosper"

*He goes to Pylaeus*

"You called for me Speaker ? It seems you are waiting for the other Whites. May I ask you a favor ?"

{{Will there be events/decisions to integrate colonial Abyssinia and/or Africa should we reestablish a land connection?}}

{{Will there be events/decisions to integrate colonial Abyssinia and/or Africa should we reestablish a land connection?}}
{{I didn't write any but this is a good idea, I may do this.}}

Mandator of the Sacred Palace:

An eunuch enters the peristyle - one of the mandatores no doubt, as you can tell judging by his outfit, carrying messages through the labyrinth of palaces, gardens, halls and corridors which the Sacred Palace is composed of. The eunuch approaches senator Decius Pylaeus and bows deeply.

- May Iesus Kristos blesses you, lilustrious White Speaker. I bring you a message from the Palace of Megas Domestikos.

He bows again and hand over a sealed letter to you, awaiting further instructions.

{{ @ThetrueColt }}

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White demes)

*He goes to Pylaeus*

"You called for me Speaker ? It seems you are waiting for the other Whites. May I ask you a favor ?"

Of course, we still need to wait for our other members anways. How can I help you?

An eunuch enters the peristyle - one of the mandatores no doubt, as you can tell judging by his outfit, carrying messages through the labyrinth of palaces, gardens, halls and corridors which the Sacred Palace is composed of. The eunuch approaches senator Decius Pylaeus and bows deeply.

- May Iesus Kristos blesses you, lilustrious White Speaker. I bring you a message from the Palace of Megas Domestikos.

He bows again and hand over a sealed letter to you, awaiting further instructions.

{{ @ThetrueColt }}

*Decius takes the letter and opens it.*

Senator Petrus Wedrovander(Red Demes):

"I believe as much as behavior is suspicious I don't see that we have the power to push back against these... powers without suitable power in return. Meaning if the senate could act as one in concert and yet play a double game then I would suggest to do so. However I believe that there are those with loyalties in all directions other than the senate it self. Therefore the pragmatic thing is to gain support of the other Dynatoi families and attempt a fight from thence. Because you know what the ahem... forces that try to manipulate us think of us. Yet the true question is where is the Imperator in all of this? Where is his majesty so that we may coordinate with yet more superior power? I wouldn't think that the Imperator would be blind to all this yet where is his hand? I fear that the senate is liken to a ship not on the water but underneath and the sea beasts glower from all sides. Yet somehow the lich pin in all of this is none other than the senate. Yet once more I must say I fear for our future. If only we could combine a large enough force to be actually a power to defend from these fiends at the door.

The Emperor has no time to give to the scurrying of insects at his feet. As the dynatoi consider us no better than the common swine, they are but gnats to him. Nay, the Emperor focuses strictly on the greatest of threats, the Rebellion and stability of the Imperium, the actions of the Horde, Xenoi, and other threats, and the advancement of our technology so he can guarantee both. He knows, but the dynatoi stand as much chance against his as an ant against a bear. It is of no concern to him. We must seek out allies of our own to have a chance, or be destroyed as an enemy to all. I do not trust the Dalessenoi to give us that chance, but the Komnenoi might. Perhaps we should follow our friend Este-Ravenna and hear what our President has to offer?

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Out of respect, Magnus averts his eyes from the letter.*
"Well, I am aware my opinion is... unpopular at the moment. I have spoken with my Demes' Speaker, and I was hoping to have the Whites' pledge that Lady Sophia be called here politely. We must remember she is a member of the royal family, and she should be respected both for her status and her work bringing people together during the Plague. Arresting her, dragging her here in chains... the thought disgusts me. Can I have your word, Senator Pylaeus?"

{{@ThetrueColt}}

Of course, we still need to wait for our other members anways. How can I help you?

Senator Ioannes Raoul : (the Whites)

"As you may know I am the tutor of the son of my cousin Valerios, who died in the December riot. He is a charming little boy but I fear that my lack of connection and my isolation after all these years spent in a monastery would make me unable to educate him properly. Thus I ask of you if you could foster him once he is old enough to be sent abroad. Your family is known for its protection of knowledge and your connections in the Pandadikterion are numerous. I could understand of course if you refused."

*He watches as the messenger of the Dalassenoi brings a letter. Dynatoi weremoving in the shadows once again and he was wise enough to not take too much part in these affairs.*

{{Just a suggestion, I'm not taking any action yet. Besides, the Kentarchos wouldn't strike out at one of his fellow Kentarchoi now would he? As a very loose associate of our President (under the command of a vocal supporter), I may get a chance to explain myself, especially if I seek an alliance against the one who killed my brother.}}

*Decius takes the letter and opens it.*
You open the letter and read it:
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti,
His Excellency Megas Domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos sends his regards to noble Decius of the House Pylaeus, Speaker of the White Demes.
His Excellency hopes to soon meet with you and members of the White Demes in order to discuss matters concerning the Imperial Senate.
See to your health and beware the false friends.

Acta non verba.

Signed,
strategos Nokas of the tagma Makedonia

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Out of respect, Magnus averts his eyes from the letter.*
"Well, I am aware my opinion is... unpopular at the moment. I have spoken with my Demes' Speaker, and I was hoping to have the Whites' pledge that Lady Sophia be called here politely. We must remember she is a member of the royal family, and she should be respected both for her status and her work bringing people together during the Plague. Arresting her, dragging her here in chains... the thought disgusts me. Can I have your word, Senator Pylaeus?"

{{@ThetrueColt}}

I think you mistake the place I am in. While the Senate does decide about the apprehension or the invitation of Sophia Angelos, as a faction speaker I do not have any control about the forces that will protect or seize her. Personally, I'd like her to be brought alive, without any great injuries. She deserves the respect that is due for any Angelos. But I cannot give you more than that.

Senator Ioannes Raoul : (the Whites)

"As you may know I am the tutor of the son of my cousin Valerios, who died in the December riot. He is a charming little boy but I fear that my lack of connection and my isolation after all these years spent in a monastery would make me unable to educate him properly. Thus I ask of you if you could foster him once he is old enough to be sent abroad. Your family is known for its protection of knowledge and your connections in the Pandadikterion are numerous. I could understand of course if you refused."

*He watches as the messenger of the Dalassenoi brings a letter. Dynatoi weremoving in the shadows once again and he was wise enough to not take too much part in these affairs.*

An unexpected request. I will take the boy in. This is unprecedented, but I would do my utmost to educate the boy as well as my own two sons. If you are still okay with it, I will take care of this task and I swear to do everything I can to raise the boy well.

*After reading the letter, Decius walks away from the other Senators together with the Mandator and writes up an answer.*

To the esteemed strategos Nokas of the tagma Makedonia,

I can assure you and His Excellency that the white demes does its utmost to act as a beacon of progress and loyalty in these wavering times.
I would be delighted to meet up with His Excellency soon.

Ita ius esto.

Signed,
Decius Pylaeus, Faction Speaker of the White Demes

"See that this letter is delivered back to the palace of the Megas Domestikos. I don't need to tell you to be discreet, I guess? Good."

{{ @CzokletMuss }}

*After reading the letter, Decius walks away from the other Senators together with the Mandator and writes up an answer.*
Eunuch takes the letter and bows.

- I shall deliver your message, illustrious Speaker.

He turns around and leaves the peristyle.

I understand your fear.

*Philaretos turns to the sun to see its position, the recess is almost over. Este-Ravenna still hasn't given the Kentarchos his answer.*

Alas, sometimes the hand of Fate must be forced

Kentarchos, since my Speaker seems to be unable to give an answer, I will give one in his stead.

If the illustrious President believes that his words are too valuable to lose due to one man's passivity, tell him that I will meet with him so they can be heard by the Reds. I apologize of my forwardness and mean no insult, but there is little time until the recess is over and this may be important.

{{What to do with an inactive speaker...}}

Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes):

*Belissarios was standing in the corner of the area, contemplating the situation. He did not have to speak much during the debate, as most of the senators agreed with him - at least the senators in his faction. The Arrius man was clearly insane, and the lombard di Capponi was clearly not to be trusted. But there was something about Senator Colombo that he didn't quite trust... He wasn't really sure why, it may be his demeanor, or perhaps his general appearance - he reminds Belissarios of a wolf. And the strange smell earlier - it reminded him of beef, but there was something off about it.*

*It took Belissarios a good five minutes to notice the eunuch next to him with the letter. He took and opened the letter, and then went to Senator Pylaeus.*

"Yes, Senator Pylaeus? What would you like to talk about?"
{{@ThetrueColt}}

{{@luciusmalfoy012 It really gives a new meaning to "do you want a piece of me", doesn't it?}}

{{ Little advice - when you use tagging you must insert start with "@" sign, then write first letters of the user's nickname and then choose the nickname from the list. ;) }}