• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raventhefuhrer

Colonel
110 Badges
Feb 1, 2009
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Hey guys, I'm a long-time Paradox fan that you may have seen post across the forums over the years. I enjoy and own EU4, CK2, Victoria, HoI4, Cities Skylines, and Stellaris, so I think I have the bonafides to say that I'm a pretty big fan of this developer.

Today it was announced that Paradox has partnered with Eugen Systems, a French-based developer of tactical multiplayer games to make this new game, Steel Division. Before now, Eugen has authored previous gems like Wargame: Red Dragon http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/ a game that I've played just as obsessively as any of Paradox's games - so if you want some idea of what Steel division might be like, I'd take a look at Red Dragon. It's a similar style of gameplay, set during the late Cold War.

I know a lot of Paradoxians are probably waking up right now and seeing this new forum. Maybe a lot of you are wary of the game, or wondering how it fits into Paradox's normally grand-strategy oriented portfolio. I'm simply making this post to assure you that Steel Division isn't a game that you should pass on because I know that Eugen, under Paradox's guidance, can create deep and meaningful gameplay. If I'm such a huge Paradox fan and I'm hyped for the game, then there's no reason none of you can't like it as well.

Obviously I'm not a developer, but I've played Eugen games for quite some time, including the spiritual predecessor to this one - Wargame: Red Dragon, so I'd be happy to answer general questions about what kind of game this will be, or what the gameplay will probably be like.

Not sure what's so great about another WW2 title, it's basically a step back considering so much new tech will be missed. The only hope is that Eugen will make an outstanding game that will be able to bring something new to this overdone theme and starting from this could build up on the true and only wargame theme, Cold War.

id argue that its actually better suted for a ww2 game. aircraft and aa can be integrated far better and armour values shouldnt go completely ridiculous.

the most interesting thing though is in whatway they will update the engine. that they will need infantry weapons like atgs and drawn artillery is obvious but what else they will do will be very interesting

I don't know how the heck you were spammed by LGB planes, most on a card are 2. Also ATGMs have the lowest number per card from infantry except manpads probably.

You meant artillery?

I don't know how the heck you were spammed by LGB planes, most on a card are 2. Also ATGMs have the lowest number per card from infantry except manpads probably.

You meant artillery?

You're taking me too literally. I meant high tech crap in general. Newer time periods and gear aren't necessarily better. Each era offers different gameplay opportunities, and I'm tired of the late 80s for now.

So only a few years till red dragon and we can fight in east asia? ;)

more importantly though, taking bets on if the axis or allies are gonna get nerfed due to whine.
Whine will be to nerf the allies of course. Most people who play WW2 games are Wehraboos, and they won't like it when Panthers aren't invincible and Shermans have the same frontal armor of a Tiger plus aren't totally useless in the hands of someone who knows how to maneuver and play the game. Happens every single time.

Germany is the 1944 version of US+USSR in Wargame, where people expect the M1 or T-80U to be invincible (which one depending on birthplace and/or ideology) and are personally offended when it isn't.

Graphic is right, there's too much high tech dickery in Wargame, and being able to get back to basics will, I think, improve gameplay a lot. I'm also optimistic about the 'phases' of combat system. It sounds like you need to start with more modest forces, and then over the course of the battle your meeting engagement can escalate to allowing more powerful units. That'd be an improvement from Wargame, where everyone starts with two superheavy tanks and tries to slug it out at the start.

Also, I've been told that they're only going to have one game mode - neither destruction or conquest - and I think that's a great move so that the player base isn't split between two preferences.

Whine will be to nerf the allies of course. Most people who play WW2 games are Wehraboos, and they won't like it when Panthers aren't invincible and Shermans have the same frontal armor of a Tiger plus aren't totally useless in the hands of someone who knows how to maneuver and play the game. Happens every single time.

Germany is the 1944 version of US+USSR in Wargame, where people expect the M1 or T-80U to be invincible (which one depending on birthplace and/or ideology) and are personally offended when it isn't.

TIGER UNDEDABLE EUGEN PLZ FIX

Soo..we will have like 5 Allied divisions versus 1 Axis division?

Unlikely, I suspect a few other divisions that were made up of non germans would be there too. The thing is though, the western forces simply outnumber the Germans in terms of different countries with different kit and different tactics, theres also the side argument to be made of "so what if the allies have more options", as arguably it doesnt effect the game in a bad way given both sides unless you start a game differently will always have the same number of players, or is intended to, so number of options doesnt necessarily give advantage and is more true for a WW2 game where most equipment was relatively equal to each other, other than the German big cats.

The bandwith in normandy is pretty huge when it comes to unit diversity, USA Armored Divisions, Infantry, Airborne, Rangers can somewhere fit in, French Armored Division, Polish Armored Division, UK Armored Division, Infantry, Airborne, Commandos, Canadian Divisions, German Heer 3rd rank Infantry Divisons up to first rank Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger, PzGren Division of the SS, Pz Divisions of Heer and SS, LW Feld Divisions, Tank Bataillons with french tanks, Fallschirm StuG Brigade, Osttruppen etc.etc.
I think diversity will not be a problem.