• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part III. No Pain - No Gain.

On November of 1512, news reach the Czar that Venetian alliance goes to war against Turkey. For us it means that Brandenburg will stay out of Russian affairs for awhile. As Czar is urged to avenge Mother Russia for all its sufferings, he wisely decides to use the years of peace to bring the country up in terms of economy and military power. All support for technical development is cut and all the money go to introducing a better taxation system in all Orthodox provinces and upgrading fortresses in all provinces with 0% revolt risk. Army is raised somewhat, but it takes hits from another direction. Death, this invincible enemy, takes its toll on the heroes of Russia. In 1514 Chelyadin dies, soon followed by Shenja. The are given full military honors, and their families well taken care of by the Czar.

In January of 1515 Patriarch receives the news of Reformation from his spies in Europe. As Catholic Church was not able to break the back of the Russian Bear, many began to doubt its efficiency and divine right to rule Europe. With no Poland to protect the Catholic course in the East, many Princes of Germany led people in open revolt against Pope in Rome, taking their time to loot the churches in their estates, thus enriching themselves beyond the point of imaginable.

In May, England makes peace with France. Instead of surrendering Calais, they cede Kent, as if to have a Casus Beli on its neighbor in years to come.

Colonization of Russian northern lands continues, priority given to Ingermanland. On July of 1518, Holstein revolts for the first time. We break alliance with Denmark to seize playing secondary role in it. Immideately, we invite Ryazan', Pskov and Denmark. Denmark King, stubborn as an ass, refuses our invitation and allies itself with Sweden. The most unusual of event from our perspective, it will soon lead with another Union between Scandinavian countries.

In 1519 Narva grows to the size of the city and we gain our first functionable port in the Baltic.

In September we learn with astonishment that Turkish vassal Wallachia gained Cyclades from Venice. In following May, Turks make peace with
Venice getting Illyria. In June Czar's last talented general, Vasiliy Repnin, dies without seeing another war.

The following year two events capture our attention. Helevetia declares independece from Spain and becomes its most dedicated enemy.
Astrakhan' and Sibir declare war on Uzbeks, which we are very glad to hear. The army is brought up to 129,000 infantry, 17,000 cavalry and 122 guns and it keeps growing.

In July of 1522, Turkey and its allies attack Moldova, whose only support comes from Hungary. The war doesn't last long. Moldova is annexed and Hungary is forced to pay war indemnities.

Turks are on the move again and this time their Jihad is directed against Holy Russia. In March of 1525, Ottoman Porta declares war on Russia. They are supported by Walachia, Algiers and most important, our former ally, the Khan of Crimea. Other members of Turkish alliance: Georgia, Hedjaz and Aden do not dare to go in war against
Russian Bear.

Vasiliy is furios of these developments, as they completely ruin his plans of the conquest of Astrakhan' Khanate. He especially is angry at the Khan of Crimea, whose relationship with Russia was always friendly. Czar personally leads the army (31/5.5/60) against the Khan.

No sooner that he enters the Khanate steppes the news from the West reach his tent. Teutons(leader), Prussia, England,
Hungary(leader), Bavaria, Bohemia, Brandenburg(leader), Denmark, Hansa, Pommerania, Portugal, Venice and Ragusa all declare war on
Russia. Madness of 1509 repeats itself again. However, in July of the same year the Brandenburg alliance is dragged by Venice to war against
Turkey.

As if it breaks a balance set by divine forces, Astrakhan' and Sibir decide its time to intervene and declare war on their northern neighbor. They couldn't pick a better time, as winter descends
on Eastern Europe. Some say it is impossible to fight during the winter. Fools. Russians fought in winter for centuries, using frozen rivers as roads. On the other hand, it hampered the movements of their enemies and deprived them of their supplies, like it did with Astrakhan' forces when they decidedto besiege Samara.

In April of 1526, Vasiliy already was in possession of Donetsk, Kremenjug and Crimea. Khan was forced to make peace, ceding the former two provinces to the Czar.

In June we receive the news of the annexation of Ragusa by Turkey. Czar did not even bother to think about it twice, as he was already on his way to the east. The war with Astrakhan' took a different direction as Russian forces repelled Khan's attacks on Samara and went on besieging Astrakhan' fortresses in turn.

In year of 1527, English alliance fights French, who are supported by Scotland, Helvetia, Navarra and Lorraine. In September we bribe Turkish vazier with insignificant amount of 44,000 roubles and hepersuades the Sultan to make peace. In February of 1528, Holstein becomes independent for the second time. Later it is re-annexed by Denmark, only to revolt for another time.

In May 55,000 more roubles are sent to Brandenburg to make peace on that front and secure our flanks against an attack on Teutonic Order. The Knights again proved to be a great menace, and there is no way Russia will have to cede yet another province to the Order.

In August Czar captures four core provinces of Astrakhan' khanate, but annexation is out of the question as they still possess a newly conquered province in Uzbek steppes. After some fighting with Sibir , Czar wisely decides to make peace, demanding Orenburg, Uralsk and Volgograd.

Meanwhile Turkey gets Istria from Venice and, what's more important, the forces of Hungarian alliance completely overun Poland and Ukraine.
Czar moves his army to the west, supplying it with recruits on the move. One by one Russian cities are liberated and enemy is pushed back. In some provinces, he encounters rebels, whose fate
is similar to the one of the Hungarians. They are all slaughtered to the last man. Who will come to us by the sword will die by the sword.

During this campaign Czar finds another talented general in his army. His name is Shah Ali Kasimovskiy (4/2/2), from the eastern parts of
Russia. He is immideately sent to take control of the Western army. As South Army, led by Czar, is fighting Hungarians and their allies, Western army is operating in Lithuania and northern Poland, liberating the cities taken by Prussians and Teutons. A month later Vasiliy Mikukhinskiy (3/2/2), yet another new talant, takes control of
the Northern army, which goal is to bring war to the Teutons. After defeating the knights in Novgorod and Tula, he marches on Livonia and
after a brief assault, captures the city.

Turkey has grown in size for since the last defeat from the Russians, the Khan decided to throw his lot with Constantinople and Crimea
became a part of Turkish empire.

In April of 1533 Turkey again declares war, but Czar is adamant in his decision to secure his western flank first. One after another, he
captures back provinces on the Western bank of Dnieper, and then moves to the north-east, to liberate the province of Mozyr. Crossing the river, he gets a fever and has to live the army to a less competent general. In December he dies, never fulfilling all of his dreams, not even living to see a victory. He is succeded by his wife, Elena Glinski, who will remain a regent for her son Ivan. She is faced with a difficult task of bringing a country out of another prolonged war. In March she makes a white peace with Hungary, but is astonished by another declarion of war from Astrakhan' and Sibir. In February of 1536, Ryazan' makes peace with Turkey and receives Kouban', suprising the whole continent.

Czarina decides its time to make peace with our southern neighbor. Turkey is bought off once again.

Meanwhile, all provinces of Teutonic Order come to the control of Russian armies, but it still refuses to surrender, relying upon its Prussian allies to bail them out of this disaster. A controversial decision is made by Elena to cede Galicia to Prussia, thus getting them out of the war. As soon as it is done, Teutons surrender the
remainants of their army (some 17,000) and their provinces are incorporated into Russian realm, four of them full of Protestant heretics, whom Russian Church detests even more than Catholics.
Russia gets its first fleet. 4 warships and two transports sail to the port of Tallin. In the same month of April 1537, peace is made with England and her miserable forces are called off the continent. Following May, Czarina decides that Russia has seen enough of fighting and makes peace with Sibir, basically letting go an easy target.

In September of 1539 England goes in yet another war with France.
These news are of little importance, unlike the ones of Turks annexing Georgia in following May.

Czar decides to convert Protestants in Baltic provinces to Orthodox faith by sword if not by word. Teutons rebel and declare independence. The rebellion is crushed within a month, but conversion takes a slower pace.

In 1542 Turks attack Austria, but Elena is too busy improving relationships with the members of our alliance. In July of 1542 she convinces Prince of Ryazan to accept suzerenity of Russia and Ryazan' principality becomes our vassal.

In January of 1543 Michail Glinskiy, veteran of Twelve Years War and Patriotic War of 1508-1512, takes the regency in his hands. Nothing significant happens during his reign, Hungary cedes Banat to Turkey and Persian gets Syria from Ottoman Porta. Venice goes to yet another war against its easten neighbor. Things remain the same in Russia, investments made in infrastructure.

January of 1547 Michail is replaced by Ivan IV, who at last became of age to rule Russia. He is organized, industrial, technical, unstable, religious liberal (tell it to protestants in Baltic provinces) and unpredictable. Immideately he invests 1,000,000 roubles in infrastructure and trade and proceedes to wage a diplomatic offensive on Pskov, which soon submits to his authority and becomes a vassal of Russia. Later he empties the treasury and sends 500,000 roubles to Denmark, dramatically improving relationships between our two countries, and luring Denmark in Russian alliance.

No pain - no gain. Russia does not possess a lot of diplomats to play diplomatic games like its Western neighbors. It doesn't have an extensive network of alliances, which may help it in coming wars. Her conquests are not in a style of blitzkrieg anymore, for each new province thousands of lives have to be sacrificed. But no other country has the reserves of patience and determination of Russia. One step back, two steps forward, this dance of death moves Russian borders further west and east, until the long-awaited breakthrough will take place and victorious Cossack begin their march until the ends of the earth.

Last edited:
nalivayko

My motto in Empires in Arms as russia is "The defense of mother russia begins at the rhine." Its 1515 and you have already crossed the vistula, don, dvina, dniepr and neman can the oder, elbe and rhine be far off??

btw taking provinces from sibir and uzbeks does not cost BB, but annexing them will cost 1 bb per province. Reduce them to 1 province each and then annex the last one for the cost of one bb for each country.

Thanks for advice, and a very good advice it is :) I was worried about my Astrakhan' exploits, but it appeared all that happened was for the better not for worst. Rhine? It will mean moving to Protestant Germany, and I am not sure I am prepared for it. I might be forced to do it though, if Brandenburg keeps on attacking me... At any rate, they will bring upon themselves, don't blame me for the slaughter before conversions :)

As has been said before your really coming across as Russian! I can feel those cold winters as I read your report. I think you have a hell of a lot of fighting ahead of you unless you can calm down your numerious enemies. I think the there's a saying that fits your style and it goes something like this. "He who sows the wind reaps the whirlwind". How large is Turkey and do you consider them your biggest threat? I'll drink a toast with vodka tonight for you and your success!

Joe

Whirlwind? Looks like a hurrican from my side :) As for Turkey...well, you'll see it all in the screenshots, but lucky for me (it means, it goes more or less according to history, which I like) it got huge, annexing Mamelukes, Crimea and Georgia. And no, they are not my largest threat, being busy in Balkans and in Middle East. They do have a casus beli against me (Podolia) and I have a casus beli against them (Lugansk). Otherwise, we could be friends :)
My biggest threat does not come from one single country, but if I had to choose one: Brandnenburg or Hungary, since they bring a lot of alliance members with them.

Heh, looks like your conquest is costing you dearly :)

I wouldn't worry about conversion of Teutons though... just some quick rebellions/slaughter and populations should be reduced to 5000. Same as Poland though.

Though you'll burn in hell for even thinking of forced conversion of Estonia :D.

Originally posted by nalivayko

...In September we learn with astonishment that Turkish vassal Wallachia gained Cyclades from Venice...

...Who will come to us by the sword will die by the sword...

Hi Nalivaiko,
Astonishing part and again you proved that Russians can fight quite remarkably :)

Btw, how the hell {sorry for this words} did an inland country like Walachia, without a port and respectively ships, got on the Cyclades islands to conquer them from Venice?

And is it Aleksandr Nevskyi, who said those words :D ?

Cornelius.

Originally posted by Cornelius

Hi Nalivaiko,
Astonishing part and again you proved that Russians can fight quite remarkably :)

Btw, how the hell {sorry for this words} did an inland country like Walachia, without a port and respectively ships, got on the Cyclades islands to conquer them from Venice?

And is it Aleksandr Nevskyi, who said those words :D ?

Cornelius.

The Cyclades are walkable from Hellas, even though they're islands.

Zagloba

nalivayko

you will either go down in flames or rise from a storm of destruction as a russian phoenix that will turn europe "brown"

Greetings from the Kremlin :) Thank you all for stopping by.

Hjarg, you scared me. I decided to abandon my idea of forced conversion. Let those Protestant heretics pray whichever way they want. As long as they pay their taxes :)

Cornelius, I guess Pan Zagloba answered your first question. The answer to second one is yes, it was Alexander Nevsky. I hope he looks down on me from Heavens and is pleased with the work I've done on Teutonic Order.

Pan Zagloba, thank you for coming in. Like you predicted, Poles did wage numerous rebellions. Now they are at peace, realizing and supporting Russian dream of Pan-Slavonic empire.

Viking, this is the nature of Russian: they take their time to wae up, but once they are awake...You are in for a crazy ride.

Anyways, here comes a fourth part. See for yourself.

Part IV. Russians Are Coming

In 1550 Holstein rebels from Denmark for the fourth time. Ivan IV, eager to keep Danes as allies, decides to support Denmark's oppresive war. This, combined with his harsh treatment of Protestants, proves to be too much for Bohemia, who declares war and drags Hungary along.

Ivan IV, later to be known as Threatening (Terrible is such an unaccurate translation), is ready. He promotes new generals in the army. Mihail Vorotinskiy is one of the few, distinguished only by his excellents statistics (5/3/4/2!).

As expected, the hell breaks loose for the third time. The same month of January, Astrakhan' declares war, supported by Sibir. Uzbeks and Persians follow the month later and Russian traditional enemy Brandenburg comes knocking on our door again, this time bringing the gang of England, Prussia and Hansa along with them.

Czar does not hesitate a minute and declares the time has come to show the West and the East whose is truly a God chosen country. He calls for Russian crusade and thousands of Russians join the ranks of the army. Mihail Vorotinskiy leads the army in Prussia, while Sheremet'ev (4/3/4) captures Galicia. Seven months after the start of the war Prussia is annexed and 43,000 (30,000/3,000/100) Prussian army turns their weapons on their former allies. In the same time Prussian fleet (2/0/2) sails to Narva, increasing Russia's Baltic Navy.

Four months later Sheremet'ev sends the news to the Kremlin that after campaigning in Hungary he was able to capture the province Ruthenia and sack Budapest. Czar immediately sends an envoy to Hungarian King and demands that Ruthenians join their Ukranian brothers under the protection of Moscow. In January of 1511, Ruthenia is handed over to Russia and peace between kingdom of Hungary and Russian empire is made. Stubborn Bohemians refuse to acknowledge their defeat and keep on fighting, their morale boosted by Turkish declaration of war on Russia in March of 1551. Czar decides to concentrate on the Western front first and gain the victory there before turning to the south.

Meanwhile, Sha Ali is campaigning against combined forces of remaining Khantes, Uzbekistan and Persia.

By July of 1551, Vorotinskiy captures the provinces of Danzig, Western Prussia and Kustrin from Brandenburg and German Prince is forced to ask for peace, offering Czar two former provinces. Czar is delighted. Western Prussia, once ceded to Brandenburg in Patriotic War of 1508-1512, is Russia again. Rich trading center of Danzig, captured by Germans from Danes, is Russian as well. And all its done with a few losses and without sending Russia's scarce diplomats to Berlin. Vorotinskiy declared a hero of Prussia and Brandenburg campaign and sent to the south to deal with Turks.

In March of 1552, after capturing Silesia and Moravia and inflicting several defeats on Bohemian army, combined forces of Sheremet'ev and Andrey Kurbskiy (3/4/3/1) take Praha and force Bohemian King to beg for peace. Silesia and Moravia pass to Russian crown and Russian armies there turn to the south as well.

In June Shah Ali gains Igriz from Sibir, effectively removing them from the war.

In July of 1552, Austria declares war. It is joined by Spain, Baden, Cologne and Palatinat.

In December sad news reach the Czar, as one of his best commanders, Shah Ali Kasimovskiy, perishes in Orenburg, fighting combined Persian-Uzbek army. Victory is ours, but the army retreats further to Samara, as winter strikes the steppes and supplies become scarce. It is given to a new general, Danil Adashev (4/2/3/1).

In February, after Moravia falls to Austrian forces, Czar buys the Emperor off with 250,000 roubles, judging that their is its own time for everything and everybody.

In July of 1553, after liberating Podolia and Ruthenia from Turkish forces and capturing Bessarabia and Crimea, Vorotinskiy and Kurbskiy forces the Sultan to cede Bessarabia to the Russian crown. Crusaders turn to the east, where Muslims have expirienced relative success up to that point.

In July, Adashev captures the last province of Astrakhan', and the Khanate is annexed once and for all. His moves south, while Vorotinskiy proceeds north. Their forces easily overun Uzbek hordes and fortifications and in April of 1555 Uzbekistan becomes part of Russian empire. Persia immediately sues for white peace and Czar, sensing that this would be the best time for it, declares an end to the first Russian crusade. Victory is complete, enemies humiliated. In conquered provinces of the east, Mislims are converted by thousands to Orthodox faith, while its decided that Protestant heretics can be tolerated as long as they obey the Czar and pay their taxes. Europe is horrified with Russian successes, but its rulers are too busy fighting among themselves to organize any kind of effective defense. Russians are coming and they are here to stay.

Screenshots for Part IV.

Western Part of Russia in 1557

Middle Asia in 1557

Europe in 1557

Amazing! I'm playing Russia too, and I just annexed P-L... Then all Europe declared war on me.... Bah! I say. Luckily I threw them back.... You're doing very well, on both fronts. Keep up the good work!

I wonder if I can claim this beginning as 'nalivayko gambit'? :) Ah, Ariel's success keeps me sleepless...

Hmm... that wouldn't be a bad idea. But what I did was:

1490s: Consecative wars to take out the Khanates. Had a bit of trouble with Astrakhan, and a little with Sibir, but I still managed to deafeat them.

1500s: War vs. Teutons. Very difficult due to their superior troops. Managed to capture 2 provinces off of them. Annexed Crimea.

1510s - early 1520s: Fought the War of Polish Annexation. Managed to catch the Poles when they were fighting the Teutons. When this ended, I had P-L, but i was attacked by all my neighbors. Finally made peace, and I've almost crushed all the rebellions.

So I didn't go for the Poles right away, which still makes it your plan, and your's alone.

Shadowstrike, those Teutons can be a trouble, right? I considered them my enemy number one after Poles. And thank you for supporting my selfigh, self-promoting idea, but I really don't think I was the first one to think about it. First one to try it our, maybe... Congratulations on your successes, you should write an aar yourself. Good for comparisons. Myself, my wars have a similar pattern: I have a great success in one, and then barely win another one. Repeat.

Lucky you, got Crimea early on. In my game sneaky Turks manage to annex it before I get my hands on it. Shame. Now they've annexed Hungary as well, making south of my borders look dangerously green. But that's all good, since there is enough challenge to keep the game interesting :)

Hawk, thank you much, I intend on making it even greater

Funny thing was that I annexed Crimea when everyone else was after me, like the "Western crusade" in your AAR. Still, it revolts every second month, which makes war vs. Persia and Turkey there extremely hard. Now that you metion it, I should write an AAR... I'll see what I can do. And Turkish Hungary looks like a possibility. I could have annexed it when the Hungarians DoWed me during their war with the Turks, but I wanted to give the Europeans a chance in stopping them by themselves. :D

Right now, I think I'm in the same dilema you are. Going to war is the only way to get anything worthwhile, but if you do, all your neighbours jump on you. As for the war pattern, I've seen that far too often....

BTW, I eagerly look forward to your next installment. What glorious conquests will the rodina make next? ;)

Shadowstrike, my next installment...hm, probably tomorrow, it's 1:15 am now...ever heard that joke? - soldier, remember: when you sleep your enemy is always awake. From which goes that you should sleep as often as possible to keep your enemy awake and weary.

Anyhow, next war will be bloody with not so grand results, but an annexation will follow, a penny to a person who guesses which country :) And, of course, there are other things, besides wars, to tell about.

Suvorov, thank you, will do.

Nice AAR - though I see Denmark has managed to reunite Scandinavia in your game. Are you not worried by this?