• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can negate inflation. Research technology for Governors - those reduce inflation. Don´t mint money but relay on your yearly income so inflation doesn´t rise.
There are random events that might reduce inflation by 2% so having 2% or less is not that bad. With some luck it might be reduced to 0 again. For more infor about inflation and the economy read:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?238483-Economy-FAQ-for-1.09

Ok :D,oh,and have a way to disable attrition?Even if I need mod the game,I try

Coming back to the original question of this topic, don't you think £8 (on Steam) is a bit expensive for a EUII "extension" ? Game of that age are usually essentially free, either £1.99 or coming as a gift in a package with a more recent game. For just two more pounds we can buy EUIII with all extensions. Or for free we can have AGCEEP and many other mods...

Actually I found this page while I was searching if there were some chance of getting/making an open-source version of Europa Universalis II or similar...

If you have played EU II so much that you think that you have exhausted all possibilities with it, you might not want to try For the Glory. Otherwise, I'd recommend it.

Coming back to the original question of this topic, don't you think £8 (on Steam) is a bit expensive for a EUII "extension" ?

No. FtG is far more than an extension or an add-on for EU2.

Game of that age are usually essentially free, either £1.99 or coming as a gift in a package with a more recent game. For just two more pounds we can buy EUIII with all extensions. Or for free we can have AGCEEP and many other mods...

Mods make more out of a game. But AGCEEP under EU2 had far less options for scripting than AGCEEP under FtG has.
FtG has the same advantage that EU2 has - it uses far fewer resources than EU3 and runs good on older or weaker systems where EU3 would slow to a crawl.

Actually I found this page while I was searching if there were some chance of getting/making an open-source version of Europa Universalis II or similar...

Why? EU2 is a good game and deserves to be bought.

FtG has the same advantage that EU2 has - it uses far fewer resources than EU3 and runs good on older or weaker systems where EU3 would slow to a crawl.

That's a fair point, but it might not be applicable to everyone.

CD said:
No. FtG is far more than an extension or an add-on for EU2.

Sadly, it's not really. Even if it isn't extended that much in terms of code modders could have made better use of it and create (or rather finish) more mods using new mechanics.

AGCEEP is mostly not updated to new commands to this day. And that's only one example.

Well, For the Glory is obviously the best if you're looking for something less complicated/stuffed than EU3 or EU4, or if you're EU2 die-hard, or a modder looking for new possibilities (well, FtG did great on that front).

Obviously it's only choice for me or you, but others...I ain't so sure. Mods (at least finished/working ones) are worth giving it a go - AGCEEP, PV or Watkabaoi.

Actually after my post I've been giving a try to the demo.

First disappointment:
It's what I hoped too. I could have bought the game if it was able to run on my netbook. It got a little further than EU3 (which I think just didn't want to start because of the incompatible resolution, except with an external screen, an old problem of Paradox games), but comparable to EUIV (i.e. I can have the menu but nothing more). It's not really a problem of performance here (as it is for EUIV) but a problem of portability, I guess FtG needs a real computer with a proper graphical card (on top of not being natively playable under linux - which by the way would maybe have open the possibility of porting it to Android tablets). When I click on a signet to choose a scenario it just crashes.

Second disappointment: I had a very hard time to spot out the differences from the native version. At least there should be some additional tutorial entry to show what is new. Especially in the demo, it sounds like basic marketing. But I've played without any mod (which is the default configuration) because I'm not used to AGCEEP and I wanted to compare to what I know (even if it was a long time ago). Any with your comments it now looks like the main thing brought by FtG is the widening of modding possibilities for AGCEEP, isn't it?

Second disappointment: I had a very hard time to spot out the differences from the native version. At least there should be some additional tutorial entry to show what is new. Especially in the demo, it sounds like basic marketing. But I've played without any mod (which is the default configuration) because I'm not used to AGCEEP and I wanted to compare to what I know (even if it was a long time ago). Any with your comments it now looks like the main thing brought by FtG is the widening of modding possibilities for AGCEEP, isn't it?

To come right to the point, FtG isn't so much a "different" EU II, but an improved version. Basic game play is not drastically different and (if memory serves) mechanics are identical.

@Karl - to be honest demo was not really that good, especially performance was terrible. I guess that after patch 1.1 or 1.2 performance actually got much better - I can assure you ;) All you need is a piece of graphic card (8MB will do) and you're ready to go ;)

FtG 1.3 beta with AGCEEP, Plvs Vltra or A4K is actually the real shizz :D

Also I guess 1.3 betapatches did some changes to resolution issues and had some technical improvements. Anyway, believe me that real FtG begins from patch 1.2 ;)

FtG 1.3 beta with AGCEEP
Today, AGCEEP is the sad relic of better times. And I would even call it the anti-FtG-mod, because it implements none of the possibilities the new game offers and clings to the old EU2-system. No updated events or triggers or commands, no new map, not even new shields or religions or anything. AGCEEP is the symbol of failure and without Michaels dedication it would have been all nails you need to close FtG's coffin.

Today, AGCEEP is the sad relic of better times. And I would even call it the anti-FtG-mod, because it implements none of the possibilities the new game offers and clings to the old EU2-system. No updated events or triggers or commands, no new map, not even new shields or religions or anything. AGCEEP is the symbol of failure and without Michaels dedication it would have been all nails you need to close FtG's coffin.

Nonsense. The last version of AGCEEP that would run under EU2 was 1.58 and since then we had 4 betas of AGCEEP 1.59 open for discussion and suggestions for changes. And since the first version of 1.59 AGCEEP does no longer run under EU2 because the new commands and triggers that require FtG are implemented in suggested changes and new events

Well, wretched truth is that AGCEEP didn't evolve that much during FtG and in fact it's not exploiting all modding potential FtG has. While it's still fun to play, after many games you start to realize how limited AGCEEP is, how often it fails to respond to in-game situation, etc. Only some addcore commands and pictures were added from FtG features.

So yeah, AGCEEP is pretty much outdated, but still can be fun, especially to someone who haven't played it that much.

Well, wretched truth is that AGCEEP didn't evolve that much during FtG ..

Changelog here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?524192-Compiling-1.59

and in fact it's not exploiting all modding potential FtG has.

No mod does that. In part that is because the final version of FtG 1.3 has yet to be released and only MichaelM knows what changes to FtG may still happen until then and in part it´s because the changes (e.g. religions, cultures) from FtG 1.2 to FtG 1.3 broke all existing mods because database changes did not take mods into account. It´s a very tedious work to get mods to run without errors again by adding back in with additional files in the mod what worked before by using the standard vanilla files.