• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@CzokletMuss , I am whishing to know what the President of the Senate thinks about what is happening in the Senate. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:))
{{ I'm on the phone right now, I'll post something later but generally -> o_0

@luciusmalfoy012 - include your demes after your senator's name at the beginning of every in-character post please }}

Reactions:
{{Somewhere (probably in Poland) sits a Czoklet and either cries his eyes out or is laughing his ass off about all this circus. I'm not sure if all of this isn't to much for an AAR but it sure as hell is entertaining. And if the Imperium dies it's all our fault.

Edit: Ninjaed by the Czoklet himself.}}

Reactions:
Senator Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

*Leon leaps out of Honorius's embrace with the same urgency as if Honorius were trying to stab Leon. He holds his cane rather defensively, then
he speaks but his voice is more muted than usual by his mask*

"Friend, I appreciate your joy but perhaps it is best if you return to your seat and make sure that Alexandros is properly restrained."

Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of the Roman Far East (Blue Demes):

"ENOUGH!"

That was the voice with the loud clarity of one who has to yell to others travelling with him in windswept planes. This was a voice the soft-spoken Mongol only used for his horse, or for Bubba's old ride, Mister Humpy. Bishop Dooley was particularly incensced at the petty jab Scipion had made with that last comment. His body ached severely as he threw his old frame up to the standing position. He returned to his normal voice as he shook severely trying to stand without prepping his body to be hoisted onto two feet. He found his balance and began.

"Scion, do you not know why these men are masked? There is a great plague spreading through the known and unknown world, and you castize them for taking cautions?! -and me, you criticize me for my dress? I you haven't gone to a church in a while, have you? You act like it. I'm a Bishop of the True Faith and these are my VESTMENTS. I will NOT dishonor myself in these halls by stripping off the clothes that represent my servitude to God and His Bride just because some racist is mad that the holy Imperior can see beyond slanted eyes! Maybe you should consider the fact that I'm in here that I am not a threat?!"

The bishop sat down before his knees gave out from under him. That was a very painful experience for his back and arms.

"The idea that the Church would experience pain under a Chang levied on them is ludicrous, and more ludicrous still is that a man would enter these chambers in disguise without being searched! What sort of Tenger-darned heathen of an assassin would come in dressed like one? Even the Lords of the Sky, those assassins who have tried to kill me and my family since before I could ride, aren't arrogant enough to do that!
No, I do not support undressing these people to satisfy your paranoia! If there is a traitor among us, I trust that God will provide, if He is so willing!"

Senator Alexandros Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*Alexandros would laugh if he could. The chains binding him are enough to ensure that he won't be doing anything to anyone. He remembers that he is hungry and very thirsty, the water earlier wasn't enough. Perhaps Columbo would be kind enough to help him*

Senator Duilius Arrius (Blue Demes):
*Duilius shakes his head at the pitiful behavior of the Senators. For the first time since his father was interrogated, Duilius believes himself to be among more fools than his father dealt with.*

"Gentlemen! Control yourselves. We are the advisers of the Augustus! Our wisdom is suppose to aid the Imperium toward prosperity! We cannot fall apart, now or ever. Senator Colombo, save your search for the recess, we have more important matters to discuss."

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Vice President of the Imperial Senate, Faction Speaker of the White Demes):

There, on another side of the dais, behind the desk sat Vice President of the Senate – Decius Pylaeus, the White Speaker, one of the handful senators who survived the Plague. When His Imperial Majesty Basileios III issued decree reforming the Senate over 10 years ago and created the office of the Vice President Nikephoros was sceptic. After all, who were the senators if not small aristoi from minor Houses, merchants and foreigners, upstarts of lowly origin? And there he was, sitting on ebony chair on the same level as his better. But – Nikephoros forced himself not to smile – not for long.

Sitting on his elevated position in the Magnaura, Decius evaluates the unfolding senate session in his mind:
Dalassenos did not change at all. 20 years ago, he was a stubborn, egocentric and yet aspiring dynatoi who became President of the Senate just because of the prestige attached to the title. His demeanour made it clear that he still thought the senators would just "go away" at some point in time. What a mindless fool. If anything, the power of the aristoi has risen. The title of Vice president given to the speaker of the ruling faction is further prove of that. On top of that, Decius lived through everything that had happened and Dalassenos' mind apparently manages to hide that fact from him, since he still believes that the senate is not here to last. Anything that is to be expected from this man are empty words and false smiles - in that regard, he is a welcome addition to these historic halls.

As the discourse takes its start, Decius is more and more outraged at the behaviour of the senators. They apparently think the halls of Magnaura are the circus maximus, where everyone can try his best to outperform his competition to become the best clown of Konstantinoupolis. The President apparently takes this as a given. This is one of the most devastating blows to the Imperium - all able-bodied men of some aristoi families were wiped out, leaving only the lucky trash kin behind. And now we have to deal with them in the Senate. If we cannot contain their pestering influence, the Imperium may have yet a lot more to lose.

---
Even though this is the biggest concern for the session, the complete lack of action from Imperial institutions considering di Capponi's arrival in the Magnaura is equally terrible. Something needs to be done about him.

Oh you who would never harm me. *Lodovico throws a glare only Decius Pylaeus could see*

How does he know that we were after him? Apparently nothing happened to him, nor did anyone actually do something. He was not present when I ordered his arrest, so what is his problem? The Imperial Army and Navy are utterly incompetent. The only ones who are capable are the Athanatoi and the Varangian Guard, as it seems. Let's see what my new position in these halls is good for. Also, Dalassenos will not be pleased, so only good can come of this.

"Esteemed senators, honoured friends. The Imperium faces a time of great turmoil and instability. Using the temporary inability of our beloved realm, the wicked and traitorous infaltrate our ranks for their demonic reasons. There is one among us who stands out as a traitor to the Augustus and Iesos Kristos himself - and that is Senator di Capponi. He was discovered as a Pisan collaborator towards the end of the white faction meeting. I cannot say what dark magic he used to elude the Imperial forces that were after him - but coming to this place will be your undoing, traitor. Using my authority as the vice president of the Imperial Senate and acting according to Article 40 of the Senatorial legislatorium I encourage the esteemed President Dalassenos to convene the Tribunal of the Senate to judge Senator di Capponi. He has to defend himself from the charges of blasphemy, conspiring with the enemy Pisa, worshipping dark gods, defying Saint Markos and the blessed Autokrator as well as high treason against the Imperium. What do you say, revered President?" {{ @CzokletMuss :That's what you get for leaving us with a cliffhanger and not resolving it later on.}}

*Dalassenos seems to be overwhelmed by surprise, so Decius decides to tackle some other topics as well.*

Let us throw down our old stereotypes, the old hatred between the factions- let us cooperate for the good of the Imperium!

"Your words are chosen wisely, and it brings great sadness upon me to say that they reach so few willing ears. Senators Taurinus, Melissenos, Salamis and Arrius - together we can try to better the Imperium. Fret not - the fools and madmen will receive their divine punishment. I look forward to working together with all of you."

*Decius nods to the mentiones senators, and adds a firendly smile once his gaze falls upon the fellow white Melissenos.*

Do I have the support of my fellow Senators in this motion?

"You certainly do not have mine, blue speaker. Your appearance might pale in comparison to some other presences, but trustworthy is not how you appear to be."

Guards, take senator Azizid under chains immediately as Senator Colombo has suggested!

Decius does not show a reaction to this, because he is interested to see if the guards will actually react to it.

"As far as the actual topics at hand are concerned, I want to make my points clear to open up the debate and to live it up a little:

Reform of the imperial administration (National Focus)

- "We clearly need to bloster our administrative capabilities. If this institution would have let the white demes come into power sooner, we would not have to face this dire situation now. Like a single drop of water on a hot stone, what little we could do was only enough to easen the burden a little. If we want to continue on our path towards prosperity and stability, we need to focus our ressourced on administrative matters."

1. Imperial Navy – mothballing all fleets (budget ) - "The fleet has proven time and time again that it's only benefits are the transportation of our legions and the raiding of Xenoi trade. So I support the mothballing of any non-trading and non-transporting (and thus all combat) vessels."
  2. Exarchates – raising tariffs (subjects) - "The recently established semi-independent exarchates are not supporting the mainland properly enough. They need to do more if they want the light of Rome to shine upon them! I support this proposal."
  3. Expropriation of the Jews (decision) - "The Jews are our only alternative to the Pisan banks. By driving them away, we open up our desolate currency to corrupt Pisan influences. I will not support the benefit of Pisa."
  4. Enlisting privateers (decision) - "We need every basilikon we can get hold off to balance our budget, so I support this measure as it benefits us while hurting our enemies without presenting an opportunity of direct aggression towards them."
  5. Seizure of lands of the Holy Church (decision) - "The times are hard and I can understand that the stability of the church is something many of you envy. However, destroying one of the last functioning pillars of our realm does not help anyone who truly wants to save the Imperium. For what can we do with some money if the rabble loses its faith? How can you think to stabilize something while actively dismantling it? The church ist a vital part of the Imperium. I cannot see myself helping to tear it down, for I am a servant to Rome, first and foremost."
*After finishing his long speech, Decius sits down behind his desk.*

{{
{{Somewhere (probably in Poland) sits a Czoklet and either cries his eyes out or is laughing his ass off about all this circus. I'm not sure if all of this isn't to much for an AAR but it sure as hell is entertaining. And if the Imperium dies it's all our fault.}}

Don't be so harsh on yourself mate. It's just on all the mad characters. We get all the fun of pointing fingers afterwards, so it's all fine by me.
}}

Last edited:
Reactions:

"ENOUGH!"

That was the voice with the loud clarity of one who has to yell to others travelling with him in windswept planes. This was a voice the soft-spoken Mongol only used for his horse, or for Bubba's old ride, Mister Humpy. Bishop Dooley was particularly incensced at the petty jab Scipion had made with that last comment. His body ached severely as he threw his old frame up to the standing position. He returned to his normal voice as he shook severely trying to stand without prepping his body to be hoisted onto two feet. He found his balance and began.

"Scion, do you not know why these men are masked? There is a great plague spreading through the known and unknown world, and you castize them for taking cautions?! -and me, you criticize me for my dress? I you haven't gone to a church in a while, have you? You act like it. I'm a Bishop of the True Faith and these are my VESTMENTS. I will NOT dishonor myself in these halls by stripping off the clothes that represent my servitude to God and His Bride just because some racist is mad that the holy Imperior can see beyond slanted eyes! Maybe you should consider the fact that I'm in here that I am not a threat?!"

The bishop sat down before his knees gave out from under him. That was a very painful experience for his back and arms.

"The idea that the Church would experience pain under a Chang levied on them is ludicrous, and more ludicrous still is that a man would enter these chambers in disguise without being searched! What sort of Tenger-darned heathen of an assassin would come in dressed like one? Even the Lords of the Sky, those assassins who have tried to kill me and my family since before I could ride, aren't arrogant enough to do that!
No, I do not support undressing these people to satisfy your paranoia! If there is a traitor among us, I trust that God will provide, if He is so willing!"

Senator Honorius Scipion (Red demes):

"You are right senator Azizid. If the own Emperor has decided that a family of ra...like yours can be in the Senate to advice him who am I to discuss it?"

*Honorius starts walking to Senator Azizid´s seat to shake his hand. Then he comes back running to his place, scared by the movement of one guard surely warned of Scipion harming Azizid in some way. While he comes back tears come back to his eyes what does not allow him to see the chair´s leg and he trips over again, hitting the backside of his head this time and letting him unconscious for some minutes in the middle of the Senate´s floor...

Senator Alexius Colombo:

"Do not bother with Azidid. If he was going to kill the Blues, he would have done so on the ship. I can vouch for his innocence, and his *excellent* judgement of character."

*Alexius then turns to Lazaros and begins observing him. He had an odd, light gait, and such a soft voice, and such fluidity of movements. The perfect prey animal. He would dig deeper, yes, yes indeed.*

"Lazaros, if any of us here have the plague, and what my good friend Azidid has told me about the nature of the disease is true...

Then we are all already dead men. Besides, what is there to hide?"

{{lol I actually forgot all about our female senator, this just makes the WITCHUNT even more intense, since there's actual stakes behind it all }}

Senator Iskandar Ouranos (White Demes)

*Iskandar had been quiet thus far, watching the noble institution of the Senate crumble into chaos as madmen ruled it with their nonsense and blabbering. The elderly Senator sighs as he watches those with possible hidden agendas hide their intention behind coloured phrases of loyalty. Pah! What lies. Iskandar listens intently as Pylaeus speaks with authority in a room filled mostly with infants, he decides to speak up after the latter, using his cane to get up from his seat to stand.*

Esteemed President, I second the motion of Senator Pylaeus for the rightful judgement of Senator Capponi.

*He sends a glare at the madman.*

As for the propositions of the very same Senator Pylaeus, I see much wisdom in them and will henceforth completely support them.

Last edited:
Senator Decius Pylaeus (Vice President of the Imperial Senate, Faction Speaker of the White Demes):

*Decius allows himself an affirming and thankful nod towards Senator Ouranos.*

"It is invaluable to know you on my side, old friend."

Senator Alexios Este-Ravenna (Red Demes):

*Leon looks around for Este Ravenna to rally their faction before anyone else has a mental breakdown.
Taurinus adjust his mask as he stands before speaking in his usual muffled voice*

"When my honored ancestor Decius had the honor of being part of the first Imperial senate we made the mistake of trusting the Blues on policies and half of Taurica was invaded and many members of my house were slaughtered by an invasion led by the Mongol Horde. "
*He looks pointedly under his mask at Azizid*
I consider it a fair use of caution to be wary of the proposals of Blues and Mongols.

"However, it seems that if indeed there is support among the church leaders for such a move then perhaps it does have some merit. I simply fear further divisions and chaos being sparked in the Imperium by those who might see such a move as an attack on the Church. At this dark hour to call on the Church for aid is good, but to make ousrelves their enemy by attacking them would be folly and has the potential to lead to civil war.
Above all my interest is that the Imperium is able to deal with the many enemies who surround us without causing more problems.

*He looks back to Scipion after sitting down again and speaks in a low muffled voice*
"I understand your pain friend, my family has bled for centuries against the Horde, and so many of these Blues make me uneasy about their intentions for the Imperium. We must remain strong and united and resist the madness of despair."

Alexios leans in to speak with Senator Taurinus.
"A Pisan and a Mongol say to take from the Church's lands and Romans listen to them? The Reds allied with the Blue Demes before, and where has it led us? It is all well and good to speak of compromise, but to what end? Are we to undercut the Church whilst heresy spreads in Anatolia? I am not convinced that this proposed scheme would be as
harmless as it is made out to be.... yet I would consider a deal. If the Blue Demes would pledge their full support to our faction's goals, and support administrative reforms then I would consider confiscating Church lands..."

Senator Honorius Scipion (Red demes):

"You are right senator Azizid. If the own Emperor has decided that a family of ra...like yours can be in the Senate to advice him who am I to discuss it?"

*Honorius starts walking to Senator Azizid´s seat to shake his hand. Then he comes back running to his place, scared by the movement of one guard surely warned of Scipion harming Azizid in some way. While he comes back tears come back to his eyes what does not allow him to see the chair´s leg and he trips over again, hitting the backside of his head this time and letting him unconscious for some minutes in the middle of the Senate´s floor...

Senator Alexandros Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*Alexandros sees Scipion fall unconscious. Perhaps he won't get hit again anytime soon. Now to achieve other matters. He attempts to attract the attention of the other Reds, being calm but making muffled words to get them to remove the gag*

Lazaros II. Melissenos (White Demes)

*Lazaros is fixing his look at Colombo. The man could be dangerous. He takes a side glance towards Speaker Pylaeus, finding him a supporter, althought would he still do it if he would know...? Lazaros looks back at Colombo and takes a deep breath, knowing what he will say next will probably let hell braking lose... again. But ignoring his questions and change the topic might be just right.*

Expelling the Jews and stealing their property would surly be a welcome influx of money, although I too would speak out against it. Confiscating church property... now, the most esteemed bishop in our mid is speaking out for it, but Senator Pylaeus makes a good point to, so I will hold back with my judgment for the moment.

But... both measures would only be a short term solution. If we don't stop the spending we only push the problem to a later date. We need to strengthen the income, how to best do this is up to debate and I... hope... that we will get one. But we also need to lessen spending and the most spending is the military one. It's my belief that we need to disband parts of the army. I know, that it is controversial and dangerous considering rebellions and our enemies. But we still need to consolidate the troops.

What I propose is twofold: First dismiss the greenest recruits, the wounded, the weakest and keep our most veteran and elite soldiers. Second: Provide the dismissed soldiers with the land and the jobs of the people who died due to the plaque.

This way we lessen military spending and strengthen the economy at the same time.

Not standing up due to the energy it took him to do so last time, Bishop Dooley spoke up when he had the chance to do so. He looked to the Vice President and smiled.

"Thank you for bringing us back to the correct topics at hand,
sechen. I-"

The sudden fall of Scipion startled him. Adreneline rushing, he ignored the pain and stood up, trying to make his way down to the center of the hall. He made it about halfway there before he nearly collapsed himself, leaning on a chair and deciding to call from there.

"
Nöker! Are you all right?!"

The Mongol waited for someone to tend to him and felt relieved to see him stir after a few minutes. He sighed with relief and hobbled his way back to his seat. He was not going to push himself like that. His chest was already sore from all that rushing around.

"Oh thank God." he made the Sign of the Cross and silently said a thankful prayer as he saw that Scipion was all right.

"...okay, with that out of the way, I say we continue getting on to business. Mothballing the heavy warships of the Roman Navy is essential. Like many before me have said, these ships are only for dealing with Xenoi navies and dire risks to the Imperium. Those must be mothballed immediately. We can save our trade ships and transport fleets, as they are cheaper and can actually earn us some money."

Bishop Dooley stroked his beard as he continued, looking at Senator Ravenna.

"That is a fair argument. The Roman hor- tag-muh... soldiers are the single thing preventing us from death at the hands of our enemies. For the time being, and only temporarily, mind you, I agree that you, the Red Khural, stand as the most beneficial in Rome's time of need. I am on board."

"Cut back on soldiers? Are you MAD?!"

Bishop Dooley shook his head.

"Enemy turshuul spy on Rome daily and they report back the numbers of soldiers we have. If we were to reduce so much as one horseman from the ranks, they'll jump on us in our weakened and bankrupt state! I will under no exceptions ever consider cutting ANY men from the Roman h- soldiery! We need our troops most!"

He paused to think of the other half of the issue.

"We only need a one-time influx to pay off some of our loans. Debt interest always grows bigger if you don't pay it off. The Church will not suffer from a loss of land, only from a loss of defensibility of Rome."

He tried to go back to the previous six issues he spoke of earlier, but he knew he was taking up too much time.

"I really need to explain to you what I know about the Plague. May I do so?"

Alexios leans in to speak with Senator Taurinus.
"A Pisan and a Mongol say to take from the Church's lands and Romans listen to them? The Reds allied with the Blue Demes before, and where has it led us? It is all well and good to speak of compromise, but to what end? Are we to undercut the Church whilst heresy spreads in Anatolia? I am not convinced that this proposed scheme would be as
harmless as it is made out to be.... yet I would consider a deal. If the Blue Demes would pledge their full support to our faction's goals, and support administrative reforms then I would consider confiscating Church lands..."

*having returned to his seat and reassured that Scipion is unconcious, he whispers in a muffled voice to Este-Ravenna*

"Were we in a stronger position I would refuse such a deal to side with the Mongol and the Blues, especially when it risks weakening the imperium to claim some gold, but..."

*he glances at their two mad senators*
"it seems we are not in that strong position we would like to be, so perhaps we might make a deal, though I would advise to wait and see what happens to the Pisan and find out what the sentiments of the other Whites are before we risk a deal with the Blues, they seem reasonable and I suspect we could make a deal with them and the unaffiliated senators.
Colombo I do not trust, hunting for traitors makes me wonder if he will end up falling into madness like Alexandros did. As for the others, perhaps we might make a deal with them, but they still appear more focused on money and ships than anything else and I would advise caution with them."

Senator Duilius Arrius (Blue Demes):
"Vice President, explain. What has di Capponi done that warrants a trial? He seems to have been allowed to arrive as he pleased. If anything, why not call for Mandromenos' trial, who arrived gagged? What happened!?"

*Duilius rubs his forehead, willing the growing headache to go away.*
"We have already been asked to wait for the recess for these matters; we have more to discuss. Senator Este-Ravenna, you speak of heresy. What heresy?

{{None of the Senators were giving information on the heresy, right? It hasn't even been recognized in narrative yet.}}

{{ How low has the Senate come when the faction whose leader IS LITERALLY DRINKING BLOOD OUT OF A CANTEEN is seen as the most sane. Holy shit. }}

Senator Alexius Colombo:

"I believe that we have reached a conclusion, more or less, on the Jewish Question, so I think we ought to move on."

"In my good conscience,"

Alexius says as he takes another sip,

"I cannot support any move that hands more power to the Whites and their "administration". Only due to the efforts of the traders and guilders does the Imperium get any money whatsoever. Clamping down on them with overbearing legislation will hinder their ability to facilitate Imperial recovery. As such, I simply cannot support Administrative Focus."

"But there is a more present, and urgent concern. We Blues were informed that the plot against the Blues in the past session is alive and well. We have been told to keep our eyes out for traitors and assassins. There are many among us here who are hiding their physical appearance. It is quite possible that one or more could be a traitor. Therefore, I would like to ask those currently hiding themselves to unmask or uncover, so we can identify you. Once that is done, you can put your coverings back on.

Do I have the support of my fellow Senators in this motion?

{{ DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

IT'S WITCHUNT TIME! }}

"The proposals of Senator Colombo do dishonor to his house. The Imperium strains and groans under the scars of plague and invasion, this is the last time to divide ourselves. It is for this reason I must oppose the confiscation of Church lands- now is not the time to undermine the Church, nor the army, for such are the arms and legs of the Imperium, without which it will wither and die a feeble thing. It is for this reason that I support the call for Administrative Reforms. Rome runs on paper."

*having returned to his seat and reassured that Scipion is unconcious, he whispers in a muffled voice to Alexios*

"Were we in a stronger position I would refuse such a deal to side with the Mongol and the Blues, especially when it risks weakening the imperium to claim some gold, but..."

*he glances at their two mad senators*
"it seems we are not in that strong position we would like to be, so perhaps we might make a deal, though I would advise to wait and see what happens to the Pisan and find out what the sentiments of the other Whites are before we risk a deal with the Blues. There is something off about many of them that I distrust."

"in this we are in agreement," he murmurs, "their leader is.... off. I have met a few like him, and it was.... messy. Church Reform must be done judiciously or not at all, perhaps if the Whites were willing to propose such as a policy? But no, the army is too important to retain Italia and Aegyptus."

"Senator Arrius, he's referring to the Sophite Heretics. Also called the Angelolouds, or something along that line, they actually succeeded in locking down a province and keeping it plague free, and now everyone is worshipping them or God, or something. The terrifying part is that their leader, Sophia, is of the Angeloi Noyan! I have a personal axe to grind with them for taking my monk and dear brother, to their ways."

He paused.

"The thing is, I cannot condone violence to someone solely because they don't worship God like I do: we need to see if they are dangrous or violent before we strike... see if this is a separate religion, like Tenger worship, or one in bed with Satan and need of extermination, like the Xenoi, or even a harmless varient of the True Faith that needs no persection. I say we wait and see if they rise up or something. If they are violent and try to force their faith, we should yield no quarter."

Last edited: