• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nalivayko

General
49 Badges
Mar 15, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
Played as Russia on hard/aggressive 1.08/1.09IGC

I've heard some complaints that Russia was too weak in the new version of Improved Grand Campaign. Land military tech level 1, Khanates are strengthened, etc. I made myself a mental note to prove those people wrong, and here I go.

Part I. The Bear Awakens

In year 1492 Russia is still a sleeping bear, thought weak and harmless by nations around it. Its economy isn't the richest in Europe, while its soldiers are armed with outdated weapons. However, Russia does boast an army of 76,000 infantry (streltsi corps) and 54,000 cavalry, mostly recruited from loyal Cossacks and Tatars. The army is led by many able commanders, among whom Danylo Kholmskiy is judged to be the best, being expirienced in siege warfare . Russian treasury only has 150,000 golden roubles in it. As it was said, Russia isn't the richest country in Europe, but cheap cost of its infantry should compensate its relatively low cash resources.

On Feb 1492 the news reach the Czar that the infidel nation of Granada is annexed by Spain. Ivan III dreams of his own conquests. After the fall of Constantinople, captured by the Ottoman Turks in 1453, Moscow was given the title of Thrid Rome, the successor of the Byzantine Empire. By marrying Sophia Palaeologus, a relative and, in a sense, successor of the Byzantine emperors, Ivan III further cemented his claim on the heritage of Byzantine empire. Byzantine two-headed eagle was adopted as a symbol of new Russia and Moscow Patriarh became the head of the Orthodox Church.

Ambitious and restless, Ivan III is not content with the present size of Russia. He lays the claim to all territores of old Kievan State and all lands where Russians are known to live. Since the majority of those lands are held by rulers of different than Orthodox religion there is no hope to annex them diplomatically. Thus Russia's only option of expansion is through military means. The sword, not the pen, will decide the future of the Bear.

Khanates seem to be the obvious target for Russian armies, but Czar is worried of growing power of newly created Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The banners of the Commonwealth fly high over the cities of Small and White Rus, and Polish-Russian border runs too close to the city of Moscow. The low cost of Polish cavalry enables it to recruit large and mobile armies and it is very likely they will turn their attention to Russia as soon as Russian armies are commited to war in the east. Czars understands that if he is ever to fulfill his ambitions, Poland has to be broken as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Meanwhile, Russia has to stregthen its diplomatic position. In March King of Denmark is offered to join our alliance with Princes of Pskov and Ryazan and Khan of Crimea. King gladly accepts the offer, hoping to secure his eastern borders against his unreliable Swedish vassal.

On July of 1492, Russia declares war on Kazan, decling the offer of help from its allies. Danylo Khomlskiy leads the army 38,000 infantry and 12,000 cavalry into Lipetsk, where 18,000 Tatars, mostly cavalry, attack Russian forces outside the walls of the city. In a short and bloody encounter enemy army is annihilated with Russian losses reaching 6,000 dead and wounded. Main Tatar army of 40,000 marches on Vladimir. Lipetsk is assaulted and taken in August. Tambow falls in September and Kazan itself is sacked two months later.

In November of 1492, Kazan Khan surrenders his state to Russia and Tatar army in Vladimir joins our victories forces. Its numbers total 10,000 infantry and 18,000 cavalry, while total Russian losses in this war are 19,000 infantry and 3,5 cavalry (only 4,000 infantry and 500 cavalry lost in combat).

In January 1493 Turkey declares war on Mamelukes. What Russians don't know yet is that war will change the future of their Motherland forever.

After giving his armies 6 months of rest, Czar orders them again to prepare for war. In June of 1493 the war is declared on Golden Horde and this time Russian allies are called on for help. In July 28,000 Tatars led by the Khan himself and 30,000 Russians led by Danylo Kholmskiy clash near the city of Kuybyshev. After the dust settles, only 2,000 Russians are left standing. Enemy army is annihilated.

This war proves to be unlike the lighting campaing in Kazan. As winter strikes, Russian forces keep on fighting, desperate to finish the war before Polish King decides to take advantage of the situation. Czar keeps 60,000 troops in reserve to counter potential attack by Commonwealth.

In April of 1494 Crimean Khan makes a separate peace with the Horde, receiving Lugansk and Donetsk. Czar is pleased with the support the Crimeans had provided, and welcomes their expansion. After all, it provides him with a permanent Casus Beli on his southern neighbor...Yes, this is right - neighbor. In August Samara falls and the territory of the Golden Horde is incorporated into Russian empire. Samara's golden mines greatly increase Russia's income and enable the recruitment of new troops. The war costed Russia 85,000 troops, and even the taste of victory cannot heal the suffering of the mothers. However, as those who deserted the army or simply were lost in the struggle, return for homes, the number of complaints dramatically decreases.

Kholmsky is called to Moscow and receives a hero's welcome. In two years he doubled the size of the state and increased the orestige of the Russian army. The money received from the new provinces were spent on the research of land military technology and soon enough Russian army was brought up to the standards of its European foes.

In February Sibir declares war on Uzbeks, which prove to be a fatal mistake as they loose two provinces and forced to pay war indemnities.

In July of 1495 Czar is informed that Polish armies left their positions in the northern part of the Commonwealth and are marching south toward the Turkish border. Two weeks later our Crimean allies inform us that Poland with its Persian and Moldovan allies is now at war with Ottoman empire. Ivan III orders his troops to move closer to the Polish border.

In October the court in Kremlin receives sad news, as Danylo Kholmskiy, hero of Kazan and Samara, dies of the old age. Neither enemy bullets nor enemy sabres could end his brilliant career, but he could do nothing against the time, this invisible foe of mankind.

Danylo Shenja is ordered to take command of Kholmskiy's veterans in Bogutjar and proceed with the war preparations.

After two wars Russian forces numbered 57,000 infantry and 44,000 cavalry - hardly a force to bring down Polish Commonwealth. Czar ordered the recruitment of 30,000 infantry. Many of the veterans of the war against Golden Horde were recruited for a second time, many of them looking forward for a first winter to leave the army.

In December 1495 Spain declares war on France. As all their allies join the war, the conflict spreads wide across Western Europe, Italy being the main battlefield.

In April of 1496, as Polish armies are pursuit of defeated Turks, the declarion of war is delievered to the Polish King. He immideately dispatches the envoy to Turkey, which is only happy to make peace after its recent defeats. After that Poland pleas to its allies not to desert it in that difficult hour, and more honor to them that they comply with the terms of their alliance.

Russian allies are called to arms too, Crimeans are first to engage the enemy. They do a wonderful job of slowing down returng Polish forces and bringing to a halt the armies of Persia. Pskov armies besiege the cities close the them, while Ryazan and Denmark take their time to reach the battlefields of Lithunia and Small Russia. Russian commanders face difficult decision. The numerous Russian cavalry is hardly suited for the assault of enemy city and only assaults can bring Russia a victory over Poles. Czar Ivan makes it clear that this will be a war of total conquest, so that Poland will not be able to threaten Russia in the future. Thus, the army has to capture as many provinces as possible in the start of the war to cripple Polish economy. And so, Russian cavalry is sacrificed, thrown on the city walls alongside the infantry, to prevent Poles from mustering huge cavalry armies of their own and counter-attacking widely spread Russian forces. The heroism of our patriots alone was enough to break the will of many Polish defenders, but after every successful assualt the walls of the fortresses were covered with Russian blood.

The result of this heroic effort was such that when Polish troops had returned from Turkey, at least the third of their country was already in the hands of Russian soldiers.
The struggle, however, went on, all Polish offers of peace were rejected, regardless of terms. However, the war was slowing down, as Russian treasury was emptied to the bottom. In October of 1496, Czar decides to take a loan. 40,000 infantry is raised. In addition, all monthly income is set to go straight to the treasury.

The war itsef is hell. The first winter, thought by many to be the end of all, is followed by the second and then the third. As Russian armies move deeper into the enemy territory, they are unabled to return to their bases in winter. Attrition is high and desertions are common. New troops are raised, but even recruitment soon becomes a problem. In January 1497, for the first time Russia reaches its limit in manpower resources.

For awhile, the war spreads to the east, Polish and Persians are able to make a breakthrough in unfortified province of Voronezh. Soon. however, the activities shift back to the west.

In June 1497 there are almost no Polish armies in sight, which gives great hope to Russian military commanders that there war is close to the end. However, these hopes are brought to an end, as Crimean Khan decides to pull out of the war, demanding and receiving from Polish King two provinces of Bessarabia and Kremenchug. France annexes Milan.

In September of 1497 Spain annexes Helvetia. Apparently both countries are using this war as an excuse to annex smaller countries around them.

As victory seems so close, Poles introduce artillery to the battlefields of the Eastern Europe. All the fortresses remaining in their hands are reinforced with guns, making it almost impossible for our weakened armies to take them by assualts. In addition, Russian manpower resources are exhausted once again, and Polish King receives long-desired break to strengthen his army. He uses this chance to the fullest extent. Supported by artillery, Poles go on the offensive, re-taking some fortresses and inflicting defeat after defeat on smaller Russian armies. Pskov, seeing no end to this war, makes peace, Prince being bribed by Polish money. Denmark is happy to get out of the war as well, especially since they are in position to demand Danzig, captured with the help of Russian forces.

War draggs on, the primary theatre shifting to Polish provinces, giving our armies a break during winter. Polish armies continue their offensive in Ukraine, re-taking some provinces there. This situation lasts until 1502, when Russia finally makes peace with Moldova. In the same time, Russians start making more use of artillery themselves, finally resuming their offensive.

In August of 1503 Czar makes a review of his army, Its numbers, greatly diminished by years of non-stop warfare, stand at 33,000 infantry, 8,000 cavalry and 89 guns. Only 6 Polish provinces are left unconquered. However, Polish army is at its highest in the last 5 years. Some 60,000 brave Poles are still waging a war on Russia, a possibility of defeat never even crossing their minds. Polish King repeatedly asks for peace and Czar worries that if the war is to last longer the peasants may find the burden of taxes and recruitment too heavy and revolt against his authority. This would mean the end of his dreams, and furthermore, it would mean that all Russia's losses in this war were as meaningless as their peasants' lives.

In April of 1504 Teutons attack Pskov and we decide to stay out of the struggle. However, Czar soon re-enters the alliance with Ryazan', while Crimea throws its lot with Astrakhan'.

In 1505 Vasiliy, heir to the throne of Russia, takes command of the army in Poland. He proves to be an able commander, knowledgable of siege warfare. He is welcome with open arms by Russian generals, who are quite tired by the war and see him as the only hope to end it.

The war draggs on for yet another 3 years. Polish army desperately tries to keep control of at least one province, while Russians are as desperate to deliver their coup-de-grace. At one time, Poles defeat the 30,000 strong Russian army, and Czar Ivan, not being able to recover from these sad news, dies in Kremlin, leaving to his son the country completely exhausted by war. However, a year later, Vasiliy delivers a victory Russians long yearned for. As defeated Polish armies lay siege to Posen, Vasiliy captures last Polish city in Lithuania. Polish King at last surrenders his country to the Russian Bear, and entire Polish army, at this point made mostly of mercinary Cossacks, is transfered under the command of Michail Glinskiy (4/4/4/1). As Russian officials replace Poles in the conquered territory, young Czar only hopes are to hold on to his conquests and to bring peace to his country. Persian Shah still refuses to end the war, even though he is completely unable to reach Russia by land.

The conquest of Poland brought many Catholic people in the Empire, and the religious tolerance to the Catholics has to be set higher...At least for now. Poland is on the break of rebellion, and almost all Russian forces concentrate there, anticipating the upcoming struggle. Russian army numbers 44,500 infantry, 5,000 cavalry and 89 guns. Russian commanders, all heroes of Twelve Years War, as the War of Polish Conquest is called in the Western Europe, parade in the streets of Warsaw. They are Andrey Chelyadin(2/1/3), hero of Lithuania, Dmytro Shenja(4/3/4), conqueror of Warsaw, Michail Glinskiy (4/4/4/1), Czar's best military advisor in siege warfare and Vasiliy Repnin (3/2/2).

As Poland is conquered, Russian Bear is awaken. Europe witnesses the rise of the new power in the East and its rulers gather their ranks and plan for the defense of their own domains. And the offense, as too many people know, is the best defense in all times.

Last edited:
WOW, super aggressive. Makes a change from the usual Russia plans of expanding east.
Conquering P-L in one hits actually very impressive.
:eek:

WOW, super aggressive. Makes a change from the usual Russia plans of expanding east.

Thanks, I thought so myself :) To expand a bit on this topic: I once was browsing the general topics forum and found an article on Russia and its initial strategies. According to the author, Russia had only two real alternatives in the beginning: either expand to the east (classical) or north-west, through Sweden and Teutonic order. As for Poland, the only suggestions I found did not ran past 'kick it fast while its on its back and grab a province or two at a time' and 'play defensively, outflank, take their capital and pray for the white peace'. Now, I know that it is pretty much historic, but, in the words of Ariel, I wanted something different. Taking out Poland in the beginning seemed a resonable thing at a time. It would surely save my Russia a lot of headaches in the future. I was counting on five years of war and was completely unprepared for twelve. And if that seemed hard, wait till the next part.

P.S. Screenshots are coming, of course ;)

Last edited:
Nalivaiko,

Great story, and a different strategy from the usual one.

Keep the good work, and I have noticed that you changed you AAR writing style from the previous AAR. And I can say to better side.

Btw, I see that in IGC, Russia has more leaders at a time, while in standard GC it was only one lider at a time, and maybe once I had two (not taking into consideration - conquestadors).

Cornelius.

WOW!!! You annexed Poland!!! Can't belive this!!! I'm playing Russia as well and i just pray that Poles are more intrested in Turkey then in me (they have a lot of allies as well: Spain, France, Hungary, Brandenburg and Venice- not a force to pick a fight with).

Btw, no more English then???

Did you disable all of the other majors or only Poland?
When I played Russia in a recent game I also put PolLit to their knees, but not without it taking a bunch of wars and - consequently - a great deal of time. Personally I don't like disabling all the majors, annexing France or inheriting Spain just isn't my way to play ;-)
But I'm no conquer the world player...
With your style of play, maybe you'll be able to achieve the highest BB of all history. :D

WoW! I'm playing Russia in hard/aggressive mode and finding Poland a real hindrance, always waiting for me to be in trouble and declaring war! But my real problem is Sweden, however I fight the &%$%** Swedes are always winning the battles! (better generals?) I end up winning in the end (barely) but it costs me very dearly in men horses and whips!! How do you fare against them?

Wow, I didn't expect to see so many replies over night :) Than you all for dropping by and lending me your support.

Cornelius, yes I noticed too there are more historic leaders for Russia. It again proves a point that Russia is not weak in IGC. 5

Hjarg, sorry, friend, I guess no more english - the forum is full of English AARs and readers attention is always diverted from one to another. Not healthy :) Besides, I really just wanted to see if English can fare against French on the continent early on. Ariel was the one who inspired me to write my English AAR and he's the one who inspired me to write this one. I wanted to try...something different.

Cadorna, I removed all major tags. For long time I opposed doing it, but with time I got frustrated not being able to annex reduced to two-three provinces majors. So, I said to myself - no more. This is not the game of world conquest, but I want to be able to annex anyone I wish to annex. If Turks can annex Mamelukes, Hungary, Venice and Austria (seen it in many arrs, almost made it in mine), why can't Russia annex Poland?

Pan Zagloba, oh man, they are already revolting, but you would be suprised to hear that their revolts actually help Russia :) Anyway, at one point I considered letting all Polish Catholic provinces to revolt and gain independence: less trouble for me. But my boyars threatened me with rebellion and I hastily reconsidered :)

Cockney, my plans are many. Patriarchs in Constantinople, Rome and Jerusalem, how about that? Of course, this is just the side effect, I really plan to expand Russia beyond imaginable. But this is not going to be a world conquest game. I will be content with a better half :)

driedcow...coming, I promise, game at work, I'll make it a priority for the day.

nabo1er, Swedes did present themselves later on, and I was forced to fight a defensive war. I didn't have my best generals to fight them, they overan unprotected provinces and were later all annihilated by almost equal number of Russians...I bet they will come back though... :)

Nalivayko:

Terrific stuff. I have of course been following your English Timeline and all your insightful comments in Ariel's Grand Thread, but this is really extremely fun! :)

What I like especially is that this AAR sounds Russian. You leave out many articles (the/a), and I find myself reading it with a Russian accent, rolling the r's :D

Meanwhile, Russia has to stregthen its diplomatic position. In March King of Denmark is offered to join our alliance with Princes of Pskov and Ryazan and Khan of Crimea. King gladly accepts...
Can't wait for the awakened bear to prowl!

What I like especially is that this AAR sounds Russian. You leave out many articles (the/a), and I find myself reading it with a Russian accent, rolling the r's

Maybe it sounds Russian because I am Russian? :)

Thanks for your comments, glad you like this aar as well. I've been planning it for a long, long time. You can say all my previous aars were just rehearsals for this one.

Last edited:
Part II. Enemy at the Gates

Vasily III was no less ambitious than his father. Unlike his father, however, he inherited the country that was hated by both Catholic and Muslim worlds, whose only friends were no longer her allies, and which was completely devasted by 12 years of warfare. The Czar remembers the prophecy of monk Filofei addressed to his father:

"To you who have been selected to rule, by the highest, the all-powerful and almighty hand of God, by Whose will all rulers on earth govern and Whom all great people praise and about Whom the powerful write the truth, I address these words to you, the illustrious sovereign, Grand Prince, occupier of the high throne, the Orthodox Christian Czar and lord of all, the administrator of all Holy Churches of God and of the Holy Universal and Apostolic Church and of the Church of the Holy Mother of God, that has made such honest and illustrious progress that it has been enabled to triumph over the Church of Rome as well as over the Church of Constantinople.

The Apollinarian heresy caused the downfall of old Rome. The Turks used their axes to shatter the doors of all churches of the Second Rome, the city of Constantinople. Now in Moscow, the new Third Rome, the Holy Ecumenical Apostolic Church of your sovereign state shines brighter than the sun in the universal Orthodox Christian faith throughout the world. Pious Czar! Let your state know that all states of the Orthodox faith have now merged into one, your state. You are the only true Christian ruler under the sky!

Czar! As long as you hold that position, be mindful always of God. Fear God who has bestowed so much on you. Do not rely on gold, wealth, or glory! All of that is collected here and it will remain here on earth. Tsar! Remember the Blissful who held the sceptre in His hand and the imperial crown on His head and said: "Do not turn your heart to wealth that is running away from you." The wise Solomon said: "Wealth and gold are valued not when they are hidden, but when people offer help to those in need"...... Czar! During your rule remember [an additional] two commandments.... Do not violate the order which was chosen by your great predecessor Constantine, the beatific Vladimir, the great and God-selected Yaroslav, and all other blissful and saintly rulers from whom you have descended. Czar! Do not harm the Holy churches of God and honest monasteries. Do not expropriate that which has been given to God in return for eternal blessing of the memory of a family. The Fifth Great and Holy Ecumenical Council issued a very strict injunction against such action....

Now I beg you and beg you again, please remember what I have said. For God's sake, please also remember that now all Christian kingdoms have merged into your tsardom. Henceforth we can expect only one kingdom to come. That kingdom is eternal. I have written this because, admiring you as I do, I have appealed and have prayed to God that He may bless you. Change your stinginess to generosity and your inclemency to kindness. Comfort those who cry and moan day and night. Protect the innocent from their tormentors. I repeat here what I have written above. Pious Czar! Listen and remember that all Christian kingdoms have now merged into one, your czardom. Two Romes have fallen. The third stands firm. And there will not be a fourth. No one will replace your Christian czardom ..."

He doubts its wisdom. Catholic Rome still stands, and commands the hearts of millions of Catholics. Czaregrad - The City of Caesars, Constantinople, as its known outside of Russia, still did not loose its importance and now serves as a center of Islam. Stuck between these two is Moscow. Third Rome it might be, it is hardly alone, although it does stand firm against the sea of the infidels. However, young Czar fears, soon, very soon the power of Moscow, as well as his, will be tested by those who envies Russian victory. He desperately tries to make peace with Persia, but stubborn Shah refuses him this luxury.

In January of 1509 Pope begins to preach a new crusade, this time against Orthodox 'heretics'. There is only one church, he says, and it is our 'universal', Catholic Chruch. The ones who go against the union of Orthodox and Catholic Churches in 1452 will surely burn and hell. He hints that those who will help heretics to it will receive Church forgivness for past and future sins and will gain Paradise after his death.

February of 1509. Hungary is the first to raise the crusade. Its kings dream of the Polish crown and are not hesitant to fight for it. Hungary is joined by a coaltion of Austria. Bohemia, Bavaria and Wurtemburg.

Later this month Astrakhan declares a war, claiming the lands of the Golden Horde as their own. Sibir and reluctant Crimea, who still appears to be a friend of Russia, follow. However, Russian diplomats manage to persuade Astrakhan' Khan that this is entirely Christian matter and he will gain nothingif Russia is defeated, for surely after that Catholics will turn on the followers of Islam. 250,000 roubles convince the Khan of the wisdom of this words, and he agrees to call of his troops.

March 1509. Moldova joins the crusade, followed by Brandenburg and its alliance, which at the time includes Venice, Hansa, Pommerania, Hannover and Portugal. German troops, combined with Hungarian allies overun Westen Poland and lay siege to all Polish lands, but Krakow, where Michail Glinskiy defeats one Hungarian army after another.

Sweden smells blood and loot and declares a separate war of their own. Their troops march in undefended Russian provinces of the north and later appear near the walls of Novgorod. They lay siege to Ingermanland too, but their plans there are ruined by the following event. In April Teutonic Order declares war on Russia, calling on England for help. They storm Ingermanland fortress and take the province for themselves, forcing Swedes to seek fortune elsewhere.

Ryazan' dishonors our alliance for the third time, and Czar decides Russia is better off with Pskov and Denmark.

In August Michail Glinskiy inflicts yet another defeat on combined forces of Hungary and Bohemia, but receives a mortal wound in a battle and dies in the matter of days. Young Czar takes command of his army, but he faces the impossible odds, as his enemies field the armies 10 times larger than his own in total.

In October Persia is bought off with 160,000 roubles, Shan persuaded by the same reasons as Astrakhan Khan.

June 1510. Boyars are unhappy with Czar for spending tax money so freely on bribes, but he understands it is the only way for Russia to survive the Western Crusade. Russian manpower resources are limited, and all the money in the world cannot raise new soldiers from the dead. Hungary is the next country to be bought off, and it calls off its allies from Poland. By this time, most of it is in the hands of Brandenburg, and Hungarian allies are more than happy to pull off, since there is no profit for them to fight for Brandenburg eagle. Germans keep on fighting their own crusade, not against Orthodox, but against the Slavs, treating Poles no different than Russians or Ukrainians. Poles raise in rebellion, taking control of two provinces and fighting Germans in other three. Vasiliy picks this time to lay siege to Western Prussia, in hope of reducing the damage the Germans have done to Russian prestige.

Meanwhile, Teutons completely overun Lithuanina and White Russian lands. They cannot be opposed in field, since all armies are concentrated in the west, fighting Brandenburg, and in the north, fighting Swedes. The sacrifices are to be made, and Czar decides that he cannot wait any longer. He cedes Polotsk and pays 104,000 roubles to the Teutons, getting them off his back.

Month later, 25,000 Russian troops meet 24,000 Swedes off the walls of Novgorod, and inflict such a serious damage on Swedish army, that their King immideately sues for white peace.

Peace has to be complete, and so in February of 1511 Western Prussia is ceded to Brandenburg, and in March of 1512 white peace made with Moldova. Boyars are unhappy and openly call Czar a traitor...until some of them are beheaded and their heads are put on display around the Czardom. The country, devasted by war, is only grateful to Vasiliy for putting an end to this madness. The army is reduced to 13,000 infantry, 10,000 cavalry and 39 guns.

Enemy at the gates did not and would not crush the will of Russian patriots. The country, although partially defeated, did survive the Catholic crusade, and returned the blows with interest. Only two provinces were lost and money... Russian land is rich and with proper management there will be more cash than Czar knows what to do with. The important thing was that Western Crusaders left...It was time to show the West the Russian Crusade, the likes of which they've never seen.

Russia after the War of Polish conquest in 1508

Last edited:
Catolic Crusade

Nalivaiko,

That was a nightmare for Russia, to face so many oponents in the same time - Wow, you did great and used the best strategy in this war - you make one step backward (giving a province) in order to make a longer jump. I think in 5 years (according to the peace treaty conditions your neighbours will face a big drop in stability if they declare war on Russia in this time) Russian armies will increase in number so that they can face future wars. I bet that for the next 5 years all your money will go to recruiting new armies and upgrading border fortresses. :)

Cornelius.

Salut Nalivayko!

Buying time with flesh and bones while buying peace with ducats saved your kingdom this time! It could have been worse. I find that when fighting two separate wars and there is real danger of losing, I will be better off to settle early and keep part of my army intact to fight off the weakest enemy. Considering the state of your army, the non existent reserve of manpower and the extent of your borders (nightmarish) you got off rather well.
I bet you are planning your revenge already!;)
Go east I say and open the gates to China. Come back west in a hundred years when your enemies will have exhausted themselves in endless wars. Go for those 3 gold mines you will encounter near China! Once your economy will be bringing in around 150 ducats a month, you will be years ahead of the competition!
Cheers!

das

I still don't have EU, but I think you should conquere Finland and Probaltika (I also from Russia, so I think that you know where Pribaltika). This will give you important ports, I guess.

Greetings to all. Can't say how grateful I am for your comments :)

Cornelius, it was a nightmare all right, but it was even worse when I had to give those two provinces. And you are right on top about the course of the following years. Raised an army a bit, upgraded all the fortresses save those in Catholic Poland and promoted bailiffs in all Orthodox provinces. Needless to say, no tech development as yet.

nabo1er, I dream of China now. Sibir and Astrakhan are the only two khanates standing on my way now, but the problem is as soon as I declare a war, the other countries will backstab me. My bb is 27...the price of success. I'll have to wait. Besides, my only conquistador is long dead and I didn't receive the other one yet.

Das, when you say Finland, you mean I should conquer it from Sweden? I will ask you in turn: what Sweden :) But Pribaltika, i.e. Teutonic Order, is first priority on my list. The Knights proved to be extremely powerful, with no Poland to curtail their their ambitions. In order to sevure my flank, I simply have to remove them from political arena. The problem is those guys turned Protestant, and I really hate to have another religion in my czardom.

As for their ports, I already increased my colony in Ingermanland to the size of the city and port is fully functionable. As if I know what to do with it: Russia is yet to become a maritime power.

Salut Nalivayko,

I agree that you do have a problem out west! The prudent way (but then again you seem a little rash;) ) would be to let them declare war on you and try to settle for cash instead of territories you would be hard pressed to keep anyway. They would get the bb penalty, not you. Of course this would mean to be on the defensive... And boy do I hate that!
But then again, you would be free to dabble east.
Don't forget to suck up to a big power out west... it can come in handy!
Cheers!

Russians don't suck up :) Ever