• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AL82

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Feb 25, 2021
  • Empire of Sin
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
Seems like this game is dying or dead already ... No responses, no feed back from players, support or devs. No one seems motivated enough to modding this game or any efforts to further improve this game (to include myself). Have been playing often and keeping an eye on this game as many like myself had high hopes and had the impression this game had great potential ... it still does - ish. However with so many disappointments and let downs it's quite obvious from how many where tuned in to how many are left that either this game is dying and feels abandoned or already dead and on some sort of auto course into darkness to be forgotten. 1k+ players/potential players used to pour in to make suggestions, comments and report bugs and such to help bring more satisfaction to this game daily, now ... lots of negativity and resentfulness every other day/week (such as this post). Sad and disappointing. Is this it? Game dead or what?

Last edited:
The Precinct update came out exactly two months ago. I dont think development on the game is dead. Instead, I think you are seeing the results of a small development team and the Christmas break.

I would like to hear from them about future plans, but I think it is WAY too early to be worrying about them abandoning the game.

As it relates to modding, my understanding is that the modding tools for this game are very limited in what they can do. With that in mind, I can understand why we havent seen anything substantial. It's another area they can definitely improve upon, but - again - modding has been around for less than 2 months at this point (two months that included a holiday break).

The game isnt dead by any stretch - but hopefully we do start hearing from devs again soon. This game has always had tremendous untapped potential. It would be nice to know that they are working to realize that potential.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I once remember a game called 'Battletech'...so much untapped potential.
The worst thing that can happen is that everything interesting to mod is locked behind hard-coded modules. Regarding communication. Well, I do not expect much at this point. I have seen developers communicating with their base on a regular schedule and even if it is only a few things made in that time, it feels reassuring. I am looking at games like Cartel Tycoon, Workers and Resources or Airport CEO. Sometimes, a sign of life is everything needed to keep people from bothering/worrying sometimes.

Reactions:
having played a number of other paradox titles, the initial reviews for empire of sin really put me off from the game at first.

finally downloaded it last week during the steam sale, and its been a blast. by far more accessible than hoi, ck, eu, and such. maybe even easier to play at first than stellaris.

i'm only about 30ish hours in (haven't been able to put it down) but the combat is satisfying. the characters are rich and unique. the historical period we're dealing with is fun as hell. the layout of chicago makes sense and creates dramatic fighting for neghborhoods. and the duke ellington "anatomy of a murder" style jazz tunes in some of the rackets!?! so good.

but most of all, it seems the game strikes a nice balance of letting us players go as deep or easy with the game as we want.

there have been times before a war where i'll do trades with a separate mob, and protect them for a while. burn their resources. setup agreements with their best allies and then have those allies sever ties. scout their precinct to see the best means of attack. and just choosing who to go after next, based on chicago's layout and mob strength is fun in itself. it's these types of moments in empire of sin where i feel like a mob boss pulling strings in prohibition chicago, just damn cool.

so i only just joined the party, but i sure as hell hope the music ain't stopping anytime soon.

screenshots of where the game started seem to show that paradox have taken development of this title seriously. if we continue to get updates at the rate the've been comin in so far (say a big free update and a dlc per year), i'll definitely be happy.

Reactions:
I bought this game on steam sale serching for a worthy succersor of Gangsters organized crime--- its fine and quite fresh. This game got me, i am playing it hard and i like it. Since it is a Paradox title i belive that if it will be developed and patched it has great potential. It remind me some of Jagged Alliance 2 how ever i would like to see a possibility of creating raids with namles assosiates with random generated names whos would serve as cannon fodder during assults but it is rather a future thing. At this moment i am satisfied, i would be happy to see more DLC and more characters. FInnaly it would be nice to create a custom boss with traits and certein nationality. Still i thing this tittle is worth of further investment.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My main qualms with the game are the tactical battle is somewhat repeatative and playing X-Com2 and its predecessors as well, rather 'meh' and basic. The gang management aspect and business simulation somewhat is sub-par when compared with City of Gangsters or older titles having the Mafia-theme. The game has its moments graphic-wise and has a nice story to follow. It is immersive but is in constant danger of getting boring. My 5 cents.

Reactions:
having played a number of other paradox titles, the initial reviews for empire of sin really put me off from the game at first.

finally downloaded it last week during the steam sale, and its been a blast. by far more accessible than hoi, ck, eu, and such. maybe even easier to play at first than stellaris.

i'm only about 30ish hours in (haven't been able to put it down) but the combat is satisfying. the characters are rich and unique. the historical period we're dealing with is fun as hell. the layout of chicago makes sense and creates dramatic fighting for neghborhoods. and the duke ellington "anatomy of a murder" style jazz tunes in some of the rackets!?! so good.

but most of all, it seems the game strikes a nice balance of letting us players go as deep or easy with the game as we want.

there have been times before a war where i'll do trades with a separate mob, and protect them for a while. burn their resources. setup agreements with their best allies and then have those allies sever ties. scout their precinct to see the best means of attack. and just choosing who to go after next, based on chicago's layout and mob strength is fun in itself. it's these types of moments in empire of sin where i feel like a mob boss pulling strings in prohibition chicago, just damn cool.

so i only just joined the party, but i sure as hell hope the music ain't stopping anytime soon.

screenshots of where the game started seem to show that paradox have taken development of this title seriously. if we continue to get updates at the rate the've been comin in so far (say a big free update and a dlc per year), i'll definitely be happy.

I bought this game on steam sale serching for a worthy succersor of Gangsters organized crime--- its fine and quite fresh. This game got me, i am playing it hard and i like it. Since it is a Paradox title i belive that if it will be developed and patched it has great potential. It remind me some of Jagged Alliance 2 how ever i would like to see a possibility of creating raids with namles assosiates with random generated names whos would serve as cannon fodder during assults but it is rather a future thing. At this moment i am satisfied, i would be happy to see more DLC and more characters. FInnaly it would be nice to create a custom boss with traits and certein nationality. Still i thing this tittle is worth of further investment.

My main qualms with the game are the tactical battle is somewhat repeatative and playing X-Com2 and its predecessors as well, rather 'meh' and basic. The gang management aspect and business simulation somewhat is sub-par when compared with City of Gangsters or older titles having the Mafia-theme. The game has its moments graphic-wise and has a nice story to follow. It is immersive but is in constant danger of getting boring. My 5 cents.

The premise of the game is great, the base gameplay is interesting.

The problem is there is no longterm strategic game other than 'rinse and repeat' tactical combat. Things like The Cops make no sense whatsoever and a mass murderer can kill in front of them without concern. It is an open world without purpose and it gets boring after the first neighborhood with very limited replay appeal.

If we had reason to think they were still working on the game it would be different. Unfortunately the silence is deafening and I will be very surprised if they make any effort whatsoever from this point going forward.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think that the reviews and lack of modding really killed any chance of a community to form around the game. The developers might not have abandoned the game, but there's not enough interest to keep the wiki updated/edited (I had to do my first edit on a wiki ever since someone copy pasted the patch blurb from another game and didn't switch out the names) or a subreddit engaged.

It also probably doesn't help that there isn't a whole lot of variety between each new run. Same gangsters, same layouts to the neighborhoods, etc. The only variation is the type of loot, and that has too much RNG IMO to it.

I really like the game, but there's some flaws in how it's laid out.

Reactions:
I once remember a game called 'Battletech'...so much untapped potential.
The worst thing that can happen is that everything interesting to mod is locked behind hard-coded modules. Regarding communication. Well, I do not expect much at this point. I have seen developers communicating with their base on a regular schedule and even if it is only a few things made in that time, it feels reassuring. I am looking at games like Cartel Tycoon, Workers and Resources or Airport CEO. Sometimes, a sign of life is everything needed to keep people from bothering/worrying sometimes.

Just to comment on Battletech, it really has a much wider modding scene now than it did even after the first DLC. Career mode and them actually putting in some modding support really opened up people's imaginations. It's a bit harder to find mods now though, since most of the mod creators have a beef with Modnexus and their new policies around modding.

I was just referring to the devs leaving the game in a state where it still had a huge potential to evolve like expanding the map into Steiner space or having vehicle assets in the game on a regular base. More Comstar shenennigans and the like. Yes, modders kept and still keep breathing fresh air into it but in my eyes the game has been officially abandoned. I am a bit disappointed. I like the BT franchise and had high hopes for getting a very good game offering a 'complete' Battletech experience. Mercs are a great faction and yet we are stuck with the 4-mech lance game. That said, I would not discuss BT here any further otherwise this thread derails off-topic.

I was just referring to the devs leaving the game in a state where it still had a huge potential to evolve like expanding the map into Steiner space or having vehicle assets in the game on a regular base. More Comstar shenennigans and the like. Yes, modders kept and still keep breathing fresh air into it but in my eyes the game has been officially abandoned. I am a bit disappointed. I like the BT franchise and had high hopes for getting a very good game offering a 'complete' Battletech experience. Mercs are a great faction and yet we are stuck with the 4-mech lance game. That said, I would not discuss BT here any further otherwise this thread derails off-topic.
Understandable.

If the game no longer gets future releases, on the plus side, doing a large rehaul would be possible without fear of updates breaking it.

I explored the modding tutorials and files and they basically released all the source code aside from the core engine code. This includes almost everything in the game and is written in LUA and BRScript (which is there dialog system). There is a lot to modify and most of the assets in the game would fit some major rehauls.

So if someone wanted a spiritual successor of Gangsters Organized Crime, you can do a lot of tweaking to get it closer to that. I may take a short at it but its a lot to understand. The tutorials they did release do a pretty good job explaining things if you take the time.

It's telling that this game doesn't even get a mention in the Paradox sale weekend. They still owe people either a refund or a second expansion though.
They've got to, at the very least tell people what is going on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is that how it works? I suppose there’s always an element of risk when paying for things before they’ve even been produced.