• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Czoklet, I l believe we'll need more time. Probably time-zone issues and the fact that we didn't get even a bit of weekend, we barely even started discussing important issues :p}}

{{ If you won't finish by tomorrow I'll extend the meeting for next 24 hours.

Also some additional trade information for Blue Demes:
OzO9Ygz.jpg

5ymgPvJ.jpg

mNCEpNV.jpg

k74HNv1.jpg

2BXexeM.jpg
I rarely post trade screenshots and this is a good occassion IMHO. }}

Reactions:
The Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of Azerbaijan, Armenia, and the Roman Far East:

Senator Azizid... am I insulting you by only addressing you as such? I fear I would be winded saying all of your titles. Regardless, I am glad you are hear. Your family has much to teach us, surely. What are your thoughts on the reports that the plague is from the Far East? Has the illness hurt your people as well?

Bishop Dooley smiled warmly at Dulius' attempts to respect him.

"Nöker," he said, "address me as you would any bishop of the True Faith. My flock knows me as Bishop Dooley or Reverend Dooley, and you may call me Bishop or Reverend Azizid. Like Saint Paul said of his wordly titles and knowledge, those are but 'garbage' compared to his service to God, so 'Senator' means little to me."

He stroked his beard for a moment as he thought about the plague.

"The lost souls under Tenger's yoke are doubtless stricken with the same disease we are. I doubt many of them, especially in the old country from where Mongolyn Ezent Güren traveled, have ever heard the Gospel. The Holy Church has never stated its opinion one way or the other on the matter of what happens to the souls of those who cannot or understand the Gospel or have not ever heard of it, but I believe this: God would not punish a man with eternal suffering in Tam for not knowing Him if they are not mentally capable of doing so or have never been given the chance to choose Him. -but if they are of sound mind and reject the Gospel, they have made their choice then."

The clergyman sighed.

"I said this earlier. I do not believe this plague is from Dai Ön Ulus or anywhere the Orient, and the claim that the Yevryeichüüd caused it is a plot by Satan-chötgörüüdiin khuntaij, that is, the prince of chötgör. My brother believed that disease is caused by tiny spirits that enter through open wounds or breathing in air breathed out from the sick or risen out of the dead. These spirits are spread by insects that feed on animals like rats and vermin. The Xenoi introduced many animals, both intentionally and unintentionally, and I have no doubt whatsoever that they crafted this disease and embedded those spirits into them to spread to us. but God works in mysterious ways; He allowed the spirits to turn on their masters. As for the Orient being stricken by this plague, do not tell me that you do not think the Xenoi also sailed east!"

-----------

{{

For those paying attention, I'm trying to paint Bubba and the other Mongoloid scholars as believing in a theology-soaked, proto-germ theory. Similarly to how the RL plague doctors figured out the bubonic plague spread through the air and through open wounds (and thus wore inscence and long gloves to migitate contact), I like to think that Roman scholars developed the same techniques done in RL to handle the plague. Bubba and friends advise constant washing of hands with soap and water, no contact with open wounds (especially if you have open wounds yourself), and wearing masks to avoid breathing in the air breathed out by living plague victims and from the dead as they decay. They are spot on with modern medicine in that, but they're dead wrong with the idea that "spirits", and not microorganisms, were the source of the infection. Superstition and rightful hatred of the Xenoi lead to them naturally being blamed.

}}

{{

I have a doctor's appointment at 1:30 PM and will be gone for several hours after that for obvious reasons. Hopefully, I can get something done by that time, unless Czoklet is willing to extend the meeting a little longer.

}}

{{

EDIT: SHOOT!! I took so long to type that reply that I was beaten to posting by a whole page!

}}

The Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of Azerbaijan, Armenia, and the Roman Far East:

Noticing the new Senators present and the change of the pace of the discussion, Bishop Dooley recalled what they had said and contemplated it.

"If we mothball the Fleet, we need to make sure that the transport ships and light ships protecting trade are maintined, with a small reserve of galleys. When the Imperium goes back to war, remember that the transport ships will be engaged in battle. The great heavy ships need to be mothballed for an indefinite period of time: those are a drain on the coffers of Rome and only needed in dire straits when dealing with Xenoi navies. I concur with the arguments already brought."

The bishop twirled the hair of his long white Mongol braid in his fingers as he paused for a thoughtful response.

"My disocese owns much land, but few ships. We steppe riders have little need for that, so my predecessors long ago donated our ports to the Imperium for state use."

He remembered a key note earlier about Church land.

"In my language, a land tax is called a Chang. You may be surprised to hear this, but honestly, I support levying Chang on the Holy Church. We will get those lands back one day, but right now, the Imperium, on which the Church survives, needs that land and that revenue. Whether or not the Khuraltai agrees on Chang against the Holy Church, I have already given orders to sell of excess Church land."

He paused.

"I don't have any slaves I could have given, though. As far back as when my tribe once controlled the Patriarchate of Antioch after unseating a wicked priest there, we have always ordered the immediate emancipation of all slaves- except the soulless Xenoi. obviously -in Church land. The Church, like the Faith, is freedom in Khristed; there is no place for bondage under her. I had no slaves to emancipate in my diosce: we've refused non-Xenoi slave labor for years. One day, I hope the whole Church will do so. Hey, a man can dream."

The bishop paused for breath again.

"I said that to say this: when all is said and done, I am ordering the selloff of excess Church lands in my disoce to the Imperium. I will personally lobby for and vote in favor of levying Chang on the Church. My duties to God come first, but I cannot forsake my duties as a Roman, and the two do not collide in this instance."

Bishop Dooley nodded.

"Now, what of punishing the Yevryeichüüd? Centuries ago, the Imperium expelled them and cast them to die and dark times happened immediately after, and not just financially. Men, though God no longer binds us to the Laws of old, He never forsakes his Original Chosen People. Just because Izraili isn't saved without Yesüs doesn't mean God will not hesitate to strike those who dare harm the first children of Abraham. God punishes those who punish the Yevryeichüüd. I'd sooner have my heart devoured by Xenoi than lay a single hand on a single Yevryeichüüd. People call them 'Christ-killers', but pagan Rome did the actual killing, and do we yoke ourselves under that for the acts of the Imperium's ancestors? Never! When Saint Peter tried to stop Yesüs from dying, what did He say? He said for Satan to get behind him! Yesüs HAD to die. Yesüs asked God to forgive them! Why do we still harp on how evil the Yevryeichüüd when God Himself asked to forgive them? Stand by the Yevryeichüüd, nökers, and God will stand by Rome even more! -and besides, what precedent do we set by harming true Romans? My people would be next! -and without us, they'd never no Yesüs!"

Christianized Mongols knew far too well of persecutions, racism, and bigotry for them acting and looking different. God forbid that Bishop Dooley ever permit the same anywhere else in Rome. If there's one thing the bishop stood for, it was the protection of all Romans.

Bubba and friends advise constant washing of hands with soap and water,
{{As you may have noticed, my Senator has this part covered :p}}

Senator Nikephoros II Salamis:
Sena... Bishop Azizid, thank you for your insights. Your theory seems sound, yes... You should present it to the whole Senate, to silence those disgusting rumours about members of the Blue Demes bringing the plauge from Cathay. *Nikephoros, again, empties and refills his basin, washing his hands with no appearant reason. All this talk about the plauge was stressing him...*
However, we are here to discuss matters of the Senate and of the Imperium. We need to present a united front, and we need to elect a speaker. I have expressed my opinion of the matters at hand- the fleet must be mothballed, the light ships deployed as privateers for raiding missions. The tariffs on the Exarchates should be imposed. The wealth of the church, sitting on their piles of gold while the Imperium suffers, must be confisticated. I agree with you, Reverened Bishop- the Jews must not, cannot, be harmed. I will not let that happen. They are true citizens of Rome, productive and loyal. As for the Administrative reform which will be brought before the Senate, I believe we may have no choice but to accept it- the Imperial administration is in dire need of support. We also must decide upon the areas on which our Demes will focus to help the Imperium, in the case we gain power- I agree with the suggestion of Senator Hvide, however, as the bulk of our navy may not see use in the coming time, and the problem of Bavaria may arise soon, perhaps we should focus on bringing more diplomats to help annex the lands of Bavaria instead of bolstering the Navy's moral? {{Diplomatic Annexation Cost -10% instead of Navy moral}}
And on the matter of the speaker... Many of us are too young to be elected as leaders, myself included of course. It seems like Senators Arrius, Hvide, Cortez and Azizid are the only ones whose age is above 35... What say you, esteemed Senators? I, myself, would be delighted to see Reverend Bishop Dooley as a leader of our faction, to show the others that we, unlike them, are not a bunch of cowards, fearing the sight of anyone who looks different... And to show them that we aren't the greedy merchants or, god forbid, heretics they sometimes call us.

"If we're going to raise tariffs on the farthest colonial bo'ols of Rome, that could be disasterous down the road. Look at how the eastern Xenoi broke into civil war and uproar because the Far West was so heavy on taxing them! Far off colonial bo'ols are iffy if you tax them hard. They will revolt because they feel underrepresented. My people know far too well what happens when you conquer and then neglect. No steppe Khaganate would be so foolish as to squeeze the farthest colonial bo'ols of their wealth for too long, lest they revolt!"

If it was not for his darker tannned skin, one could easily have seen the Mongol blushing when they suggested naming him leader.

"Nökers, I am humbled that you deem me a leader, but my upbringing and culture mean my only leadership style is very handed. On the steppes, you rule by force or you han the bridle to one who can. I've done this by overtaking my diosces' Roman Darughachi during the anarchy and too many people want me to petition the holy Khagan Angeloi himself to convert the province into Church-run theocracies. My people are one that crave power, and honestly, I am terrified of what could happen at my death if my clerical position becomes a permanent power that actually governs."

Bishop Dooley sighed again.

"I cannot accept a leadership position, nökers, for a steppe man cannot rule a settlers' Khural. You will have to name the other man the leader of our Khural; he is the man I will vote for and I urge you to do the same."

Last edited:
Senatoe Nikephoros II Salamis:
*Nikephoros nods*
Yes, I see your point, Bishop Dooley- however, in this time of crisis, shouldn't we raise the tariffs temporarily, until the harsh times pass? I would even go as far as re-integrating Abyssinia once we are strong again, if it is possible. {{Is it?}}
I understand and respect this, Bishop Dooley. Senators Arrius, Hvide or Cortez, do any of you volunteer as leaders of our demes?
{{Btw, my font size seems too small... It's 3 though, shouldn't it be the normal size?}}

Last edited:

"Nöker, there are few things more permanent that a tax. I wound not support raising tariffs on the colonial bo'ols unless we pass a policy that demands, explicitly, that those tariffs sunset unconditionally when certain conditions are met. Either, say, five years or something like it, or Rome has paid all its current loans off entirely."

The Mongol nodded again.

"I cannot and will not accept the position of speaker. There would be no peace between tribes and settlers, and what do you think Rome as a whole and the
Khuraltai itself would do to our Khural if they learned it was being commanded by a Mongolchuud? We'd be seen as working for Mongolyn Ezent Güren and get purged again!"

He narrowed his slanted eyes in determination.

"I veto myself!"

"I cannot and will not accept the position of speaker. There would be no peace between tribes and settlers, and what do you think Rome as a whole and the Khuraltai itself would do to our Khural if they learned it was being commanded by a Mongolchuud? We'd be seen as working for Mongolyn Ezent Güren and get purged again!"

He narrowed his slanted eyes in determination.

"I veto myself!"
{{Yeah, I only saw your edit after I sent my reply- don't worry, Nikephoros won't pressure anyone into doing something, he can barely pressure himself :D}}

Senator Valerios Raoul :

*Valerios listens to his fellow senators but he has a hard time following everything especially since he arrived last to the meeting. He decides to speak up but has a hard time rising from his seat ; he wonders how he could still be there ; he had just celebrated his 29th birthday but some of his hair had already become white after the Plague Riots, his left leg was as useful as a White in the administration, he could not write as good as he used to during his studies in the Pandadikterion because of his broken fingers : hope was really a mistake for him. At least he would try to uphold his family duties for the time being*

Senators, wwwould you allow myself to discuss the matters asked by the Emperor ?
I agree with the question of the Fleet, they drain too much of the Imperial Money and le... let us be honest here, these ships won't serve us while we have to deal with rebels, at least the Imperium is safe from piracy. I'd ask our Speaker to change the law as the Reverend proposed, the dromoi such as this one are valuable for the Army. Maybe our trade ships could be sent to raid the Pisans, it sounds to be a good proposal for me.

The matter of the Jews is also where we should stand together. The Jews were not responsible, I saw entire families of Israelites die, together with good Romans, in the Queen of Cities *
he seems to drift to painful memories as his face expresses deep pain* ... I remember that while I was half-dead in the streets a Jew merchant helped me to escape the madness. He did not survive though ... these were hard times, hard times indeed and anyone in the City was on the brink of death at every moment ... no one could blame anyone for his behavior, except those plebeians *he tries to raise his voice but his voice pales in comparison of the men here* who should be hunt as the animals, the demons they are! *He sees the stares of the Senators and try to calm down*

Excuse me fellow Blues, but the memories of the Riot are still vivid in my mind. You can't understand what happened there. Sure the Plague felt to all as entering Hell but the Riot, this madness, it would be as entering the deepest circles of the Tartarus. I saw good men skewered by the crowd in front of their family while their women were used as toys by the beasts of the city and then forced to eat the flesh of their cherished ones ... the smog, the flames, the noises, everywhere!
*Valerios is shaking and barely holding on to the table, his face filled with cold sweat*. One must not allow this to happen again, no, everyone who took part in it should be punished accordingly but alas, the crowd is too powerful in these dark times. If it weren't for the Plague I'm sure our Emperor would have sent a tagmata slash and burn amongst the poors, yes, it would have been just and merciful... *Valerios realizes he may have gone too far and try to restrain himself although he is still very shaken by his memories*

Also why have we been locked in there ? I don't want to suffer the fate of my grandfather.
*the thought of dying there without achieving his duty seems to frighten it more than coming back to the City of Hell that had become Konstantinopolis*

{{ Damn @Enlil and @Mach Twelve who acted too mad before the Blues Meeting :p
Although it's not the mad who will bring down everybody with him but more the one who has seen too much and barely sees why to continue to live }}

{{Vetoing yourself, what madness is this? I dare say that it is almost as mad as me, Alexandros Mandromenos, resident crazy of the Reds}}

Senator Duilius Arrius:
"Senator Azizid... I do not wish to disrespect you or make an enemy here, but I will continue to refer to you as a Senator. You are only here, only able to advise the Augustus, because you are a Senator. No thanks to your religious background. I wish to curb the Church's influence... If you call yourself a bishop, I doubt you agree.

As for the Jews, I share your feelings, Senator Raoul. They are blameless and have suffered as much as any of us. Trying to make them out as scapegoats is despicable.

Senator Salamis, you ask if any of us wish to be the Speaker. I put myself forward. In the time I spent with my father, he taught me how the Senate works. He was also the least... damaged by the inquisition our predecessors faced. If anyone has an objection, say it now."

Senator Alexius Colombo:

Colombo looks around the small room with a unsettling smile on his face, the look of a predator who has spotted weakened prey. Is this all the Blues could muster up as a challenge? A self-sacrificing mongol, young, stammering, scarred young men, and an old man whose table manners were atrocious? He scoffed. But, they all had votes, and their animal desires must be sated in order for the plans to go into action. He speaks up.

Senator Valerios Raoul :

*Valerios listens to his fellow senators but he has a hard time following everything especially since he arrived last to the meeting. He decides to speak up but has a hard time rising from his seat ; he wonders how he could still be there ; he had just celebrated his 29th birthday but some of his hair had already become white after the Plague Riots, his left leg was as useful as a White in the administration, he could not write as good as he used to during his studies in the Pandadikterion because of his broken fingers : hope was really a mistake for him. At least he would try to uphold his family duties for the time being*

Senators, wwwould you allow myself to discuss the matters asked by the Emperor ?
I agree with the question of the Fleet, they drain too much of the Imperial Money and le... let us be honest here, these ships won't serve us while we have to deal with rebels, at least the Imperium is safe from piracy. I'd ask our Speaker to change the law as the Reverend proposed, the dromoi such as this one are valuable for the Army. Maybe our trade ships could be sent to raid the Pisans, it sounds to be a good proposal for me.

The matter of the Jews is also where we should stand together. The Jews were not responsible, I saw entire families of Israelites die, together with good Romans, in the Queen of Cities *
he seems to drift to painful memories as his face expresses deep pain* ... I remember that while I was half-dead in the streets a Jew merchant helped me to escape the madness. He did not survive though ... these were hard times, hard times indeed and anyone in the City was on the brink of death at every moment ... no one could blame anyone for his behavior, except those plebeians *he tries to raise his voice but his voice pales in comparison of the men here* who should be hunt as the animals, the demons they are! *He sees the stares of the Senators and try to calm down*

Excuse me fellow Blues, but the memories of the Riot are still vivid in my mind. You can't understand what happened there. Sure the Plague felt to all as entering Hell but the Riot, this madness, it would be as entering the deepest circles of the Tartarus. I saw good men skewered by the crowd in front of their family while their women were used as toys by the beasts of the city and then forced to eat the flesh of their cherished ones ... the smog, the flames, the noises, everywhere!
*Valerios is shaking and barely holding on to the table, his face filled with cold sweat*. One must not allow this to happen again, no, everyone who took part in it should be punished accordingly but alas, the crowd is too powerful in these dark times. If it weren't for the Plague I'm sure our Emperor would have sent a tagmata slash and burn amongst the poors, yes, it would have been just and merciful... *Valerios realizes he may have gone too far and try to restrain himself although he is still very shaken by his memories*

Also why have we been locked in there ? I don't want to suffer the fate of my grandfather.
*the thought of dying there without achieving his duty seems to frighten it more than coming back to the City of Hell that had become Konstantinopolis*

{{ Damn @Enlil and @Mach Twelve who acted too mad before the Blues Meeting :p
Although it's not the mad who will bring down everybody with him but more the one who has seen too much and barely sees why to continue to live }}

"I understand Valerios, it must have been very hard to go through that. I agree with you, and the other Senators present, that the battle fleets must be mothballed. Due to the financial crisis, the morale of our armies and navies has plummeted, making them nearly useless. As such, I see no reason to not mothball any fleets not being used for trade and raiding purposes. If we are attacked, there would be little that could be done anyways.

While there are risks to raising tariffs too high, they have never been raised before. I would surmise that the Imperium could raise tariffs on our subjects several times over and still proceed without issue. But for now, I support a one-time raise.

This talk of expelling Jews is nonsense. Jews are the most tast- important part of our banking sector. Without them, the Imperium would be unable to procure loans, and would be forced to operate on yearly revenues, which is a most difficult task. We also must consider where they might go if kicked out. To the hordes, who doubtlessly could use their assistance in stabilizing the realm? The Xenoi, who desire our knowledge? Or perhaps the Pisans, because the Pisans can never have too much money..

On the subject of privateering, I see no good reason not to. It will make our rivals angrier at us, but they already hate us with their entire beings anyway.."

The smile falls off of Colombo's face like a sheet of rain.

And then, of course, we have the Church, and by association, the Whites. My family is no longer in the trade industry, and that is entirely because of the Whites. They have betrayed the Imperium with their nepotism and corruption. They hinder the development of the Navy and Army while skimming their funds for their pet projects. And for their sins, God has sent down a plague as punishment for their sins. It is little wonder we are hearing more and more of heresy. The common people see the priests in gilded shirts and with cut-glass plates and begin to become angry. We must stop this decadence before the backlash against it destroys the Holy Church.

The other Demes see us and laugh, but who is laughing now? Trade income accounts for two-thirds of the Imperium's income. It is our wisdom that can lead the Imperium out of the darkness, and into the light!"

"And if they will not be brought, they must be dragged."

Alexius looks down upon the seated pre.. Senators.

I hereby propose myself as leader of our Demes.

Alexius then turns to Absalon:

You propose that we invest in the morale of our seamen? That is a foolish choice. The will of men is as breakable as their spines, that is to say, quite brittle. But the will of heavy logs and metal screws is not one so easily crushed. We MUST prioritize the material integrity of our navy over any theoretical improvements to morale.

{{ Elect the cannibal for faction leader! dooo iiiitttttt. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD THRONE }}

Reactions:
Absalon Hvide
Absalon turns to Arrius "Other than nepotism what qualifications do you have for leadership? Do you think that you have the skills to keep all of us in line?"

He turns to the assembled senators: "As young Raul said the Emperor asked us for council, let us give it to him. I find the idea of mothballing the navy to be stupid, infact i find it so idiotic that it can't possibly have come from the mind of the emperor, because the alternative, that the emperor is a drooling moron is quite frankly absurd.
So i suggest that we vote no to that.

As for the jews and church i could not care any less . Take all their money, leave them be, in the end it will not matter at all. To take their resources will only staunch the bleeding our empire suffers for a moment. It does not touch core issue, the fact that the taxmen never come, and that the empire has absolutely no control over its provinces.

The Exarchates on the other hand should be fine to tax, just make sure that we can lower the taxes again if they feel rebellious, if the Exarchates turn their back on the Imperium i fear we will never recover.

And as for privateers, hire them all, let them steal all they can and bring the wealth home, the Imperium needs it."

Senator Nikephoros II Salamis-
I hereby declare my support for Senator Arrius as leader of the Blue Demes. I am sorry, Senator Colombo- you are the first of your family to join our esteemed demes, and I simply trust house Arrius to be the best for our demes in these dire times. I also believe that your age is not above 35, the minimum age for a faction speaker by all laws of the Senate... I hope I haven't offen... I mean, I hope you will not... I hope... I hope you will not be disappointed by my choice. *Having failed to normaly interact with other people again, Nikephoros awkwardly sits down and frevently washes his hands in the basin again, nervously*
Valerios, I agree with you completely on the subject of the Jews, as said before. I can also bring to the Senate an explanation which will surely sway any true hearted man in the Senate who believed that the Jews caused the plauge. My tutor and trusted councillor, as some of you may know, is a Je... A christianized Jew. In the long years we spent in a mountain resort of house Salamis, a fortified cave away from the horrors of the plauge, he has taught me much. *Nikephoros realises he is blabbering, and quickly reaches the point.* So, er, I know that the Jews wash their hands before every prayer- and they pray quite a lot, before every meal and more. That led to the Jews in the Imperium to be less affected by the plauge, which, alongside with the nonsensical hate for them, may have caused those filthy rumours.

Last edited:
Absalon Hvide
Senator Alexius Colombo:

Colombo looks around the small room with a unsettling smile on his face, the look of a predator who has spotted weakened prey. Is this all the Blues could muster up as a challenge? A self-sacrificing mongol, young, stammering, scarred young men, and an old man whose table manners were atrocious? He scoffed. But, they all had votes, and their animal desires must be sated in order for the plans to go into action. He speaks up.

"I understand Valerios, it must have been very hard to go through that. I agree with you, and the other Senators present, that the battle fleets must be mothballed. Due to the financial crisis, the morale of our armies and navies has plummeted, making them nearly useless. As such, I see no reason to not mothball any fleets not being used for trade and raiding purposes. If we are attacked, there would be little that could be done anyways.

While there are risks to raising tariffs too high, they have never been raised before. I would surmise that the Imperium could raise tariffs on our subjects several times over and still proceed without issue. But for now, I support a one-time raise.

This talk of expelling Jews is nonsense. Jews are the most tast- important part of our banking sector. Without them, the Imperium would be unable to procure loans, and would be forced to operate on yearly revenues, which is a most difficult task. We also must consider where they might go if kicked out. To the hordes, who doubtlessly could use their assistance in stabilizing the realm? The Xenoi, who desire our knowledge? Or perhaps the Pisans, because the Pisans can never have too much money..

On the subject of privateering, I see no good reason not to. It will make our rivals angrier at us, but they already hate us with their entire beings anyway.."

The smile falls off of Colombo's face like a sheet of rain.

And then, of course, we have the Church, and by association, the Whites. My family is no longer in the trade industry, and that is entirely because of the Whites. They have betrayed the Imperium with their nepotism and corruption. They hinder the development of the Navy and Army while skimming their funds for their pet projects. And for their sins, God has sent down a plague as punishment for their sins. It is little wonder we are hearing more and more of heresy. The common people see the priests in gilded shirts and with cut-glass plates and begin to become angry. We must stop this decadence before the backlash against it destroys the Holy Church.

The other Demes see us and laugh, but who is laughing now? Trade income accounts for two-thirds of the Imperium's income. It is our wisdom that can lead the Imperium out of the darkness, and into the light!"

"And if they will not be brought, they must be dragged."

Alexius looks down upon the seated pre.. Senators.

I hereby propose myself as leader of our Demes.

Alexius then turns to Absalon:

You propose that we invest in the morale of our seamen? That is a foolish choice. The will of men is as breakable as their spines, that is to say, quite brittle. But the will of heavy logs and metal screws is not one so easily crushed. We MUST prioritize the material integrity of our navy over any theoretical improvements to morale.

{{ Elect the cannibal for faction leader! dooo iiiitttttt. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD THRONE }}

Absalon snarls with his charcoal black teeth at Colombo. "You have forgotten ONE VITALLY important thing. THE IMPERIUM IS RATHER LARGE. The navy cuts down troop transport times by months, and how do you propose that Egypt would get any reenforcements when the Sons of Timur control the holy land and the path to Egypt? I doubt that our mortal enemies would sit idly by as we march armies through their territory. The navy is necessary."

He slams his fist into the table. "It is not the power of the equipment that wins battles at sea, it is the will of the sailors, if they do not have the will to fight then what use is good equipment? If our sailors do not have the stomach to fight then your logs and steel will be useless."

He leans back in his seat and sighs deeply. "Colombo while i find you distasteful as a person, ugly as sin, and a fool for your views on the navy. You have the right idea when it comes to the other demes. If the other senators will support you, then i will support you as"well."

{{sorry for potential doublepost}}

Absalon Hvide

Absalon snarls with his charcoal black teeth at Colombo. "You have forgotten ONE VITALLY important thing. THE IMPERIUM IS RATHER LARGE. The navy cuts down troop transport times by months, and how do you propose that Egypt would get any reenforcements when the Sons of Timur control the holy land and the path to Egypt? I doubt that our mortal enemies would sit idly by as we march armies through their territory. The navy is necessary."

He slams his fist into the table. "It is not the power of the equipment that wins battles at sea, it is the will of the sailors, if they do not have the will to fight then what use is good equipment? If our sailors do not have the stomach to fight then your logs and steel will be useless."

He leans back in his seat and sighs deeply. "Colombo while i find you distasteful as a person, ugly as sin, and a fool for your views on the navy. You have the right idea when it comes to the other demes. If the other senators will support you, then i will support you as"well."

{{sorry for potential doublepost}}
Senator Nikephoros II Salamis:
Senator Hvide, surely you don't intend to use all our warships for transport? Most of the fleet, expect of a choice number of privateers and transport ships, must be mothballed.

{{It's strange how so few in the Blue Demes want to tax the jews. Driving them out of business would leave a larger market share for the Blue merchant-lords. Why wouldn't they want to eliminate the competition?}}

{{It's strange how so few in the Blue Demes want to tax the jews. Driving them out of business would leave a larger market share for the Blue merchant-lords. Why wouldn't they want to eliminate the competition?}}
{{My senator has obvious reasons- the Salamis trade company is pretty dead anyway after they closed the island to strangers, and his tutor is a Jew. House Salamis was also always sympathetic to heathens and other cultures}}