• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And the best thing is that it this scenario the Xenoi player - assuming he's good at micro - should be able to defeat all of them :p

Wow, I think this was the best chapter ever (though I say that on each of them)! Truly terrifying and magnificent, the Imperium vs Xenoi, Timurids, Pisa and the Horde! Wow, just wow!
The Senate will be interesting to say to say the least :p

And the best thing is that it this scenario the Xenoi player - assuming he's good at micro - should be able to defeat all of them :p

Not if the great Empire of Serica comes to help! :D

DIARIUM SENATORUM IMPERIALIS #17

bXfsLO5.jpg

ALBUM SENATORIUM
Illustrious President of the Imperial Senate magistros Nikephoros Dalassenos hereby annouces:

1) that the following delegates of the noble Houses to the Imperial Senate have been executed:
  1. Quintus of the noble House MOJMIRID (played by: Teutonic King)

2) that the following delegates of the noble Houses to the Imperial Senate have been released by the Athanatoi after interrogation:
  1. senator Diaver of the noble House KASTELOS (played by: Leandor)
  2. senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb)
  3. senator Marcus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne)
  4. senator Bubba of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom)

SENATE EVENTS

sFN3pjG.jpg

3EsyeQy.jpg

C3S84kR.jpg

eRXnpkp.jpg

u9pAsYb.jpg

PzOm11s.jpg

NyTXHw7.jpg

May the blessing of Saint Markos be upon all of us.

Signed,
Nikophoros Dalassenos
President of the Imperial Senate

As you know I initially planned to use the interrogation of the detained Senators to make a special interactive „scene”, so to speak. However seeing how much excitement this caused (which led to the thread being locked) I decided in the end to abandon this idea. Sorry folks, perhaps next time! I'll just shortly state what happened to the arrested Senators and you'll have to use your imagination how the interrogation went:

• senator Diaver of the noble House KASTELOS (played by: Leandor) – found NOT GUILTY; can't write with his right hand due to multiple bone fractures and broken fingers
  • senator Leon of the noble House CORTEZ (played by: zqfrmb) – found NOT GUILTY; the interrogation left him with pronounced limp
  • senator Marcus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne) – found NOT GUILTY; detachment of Athanatoi permanently assigned for protection
  • senator Bubba of the noble House AZIZID (played by: TurtleShroom) – found NOT GUILTY; blinded
Additionally every Senator who engaged in trade of illegal goods had all of his assets confiscated.

What's next?

As for the plans for the future – next Senate Session will take place probably in year 1560 after chapter 7 is released. The Far East & India dev diary will be released before or after that. If your Senator is dead or if you want to join the AAR please wait and don't send your character until chapter 7 is out. A lot of important things will happen which may influence your character's biography, so you'll have to be patient :)

Reactions:
I don't know what I'm more excited for, the next chapter or the dev diary on India. :D
  • senator Marcus of the noble House ARRIUS (played by: TheAnguishedOne) – found NOT GUILTY; detachment of Athanatoi permanently assigned for protection
Marcus is fine, and has security protecting him? Oh, that's going to be fun...

Reactions:
I love this! Those events really show the White Demes as incompotent, corrupt, narrow-minded religious fanatics, the complete opposite of what the new-white Senators tried to show.
The Senate session will be interesting! :D
Also, at first I was thinking how lucky the living Blue Senators were, but now... Nope. Also, Marcus is both lucky and in trouble.

Reactions:
As said, if taken literally, this doesn't exactly mean they're the most powerful. Incas or China might be even mightier :D

I love this! Those events really show the White Demes as incompotent, corrupt, narrow-minded religious fanatics, the complete opposite of what the new-white Senators tried to show.
The Senate session will be interesting! :D
Also, at first I was thinking how lucky the living Blue Senators were, but now... Nope. Also, Marcus is both lucky and in trouble.

We....we aint THAT bad. Realy! Wouldn't you buy a used Dromon from us?

Reactions:
At least this time my Senator wasn't killed by the swindling event :p

Reactions:
Partition of the Imperium, anyone?

First we need to expel the beasts from europe, then the Palmyrene Empire will rise again (and destroy ISIS before they even exist).

*Persians, you mean?

*Persians, you mean?

Nope, google "Crisis of the third century", -edited- and I mentioned ISIS because of destruction of several buildings of the ancient city of Palmyra (a world heritage site), if not the whole city, and the beheading of a prominent syrian archaeologist... but that's offtopic, I'll shut up.

640px-Map_of_Ancient_Rome_271_AD.svg.png

Last edited:
All these events hard-corded into the game...is it even possible to try and change anything for a demes?
What do you mean exactly? I can change or even remove Factions' events but this would reduce randomness of which Faction is dominant quite a bit. I know that right now events are kinda outdated considering how some of the Demes changed but hey, I wrote them almost 12 months ago :)

Well, I was thinking of displaying the in-AAR change of the demes via timed events in TIM. So, while the whites are stubborn corrupt geezers at first, they can move to become more like they are now
(More reasonable, able administrators trying to improve production, still religious hardliners).

If we could implement such a change in the events the AAR would change the game in a new and amazing way imo. Because no matter how hard we try in the interactive sessions, if all we get is white = corrupt conservative religious fanatics, blue = greedy merchants selling their soul to Xenoi and reds = CHAAAAARGEEE!!, then it takes a lot away from the roleplaying.

For instance, I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to defend the corruption event in the coming session. I had my character say "we can show the other senators that we are competent and viable partners" and the events just destroyed any credibility of what we tried to do. It's not what I hoped for...

Why does this event reduce goods produced? Aren't the whites supposedly good at that? What about a trade debuff (efficiency) instead?

So, I would propose to create fitting events for the different times of the world and characteristics of the demes. The start is fine as it is (we should just disable non-fitting events at an appropriate time), but we could implement new events to reflect changes in the senate. One example would be the "burning scholars" event. We can just keep it, but to represent the change of the whites there could be a new one called "White Senators of the Pandidakterion" (Working title), which provides slight buffs while showing that the whites are not against education or progress (just against non-Orthodox kinds of it :) ).

Does the "Swindles the treasury" event exist for every demes or is it exclusive to whites? If it is exclusive, the probability should be lowered considering that we tried everything to help the economy. It is really irrational for me to see one of the whites working to satisfy his own greed in such a dire time.

---

TL;DR: I propose different demes-events for specific time periods to reflect the change in the senate in the AAR and upcoming mod. We should by all means keep the events, since they are the only thing giving meaning to being in power in the senate. But they should be altered and/or replaced when the demes change to display said change.

---

It is completely fine that they are outdated right now, who could have known what direction the AAR would take? But we don't need to keep them outdated, do we?

Reactions:
Well, I was thinking of displaying the in-AAR change of the demes via timed events in TIM. So, while the whites are stubborn corrupt geezers at first, they can move to become more like they are now
(More reasonable, able administrators trying to improve production, still religious hardliners).

If we could implement such a change in the events the AAR would change the game in a new and amazing way imo. Because no matter how hard we try in the interactive sessions, if all we get is white = corrupt conservative religious fanatics, blue = greedy merchants selling their soul to Xenoi and reds = CHAAAAARGEEE!!, then it takes a lot away from the roleplaying.

For instance, I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to defend the corruption event in the coming session. I had my character say "we can show the other senators that we are competent and viable partners" and the events just destroyed any credibility of what we tried to do. It's not what I hoped for...

You are absolutely right. The events should be revamped, even more so since I need to rewrite them at some point to use them in ISF mod. That's a lot of work but if we plan it so that every Demes can work on its own events then we can perhaps finish this in September.

Example on how the events look like right now:

Code:
# Burning of Scholars
country_event = {
   id = byz_faction.35
   title = "byz_faction.t.35"
   desc = "byz_faction.d.35"
   picture = RELIGIOUS_TURMOIL_eventPicture

trigger = {
     faction_in_power = ki_clergy
   }

mean_time_to_happen = {
     months = 450
     modifier = {
       factor = 0.8
       innovativeness_ideas = 4
     }
     modifier = {
       factor = 0.8
       innovativeness_ideas = 6
     }
     modifier = {
       factor = 1.5
       stability = 1
     }
     modifier = {
       factor = 1.5
       stability = 2
     }
   }

option = {
     name = "byz_faction.a.35"
     add_country_modifier = {
       name = narrowminded_modifier
       duration = 3650
     }
     add_prestige = -25
     add_legitimacy = -5
     add_faction_influence = {
       faction = ki_clergy
       influence = -5
     }
   }

option = {
     name = "byz_faction.b.35"
     add_country_modifier = {
       name = narrowminded_modifier
       duration = 3650
     }
     add_stability = -1
       faction = ki_clergy
       influence = -20
     }
   }
}
Not all of them are triggered by one Demes though:
Code:
# Court Bickering
country_event = {
   id = byz_faction.42
   title = "byz_faction.t.42"
   desc = "byz_faction.d.42"
   picture = LIBERUM_VETO_eventPicture

trigger = {
     OR = {
       faction_in_power = ki_clergy
       faction_in_power = ki_peasants
     }
   }

mean_time_to_happen = {
     months = 650
     modifier = {
       factor = 0.9
       NOT = {
         legitimacy = 70
       }
     }
     modifier = {
       factor = 0.8
       NOT = {
         prestige = 2
       }
     }
     modifier = {
       factor = 0.8
       NOT = {
         stability = 1
       }
     }
   }

option = {
     name = "byz_faction.a.42"
     add_army_tradition = -3
       faction = ki_nobles
       influence = -15
     }
   }

option = {
     name = "byz_faction.b.42"
     add_prestige = -3
       faction = ki_clergy
       influence = -15
     }
   }

option = {
     name = "byz_faction.c.42"
     add_prestige = 5
   }
}
They are kinda messy to be honest since they are mainly tweaked dorimi's events (which in turn are based on Ming factions events) plus some of my own written when I was only beginning modding, not to mention some of them are really outdated (that is the modifiers they trigger no longer exist in game files). The most important thing about becoming dominant Faction should be the permanent modifiers each Faction gives, in case of the Whites:

sFN3pjG.jpg

Speaking of which I think it would be a good idea to give each Demes more influence on which modifers exactly do you want to have. This can be done similarly to Senate Policies - I will give you a certain amount of points and you will be able to buy some bonuses from Nation Designer list. Then I will try to balance it be spending (the same amount of points + N more) on maluses, so that no Faction is overpowered. Because frankly right now when you look at the list of the modifiers they are rather minor and scattered all over a place. It would be better to have less but having more impact on the gameplay IMHO.

As for the decisions concerning officials nominations - I plan to write them from a scratch because in practice they are not that important and only 2-3 out of 5 officials per branch (ADM, DIP, MIL) are really useful.

Right now I'm writing next chapter (1555-1560) however, so all the tweaking will have to wait at least several days.

EDIT: I can "unmake" the abovementioned White Demes events from 1540-1555 if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: