• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Attalus i need to get some geneology straight, if i recall correctly Hadrianos had 2 sons, one a schemer one a more honest guy. Honest guy gets betrothed to the daughter of Frederik, and some time later the couple gets assassinated and noone knows who did it. So how does Alexandros get into the picture?}}

{{ They had a chile that survived ergo Alexandros. I think that's it :p ( I will not create such drama for the rest of the AAR :D )
I don't know who he is compared to your guy though. A great cousin or sth ?
The schemer was married to a Salamis, had daughters but cheated on her severaal times and eventually choked before accessing the Senate. }}

{{ They had a chile that survived ergo Alexandros. I think that's it :p ( I will not create such drama for the rest of the AAR :D )
I don't know who he is compared to your guy though. A great cousin or sth ?
The schemer was married to a Salamis, had daughters but cheated on her severaal times and eventually choked before accessing the Senate. }}

{{Well since Christian IV is the son of Christian III, who was the brother of Margrethe, who was the mother of Alexandros, i guess that makes them cousins. So do you think there should be a Raul/Hvide family reunion every few years, or would that not be feasible in a world such as this?

And to clear up some confusion, both sons of my original character are either dead or bedridden and unable to move by now. Valdemar the warrior died in the struggle for the inheritance after Frederik died. Though the official reason is because Valdemar was proven to be involved in the assassination of his sister. And Christian III is currently bedridden and unable to speak or write, because of a serious bout of food poisoning that paralysed his vocal cords and hands. With his father being incapable of acting in any meaningful capacity it falls to his 36 year old son, Christian IV, to manage the the family's holdings and act as its representative in the senate.}}

{{Well since Christian IV is the son of Christian III, who was the brother of Margrethe, who was the mother of Alexandros, i guess that makes them cousins. So do you think there should be a Raul/Hvide family reunion every few years, or would that not be feasible in a world such as this?

And to clear up some confusion, both sons of my original character are either dead or bedridden and unable to move by now. Valdemar the warrior died in the struggle for the inheritance after Frederik died. Though the official reason is because Valdemar was proven to be involved in the assassination of his sister. And Christian III is currently bedridden and unable to speak or write, because of a serious bout of food poisoning that paralysed his vocal cords and hands. With his father being incapable of acting in any meaningful capacity it falls to his 36 year old son, Christian IV, to manage the the family's holdings and act as its representative in the senate.}}

{{ Well I just said that it had been years since my character visited the Hvide holdings but nothing prevents them of improving their relations in the future :p
Although these cousins have nearly 30 years of difference in age :D (Alexandros is 63 by this time) }}

Senator Bubba Azizid

Bubba turned to the new face and smiled to Christian.

"I am not speaking a heresy, friend. The Holy
Khagan Angeloi decreed Imperial protection for all Christians, heretic or Orthodox alike. This is in line with the teachings of the Holy Church and of God's Word. We have seen many heathens turn to the light, Pisan and Mongol alike, and God knows those humans toiling under the Satanic chains of the Xenoi chötgör can and should find Him too. What is controversial about saying that lost souls can find the true faith and serve the true Imperium? Xenoi aren't lost souls."

He paused.

"Have we even mapped all of Africa to get to Ceylon? How would we get there? Our Navy is in the Meditteranean. We'd have to build new ships in the Red Sea to invade the lands north of there, and I doubt the
Negroes south of Funj have much in way of wealth on the eastern coast of the continent. Mali and them, where the money is, are either fallen to Xenoi or on the opposite end of Africa..."

{{ Well I just said that it had been years since my character visited the Hvide holdings but nothing prevents them of improving their relations in the future :p
Although these cousins have nearly 30 years of difference in age :D (Alexandros is 63 by this time) }}

{{As to the age difference, Christian III was far too occupied with running his trade company, and after his father died his war with his brother, so he did not have much time for women until he was in his late forties.}}

Senator Quintus Ovidius Mojmirid
Quintus sat alone in a rather empty section of the senate. While many senators had begun their negotiations about how to proceed against Pisa and other economic issues, his own ideas about a Senate Funded expedition to Cathay seemed to have fallen on def ears. While some had picked up the mantel of exploration to the Far East, they did not seem to hold the same vigor, at least that is how Quintus felt about it. He watched the crowds of men in their deliberations. He wasn't sure if it was his emotional outburst at the President of the Senate, or his vehement desire to travel and learn about the east, but Quintus felt as thought he had some how ostracized himself from the rest of the senate. Perhaps he had been too loud, for a new senator, but the Imperium remained on the fore front of his mind. If no one else would champion the wealth from production possible to be gained via trade through Cathay, then he would remain the sole voice of a possibly bright future for the whole of the Empire, for all people who call themselves Roman.

"Excuse me." Quintus called out to one of the servants, who immediately rushed over to him. "Fetch me a plate of Fruit, Figs, Grapes, ect. I am feeling a sweet tooth coming on." The servant bowed and ran off to fetch the plate.

Senator Bubba Azizid

Bubba turned to the new face and smiled to Christian.

"I am not speaking a heresy, friend. The Holy
Khagan Angeloi decreed Imperial protection for all Christians, heretic or Orthodox alike. This is in line with the teachings of the Holy Church and of God's Word. We have seen many heathens turn to the light, Pisan and Mongol alike, and God knows those humans toiling under the Satanic chains of the Xenoi chötgör can and should find Him too. What is controversial about saying that lost souls can find the true faith and serve the true Imperium? Xenoi aren't lost souls."

He paused.

"Have we even mapped all of Africa to get to Ceylon? How would we get there? Our Navy is in the Meditteranean. We'd have to build new ships in the Red Sea to invade the lands north of there, and I doubt the
Negroes south of Funj have much in way of wealth on the eastern coast of the continent. Mali and them, where the money is, are either fallen to Xenoi or on the opposite end of Africa..."

Senator Christian IV Hvide.

Truly your knowledge of the faith far eclipses my own, and know that what i said was not meant as an accusation, merely that some might jump to the conclusion that your enlightened and wise stance might be seen as heretical by people less learned.

And with regards the navy, does Abyssinia not have its own navy, did proud Valentios not stage his explorations from the isle of Socotra? If the navy of Valentios still exists it could be used to ferry the necessary troops."

Senator Christian IV Hvide.

Truly your knowledge of the faith far eclipses my own, and know that what i said was not meant as an accusation, merely that some might jump to the conclusion that your enlightened and wise stance might be seen as heretical by people less learned.

And with regards the navy, does Abyssinia not have its own navy, did proud Valentios not stage his explorations from the isle of Socotra? If the navy of Valentios still exists it could be used to ferry the necessary troops."

Senator Alexandros Raoul :

"I have to object, cousin, such an expedition. The Emperor did not allow us to propose amendments so we should stick to the matters at hand. Maybe you could ask the advice of His Excellency when he arrives for he will surely know such things and maybe your ideas will fall into the good ear, maybe ..."

Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
Indeed there is no heresy to hoping to save lost souls and I find deep and genuine hope in your answer Senator Azizid. I admit it was unfair to ask of such a near the line of heresy question, but I wondered were on the line your mind would take. For now I come back to the early point of wishing to talk about money. Simply put I believe in this time of such distress of our resources there must be sacrifice on every side. Therefore I have considered in my spare time to find what sacrifice that the red demes could make and I find the answer disheartening. That answer is not much more than we already have. We already have put forth a policy to help with the expenditures of the army therefore we must continue it. That is good but helping decrease army expenditures is the only money saving policy that we can do. The white and blue have yet to pitch in for the imperium. Yet the worst of the blues do more than strengthen their power of their largess over the small traders with few ships with more duties to be paid. In fact the smartest policy maybe of allowing the whites to both renegotiate the terms of the loans (-1.00 interest annum) and encourage better protection of small holders (+10% production efficacy). If they are forced to do this alone the reds and the whites end up being the only ones contributing to rescue the empire. Then I thought is there not a method that the Pisans use to keep their ships on land to not have to pay for the upkeep? Indeed the thing, I think it is called 'Mothballing' may save us some money in the short run. At least enough to get out of the red.

What are your thoughts on this and perhaps convincing the blues to call to mothball some of the fleet?

*after Hvide's actions*

Well friend I must ask how was the wine?

Also about the dark landmass to the south Senator Azizid I know not if it doth not but continue south but certainly there some coastlines as far as the imperium knows. However there are ports of ours in the darkness of Abyssinia that have imperial ships there and can do missions of exploration from there. As for Pisa I must admit I worry that no matter the seeming ease we will end up spending more than we get. However do not mistake me for some Pisan apologist. They will get their reward, for some remember those dark days of the treachery and guile of the Pisan and Xenos war.

Senator Ulysses Aelious
A note too Senator Hvide delivered by slave.
"Dear Senator Hvide,
when you have a moment, could you come meet me for some food and discussion about a topic that I believe will be of much interest to you and your family.
Thank you,
Ulysses Aelious the One Eyed."

Senator Leon Cortez

To Senator Di Capponi
"Esteemed senator, I have some words to discuss with you about a potential solution to the Pisan problem. While I do not share your sentiments about pisa, I find your proposal of a peaceful way to beat Pisa interesting. I don't speak for my own demes, nor do you for yours, but together we could potentially drum up support for a solution that benefits us both, as well as the whole imperium, of course. With the amount of heathens in our borders from new conquest, as well as the new question of whether half-xenoi hybrids have souls, and even the church being called to contribute to the imperium, I'm sure you and the rest of your demes would not be opposed if some of the money this policy would gain could go to the church. I am no zealot, but I know that anyone in the imperium who is not a true christian does not truly owe their allegiance to it, and it is the church's duty to assure the religious unity of the land by saving souls."

{{Even the people not particularly religious would appear as zealots to outsiders, I figure}}

{{Have no fear, we will enjoy our fair share of fun...burning a blue imposter during a session, yes please. I guess the president will take care of the preparations for the spectacle during recess? I already feel so enlightened all of a sudden... :D

Wait, what is this...a red saving a blue? A Roman saving a Mongol? This is so anti-madness, he could have just appointed a new Azizid for the new session, now I am sad :/}}

Last edited:
Senator Mahdi ibn Tarek Rashid

Once the session ends, Senator Rashid ambles in his distacted way over to Senator Mojmirid*
"Salaam, Quintus... may I call you Quintus? Well, anyway, your proposal for the Senators to organize the expedition struck my interest. I would be willing to invest in this venture, for even a small portion of the yearly dividend we receive from the trade of Rashid could almost finance the whole of the expedition.
Surely, this map is a sign from Yasu himself. This realm of Serica could be a godsend to the entire Imperium, both as an ally against the Horde of Timur and a trading partner."

{{Have no fear, we will enjoy our fair share of fun...burning a blue imposter during a session, yes please. I guess the president will take care of the preparations for the spectacle during recess? I already feel so enlightened all of a sudden... :D

Wait, what is this...a red saving a blue? A Roman saving a Mongol? This is so anti-madness, he could have just appointed a new Azizid for the new session, now I am sad :/}}

{{Bubba's been getting a lot of help from other senators, from some quick vocabulary tips to... well, I'm sure the servant who brought the wine will remain confused about why one senator took another's belt and dipped it in wine, only to give it back again.}}

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos

*Titos uses his free time to load up a plate with a quite big selection of all the delicacies that are presented to the Senators, before strolling through the halls and gardens until he finds Senator Pylaeus.*

Ah, dear Decius. You should try this pastries from Aragon, they are delicious. But in more serious matters... it doesn't seem our Demes – or the session as a whole – gets moving. By now, mostly the matter of the war with Pisa has been thoroughly discussed, whereas contributions on the matters of expedition and diplomacy have gone by largely unnoticed. So we should talk about this, preferably together with the other whites to present a largely unified opinion at this.

*He beckons and eunuch to come nearer.*

Man, be so kind and tell the other white Senators that they can find us here and that they should come if possible immediately.

*He dismisses the eunuch and looks back towards Senator Pylaeus.*

Also: We dearly need to wake our damn speaker, I nearly start to regret our choice. It was good that you presented our policy and I think it has found at least some open ears, but it nee to be proposed by him or it won't become official.

Senator Christian IV Hvide:
Senator Alexandros Raoul :

"I have to object, cousin, such an expedition. The Emperor did not allow us to propose amendments so we should stick to the matters at hand. Maybe you could ask the advice of His Excellency when he arrives for he will surely know such things and maybe your ideas will fall into the good ear, maybe ..."
You are of course right right cousin, if The Emperor didn't ask for amendments he must have a reason. Though on the other hand, The Emperor has the entire Imperium to care take so the insignificant heathen realms to the south and east might be beneath his notice. If so it is our solemn duty to point out to him, that the greatness of his vision he has missed some heathen realms ripe for invasion.

Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
Indeed there is no heresy to hoping to save lost souls and I find deep and genuine hope in your answer Senator Azizid. I admit it was unfair to ask of such a near the line of heresy question, but I wondered were on the line your mind would take. For now I come back to the early point of wishing to talk about money. Simply put I believe in this time of such distress of our resources there must be sacrifice on every side. Therefore I have considered in my spare time to find what sacrifice that the red demes could make and I find the answer disheartening. That answer is not much more than we already have. We already have put forth a policy to help with the expenditures of the army therefore we must continue it. That is good but helping decrease army expenditures is the only money saving policy that we can do. The white and blue have yet to pitch in for the imperium. Yet the worst of the blues do more than strengthen their power of their largess over the small traders with few ships with more duties to be paid. In fact the smartest policy maybe of allowing the whites to both renegotiate the terms of the loans (-1.00 interest annum) and encourage better protection of small holders (+10% production efficacy). If they are forced to do this alone the reds and the whites end up being the only ones contributing to rescue the empire. Then I thought is there not a method that the Pisans use to keep their ships on land to not have to pay for the upkeep? Indeed the thing, I think it is called 'Mothballing' may save us some money in the short run. At least enough to get out of the red.

What are your thoughts on this and perhaps convincing the blues to call to mothball some of the fleet?

*after Hvide's actions*

Well friend I must ask how was the wine?

Also about the dark landmass to the south Senator Azizid I know not if it doth not but continue south but certainly there some coastlines as far as the imperium knows. However there are ports of ours in the darkness of Abyssinia that have imperial ships there and can do missions of exploration from there. As for Pisa I must admit I worry that no matter the seeming ease we will end up spending more than we get. However do not mistake me for some Pisan apologist. They will get their reward, for some remember those dark days of the treachery and guile of the Pisan and Xenos war.

*Christian takes a drink from the goblet, ignorant of the fact that it was used as an impromptu dye. "Hmmm It tastes like sweat, and fear, and." He pauses for moment trying to place the taste of the wine. "Sicilian grapes, i think. I must say while the taste is novel, i must say, i do not care much for it.

Senator Ulysses Aelious
A note too Senator Hvide delivered by slave.
"Dear Senator Hvide,
when you have a moment, could you come meet me for some food and discussion about a topic that I believe will be of much interest to you and your family.
Thank you,
Ulysses Aelious the One Eyed."

*Seeing the letter Christian raises an eyebrow and turns to the gathered senators.* "My apologies senators, but it appears that my presence is desired by one of our elder colleagues, and i think it would be disrespectful of me not to at least hear what he has to say. But cousin Alexanandros before i leave, it would please me and the rest of the family greatly if you and yours would join us at the family castle for the celebrations of Saint John's eve this year. I think that a family reunion is long overdue don't you think?"

*After hearing his cousin's response he takes his leave and goes to meet the One Eyed senator.*

"Greetings Senator Aelious, you wished to speak with me?" He says with a curt bow.

Senator Decius Pylaeus

*Decius retreats into a shadowy corner in the atrium, deeply contemplating the direction the session went in. Realizing that that idiot of a droungarious is going to disturb the senate discussion after recess, his expression becomes somewhat disgusted. Suddenly, Senator Melissenos appears in front of him.*

"I'm afraid I just lost my appetite, Titos.
We should talk with senators di Capponi and Ouranos about their opinions, it is good that you already reached out to them. I have not seen the new senator of the Colombo family, even though I know that he is formally a part of the senate by now.
As far as the expedition and the diplomatic connections with Serica are concerned, I oppose both of them right now. The expedition would cost money we do not have, maybe we can join the proposal of senator Mojmirid to fund the expedition privately. What do you think? Our diplomatic corps cannot possible bear additional tasks right now, this might change once we integrate some of our more independent subjects. As long as that did not happen I would refrain from making contact with Serica, since it should either be done right or not at all, and Javier Espinosa is the wrong man for the task, no matter how you look at it.

The most important task is the senate policy, though. I think we can count on the support of the majority of reds and even one at least one of the blues. *Decius allows himself an honest smile.*
It is high time for our speaker to officially propose the policy, I am starting to grow a little disappointed in him. I hope that he can explain his lethargy, for all of us. What worries me even more is the fact that the reds appear to be facing the same problem. I would talk to them so that they might officially propose the idea in our stead, but their leader is absent as well. If this does not change, we need to strike a deal with the blues instead, yes, I have come to realize this fact, but I'd like to avoid it.
{{Realpolitik strikes me hard again}}

What are your views on the expeditionary and diplomatical issues, my friend?"

{{No one wants to make a deal with the Blues despite that I'm the only Speaker who has participated so far... At this point whichever missing Speaker shows up first is probably going to be the one the Blues make a deal with. White Demes, you might just have to let us fund an expedition to get a policy made.}}

{{I think we will wait until the recess ends, then the pragmatism and necessity will take over, don't get ahead of yourselves just yet my blue friends. But it is really paralyzing if the speakers are not present. The funny part is, if neither of the other speakers show up there will be no policy, no matter what we propose :)}}